southerncross

VOR Leg 7 Auckland to Itajai

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Agree--or we'd have heard more about that option

(Good! You're back. Or is this an A1 joke? :lol: )

Had a really nice cold that knocked me out flat for a week. Together with the disenchantment from the HK incident that really dropped interest levels to nutthin.

Great timing to come back too. =/ 
I saw a "Death in the VOR" headline yesterday somewhere else and the first though was: Scallywag or Vestas? Right after that the news that Vestas dropped the rig was just the BINGO! cherry on top of the cake...
I won't say expected, that goes way too far, but not surprising either that it happened on Scallywag. They had just too many serve incidents on previous legs for my taste. [Boom to the head, MOB.]

With a the release of more information by Scallywag much of the discussion and FP articles became obsolete.

My conclusion is that the boats are not made for this. (Maybe none of the current crewed monos is.)

There are just not enough good tie in points and jack lines. Unclipping to move -> boom to the head -> overboard -> dead. (It is unclear to me if the hit was survivable, MOB or nor.) That was of course followed by the picture of clipping into lifelines. I really doubt that the crew is doing that because they ignore sturdier and easier to reach tie in points.
Below is a deathtrap too, hard edges and sharp corners, not enough nets. How many people have been launched from the shitter so far and crashed headfirst into the bulkhead? At this point someone has to break the neck before that gets changed. OD über alles! (If anyone does not think so rewatch that raw again, Z.E.R.O. handholds for short people on the shitter.) I'd put a net in front of it, it's not like it is in the way of anything. A convenient place to store more TP and ointments if anything.
Or the whole no diesel heater discussion. Small cheap stuff that improves the quality of life a lot. Better rested, more alert, less incidents, less people injured, less chance someone dies...............

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Are you sure it's Puerto Montt, Norbowgirl?  Chay might be right about Valdivia.

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 11.05.47 AM.png

Scallywag is still a sailing vessel. every time they change course It doesn't mean they're getting a new destination. 

They've been closer to that heading the last few sheds, Mifster.

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I

OK paps..but I'm itching to take an eye out at least.

You got nothing but your imagination Jacky-boy, and that's fuck all to a bee's dick.

Coincides with the wind conditions. No one likes sailing deep down wind except cruisers doing wing on wing. 

They might be changing destination. They might not. I'd tend to err on the side of listening to someone who has delivery exp with Scallywag company  

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

They might not. I'd tend to err on the side of listening to someone who has delivery exp with Scallywag company

Montt was the port I suspected from the beginning.  Remind me, which ports did you throw out again? 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Are you sure it's Puerto Montt, Norbowgirl?  Chay might be right about Valdivia.

Thats what I heard. It looks to me like both destinations are nicely reachable so we'll see. The plan one has today might change in two days, like always. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

Montt was the port I suspected from the beginning.  Remind me, which ports did you throw out again? 

Bad Easter?

This event has degenerated into a farce. 

In a race designed to send it, those still intact, can't for fear of demasting.  It's a complete fucking joke.

• Downvote 3

5 hours ago, southerncross said:

What happened?  

I'd been to all the others within the year. Tristan is hit or miss with being able to land. Been in sight a few times but always to much swell to land .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 11.05.47 AM.png

I don't think I mentioned Valdivia as an option for Valdivia. It's too shallow for them. 

1 hour ago, NORBowGirl said:

Thats what I heard. It looks to me like both destinations are nicely reachable so we'll see. The plan one has today might change in two days, like always. 

You off for a delivery trip?

Something about the actual race that's going on, if you don't mind.  I know you all check the RE Tweets all the time, but it's also nice for the RE to see we are paying attention, so they might do half time updates again, specially for us.  ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mad said:

You off for a delivery trip?

If I didn’t have a day job..... ;) 

^^ hear hear FB, not sure they’ll listen but definitely agree. :)

4 minutes ago, Elisa said:

^^ hear hear FB, not sure they’ll listen but definitely agree. :)

They do listen actually, and help out if they can, they are a good bunch!

But what about your cold, you still seem to have a bit of a Shackle in your throat. Never mind, as long as the yellow sub is leading, who cares, isn't it?  Eat some more eggs and get well soon!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NORBowGirl said:

A rough measurement with the tracker ruler puts SHKS about 225 nm away from Puerto Montt. Even under engine power, wouldn't that mean they they could arrive there in the next 24 hours or so? Yet,  VOR front page article posted today says this:

And Team SHK/Scallywag continues its long approach to the Chilean coast following the tragic loss of John Fisher. Landfall is expected early next week.

Maybe it is a little lost in translation and their "next week" starts after Easter Monday. My "next week" starts in a week. Under the the circumstances, you'd think the crew would like to get off the boat asap and regroup.

