southerncross

VOR Leg 7 Auckland to Itajai

Recommended Posts

Inevitable and the reality of the Race, I am afraid.

I usual  drink a Calvados to pay respect, and will do so now, even if it is still morning here.

There you go John, you seem like an old sailing friend to me, RIP.

FFF 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again we've all lost someone we had learned to care about. Like the others before and those to come, you will be remembered, John.

Cheers indeed, dammit.

  • Like 4
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Bloody well said Redsail. Why the f*** do the public think they have any right to know immediately. Don't they think VOR Race Control and all others involved have more important things on their plate/mind right now. The whole VOR community will be in shock (I certainly am) and that includes race control and ALL the families on people on ALL the boats - they are in the same conditions after all. Don't you think it is more important - from a human perspective - they hear reassurances before the news is spread to the sensation hungry public and some fuckwit journo calls them and asks them for a reaction before they have heard their family member/friend is OK?

Do I sound angry at some of the attitudes - Fuck yeah! It's not entertainment at this point, it is someone's life.

Good idea but a drone likely to be useless Hoppy as the definition on the monitor screen is nowhere like the finished product we see and a mark one eyeball out of the boat would be much more effective.

Yeah - and i am in shock too!

Enough for now!

SS

With all due respect SS and not withstanding what I infer to be your insider status from your previous reporting, the  overwhelming  majority of the posts here in the past few hours since this  broke have been rightfully concerned, compassionate and mindful of the unfathomable loss to the participants, their families and extended community.  

Also, since most of us follow this race  online and have been encouraged to do so by the media efforts of the VOR -- which include realtime feeds, OBRs, the daily live, and many other amplifications through targeted social media, it is only natural that when something of this huge magnitude or  Vestas' fatal  collision occurs, that  people are going to be seeking current information from those same VOR outlets they have been using for weeks, and may be frustrated or seek other channels when that information is not forthcoming.  

It is a double-edged sword when  organizers spend so much money and effort to attract an online following. That following, if passionate, will and should expect to be communicated to. 

Personally, I have no problem with the 5 hours taken between the incident reporting at 1342 and the nr at 1855 to prioritize the needs of  immediate families, teams and other close stakeholders. 

After 1855, you cannot then go dark without regular updates. It is a two-way street. Whatever goodwill the VOR had built with its online following was already severely tested through the handling of the Vestas tragedy.   

CW

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Annapolis 105er said:

This is the end of the Volvo Ocean Race as we know it.  It definitely won't be the "Volvo" Ocean Race.  I genuinely hope John's passing causes this race and sport to stop killing people.  There is no need for these boats and teams to be in those conditions, in that location.  

I know we've had threads and endless discussions on this, but why do the boats have to be so damn wet? It looks interesting for ludites but it's bloody dangerous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I remember how Volvo pulled out and the race was mothballed for 2 decades after Hans Horrevoets was lost.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can think of a lot of worse ways to go ...

Farewell Fish, we never met but we are still mates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prayers for all who knew him; his family and shipmates especially.  

There are certain things our human minds don't properly register fear for: 

Going down the highway at 55 mph, we talk on the phone, check our arrival time on the gps, text, do makeup - not a fear in the world, yet we are going the same speed as if we had just fallen 100 feet after driving off a cliff.

Height seems to give us a proper scare: I've been more scared on a sunny day climbing a smooth rock wall, roped and well-protected, than when I've been on the bow in a fresh breeze offshore in the middle of the night, without a harness or life-jacket.  A fall in the latter case would most likely have resulted in my death; not the former.

I can imagine the pervasive dread of being so out there in the southern ocean.  But still, it is difficult for the subconscious mind to grasp that a fall into the water just a few feet away is just as deadly as falling off a thousand foot cliff.

The final words of a verbal essay I heard years ago about surfing (wiping out to be exact) in big conditions come hauntingly back; "It's only water, but it's killing me."

