• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
southerncross

VOR Leg 7 Auckland to Itajai

Race Experts are saying Mapfre and the rest are ahead of the front and may hang on longer like you said Steif

• Like 2

Race Experts are saying Mapfre and the rest are ahead of the front and may hang on longer like you said Steif

Just saw that. Too interesting in watching badassery.

Interesting the RE model pictured is more ECMWF 

^°°°Liz was only 21 when she jumped on Amer Sports 2 in 2001. Has been in the Boatyard since last edition. Little wonder she was Dee's first pick

But was she? I vaguely remember that she wasn’t picked until very late, and how we talked about how strange that was...

never mind, not important, and of course she’s an obvious pick for any team. Maybe that was what we said and turn the tide picked their team much later than the other teams? 

Thought this was pertinent.  From Chisnel:

It’s all about the timing
The navigators need to get their positioning and timing right, and not end up doing unnecessary distance on the wrong gybe in a bad shift just to avoid the ice boundary.

• Like 2

Was just thinking how the AKZO lead was flipped so quickly. With nav decisions so powerful, AKZO being outside AIS range was a big risk. 

• Like 2

Confused why the RE say MAPF winning the *speed* (rather than tactical) battle

TTOP, and others,  have a much better SOG average.

Team At position Instantaneous Average since last report
24h run Waypoint COG SOG VMG COG SOG VMG
MAPFRE 518.1 nm 135W 133° 23.4 kts 19.3 kts 67° 21.5 kts 18.3 kts
Team Brunel 514.8 nm 135W 42° 24.1 kts 13.1 kts 62° 22.7 kts 18.2 kts
Team AkzoNobel 505.1 nm 135W 123° 22.9 kts 20.9 kts 71° 19.2 kts 16.9 kts
Dongfeng Race Team 517.2 nm 135W 45° 20.5 kts 11.8 kts 62° 22.2 kts 17.4 kts
Vestas 11th Hour Racing 511.4 nm 135W 52° 21.1 kts 14.2 kts 62° 21.8 kts 17.2 kts
Turn The Tide on Plastic 517.9 nm 135W 48° 21.6 kts 13.8 kts 65° 23.1 kts 19.2 kts
Team Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag 469.8 nm 135W 133° 25.0 kts 21.2 kts 70° 17.9 kts 15.3 kts
  • Like 1

TTOP, and others,  have a much better SOG average.

MAPFRE 518.1 nm 135W 133° 23.4 kts 19.3 kts 67° 21.5 kts 18.3 kts
Team Brunel 514.8 nm 135W 42° 24.1 kts 13.1 kts 62° 22.7 kts 18.2 kts
Team AkzoNobel 505.1 nm 135W 123° 22.9 kts 20.9 kts 71° 19.2 kts 16.9 kts
Dongfeng Race Team 517.2 nm 135W 45° 20.5 kts 11.8 kts 62° 22.2 kts 17.4 kts
Vestas 11th Hour Racing 511.4 nm 135W 52° 21.1 kts 14.2 kts 62° 21.8 kts 17.2 kts
Turn The Tide on Plastic 517.9 nm 135W 48° 21.6 kts 13.8 kts 65° 23.1 kts 19.2 kts
Team Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag 469.8 nm 135W 133° 25.0 kts 21.2 kts 70° 17.9 kts 15.3 kts

Could they be referring to the 24 hour run? 

Could they be referring to the 24 hour run? 

That's the only number that shows MAPF leading, so maybe.

Still, not as impressive as the 522.9 nm reported less than an hour earlier (the interim 1806 report)

MAPFRE 522.9 nm 135W 53° 23.4 kts 16.4 kts 64° 22.7 kts 18.7 kts
Team Brunel 511.0 nm 135W 49° 25.2 kts 16.6 kts 66° 22.5 kts 19.1 kts
Vestas 11th Hour Racing 510.4 nm 135W 49° 18.8 kts 12.2 kts 65° 21.8 kts 18.2 kts
Dongfeng Race Team 516.4 nm 135W 46° 24.4 kts 14.7 kts 65° 22.2 kts 18.4 kts
Team AkzoNobel 513.1 nm 135W 127° 19.7 kts 17.6 kts 62° 20.7 kts 16.4 kts
Turn The Tide on Plastic 514.1 nm 145W 56° 23.1 kts 17.6 kts 67° 23.1 kts 20.1 kts
Team Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag 476.7 nm 135W 129° 21.7 kts 19.4 kts 59° 19.4 kts 14.2 kts

I would think fu..ing good move by Mapfre again. They really struggled in the light/no wind conditions in the last two legs but are excellent in strong wind conditions.