Simon Fisher Retweeted Vestas 11th Hour

There has been something very comforting about be greeted by British and finding all things British so far from home here in the Falklands!

Full English breakfast, red phone boxes and post boxes and more land rovers than you can count are among the highlights!

There is a real rugged beauty to the Falklands and it has been great to be given such a warm welcome. Plans are going well to continue our journey north.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, random said:

This event has degenerated into a farce. 

In a race designed to send it, those still intact, can't for fear of demasting.  It's a complete fucking joke.

Wrong. The team currently winning has the most experience keeping a boat together in heavy seas and knowing exactly when to back off the gas. They have a rig intact from what we know, and I'll bet good money BB is going to keep it that way from here to the finish line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, samc99us said:

Wrong. The team currently winning has the most experience keeping a boat together in heavy seas and knowing exactly when to back off the gas. They have a rig intact from what we know, and I'll bet good money BB is going to keep it that way from here to the finish line.

Whilst I hate the fact that you have quoted that twat, as having him on ignore keeps this thread pretty clean, his comment shows how little he knows about the history of the VOR.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Potter said:

Whilst I hate the fact that you have quoted that twat, as having him on ignore keeps this thread pretty clean, his comment shows how little he knows about the history of the VOR.

He's a troll who comments to provoke. Even he probably doesn't believe half the crap he writes.. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Potter said:

Some famous philosopher must have said 

He who knows the least, stirs the most shit

Or maybe that was spews the most shit.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Potter said:

Agreed

1 minute ago, hoppy said:

He's a troll who comments to provoke. Even he probably doesn't believe half the crap he writes.. 

And this.

Any chance the last couple of posters starve him of oxygen and stop quoting him?  Even with the benefit of the doubt that he doesn’t believe half of it, it’s still an insight to a disturbing train of thought running through his mind. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Simon Fisher Retweeted Vestas 11th Hour

There has been something very comforting about be greeted by British and finding all things British so far from home here in the Falklands!

Full English breakfast, red phone boxes and post boxes and more land rovers than you can count are among the highlights!

There is a real rugged beauty to the Falklands and it has been great to be given such a warm welcome. Plans are going well to continue our journey north.

„Finding all things british“........... BRRrrrrrr what a horrible thought

• Like 3

ECMWF and GFS in relative agreement now. Sadly, TToP position may be in jeopardy of being Buffalo girled. It could get close.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, littlechay said:

I don't think I mentioned Valdivia as an option for Valdivia. It's too shallow for them. 

Looks like the closest they could get is Puerto Corral. Puerto Montt has quite a few flights to Santiago each day, many more than Valdivia.

15 minutes ago, ExOmo said:

Maybe one of the competitors will get to see the Tiangong 1 reentry.,...

Oh God ... if I were Vestas, and with their luck, I'd stay put until that thing was safely down!! :-)

31 minutes ago, hoppy said:
37 minutes ago, Potter said:

He's a troll who comments to provoke. Even he probably doesn't believe half the crap he writes

I believe every word I write.  I have a good appreciation of the history of the VOR including the concept of the 65.  One-design, less powerful and more robust to prevent what happened to the 70s, rigs falling down and boat sinking.

Rig problems are not just about skill in not breaking them, they are potentially life threatening.  By going one-design there was an opportunity to build something that would withstand being pushed in the conditions over the course.  I have been on a boat with rig issues and it's fucking exhausting constantly looking up at it and listening to every noise, not knowing when it was going to come down.

So how's that bulletproof plan going?  Not so good?  That's why I said it was a farce.

maybe you should follow the Clipper race then Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlosgp5 said:

What should be the Eta for the front ones? 

Should be around 18.00 UTC on Tuesday, or 15.00 Itajai time, but things can change of course. 

Best to follow progress on the VOR tracker:  https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/tracker.html   It's a bit of a hassle to get the predicted positions, but with some patience it can be done. The tracker should go Live for the last 200 nm.

The Race Experts will be along with their ETA before long: https://twitter.com/RaceExperts?lang=en

Didn't you make pictures last time? Please do so again, together with all the gossip of course.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Looks like the closest they could get is Puerto Corral. Puerto Montt has quite a few flights to Santiago each day, many more than Valdivia.

Yes there are very few facilities in Corral, a very cool Spanish fort though; which Cochrane sneakily attacked over land and they had no guns pointed that way.... Any just up the river is Alwoplast who build the Atlantic cats and further up the club in Valdivia itself.

Puerto Monty is a shithole but much better in terms of facilities and communications. Several marinas and lots of workshops. Lots of kids sniffing glue and apparently not the most secure place.... Great view of volcanos !