Indeed, rest in peace, John Fisher.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No no no no....my heart's breaking at the moment. 

We're sending our thoughts and prayers to all of the Scallywag team and all of John's  family and friends, the Southern Ocean is truly the most unforgiving  ocean on the planet.

A special prayer for David Witt, as the skipper the loss of a crewmember would be bad enough, but for it to be one of his long term mates,? I cannot bear to think of what they are feeling, clinging to a fragile hope whilst you're beating back upwind,  getting smashed by mountainous seas, freezing cold, half blind by salt spray, being tossed around like a rag doll, cursing the AIS receiver, straining for a glimpse of colour in those seas, knowing the consequences if you fail to find him, the crushing responsibility on the crew knowing they are the only hope on earth .....that's seriously head fucking material.

Be strong guys, look after each other...dear Christ.

 

 

   

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Annapolis 105er said:

This is the end of the Volvo Ocean Race as we know it.  It definitely won't be the "Volvo" Ocean Race.  I genuinely hope John's passing causes this race and sport to stop killing people.  There is no need for these boats and teams to be in those conditions, in that location.  

I appreciate the sentiment, but people do these things precisely because of the danger.  It's not living on the edge, if falling off the edge doesn't have dire consequences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shu said:

I appreciate the sentiment, but people do these things precisely because of the danger.  It's not living on the edge, if falling off the edge doesn't have dire consequences.

The race should go on. More so than what happened in HK (after which certain ppl certainly moved on very quick to celebrate the Chinese 1-2 while a Chinese non-participant was dead). 

 

Rip John. He was doing what he loved with people he loved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Annapolis 105er said:

This is the end of the Volvo Ocean Race as we know it.  It definitely won't be the "Volvo" Ocean Race.  I genuinely hope John's passing causes this race and sport to stop killing people.  There is no need for these boats and teams to be in those conditions, in that location.  

One of the more stupid posts. Besides the inappropriate timing, it is ill conceived and thought out. Do you really think that Volvo wasn't aware that there was a chance of a fatality? Do you think it is the first fatality in the race history?  Volvo, the teams, the competitors and sponsors all know that a fatality is a real possibility. over the course of a number of races, it is almost inevitable. Every single sailor in the race knows the risk, chooses to accept that risk and nobody is forcing them to take that risk. Some choose not to do the race because of the risks involved but look at the number of sailors doing it who were involved when there was last a fatality. 

More importantly, now is not the time to start the recriminations. Now is the time to offer our condolences and think of the people involved. RIP John Fisher. You died doing something you loved, with a group of your friends. My thoughts are with the Scally family. Terrible situation.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's incredibly humbling everytime a tragedy like this occurs. Prayers and Best wishes to John and his family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was released earlier today, before the MOB report - Sam's take on what it was like out there.......while he goes in a different direction with the article - the first part gave me even more shivers about this whole thing. 

 

Volvo Ocean Race: The fear is real
Published on March 26th, 2018
 
EmailShare
Volvo Ocean Race onboard reporter Sam Greenfield shares a view of life on skipper Dee Caffari’s Turn the Tide on Plastic as the team navigates the deep south toward Cape Horn:

0621 UTC – Monday, March 26 2018
Sea Temp: 4.2 degrees C
Air Temp: 3.5 degrees C
Windspeed: 37-45 kts
Boatspeed: 30+ kts
Long: 109.796W
Lat: 55.507S

Well, it’s all a waiting game now. I don’t know what’s going to happen tonight, on what’s meant to be the most furious night of this leg, but if I’m physically not on the boat when the team arrives in Itajai let this blog serve as an explanation why – and a lesson to anyone who ever sails with Dee Caffari.

I’ll set the scene. Picture survival suit conditions on deck. The most brutal night of this Volvo Ocean Race. The sun has just set but even in the daylight everyone on deck had lost feeling of their hands through their 3mm wetsuit gloves. Their feet are like blocks inside of their ocean boots. Every wave of water over the deck is cold enough to rob you of your breath and wits.

