southerncross

VOR Leg 7 Auckland to Itajai

8 minutes ago, southerncross said:

We'll see if Scally has any difficulties with their delivery.  A combination of motoring/sailing/motor sailing, they were able to jump right in.  I'm supposing they had to take extra fuel as well or plan to stop and refuel.  

Their delivery crew will sail as fast as the real crew, every minute they can. 

• Like 1

Interesting photo of the transom.  A lot to peruse. Diver just checking integrity?

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 9.29.05 AM.png

3 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Their delivery crew will sail as fast as the real crew, every minute they can. 

We're guessing they will take the Straight of Magellan and cut the corner on the Horn.  May be more motor sailing than sailing.  We'll see.

AIS updating every minute for Scally.

15 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Interesting photo of the transom.  A lot to peruse. Diver just checking integrity?

Trying to figure out where to mount the outboard bracket...;)

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Ren I ventured there during the last AC and tried to introduce some objectivity..that however went badly (...)
I'm afraid to go back to AC.

I feel with you, and the trolling made it so bad that I do not want to engage anymore. A good tread drift can be entertaining (oh, how much I love them!), but having trolls disturb all treads and drag them in their home-made mud is far from entertainment. Well, as I already wrote, most of the real life friends have left or almost left too.
Now I'm looking forward to Göteborg and Den Haag, hoping to meet some VOR Anarchists IRL, make new friends and see old ones again. This is the beauty of this forum here, and it worked on the AC level as well - at least before Bermuda.

Anyway, back on topic: 7 new videos added to the "Arrivals" playlist:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Ren I ventured there during the last AC and tried to introduce some objectivity..that however went badly as that just introduced every prick up my arse no matter what camp they were aligned to and initialy this cockhead called SailbyDate with his Kiwi hat firmly implanted got up me big time. What transpired was quite funny. Sail quickly decided I was OK to the extent he apoligised to me and then set about both watching my back and keeping me inline there to survive in that snakepit.

I don't know if you remember that Sail if you read this but I haven't...it was much appreciated.Actually thinking about that on-line relationship evolution is closer to real life than many appreciate. Humans only like hanging out with humans they like, or at the very least respect. Trolls don't understand that concept. 

Anyway I left a big poop on the AC porch there while watching the end of series Presser live by posting live that Grant Dalton was a useless unforgivable turd for not even acknowledging the opposition not withstanding the bad blood and that was consistent with me knowing the guy. That presser was quite bizzare btw. Anyway that invited a Kiwi deluge of hate which I have never gone back to read, I think it would take a year.

I'm afraid to go back to AC.

Ah well....you must have won me over eventually Jack, 'cause I remember thinking I'd probably enjoy having a beer or two with you someday.

You'd be paying though, right? :D

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

I feel with you, and the trolling made it so bad that I do not want to engage anymore. A good tread drift can be entertaining (oh, how much I love them!), but having trolls disturb all treads and drag them in their home-made mud is far from entertainment. Well, as I already wrote, most of the real life friends have left or almost left too.
Now I'm looking forward to Göteborg and Den Haag, hoping to meet some VOR Anarchists IRL, make new friends and see old ones again. 

I will for sure be in Göteborg one of the weekends :)

• Like 2

Support pouring in for Scally:

Brunel Sailing WOW! That's incredible, what a heart you guys have! We wish you all the best in getting the boat in Itajaí on time and finishing the race in style. That will be the biggest tribute to John imaginable! Go Scallywags!

Liza Michelle Witt Dave my brother. You are the strongest person I know. I know that you have been broken and will never be the same again. But your love of sailing and incredible mateship and loyalty to the Scallywags family shows what you and the scallywag team are made of. Finishing the Volvo race has been you and John's life time dream. Finishing honours John and his family.  
The scallywags are family. Life is so short lived. NEVER GIVE UP.

Dave Fisher Great News mr Witt made our day Dave and Anne Fisher

Ingeborg Vos-Takken The only answer we have to death: live!

Yani Lam You guys are role models of thousand and thousand of Hk families who don't dare to let their kids to go on water ... you guys are also role model for thousand and thousand of young sailors who may be juggling between dream and reality ! The story of Scallywag makes me once again feel like part of China!! ( funny enough though no crew on board are made in Hk ?) Anyways ! Thx ! Thx for carrying on and stay strong ! With tears and smile . From An ordinary Hk parent.

