southerncross

VOR Leg 7 Auckland to Itajai

3 hours ago, southerncross said:

I think the next Edition is ready for another all female crew.  

I think the current formula for mixed teams has worked really well.   Thus while an all female boat would be good to see again, I don't see it as a priority.  The point of the rule was to better integrate female sailors in the elite level of the sport.. not segregate them.     I think it will be seen as a fantastic success and it has hopefully taught a lot of male sailors how great females sailors can be.     It's probably those male sailors, who are now more likely to give females a chance in other sailing events, that will do more to further the gender balance in the sport than any publicity from an all female boat.  

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

They're getting more experience by being part of the teams, I'd like to see more mixed teams next edition!

All the teams are mixed in this edition!!!! What the fuck are you taking about?

I think the really nice point about the list is not that you would be putting together another all women team, but that the list is a bona-fide all-star list. If you were charged with putting together a team with the serious intent of shooting for a win of the race next time around, nobody would bat an eyelid if you provided a hit list of potential crew-members that included anyone from that list. And they are not just the "crew-member" jobs. That you would be more than happy to have Libby navigating, Liz as boat captain, Sophie up at the pointy end, or indeed Dee running the show says a great deal about how successful the SCA campaign was, and how well the new rule has worked. Traditionally male roles within a male dominated sport are opened up, and opened up purely on merit.

And TTTOP is doing a great job feeding the next generation into the game. 

Which is why, more than anything else, I think the idea of the next race going ever shorter handed is a really desperately bad idea. The ability of a boat, including a top ranking team to carry and train new entrants to the VOR is critical. Dropping to a crew of 6 or worse will lead to teams focussing on only those that have done the race before. Next time it will work OK, as this race has fed the pipeline. But they are eating their seed corn. It has taken two rounds to get to this point, and it is still not fully developed or self sustaining. The race cannot afford to wreck things now.

• Like 8

The mixed teams look to me like a tremendous success and Francis just made some great points. Mixed crews make the race more interesting. Which seems glib but getting people to be interested in the racing at the result is what really matters. And mixed crews have more interesting people.

By the way whoever suggested that "Life at the Extreme" needed to change to "Relentless" as a race tag line is spot on. Several people including me have argued that the "extreme" angle has been somewhat blunted by IMOCAs and Gabart and company but the VOR really is more relentless than anything else and it really doesn't matter that it's a relatively not extremely fast one design in that context. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DtM said:

Why not Dee? She is doing a good job leading this team.  

Nothing against Sam who did a great job last time round the marble.

Because Dee is slow. Despite attracting sponsors like flies to rotten meat she has always under performed and always will. This is her best performance to date and she is still last. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, southerncross said:

Now with two laps.

Certainly helps the Magenta Project's argument. Should start knocking on doors now.

SS

24 minutes ago, DtM said:

All the teams are mixed in this edition!!!! What the fuck are you taking about?

A greater mix rather more mixed teams :)

15 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

I think the really nice point about the list is not that you would be putting together another all women team, but that the list is a bona-fide all-star list. If you were charged with putting together a team with the serious intent of shooting for a win of the race next time around, nobody would bat an eyelid if you provided a hit list of potential crew-members that included anyone from that list. And they are not just the "crew-member" jobs. That you would be more than happy to have Libby navigating, Liz as boat captain, Sophie up at the pointy end, or indeed Dee running the show says a great deal about how successful the SCA campaign was, and how well the new rule has worked. Traditionally male roles within a male dominated sport are opened up, and opened up purely on merit.

And TTTOP is doing a great job feeding the next generation into the game. 

Which is why, more than anything else, I think the idea of the next race going ever shorter handed is a really desperately bad idea. The ability of a boat, including a top ranking team to carry and train new entrants to the VOR is critical. Dropping to a crew of 6 or worse will lead to teams focussing on only those that have done the race before. Next time it will work OK, as this race has fed the pipeline. But they are eating their seed corn. It has taken two rounds to get to this point, and it is still not fully developed or self sustaining. The race cannot afford to wreck things now.

I agree to a point Frances but the whole point of smaller teams is all to do with budget. The smaller the budget the easier (theoretically) to get a sponsor (s) on board. It isn't just crew salary that is an issue, it is cost of flying them home at stopovers or flying their family to the stopover and so on and as we have seen over recent editions sponsors are clearly not queuing up at the gate.