I’m watching all of this unfold from the warmth of the hatch while boiling water for my dinner. Let’s be realistic. I may have a few screws loose in my head to be out here, but not enough to do what these sailors do – namely stand under a frozen firehouse in 40 knots of wind-chill for four hours at a time. In the dark. I’m happy to document it though. Their mental strength is next level.

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2018/03/26/volvo-ocean-race-fear-real/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Annapolis 105er said:

This is the end of the Volvo Ocean Race as we know it.  It definitely won't be the "Volvo" Ocean Race.  I genuinely hope John's passing causes this race and sport to stop killing people.  There is no need for these boats and teams to be in those conditions, in that location.  

 

16 minutes ago, BR3232 said:

I know we've had threads and endless discussions on this, but why do the boats have to be so damn wet? It looks interesting for ludites but it's bloody dangerous.

I agree with Team GBR..... This type of post at this time is not helping at all

I'm begging all to shut the fuck up with the unwanted bullshit and just show some respect at this tragic time....

6 minutes ago, southerncross said:

@PIL007 Brace yourself mate.

I'm bracing but I feel sick for all involved.... And then the dickheads turn up here to watch the show .... My feelings quickly turn to anger

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horrible news.  My condolences to John and his family, and to the entire Scallywag team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Annoyed by all these "prayers"

We do not even know if John is/was a believer

If you are, pray and keep them for yourself. No need for religious propaganda here.
 

  • Like 7
  • Downvote 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kensentme said:

Sailor

What's your point Newbie, that your Danish Sailor AIS failed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ardel said:

Annoyed by all these "prayers"

We do not even know if John is/was a believer

If you are, pray and keep them for yourself. No need for religious propaganda here.
 

Oh shut up and fuck off. 

  • Like 3
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuckin Horrible situation. Deepest condolences out to his family, friends, shipmates and, well everyone affected by this. 

 

To those complaining about the VOR not updating us and posting other updates - it is highly likely those other updates are automated/scheduled and not someone 'tone deafly' posting them. The social media team is likely the last part of the VOR organizers informed of this type of situation - Race Control will be too busy trying everything they can to tell the intern running the twitter and facebook accounts to post anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now is the time for respect and support for our fellow sailors, this is every ocean racers worst nightmare and I'm sure there are plenty of people reading this who know the team on board Scallywag and the other Volvo's. You don't have to be a fan of Witty or the Volvo to understand and show some empathy towards what he and the crew are going through right now so please keep recriminations to yourselves. My thoughts and support to John's family and teammates.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please let's avoid the $#!+ fights today.  Let's remember a great sailor, and give each other a little room to express our concern and angst over this terrible situation.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

What's your point Newbie, that your Danish Sailor AIS failed?

I was wondering what kind of safety equipment they had on board. I'm deeply saddened! Is there any hope at this point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THEY THAT GO DOWN TO THE SEA IN SHIPS, 

that do business in great waters; 

These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep. 

For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof. 

They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble. 

They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits' end. 

Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses. 

He maketh the storm a calm,  so that the waves thereof are still. 

Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.

Psalms, 107:23-3

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Scallywags are tight knit bunch.  They must be inconsolable, especially Witt.  And yet they have to preserve the boat and all onboard in heinous conditions.  Alone.  I feel for them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Volvo Ocean Race

VOR Breaking: As darkness descended, the SAR for SCALLYWAG'S man overboard was called off; John Fisher (GBR/AUS) now 'Lost at Sea'

Monday, March 26, 2018

TOM EHMAN

SAN FRANCISCO – Another tragic loss for the Volvo Ocean Race. One now hears from government search and rescue sources in Washington, D.C. that after some seven hours of searching by the yacht SHK/SCALLYWAG for their shipmate, John Fisher(GBR/AUS), the search has been called off and Mr Fisher declared "Lost at Sea." Reportedly the search continued up to nightfall in the frigid southern Pacific Ocean, despite 35 knot winds, 5-10m seas and near-freezing air and sea temps. 