Sue Beenhakker-Wolton what a courage you all have to carry on. John will be proud of you and we will support you to the end in Den Hague where I hope to work as volunteer.

Tina Jenine Atkinson Looking forward to a future generation of HKG Scallywags- as we put together the legacy proposal you guys created. We can now carve in stone the mission statement for that legacy - Resilient, Committed, Brave - well done team. Can’t be easy.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, southerncross said:

What ever happened to the video about the helicopter and the Chilean Navy?  That was interesting.

Cheers VOR.

• Like 1

Oh my, that ETA of Mapfre :o Everybody on that boat needs to hold on to their ears. They’ll be bitten off by a team mate gone mad by hunger before you can start to say stop... :unsure:

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Oh my, that ETA of Mapfre :o Everybody on that boat needs to hold on to their ears. They’ll be bitten off by a team mate gone mad by hunger before you can start to say stop... :unsure:

I believe the OA still has the authority to call it over - esp if there's only one boat out in the water.

49 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I believe the OA still has the authority to call it over - esp if there's only one boat out in the water.

Yikes. That would be a harsh call in light of all the work MAPFRE put in, the lightening fast repairs it made to its sail and mast track, the light winds it has had to endure over the last few days, and now the food rationing it is doing, all just to complete this leg.  I hope they are allowed to finish and get well deserved points for this leg. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Yikes. That would be a harsh call in light of all the work MAPFRE put in, the lightening fast repairs it made to its sail and mast track, the light winds it has had to endure over the last few days, and now the food rationing it is doing, all just to complete this leg.  I hope they are allowed to finish and get well deserved points for this leg. 

MAPFRE wouldn't lose points - just get credited with the points it'll receive and get to motor home instead of drifting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

MAPFRE wouldn't lose points - just get credited with the points it'll receive and get to motor home instead of drifting.

Ahhh. Thanks for the clarification. That doesn’t sound so bad, actually. 

This leg has displayed what is so remarkable about the sport of offshore sailing and the sailing community at large, as well as the existence of just regular good people world wide. It has put on full display the closeness, despite competition, of teams when tragedy strikes such as with the death of John Fisher; the myriad skills required to race boats like these: mechanical, electrical, sail repair, etc.; the importance of team work and team cohesion; the apparent lack of fingerpointing amongst crew when things go wrong as a result of possible questionable decisions; the tough decisions a skipper or captain has to make that may not be popular with his crew (such as sailing conservatively to not put the crew or boat at risk, possibly giving up a place in the standings as a result); the upbeat attitudes, leadership and "cool heads" shown by skippers and boat captains in very stressful conditions;  the assistance provided by locals such as in Port Stanley; the info provided by Little Chay.

This thread it has shown the best of SA, with excellent and as up to the minute as possible actual factual information about the race (SC, JBC, Rennhauser, Stief); good dialogue amongst posters;the willingness to beat down wild speculation; the lack of mean spiritlessness (word?); boots on the ground (Little Chay again, and thanks to Fiji Bitter); insider info (NorBowGirl, Miffy); Jack at his finest; and many more. 

I certainly hope the race is not called before Mapre finishes, especially after all that they have gone through. That occurs up here during the Iditarod sled dog race when dog teams are way behind the rest of the teams, and it is controversial but probably less so than in the VOR as the Iditarod situation is largely done for safety (of the dogs and the mushers) reasons.  Even though SHKS and Vestas are retired, it does not seem fair that so long as they finish before the start of Leg 8, that they be allowed to finish  but Mapre's leg result nullified. 

Anyone know who is now crewing Scallywag? Vestas? I know Charlie and Mark are or were in Itajai but as for the rest of the crew...

• Like 10

so, ttop is about 190nm to the east of me right now.

hope them a nice ride to itajaí.

will make an effort to be there for the inport and the start of the 8th leg.

image.thumb.png.2f79ec4bf2c5343e2c8f65c5ed90dd21.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Anyone know who is now crewing Scallywag? Vestas? I know Charlie and Mark are or were in Itajai but as for the rest of the crew...

