• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
southerncross

VOR Leg 7 Auckland to Itajai

8 minutes ago, mad said:

It’s all out there if you bother to look. 

Shackle, read my answer to Norbowgirl please.

4 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Shackle, read my answer to Norbowgirl please.

Drinking again/already?

or from your admission, just never stops. 

5 minutes ago, mad said:

Drinking again/already?

Not yet, but time for a glass of wine with my lunch indeed. Just too busy right now as I said earlier, and as you can see for yourself. Anyway, cheers, have another nightcap.

And yes, my apologies, that was a terrible insult indeed. :P

Edited by Fiji Bitter
apologies...

And Mad, I just notice you gave me a down vote for the post on preventers to Miffy. 

Are you not only mad, but an idiot too. Thought you were old school, well never mind. 

Remember Richard Bagnall in the Solent perhaps, or the many others?

That accident was a bit different actually, but it did show the dangers of the boom, but we all know that, do we?

Edited by Fiji Bitter
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Ozee Adventure said:

My mind keeps going back to... if we carried smoke as part of our gear (on our persons)

• what would that look like,
  • how could it work,
  • how would we not harm ourselves,
  • how could we deploy if stressed & panting (presuming all our parts were working optimally)...

Thinking out loud

Smoke generators, such as those used by skydivers, are cylinders about 3" in diameter and 4" high.  They are activated by pulling on a lanyard and they burn at very low temperature, so not much of a hazard.  They produce dense smoke in a variety of pretty colors.  Burn times range from 1-4 minutes, longer burns mean larger canisters. 

One problem that jumps out is that the smoke they produce, dense as it is, will not stand up well to high winds.  It gets blown around and dissipates quickly, couple that with the short duration and I don't see them helping much.

• Like 2

I have not followed the whole situation about this tragedy. Having lost a good friend of mind overboard during the Whitbread era, I am wondering if in respect to the sailor's memory it would be more appropriate to finish the leg. Maybe there is more broken gear than spirit.

320BDpic1-SR19-12.jpg

GROUPBOW1_crop (Medium).jpg

320G4pic.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaxDog said:

Smoke generators, such as those used by skydivers, are cylinders about 3" in diameter and 4" high.  They are activated by pulling on a lanyard and they burn at very low temperature, so not much of a hazard.  They produce dense smoke in a variety of pretty colors.  Burn times range from 1-4 minutes, longer burns mean larger canisters. 

One problem that jumps out is that the smoke they produce, dense as it is, will not stand up well to high winds.  It gets blown around and dissipates quickly, couple that with the short duration and I don't see them helping much.

...I was actually thinking more in the line of flares...and we don't get in so much trouble when its calm - maybe stain the water then... thanks

1 minute ago, Tanton Y_M said:

I am wondering if in respect to the sailor's memory it would be more appropriate to finish the leg.

We'll see, Yves.  Witty was very close.  

15 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

And Mad, I just notice you gave me a down vote for the post on preventers to Miffy. 

Are you not only mad, but an idiot too. Thought you were old school, well never mind. 

Remember Richard Bagnall in the Solent perhaps, or the many others?

That accident was a bit different actually, but it did show the dangers of the boom, but we all know that, do we?

Have another one, and get back to us all when you have something salient and sober to say. I’ve no idea what you’re talking about in your trip down memory lane. 

3 hours ago, stief said:

NBG, were you the one that mentioned only much later it was said that Hans was tether less? 

I fess up your your honour, twas me.

Someone on Moviestar let it slip he wasn't wasn't tethered around 4 or 5 days after the incident when they were dropped off in Falmouth along with Hans body going on a Dutch navel vessel. I was therefore expecting no information about Fish to surface until at least the crew hit Chile and after the RO's blackout over Vestas in Leg 4, that was probably being optimistic.

I don't think Scally's release of the details and Hayles piece at the same time was a coincidence. My guess is someone saw it as a means to suck all oxygen out of the speculation debate and deal with Hancock's grubby accusations in one. I don't think the fool understands how many people he has offended. Also as to timing maybe unlike 2006 they probably have on board now procedures to properly record details while the incident is fresh in people's mind to assist future investigations, thus they could be pretty certain about its accuracy for wider release.

I'm so glad they did this as maybe like many here the longer it went on, the more appalled I was about what Hancock had orchestrated for his own self-aggrandizement and the similiarly disrespectful like-minded pricks it brought to the surface.

In the future the Ed might like to think twice about publishing offensive shit like that. Unfortunately when you have a business and advertising platform been driven by traffic, that is maybe a big ask. 