6 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

I agree to a point Frances but the whole point of smaller teams is all to do with budget. The smaller the budget the easier (theoretically) to get a sponsor (s) on board. It isn't just crew salary that is an issue, it is cost of flying them home at stopovers or flying their family to the stopover and so on and as we have seen over recent editions sponsors are clearly not queuing up at the gate.

Yeah, I just don't get that sponsors wouldn't want to be a part of killing a Chinese fisherman,  a man lost overboard, dropping a mast and all those fun Boys/Girls Own Adventure scenarios. And all of it with miniscule if any mainstream coverage despite the amazing footage coming from the OBRs.

Whats not to like for a sensational ROI? 

1 minute ago, shanghaisailor said:

Given I'm not privy to the discussions with sponsors, I'll have to accept the point. I would love to see an example of a team budget - as indeed I suspect everyone here would be. It is a bit opaque to us understanding what the costs are. But, despite the value in dropping the costs, there is the danger that the VOR is engaged in a race to the bottom. If every new edition is primarily driven by a desire to reduce costs relative to the previous one, eventually it will drive itself out of business. In addition to my above points, I worry greatly that reduced crew numbers will push sustained crew performance and thus safety margins below a critical point. So much so that we will see a set of very bad outcomes. Outcomes that will threaten the race further. No sponsor wants to be associated with that.  

There must be a sensible minimum race capability. If it is the cost of flying the family members around the world that is the sticking point versus race sustainability and safety on board, I'm not convinced sanity is reigning. 

OTOH, maybe the idea is to move to a new boat with stored power and a ban on stacking. If you can imagine a boat where you can engage in a gybe fest down the ice limits without waking the off-watch crew for each gybe, perhaps it would be possible to make it work. Even then, a crew of 6 is going to place limits on how well emergencies can be handled. In determining any provisioning it is always the bad scenarios you have to account for, not the average. It is here that things go badly and even fatally wrong. Can a boat with say one already injured member be reasonably expected to cope with a MOB or some major failure in bad conditions? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Woods Rider said:

https://www.soundingsonline.com/voices/where-danger-lives

Thanks a lot for this very interesting analysis about the safety issue in VOR.
Its a pity (and a shame) for this SA forum that this point could not be discussed here so profoundly as in this article.

• Downvote 2

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

António Fontes's sister?

6 hours ago, Comsdown said:

Mariana Lobato is actually her name and is António Fontes wife, much respect for her to step up and do this.

I was close .

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, northsea junkie said:

Its a pity (and a shame) for this SA forum that this point could not be discussed here so profoundly as in this article.

It's worth discussion, sure. But not in this thread.

If you're so concerned about it, why don't you start a VOR safety culture thread?

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I was close .

Apart from the DNA thing, you were close, Jack. Well done. ;)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, northsea junkie said:

Fuck off you anoying decrepit useless cunt...you have nothing to offer here except a disrespectful and amateur viewpoint about Scallywag. Tell your pathetic story elsewhere along with Randumb.

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Woods Rider said:

Mario Vittone raises a question I pondered myself...

Read the story and it's absolutely spot-on.  Looks like he has been channeling me.

But if you want to talk about safety here this is what you get ...

28 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Fuck off you anoying decrepit useless cunt...you have nothing to offer here except a disrespectful and amateur viewpoint about Scallywag. Tell your pathetic story elsewhere along with Randumb.

Nice culture isn't it?

• Downvote 1

For those who did not click on the link above ...

"The loss of John Fisher was an accident. It was tragic, and perhaps the only way it could have been prevented was if he had chosen not to be a sailor. I don’t know. But I do know that when we are proudly shown professional sailors on the wide-open ocean who are barefoot, dressed in black and not wearing a stitch of safety gear, there is a safety culture problem in the overall organizational structure of the VOR. "

image.png.0e8718c08ce3404d98988819bc94f718.png

image.png.8e966a2cbb15b5f0886b190275f86138.png

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, random said:

But if you want to talk about safety here this is what you get ...

Yep..I'm in awe of your safety and sail plan setting experience.

5ac5f08574c2f_model0.jpg.1d03f2c72d9a508e0548b34bf96ade33.jpg

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

It would be interesting to get a realistic budget picture for a team. Just a basic cost breakdown no details.

Anyone?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, littlechay said:

Because Dee is slow. Despite attracting sponsors like flies to rotten meat she has always under performed and always will. This is her best performance to date and she is still last. 

Maybe winning isn't the only goal.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, paps49 said:

It would be interesting to get a realistic budget picture for a team. Just a basic cost breakdown no details.