5ab411d725a71_ScreenHunter_09Mar_2221_27.jpg.d4a28d2fbab20d267f3eb14bcbd381fd.jpg

Been ketching up for a good hour, while waking up, and am still confused all over. Some contradictory statements and explanations there, also your GFS and EC comparison. Will grind some fresh coffee and see if that helps for the head department as well as it does for the bottom.

I might add that on the other hand there is an amazing lot of interesting stuff posted during the few hours I've been sleeping, love this forum.

Edited by Fiji Bitter
added love...
  • Like 3

Was just thinking how the AKZO lead was flipped so quickly. With nav decisions so powerful, AKZO being outside AIS range was a big risk. 

I’m still struggling a bit, howcome Akzo lost this lead so simple?, was it just the nicely timed gybe by Mapfre? Mapfre seemed to be a bit faster too. Is that it? 

Dongfeng and/or Vestas had to have gybed by now.

Yes, only TTOP and AkzoNobel still have to gybe, can’t be long now. 

If Donger and Vestas want to have a shot at this leg, they should be ready, warm up the grinding muscles and keep up with Mapfre. If the Spaniards find their mojo and gybing mode ... they’re gone. 

Nice find. Jules Verne options too

"Ainslie's BAR team have a partnership with Vestas 11th Hour Racing, whose boat will restart the current Volvo Ocean Race in Auckland after missing a leg because of a crash on the way into Hong Kong in January.

The latest edition of the Volvo Race - the seventh leg of which started on Sunday - takes around nine months to complete, so having a young family might deter Ainslie from taking part for some time yet.

"That's still an ambition, so perhaps in the future that would be an option," he said. "For now, though, it's still the America's Cup and that's unfinished business for us.

"And there's always the Jules Verne Challenge - which is the non-stop record - which is also something I need to have a crack at one day. 

"That's now getting well under 40 days and it won't be long before they're pushing 30 days to sail around the world, which is just phenomenal."

[aside: forum software not showing the "quote" icon here. Restart time.]

Am I being cynical in saying that he’s reaching the upper age limit for starting serious offshore racing?

Trying to figure out who has done well by playing back the tracks looking for crosses.

Think I got lazy waiting for the race experts to post when there were key gybes and crosses. They trolled me :) 

FWIW, TBRU and DFRT gybed onto starboard at ~19:19, pretty much the same time AKZO went over to port. SHKS really lost out. TBRU in nice control of the north pod. MAPF off on their own

5ab421459aa06_ScreenShot2018-03-22at3_33_06PM.png.3b347e73f95f59685a667b33d53e3206.png

Latest sked TBRU looks more vulnerable to DFRT and VS11 . Maybe map perspective, but staying south sure looks good.

5ab4235e659f1_ScreenShot2018-03-22at3_37_57PM.png.0b0222dd7f1239f5a923b1b56c9c03ea.png

• Like 1

Posted by Stief, 4hrs ago:

Neti says it was Pablo Arrante, Blair Tuke and Rob Greenhalgh who drove past VS11, in SC's post 1054 above 

Good catch indeed. If you look at the much improved Crew List (that you mentioned days ago = in the News section) you see that Blair Tuke is the only nominated helmsman. So naturally/apparently the two watch captains are top drivers too.

But I would be surprised if Xabi himself is not steering regularly, after all he was a champion dinghy helmsman before he teamed up with Iker Martinez, as Mark Chisnell mentioned in that nice write up. And he has a few sea-miles under his belt...