• Like 1

I have it on good authority that Vestas have had the centre line ballast tank converted to hold 1000L of diesel and in total.have 1500 L aboard...

Edit... And they have left. AVG speed under motor about 6 knots.

• Like 7

Photos

• Like 7

Fuck! That’s going to be a dull trip at 6 knots. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mad said:

Rollin, rollin, rollin....even I'd get seasick.

• Like 1

Canting the keel a little or a board help?  Or just drag from the board not worth it. 

8 minutes ago, mad said:

But at least it sounds like they have beer!

• Like 3

@Fiji Bitter sounds like it was rough up your way last night but you're still posting so presumably still alive! Everything OK?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Rollin, rollin, rollin....even I'd get seasick.

I've only once ever been on the proper ocean motoring an IOR boat with no stick. The motion was horrendous!

I can only guess a deep bulb pendulum would give a really sharp reaction motion without the damping of the rig.

7 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

I've only once ever been on the proper ocean motoring an IOR boat with no stick. The motion was horrendous!

I can only guess a deep bulb pendulum would give a really sharp reaction motion without the damping of the rig.

I’ve never done it, just heard stories. I don’t envy them this trip. Crossing my fingers for flattest possible water for them. 

Maybe they should have got Martech to re-pitch the crappy 2 blader. 6knots in a 65 footer seems ridiculous.

This is happening later today. Hopefully with Vestas' luck it doesn't find them. 

Do the VO65s have any kind of autohelm system (even if for emergency only)?

Steering to Itajai at 6kts under engine will get seriously fucking boring very quickly

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Should be around 18.00 UTC on Tuesday, or 15.00 Itajai time, but things can change of course. 

Best to follow progress on the VOR tracker:  https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/tracker.html   It's a bit of a hassle to get the predicted positions, but with some patience it can be done. The tracker should go Live for the last 200 nm.

The Race Experts will be along with their ETA before long: https://twitter.com/RaceExperts?lang=en

Didn't you make pictures last time? Please do so again, together with all the gossip of course.

Sure will be out on the water... But this ill do my best for not getting wasted as i was last time around. Aahuaha

• Like 1

Also not planning to lose engine on the channel and have a tow from the navy who hits the rocks

12 minutes ago, horatio_nelson said:

Do the VO65s have any kind of autohelm system (even if for emergency only)?

Steering to Itajai at 6kts under engine will get seriously fucking boring very quickly

They’ll be trying think of anything they can if the sea conditions allow, I’m sure. 

Being offwatch is going to be even worse. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mad said:

They’ll be trying think of anything they can if the sea conditions allow, I’m sure. 

Being offwatch is going to be even worse. 

The noise. Hope they found some earplugs in the Kelper. 

40 minutes ago, Miffy said:

This is happening later today. Hopefully with Vestas' luck it doesn't find them. 

Update 8:30 p.m. EDT: Tiangong-1 may have already reentered, or it may be approaching the Pacific coast of South America. If the spacecraft is still flying, it should cross over Chile and then Argentina soon, possibly to be spotted in the sky.

Sure hope VOR HQ include V11 on their tracker and that the continue to provide live tracker updates even after the others have finished.

I was thinking they might rig some kind of stick to enable some kind of sailing from favorable angles and/or to dampen the motion.  I guess not.

2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I was thinking they might rig some kind of stick to enable some kind of sailing from favorable angles and/or to dampen the motion.  I guess not.

Me too. Wonder where their boom went?

53 minutes ago, littlechay said:

@Fiji Bitter sounds like it was rough up your way last night but you're still posting so presumably still alive! Everything OK?

Just a few squalls, and of course  buckets of rain here..  5 people swept away by floods near Nadi, but no reports of damage as luckily Josie made a wobble away from the island of Kadavu in the far south. I mentioned Southern Fiji in my 1st April report, but I am actually more in the north . Let me know when you come this way again. 

Not too many cyclones (yet) this season, but 2 slight hits for Fiji nevertheless. I reckon the VOR took a certain risk by twice crossing these cyclone waters, although they should be able to get out of their way with the speeds they are doing. Unless a mast breaks of course...

• Like 2

I was really surprised when Brunel played their mainsail card at the start of this leg instead of afterwards. Looks like a brilliant move now.

• Like 2

They put a new main on in Hong Kong.

3 hours ago, littlechay said:

I have it on good authority that Vestas have had the centre line ballast tank converted to hold 1000L of diesel and in total.have 1500 L aboard...

Edit... And they have left. AVG speed under motor about 6 knots.

Gawrsh,,, would there be any thought to changing from the folding prop to something more speedy?  

Brunel have to defend their 14 mile lead for 700 miles against Dongfeng. Seems at least one more complicated weather situation coming up. Sounds like quite a job, hope they manage to keep the red boat behind them though.