I only know a couple of those delivering Scallywag now, they are part of the 100footer crew.  

I doubt that any of the VOR race crew take part in this. 

I’m not sure why it all seems so secret - maybe their media people are too busy with other tasks, such as supporting the team and logistics. Or maybe they are not 100% sure what they can make and therefore hold back on the info. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Trovão said:

so, ttop is about 190nm to the east of me right now.

hope them a nice ride to itajaí.

will make an effort to be there for the inport and the start of the 8th leg.

Thanks--looking forward to your posts.. 

btw, is "Thunder" the name of your boat, or . . . ? (idle question)

4 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

I only know a couple of those delivering Scallywag now, they are part of the 100footer crew.  

I doubt that any of the VOR race crew take part in this. 

I’m not sure why it all seems so secret - maybe their media people are too busy with other tasks, such as supporting the team and logistics. Or maybe they are not 100% sure what they can make and therefore hold back on the info. 

To quote myself: Scallywag just posted some info on their Facebook :) 

picture and text of the delivery crew: 

The Scallywags aren’t just a sailing team... we are a family with strong bonds who are always there for each other and look after each other, they flew to the end of the Earth at a hour's notice. 

They’re the delivery team!

The 8 sailors, made up of some of the legends of the sea; Campbell Knox, Douglas Knox, Larry Jamerson, Matt Pearce, Peter Buckley, Peter Goldsworthy, Mary Fontes, and Willy Roberts, are leaving Puerto Montt, Chile, and are heading for the Straight of Magellan, then popping out in the Atlantic, and making a dash for Itajai.

Stay safe, everyone, and thank you for everything! We’ll see you soon.

More updates will follow when available.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

To quote myself: Scallywag just posted some info on their Facebook

The 8 sailors, made up of some of the legends of the sea; Campbell Knox, Douglas Knox, Larry Jamerson, Matt Pearce, Peter Buckley, Peter Goldsworthy, Mary Fontes, and Willy Roberts, are leaving Puerto Montt, Chile, and are heading for the Straight of Magellan, then popping out in the Atlantic, and making a dash for Itajai.

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 1.42.47 PM.png

• Like 6

4 hours ago, southerncross said:

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 9.11.47 AM.png

Old stuff from converting the tank I think. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Two more vids added to the Leg 7 playlist:

Hey , I tried the automatic translated subtitles on this one and it works ok ! (you have to click on the kind of rectangle icon first for subtitles, and then click on the parameters"(bearing icon) to select the target language.

• Like 1

Norbowgirl, any background details on the delivery crew?  I know Matt Pearce is a sailmaker/rigger/crew on Scally100.

Who is Mary Fontes and others?

^^ thank you guys and gals for posting the news and pics of Scallywag. It is a relief to read they aim to start in Itaja. Very pleased for the team :). Also the family of John and the Scallywag team seem to be in good contact and approve of the continuation of the campaign. It is such a tragedy but at least in all the grief there is also a lot of sincere harmony and friendship :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miffy said:

Unlikely. VOR did not add it to the leg specific SI like in leg 4.

4 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Norbowgirl, any background details on the delivery crew?  I know Matt Pearce is a sailmaker/rigger/crew on Scally100.

Who is Mary Fontes and others?

The guys I know are Larry Jamieson (typo in the article), and Dougs and Campbell Knox. They are brothers. Larry just crossed the Atlantic twice in a couple of months, delivered the Trimaran Beau Geste to Hong Kong after fixing the steering on it, did the China sea race and looked forward to some rest. Unbelievably sporty of him to take this job now. The brothers have sailed all their life and Dougs legendary Diner will reopen and feed them. Cam works full time for the team and also races and the pair of them does most of the deliveries. I’d trust them all with my life - and in fact I have done that once :) 

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, stief said:

Thanks--looking forward to your posts.. 

btw, is "Thunder" the name of your boat, or . . . ? (idle question)

thanks. Trovão (thunder in portuguese) is my sailing nickname, due to the tone of my voice (hint - my brother is a professional opera singer in germany. it's a family thing, the voice) and it will be my boat's name, as soon as i manage to change my current boatless status.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NORBowGirl said:

I’d trust them all with my life - and in fact I have done that once

Isn't it remarkable how they've all rallied around the Scally crew and Witty!? 