Btw, not all the Crew List are complete with helmsmen, but on Dongfeng for instance they may all be driving, they are all that good, even Horace maybe.

• Like 1

Am I being cynical in saying that he’s reaching the upper age limit for starting serious offshore racing?

Cynical or not, good question. Was actually wondering a day ago if Alex T is getting too old , haha.

Oldest beginner . . . ?

Exclusion Zone updated.  Moved South for leverage against a big low near the Horn.

Got it--thanks. Good thing they moved the bergy bits hiding just behind the old line :) 

• Like 1

"Got it--thanks. Good thing they moved the icebergs hiding just behind the old line :) "

HA HA

Stief, just now:

Latest sked TBRU looks more vulnerable to DFRT and VS11 . Maybe map perspective, but staying south sure looks good.

Me:

Staying south will pay if and when the wind backs a bit more.

• Like 1

Aside: anyone else having trouble with the forum software missing the quote button? Tried in different OSX browsers and  IOS. No luck

6D9D8A31-641A-4934-BE58-F84AE4B8AB92.thumb.jpeg.27adec7e21df0c057b32b1f82cd28875.jpeg

I started a thread in GA, not sure if it got any answers yet. 

• Like 1

I started a thread in GA, not sure if it got any answers yet. 

Thanks. I tried piggybacking in FAQ anarchy but yours is rightly getting more attention from those with experience. :) 

Btw, not all the Crew List are complete with helmsmen, but on Dongfeng for instance they may all be driving, they are all that good, even Horace maybe.

I don’t think that many of the crew never  helm....and especially in rough conditions it’s necessary to change often. Maybe just 30 minutes intervals. 

It’s the most common mistake amateur teams do I reckon, to have crew helming for too long. These professional teams should do better....

• Like 1

"Got it--thanks. Good thing they moved the icebergs hiding just behind the old line :) "

HA HA

Just studied the infrared picture after they moved that lot, and the missed one good sized growler. You can't see them on the radar, but you can hear them if you have a good listening watch.

Anyone's guess who is gone hit that one, and I may be cynical too, but my guess is 3 times is Sod's Law...

^_^

• Like 2

I don’t think that many of the crew never  helm....and especially in rough conditions it’s necessary to change often. Maybe just 30 minutes intervals. 

It’s the most common mistake amateur teams do I reckon, to have crew helming for too long. These professional teams should do better....

You're probably right, As an amateur, I needed to get into the 'zone', kinda like a marathoner who has to get over that certain plateau. Once there, I was tuned in for hours, frozen into a kind of strange space where it seemed I could feel every wobble in a wave, miniscule shifts in the air flow, and the rig building up energy like an electric charge that a slight flick on the wheel would release into a squirt of speed and shoot us ahead a fraction. Greatest feeling evah. Oops. Almost the best.

But, can't see that model being sustainable on a pro boat. Just makes it hard for me to understand how someone could jump into the groove after only a few minutes.

I can’t say there would be a time limit.  A lot would depend on the conditions and who’s driving.  But we’re talking about these conditions and I’d say some have more of a knack for it then others.  For some, it’s a strain and to others it comes naturally - even at this level.  Everyone has their specialty.  

• Like 4

You're probably right, As an amateur, I needed to get into the 'zone', kinda like a marathoner who has to get over that certain plateau. Once there, I was tuned in for hours, frozen into a kind of strange space where it seemed I could feel every wobble in a wave, miniscule shifts in the air flow, and the rig building up energy like an electric charge that a slight flick on the wheel would release into a squirt of speed and shoot us ahead a fraction. Greatest feeling evah. Oops. Almost the best.

But, can't see that model being sustainable on a pro boat. Just makes it hard for me to understand how someone could jump into the groove after only a few minutes.

I think some are born "in the groove" Stief.

• Like 3

SX: Aside: anyone else having trouble with the forum software missing the quote button? Tried in different OSX browsers and  IOS. No luck

Mad: I started a thread in GA, not sure if it got any answers yet. 

Me: The whole SA software has been a mess since BJ gave up. Wondering if Scooter is doing it now, together with Clean, maybe.

Image result for hiding emoticon

Over to GA now...