Anyone?

dory.jpg

• Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, random said:

For those who did not click on the link above ...

"The loss of John Fisher was an accident. It was tragic, and perhaps the only way it could have been prevented was if he had chosen not to be a sailor. I don’t know. But I do know that when we are proudly shown professional sailors on the wide-open ocean who are barefoot, dressed in black and not wearing a stitch of safety gear, there is a safety culture problem in the overall organizational structure of the VOR. "

image.png.0e8718c08ce3404d98988819bc94f718.png

image.png.8e966a2cbb15b5f0886b190275f86138.png

I guess you must have missed this one.  Reposted for your convenience, just how I roll.

Nice work Jack.  Telling porkies again?  Got me on Ignore still I see?

• Downvote 1

Oh shit.  With more holes than a Swiss cheese out off Itajai, MAPFRE will be bobbing around for another week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paps49 said:

Maybe winning isn't the only goal.

It's a race. You only enter a race to win. One winner, no second no third.

If you are talking about the plastics thing. There are better ways to get headlines than doing this rather niche sport.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Wrong.

These days it's about brand exposure.  Winning only helps, it's not required.

Personally, I race to compete.  I like the competition and the challenge.  Winning is reward for doing it better than the other guys, that's all.

• Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, littlechay said:

If you are talking about the plastics thing. There are better ways to get headlines than doing this rather niche sport.

Well yeah that but there are a number of things. Dee gives sponsors good exposure which is the name of the game really. A great platform for giving youngsters a go. And competition, no good winning in a tiny fleet and everyone cant win?
But yes I agree, I too have a competitive streak ;) 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, random said:

Personally, I race to compete.  I like the competition and the challenge.  Winning is reward for doing it better than the other guys, that's all.

JFC - i actually agree with the troll on something

(sorry for the quote)

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

We are all in fuckin awe.

I'm in awe of your ability to have me on Ignore while still seeing my posts! 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Downvote 1

I don't think it is accurate to say that Dee, and by extension TTOP, is inherently slow and not competitive, respectively. There is no evidence to support the view that she and the team and their sponsors don't put a premium on winning.

At the same time, it was as stated goal at the outset that the team would consist of essentially equal numbers of men and women and that it would include a fair number of younger sailors. And it does. 

The message of clean oceans and less use of plastics is a very important one, particularly to its sponsors, and participating in this race is a prime way to send that message. Granted it is a niche sport, but the boat and the team and sponsors do take that message wherever it goes and have engaged many people at the port stops in meaningful dialogue including children, and that is a good way to send a message. Look at the Gun control movement going on right now in the US: it is being led by teenagers.

TTOP has been quite competitive in several legs. A bad decision and equipment problems has kept it from finishing higher in the standings the last two legs.  It is also likely that the team was not as effective as most of the others (although three of them are now far behind TTOP and and two have retired in this leg alone, and one has retired twice) because of the overall lack of experience with much of the crew, particularly in the Southern Ocean. Even after their second trip through it, though, the boat is in tact and without major damage, that which it did sustain was fixed by a very skilled Liz Wardley.

I recall it was not that many days ago that people on this thread were predicting a bad finish by Team Brunel in this (and prior)legs and indeed, TB was seriously underperforming. Ask Nob el was struggling.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, random said:

I'm in awe of your ability to have me on Ignore while still seeing my posts! 

maxresdefault.jpg

Are you really that much of a fucking idiot?

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

We are all in fuckin awe.

129f3fb4195eceb042dcf263d7128706 (1).jpg

sorry js - i forgot momentarily where i was

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Just returned from shopping, so sorry for the respons-time.

I do not at all object to your responses, jackey boy. Of course you may react  to my critical remarks with regard to big mouth Witty. As I also may place as many critical observations as I like, regardless where. Because that is what a anarchist forum is for.
As far as I know from the rules thers no ownership of threads for a small group of desk-sailors who only want to worship their sailing gods. 

To be honest, I do not take your response serious. Looking at your avatar, I see a helmed socalled pirat with a helmet and two anxious eyes behind thick glasses. I think you were bullied in your school time.

So...give me more of your frustation, It may help you therapeutically....

P.S. I'm a man so I have no cunt. Your reference cut's no wood.  But using this word , gives your respond a sexual load which for me is only laughing  but may for other readers be disturbing.

Stay in good mental health kiddo.

3 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Oh shit.  With more holes than a Swiss cheese out off Itajai, MAPFRE will be bobbing around for another week. 

