southerncross

VOR Leg 7 Auckland to Itajai

5 minutes ago, Zander said:

Brumel closed out Dongfeng's leverage quite nicely there. Curious if and when Dongfeng goes on an all out offensive.

Great post to up-vote ratio Zan, amazing.  You must have lots of friends here,

sniff sniff ... I smell damp wool ... sockish even.

• Downvote 1

It looks like our gladiators are ahead of schedule again. With average speeds of 20 knots, and more in the last our, they should arrive at the soft spot in about 3 hours from now. That's 12.00 UTC, or 09.00 local time.

According to Predictwind, that soft patch is still very small that early in the day, so expect a drift match quite close to the finish.

Just make sure you're gone be there, in time, it should be another epic finish !

• Like 2

I smell more damp wool and I have just discovered all this lint in my navel. 

• Downvote 1

On 27/03/2018 at 8:17 PM, Joakim said:

I understand conditions are very difficult, but what part of what I said is known to fail there? Driving the boat close is very difficult, but with the skills they have they should have been able to do it within the several hours they tried. If they had AIS MOB reception to guide them accurately towards the MOB.

I just watched the Akzo update. Never seen veins in the head before not pretty..........look like my legs. The leak could be interesting............

You can say that again Fiji the last 5 miles will be painful.

• Like 1

Sorry guys can't be out there, too early and a lot of shit at the office 

• Like 1

The Dong seems to be running out of racetrack and Brunel is extending.  Sorry SS.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Sorry to say it Shang but it is starting to look like the Fat Lady don't sing no Mandarin.

But she still may have to give it a go.

When yellow hits the pond the orange hordes will be upon them.

No mention of the Volvo racing village etc. was this cancelled due to Scallywag incident or is this just a lower key stop off than the rest? 

19 minutes ago, DtM said:

The Dong seems to be running out of racetrack and Brunel is extending.  Sorry SS.

I doubt Bouwe Bekking shares your confidence. 34 miles is a long time to hold your breath, especially if you are the boat that will hit any light patches first.

For now, the team has reached their destination and will reside in Chile, as the team debriefs and discuss about the future plans of what will happen.

• Like 2

Windy isn't tracking the boats for shit but maybe they can still do weather. This is about 1 1/2 hours from now, the marker is 15 miles.

finish.JPG

25 minutes ago, southerncross said:

That is one unusual bloke.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, paps49 said:

That is one unusual bloke.

After beer en burgers a medical check up wouldn’t hurt.

Bruno Dubois: "There is a minimum of decency to have"

The manager of Dongfeng Race Team was shocked by Brian Hancock's free booth, published by Sailing Anarchy and taken over by Voilesetvoiliers.com after the disappearance of John Fisher, team-mate of Team Sun Hung Kai-Scallywag at the end of March. We wanted to allow him to express himself. In response, he gives us his precise lighting, his vision and looks back on the current rigging damage, before flying to Itajai in Brazil, where the winner of the 7th stage will arrive this Tuesday. A victory that will be played between Dongfeng Race Team and Team Brunel.

Posted on: 03/04/2018 - 00:01

by Didier Ravon

b3fe5fcd32c025c7734f8f32b4c6931b.jpg

Bruno Dubois, currently managing director of Dongfeng, raced around the world as skipper in 1989-1990.Photo @ Eloi Stichelbaut / Dongfeng Race Team