• Like 1

Thanks. I tried piggybacking in FAQ anarchy but yours is rightly getting more attention from those with experience. :) 

I should go and have a look then. :P

• Like 1

Norbow: I don’t think that many of the crew never  helm....and especially in rough conditions it’s necessary to change often. Maybe just 30 minutes intervals.  It’s the most common mistake amateur teams do I reckon, to have crew helming for too long. These professional teams should do better....

Stief: You're probably right, As an amateur, I needed to get into the 'zone', kinda like a marathoner who has to get over that certain plateau. Once there, I was tuned in for hours, frozen into a kind of strange space where it seemed I could feel every wobble in a wave, miniscule shifts in the air flow, and the rig building up energy like an electric charge that a slight flick on the wheel would release into a squirt of speed and shoot us ahead a fraction. Greatest feeling evah. Oops. Almost the best  But, can't see that model being sustainable on a pro boat. Just makes it hard for me to understand how someone could jump into the groove after only a few minutes.

In my admittedly limited experience compared to quite a few stubborn VOR mad men, I would say, in Southern Ocean conditions, generally speaking:

They don't necessarily all take turns. They always observe the previous helmsman for 5 min. or so. The top guys get get right into the groove, and steer for 1 hour, no problem. The lesser ones need time to warm up, and fuck up after 45 min.

Nice prosaic write up Stief, and you are mostly right about the pro boat. They are pro boats with some super pro's on it... Just unbelievable experienced, and young talent like never seen before.

• Like 3

My experience (which DOES NOT include the southern ocean and never will) is that they are probably rotating at least 3 drivers per watch in breeze. 

Observing the driver before driving is very necessary.  We usually move the main trimmer to driver, driver to grinder, etc.

Downwind in breeze/waves at night = 30 minutes before your eyes start blurring the instruments. 

Daytime downwind in breeze/waves, 1 hour max before you lose concentration. 

Upwind longer shifts by best drivers possible because of the angle of heel/wave pattern is more rhythmic.  1 hour shift still best for freshness.  I once nodded off after about three hours at night upwind in 25-30 and the main trimmer poked me awake.  I was actually right on speed/angle targets but a danger to all at that point.   

Are they rolling the watches?  Two new on every two hours?  Or coming on as a team of four?

(Prosodic not prosaic write up.)

• Like 1

But was she? I vaguely remember that she wasn’t picked until very late, and how we talked about how strange that was...

never mind, not important, and of course she’s an obvious pick for any team. Maybe that was what we said and turn the tide picked their team much later than the other teams? 

Liz, fitness wise is by far the best power to weight, pound for pound female in the show.... And I believe top two all round sailors

I think you are spot on..... Although Wharro in getting on and he was in it.

I wonder how Scallywags backside is feeling right now? 

Hurting like hell... keeping a positive attitude is key right now but not easy for sure 

IMO ....Anyone can steer in daylight but the gurus read wave patterns better for higher averages.   At night ..The best guys should hang in as long as possible... the change over and adjusting eyes at night hurts. It takes even the best guys a little time to adjust especially moonless nights and poor weather when relying on the red read outs. The best people glance at them for assurance  but steer by feel and the rest just stare at them constantly. '

Not many will ever be gurus because because the only way to learn is spending time on the wood and 99% of all our sailing is day sailing. When we train for the big ones we tend to not do time on the wheel and on the big ones we tend to limit it to 4-6 drivers as it's 1-3 day race. I got some experience because my old man owned yachts but most of my crew mates didn't have that luxury.  How else does one learn...? 

I was told a story in Auckland that after the appointment of Tommy Braidwood to Scally, Tommy rang Witty and asked for crossover chart type info and Witty replied "don't worry about that, your job is to steer the boat fast while i'm asleep"..... Tommy can steer a boat..

• Like 7

IMO ....Anyone can steer in daylight but the gurus read wave patterns better for higher averages.   At night ..The best guys should hang in as long as possible... the change over and adjusting eyes at night hurts. It takes even the best guys a little time to adjust especially moonless nights and poor weather when relying on the red read outs. The best people glance at them for assurance  but steer by feel and the rest just stare at them constantly. 