If I was a substantial advertiser here I would be making my views on the timing and possibly nature of such future publications pretty clear to the Ed.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Also as to timing maybe unlike 2006 they probably have on board now procedures to properly record details while the incident is fresh in people's mind to assist future investigations, thus they could be pretty certain about its accuracy for wider release.

I was wondering about the various cameras that film from the top of the mast and the comms pod at the stern. Are these on continuous record? I clearly remember the Vesta reef incident last cycle and watching the replay of the action ... "what?! there's a rock here!!!" ... or some similar incredulous comment from a crew member peering over the side.

We will never see (I hope to god) any footage from the Fish MOB incident but for those that need to know, it would be invaluable.

Makes sense  Jack..... Footvirgina's mate / sock Car Crash will be along shortly to call you names. 

20 minutes ago, mad said:

Have another one, and get back to us all when you have something salient and sober to say. I’ve no idea what you’re talking about in your trip down memory lane. 

Jeez, you make me go on the booze. Are you really such an ignorant Pom?  You are avoiding the preventer question, and why you gave me a down vote. 

And the Bagnall story is old, but well known in the Lymington Checkers pub, but you didn't seem to know that pub either, I noticed before. Enough anyway, just go to bed, please.

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I fess up . . . , twas me.

Thanks. Never did get the "blame the victim' idea, but realize many take that route. 

m115595_crop110015_800x800_proportional_

MAPFRE by  Ugo Fonollá — published Thursday 29th Mar 2018 @ 01:53 UTC

Leg 7 from Auckland to Itajai, day 11 on board MAPFRE, Aerial shot, the crew were peeling with 35-40 kts of wind, 28 March, 2018.

m115599_crop110015_800x800_proportional_

MAPFRE by  Ugo Fonollá — published Thursday 29th Mar 2018 @ 01:57 UTC

Leg 7 from Auckland to Itajai, day 11 on board MAPFRE, surfing the southern ocean, Guillermo and Sophie at the hatch, 28 March, 2018

m115596_crop110015_800x800_proportional_

MAPFRE by  Ugo Fonollá — published Thursday 29th Mar 2018 @ 01:54 UTC

Leg 7 from Auckland to Itajai, day 11 on board MAPFRE, Rob Greenhalgh steering, 28 March, 2018.

• Like 1

That gybe sure paid off for TBRU

Team At position Instantaneous Average since last report
DTL Gain/Loss 24h run Waypoint COG SOG VMG COG SOG VMG
Team Brunel 0.0 nm 0.0 nm 452.1 nm Cabo Hornos 130° 21.3 kts 20.1 kts 107° 19.0 kts 19.0 kts
Vestas 11th Hour Racing 91.7 nm -19.1 nm 421.4 nm Cabo Hornos 68° 22.7 kts 22.0 kts 121° 18.9 kts 14.8 kts
Dongfeng Race Team 94.3 nm -5.8 nm 411.3 nm Cabo Hornos 66° 23.9 kts 22.4 kts 90° 18.1 kts 18.0 kts
MAPFRE 105.6 nm -11.9 nm 403.8 nm Cabo Hornos 151° 24.1 kts 13.0 kts 136° 21.0 kts 15.6 kts
Turn The Tide on Plastic 133.2 nm -18.2 nm 403.5 nm Cabo Hornos 61° 24.4 kts 21.9 kts 103° 16.5 kts 15.9 kts
Team AkzoNobel 141.0 nm -15.5 nm 413.8 nm Cabo Hornos 60° 23.7 kts 21.9 kts 108° 17.7 kts 16.0 kts

21 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

I was wondering about the various cameras that film from the top of the mast and the comms pod at the stern. Are these on continuous record? I clearly remember the Vesta reef incident last cycle and watching the replay of the action ... "what?! there's a rock here!!!" ... or some similar incredulous comment from a crew member peering over the side.

We will never see (I hope to god) any footage from the Fish MOB incident but for those that need to know, it would be invaluable.

Theres a camera that continuously records, and in the event of an incident, special moment, or whatever the crew can hit a button which captures the n minutes before and after (I think 4 before?)

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

He was not getting back below, he was on watch already. He did indeed sent his crew down first to get their safety gear on, waiting for his turn. Hate to say it, let alone to blame anyone, but they were simply too late to do that.

That sad story is exactly the reason why my Musto gear had a build in harness, and the tethers in a pocket, always immediately available whenever one was wearing the foul weather gear. Don't know if Musto is still doing that, probably not, because it might be difficult to make it to regulatory standards. 