Must be really hard for TToP/Mapfre to get stuck on the flypaper in 5 knots of wind after everything the leg has thrown at them already.

Re: Liz Wardly. She is fantastic, but don't under-rate Abby Ehler. I may have fallen in love with her somewhat.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

Gawrsh,,, would there be any thought to changing from the folding prop to something more speedy?  

Getting one that fitted in Stanley would be something of a challenge and flying one in would take longer than the time it would gain them on passage. 

• Like 1

Went back to see how TB skirted the high so successfully. Looks they absolutely nailed the timing of the gybe here to get north into the stronger easterlies. Impressive.

Capture.thumb.PNG.4ace80f1a6ede86eb9673a151b4a11fa.PNG

4 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

The Race Experts will be along with their ETA before long

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I would not want the gig of driving a sail free Volvo 65 3000 kilometers under power. The one part of the boat you know was never intended to be run continuously for 300 hours is the diesel and the sail drive. If it packs up, you are completely and totally shit outa luck and hoping someone will take you under tow before the freeze dry runs out.  Oooof. 

I hope they have plenty of the necessary fluids and check their levels frequently.

SHC

20 minutes ago, Steve Clark said:

I hope they have plenty of the necessary fluids and check their levels frequently.

I hear there's a good supply of beer.

12 minutes ago, Steve Clark said:

I'm pretty sure I would not want the gig of driving a sail free Volvo 65 3000 kilometers under power. The one part of the boat you know was never intended to be run continuously for 300 hours is the diesel and the sail drive. If it packs up, you are completely and totally shit outa luck and hoping someone will take you under tow before the freeze dry runs out.  Oooof. 

SHC

The diesels and sail drives are off the shelf Volvo gear. They have spare impellers and even reserve oil. Not going to be any harder on the system than running the diesel charging the batteries couple of hours a day while making water. 

I think the chief concern should be gear they lost with the mast. Tricolour. Radar. Mast VHF/AIS class B. Tho I suppose you really have to be asleep at the helm to miss something at 6 knots with no sails. 

10 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I here there's a good supply of beer.

No wonder they're slow. ;)

20 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I here there's a good supply of beer.

A good supply of beer and a supply of good beer can be distinctly different. Let's hope it's good beer. Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

23 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I hear there's a good supply of beer.

Is there some extra cooking gear on-board? Deepfried snaks may be a bit much to ask, but something more exiting than freezedried may be nice with the beer.

24 minutes ago, Varan said:

A good supply of beer and a supply of good beer can be distinctly different. Let's hope it's good beer. Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

scan0634.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hoppy said:

maybe you should follow the Clipper race then Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

At least they are out there living their own dreams, actually two years ago today IchorCoal crew member Sarah Young lost her life at sea

5 hours ago, ExOmo said:

Maybe one of the competitors will get to see the Tiangong 1 reentry.,...

3 hours ago, Miffy said:

It it is already down in the Pacific ....probably entangled in plastic and won't sink. 

49 minutes ago, Miffy said:

The diesels and sail drives are off the shelf Volvo gear. They have spare impellers and even reserve oil. Not going to be any harder on the system than running the diesel charging the batteries couple of hours a day while making water. 

I think the chief concern should be gear they lost with the mast. Tricolour. Radar. Mast VHF/AIS class B. Tho I suppose you really have to be asleep at the helm to miss something at 6 knots with no sails. 

They would have rigged the spare railmount VHF antenna. An AP would the thing they would like most to have.

This will be the first time the engine has been put under extended load, probably do it more good than anything and loaded at the right end of the crank for a change.

The 6 knots sounds a bit pathetic even with a tonne of diesel, I suspect maybe an undersized prop for racing. Pity they couldn't change that out.

32 minutes ago, Varan said:

Ballast.jpg

30 minutes ago, Zander said:

Is there some extra cooking gear on-board? Deepfried snaks may be a bit much to ask, but something more exiting than freezedried may be nice with the beer.

Stepping off looking like a bunch of obese couch potatoes??...that is not a good look.

56 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Pretty good that the RE are playing along again, they do all the time actually, if they can. Even though an ETA by the day is not what Carlos needs, he wants to know by the minute when to wake up from his "sesta". 

I am a bit shocked to see that TTOP and Mapfre are four (4) days behind, couldn't believe it, but the trackers confirm that. They will need to get the fishing gear out of the liferaft !

48 minutes ago, Varan said:

Be positive.... it will be a good supply of good beer? And if you have been at sea long enough, ANY beer is good beer.....

Looks like a nice clean run to the finish from here for the two leaders.  Sweet way to end a tough race.

• Like 1

In the grand scheme of things the Space station didn't miss Skally by that much.

re entry.jpg