I was told a story in Auckland that after the appointment of Tommy Braidwood to Scally, Tommy rang Witty and asked for crossover chart type info and Witty replied "don't worry about that, your job is to steer the boat fast while i'm asleep"..... Tommy can steer a boat..

PIL007, Agree.  It’s not like they’ll pull a gifted driver who’s making miles after 30 mins for the sake of a schedule.  It’s what they’re hired for and why they’re brought onto the SO Leg.  On the other hand, they’ll probably never rotate him/her to the foredeck lest they lose him overboard being the klutz that he/she probably is. Some have the gift for bow work as well.  The ones you thank God for on a cold, dark night.

Curious Stu never came back.  One of last comments in the 3rd Leg was that he was pretty worn down.  They must have driven him hard on that one.

• Like 1

PIL007, Agree.  It’s not like they’ll pull a gifted driver who’s making miles after 30 mins for the sake of a schedule.  It’s what they’re hired for and why they’re brought onto the SO Leg.  On the other hand, they’ll probably never rotate him/her to the foredeck lest they lose him overboard being the klutz that he/she probably is. Some have the gift for bow work as well.  The ones you thank God for on a cold, dark night.

Curious Stu never came back.  One of last comments in the 3rd Leg was that he was pretty worn down.  They must have driven him hard on that one.

I am surprised Stu is not back either, though as I said before the crew lists for Leg 7 came out and this thread was speculating on DF's crew composition, who would rotate out? Stu was called "Magic Stu" by the crew for his light touch downwind driving expertise and they even did a rock video of him driving the boat, but the OBR noted Stu was a bit stressed by the speed and conditions in the SO. I  may have the exact personnel moves mixed up, but I believe Stu was rotated out and replaced by Kevin Escoffier, which was planned because I got an email from DF Team Director Bruno DuBois telling me when I asked during Leg 1 "Where is Kevin?" that he would be coming onboard in a couple of legs (perhaps work commitments, I don't know).Daryl WIslang rotated out with an injury. Jereme Beyou rotated out I think for a rest and DF brought in Frank Cammas. Daryl healed and back. Jeremy back. Commas left.  Meanwhile Stu raced in Mexico (boat DNF).  

• Like 1

^^^ informative summary, thanks. While I don't know Stu, I am somewhat sympathetic to the idea that one might be a bit  stressed  by the speeds and conditions in the SO. 

I am often asked by even sailing friends if I would do it. With the right crew, boat and equipment fuck yeah. But not without huge respect, and some trepidation. 

I have often asked myself why it holds such allure. Why do we value, even mythologize,  the Horn rounding so greatly? 

Rounding used to be a fairly prosaic piece of global commerce. Of course, thousands died doing it...

• Like 1

The question on who is best in sync will be answered sometime later today I think. Impossible to tell at the moment.

I wouldn't be rushing around throwing money down that Vila has got it wrong.

The question on who is best in sync will be answered sometime later today I think. Impossible to tell at the moment.

I wouldn't be rushing around throwing money down that Vila has got it wrong.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Raws and Live. "Who are the best drivers, how long can they go, how are they rotated, and how is it any different than driving on other oceans?"

now where's that sked?!

• Like 1

Just woke up and played back the tracker. Seems to me Mapfre stole the lead from Akzo when they stayed South as Akzo slowly luffed North. I would guess they were in different wind that forced Akzo's hand going a bit more North.

Timing for Mapfre's Gybe South seems to have been spot on once again. The Fernandes/Villa combination is hard to beat.

• Like 3

^°°°Liz was only 21 when she jumped on Amer Sports 2 in 2001. Has been in the Boatyard since last edition. Little wonder she was Dee's first pick

Liz was Dee's first pick. Dee was late picking ie August crew announcements (picked before that) as her selection criteria pretty challenging with age, sex and some Portugese etc in the mix on top of experience/potential.

https://www.sail-world.com/USA/Volvo-Ocean-Race-–-Liz-Wardley-joins-Turn-the-Tide-on-Plastic/-156026?source=google.au

• Like 1

Never tooo cynical around here, but you know that...  I believe he's done a bit of semi-offshore, and not just the Round the Island. I should know, but I don't... I do know that most of his Lymington friends are doing plenty of big boat stuff, and I cannot imagine that they didn't drag him along at some point.