On top of that, there was always 10 mini-flare McMurdo in a pocket, as well as a strobe light.

My recollection of the incident is Hans was on deck trimming spinnaker, and as a result him and the helmsman were last to go down when a wave washed him overboard. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, samc99us said:

My recollection of the incident is Hans was on deck trimming spinnaker, and as a result him and the helmsman were last to go down when a wave washed him overboard. 

I think he had just come on deck.

12 minutes ago, Ozee Adventure said:

From Musto on FB

Thanks Ozee, "nice" video collage, but a bit too soon for my mind.  Musto marketing, not an appropriate thing to do at this time, methinks. 

On the other hand, we'll have to get over it somehow.

Edited by Fiji Bitter

5 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Musto marketing, not an appropriate thing to do at this time, methinks

Looks very respectful to me...disrespectful would be ignoring him.

• Like 1

From the Musto video.  Not a good look safety wise is it ...

image.png.259a9ba2b07d049b14a41ee1d4d53b62.png

26 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Looks very respectful to me...disrespectful would be ignoring him.

I didn't see any marketing. 

I agree with Jack, it was very respectful and helps those of us who didn't know him, learn a little more about him. 

From the number of times in that video where he was laughing or smiling, he obviously loved what he was doing.

RIP John Fisher

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Thanks Ozee, "nice" video collage, but a bit too soon for my mind.  Musto marketing, not an appropriate thing to do at this time, methinks. 

The video was put together by photographer Keith Brash and was shared by Musto. Sailor girl also shared it,. Was she using it for marketing? NO.

It was very appropriate.

• Like 2

One thing I will say from the preliminary report of events, and the standard setup with everyone at the back of the bus in heavy running conditions -- the teams may be thinking of keeping the traveller locked centre and running temporary jacklines over it either side, so crew can move back and fwd without unclipping.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

I think he had just come on deck.

No, as stated above, and as can be seen and was stated in the documentary posted earlier by Mad? that is 1/2 in Dutch, some in English (and, no dry eyes for me), he had apparently sent the rest of the crew on deck below to get their foul weather/safety gear on, Hans was the last to make his way to the the back of the boat to go down, below, a big wave came and the boat dipped down,  others incl Si Fi were below deck, then Si FI heard a sail flapping in the wind, figured out what had happened, and hit the MOB button. It appears Hans was washed. The coroner's report/autopsy showed a fractured skull, so it is surmised Hans hit his head, perhaps on the steering wheel or something else in the back of the boat and may have been unconscious when he went over and into the water. 

It's a huge shame that tragedies bring out the Vultures and the trolls. 

If you are joining this thread for the John Fisher tragedy, pay your respects, otherwise fuck off

Vulture_full.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

No, as stated above, and as can be seen and was stated in the documentary posted earlier by Mad? that is 1/2 in Dutch, some in English (and, no dry eyes for me), he had apparently sent the rest of the crew on deck below to get their foul weather/safety gear on, Hans was the last to make his way to the the back of the boat to go down, below, a big wave came and the boat dipped down,  others incl Si Fi were below deck, then Si FI heard a sail flapping in the wind, figured out what had happened, and hit the MOB button. It appears Hans was washed. The coroner's report/autopsy showed a fractured skull, so it is surmised Hans hit his head, perhaps on the steering wheel or something else in the back of the boat and may have been unconscious when he went over and into the water. 

I stand corrected.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hoppy said:

The video was put together by photographer Keith Brash and was shared by Musto. Sailor girl also shared it,. Was she using it for marketing? NO.

It was very appropriate.

Well, it said "From Musto on FB", and I said methinks, and added a caveat too. I am sorry if I got that wrong, but I tried to be very considerate. Perhaps I was influenced by their marketing people lying about Musto's involvement in the Whitbread, but that has nothing to do with it. My bad!

Nevertheless, I was feeling sick seeing his son saying farewell, I am not alone in that, methinks.

• Like 1

DF still losing ground, so to speak: 98 nm behind. What is the problem?

And Mapre has apparently died its problem with the mast as it has caught up. 

I noted Charles said earlier there was snow on the deck. Now, that makes things very slippery. 

4 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

I noted Charles said earlier there was snow on the deck. Now, that makes things very slippery. 

Check the video of DF above.  Awesome footage.  Snow in the sail.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Not losing ground...like everyone else being put to the sword in varying degrees by the Yellow Rocket ....who with that gap have the luxury of going deep in lighter air and looking forward to their last sunrise in the SO.

