southerncross

VOR Leg 7 Auckland to Itajai

Dunno what you guys are seeing, but my trackers show Akzo in 16-20 kn. wind at the moment. They missed the first train, but just seem to have caught the last one. We'll know in 30 minutes.

7 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Dunno what you guys are seeing, but my trackers show Akzo in 16-20 kn. wind at the moment. They missed the first train, but just seem to have caught the last one. We'll know in 30 minutes.

Yeah but the last 2 are screwed.

Both Windy trackers have them still in the bog when the leaders finish, poor bastards.

High Times..JPG

33 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

You have been in the drink again mate. They lost over 80nm since last sched and at last update sitting in the 12 zone. New update any second.

24 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Yeah but the last 2 are screwed.

Not screwed you mean, by the time they get to Itajai all the hot ones will be taken.

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

You have been in the drink again mate. They lost over 80nm since last sched and at last update sitting in the 12 zone. New update any second.

Still in solid third, and they were never gone catch up anyway.

And voila, just 30.5 nm loss, and now moving at 22 kn.

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Red and Yellow are through the door..no more gybing for a while, sit back, feet up and put the preventer on.

Screen-Shot-2016-07-13-at-4.06.38-PM (1).jpg

This is the kind of dogged, relentless and timely research that is appreciated as a casual observer of the race who checks in occasionally at best. Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

Excuse me ... but does anyone really give a fuck about this leg now?

giphy.gif

Akzo has left the building....however seems to have left backup singers Red2 and Plastic stumbling around in the dark trying to find their way out.

unnamed (25).gif

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

sure do, it's been an epic one.

They are nursing them home now,  trying to get there in one piece. 

Not the same as sending it with a full fleet is it.

Edit: even Jacks posting pictures of naked women.

When I watch something for fun, I do not want people to die in the process, no one does because it changes things for everyone.

Finding it hard to stay interested in what points what boat gets after the loss of a crew member makes me think about the bigger picture.  Unfortunately it must be x1000 for the participants, but for them it's a job.

This isn't a war where we need to get over it and fight on.  This is just sailing.  If I choose to let it change my view of the series I fucking will.  It all looks a bit more trivial now.

31 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Akzo has left the building....however seems to have left backup singers Red2 and Plastic stumbling around in the dark trying to find their way out.

unnamed (25).gif

At least they have a strangle hold on a podium spot. Dee and Xabi's lot will be eating Vegemite on toilet paper by Friday.

Meanwhile Scally is slowly getting there.

If ever there was a boat that needed a beer and pizza drop..........

scally.JPG

• Like 4

Vestas done a 180

As we just love speculation here;

-Bad fuel and down to last few spare filters.

-Bad beer.

-Forgot the extra propane 

-Seasick.

-Mutiny.

-Tony Mutter left his teady bear at the pub.

-They forgot Tony Mutter.

-All of the above.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, random said:

When I watch something for fun, I do not want people to die in the process, no one does because it changes things for everyone.

Finding it hard to stay interested in what points what boat gets after the loss of a crew member makes me think about the bigger picture.  Unfortunately it must be x1000 for the participants, but for them it's a job.

This isn't a war where we need to get over it and fight on.  This is just sailing.  If I choose to let it change my view of the series I fucking will.  It all looks a bit more trivial now.

I see your game, and occasionally almost agree with you, the one thing that you keep not getting is the acknowledgment of risk by the participants. Even the greatest of the greats who climb mountains and spend 10 months a year above 10 thousand feet eventually buy it. No matter what you argue, pledging to do a southern ocean race should include the acknowledgment of ones potential demise.

At least the Chinese space station crashed into the Pacific without hitting anything. I thought it was odds on to take out Vestas as their bad luck vortex was bound to suck out in!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, fufkin said:

Even the greatest of the greats who climb mountains and spend 10 months a year above 10 thousand feet eventually buy it.

Don't mention mountain stuff..the troll is deathly afraid of really steep boat ramps.

IMG_20180331_200622.jpg

9 minutes ago, fufkin said:

I see your game, and occasionally almost agree with you, the one thing that you keep not getting is the acknowledgment of risk by the participants. Even the greatest of the greats who climb mountains and spend 10 months a year above 10 thousand feet eventually buy it. No matter what you argue, pledging to do a southern ocean race should include the acknowledgment of ones potential demise.

