southerncross

VOR Leg 7 Auckland to Itajai

SC--wanted to check if the freeSquid routing might try an inland route. No luck: Great Circle site is unavailable while upgrading.

Anyway, sad averages in the latest sked for MAPF; more comic relief for Dee and crew. 

Team At position Instantaneous Average since last report
DTF DTL Gain/Loss 24h run Waypoint COG SOG VMG COG SOG VMG
Team AkzoNobel 84.8 nm 0.0 nm 0.0 nm 159.8 nm Das Cabecudas 23° 10.1 kts 5.2 kts 22° 9.9 kts 5.2 kts
Turn The Tide on Plastic 480.2 nm 395.4 nm 0.1 nm 196.4 nm Dos Ingleses 11° 11.0 kts 10.9 kts 10° 11.2 kts 11.1 kts
MAPFRE 678.4 nm 593.5 nm 0.0 nm 92.9 nm Dos Ingleses 48° 5.8 kts 4.8 kts 49° 5.9 kts 4.8 kts

34 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Thanks for the update. I did notice you've been on Facebook more than here. I recently purged my Facebook "friends" I'm down to 14 all of whom I've actually met and interacted with in person, strange as that may be...

You and JP are the only people I have never met in person. Looking forward to an opportunity to do so in the future. 

Thread drift over.

Back to the regular (?) program...

Yes I'm on FB during my first cup of coffee, and again a few times through the morning - if the right topic presents itself - and again late night before retiring. If that wretched, whining, angry failure of a leader Donnie Boy has done something particularly stupid, egregious or wrong - or the GOP does the same, I usually weight in. Other then that checking out what my children, relatives and few friends are up to.

I also purged my FB "friends" a few times in the last year or so. Primarily those who are willfully ignorant or anti - as in anti-immigrant, anti-minority, anti-poor, anti-women, anti-children, anti-gay, anti-education, anti-science, anti-technology, anti-environment, anti-fiscal solvency, anti-union, anti-free market, and anti-critical thinking'.

• Like 3

^^^
Blast from the past: In 2012, Abu Dhabi was shipped from Puerto Montt to Itajaí, whereas Camper rounded Cape Horn and was ranked 4th.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Scally will most likely use the Magellan Straight, no?  I wonder if there is an inland water way to the entrance to avoid too much open ocean so close to a lee shore.  

straitofmagellan.png?w=700

If you can’t round the horn, that’s still got to be high on anyone’s bucket list. I’d be there in a heartbeat for that trip. 

• Like 1

RAFAL ZIOBRO FROM POLAND CONQUERS THE STRAITS OF MAGELLAN

pc3felipe-pc3a9rez1.jpg

Swimmer from Krakow Poland just finished the swim accross the Straits of Magellan, Chile. The waters in this extreme part of the world were 4.5 deg C.(40.5 F.) His time was 1hr.19 min, covering the distance of 3.4 miles.  

https://waterworldswim.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/rafal-ziobro-from-poland-conquers-the-straits-of-magellan/

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, boomer said:

Yes I'm on FB during my first cup of coffee, and again a few times through the morning - if the right topic presents itself - and again late night before retiring. If that wretched, whining, angry failure of a leader Donnie Boy has done something particularly stupid, egregious or wrong - or the GOP does the same, I usually weight in. Other then that checking out what my children, relatives and few friends are up to.

I also purged my FB "friends" a few times in the last year or so. Primarily those who are willfully ignorant or anti - as in anti-immigrant, anti-minority, anti-poor, anti-women, anti-children, anti-gay, anti-education, anti-science, anti-technology, anti-environment, anti-fiscal solvency, anti-union, anti-free market, and anti-critical thinking'.

Brexit has caused an almost identical fallout for many in the UK, split friends and families apart, literally!!

I’ve learnt to keep my mouth shut at family occasions. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

^^^
Blast from the past: In 2012, Abu Dhabi was shipped from Puerto Montt to Itajaí, whereas Camper rounded Cape Horn and was ranked 4th.

You either googled that, or just showing off! :lol:

13 minutes ago, southerncross said:

The waters in this extreme part of the world were 4.5 deg C.(40.5 F.)