VOR media reported earlier this afternoon that they were alerted by the yacht at 13:42 UTC (0642 PDT, some fifteen hours ago) that Mr Fisher went overboard approx some 1400 miles west of Cape Horn on Day 9 of Leg 7, a 7,600-mile race from Auckland, New Zealand to Itajaí, Brazil.

There have been conflicting reports about whether Mr Fisher had on foul weather gear or a dry suit, but even in a drysuit surviving such conditions in the water for more than an hour would be highly unusual.

The media have been told to expect an update from VOR headquarters in Alicante, Spain yet today (Monday evening in SF).

In the meantime our hearts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Mr Fisher, his SCALLYWAG shipmates, and all involved with the VOR.

https://www.sailingillustrated.com/single-post/2018/03/26/VOR-Breaking-As-darkness-descended-the-SAR-for-SCALLYWAGS-man-overboard-was-called-off-John-Fisher-GBRAUS-now-Lost-at-Sea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where do these cockroaches come from?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same thing happening in the other thread, and as happened in the Speirs case, And the, and the, and the . . . 

This is old, about a MOB that ended happily 28 years ago. And there's Sir Robin's interview with Nic, but have to find it again.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ardel said:

Annoyed by all these "prayers"

We do not even know if John is/was a believer

If you are, pray and keep them for yourself. No need for religious propaganda here.
 

Fuck off clown

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never saw them again. The sea took some, the steamers took others, the graveyards of the earth will account for the rest. Singleton has no doubt taken with him the long record of his faithful work into the peaceful depths of an hospitable sea. And Donkin, who never did a decent day's work in his life, no doubt earns his living by discoursing with filthy eloquence upon the right of labour to live. So be it! Let the earth and the sea each have its own.

A gone shipmate, like any other man, is gone for ever; and I never met one of them again. But at times the spring-flood of memory sets with force up the dark River of the Nine Bends. Then on the waters of the forlorn stream drifts a ship—a shadowy ship manned by a crew of Shades. They pass and make a sign, in a shadowy hail. Haven't we, together and upon the immortal sea, wrung out a meaning from our sinful lives? Good-bye, brothers! You were a good crowd. As good a crowd as ever fisted with wild cries the beating canvas of a heavy foresail; or tossing aloft, invisible in the night, gave back yell for yell to a westerly gale.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hang on, have I missed something? I haven’t read anywhere that he has been confirmed as lost, though I know the odds are stacked against him. 

Keep it classy SA, families are likely in here looking for information too. 

Hang on in there Fish and Team Scallywag. If only our good wishes and hopes could save him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AussieSailorChick said:

Hang on, have I missed something? I haven’t read anywhere that he has been confirmed as lost, though I know the odds are stacked against him. 

Keep it classy SA, families are likely in here looking for information too. 

Hang on in there Fish and Team Scallywag. If only our good wishes and hopes could save him. 

https://www.sailingillustrated.com/single-post/2018/03/26/VOR-Breaking-As-darkness-descended-the-SAR-for-SCALLYWAGS-man-overboard-was-called-off-John-Fisher-GBRAUS-now-Lost-at-Sea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I think there’s some assumptions being published. Until Volvo or Scallywag announce anything I think we need to remain hopeful and support the boys and girls who are out there fighting for him. My two cents, but I think it’s important to wait for the real information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AussieSailorChick said:

I think there’s some assumptions being published. Until Volvo or Scallywag announce anything I think we need to remain hopeful and support the boys and girls who are out there fighting for him. My two cents, but I think it’s important to wait for the real information. 

I share your sentiment.  But Ehman often reports it first.  VOR has been measured with their updates to say the least.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Eternal father strong to save

Whose arm hath bent the restless wave

Who bids the mighty oceans deep

Their own appointed limits keep;

Oh hear us when we cry to thee

For those in peril on the sea.