Has Scally changed course heading towards the Horn?  Top left boat I think.  They were headed due East 3 hours ago.

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 8.09.53 PM.png

12 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Check the video of DF above.  Awesome footage.  Snow in the sail.

Yes, I saw that; thought it was snow. 

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Not losing ground...like everyone else being put to the sword in varying degrees by the Yellow Rocket ....who have the luxury of going deep in lighter air and looking forward to their last sunrise in the SO.

Got it. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, samc99us said:

From what I have read in various reports, that is also correct. The boat was sailing downwind, Sebastian Josse at the helm, Hans trimming or had just trimmed the spinnaker, and some reports said Nice Bice, Andrew Lewis and Lucas Brun were also on deck. 

25 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Well, it said "From Musto on FB", and I said methinks, and added a caveat too. I am sorry if I got that wrong, but I tried to be very considerate. Perhaps I was influenced by their marketing people lying about Musto's involvement in the Whitbread, but that has nothing to do with it. My bad!

Nevertheless, I was feeling sick seeing his son saying farewell, I am not alone in that, methinks.

I'd doubt that any professional company associated with sailing will try to use this tragedy for marketing.

On the other hand, trolls and profits of doom bloggers (BH) will use this to enhance their reputations and drive up reader numbers.

I would love to see Steve Hayles to run into Brian Hancock right now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Has Scally changed course heading towards the Horn?  Top left boat I think.

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 8.09.53 PM.png

When this first happened, there was a "pleasure boat" that was too far north to be Scally (I think) and was heading to the horn. Same boat probably.

11 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Has Scally changed course heading towards the Horn?  Top left boat I think.

Disturbing the way you know what my computer is doing. Was just looking at that, then got hung up on the trippiness of the density maps. Ooooh

5abc5b1473bc5_ScreenShot2018-03-28at9_17_10PM.png.29d2761433ffc3be8da5f3d3e8bd8ceb.png

• Like 1

Hmm.  Looks similar.  I guess my hope is they had a change of heart and are finishing the race in honor of Fish.

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 8.20.54 PM.png

• Like 2

I hope Witty gets the mental health support he needs.

Looking at the race, assuming current standings - race for 2nd and 3rd place will get more interesting with Brunel and Vestas still in it. DF's door for challenging MAPFRE slowly closing.

52 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Mapfre SO gybe sequence.  Someone was asking.

Thanks. gTrans not much help--Ñeti speaks so quickly :D --, so still wondering about the repair Ñeti and Xabi are doing.

more in touch with em away they
practically kado parameter one is for
her master interference vocalization is
a brooch our fear our karate what
yes already give it us is
reaching pedometer day our team
via popular catalyst massive cheating
calamity palatable when I say they'll
get among others

5abc5de6218ab_ScreenShot2018-03-28at9_28_01PM.png.93fd0587f14c02fc4d8f3c09322d8cb0.png

35 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

That's wipeout begging territory dunc.

why?

No vang in use, sheets eased a fair bit.

The only danger is going too square  with lots of sheet off and having the top twist off fwd of the mast.  I can't see that happening with the  sort of boom angles they use.

EDIT: check Donger's traveller pos here.  Only a foot or two off centre

m115605_crop110015_800x800_proportional_

21 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I would love to see Steve Hayles to run into Brian Hancock right now. 

I think NorBowGirl's ancestoral thinking is along the lines of the "Blood Eagle".

4 minutes ago, stief said:

gTrans not much help, so still wondering about the repair Ñeti and Xabi are doing.

Another clue.

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 8.35.26 PM.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Hmm.  Looks similar.  I guess my hope is they had a change of heart and are finishing the race in honor of Fish.

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 8.20.54 PM.png

They'd be wanting to stay well out of the system that's coming up behind them first before coming around the corner. Probably just on opposite gybe running downwind.

1 minute ago, albanyguy said:

They'd be wanting to stay well out of the system that's coming up behind them first before coming around the corner. Probably just on opposite gybe running downwind.

Probably right.

20 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

why?

No vang in use, sheets eased a fair bit.

The only danger is going too square  with lots of sheet off and having the top twist off fwd of the mast.  I can't see that happening with the  sort of boom angles they use.

using the center-third of the traveller would put less emphasis on the mainsheet, split the workload. it'd be that much easier to control the main.