Brian Hancock's free stand

"I was not really surprised to read this aggressive free forum. This is the trademark of the American newsletter Sailing Anarchy (for which it was written, ed), and the way they attract customers ... But there is a minimum of decency to have. There is still a sailor who died, and Brian Hancock adds to put this tragedy on the back of the Volvo Ocean Race. This is not correct and does not make sense. Moreover, he is badly informed and is totally wrong. He talks about boats that are not safe. He must be frustrated. It's true that the VO65s are tough, but do not forget that with the VO60s twenty-five years ago, it was already the fight between Chris Dickson and Laurie Smith for the one who had the best downwind in the breeze between 17 knots and 17.2 knots. The boats were already wet. Today, we hardly use the A3 and we navigate with the three combined jibs - masthead 0, J2 and J3. At 140 degrees from the wind you walk at over 30 knots, and when you hit a wave, the efforts are enormous and the boat underwater. It must also be remembered that during the Volvo 2012 on the VO70 and in this stage between Auckland and Itajai, boats likeAbu Dhabi or Camper - not to mention Groupama 4who had broken his mast - had to turn away because they were delaminating. There were already huge critics. Then, when the Volvo decided to launch the monotype VO65, the idea was that the boats arrive more or less at the same time, but do not delaminate ... It was also made a cockpit "test" in plywood at Multiplast, and everyone had decided to put a small deckhouse, not as prominent as that of an IMOCA, but which allowed to protect the sailors. Finally, it was designed with a deeper cockpit. The boat was stronger but certainly heavier, maybe not as safe as a VO70, but going almost as fast. "

The boats of the Volvo

"I'm not a fan of VO65, however, since the beginning. We must imagine something else for the future ... but we must not forget that when I played the Whitbread in 1989-1990 (he was skipper of Rucanor, a 57 feet Ribadeau-Dumas plan, ed), he There were three deaths. When I did the Mini Transat, some navigators went overboard. During the Vendée Globe 1996-1997, there was the capsizing of Dinelli, Dubois or Bullimore (and the disappearance of Gerry Roufs, Ed). The reaction of the whole world was to say "  these French are stupid to want to run around the world and we must forbid to go solo sailing in the South Seas! "Fortunately, we did not ban the Vendée Globe after capsizing! Fortunately we do not stop the Volvo Ocean Race, with a sponsor who has invested so much for so long. In short write such an open letter, I find it indecent! And if Hancock has played three Whitbread, it does not give him the right to go down the race as well. For me it's "bashing". The Volvo Ocean Race community is as welded as ever. Everyone thinks this is unacceptable. A user found an article from the same Hancock during the previous edition, saying that the monotype VO65 was an extraordinary boat because everyone arrived at the same time, and that by launching this monotype, Volvo had saved the race! "

The slogan: "Life at the Extreme"

"Nevertheless, even if it is true that these images of tons of water breaking on the bridge are sometimes scary and give an impression of" masochism ", if it is true that the race lasts a long time you should not lie, it's probably too much and it will probably have to change! But do not confuse security on board - because it has really progressed on the Volvo or the Vendée Globe, and benefits the boater then - and the hull design that is what it is. It dates from 2012. When you go shopping in TP 52, you change boats every year. In IMOCA, you can not imagine winning the Vendée Globe on a 2012 boat. You have to have a new boat. The Volvo Ocean Race is an Anglo-Saxon race, and has nothing to do with what can be done in France. It's a very long race. The competitors arrived in Melbourne tired of a very hard stage since Cape Town. We had to leave for Hong Kong after a short stop, in a round where there was no wind ... all that to go to China, because Volvo (the Volvo Ocean Race belongs to Volvo Cars, a Chinese company and AB Volvo Swedish-owned company manufacturing heavy goods vehicles) simply demands it. Then, the step towards Auckland is painful, and there, this one between New Zealand and Brazil is hyperdure. In addition, we arrive late at Horn. The "pilots charts" advise not to spend later than 1 because Volvo (the Volvo Ocean Race belongs to Volvo Cars, a Chinese company and AB Volvo, a Swedish company that manufactures heavy trucks, ed) simply requires it. Then, the step towards Auckland is painful, and there, this one between New Zealand and Brazil is hyperdure. In addition, we arrive late at Horn. The "pilots charts" advise not to spend later than 1 because Volvo (the Volvo Ocean Race belongs to Volvo Cars, a Chinese company and AB Volvo, a Swedish company that manufactures heavy trucks, ed) simply requires it. Then, the step towards Auckland is painful, and there, this one between New Zealand and Brazil is hyperdure. In addition, we arrive late at Horn. The "pilots charts" advise not to spend later than 1stApril, and the leaders crossed the South of South America on March 29 ... It's true that it's crazy! And if we arrive so late, it is because we will then go to the United States (Newport early May, ed) and that if we are there too early, there is no one in the village because it is still the end of the winter and we can have snow at this time. So, this is the whole configuration that we will have to revisit, in order to know if we should not go back to fundamentals, with fewer stops. At each, we find ourselves between all the general managers of the teams with the skippers and the staff of the Volvo Ocean Race, as we did at the last America's Cup. That's how the idea of having two classes come together in the next edition - the IMOCA and the VO65 - even if it's going to be confusing, but will probably bring in new sponsors, and new teams (a 100% Chinese crew, a crew under 30 ...). The VO65s are now paid, and until then were involved in the high cost of participating in the VOR. "