I agree with what you said.  But I was not talking about them.  This is about my reaction to the events I have been watching for entertainment.  One of

those who 'click'.

So it's a double points leg is it?  I don't give a fuck who wins now.  I'm interested but not engaged in counting points

28 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

Whats Vestas doing, run out of beer already?

Capture.JPG

Where is this information to be found?

• Like 1

Did they do a sneaky update to erase Vestas's little U turn??
If you compare this pic to the one I posted above Scally has moved and changed course!

scally new.JPG

52 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Vestas done a 180

As we just love speculation here;

-Bad fuel and down to last few spare filters.

-Bad beer.

-Forgot the extra propane 

-Seasick.

-Mutiny.

-Tony Mutter left his teady bear at the pub.

-They forgot Tony Mutter.

-All of the above.

Or a bilge full of diesel??

2 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Or a bilge full of diesel??

I wondered about that too.  Not that simple to convert a tank.

27 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Not any more, been redacted!

vestas.JPG

Looking more like a reality TV show all the time.  Lucky we have the screen shot #3525!  I wonder of they will deleted that post as well?

Maybe they are fucking about with the posts.  See failed post numbering.

numbers.jpeg.1923e9707601f773847b5bc6c338e162.jpeg

26 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Not any more, been redacted!

vestas.JPG

Creepy. Makes me feel uncomfortable. Hope, it's not too serious.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, random said:

5 minutes ago, random said:

Who are "they"?

4 minutes ago, bbl said:

Tracker collected by different boat?

So where is Vestas?

He's a Troll, we have him on ignore. Please don't quote him let alone double quoting......

• Like 2

3 hours ago, paps49 said:

T Top as well, they headed right into that shit.

Edit. At 900 UTC

into the high.JPG

They were held on Port tack yesterday (UTC) whilst they fixed the spreader issue, which forced them closer to the High Pressure than they wanted (as reported last night). Once fixed they were able to gybe onto Stbd, but I think they were too close by then and have ended up just sailing the breeze they have for best VMC.

• Like 2

secret-squirrel-pvc.jpg

So VOR don't want us to know where Vestas are?

Oh look over there, some boats are still sailing!

15 minutes ago, paps49 said:

He's a Troll, we have him on ignore. Please don't quote him let alone double quoting......

As you can see I´m quite new here but I will learn. 

• Like 1

Vestas: gearbox failure apparently. Truly is back in Stanley! 

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Just remind me, what make of gearbox is it?

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Chay you get the sleuthing prize of the month.

images (35).jpeg

Sometimes it pays to be a small town boy ;)

Was just thinking.. here I am on my boat , feet up, glass or red, in some strangely named sound in kiwi land. Using my phone to chat with mate fixing a boat on the other side of the world!!

• Like 8

Awsome stuff.  Two forms of propulsion failed.  Would it still pass the moose test?

Did these people really kill and albatross?

12 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

Just remind me, what make of gearbox is it?

VolvoPenta 130 saildrive made by an Italian manufactur, ZF

Edited by Saakk
spelling

13 minutes ago, Saakk said:

The same one I can buy down the road for a 30 footer and they expect it to survive 1500 nm  continuous duty on a 65 footer in the South Atlantic?

8 hours ago, Steve Clark said:

I'm pretty sure I would not want the gig of driving a sail free Volvo 65 3000 kilometers under power. The one part of the boat you know was never intended to be run continuously for 300 hours is the diesel and the sail drive. If it packs up, you are completely and totally shit outa luck and hoping someone will take you under tow before the freeze dry runs out.  Oooof. 

I hope they have plenty of the necessary fluids and check their levels frequently.

SHC

It’ll be a shit look for Volvo as a sponsor  if the engine can’t run for 300 hours!! 

Edit 

It’s a shit look 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

A place not exactly renoun for its hotel architecture either, or do IBIS run the local prison?

7491_ho_00_p_2048x1536.jpg

That’s pretty much a worldwide look for IBIS hotels. 

23 minutes ago, Saakk said:

7 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

The same one I can buy down the road for a 30 footer and they expect it to survive 1500 nm  continuous duty on a 65 footer in the South Atlantic?

Think you will find it is a 150 Saildrive which fine on a 75HP engine.

49 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Well that serves me right for my comment earlier! 