Rounding is going to be a relief but quite frankly until they find the right side of a high off Argentina it is not going to be fun. With the pace Yellow Rocket has shown in sporty uphill conditions at beginning of Leg 6, she might be a distant memory by the time they are past the Falklands. The others are going to have to scrap it out for the crumbs in less than enjoyable conditions until then.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I hope Witty gets the mental health support he needs.

Traditionally males are not as open to asking for help as females.

A psychologist would help unpack any negative thoughts & keep a great eye on how things develop, a sudden death will take about a month for the fog to lift & that's Joe Public on land.

They would also be able to screen for any issues down the track such as reactive depressions PTSD & refer on.

Much better than showing up to a GP & getting pills as a crutch with no other follow up/assessment.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Steif, I think it's a mast track car.

Yes, I got that. Well played. btw, did you enjoy the gtrans transcript? Thought you'd  get a chuckle. Ñeti spoke so quickly earlier that the translator rightly choked.

IN any case, great shots, especially the drone views. Driving down the waves not quite as gripping as the DFRT sequence you posted above the MAPF one, but impressive how much the OBRs have developed this edition.

1 hour ago, despacio avenue said:

And Mapre has apparently died its problem with the mast as it has caught up. 

Scroll back the tracker. DF was sailing a higher course then the rest of the fleet. Also note Brunel has been sailing a bit deeper then the rest of the fleet consistently. When I checked this morning, Vestas had been sailing deeper too, but not with the consistency of Brunel. Haven't scrolled back to see how deep Vestas was sailing compared to the fleet, since this morning, but I did look at Brunel, they've been sailing deeper then the rest of the fleet for a while, especially so the past 24+ hrs. That's also some good driving, if they're not sailing so deep that they stuff the wave in front of them in these conditions, thus putting on the brakes.

27 minutes ago, boomer said:

Scroll back the tracker. DF was sailing a higher course then the rest of the fleet. Also note Brunel has been sailing a bit deeper then the rest of the fleet consistently. When I checked this morning, Vestas had been sailing deeper too, but not with the consistency of Brunel. Haven't scrolled back to see how deep Vestas was sailing compared to the fleet, since this morning, but I did look at Brunel, they've been sailing deeper then the rest of the fleet for a while, especially so the past 24+ hrs. That's also some good driving, if they're not sailing so deep that they stuff the wave in front of them in these conditions, thus putting on the brakes.

I just did that (scrolled back the tracker) and, I now see what you and Jack were and are talking about. Thanks both. Wonder why the "new" Brunel; is this the surprise we were told to await? 

Jack said they're sailing deeper because they have the luxury of lighter winds, however looking at the TWS Brunel has had higher winds on the average, especially today. They're just sailing deeper - period.

As for Brunel: Perhaps a strong desire to get out of the SO and around the horn - but more then likely they've got the lead and are running with it as quickly as they can, or both -  it could be  a whole new race after the rounding - and they know that - and they'll want some distance, to hold off the pack till Itajai.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozee Adventure said:

Traditionally males are not as open to asking for help as females.

A psychologist would help unpack any negative thoughts & keep a great eye on how things develop, a sudden death will take about a month for the fog to lift & that's Joe Public on land.

They would also be able to screen for any issues down the track such as reactive depressions PTSD & refer on.

Much better than showing up to a GP & getting pills as a crutch with no other follow up/assessment.

For any sort of counselling to work you need insight and motivation.

Most of the time with guys you have to wait a while till they get the message.

There are no pills for this sort of thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stief said:

Yes, I got that. Well played. btw, did you enjoy the gtrans transcript? Thought you'd  get a chuckle. Ñeti spoke so quickly earlier that the translator rightly choked.

He said they are trying to fix the mast track problem. There is a ripped section of the track. Now they can only use one or two reefs, and they are trying to develop an improvement to move to full main or one reef for the next reaching.

He also explained, they are expecting +40 knots in the incoming night, so they will furl the head sail and only use the J2. In such conditions they will not gybe, but tack full around. They will lose some miles, but they prefer.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Brunel will be (maybe) within sight of land.. pretty significant event on board, I imagine.

2.00am now?... might need owl eyes.

This really sucks for his family and friends, however I hope they can find peace knowing he was a brave man who died doing something he obviously loved and was very good at. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LuisC said:

He said they are trying to fix the mast track problem. There is a ripped section of the track. Now they can only use one or two reefs, and they are trying to develop an improvement to move to full main or one reef for the next reaching.

He also explained, they are expecting +40 knots in the incoming night, so they will furl the head sail and only use the J2. In such conditions they will not gybe, but tack full around. They will lose some miles, but they prefer.