Hi all,

Just under 600 nm to go - it is unbelievable how slow we are going and how difficult this HP [high pressure] is being to cross. Finally we see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel as we now have 10kn from the NE, which is a promising TWD.

It is being challenging for all of us to get to Itajaí, with all the stress gone, is hard to get the days pass but we have no other choice than keep sailing and get there ASAP.

We still need to see the big picture and realise that this leg could be much worse so we have to be happy of being in the fight for the race, I guess we will just need some rest and come back to Brazil with all new motivation.

Crew is happy enough, looking forward to get there but all in one piece so it is all good.

A bit of food rationing going on, nothing major but this is longer than we expected so we need to ration a bit.

Same with diesel - we are running the hydro generator which started working just now as we have been so slow. Now is giving us enough to get there with the diesel we have in the next 2 days.

Not much more from MAPFRE.

Best regards
Xabi

m116143_crop110015_800x800_proportional_

• Like 4

Morning all--pretty good work JS. Live coming up.

"Our apologies, the Daily Live will be delayed by 15 minutes today. Stay tuned at 1315 UTC for the update on #Leg7"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, northsea junkie said:

As I also may place as many critical observations as I like, regardless where. Because that is what a anarchist forum is for.
As far as I know from the rules thers no ownership of threads

w e a p o n s g r a d e a u t i s m

Anarchy doesn't mean no rules. It means no state enforcing the rules by force. Groups of people are still welcome to agree among themselves and rope off spaces for things, and you won't last long in an anarchist society without some social grace. This thread is for talking about Leg 8. If you want to spit bile in a widow's face you can go to the VOR MOB thread. If you want to fight me irl on the finer points of what anarchy means you can go to PA.

• Like 2

Pablo, Live:  "we are a strong crew", "we are also using the time for some training" "hydrogenerator works, so put the manual water maker away"

Fairly good news, considering.

• Like 3

Ah good. Part 2 of the Cape helo story.

Huh? The Light House staff remove their appendices before their tour . . .  thought that was an urban myth from the past, elsewhere. 

And Satellite uplink pic was a cool glimpse . . .

Thanks for the heads up commentary Stief.

This was a better Daily Live then I expected - Since the conclusion of this race, is like the turtle leading the rabbit in slow motion, even though the turtle is kicking ass.

• Like 5

And thanks for embedding it here, Boomer.

Aside: has anyone been  getting the spreadsheets? Nothing arrived here for the last 24 hrs. I've checked my subscriptions; still subscribed, and Race Experts show the spreadsheets are available.

Tough to check the tiny print in the averages (bottom right). Anyway, MAPF av COG 10.4 knots over the last 6 hours. A bit of relief.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, northsea junkie said:

Just returned from shopping, so sorry for the respons-time.

I do not at all object to your responses, jackey boy. Of course you may react  to my critical remarks with regard to big mouth Witty. As I also may place as many critical observations as I like, regardless where. Because that is what a anarchist forum is for.
As far as I know from the rules thers no ownership of threads for a small group of desk-sailors who only want to worship their sailing gods. 

To be honest, I do not take your response serious. Looking at your avatar, I see a helmed socalled pirat with a helmet and two anxious eyes behind thick glasses. I think you were bullied in your school time.

So...give me more of your frustation, It may help you therapeutically....

P.S. I'm a man so I have no cunt. Your reference cut's no wood.  But using this word , gives your respond a sexual load which for me is only laughing  but may for other readers be disturbing.

Stay in good mental health kiddo.

Where do you useless pricks come from??..it can't be earth.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, littlechay said:

So whilst trying not to take that personally, despite it seeming to be voiced that way, could you name a new sponsor directly linked to Dee since 2010?   Because I would love to think that sponsors were swarming...or even there.

Whilst Dee was well funded for the Vendee Globe (and many at the time said she did not deserve it) I would accept your argument that she could have performed better.  Given the field that year, I actually think 6th was a good result (yes, Sam had a magnificent VG), but I can tell you categorically that finding sponsorship has been a very long hard road, and has taken up more time and money than is probably sensible. 

As for best result so far, I assume you are including Round the World races as the only measure for that statement? In which case, I do not think you can say 'Dee is Slow' is the deciding factor in this VOR.  Sam leading SCA was significantly further back in most legs of the last VOR, but I do not think anyone would say that was her fault.

If you truly think everyone entering a race is in it to win overall then you must not be a fan of Conrad in the Vendee, or many of the other entrants, or indeed many of the Whitbread entrants in the past...or SCA for that matter.

