southerncross

VOR Leg 7 Auckland to Itajai

No tracker info coming off Scally either at present

4 minutes ago, southerncross said:

300 miles from Chile.  No air support?

more like 1300 nm. Even with the large P3s - loiter time will be basically a couple of hours at most. Worst place in the world to get help. Scallywag is basically on its own.

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

more like 1300 nm. Even with the large P3s - loiter time will be basically zero. Worst place in the world to get help. Scallywag is basically on its own.

Right.  Also, running out of daylight.  4:22 pm?

Looking on Marine Traffic for that closest ship. At 1300, SHKS was  at 52°40.66'S   110°01.40'W (doubtful it will show)  

Newbie to this forum, but I've become completely hooked to this race through reading this thread the past few months. Just gutted to hear this latest news...

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Right.  Also, running out of daylight.  4:22 pm?

At the water temperatures, rough sea states - assuming the best preparedness and equipment, looking at unconsciousness at under 60 minutes and survival no more than 2-3 hours. I hate how VOR announced this. It is like 4 hours late.

• Downvote 2

Seeing all these helmsmen who could not hold on to wheel, I have been fearing the worst for a while. Just shocked and devastated now. 

4 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I hate how VOR announced this. It is like 4 hours late.

Can we assume they first wanted to let family members know? 

• Like 4

Vestas 11th Hour Retweeted Volvo Ocean Race

We are saddened to hear of the man overboard incident with @scallywaghk. Our support goes out to their team, friends, and families at this time.

teamAkzoNobel Retweeted Volvo Ocean Race

Sending everyone involved our thoughts and prayers from us all at team AkzoNobel.

2 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

Can we assume they first wanted to let family members know? 

Yes. Oh god. Why do some people on this forum think that them being updated is a high priority when things like this happens? 

There is a fucking search and rescue operation going on, and family members that need to be informed first. 

• Like 12

Absolutely gutted to read this. Just getting the boat turned around in those conditions is a super human effort. I can't even imagine trying to locate a missing crew member in that sea state. My best wishes go out to the crew of Scallywag on their efforts for a lifesaving recovery and the rest of the sailors out there tonight.

Just now, Redsail said:

Yes. Oh god. Why do some people on this forum think that them being updated is a high priority when things like this happens? 

There is a fucking search and rescue operation going on, and family members that need to be informed first. 

Recovery operation, at best.  Though low probability of even that, at present. May God bless all impacted by this horrendous turn of events.

4 minutes ago, Redsail said:

I hope the cause for delay is because of focus on family & SAR. 

Though I now have to think back to all the media stuff on Twitter/Facebook/VOR site the past 6 hours and wonder if it had been stopped or what.

No let up in the conditions for 24 hours.

Just now, Cwinsor said:

Recovery operation, at best.  Though low probability of even that, at present. May God bless all impacted by this horrendous turn of events.

Probably so.

2 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I hope the cause for delay is because of focus on family & SAR. 

Though I now have to think back to all the media stuff on Twitter/Facebook/VOR site the past 6 hours and wonder if it had been stopped or what.

Their last Race Experts tweet before announcing this was 7 hours ago. 

Sun Hung Kai Scallywag Retweeted Volvo Ocean Race

We are deeply saddened to hear the news and our thoughts and prayers are with John's family and the crew.

John's next of kin have been notified of the situation and further updates will be shared as and when they become available.

Just now, mordax said:

Their last Race Experts tweet before announcing this was 7 hours ago. 

I don't recall whether there was material removed or what. But I was watching the material two three hours ago but can't recall whether it was updated or old content. 

2 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I don't recall whether there was material removed or what. But I was watching the material two three hours ago but can't recall whether it was updated or old content. 

Ya not sure. Looks like their article about micro-plastic concentrations was posted about 20 minutes after the report time of the man overboard. 

No earthly idea why anyone would be on deck in those conditions without a PLB and AIS transmitter strapped to their person.  

VOR:  "We will have more information as it becomes available."

Heard that before, hope this is not gone a be lie again.

• Downvote 2

Did not Scally also have an MOB on the previous leg?  I remember a video clip of Witty reaming out the bowman who had shinnied out the head sail sheet to fix an issue at the clew and fell in. 

If I recall he said something to the effect of " if this is night, or 10 knots more breeze --  your dead". These words are haunting now. 

I can't seem to find the clip. 

BrunelSailing Retweeted Volvo Ocean Race

Our support goes out to @skallywaghk regarding the sad incident which took place this afternoon. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the team, their friends and family.

1 minute ago, Cwinsor said:

Did not Scally also have an MOB on the previous leg?  I remember a video clip of Witty reaming out the bowman who had shinnied out the head sail sheet to fix an issue at the clew and fell in. 

If I recall he said something to the effect of " if this is night, or 10 knots more breeze --  your dead". These words are haunting now. 

I can't seem to find the clip. 

This one. Kinda hurts to post it.

3 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

This one. Kinda hurts to post it.

And it hurts to watch it, sadly.

• Like 2

Survival equipment or not, in those sea temperatures you're looking at 15 minutes at best.

Really fucking sad.

A recovery for the family would be wanted.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kack said:

Damn.  nothing good will come of this.  Gutted

Gutted is right. Dayum.

Prayers to the family.

Mr Fisher is, "A long-term member of the RAGAMUFFIN and SCALLYWAG super maxi crews, Fisher has plenty of big boat experience and has sailed with skipper David Witt for many years. A Sydney-Hobart veteran, he makes the step into the Volvo Ocean Race world for the first time in 2017-18." 

https://www.sailingillustrated.com/single-post/2018/03/26/VOR-Breaking-Man-overboard-on-SHKScallywag-six-hours-ago-reportedly-ocean-racing-veteran-John-Fisher-GBRAUS

5 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Steif, same color scheme or different?

Your pic earlier is the latest I could find. So, same.

As for the vessel within 400 nm that diverted to the area, Vessselfinder.com shows nothing (here); new marine traffic.com isn't responding, but much more traffic shown. Wasn't able to see what vessel(s) Race Control might have diverted. Irrelevant anyway.

So horrible.

• Like 1

Tragic news.

My best to his family and his mates on Scallywag.  

WetHog :ph34r:

TurnTheTideOnPlastic Retweeted Volvo Ocean Race

All our thoughts with our @scallywaghk friends.

MAPFRE in the VOR Retweeted Volvo Ocean Race

All our support to @scallywaghk. Our thoughts are with the team, their friends and families.

This sport is dangerous, the mast and even the boat can break, etc.
But a man overboard :-(
no harness and lifeline ?

already the 2nd man overboard in this race :-/
but I fear for this one

VOR just uploaded a video called "SHK Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag Leg 7 drone and onboard shots" to their media server. Do they really know what they're doing?

• Like 1

Something that has got to be weighing heavy on Scallywag is the longer they search, the worse the weather will be when they finally do approach the Horn.

Do the maths. Almost a mile downwind every two minutes. The time it takes to get crew on deck, get the FR0 down, get into upwind mode. Then tack upwind. The causality is at least unconscious before you're even back to the MOB point.

1 minute ago, Rennmaus said:

VOR just uploaded a video called "SHK Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag Leg 7 drone and onboard shots" to their media server. Do they really know what they're doing?

Not sure. Pics from JBC's pretty version are being redirected to the MOB notice . . .  

Just now, Tom O'Keefe said:

Something that has got to be weighing heavy on Scallywag is the longer they search, the worse the weather will be when they finally do approach the Horn.

I wouldn't be surprised if Witty doesn't chuck it in if a rescue wasn't made.  This will weigh heavily on him as they are mates and have sailed together many years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spennig said:

Do the maths. Almost a mile downwind every two minutes. The time it takes to get crew on deck, get the FR0 down, get into upwind mode. Then tack upwind. The causality is at least unconscious before you're even back to the MOB point.

That's my biggest fear, in those conditions the time you have in the water to get your PLB/AIS locator activated is in the minutes before your hands stop working, and thats if they were warm to begin with.

Just now, samc99us said:

That's my biggest fear, in those conditions the time you have in the water to get your PLB/AIS locator activated is in the minutes before your hands stop working, and thats if they were warm to begin with.

It has to be one of the single most terrifying moments.

• Like 1

Looks like my plan to not drink tonight has gone out the window.

7 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one frankly amazed at the VOR's response.

I thought I was the only one on crazy pills - but the VOR has been pushing content since the MOB occurred. Then I swear it went back and deleted social media content. But the rest of the operation seems deaf.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, samc99us said:

The spinlock life jacket can have the plb mounted inside, so it will activate when the jacket opens. Hopefully they use this feature. 

Fuck. Fish was such a nice man - gave us a tour of the boat in Auckland. I've got pics of him laughing with the kids while they work the coffee grinder from just two weeks ago. And now gone ... just so terrible

This will cast a dark cloud over the Volvo.

• Like 1

The new AIS transponders auto activate when your life jacket inflates. But, you still have a very short period of survivability in those temps.

Just now, Sea Breeze 74 said:

This will cast a darker cloud over the Volvo.

FIFY

Just turning in, unbelievable, my prayers too are with the Scally team and their family and friends... speechless :o:(

7 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

The spinlock life jacket can have the plb mounted inside, so it will activate when the jacket opens. Hopefully they use this feature. 

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9587_Spinlock-creates-custom-lifejacket-for-toughest-race-on-water.html

"Along with the custom lifejackets for the crew on board, each Volvo Ocean 65 will also be equipped with Spinlock lifejacket harnesses, safety lines, carry equipment packs and PLB/MOB devices when the Race begins on October 22nd 2017."

8 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Link? I'm asking out of concern for personal safety (I have the deckvest+PLB+AIS locator). For Fish and the team I sure hope his was setup this way.

7 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one frankly amazed at the VOR's response.

I thought I was the only one on crazy pills - but the VOR has been pushing content since the MOB occurred. Then I swear it went back and deleted social media content. But the rest of the operation seems deaf.

I have had the same feelings this entire race. When the CEO left mid-race, it confirmed my suspicions that something was not aligned at VOR HQ. I have no inside information or contacts, just a weird feeling since the first leg that has only grown stronger.

Condolences to his family, friends and teammates. 

R.I.P Fish. Condolences to family, crew members and friends. A very sad day for, VOR.

1 minute ago, mad said:

Feel sick thinking about it. Very sad. 

Same.

Very sad news and difficult situation for all involved. 

A ship that was 400 NM away can't help much. The Chilean navy have some excellent rescue vessels but they are too far away, I would guess that they would have put a P3 overhead to coordinate and search or alas what would now appear to be a recovery. 

@samc99us the AIS locator should activate automagically not sure about the PLB setup. 

Absolutely gutted to hear this. 

Wishing the best to the rest of the crews out there tonight.

Does the vest include a strobe?  I'm wondering if, with a strobe, odds of finding someone might actually improve after dark?  Although in those conditions after 7 hours, odds of being close enough to spot even a strong elevated strobe are probably quite low.

I can't imagine making the eventual decision to cease looking if they can't find him.  I'm guessing they might prefer to keep looking for days regardless of conditions. Wouldn't be surprised, whatever the outcome, if they head for Usuant, retire from the leg, and fly in a delivery crew to take it to Itajai.

11 minutes ago, samc99us said:

Link? I'm asking out of concern for personal safety (I have the deckvest+PLB+AIS locator). For Fish and the team I sure hope his was setup this way.

I first saw it in Norwegian but found some info in English. I also saw it demonstrated on a boat show, don’t remember the make (of the plb). The page might be old. 

But yes, the feature is real.  

1 minute ago, Your Mom said:

Does the vest include a strobe?  I'm wondering if, with a strobe, odds of finding someone might actually improve after dark?  Although in those conditions after 7 hours, odds of being close enough to spot even a strong elevated strobe are probably quite low.

I can't imagine making the eventual decision to cease looking if they can't find him.  I'm guessing they might prefer to keep looking for days regardless of conditions. Wouldn't be surprised, whatever the outcome, if they head for Usuant, retire from the leg, and fly in a delivery crew to take it to Itajai.

If the vest is ocean compliant it must have a strobe. 

Usuant might be far away .. (Ushuaia) is an option but is in Argentina and they have to go through Chilean waters first so maybe a Chilean port. 

If anyone reading this thread knows John Fisher's family, please know that they are very much in our thoughts and prayers at this time.

You can have the brightest strobe, longest range AIS PLB - brightest most secure hood and the most flotation and insulation available - the difficulty is still the sea state in the 50s. I've only been as far south as ~45 while between Cape Town to Perth. Even there, the sea state was such that you can tell me bearing and distance and I won't be able to see it unless the wave period was timed perfectly such that I can actually look down. 

Even if you can see a person, with the best of crews - it is no guarantee you can reach the person with the right timing to recover. The wave height is overwhelming.

• Like 1

Is it a dumb idea use the drones to try and search faster while they are stoping the boat?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, carlosgp5 said:

Is it a dumb idea use the drones to try and search faster while they are stoping the boat?

Try anything I'd guess.

• Like 1

Not a dumb idea, they should be treated as sacrificial equipment in this event.

4 minutes ago, carlosgp5 said:

40 knots is going to be the top end of the drones they carry, I'd suspect, but yeah - agreed. anything that might help.

2 minutes ago, carlosgp5 said:

Unless the drone is about to be flown, it's likely to take more time to launch the drone than it will to stop the boat. Also, the OBR will need help launching in those conditions and the crew will have better things to do.

Once they are in the MOB area and starting the search, then an eye in the sky could be a handy addition.

Shocking news to wake to...  

This sea state and temperature, a man wouldn’t last long. A recovery of his body would be extremely appreciated by the family I suspect, but there are only so many rounds of searching you can do in these conditions. It means going upwind in this sea state and windspeed. First priority should be safety of the remaining crew members. At some point Witty should decide to go on to Chile although I would not want to be the one making that decision :(:(.  

• Like 2

We're not the important constituency right now. The MOB, the family, his teammates, the other boats. If delaying us finding out the outcome by even one minute means they can devote that minute to SAR coordination and increase his chances of being found then I'll take not finding out for a year. 

• Like 18

26 minutes ago, littlechay said:

If the vest is ocean compliant it must have a strobe. 

Usuant might be far away .. (Ushuaia) is an option but is in Argentina and they have to go through Chilean waters first so maybe a Chilean port. 

Thanks.  Yeah...  Meant Ushuaia.  Or a Chilean port.  I just can't imagine resuming racing, and they're a long way from Itajai.

59 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Witty doesn't chuck it in if a rescue wasn't made.  This will weigh heavily on him as they are mates and have sailed together many years.

I hope not but I fear the same..... No words for this... The absolute worst case scenario ..... I just feel numb right now for all...

Its farkin cold and ruff.

From Dee yesterday

It is cold, bitterly cold on deck and down below. 3 degrees air temperature and 4 degrees sea temperature, makes  for icy fingers and cheeks. The windy weather is due soon and we will have it blow hard for a good 12 hours before we return to the strong winds we have now, but it will take us to Cape Horn.

Fuck, poor bastard. Don't know what else to say.

Gutted for the family and crew. Brings back terrible memories of a family tragedy... There's no upside here.

• Like 1

Feeling it for this.  Lousy news to come home to, to say the least.  

Devastated after meeting all of the teams in Auckland. Really hope they find him. That poor team I cannot imagine what they are going through. 

When it is first found out, is there any point in throwing something overboard to mark the position? 

1 hour ago, Redsail said:

Bloody well said Redsail. Why the f*** do the public think they have any right to know immediately. Don't they think VOR Race Control and all others involved have more important things on their plate/mind right now. The whole VOR community will be in shock (I certainly am) and that includes race control and ALL the families on people on ALL the boats - they are in the same conditions after all. Don't you think it is more important - from a human perspective - they hear reassurances before the news is spread to the sensation hungry public and some fuckwit journo calls them and asks them for a reaction before they have heard their family member/friend is OK?

Do I sound angry at some of the attitudes - Fuck yeah! It's not entertainment at this point, it is someone's life.

Good idea but a drone likely to be useless Hoppy as the definition on the monitor screen is nowhere like the finished product we see and a mark one eyeball out of the boat would be much more effective.

Yeah - and i am in shock too!

Enough for now!

SS

• Like 1

Praying this doesn't end badly. Man this must be wreaking havoc on David Witts mindset. Hopefully they find him and he's ok, although the longer it goes, the bleaker the outlook I'd say. Tough to come back from not only for Witt, but also for the Race itself, one fatality so far, two man overboard situations, of which one could quite possibly end in another fatality, lets hope this all ends well.