Crisis communication

"There are two ways to communicate. A first more Latin and which is a little ours where one says all or almost. And a second via Volvo, more institutional that pays great attention to what she can say or not say, knowing that it can fall back on it. As long as Volvo has no specific facts, it does not speak ... and besides it annoys me from time to time! But that's their way of working, and as the sponsor of the event, we have no other choice to align with them. "

The disappearance of John Fisher

"After losing a man, the crew continued to idle towards Chile, first in the breeze while experiencing this terrible psychological shock. It must not be simple. What happened was that "Fish" was at the back of the boat, hung like all shift crews, all ready for the steering wheel, behind the mainsail rail.The FR 0 (carrying sail) was hoisted but still rolled, and the listening back in the cockpit was a little defeated. And, to prevent it from going off the water, "Fish" came off the line of life and went to the front of the cockpit. When he returned, he should have hung up. Often in this type of maneuvering we get off the hook, we do the trick and then we hang up. At that time unfortunately, under the effect of a big wave, the helmsman lost control of the boat, the mainsail went through an uncontrolled Chinese jibe. And there, 50 centimeters lower than the boom, is an extended strap of a pulley where the listening passes and that you can take in the head during a jibe. What I could understand is that when the mainsail was over, the boat loose the keel rocked on the wrong side, "Fish" was hit by the pulley and was knocked out and then thrown over edge. It is true that he should have been attached to this passage, but he has no other alternative to come off to pass the mainsail rail. It's a set of unfortunate circumstances that lasts a hundredth of a second. It is true that it is their second man to the sea (the first one was recovered, ed) and the skipper David Witt will keep it long in mind. There are good crew on board. He has evolved since the beginning of the race. At first, he arrived a little "big mouth" saying he was going to show everyone how it works. He had problems with World Sailing in his comments about girls (gritty jokes during the passage of the equator, ed) and, after being aligned, made two great last steps. In pure speed, it is certain that their boat has a little more difficulty compared toMAPFRE , Dongfeng or AkzoNobel who had more time to train. "

The epidemic of damage to the masts

"It looks a little like what we had in the previous edition. The mast rail does not tear but delaminates on the back side of the mast. On AkzoNobel , it just took off. You must know that it is a hollow rail in which you can not put bolts ... as on most boats. It is glued and we can not screw because it's hollow! MAPFRE had this during this stage. As they tore their mainsail rail, they could no longer put carriages, and so they disconnected them and left the mainsail luffing free for 5 to 6 meters. And when you take up to 50 knots and therefore reef, the sail beats in all directions and ends up tearing (hence the technical stop MAPFREin Tierra del Fuego, ed). I had told Charles (Caudrelier the skipper of Dongfeng, ed) to make sure that Jack (Boutell) and Kevin (Escoffier) inspect the mast regularly. Past Cape Horn, I sent him a message so he would not forget. He said "  worry you  ! ". The guys were in the mast all the time ... That's how Turn The Tide on Plastic found that there was a problem with spreaders. It should be known that three days before the departure of Auckland, Southern Spars the manufacturer, has released five masts out of seven saying "  attention, we will reinforce the spreaders  ". Turn the Tide and Brunel had old poles already reinforced. As for the dismasting ofVestas (last Friday, the boat is still in the Malvinas Islands, ed) it was in a sea-breaker boat.Dongfeng was behind them and put a lot of pressure on them. I think they pushed more ... and that's where the trouble comes. It could have happened to anyone ... "