I respect that you have a lot of knowledge that you bring to this forum, but we will have to disagree on your points here.  I am biased, but you are badly informed on this matter.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Marie Rou has stated she is never going this race again; think the SO was more than she expected. 

90% of all VOR crews say the same thing at some point in the race.  Same for decades.  Funnily enough, when the call comes, most answer it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, littlechay said:

Now that's some funny shit.

Not a big fan of Formula 1? You know - that weird little niche sport where teams spend > $100M/year to never have a chance to get close to the podium...

• Like 3

I believe there was a dumb American nascar movie with a joking character saying if you're not first you're last.

Must be an american thing. Whether the VG, VOR - while people all want to do well, finishing the journey in and of itself is an event and worthy. It might be a national psychology thing - but the TdF is the same way. It is a hard race, finishing isn't easy. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

from heaven....

Not news to anyone worth reading here that few people get to hoist the VOR trophy (or VG, or or or or . . . . ) on their first few tries.

Back to Potter's points. Thanks for the info. Potter. Lots to consider.

If sponsorship is her major challenge, and Dee's special talent is team development (my take so far), might China's desire to develop their talent be a likely path for Dee?

Ian Walker, Mike Sanderson, Charles Caudrelier (and Witty) have gone that route with some success.

Just wondering about info on that route for Dee.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, samc99us said:

What's the status on Vestas? I didn't see anything up thread either before you ask.

Was hoping for update too.

Still in Port Stanley 4 minutes ago according to https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-57.855/centery:-51.692/zoom:14 

Across from Brisbane Bill's Leau Commotion (MMSI:  503308300) too.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

90% of all VOR crews say the same thing at some point in the race.  Same for decades.  Funnily enough, when the call comes, most answer it.

Long time no see Clean - you took the words right out of my mouth. I seem to recall even Peter Blake said that - and not just after the 5th one either.

Also  your point about Not everyone expects to win. Of course everyone would like to win and tries to win but of course there is a 2nd and 3rd - has littlechay never heard of the podium?

1 hour ago, stief said:

Ah good. Part 2 of the Cape helo story.

Huh? The Light House staff remove their appendices before their tour . . .  thought that was an urban myth from the past, elsewhere. 

If you mean by elsewhere the VOR, then I can tell you that it is not an urban myth, just highly exaggerated by some journalists. Just like some other often repeated stories by that Andy Green bore, sometimes Niall, and some other screen writers too. That's where they thrive on.

I think I've already promised to tell the real story that I know is the truth, together with some other real facts maybe, but have not said when I will tell. That might very well be after this race, may be even in my next life. Sorry for that. 

Also, there may possibly be other boats and crews where indeed most crew had their appendices removed, but I doubt  it, and have never hear of it from the other crews either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fiji Bitter said:

I can tell you that it is not an urban myth

Got it. "Exaggerated" is better.  Bad phrasing on my part. Looking forward to that info.

50 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I believe there was a dumb American nascar movie with a joking character saying if you're not first you're last.

Must be an american thing. Whether the VG, VOR - while people all want to do well, finishing the journey in and of itself is an event and worthy. It might be a national psychology thing - but the TdF is the same way. It is a hard race, finishing isn't easy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Image result for troll farm

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, stief said:

Not news to anyone worth reading here that few people get to hoist the VOR trophy (or VG, or or or or . . . . ) on their first few tries.

Funny that you say that just now, after my previous post, because again it was Andy Green who lied about this in Auckland. He said something like 9 out of 10 of the two time winners were Kiwis. Very wrong cause I personally know two that are not Kiwis, and not only won two, but won it at their first try as well.

Now Stief, I you can dig that up, then I declare you the 1st place winner of the top historian/googler price of this forum, right now. 

16 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Funny that you say that just now, after my previous post, because again it was Andy Green who lied about this in Auckland. He said something like 9 out of 10 of the two time winners were Kiwis. Very wrong cause I personally know two that are not Kiwis, and not only won two, but won it at their first try as well.

Now Stief, I you can dig that up, then I declare you the 1st place winner of the top historian/googler price of this forum, right now. 

Funny you should say that when I was just thinking of asking the First Pelican the same question (after reading his post in the Hancock thread). 

Google is great, but  inadequate when there are so many who have the real histories here.  I'm not one of them.

now, if I can just patiently await you to fill in the gaps . . . .  :D (now that Josie has left you, and before the next one moves in)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Woods Rider said:

Mario Vittone raises a question I pondered myself...