 

I'll cast my lot with the hopeful until an official update comes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“By all that’s wonderful, it is the sea, I believe, the sea itself — or is it youth alone? Who can tell? But you here — you all had something out of life: money, love — whatever one gets on shore — and, tell me, wasn’t that the best time, that time when we were young at sea; young and had nothing, on the sea that gives nothing, except hard knocks — and sometimes a chance to feel your strength — that only — what you all regret?”

From "Youth", Josef Conrad

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, some dude said:

I never saw them again. The sea took some, the steamers took others, the graveyards of the earth will account for the rest. Singleton has no doubt taken with him the long record of his faithful work into the peaceful depths of an hospitable sea. And Donkin, who never did a decent day's work in his life, no doubt earns his living by discoursing with filthy eloquence upon the right of labour to live. So be it! Let the earth and the sea each have its own.

A gone shipmate, like any other man, is gone for ever; and I never met one of them again. But at times the spring-flood of memory sets with force up the dark River of the Nine Bends. Then on the waters of the forlorn stream drifts a ship—a shadowy ship manned by a crew of Shades. They pass and make a sign, in a shadowy hail. Haven't we, together and upon the immortal sea, wrung out a meaning from our sinful lives? Good-bye, brothers! You were a good crowd. As good a crowd as ever fisted with wild cries the beating canvas of a heavy foresail; or tossing aloft, invisible in the night, gave back yell for yell to a westerly gale.

My daughter (10) and I have been checking the tracker every morning. She, with natural empathy for the underdog, has been cheering Scallywag of late, hoping they would find their way back to the leaders. She will be gutted, as am I. We will read Conrad tonight, and mourn the loss of a sailor who died, doing what he loved.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sadug said:

This was released earlier today, before the MOB report - Sam's take on what it was like out there.......while he goes in a different direction with the article - the first part gave me even more shivers about this whole thing. 

 

Volvo Ocean Race: The fear is real
Published on March 26th, 2018
 
EmailShare
Volvo Ocean Race onboard reporter Sam Greenfield shares a view of life on skipper Dee Caffari’s Turn the Tide on Plastic as the team navigates the deep south toward Cape Horn:

0621 UTC – Monday, March 26 2018
Sea Temp: 4.2 degrees C
Air Temp: 3.5 degrees C
Windspeed: 37-45 kts
Boatspeed: 30+ kts
Long: 109.796W
Lat: 55.507S

Well, it’s all a waiting game now. I don’t know what’s going to happen tonight, on what’s meant to be the most furious night of this leg, but if I’m physically not on the boat when the team arrives in Itajai let this blog serve as an explanation why – and a lesson to anyone who ever sails with Dee Caffari.

I’ll set the scene. Picture survival suit conditions on deck. The most brutal night of this Volvo Ocean Race. The sun has just set but even in the daylight everyone on deck had lost feeling of their hands through their 3mm wetsuit gloves. Their feet are like blocks inside of their ocean boots. Every wave of water over the deck is cold enough to rob you of your breath and wits.

I’m watching all of this unfold from the warmth of the hatch while boiling water for my dinner. Let’s be realistic. I may have a few screws loose in my head to be out here, but not enough to do what these sailors do – namely stand under a frozen firehouse in 40 knots of wind-chill for four hours at a time. In the dark. I’m happy to document it though. Their mental strength is next level.

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2018/03/26/volvo-ocean-race-fear-real/

That is a great piece by Sam. Worth reading the whole thing which shows even with conditions as gnarly as they are there is still a sense of humour.

BTW - sorry if I went off at the deep end a few posts ago but it was only minutes after being woken at (for me) an unearthly hour with the news of what was happening and many of these guys down there are friends or at the least people I know.

I really feel for Witty - he is not nearly as shallow as some people have tried to paint him and I know he will hardly be able to think at right this moment. Fish wasn't just a crew member they were long, long time mates and he still has to get the other 9 souls on board out of the hell that is the current Southern Ocean.