Anyway, even though he is probably fitter or at least as fit as the several over 40 crewing now, no way is he gone sign on as crew. He will run is own campaign as skipper, possible under the umbrella of his AC organisation, and he can do that well into his 50th, like Bouwe, and several of the (sometimes winning) skippers before him.

He will just want to win the AC, and that might be the real problem, because he is indeed already too old for that, as shown by his two crashes!  I am a cynic too (and you know that...).

• Like 1

Interesting view with 'Cloud Tops" layer. Might illustrate DFRT-VS11's choice of track, and MAPF looks rather closed in by the exclusion zone. Hmmm. Maybe their gybe south was riskier than it seemed.

5ab459de32f35_ScreenShot2018-03-22at7_29_17PM.png.52eeaa81b7e47de582b4e26c1795af4c.png

• Like 2

Stief: Interesting view with 'Cloud Tops" layer. Might illustrate DFRT-VS11's choice of track, and MAPF looks rather closed in by the exclusion zone. Hmmm. Maybe their gybe south was riskier than it seemed.

Me: It looks like a close call. In the EC model they seem to lay the ice zone, in the GFS model it's doubtful, and they may have to put in a costly jibe. Right?

PS. Good to see the course prediction is now working in GFS too. Thanks Forrs!

Edited by Fiji Bitter
thanks Forss
  • Like 2

Que Viva Espana !!

OK, so I'm rooting for espana - lived there a long time ago . . 

But there is nothing on the planet as bizarre as Spanish TV  .  

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Raws and Live. "Who are the best drivers, how long can they go, how are they rotated, and how is it any different than driving on other oceans?"

now where's that sked?!

stief have the OBR's been instructed to do a "our driver's" raw upload tomorrow???

Or maybe because the Experts read here during the night and take hints for upcoming Live shows ;) So maybe they pick up that topic.

• Like 1

A lot happens when you're away from the internet for a few hours: DTrump fires a couple more people, my partially busted March Madness bracket has slightly healed, and the Paint Can dropped down quite a few slots and DF/Mapre together once again, at the top, with Vestas back with them. What happened, the respective North/South positions? Did DF gybe yet? 

• Like 1

Que Viva Espana !!

OK, so I'm rooting for espana - lived there a long time ago . . 

But there is nothing on the planet as bizarre as Spanish TV  .  

I think Brazil takes the cake in the weird stakes. Celebrity and Sub-Celebrity is like a national disease there and reflected in their television. For instance a women called Andressa Soares is a national treasure on account of the shape of her arse...yep she just answers to the moniker Mulher Melancia or "Watermelon Women" now.

They probably have a new name ready to roll when her arse hits the ground.

Though someone did tell me there is a game show in Russia where contestants steal cars for real.

Anyway this mob are going to go off their collective trolleys when Martine arrives. She just needs a catchy name.

• Like 1

^^^^ Mate there is absolutely nothing in your post about Jap idiot stuff that is even remotely connected to this leg or even sailing..so my suggestion is quit the thread drift otherwise you will incur the wrath of a thread nazi here called southerncross.....oops.

• Like 2

^^^^ Mate there is absolutely nothing in your post about Jap idiot stuff that is even remotely connected to this leg or even sailing..so my suggestion is quit the thread drift otherwise you will incur the wrath of a thread nazi here called southerncross.....oops.

maybe a simple thank you is in order ?

I really hate to see the ice line dominate strategy.  Maybe some of y'all can help influence future races to implement a balanced rule.  Balanced, as in balanced on an exclusion line rather than one sided.  A balanced line would have a rule that says:  You may cross the line, but on your return jibe, you must sail as far north of the line as you sailed south of the line on your last jibe.  This rewards strategy and weather routing rather than just the brute force approach of staying as close to the line as possible by jibing as often as possible.  And in the presence of a wind gradient, it balances the +/- above and below the line such that more jibes does not necessarily mean an automatic benefit.