Gracias.Thanks for the details, especially the plan if in 40 knots.

1 hour ago, stief said:

Thanks. gTrans not much help--Ñeti speaks so quickly :D --, so still wondering about the repair Ñeti and Xabi are doing.

5abc5de6218ab_ScreenShot2018-03-28at9_28_01PM.png.93fd0587f14c02fc4d8f3c09322d8cb0.png

Spanish sailor here.

Ñeti says they are sailing in 40/45 kts, with the J2 on the front. Not jibing, just tacking to reduce risks.

They are sailing without the connections between the battens and the cars, in the damaged mast track area. The temporary fix allows a 1 reef or 2 reefs configuration. They are thinking how to rig it for a full main/1 reef config.

Expecting some reaching conditions, Also they are inventing some way to increase the luff tension and get the luff close to the mast (remember they have removed the studs between the cars and the batten receptacle.

• Like 4

FWIW, helm netting pic links, thanks to JBC and helper. First column gives all the team pics, 2nd column to a net pic (or helm pic if no net easily spotted).  Didn't notice any from leg 3, or nets behind the helm, but didn't check carefully. "Tanker bow wave breaker" turned out to be an optical illusion

m114947_crop110015_800x800_proportional_

AKZO http://vor.jbcsystems.com/photo/8296.html
DFRT http://vor.jbcsystems.com/photo/8417.html
SHKS http://vor.jbcsystems.com/photo/8177.html
TBRU http://vor.jbcsystems.com/photo/8501.html
MAPF http://vor.jbcsystems.com/photo/8064.html
TTOP http://vor.jbcsystems.com/photo/8393.html
VS11 http://vor.jbcsystems.com/photo/8512.html

g'night. safe watch all. Landmark moments in a few hours.

• Like 2

Subject to a trillion things of course, but if Scally was to get things sorted and out of Puerto Montt early next week then there is a weather window for a quick trip to Brazil in time for a boat refresh and starting Leg 8. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silex said:

Spanish sailor here.

Ñeti says they are sailing in 40/45 kts, with the J2 on the front. Not jibing, just tacking to reduce risks.

They are sailing without the connections between the battens and the cars, in the damaged mast track area. The temporary fix allows a 1 reef or 2 reefs configuration. They are thinking how to rig it for a full main/1 reef config.

Expecting some reaching conditions, Also they are inventing some way to increase the luff tension and get the luff close to the mast (remember they have removed the studs between the cars and the batten receptacle.

Thanks! Luff info makes sense of some of the pics recently. Best news is that they don't seem to be talking about the pit stop they had mentioned earlier.

11 minutes ago, stief said:

FWIW, helm netting pic links, thanks to JBC and helper. First column gives all the team pics, 2nd column to a net pic (or helm pic if no net easily spotted).  Didn't notice any from leg 3, or nets behind the helm, but didn't check carefully.

AKZO http://vor.jbcsystems.com/photo/8296.html
DFRT http://vor.jbcsystems.com/photo/8417.html
SHKS http://vor.jbcsystems.com/photo/8177.html
TBRU http://vor.jbcsystems.com/photo/8501.html
MAPF http://vor.jbcsystems.com/photo/8064.html
TTOP http://vor.jbcsystems.com/photo/8393.html
VS11 http://vor.jbcsystems.com/photo/8512.html

g'night. safe watch all. Landmark moments in a few hours.

They all have these on the back as well, some like Vestas are super small, Scallywag have notably the biggest - all for helping crew from getting swept.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boomer said:

Jack said they're sailing deeper because they have the luxury of lighter winds, however looking at the TWS Brunel has had higher winds on the average, especially today. They're just sailing deeper - period.

As for Brunel: Perhaps a strong desire to get out of the SO and around the horn - but more then likely they've got the lead and are running with it as quickly as they can, or both -  it could be  a whole new race after the rounding - and they know that - and they'll want some distance, to hold off the pack till Itajai.

Yes Boomer I commented on this 4 or 5 pages back. The triple reefed main seems to give clear air to the fore sails amongst other benefits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boomer said:

Jack said they're sailing deeper because they have the luxury of lighter winds, however looking at the TWS Brunel has had higher winds on the average, especially today. 

Boom I was only attributing that to last sked where they now have softer stuff and the "luxury" was the gap they had built up so could go a bit deeper albeit slower, but with good VMG all the same. Apart from a superior set up, Capey has been playing the angles like Mozart.

• Like 1