Image result for brrr cold gif

As cold as a shrimp. How do penguins do it?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mad said:

split friends and families apart, literally

It's like the world has turned into one big Sailing Anarchy Thread!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Scally will most likely use the Magellan Straight, no?  I wonder if there is an inland water way to the entrance to avoid too much open ocean so close to a lee shore.  

straitofmagellan.png?w=700

Sure there is. 1000s of miles of variations. Basically it would be south from PTO Montt inside Isla Chiloe, out and across Gulfo de Penas, back inside all the way down. Beautiful trip. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mad said:

You either googled that, or just showing off! :lol:

Bit of both :D
I was a Camper fan, so I could remember the Puerto Montt episode very well. I also knew that Abu was in PM, but I must admit that I had to look up how the black boat left.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Sure there is. 1000s of miles of variations. Basically it would be south from PTO Montt inside Isla Chiloe, out and across Gulfo de Penas, back inside all the way down. Beautiful trip. 

How do I find a boat for a passage through? Serious question. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mad said:

2394402821_25907f8b4c_z.jpg?zz=1

5 minutes ago, mad said:

Find a rich owner, then get paid for the trip.

Slightly more serious answer than SC  :)

4 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Been "born" on SAAC, and anticipated to get beaten to death here in the VOR forum for it. Hasn't happened, and I'm generally very happy about the more civilized, although cheeky tone hereabouts. Thanks for that!!! :wub:

I've made some good friends over there, and most of them cut down on posting, very much like me. The AC forum has degraded immensely, and there's no end in sight.

Hoggie did not deserve the spanking. I think, he was really miffed that VOR was silent about the most important incident of this leg (who are we to criticize him while we also do not let any opportunity pass to criticize VOR media?), and he maybe has not listened closely enough until the end of the "Live". We're all human, right? Hoggie is a good one.

Talking about degrading forums, here's my thread drift of the day (if you have lots of tiiiimmmeeee...):

Watched the AC forum self destruct and just walked away a long time ago, and just learnt not to get involved. 

It was a lesson in watching what trolls can do to wreck a discussion..... don’t really want to see VO threads go the same way. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mad said:

Here is one I did earlier. 

And a link to an article that my missus wrote about our cruise there http://www.bwi.org/bwicontest/files/2830-54daysofrain.pdf I used to work the charter boats so have done the southern part many times. 

There are a few ships that do cruised Puerto Montt to Puerto Williams or Ushuaia including a look at and if you are lucky at visit to the Horn and lighthouse. https://www.australis.com/site/en/

Otherwise there are various yachts but the Chileans have clamped down on a lot of the foreign operators lately so I don't know who is still running. 

inside passage.png

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, southerncross said:

2394402821_25907f8b4c_z.jpg?zz=1

Thanks. :lol:

Anymore details, what ship, country etc?

15 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Find a rich owner, then get paid for the trip.

Slightly more serious answer than SC  :)

That’s definitely an option a few years back, not really in the position to sign up for a crew contract just to do the passage unless it’s short term.  Buts it’s appealing all of a sudden. 

Must be a list a mile long for people wanting to sign up to that trip. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Here is one I did earlier. 

And a link to an article that my missus wrote about our cruise there http://www.bwi.org/bwicontest/files/2830-54daysofrain.pdf I used to work the charter boats so have done the southern part many times. 

Sweet

( I used the https://www.soundingsonline.com/features/54-days-of-rain-a-cruise-through-southern-chile web version to read that.)

Nice writer, and the cooking pot chimney repair was fun to read. Always something.

These accounts make the race so much more real and interesting--thanks again 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mad said:

Brexit has caused an almost identical fallout for many in the UK, split friends and families apart, literally!!

I purged "friends" mostly acquaintances from my old work and some old acquaintances from my childhood who are particularly extreme right wing - not like minded friends I hang with or old service buds, who for the most part are like minded.  When Reagan was decimating the middle class, the US getting involved in Afganistan and Iraq, I spoke up. However with many, particularly at work, I kept my yap shut, too - only discussing it with a few close friends and one of my brothers. I was surprised at work with the closet racists, who only "came out", because of their hatred for Obama. I thought we moved beyond that decades ago.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, mad said:

Thanks. :lol:

Anymore details, what ship, country etc?