Too late for this race, but maybe in the future.

• Like 1

I really hate to see the ice line dominate strategy.  Maybe some of y'all can help influence future races to implement a balanced rule.  Balanced, as in balanced on an exclusion line rather than one sided.  A balanced line would have a rule that says:  You may cross the line, but on your return jibe, you must sail as far north of the line as you sailed south of the line on your last jibe.  This rewards strategy and weather routing rather than just the brute force approach of staying as close to the line as possible by jibing as often as possible.  And in the presence of a wind gradient, it balances the +/- above and below the line such that more jibes does not necessarily mean an automatic benefit.

Agree but that is as complicated as shit to comply with and monitor, let alone forcing gybes to occur when you shouldn't be doing them, just as is occuring now. 

Bottomline it is a safety rule. Yet one that forces boats to gybe for days on end in shit conditions which is fucked for too many reasons to list. If they are serious about safety ditch it or at least put it down in the 60 zone and start the race earlier so all boats are out of the SO by late Feb/early March. 

That's what happened in earlier editions and with poled kites to boot and it seemed to work.

• Like 1

Liz was Dee's first pick. Dee was late picking ie August crew announcements (picked before that) as her selection criteria pretty challenging with age, sex and some Portugese etc in the mix on top of experience/potential.

https://www.sail-world.com/USA/Volvo-Ocean-Race-–-Liz-Wardley-joins-Turn-the-Tide-on-Plastic/-156026?source=google.au

Thank you! :) Excellent - my memory is kind of working :)

Thanks for sharing Libby’s blog. Subscribed. 

Due to day-job-itis I’m forced to miss our next offshore race a near 600 nm to Mexico in a couple weeks. Like many of you here it sure gets in your blood and following the VOR is a bit of a fix. In the worst offshore racing at night with zero moon and a very confused gulf stream sea state, we had to do 30 minute helm changes. Fun!

The gybing duel has commenced, and the red twins have found each other as if by instinct. Staying a little further North may have worked for Brunel and Akzo, but even if DF does/did not gybe to cover we will only see the crosses on the tracker when they are 5-6 hours in the past.

Interesting how the routing software (Squid?) on the trackers always underestimates how many gybes the boats will make and assumes they will just sail a lower downwind angle.

• Like 2

Interesting stuff going on right now, with most boats making good gains, Mapre a slight loss, and the ScallyWitt continuing to fall back every so slightly. 

My Notification on this Forum doesn't work either. 

• Like 1

Bit of a shake up, half expected. Jibing angles seem larger than the TWA indicates, which means some are being caught out by a bad wind shift. Anyway, the battle is on now, with the wind going dead aft sometime today (UTC), and the wind increasing to 40 knots as well. Fun times for us landlubbers, stressing for the brave warriors!

• Like 2

Interesting stuff going on right now, with most boats making good gains, Mapre a slight loss, and the ScallyWitt continuing to fall back every so slightly. 

My Notification on this Forum doesn't work either. 

Mmm - 14+ miles in one sked a 'slight loss'?

• Like 1

You may as well say you hate the S2H being dominated by the strategy regarding the east coast of Australia, or that the fastnet is dominated by the existence of Cornwall!

The race track is the race track and it's how boats deal with it that makes it so interesting and strategic!

• Like 1

Villa does look to have got out of sync...still too earlly to tell but I would be watching Akzo carefully on their straight line approach and if they have enough time to pull it off before breeze ceases to co-operate.

How Scally goes from most northern boat to now bouncing off the ice fence in no time is bizzare. Maybe they smuggled aboard an AP and are playing cards?

• Like 2

You may as well say you hate the S2H being dominated by the strategy regarding the east coast of Australia, 

It actually plays no part at all and could evaporate and there would be no change at all. It is only given any regard if you retire and want to find the closest pub.

What is the all time 24 hour record for a V65?

Ian Walker on the Camel down here and around 540nm  I recall.

I just looked it up 550.82nm on Horn approach.

• Like 1