http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/course-regate/bruno-dubois-il-y-a-un-minimum-de-decence-a-avoir/

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, southerncross said:

The manager of Dongfeng Race Team was shocked by Brian Hancock's free booth, published by Sailing Anarchy and taken over by Voilesetvoiliers.com after the disappearance of John Fisher, team-mate of Team Sun Hung Kai-Scallywag at the end of March. We wanted to allow him to express himself. In response, he gives us his precise lighting, his vision and looks back on the current rigging damage, before flying to Itajai in Brazil, where the winner of the 7th stage will arrive this Tuesday. A victory that will be played between Dongfeng Race Team and Team Brunel.

by Didier Ravon

Bruno Dubois, currently managing director of Dongfeng, raced around the world as skipper in 1989-1990.Photo @ Eloi Stichelbaut / Dongfeng Race Team

"I was not really surprised to read this aggressive free forum. This is the trademark of the American newsletter Sailing Anarchy (for which it was written, ed), and the way they attract customers ... But there is a minimum of decency to have. There is still a sailor who died, and Brian Hancock adds to put this tragedy on the back of the Volvo Ocean Race. This is not correct and does not make sense.Moreover, he is badly informed and is totally wrong. He talks about boats that are not safe. He must be frustrated. It's true that the VO65s are tough, but do not forget that with the VO60s twenty-five years ago, it was already the fight between Chris Dickson and Laurie Smith for the one who had the best downwind in the breeze between 17 knots and 17.2 knots. The boats were already wet. Today, we hardly use the A3 and we navigate with the three combined jibs - masthead 0, J2 and J3. At 140 degrees from the wind you walk at over 30 knots, and when you hit a wave, the efforts are enormous and the boat underwater. It must also be remembered that during the Volvo 2012 on the VO70 and in this stage between Auckland and Itajai, boats likeAbu Dhabi or Camper - not to mention Groupama 4who had broken his mast - had to turn away because they were delaminating. There were already huge critics. Then, when the Volvo decided to launch the monotype VO65, the idea was that the boats arrive more or less at the same time, but do not delaminate ... It was also made a cockpit "test" in plywood at Multiplast, and everyone had decided to put a small deckhouse, not as prominent as that of an IMOCA, but which allowed to protect the sailors. Finally, it was designed with a deeper cockpit. The boat was stronger but certainly heavier, maybe not as safe as a VO70, but going almost as fast. "

The boats of the Volvo

"I'm not a fan of VO65, however, since the beginning. We must imagine something else for the future ... but we must not forget that when I played the Whitbread in 1989-1990 (he was skipper of Rucanor, a 57 feet Ribadeau-Dumas plan, ed), he There were three deaths. When I did the Mini Transat, some navigators went overboard. During the Vendée Globe 1996-1997, there was the capsizing of Dinelli, Dubois or Bullimore (and the disappearance of Gerry Roufs, Ed). The reaction of the whole world was to say "  these French are stupid to want to run around the world and we must forbid to go solo sailing in the South Seas! "Fortunately, we did not ban the Vendée Globe after capsizing! Fortunately we do not stop the Volvo Ocean Race, with a sponsor who has invested so much for so long. In short write such an open letter, I find it indecent! And if Hancock has played three Whitbread, it does not give him the right to go down the race as well. For me it's "bashing". The Volvo Ocean Race community is as welded as ever. Everyone thinks this is unacceptable. A user found an article from the same Hancock during the previous edition, saying that the monotype VO65 was an extraordinary boat because everyone arrived at the same time, and that by launching this monotype, Volvo had saved the race! "