According to our all knowledgeable administration, it's either from Wakanda or that nation in Southern Africa, Nambia.

• Like 1

Chay,  I see you have to stick you nose out for a little while to get around this 

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 1.48.09 PM.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mdeh said:

According to our all knowledgeable administration, it's either from Wakanda or that nation in Southern Africa, Nambia.

That "shithole" nation, I believe is the correct description.  

2 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Sadly, this is true. 

7 minutes ago, boomer said:

I purged "friends" mostly acquaintances from my old work and some old acquaintances from my childhood who are particularly extreme right wing - not like minded friends I hang with or old service buds, who for the most part are like minded.  When Reagan was decimating the middle class, the US getting involved in Afganistan and Iraq, I spoke up. However with many, particularly at work, I kept my yap shut, too - only discussing it with a few close friends and one of my brothers. I was surprised at work with the closet racists, who only "came out", because of their hatred for Obama. I thought we moved beyond that decades ago.

Again, identical. 

A disturbing amount of family, and friends I’d known for 10 years plus suddenly came out as extremely right wing. A couple of them are starting to spout Trump praise and seem to be consuming his defence story lately. 

• Like 3

For Vestas, will be an interesting tradeoff of sailing outside vs motorsailing inside and fuel capacity.  Are they doing the 1000 liter center tank mod also?

10 minutes ago, mdeh said:

:lol:

Just now, mad said:

suddenly came out as extremely right wing.

They've been muttering displeasures to themselves the whole time, upset about reverse colonialism.  Now there is a sense of retaking.  My PA contribution over.

• Like 1

Per southerncross' suggestion for Scallywag/Vestas delvery updates to be in this thread, here is a crosspost from Leg 8: FWIW, Scallywag's AIS is working and they can be found on MarineTraffic, moored in Puerto Montt, right beside a very capable-looking S/V Anne Margaretha. The Anne Margaretha is of Dutch registry, so perhaps Annemieke Bess is enjoying some conversation with them.

• Like 2

Hey Chay, 35ft is the cruising sweet spot but how does it feel down there.  Would you go bigger?

5 minutes ago, southerncross said:

They've been muttering displeasures to themselves the whole time, upset about reverse colonialism.  Now there is a sense of retaking.  My PA contribution over.

Mine too. 

Apologies for the thread drift. 

• Like 2

Isn't it wonderful with the world so divided that we here on the VOR thread can rise above it all and get along?  

73aO.gif

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, southerncross said:

http://www.pelagic.co.uk

Must be others.

I run the maintenance on the Pelagics. I'll be off to meet PA in Cape Town in June.

I don't think they are taking Chilean channels bookings at the moment though but that may change for next season.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Chay,  I see you have to stick you nose out for a little while to get around this 

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 1.48.09 PM.png

Yep. And it's a bastard. Not called the gulf of sorrows for nothing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Isn't it wonderful with the world so divided that we here on the VOR thread can rise above it all and get along?  

73aO.gif

It’s a rather strange mix of people:lol:

But it does give you a little bit of faith in humanity. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Hey Chay, 35ft is the cruising sweet spot but how does it feel down there.  Would you go bigger?

Yea I'd go bigger always but 35 remains affordable if slower.

Often in Chile there are days of waiting or just going out and motoring and for that longer waterline length and big motor are nice.

35 feet is easy to handle alone or as a couple for mooring etc., Economical on fuel. We carry 400L in a keel tank and 50 L in a day tank. For the trip up the channels we carried about 160L on deck too. Engine is Beta 28 that burns under 2L hour in easy conditions.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mad said:

That’s definitely an option a few years back, not really in the position to sign up for a crew contract just to do the passage unless it’s short term.  Buts it’s appealing all of a sudden. 

Must be a list a mile long for people wanting to sign up to that trip. 

Mad, the S/V Anne Margaretha might be the ride for you. And it is parked beside Scallywag right now. Hop on a plane, get two birds with one rock: make friends with Witty and get a tour down the passage.

https://annemargaretha.com/

• Like 2

Just now, mad said:

It’s a rather strange mix of people:lol:

But it does give you a little bit of faith in humanity. 