• Like 1

• Like 3

BOUWE BLOG #67

Bouwe Blog #67

Pushing hard
Currently having the tail of the last heavy weather sailing, does it ever end on this leg? The good news we have been eating the miles towards the finish quickly. The last 5 hours we averaged just under 24 knots!!! You think you will be making big gains, but NO, only 2 miles on Dongfeng, they are pushing as well hard for the oh so important difference of the 3 extra points to be gained by becoming 1st in this leg. You think we will have a healthy lead, but the bungee cord gets shorter again, actually not existing anymore, as the routing having Dongfeng and TeamBrunel finish within a minute. It will be a battle between the yellow and the red bus for the next 36 hours.

French temper
Yann, our OBR, has been battling all day long to get his burned media station up and running, cable and wires were laying everywhere in the boat. Feeling sorry for him, he can't do his job properly, as even a simple task like charging his computer takes forever. He thinks he makes a win, then realizes that the entire hull is wired as well, then going back to square one. It hasn't been his day, he nearly lost his belove drone, as soon he launched it he lost connection. Some French temper flared up, some good sounding French words made it happen for him, he someway somehow got his drone back, after it was a couple of kilometers away from the boat. 

One of us
The OBR's are not supposed to be crewmembers, but I can tell you he is one of us, all onboard are looking after Yann. Unfortunately, he will not be with us for the next leg, as he goes back to France to play with a real toy, the 100 ft foiling tri Gitana. He will probably only yawn when sailing onboard there doing our current speeds:-) "Dear Yann, already a big thank you from all of us at TeamBrunel for the splendid work you have delivered. It was a great pleasure to "sail" together on this epic leg."

• Like 3

• Like 2

1 hour ago, littlechay said:

Sometimes it pays to be a small town boy ;)

Was just thinking.. here I am on my boat , feet up, glass or red, in some strangely named sound in kiwi land. Using my phone to chat with mate fixing a boat on the other side of the world!!

this is just one of the reasons why these forums can be great :D

• Like 4

My bet is that race experts are not that accurate; This SE forecast usually speeds up close to the coast, on the hills in Balneario Camboriu and Itapema....

Probably crossing the line on 15 kt  from SE

Can check that on GFS

• Like 2

Charles mentions in the last DF vid (or last before last) that there is an extra point  for the quickest boat overall on the whole race (and that they now have a good chance to get it).

Didn't know about that one.

Go the Dong GO !

And @VOR put that damned tracker live now !

• Like 1

Incidentally Newbie alert! I am in awe of you folk who have brought this race alive for me. You know who you are! (And you know who are not....)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Charles mentions in the last DF vid (or last before last) that there is an extra point  for the quickest boat overall on the whole race (and that they now have a good chance to get it).

Didn't know about that one.

Go the Dong GO !

And @VOR put that damned tracker live now !

image.thumb.png.eeb65318edd148223f9546273bab89c3.png

The current standing is Dong ahead of Mapfre by 4 mn 31 seconds (numbers in columns are time racing in seconds !)

Brunel in third place is somewhat 24 hours behind Dong & Mapfre. 

• Like 3

Thanks all for the wonderful content here, and especially the local knowledge. 

Looks like we are in for some interesting duels for first and fourth places. 

Also, go DF and TTOP!!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

For a Volvo?  Generally yes. 

You would have to haul the boat to get the saildrive out, the gearbox,is in the top of the saildrive unit.

also means moving the engine forward about 6”

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BozoC said:

image.thumb.png.eeb65318edd148223f9546273bab89c3.png

The current standing is Dong ahead of Mapfre by 4 mn 31 seconds (numbers in columns are time racing in seconds !)

Brunel in third place is somewhat 24 hours behind Dong & Mapfre. 

Another extra point for the winner of the in-port races. MAPFRE currently leading those standings by 3 points over df. 

1 minute ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Another extra point for the winner of the in-port races. MAPFRE currently leading those standings by 3 points over df. 

1 minute ago, WLIS Jibing said:

In-port race points are only used if two boats have the same number of points overall at the end. It's not used to allocate more points for the overall standing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

In-ports just a tie-breaker, no?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Think you will find it is a 150 Saildrive which fine on a 75HP engine.

But maybe not on this occasion. 

Could potentially be getting tight on time if this carries on. 

13 minutes ago, boomer said:

Pretty small fasteners considering the water pressure it might see. 

• Like 1