"Nevertheless, even if it is true that these images of tons of water breaking on the bridge are sometimes scary and give an impression of" masochism ", if it is true that the race lasts a long time you should not lie, it's probably too much and it will probably have to change! But do not confuse security on board - because it has really progressed on the Volvo or the Vendée Globe, and benefits the boater then - and the hull design that is what it is. It dates from 2012. When you go shopping in TP 52, you change boats every year. In IMOCA, you can not imagine winning the Vendée Globe on a 2012 boat. You have to have a new boat. The Volvo Ocean Race is an Anglo-Saxon race, and has nothing to do with what can be done in France. It's a very long race. The competitors arrived in Melbourne tired of a very hard stage since Cape Town. We had to leave for Hong Kong after a short stop, in a round where there was no wind ... all that to go to China, because Volvo (the Volvo Ocean Race belongs to Volvo Cars, a Chinese company and AB Volvo Swedish-owned company manufacturing heavy goods vehicles) simply demands it. Then, the step towards Auckland is painful, and there, this one between New Zealand and Brazil is hyperdure. In addition, we arrive late at Horn. The "pilots charts" advise not to spend later than 1 because Volvo (the Volvo Ocean Race belongs to Volvo Cars, a Chinese company and AB Volvo, a Swedish company that manufactures heavy trucks, ed) simply requires it. Then, the step towards Auckland is painful, and there, this one between New Zealand and Brazil is hyperdure. In addition, we arrive late at Horn. The "pilots charts" advise not to spend later than 1 because Volvo (the Volvo Ocean Race belongs to Volvo Cars, a Chinese company and AB Volvo, a Swedish company that manufactures heavy trucks, ed) simply requires it. Then, the step towards Auckland is painful, and there, this one between New Zealand and Brazil is hyperdure. In addition, we arrive late at Horn. The "pilots charts" advise not to spend later than 1stApril, and the leaders crossed the South of South America on March 29 ... It's true that it's crazy! And if we arrive so late, it is because we will then go to the United States (Newport early May, ed) and that if we are there too early, there is no one in the village because it is still the end of the winter and we can have snow at this time. So, this is the whole configuration that we will have to revisit, in order to know if we should not go back to fundamentals, with fewer stops. At each, we find ourselves between all the general managers of the teams with the skippers and the staff of the Volvo Ocean Race, as we did at the last America's Cup. That's how the idea of having two classes come together in the next edition - the IMOCA and the VO65 - even if it's going to be confusing, but will probably bring in new sponsors, and new teams (a 100% Chinese crew, a crew under 30 ...). The VO65s are now paid, and until then were involved in the high cost of participating in the VOR. "

Crisis communication

"There are two ways to communicate. A first more Latin and which is a little ours where one says all or almost. And a second via Volvo, more institutional that pays great attention to what she can say or not say, knowing that it can fall back on it. As long as Volvo has no specific facts, it does not speak ... and besides it annoys me from time to time! But that's their way of working, and as the sponsor of the event, we have no other choice to align with them. "