My swimming group is the same.  Professionals from all over the world.  Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Ireland, Japan, Jamaica including math professors, a screenwriter, popular singer, a few corporate and Wall Street types.  Eclectic like the VOR.

17 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I met a young Swedish couple in Hawaii who crossed the Atlantic to Brasil - spent a season in Uruguay then sailed south via Magellan and then north to Chile. The boat was no bigger than 28ft and they had decomissioned their diesel and were using an outboard :lol: They were planning to head towards Indonesia - probably going to transit thru Bali the last I heard.

Curious to see if Scally has drive problems like V 11.  Maybe they took a spare.

8 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I met a young Swedish couple in Hawaii who crossed the Atlantic to Brasil - spent a season in Uruguay then sailed south via Magellan and then north to Chile. The boat was no bigger than 28ft and they had decomissioned their diesel and were using an outboard :lol: They were planning to head towards Indonesia - probably going to transit thru Bali the last I heard.

http://www.intothewind.fr

An even smaller boat. Friends of ours but I like my heater and my engine among other comforts.... Heck I'm even going to add a roller furler up front! Getting old

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blitz said:

Curious to see if Scally has drive problems like V 11.  Maybe they took a spare.

Now that would be a huge PR fuckup for Volvo!

6 minutes ago, littlechay said:

http://www.intothewind.fr

An even smaller boat. Friends of ours but I like my heater and my engine among other comforts.... Heck I'm even going to add a roller furler up front! Getting old

Did anyone you know ever hear of Frank Guernsey?

http://archive.easyreadernews.com/archives/issuelist.php?ActualDate=2003-10-16

or come across a family cruising down there in a Finot Class 40?

http://anasaziracing.blogspot.com/

24 minutes ago, mad said:

Now that would be a huge PR fuckup for Volvo!

In the last few days, I have been pondering about this.. must mean I have too much time on my hands.  :D

Volvo, are renown for safety... or that is certainly the persona they try and project. And.. not unsuccessfully, I would have to say. So here is my somewhat serious question.

In view of this really tough leg , with both loss of life and equipment issues, added to the loss of life on a previous leg, is there some "bean counter" at Volvo saying ... "This is really not good for our image".  Could  they contemplate a time-out in Itajai, using a reason of improving safety?

7 minutes ago, mdeh said:

In the last few days, I have been pondering about this.. must mean I have too much time on my hands.  :D

Volvo, are renown for safety... or that is certainly the persona they try and project. And.. not unsuccessfully, I would have to say. So here is my somewhat serious question.

In view of this really tough leg , with both loss of life and equipment issues, added to the loss of life on a previous leg, is there some "bean counter" at Volvo saying ... "This is really not good for our image".  Could  they contemplate a time-out in Itajai, using a reason of improving safety?

No way, too many commitments to the other stop overs etc. And they’d need to compensate the teams etc to keep the crews on a retainer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mad said:

No way, too many commitments to the other stop overs etc. And they’d need to compensate the teams etc to keep the crews on a retainer.

17 minutes ago, mdeh said:

Safe ? Yes......but they are trying to shed the "Granny" image.

And emphasize

Rugged,....Tough....Swedish Luxury.....The vehicle bred in the Arctic circle

^ All I’m hearing is Yanmar Yanmar Yanmar where people were previously chanting Volvo Volvo Volvo.

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Did anyone you know ever hear of Frank Guernsey?

http://archive.easyreadernews.com/archives/issuelist.php?ActualDate=2003-10-16

or come across a family cruising down there in a Finot Class 40?

http://anasaziracing.blogspot.com/

The class 40 knob is a knob.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, littlechay said:

From a purely pedantic point, it’s an open 40. A class 40 is the new box design offshore 40. 

But you can be a knob in any boat saying that 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, littlechay said:

An obnoxious prick in other words. I do believe you, nice wife and kids though?

I’m sure there was a thread or two about this a while back. Even an article on the mythical front page I remember. 

9 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Shame.  Seemed interesting.  Crossed the SO with little kids in an "Open 40".  They've since sold the boat.  I see he has set ups shop down there.