I wouldn't pay much credence on an article about safety in ocean yacht racing published in what is essentially a motorboat magazine.

Having said that, the article has many flaws which a racing sailor shouldn't need explaining.

SS

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Long time no see Clean - you took the words right out of my mouth. I seem to recall even Peter Blake said that - and not just after the 5th one either.

I yearn to go back to my bunk, but better say this right now.

Firstly, Clean is a coward because he stayed away from this forum after kicking our beloved Herman off it. That was simply undeserved fucking censorship. Yes Clean, I bet that you don't even dare to defend that, since you are just like the VOR management, run and hide!

Secondly, Peter Blake simply had to do the race again because he lost the first 4, simple as that..., and good to him.

The truth "simply" hurts, sometimes. B)

3 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

after kicking our beloved Herman off it.

What was the story on that?  I can't imagine Herman saying anything to deserve being kicked off.

36 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Connie Van Reistchoten & Edgar Krockebakker both did both Flyers - there's 2 right away

SS

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

incl. 1 Nina :wub:

She's a keeper.  Lover her enthusiasm.  And then there's Burling ...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

What was the story on that?  I can't imagine Herman saying anything to deserve being kicked off.

There is no story on that yet. Herman, a highly respected financial consultant, has no clue himself.

It must have to do with Clean's buddy Mark Turner, who was said to be in Hongkong, by no other than Jack Sparrow. Herman picked up on that, and so did I. Herman was booted off, all his posts removed, and my posts removed too. Only Jack's post remained, because he is another Clean darling.

Altogether very sad, and it nearly made me leave SA, because it was not the first case of unjustified censorship for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fiji Bitter said:

There is no story on that yet. Herman, a highly respected financial consultant, has no clue himself.

It must have to do with Clean's buddy Mark Turner, who was said to be in Hongkong, by no other than Jack Sparrow. Herman picked up on that, and so did I. Herman was booted off, all his posts removed, and my posts removed too. Only Jack's post remained, because he is another Clean darling.

Altogether very sad, and it nearly made me leave SA, because it was not the first case of unjustified censorship for me.

Can't imagine that was the reason. I can state that Jack was mistaken. Mark was actually snowed in at home with his kids at the time. 

Jack showed a photo, but it was not MT in it. 

12 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Connie Van Reistchoten & Edgar Krockebakker both did both Flyers - there's 2 right away

SS

Very good Shang, and totally correct, except for the spelling. 

This is easily the longest sustained period of a Live Tracker.  So is cost really an issue?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Potter said:

Can't imagine that was the reason. I can state that Jack was mistaken. Mark was actually snowed in at home with his kids at the time. 

Jack showed a photo, but it was not MT in it. 

Hard to imagine indeed, but otherwise why were my posts about Turner removed as well ?

Did not know about Turner being snowed in. Clean made a brief statement that he was in France, with his wife. (possibly negotiating a Vendee/open 60 deal?).

Clean had better come clean about this, if he wants to be regarded as a true and faithful anarchist.

18 minutes ago, southerncross said:

That's odd.

Very odd indeed, and Herman also said he was missing SA, and is now posting on Twitter, as you know.

At the time I tried to PM Clean, but it said he does not accept private messages, also odd for an editor.  He probably was getting too much hate mail...   I reported it to the "moderators", asked for a clarification and to pass the message on to Clean. No response on that whatsoever, fuck them too.

And my boat SC, are you fishing? Just a biggish dinghy, ok?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

And my boat SC, are you fishing? Just a biggish dinghy, ok?

Always curious about other's rides, that's all.

Maybe Clean meant to only delete Herman's posts like he did with yours?  Maybe it put Turner in a pickle for some reason?  Who knows.

Say what you will about Clean but his exclusive on dock interviews and coverage of the VOR and Vendee were great.  An end of an era.

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Say what you will about Clean but his exclusive on dock interviews and coverage of the VOR and Vendee were great.  An end of an era.

Not aiming anything at Clean, and yes he did bring a much needed level of coverage to both events. 

Just now, mad said:

Not aiming anything at Clean, and yes he did bring a much needed level of coverage to both events. 

I meant the general comments on the site about Clean.

Conrad was absolutely right about Mapfre being at a disadvantage in the next Leg.  Very little time to put the muscle back on.  At least they're not going into cold weather. 

Maybe now is a good time to rotate some of the crew before the big double point Atlantic Leg.

• Like 1