"After losing a man, the crew continued to idle towards Chile, first in the breeze while experiencing this terrible psychological shock. It must not be simple. What happened was that "Fish" was at the back of the boat, hung like all shift crews, all ready for the steering wheel, behind the mainsail rail.The FR 0 (carrying sail) was hoisted but still rolled, and the listening back in the cockpit was a little defeated. And, to prevent it from going off the water, "Fish" came off the line of life and went to the front of the cockpit. When he returned, he should have hung up. Often in this type of maneuvering we get off the hook, we do the trick and then we hang up. At that time unfortunately, under the effect of a big wave, the helmsman lost control of the boat, the mainsail went through an uncontrolled Chinese jibe. And there, 50 centimeters lower than the boom, is an extended strap of a pulley where the listening passes and that you can take in the head during a jibe. What I could understand is that when the mainsail was over, the boat loose the keel rocked on the wrong side, "Fish" was hit by the pulley and was knocked out and then thrown over edge. It is true that he should have been attached to this passage, but he has no other alternative to come off to pass the mainsail rail. It's a set of unfortunate circumstances that lasts a hundredth of a second. It is true that it is their second man to the sea (the first one was recovered, ed) and the skipper David Witt will keep it long in mind. There are good crew on board. He has evolved since the beginning of the race. At first, he arrived a little "big mouth" saying he was going to show everyone how it works. He had problems with World Sailing in his comments about girls (gritty jokes during the passage of the equator, ed) and, after being aligned, made two great last steps. In pure speed, it is certain that their boat has a little more difficulty compared toMAPFRE , Dongfeng or AkzoNobel who had more time to train. "

"It looks a little like what we had in the previous edition. The mast rail does not tear but delaminates on the back side of the mast. On AkzoNobel , it just took off. You must know that it is a hollow rail in which you can not put bolts ... as on most boats. It is glued and we can not screw because it's hollow! MAPFRE had this during this stage. As they tore their mainsail rail, they could no longer put carriages, and so they disconnected them and left the mainsail luffing free for 5 to 6 meters. And when you take up to 50 knots and therefore reef, the sail beats in all directions and ends up tearing (hence the technical stop MAPFREin Tierra del Fuego, ed). I had told Charles (Caudrelier the skipper of Dongfeng, ed) to make sure that Jack (Boutell) and Kevin (Escoffier) inspect the mast regularly. Past Cape Horn, I sent him a message so he would not forget. He said "  worry you  ! ". The guys were in the mast all the time ... That's how Turn The Tide on Plastic found that there was a problem with spreaders. It should be known that three days before the departure of Auckland, Southern Spars the manufacturer, has released five masts out of seven saying "  attention, we will reinforce the spreaders  ". Turn the Tide and Brunel had old poles already reinforced. As for the dismasting ofVestas (last Friday, the boat is still in the Malvinas Islands, ed) it was in a sea-breaker boat.Dongfeng was behind them and put a lot of pressure on them. I think they pushed more ... and that's where the trouble comes. It could have happened to anyone ... "

http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/course-regate/bruno-dubois-il-y-a-un-minimum-de-decence-a-avoir/

Amen Bruno.

• Like 5

Dong gybed..Brunel to cover.

For those with dodgy trackers, DTF Brunel 21.6, time to wake up and polish your glasses. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Elisa said:

For those with dodgy trackers, DTF Brunel 21.6, time to wake up and polish your glasses. 

20.5 now

Any clues as to when live coverage starts?

And again they just soak down and slip away.

20 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Dong gybed..Brunel to cover.

Game on.

Good move by Da Feng, that little maneuver nullified some of their disadvantage.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Sorry to say it Shang but it is starting to look like the Fat Lady don't sing no Mandarin.

Indeed Jack (and DtM) the race track is running out but if the wind is going to go flakey close inshore playing the waiting game waiting for the other to fall in a hole might not be a bad strategy. I think Brunel may be about to win their first leg. Then as an East Wind follower a 3 day wait to see if TTOP can stay ahead of Mapfre.

I do expect so see some compression as they enter the lighter wind zone and also see some signs of a) Dongfeng getting a little more aggressive with their recent gybe coupled to an apparent nervousness with Brunel responding soon after - unbelievable, after 7,600 miles they are less than 10 minutes apart- oops DFRT gybed back and Brunel just responded - gap down to 2.5 miles

I picked a bad day to stop biting my nails

SS

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, paps49 said:

And again they just soak down and slip away.