I'd say this speaks volumes about the man Witt is.  Don't think the outpouring of support would have been there if some of the comments (Handcock and others) about him were true. 

And understanding this and that he lost one of his best mates, it's testament to his character and resilience that he (and the crew) have opted to carry on.  Respect.   

• Like 7

4 hours ago, southerncross said:

We're guessing they will take the Straight of Magellan and cut the corner on the Horn.  May be more motor sailing than sailing.  We'll see.

AIS updating every minute for Scally.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:5163109

last update over 1.5hr ago. Shore based AIS reception down the coast and the inland waterways is patchy at best. May not see Skally again until they pass Punta Arenas 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

Saw that.  Too bad.

I've added them to "my fleet" so I should get an email when they pass close by a port, perhaps Punta Arenas..

• Like 1

Why wouldn't VOR add them to the Live Tracker?  Vestas waswhen they were in delivery mode.

14 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Pilly a one race pony for JC?

I hope not Jack... there a few opportunities down here as you know.... will he go elsewhere...? time will tell.

This has been discussed before but I find it unbelievable that boats are running out of food..... It just should not be that tight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NORBowGirl said:

The guys I know are Larry Jamieson (typo in the article), and Dougs and Campbell Knox. They are brothers. Larry just crossed the Atlantic twice in a couple of months, delivered the Trimaran Beau Geste to Hong Kong after fixing the steering on it, did the China sea race and looked forward to some rest. Unbelievably sporty of him to take this job now. The brothers have sailed all their life and Dougs legendary Diner will reopen and feed them. Cam works full time for the team and also races and the pair of them does most of the deliveries. I’d trust them all with my life - and in fact I have done that once :) 

Willy Roberts married into a shit load of money in HK more of an adventurer than a sailor, but very smart (PHD) and a hot wife......................

29 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

I find it unbelievable that boats are running out of food..... It just should not be that tight.

Agree. Thought Xabi wouldn't want to repeat the mistake (as mentioned before, but still funny/ admirable in some way ;) ).  He'll have rail stories to tell.

There are far too many stories to tell from this epic bucket list, but one stands out: the spectacular error they [Xabi and Iker] made in provisioning for the Barcelona double-handed round the world race. Sailing an older generation boat, they were very concerned that they would be a lot heavier, and decided to try to even it up by cutting back as much as possible on fuel and food.

“We went way too far. The food we had for both of us probably wouldn't be enough for one. The same with the gas. I had my last coffee in the Cook Strait in New Zealand. The guys [actually he called them something different, but this is a family show] in the shore team, they put aboard one sachet of coffee a day. In the Med for the first week, I was drinking five or six a day, then I realised there was only enough for one. The last hot drink we had was at Cape Horn.

We were so close to stopping to take on food, but we didn’t. I lost about 23kgs, Iker about the same. But there are many more good things than bad things involved in offshore sailing. People always talk about the cold, the lack of sleep, the storms, but it's not always like this.”

http://land-rover-bar.americascup.com/en/news/378_Insight-Xabier-Fernandez.html

• Like 1

LiveSailDie is liking the TBRU drone work. 

Drone Skills

Onboard Reporter Yann Riou gives us all a serious lesson in drone flying during Leg 7 of the Volvo Ocean Race.

This is epic.

Southern Ocean, 5 metre waves, 38 knots of wind. Amazing flying skills by Riou and a classic catch by Kyle Langford.

Time to get some butchers gloves, find a yacht, and start practicing these skills. If only I had an endless supply of drones…

https://livesaildie.com/drone-skills/

TBRU show these  boats sure don't drive like buses, trains, or dogs here. Epic indeed.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Isn't it remarkable how they've all rallied around the Scally crew and Witty!? 

I'd say this speaks volumes about the man Witt is.  Don't think the outpouring of support would have been there if some of the comments (Handcock and others) about him were true. 

And understanding this and that he lost one of his best mates, it's testament to his character and resilience that he (and the crew) have opted to carry on.  Respect.   