JAMES BUWICK is a professional climber, sailor, & independent marine consultant with a vast foundation of experience in extreme environments. He has sailed 30,000 miles solo around the world, was an alpine mountain guide for 32 years (6000+ meter peaks), trained & worked search & rescue dogs (cadavers/explosives), did avalanche rescue & recovery, and developed handicap adaptive sports programs in Colorado and Norway.

1 minute ago, mad said:

I’m sure there was a thread or two about this a while back. Even an article on the mythical front page I remember. 

Occasionally.  Last one was when they broke their mast.  

4 hours ago, stief said:

Credit to  https://twitter.com/Martin_P for the sloth picture I posted previously and Race Blog for posting it.. 

From Jann Martel's Life of Pi: re sloths"...  They are said to be able to sniff and avoid decade branches, but Bullock reported that sloths fall to the ground clinging to decayed branches 'often'". My father frequently referred to my sister and me as "sloths" when were were pre-teenagers for our ability to sleep seemingly endlessly n weekends and during school vacations. That sloth-like description is even more apt given the time we and some neighbor kids were building a tree house in the woods behind our house. I was up kneeling on the platform were constructing, sawing on a piece of wood that I was needing on and of course when it was sawed through it, the saw and I came crashing to the ground.

4 hours ago, boomer said:

My adblocker has been giving this site fits, making it slow to load initially, then occasionally having hiccups. Thinking about going back to the original adblocker that I used forever. Only changed to this adblocker(Ultimate) because it was supposed to be better.  I like high speed and an instant result when I click on something, not having to wait for a couple of seconds or longer.

Also of note this latest version of SA or whatever server they're using, absolutely sucks, as did two or three versions before that - and had a lot to do with why I got off SA for quite a while. It's only been the VOR that caused me to return to SA, because no place delivers the latest skinny on the VOR like this forum. Other then taking pics and doing a few videos for Bob, haven't been on this site, since the R2AK and the previous VOR. 

Also after I retired, spending to much time here, when I should be out sailing or find some back roads to go cruise on. Then I got tired of sailing all the time, so now all I do is race other then an occasional cruise. Speaking of cruising, preparing for another sail up the inside this summer, taking an old service buddy who just retired. It's a rainy day today, so probably should go down and work on the boats - though I bet I could find some sunshine if I drove up to Port Townsend.

We've been spoiled by close finishes in this race - waiting for the van to make their way in, it felt a wee bit anticlimactic this morning compared to yesterday.

3 hours ago, boomer said:

Yes I'm on FB during my first cup of coffee, and again a few times through the morning - if the right topic presents itself - and again late night before retiring. If that wretched, whining, angry failure of a leader Donnie Boy has done something particularly stupid, egregious or wrong - or the GOP does the same...

I have had to stop reading or seeing any news esp involving Trump at the start of my day because it just ruins it and my sanity. I have gone cold turkey on the evening news programs on MSNBC etc. because it just depresses me further. I read the WaPost, NYT, WSJ, and a local paper daily but not until the end of the day. I trick myself into believing that his shenanigans, while deeply embarssing as harmful to millions of people throughout the world,  won't affect me because I live in Alaska and it is far away from DC, almost like another country, am not an illegal immigrant, a minority race, a Muslim, an LGBTQ, don't need an abortion, don't need Obamacare or Medicaid, and probably won't need to buy anything made of steel for awhile. Fortunately I don't have any friends who are anti any of that stuff or who voted for Trump, but I do have a couple of conservative family members and when we are together we have an unspoken agreement that we don't talk about politics, period. (In fact, though, he and the Rs have passed legislation that will negatively impact what matters the most to me in AK) I have what used to be good friends that are residents of New Zealand, born and raised, and live 1/2 the year there and half in the UK. I discovered when they were here last summer that they were pro Brexit and it was a shocking eye opener; revealed some pretty ugly parts of them I did not know. 

3 hours ago, mad said:

See above. 

3 hours ago, mad said:

If you can’t round the horn, that’s still got to be high on anyone’s bucket list. I’d be there in a heartbeat for that trip. 

Fabulous trip.

3 hours ago, southerncross said:

RAFAL ZIOBRO FROM POLAND CONQUERS THE STRAITS OF MAGELLAN

pc3felipe-pc3a9rez1.jpg

Swimmer from Krakow Poland just finished the swim accross the Straits of Magellan, Chile. The waters in this extreme part of the world were 4.5 deg C.(40.5 F.) His time was 1hr.19 min, covering the distance of 3.4 miles.  

https://waterworldswim.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/rafal-ziobro-from-poland-conquers-the-straits-of-magellan/

Those are only slightly warmer than those up here in SC AK. I can't believe that guy is not wearing a wet suit, or some form of skin covering.

Crap, I thought spring was on the way but, no, it is a blizzard out there with 6-20 inches predicted a little further down the road.

3 hours ago, littlechay said:

It is a beautiful trip.

2 hours ago, mdeh said:

2 hours ago, Left Shift said:

The most pathetic, and embarrassing aspect of Trump's "shithole nation" statement is he didn't even get the name of the country correct: he mushed together Zambia and Namibia to get Nambia, which of course doesn't exist.  (Both countries are fabulous for wildlife and Namibia for so many things).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Those are only slightly warmer than those up here in SC AK. I can't believe that guy is not wearing a wet suit, or some form of skin covering.

This one is closer to home.

Swim that broke Cold War ice curtain

By Simon WattsBBC World Service

In the summer of 1987, the American swimmer Lynne Cox braved the frigid waters of the Bering Strait to swim from the United States to the Soviet Union. Twenty-five years on, now aged 55, she recalls how her actions in the waning days of the Cold War eased international tensions.

"I wanted to open the border so we could become friends," says Cox. "The difficulty was that nobody believed it could happen."

Her route between Little Diomede Island, in the US state of Alaska, and Big Diomede Island, in the Soviet Union, was just 4.3km (2.7 miles) but it crossed the maritime border of two countries still locked in Cold War opposition, and the water was cold, very cold.

"There was this instant loss of breath," Cox recalls. "The cold was like a huge vampire pulling the heat from my body. I looked down at my fingers and they were totally grey, like the hands of a cadaver."

With the water temperature at 3.3C, the only way for Cox, then 30 years old, to survive was to keep moving.

_62069700_coxbering10h.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19149829

Word coming out of Brazil is that things there are going from bad to worse:

No one knows what the weather will be like tomorrow.

A major fire in downtown San Paulo but everyone just thought all the string bikinis must have melted at once.

People are turning up to funerals late or even not at all.

They turn on the TV and instead of their favorite topless news reader, all they get is a test pattern. 

The seventh parliamentarian this month went to jail yesterday for corruption, but everyone woke up thinking he is honest.

Coffee growers have no idea what the price of a skinny latte in New York is anymore.

Kids are turning up to school to find the teachers are on strike.

The National Soccer team lost a World Cup playoff but the Country is not in mourning.

Everyone who lives in a Favela now has to buy toilet paper.

The reason for this nationwide news blackout?  Seems very journalist from around the country is camped out in Itajai. Why??? .....Martine Grael is arriving in town late this evening on a puke colored leaky boat is why.

I hope she has done her hair.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:
7 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:
3 hours ago, mdeh said:

3 hours ago, Left Shift said:

The most pathetic, and embarrassing aspect of Trump's "shithole nation" statement is he didn't even get the name of the country correct: he mushed together Zambia and Namibia to get Nambia, which of course doesn't exist.  (Both countries are fabulous for wildlife and Namibia for so many things).

The most pathetic thing about Spanky McBonespurs is that he is not embarrassed at all.  He doesn't care if he is wrong.  He seems to view it as a proof of his importance that he can just make stuff up and get other people to react.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Best sign at a march, recently..... 

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 5.04.59 PM.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

An obnoxious prick in other words. I do believe you, nice wife and kids though?

Yes that about sums it up.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Yup. He left New Zealand bound for France with kids too small to even use a toilet. Got demasted because he's essentially a single hander and was pushing a schedule. Family rescued and relied on charity from Chileans. 

I looked back at my contacts and found the name of the couple I met in Hawaii. Maria on Sy Tua Lisa. 

22 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Martine Grael is arriving in town

martine%20e%20marco%20sul%20boma%20della

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Nice one. So it's not fake news that she never cut her hair since then.

6 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Yup. He left New Zealand bound for France with kids too small to even use a toilet. Got demasted because he's essentially a single hander and was pushing a schedule. Family rescued and relied on charity from Chileans. 

And charity from suppliers, that put me off, IIRC.

Nice pics by wife though.

Lightning quick. #teamAkzoNobel storming towards Itajai, Brazil on the final miles of #volvooceanrace Leg 7 from Auckland, New Zealand

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 5.44.37 PM.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, southerncross said:

Gladwell's Line: Time for a rethink

by Richard Gladwell, Sail-World.com/nz 4 Apr 12:14 AEST4 April 2018

With the issues that have occurred on Leg 7 there must be some re-consideration of starting the Auckland - Brazil leg so late in the season and heading into the Southern Ocean in the autumn, or early winter.

Looking back into Peter Blake's day, the 1981/82 race in which Ceramco New Zealand competed, the fleet left Auckland on Boxing Day for the Southern Ocean and South America.

The next race, the 1985/86 Whitbread RTWR, when Blake skippered Lion NZ, the third leg of the race started on February 15, rounding Cape Horn on March 5, 1985.

The last three races have left Auckland for the Southern Ocean over a month later on March 18. This year Team Brunel rounded the notorious landmark 12 days later - which speaks to the much faster passages made on the haul through the Southern Ocean.

The 2011/12 Volvo Ocean Race fleet also took a hammering. That was the last year of the Volvo 70, and only two of the fleet finished in Itajai, Brazil without having suspended racing or having to nurse damaged boats.

By all accounts, the weather this year was worse than the two previous editions.

The other issue is that the skills of the crews, along with improvements in gear and technology, have increased exponentially and they can now drive the boats harder and faster for sustained periods than before.

The change is underlined by the time from Auckland to the Horn, which in 1985/86 took Lion NZ 18 days. This year Team Brunel sailed the same course in just 12 days over arguably a longer distance - there was no Ice Gate in Blake's day and they sailed down to 58degrees South (and passed within a few metres of icebergs in 150 metres visibility).

It has become reasonably clear now that the crews can take as much or more punishment than the boats. That situation has the design and structure engineers searching for definitive answers as to where the limits really lie.

Add into the equation the fact that the boats are being sailed at consistently high speeds for sustained periods of time, and with the crews assisted by sophisticated weather routing.

But the real issue is when the crews make a mistake, and the boat wipes out - either with a nosedive, a broach or Chinese gybe, or all of the above, then the strain on rigs, and boats in general, is horrendous. It's also action stations/danger time for the crew on deck.

While safety factors can be built in, no-one really knows what the loads are and where the limits lie. All the crews know is that they are either still in one piece after wiping out, or they have sustained a major breakage, and their leg is probably over.

What is not understood by the armchair fans is that the gear can be strained in these sort of episodes, and then inexplicably lets go sometime further down the track.

In many ways, it is fortunate that the timing of the next race is now somewhat in limbo. Clearly, there needs to be a timeout to look at several factors - being the timing of the event; the length of the race which has grown from 27,000nm in Blake's day to 45,000nm in the current course; and the design and engineering on the boats. Safety and crew protection is now a significant factor needing to be reviewed, just as it was in the America’s Cup after the incidents in 2012/13.

Good sailing!

Richard Gladwell 
NZ Editor 

https://www.sail-world.com/news/203724/Gladwells-Line--Volvo-OR-rethink

Maybe this thread needs to secure VOR media accreditation for providing journalistic inspiration to those who do it for a living....

Chay as southern correspondent could then wear one of these to keep the sun off.

1522889459184-1532958190.jpg

43 minutes ago, southerncross said:

39 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Nice one. So it's not fake news that she never cut her hair since then.

.....and it would appear has never changed her boots.

• Like 1

Anyone subscribe to the Advertiser?  More to the Scally story here.

Volvo Ocean Race chief technical officer Nick Bice said the moment was bittersweet. “When (the crew) saw some of their family members on the dock it was quite emotional because they have been at sea for quite a long time,” Mr Bice told The Advertiser. “Once they actually hit the dock and saw some of their loved ones ...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au

40 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

And charity from suppliers, that put me off, IIRC.

Nice pics by wife though.

Well, as a guy who helped them out with a main and a bunch of rigging, I certainly did not mind.  Pay it forward and all that. I would hope that someone would do it for me if I ever found myself in need.  

I have no idea of others interactions with James, but mine have always been pleasant.

• Like 1

By the by, maybe we can ease off on the political postings in this thread.  I loathe Trump as much as anyone, but talking shit in here is only going to attract the shit lickers.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Maybe this thread needs to secure VOR media accreditation for providing journalistic inspiration to those who do it for a living....

Chay as southern correspondent could wear one of these to keep the sun off.

1522889459184-1532958190.jpg

The thing is though, it wasn't a "very gnarly" transit, as far as I can tell from all reports I've read. What am I missing here?

29 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Lightning quick. #teamAkzoNobel storming towards Itajai, Brazil on the final miles of #volvooceanrace Leg 7 from Auckland, New Zealand

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 5.44.37 PM.png

Wow. Great shot.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Anyone subscribe to the Advertiser?  More to the Scally story here.

Newspaper paywalls originally gave me the shits but realise now for quality journalism it is a must and indirectly that money ends up in the authors pocket. The problem is the amount of free news and opinion available now which is mostly crap or if any good, it has been lifted.

Adelaide is Biceys home town so I suspect more in that article than will be found anywhere else for the time being.

44 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

The thing is though, it wasn't a "very gnarly" transit, as far as I can tell from all reports I've read. What am I missing here?

Your dead right Sail and the answer is 'overall transit times" they are achieving in what is proven to be a pretty bullet proof machine, albeit down below is like being in the boot of a car that some fucker has stolen. 

They are day in day out sitting on speeds as fast as those these things can go. That is evidenced by their daily runs being regularly within 10% of the 24 hour record which occured in lots of pressure/better sea state. I don't recall the 70's or the 60's being able to do that day in day out.

Over that period the probability and number of wipeouts just keeps going up. Then throw in a fuckin icegate to force gybes where in reality there is nothing wrong with what's over the fence, for a reasonable distance anyway, simply magnifies the problem.

These guys and gals are getting so good at this now collectively that if you take your foot off the pedal just a fraction you are going out the back door. Bouwer by the way seems to have found both a quick and more crew/boat friendly setup than the others this leg.

They now need a new platform to suit the people driving them, not the other way round.

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

They now need a new platform to suit the people driving them, not the other way round.

Good points.  Jump in here.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/196387-next-vor-on-imocas/&tab=comments#comment-6171572

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Your dead right Sail and the answer is 'overall transit times" they are achieving in what is proven to be a pretty bullet proof machine, albeit down below is like being in the boot of a car that some fucker has stolen. 

They are day in day out sitting on speeds as fast as those these things can go. That is evidenced by their daily runs being regularly within 10% of the 24 hour record which occured in lots of pressure/better sea state. I don't recall the 70's or the 60's being able to do that day in day out.

Over that period the probability and number of wipeouts just keeps going up. Then throw in a fuckin icegate to force gybes where in reality there is nothing wrong with what's over the fence, for a reasonable distance anyway, simply magnifies the problem.

These guys and gals are getting so good at this now collectively that if you take your foot off the pedal just a fraction you are going out the back door.

Agree, Jack that a new boat is needed.

But why go 5' shorter? That's a step backwards in my opinion. In fact, maybe it's time to go to 70+' multi-hull and drive the beejeezus out of it, if it's going to be all about speed.

Personally, I'd love to see them back in 70' monos.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

Personally, I'd love to see them back in 70' monos

Me too.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Agree, Jack that a new boat is needed.

But why go 5' shorter? That's a step backwards in my opinion.

Dollars and driving crewed and SH RTW race boat evolution generally down the same road, but in different  lanes to widen public recognition of the sport and give it a future is my guess.

Have you got your thread drift hard hat on...the policeman and his trunchin are lurking.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Dollars and driving crewed and SH RTW race boat evolution generally down the same road, but in different  lanes to widen public recognition of the sport and give it a future is my guess.

Have you got your thread drift hat on...the policeman is lurking.

Fuck 'em.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bbl said:

^ All I’m hearing is Yanmar Yanmar Yanmar where people were previously chanting Volvo Volvo Volvo.

I hear Beta Beta Beta more than I hear Yanmar