Maybe we are seperated by a common language but on port tack and going left is "coming up" not "soaking down"?

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Maybe we are seperated by a common language but on port tack in a SW and going left is "coming up" note "soaking down"?

Must be Jack or maybe just the medication.

soaking down..JPG

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Maybe we are seperated by a common language but on port tack and going left is "coming up" not "soaking down"?

Pardon me for interrupting oh king of the forum but at the time Paps posted they were both on Stbd jybe and Brunel was soaking down with a knot less negative VMG, thus slipping away.

A thousand pardons for disturbing your Chi.

• Like 2

Inside 20 miles.

Well done Brunel!!

3 minutes ago, Andalay said:

Pardon me for interrupting oh king of the forum but at the time Paps posted they were both on Stbd jybe and Brunel was soaking down with a knot less negative VMG, thus slipping away.

A thousand pardons for disturbing your Chi.

Who asked you?

• Like 1

Here we go again, a brutal leg of an Ocean Race, with a finish in fickle conditions near land, where the best anchoring can be the deciding factor.
I wish they would reconsider that concept.
Oh well, carry on 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

9 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Must be Jack or maybe just the medication.

soaking down..JPG

Yes agree on that starboard gybe...it was the port one I referred to...I probably didn't refresh. Cheers.

4 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Who asked you?

No one, but thanks :D. I was just pointing out you had it right, at least as I saw it.

Who asks anyone around here?

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

by Didier Ravon

"I was not really surprised to read this aggressive free forum. This is the trademark of the American newsletter Sailing Anarchy (for which it was written, ed), and the way they attract customers ... But there is a minimum of decency to have. There is still a sailor who died, and Brian Hancock adds to put this tragedy on the back of the Volvo Ocean Race. This is not correct and does not make sense. Moreover, he is badly informed and is totally wrong. He talks about boats that are not safe. He must be frustrated. It's true that the VO65s are tough, but do not forget that with the VO60s twenty-five years ago, it was already the fight between Chris Dickson and Laurie Smith for the one who had the best downwind in the breeze between 17 knots and 17.2 knots. The boats were already wet. Today, we hardly use the A3 and we navigate with the three combined jibs - masthead 0, J2 and J3. At 140 degrees from the wind you walk at over 30 knots, and when you hit a wave, the efforts are enormous and the boat underwater. It must also be remembered that during the Volvo 2012 on the VO70 and in this stage between Auckland and Itajai, boats likeAbu Dhabi or Camper - not to mention Groupama 4who had broken his mast - had to turn away because they were delaminating. There were already huge critics. Then, when the Volvo decided to launch the monotype VO65, the idea was that the boats arrive more or less at the same time, but do not delaminate ... It was also made a cockpit "test" in plywood at Multiplast, and everyone had decided to put a small deckhouse, not as prominent as that of an IMOCA, but which allowed to protect the sailors. Finally, it was designed with a deeper cockpit. The boat was stronger but certainly heavier, maybe not as safe as a VO70, but going almost as fast. "

The boats of the Volvo

Crisis communication

Well said Mr Dubois.

• Like 1

Yes agree on that starboard gybe...it was the port one I referred to...I probably didn't refresh. Cheers.

I noticed that earlier too Jack. When Brunel's line came closer to Dongfeng, on port gybe, they were coming up to their line not soaking down.

At the start of the edition, I was pulling for Bouwe all the way. I mean, 8th time.

Difficult opening legs for them but now to conclude this brutal and wrenching leg, which did not let up around the Horn - just changed shape, in a match race to the line... wow.

Moxie apparent.

9 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Finicky fuckers aren't they.

Edit.

The "live" trackers that is.