Cut him a bit of slack - at least for a while Eh! T

Everyone will be so glad when they turn the corner that is Cape Horn - the whole VOR family is hurting right now

SS

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Simon's family

Simon?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All those involved with SHKS must be beating themselves up far worse than we can imagine . . .  the "if only I had .  . " , "what if I'd . . . ".  "why didn't I . . . "

And in one of the most inhospitable places for sailors on earth. Seriously tough to come back from there physically and mentally.

I refuse to stop thinking about them, so thanks to all for helping keep them and their ilk in mind. They will survive.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Simon?  

Easy and appropriate slip. Simon Speirs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dee Caffari Retweeted Volvo Ocean Race

All our thoughts and prayers are with our Sun Hung Kai Scallywag friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Ohh Fuck

Yep

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BR3232 said:

Edited, not taken down.

https://www.facebook.com/sailorgirlHQ/

Yes, to remove the reference to the status of the search. I innocently posted  in its entirety up thread. I was subsequently asked by a poster on this forum to delete it also.  

There are sound principles to follow when regrettably having to do crisis communications. Unfortunately VOR seems to struggle. By not updating regularly  it creates a vacuum which other sources will fill, SG  or SI or others.  This situation  is the hardest scenario to deal in, a human tragedy. But that is exactly when you need to get it right. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

That is a great piece by Sam. Worth reading the whole thing which shows even with conditions as gnarly as they are there is still a sense of humour.

 

sounds fkn intense. 

i'd be shitting myself. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just waking to this devastating news.  An empty pit in the stomach.  Condolences to Fisher's family, friends and team mates.  

Witty talked in a recent post of the huge burden of responsibility bestowed upon the Skippers. A burden he carries large on his shoulders and his heart on his sleeve.  The emotional effect on the crew of such an incident cannot be underestimated (PTSD).  Safety and well being of the remaining crew are paramount. I hope Scallywag get the team to a safe port and in good time through what will remain very difficult conditions.  Godspeed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts are with John's family, his friends and the Scallywag team. One can only imagine the feelings and emotions onboard Scallywag?  Stuck in the Southern Ocean miles from nowhere and without help the team must conjure a way forward. All the teams will be feeling the pain as we are. John was doing what he loved. Sad is an understatement.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just  got back online after many hours away. Am shocked and very sad over this news and esp for the SHKS team/crew, part. Witt, and John's family, and all who knew him, as well as the VOR.  Let's not get into VOR or any recriminations, please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Hold Fast said:

sounds fkn intense. 

i'd be shitting myself. 

It is

You do

Mine was approaching the Yellow Sea but once you have felt that kind of weather its imprinted in you

22 minutes ago, Grinning Ape said:

Just waking to this devastating news.  An empty pit in the stomach.  Condolences to Fisher's family, friends and team mates.  

Witty talked in a recent post of the huge burden of responsibility bestowed upon the Skippers. A burden he carries large on his shoulders and his heart on his sleeve.  The emotional effect on the crew of such an incident cannot be underestimated (PTSD).  Safety and well being of the remaining crew are paramount. I hope Scallywag get the team to a safe port and in good time through what will remain very difficult conditions.  Godspeed.

This is a really good point & there is work taking place that will be applicable in this kind of space in time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE: Search and Rescue operation continues for Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag sailor

Race Control for the Volvo Ocean Race has been informed by Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag of a man overboard incident on Monday afternoon at approximately 13:42 UTC

March 26, 201818:55 UTC

UPDATE 0100 UTC

Search and Rescue operation continues for Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag sailor

The Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) is continuing to lead efforts to recover Volvo Ocean Race sailor John Fisher (UK), who was reported overboard off Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag early on Monday afternoon UTC.

The Scallywag team, assisted by the MRCC, conducted an exhaustive search and rescue operation in an effort to recover Fisher, who was on watch and wearing appropriate survival gear when he went overboard.