Dw has a large circle sailors around him from years of campaigning big boats in OZ... Many of these people would jump with no notice to do a delivery like this (who wouldn't) Australia has also cornered the market on 100ft supermaxis so not surprised there is people ready to take on that delivery.... 

They are all good sailors with a shit ton of experience.  Larry has worked for everyone and sailed on everything... Quiet and unassuming, he is a legend... Pearcey being shore crew knows the boat intimately... Goldy and Bucko are solid as.... as NBG says.... You could trust this lot with your life

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, stief said:

Southern Ocean, 5 metre waves, 38 knots of wind. Amazing flying skills by Riou and a classic catch by Kyle Langford.

Men playing with their toys.

Ugo on Mapfre also shot some cool vids, diving into the trough of a wave ahead of the boat, shooting up at the bow.

22 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

Many of these people would jump with no notice to do a delivery like this (who wouldn't)

Is that a nice way of saying it wasn't DW's endearing personality that got them to do it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

Ugo on Mapfre also shot some cool vids, diving into the trough of a wave ahead of the boat, shooting up at the bow.

The men were just playing with their little toy.  Boys (and a couple of girls) playing with their big toy - the yellow one. 

That deep reef/triple headsail rig really seems to work.  Reasonably dry boat and the bow lifted, especially in the last shot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

That deep reef/triple headsail rig really seems to work.  Reasonably dry boat and the bow lifted, especially in the last shot.

It's great video.  I like when the boat bucked up the back of a wave.  

8 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Has there been clarification about Azko's water ingress?  I'm not clear on exactly what was wrong, how bad it was, when it started, how big or frequent the bailing task was, whether or not there was ever risk of it getting much worse in a hurry, etc.

Francis has already answered the detail. Bailing was every 15 minutes.

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, southerncross said:

It's great video.  I like when the boat bucked up the back of a wave.  

Not sure the rig or anyone down below shares our enthusiasm for that handbrake.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, southerncross said:

This one? (time stamped, cred JBC's tags for the find)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Ah well....you must have won me over eventually Jack, 'cause I remember thinking I'd probably enjoy having a beer or two with you someday.

You'd be paying though, right? :D

Absolutely.

• Like 2

Just now, stief said:

The one? (time stamped, cred JBC's tags for the find)

Yeah, that's it.

30 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

......That deep reef/triple headsail rig really seems to work.  Reasonably dry boat and the bow lifted, especially in the last shot.

It is also a safety issue, the squaretop main can flick through past the runner in the case of an accidental gybe, saving a lot of stress on the rig and mainsail. And easier to gybe back again.....

Balance also, most of the sail area is pulling you downwind, not rounding you up...

30 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Is that a nice way of saying it wasn't DW's endearing personality that got them to do it?

A bit of both

Drift -

Rome Kirby Returns to Moth Worlds

Local sailor Rome Kirby is back in familiar waters for the 2018 Moth World Championship in Bermuda, which was held March 26-April 1. Kirby, who sailed in Bermuda with the Oracle Team USA America’s Cup team, recently raced with the 88-foot Rambler 88 in the Caribbean 600 and with Team Brunel for leg 4 of the Volvo Ocean Race. He finished fourth in the Bermuda Moth Nationals in the 29-boat fleet. Kirby lined up against many of his fellow America’s Cup sailors, including teammate Tom Slingsby. They took advantage of the knowledge they gained from multiple hours spent training and racing on the Great Sound 5.91x10.inpdfBermuda.

http://www.newportthisweek.com/news/2018-04-05/Around_Town/Rome_Kirby_Returns_to_Moth_Worlds.html

Practicing those foiling skills.

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Not sure the rig or anyone down below shared our enthusiasm for that handbrake.

The driver was doing a pretty good job of finding the low spots, but that particular hill didn't seem to have a way around it.  

3 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

It is also a safety issue, the squaretop main can flick through past the runner in the case of an accidental gybe, saving a lot of stress on the rig and mainsail. And easier to gybe back again.....

They seemed like the only boat running that set up, and they stretched out steadily.  Which means they had easier driving, fewer bow-plants or better top end planing speed.  The driver did seem like the helm was not loaded up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Left Shift said:

The driver was doing a pretty good job of finding the low spots, but that particular hill didn't seem to have a way around it.  