9 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

Here we go again, a brutal leg of an Ocean Race, with a finish in fickle conditions near land, where the best anchoring can be the deciding factor.
Oh well, carry on 

so you suggest a mid ocean finish?  That'd go down well with sponsors ;-)

Just now, shanghaisailor said:

I don't think I suggested anything really, and mid-ocean doesn't sound practical.
But a little off-shore might be better.
Why would the sponsors care?
I don't see any large crowds gathered, and as have been said many times before, if you are sponsoring a VOR boat in order to get publicity to the general public, then you are probably not sane enough to care anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

That’s the problem with these people who like to point out problems with the current product:  they never offer a better, alternative solutions.

Just a bunch of Bitching and Moaning.

• Like 2

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Mapfre tries a Buffalo Girl on Vestas. Oh wait......

3 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

I don't think I suggested anything really, and mid-ocean doesn't sound practical.
But a little off-shore might be better.
Why would the sponsors care?
I don't see any large crowds gathered, and as have been said many times before, if you are sponsoring a VOR boat in order to get publicity to the general public, then you are probably not sane enough to care anyway.

Must be from all the squinting.

5 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Mapfre tries a Buffalo Girl on Vestas. Oh wait......

Must be from all the squinting.

You think they give em a tow? Long way back to offer some help...

But we know what you mean.

The gods have been kind an seems it will be light but not too fickle.

Looks like this one is over unless Brunel finds a hole.
Same down the track, TTOP should stay ahead Mapfre.

• Like 1

should be very soon with less than 9 miles to go

Niall said 13.30 UTC, but it could be a bit sooner, really.

Race Experts seem to be in a bit of a lockdown, no idea why.

Big moves on the water Brunel headed slightly more north with DF turning south. 1.8nm in it

12 minutes ago, boomer said:

Posted four hours ago by Brunel - We've got a message for the Chinese/French red Bus Dongfeng Race Team - 东风队, from an old friend!

A big smile for Thomas Rouxel!! former DF and good friend with Charles.

14 minutes ago, boomer said:

Posted four hours ago by Brunel - We've got a message for the Chinese/French red Bus Dongfeng Race Team - 东风队, from an old friend!

mmm, no lack of confidence. Me neither, just opened the Champagne, cheers Bouwe & Co !

1 hour ago, ModernViking said:

Oh well, carry on 

Viking I couldn't agree more with regard to tidal drains like Alicante for RTW racing but a finish close to shore is part of the deal. Landmass weather differences is just part of the rich tapestry of offshore racing.

• Like 3

I feel bad that Dong F are having to do this the hard way without a single bonus point, but I cant help myself, the man is on his 8th RTW race, has come 2nd twice.....GO BOUWE!

• Like 1

Outsch, at 12.25 both now going in different directions...7,1nm for the Yellows

Brunel now stuck at 3,4kn. The Dodgers are sailing 6.8kn. There is still hope for the Yellows

18 minutes ago, mad said:

should be very soon with less than 9 miles to go

Died out on finish line, its gonna be a lottery 

Oh no....Brunel falls into a hole.....DF heads up to avoid it.

Viking I couldn't agree more with regard to tidal drains like Alicante for RTW racing but a finish close to shore is part of the deal. Landmass weather differences is just part of the rich tapestry of offshore racing.

You might be right, but didn't you mean Lisbon instead of Alicante?

3 minutes ago, carlosgp5 said:

Are you out there? Come on, make some wind!

Ohne Titel.jpeg

6 minutes ago, carlosgp5 said:

6 minutes ago, carlosgp5 said:

And who here has never done a race where the finish line was set in what appeared to be a deliberate choice of a hole?

Derwent River anyone?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

You might be right, but didn't you mean Lisbon instead of Alicante?

Sorry meant the Lisbon drain.

• Like 1

7,800 miles Distance over Ground and it comes down to this!   Nailbiter

3 minutes ago, Andalay said:

And who here has never done a race where the finish line was set in what appeared to be a deliberate choice of a hole?

Derwent River anyone?

No mate, it is not a hole. 

I'm getting absolutely no work done watching this.:P

• Like 4