The remaining crew are reported safe.

The wind in the area at the time was a strong 35-knot westerly, with accompanying sea state. Water temperature was 9-degrees Celsius. There is still daylight, but weather conditions are forecast to deteriorate in the coming hours, and darkness will come at approximately 01:20 UTC.

The MRCC has already requested a ship, nearly 400 nautical miles away, divert to the scene.

The MRCC continues in attempts to contact other ships that may be able to assist.

The weather in the area is forecast to deteriorate significantly in the coming hours. Given the severity of the forecast and with nightfall an hour away, we acknowledge the chances of a successful recovery are diminishing.

SHK/Scallywag has thus made the difficult decision to turn downwind and head towards the South American coast, the nearest safe landfall, approximately 1,200 nautical miles away.

We will have more information as it becomes available.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/11353_UPDATE-Search-and-Rescue-operation-continues-for-Sun-Hung-Kai-Scallywag-sailor.html

UPDATE 1855 UTC

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats going on? an update has been posted stating the Search and Rescue operation has been officially called off after 7 hours. John Fisher has been lost at sea, yet Volvo Ocean Race has just posted an update stating the operation is ongoing and more updates to come. Sounds suspicious

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks, SC, for providing the update(s). It is somehow oddly comforting in a way, if that is the word, to be on this forum of strangers (my first such experience) when something like this happens to someone I don't actually know but feel I do through pictures, videos, interviews, people sharing their experiences (like the boat tour in Auckland, his calloused hands). Also impossible to fathom how Witt and his crew are dealing with this.  Glad to hear they are going ashore at the nearest point.

Edited by despacio avenue
typo
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man this is going to make a lot of ordinarily tough people cry. RIP Mr Fisher, a prayer for you, all those out there and those close to them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sclarke said:

Sounds suspiciously like Volvo Ocean Race is attempting to buy time to perhaps concoct a story to cover their asses. 

Fuck off.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, sclarke said:

Whats going on?

..

John Fisher has been lost at sea, yet Volvo Ocean Race has just posted an update stating the operation is ongoing and more updates to come. Sounds suspiciously like Volvo Ocean Race is attempting to buy time to perhaps concoct a story to cover their asses. 

read what is written. 

Scally has abandoned their search.

The search and rescue continues.

They are not contradictory statements, but the utility of the second part is (unfortunately) almost zero.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no sentiments, the universe is a cold and chaotic place, more so in that environment. fkn' sucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Just  got back online after many hours away. Am shocked and very sad over this news and esp for the SHKS team/crew, part. Witt, and John's family, and all who knew him, as well as the VOR.  Let's not get into VOR or any recriminations, please. 

Completely agree man. In Formula 1 Motor Racing it would be called a racing accident. For the time being at least we should all leave it as that

SS

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Impossible decision to turn away but as you must with more lives onboard to look after.  I would think it would be doubly hard without a recovery.  Leaving someone out there would haunt one forever.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Impossible decision to turn away but as you must with more lives onboard to look after.  I would think it would be doubly hard without a recovery.  Leaving someone out there would haunt one forever.

I couldn't agree with you more.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

read what is written. 

Scally has abandoned their search.

The search and rescue continues.

They are not contradictory statements, but the utility of the second part is (unfortunately) almost zero.

Completely agree Duncan. A vessel with a 90 degree no go zone under sail and an auxiliary engine hardly designed or spec'd for those sort of conditions is hardly an effective search tool. Add to that the continuing danger from extreme weather conditions and the responsibility that has to be for the safety of the balance of the crew.

Really feel for them.