They seemed like the only boat running that set up, and they stretched out steadily.  Which means they had easier driving, fewer bow-plants or better top end planing speed.  The driver did seem like the helm was not loaded up.

The tracks seemed to show them sailing deeper then anyone else as well.

• Like 1

As much as I would like to see Dong win this edition, my heart goes out for Mapfre. This has got to be painful:

argh.thumb.jpg.c1c794c0fbad5f9fb5f666a8e79348fd.jpg

12 minutes ago, southerncross said:

The tracks seemed to show them sailing deeper then anyone else as well.

If you are less worried about an accidental gybe and it is easier to steer because of better balance, you can sail deeper?

And when all boats are pretty much at max SOG, deeper is better VMG in this case?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Varan said:

As much as I would like to see Dong win this edition, my heart goes out for Mapfre. This has got to be painful:

So true. Grinding pain. Hope the upcoming 6hr averages will mean this snapshot is past.

9 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

António Fontes's sister?

Mariana Lobato is actually her name and is António Fontes wife, much respect for her to step up and do this.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

If you are less worried about an accidental gybe and it is easier to steer because of better balance, you can sail deeper?

And when all boats are pretty much at max SOG, deeper is better VMG in this case?

Could be. Deeper was better but I don't think they ever become less worried about an accidental gybe.  

I'd have to check but maybe Brunel carried more headsail as a result.  Looks like it was the FRO and both J's whereas, for example, Mapfre in the video above carried one reef and no FRO.

6 minutes ago, Comsdown said:

Mariana Lobato is actually her name and is António Fontes wife, much respect for her to step up and do this.

What's her background?

I think the next Edition is ready for another all female crew.  

The All Stars.

Dee Cafari -Skipper

Libby Greenhalgh - Navigator

Liz Wardley - Boat Captain

Sophie Cizek - Bow

Annemeike Bes - Crew

Annie Lush - Crew

Marie Riou - Crew

Carolyn Brower - Crew

Abby Ehler - Watch

Elodie-Jane Mettraux - Crew

Martine Grael - Helm/Trimmer

Stacey Jackson - Crew

Tamara Echegoyen - Crew

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jethrow said:

Awww, C'mon, ya gotta have Stace (V11) in there, quiet achiever!

FIFY.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I think the next Edition is ready for another all female crew.  

The All Stars.

Dee Cafari -Skipper

Libby Greenhalgh - Navigator

Liz Wardley - Boat Captain

Sophie Cizek - Bow

Annemeike Bes - Crew

Annie Lush - Crew

Marie Riou - Crew

Carolyn Brower - Crew

Abby Ehler - Watch

Elodie-Jane Mettraux

Martine Grael - Helm/Trimmer

All were SCA apart from Marie Riou,Annemeike Bes and Martine Grael. 

Well, if you are looking for someone who can suffer grinding pain, brutal gybefests, doldrums agony, and would bring inside knowledge of  how to make a boat go fast, I'd pick Sophie's team mate, Tamara Echegoyen.  The next Liz?

(even if her idea of punishment is having to read English)

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Well, if you are looking for someone who can suffer grinding pain, brutal gybefests, doldrums agony, and would bring inside knowledge of  how to make a boat go fast, I'd pick Sophie's team mate, Tamara Echegoyen.  The next Liz?

(even if her idea of punishment is having to read English)

FIFY.  In any case, don't you think, after the experience they've all had with other teams and veterans, that they would be a pretty tough team?

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

FIFY.  In any case, don't you think, after the experience they've all had with other teams and veterans, that they would be a pretty tough team?

Agree. The good problem will be picking the alternates.

Still, gotta say we're only 1/2 way through this edition, and the old gender issues are, well,  . . .  old news. So, can't see a pressing need for an all-female team. 

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if  the team combination rules for gender will be irrelevant  next time. 

• Like 1

Just now, stief said:

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if  the team combination rules for gender will be irrelevant  next time. 

Yes.  The strength of this team would make it so.

Maybe they could have a couple newbie lads to slap around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stief said:

I would still be surprised... The rule is a winner... No need to mess with it imo

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Maybe they could have a couple newbie lads to slap around.

Brings up an Intersting comparison. Could an U-30 team be competitive? (irrespective of gender).