SS

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Geff said:

I couldn't agree with you more.

how the hell can one deal with this in your head when you are out there...agree with all of those that can't find the words, feeling gutted. I just had one hell of a time explaining this to my wife. Especially given coming of a 5 day offshore race with such moderate/calm conditions at my advanced age. Hard to reconcile 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SS you are so right although I suspect that the no go zone is a lot more than 90 degrees.  You would not ever want to be beam on in those seas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where will Scally head for?  Puerto Montt, Chile?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember following the race when Hans was lost. For us here it's gotta be one of the last things we expect to see, it was for me anyway. Godspeed Fisher. Thoughts are with the crew and staying safe till they make it to port. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't imagine the heartbreak for Fisher's family and his crewmates.  Truly a sobering moment amongst my sailing friends atm.  I'm 4 days away from heading out for sailing in sub 10 degree water for a short overnight race, I'll be thinking about this for a while yet. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Where will Scally head for?  Puerto Montt, Chile?

That makes sense to me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was some questions about what PLB/MOB gear would be on-hand for each crewmember.

 

Some info here: 

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9587_Spinlock-creates-custom-lifejacket-for-toughest-race-on-water.html

https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/categories/lifejackets/product_groups/volvo-ocean-race-deckvest

'Integrated AIS MOB1 beacon'  means this?

http://oceansignal.com/products/mob1/

"Automatic activation"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, duncan (the other one) said:

There was some questions about what PLB/MOB gear would be on-hand for each crewmember.

 

Some info here: 

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9587_Spinlock-creates-custom-lifejacket-for-toughest-race-on-water.html

https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/categories/lifejackets/product_groups/volvo-ocean-race-deckvest

'Integrated AIS MOB1 beacon'  means this?

http://oceansignal.com/products/mob1/

"Automatic activation"

 

Already asked and answered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Text below from the Scallywag Facebook page. Posted about 10 minutes ago.

 

UPDATE: The SHK/Scallywag team, assisted by the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC), have continued efforts to recover crew member John Fisher, who was reported overboard from the team yacht early on Monday afternoon UTC.

The team undertook an exhaustive search and rescue operation in an effort to recover Fisher, who was on watch and wearing appropriate survival gear when he went overboard. 

The remaining crew are reported safe. 

The MRCC has requested a ship, nearly 400 nautical miles away, divert to the scene and continues attempts to contact other ships that may be able to assist. 

At the time of the incident the team were approximately 1,400 miles west of Cape Horn, facing a strong 35-knot westerly, with accompanying sea state. Water temperature was 9-degrees Celsius. 

There is still daylight, but with nightfall approaching and the weather in the area forecast to deteriorate significantly in the coming hours, we have been advised that the chances of a successful recovery are diminishing. As a result, SHK/Scallywag has made the difficult decision to turn downwind and head towards the South American coast, the nearest safe landfall, approximately 1,200 nautical miles away

We are all deeply saddened by the incident. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with John’s family and the Scallywag crew and we are doing all we can to support them during this period. 

We will have more information as it becomes available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gorn, it's the same text from the VOR site posted above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TimmyHate said:

Race Control will be too busy trying everything they can to tell the intern running the twitter and facebook accounts to post anything. 

Social media accounts in this day and age are ran by very savvy and well paid professionals. Condolences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aqua Logic said:

Social media accounts in this day and age are ran by very savvy and well paid professionals. Condolences. 

Although I hear an echo, just shut up. This stuff is not needed nor productive, and is a load of crap. Please keep this stuff to yourself and between your ears. Keep this thread non-recriminatory.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they reported the MOB at 1.42am it would have been dark? I'm confused by the reports which state nightfall wasn't far away at the time Scallywag were searching? If it was daylight could have employed the drone to assist in locating him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These units they carry are great but only AIS/VHF, not 406 MHz / satellite capable. 

http://oceansignal.com/products/mob1/

Am I right thinking they don't get 406 MHz units?

I'm not sure what the current status of combined units coming to market is, a regulatory issue in the US I last recall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@terrafirma times quoted are UTC, unsure what zone scallywag was in at the time, but it's been stated by the OBRs before (there was an interview with one ashore about it) that launching drones to help with SAR is difficult due to the constraints of the video feed from the drone (much lower res on stream) and preparing them for launch takes too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites