southerncross

VOR Leg 7 Auckland to Itajai

Just now, NORBowGirl said:

I don’t want to go to the follow up thread, but my comment is that it would allow less crew and that’s a bit sad. Heck, I want MORE crew. 

I agree.  I prefer it too.  There will have to be some crossover.  Some very good benefits to it though which you can only see in the other thread ;)

15 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Thread drift.

Is the Itajai River always that filthy, shitty brown colour, or just during floods?

Good question. Especially after all the brouhaha posted about Rio being a toxic dump unsafe for the Olympic sailors.

edit. sorry for the drift, should have checked first. Topic dealt with here http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/166772-shitty-olympics-in-rio-de-janeiro-bring-the-toilet-paper-with-you/&do=findComment&comment=4997009.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

Thread drift.

Is the Itajai River always that filthy, shitty brown colour, or just during floods?

It's a muddy river.  Reminds me the ol' Mississippi.

4 minutes ago, southerncross said:

It's a muddy river.  Reminds me the ol' Mississippi.

Reminded me of Melbourne's, Yarra.

15 minutes ago, stief said:

Good question. Especially after all the brouhaha posted about Rio being a toxic dump unsafe for the Olympic sailors.

I don’t think toxic waste makes the water brown....this looks more like a regular muddy river. OTOH, Brazil is still a 3rd world country in many ways and the water might be...unclean. Poverty is the number one environmental problem. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Damian Foxall, the team's sustainability manager, is analyzing how these changes impact the team's sustainability goals. On top of tracking the daily activities throughout the race, he is also analyzing how the use of new materials and additional fuel impact the overall carbon footprint of the campaign. At the end of the race, Vestas 11th Hour Racing will offset their footprint through a coastal restoration project.

(up again and on the coffee, work to be done)

Well Damien, that is a is a really applaudable plan, and you don't need to look very far. 

Come to Fiji after this weekend, and see the devastation of the floods for yourself. The last week the rains have been absolutely relentless (no pun intended), even much further away from the cyclone than those towns in the videos below. And there is indeed another deep depression and possible cyclone on its way already.

The town of Ba in the video, is a nice but relative affluent town, with a big Nestle factory (no Nespresso though), and a good soccer team. No nearby Marina or good anchorage, but it looks like I could park my boat in the High Street. Nadi is perhaps the wealthiest town in Fiji, after the capital Suva, due to their proximity of the international airport and the big Denaraux marina and resort development. 

There are probably many other really poor countries that need it more than Fiji, but if you want to spend a little money, like US$ 500.000 or so, then my local Fijian friends in a small village here also need some proper flood infrastructure. 

RC or Stief already posted a link to the video below, but I repost because its exactly what 11th hour/Damien is talking about.

Here another one of Nadi, and there are many more on Youtube:   https://youtu.be/Rf706rYWP1M

• Like 4

Good to see TToP doing 11 kts with 68 to go.  I've been worried that they'd be becalmed enough for Mapfre to run right up to them.  I'm sure despite the gap that they won't rest easy until it's official.

7 hours ago, cremedelameme said:

w e a p o n s g r a d e a u t i s m

Anarchy doesn't mean no rules. It means no state enforcing the rules by force. Groups of people are still welcome to agree among themselves and rope off spaces for things, and you won't last long in an anarchist society without some social grace. This thread is for talking about Leg 8. If you want to spit bile in a widow's face you can go to the VOR MOB thread. If you want to fight me irl on the finer points of what anarchy means you can go to PA.

Equating commenting on the MOB with "spit bile in a widow's face " is disingenuous at best.

Expecting "social grace" here is deluded as is expecting that your directions on what should be posted where to be observed. 

But carry on, I'm interested in what other rules you are creating for SA, starting with the correct leg number would be an excellent start.

6 hours ago, Potter said:

So whilst trying not to take that personally, despite it seeming to be voiced that way, could you name a new sponsor directly linked to Dee since 2010?   Because I would love to think that sponsors were swarming...or even there.

Whilst Dee was well funded for the Vendee Globe (and many at the time said she did not deserve it) I would accept your argument that she could have performed better.  Given the field that year, I actually think 6th was a good result (yes, Sam had a magnificent VG), but I can tell you categorically that finding sponsorship has been a very long hard road, and has taken up more time and money than is probably sensible. 

As for best result so far, I assume you are including Round the World races as the only measure for that statement? In which case, I do not think you can say 'Dee is Slow' is the deciding factor in this VOR.  Sam leading SCA was significantly further back in most legs of the last VOR, but I do not think anyone would say that was her fault.

If you truly think everyone entering a race is in it to win overall then you must not be a fan of Conrad in the Vendee, or many of the other entrants, or indeed many of the Whitbread entrants in the past...or SCA for that matter.

I respect that you have a lot of knowledge that you bring to this forum, but we will have to disagree on your points here.  I am biased, but you are badly informed on this matter.

This very funny.

I have no idea who you are what your relationship ship with the lady is so how could I be aiming a personal jibe at you?

You are reading far to much into what i said. I never she had the same sponsor since any fucking date.

Face it. Volvo couldn't sell all the spots for this edition. So yes they gave it to a team with no hope. If somebody has a boat sure they'll get crew.. lots of people want to say they have done a RTW race. Fuck I've sailed with some useless bastards that can make the claim to have raced RTW - Most I hasten to say are awesome sailors and people.

Ok we'll have to disagree. I believe that anybody sailing in a race has the hope that they will win it or at least perform well enough to learn and have a good crack at it next time around.

There are many other ways to sail cheaply around the world, especially solo to bring in your VG parallel, so if that's what they want why not grow a pair, start a blog and vlog and get on with it. No need to fuck about as an also ran in the Volvo. 

You'll not that I have not mentioned any gender arguments. That's because gender is irrelevant! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NORBowGirl said:

I don’t think toxic waste makes the water brown....this looks more like a regular muddy river. OTOH, Brazil is still a 3rd world country in many ways and the water might be...unclean. Poverty is the number one environmental problem. 

Mud or soil first, and unclean from agricultural toxic waste (pesticides, fertilizer, antibiotics), as well as other toxic waste from dumps, industry, households, gas stations, garages, in other words a shitload of it. And all that not mainly from poverty.

• Like 1

Here's the whole video about the Horn from the Live this morning:

Just a note about the media team sent down there. Matt Connor (co founder Amis news, a "Media/News Company in London") , Ainhoa Sanchez,  and Alejandro Varela, host of the Spanish Unfiltered program, and team MAPF's "Media & Communications Director." And Marc Bow, VOR producer.

Wondered if this meant MAPFRE, the sponsor, picked up a big chunk of the tab. 

No matter. Good watching. Humorous run at the end with the data pack to upload the footage through the laptop via some "Explorer BeGAn"? unit. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, littlechay said:

This very funny.

I have no idea who you are what your relationship ship with the lady is so how could I be aiming a personal jibe at you?

You are reading far to much into what i said. I never she had the same sponsor since any fucking date.

Face it. Volvo couldn't sell all the spots for this edition. So yes they gave it to a team with no hope. If somebody has a boat sure they'll get crew.. lots of people want to say they have done a RTW race. Fuck I've sailed with some useless bastards that can make the claim to have raced RTW - Most I hasten to say are awesome sailors and people.

Ok we'll have to disagree. I believe that anybody sailing in a race has the hope that they will win it or at least perform well enough to learn and have a good crack at it next time around.

There are many other ways to sail cheaply around the world, especially solo to bring in your VG parallel, so if that's what they want why not grow a pair, start a blog and vlog and get on with it. No need to fuck about as an also ran in the Volvo. 

You'll not that I have not mentioned any gender arguments. That's because gender is irrelevant! 

I agree, gender is irrrelevant and thank God this edition will help this broaden this view. 

Now, Potter is a modest character but is in fact involved with ttop team. I sincerely value his input and probably most people agree On that. 

I have been questioning Dees competitiveness already and I still do. I don’t think she’s happy being last every time, and I don’t know how she’ll get better. No matter how pleased she is with her team and their progress, it can’t be ok to be last that much. 

You don’t have to win,  but being last every time is a bad thing. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, littlechay said:

This very funny.

No, you said she had sponsors around her like flies on dead meat; and I am saying she has not had any sponsors since 2010. She doesn't currently have any sponsors, she is employed as a skipper, like Charles is. 

Dee would agree with you, she is in this race with the desire to perform well enough and learn for the next race (whatever that next race might be).

I still find the desire to never have 'also rans' in any race as bizarre. 25 out of the 30 entrants in the VG did not think they had a chance of winning, SCA did not think they had a chance of winning (but did want to learn for the next one). How many of the 300 Fastnet entrants actually believe they have a chance of winning? I would guess at less than half. Same applies for any of the big offshore races, and any big regatta.  To look at other sports, there are plenty of countries that enter the World Cup (of pretty much any sport) that know they have no chance of winning.

Anyway, that is enough on this whole conversation. We are never going to agree on why people race despite knowing the chance of winning is negligible.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Potter said:

No, you said she had sponsors around her like flies on dead meat; and I am saying she has not had any sponsors since 2010. She doesn't currently have any sponsors, she is employed as a skipper, like Charles is. 

I concede the point that she is employed............

• Like 1

So easy to poke the bear in this thread.  Say something negative about the VOR and SNAP! a protector appears to attack the poster, usually personally.

Are these guys sitting in the backroom of the VOR office?

I recall watching a US TV show interview where the guest asked what all those people (to one side of the studio) were doing?  The host answered "They are our Social Media Team.  They monitor and post on the various SM channels for our show!"   There was about 8 people each with dual screens.

Screenshot_2018-04-07-09-53-05.png

1 hour ago, stief said:

... Humorous run at the end with the data pack to upload the footage through the laptop via some "Explorer BeGAn"? unit. 

The BGAN is impressive technology, it gives you Internet access pretty much anywhere on the planet. My nephew sells this stuff, mostly to offshore oil rigs. The one they have is the big version, there is a smaller one you could take on a canoe trip:

https://www.inmarsat.com/service/bgan/

• Like 2

Just some random numbers related to points made upthread about ACA refugees:

Checked one random poster's activity, and found that 363 out of 500 post were outside Ocean Racing Anarchy

That's 72.6%. So, fair to say, about 1/4 in the promised land.

Of the 25%, I have read every one, and have yet to note ANY content worth rereading. Well, TBH, there was a bad cut and paste of something to do with sponsorship a few months ago, but nothing that wasn't said better elsewhere.

The posts follow the same pattern. Find a heated topic or try to create one, find some phrase or make up a flame bait comment to lure the newbies, post something or quote something that will fill up thread space, and hope for a reaction. (Was actually surprised that the same method was tolerated in ACA, but never checked further.)

At our home club, we often gather on the dock and chat up the weekend to come, the week we had, and so on. People grab the deck chairs, bring out the appetizers to share, pass the bottle, and generally have a pleasant time talking up repairs, anchorages, and old stories. Same most places, I expect.

Yet when some blazer plops down, starts helping himself to the appies, expects someone to bring out a glass and pass the bottle, we let it go for a bit. When helping each other with maintenance, you know, bringing out that odd wrench or odd-threaded bolt, helping go up the mast, digging out the Sicaflex or what have you, the same blazer shows up and sneers at our efforts. 

Fucking leech. As you can guess, not welcome, and when out cruising, we know where not to go. And when back at dock, who to ignore. Not welcome.

Sorry . . . there is much more that can be said. Apologies to the thread for the drift.

And thanks to all who provide real content and real points. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

The BGAN is impressive technology, it gives you Internet access pretty much anywhere on the planet. My nephew sells this stuff, mostly to offshore oil rigs. The one they have is the big version, there is a smaller one you could take on a canoe trip:

https://www.inmarsat.com/service/bgan/

Thanks Forest--saves me a hunt.  Quickly checked the site for a price, and figured yep, one of those "if you have to ask . . . "  Cool kit, nonetheless. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stief said:

Just some random numbers related to points made upthread about ACA refugees:

Checked one random poster's activity, and found that 363 out of 500 post were outside Ocean Racing Anarchy

That's 72.6%. So, fair to say, about 1/4 in the promised land.

Of the 25%, I have read every one, and have yet to note ANY content worth rereading. Well, TBH, there was a bad cut and paste of something to do with sponsorship a few months ago, but nothing that wasn't said better elsewhere.

The posts follow the same pattern. Find a heated topic or try to create one, find some phrase or make up a flame bait comment to lure the newbies, post something or quote something that will fill up thread space, and hope for a reaction. (Was actually surprised that the same method was tolerated in ACA, but never checked further.)

At our home club, we often gather on the dock and chat up the weekend to come, the week we had, and so on. People grab the deck chairs, bring out the appetizers to share, pass the bottle, and generally have a pleasant time talking up repairs, anchorages, and old stories. Same most places, I expect.

Yet when some blazer plops down, starts helping himself to the appies, expects someone to bring out a glass and pass the bottle, we let it go for a bit. When helping each other with maintenance, you know, bringing out that odd wrench or odd-threaded bolt, helping go up the mast, digging out the Sicaflex or what have you, the same blazer shows up and sneers at our efforts. 

Fucking leech. As you can guess, not welcome, and when out cruising, we know where not to go. And when back at dock, who to ignore. Not welcome.

Sorry . . . there is much more that can be said. Apologies to the thread for the drift.

And thanks to all who provide real content and real points. 

That would be the enclosed, heated, insulated dock 9 months of the year and the sun-shaded, air-conditioned, mosquito-netted dock the other three?   Or has climate change come to Saskatchewan?

Nonetheless, blazers are most certainly not appreciated most any place I prefer to hang out at.  

• Like 1

Potter, from a totally neutral outsider’s point of view, I think you got a little wound up over Chay’s comment. I don’t believe what he said was offensive, it just got a little lost in the humor. 

I can totally understand why you took it the way you did though  

9 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Potter, from a totally neutral outsider’s point of view, I think you got a little wound up over Chay’s comment. I don’t believe what he said was offensive, it just got a little lost in the humor. 

I can totally understand why you took it the way you did though  

Yeah, fair enough, jet lag and the last few weeks have felt exceptionally long. 

A little harsh on Dee.  Question is, has it been a better race because she and TToP have been in it?  I'd say yes.  Many positive things have come from their participation.

Although ultimate accountability rests with the skipper on the water, this is a team sport, on and off the water.  Success and failure does not rest entirely on the skipper's shoulders. 

She may not have pushed her team as hard as the other teams but they haven't had any major mishaps either.  Which, given the experience of those on board, was probably the prudent and responsible thing to do.  At other times they've mixed it up pretty well.  Some set backs.  Maybe they'll get a win yet.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, stief said:

Thanks Forest--saves me a hunt.  Quickly checked the site for a price, and figured yep, one of those "if you have to ask . . . "  Cool kit, nonetheless. 

The BGAN itself is about $10K CDN, then there are the service fees. According to my nephew, the average offshore oil rig has a monthly satcom service fee of roughly $250K, which shows you how they make their money. Good thing Inmarsat is a race partner, that would be an expensive little broadcast from the Horn.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, southerncross said:

A little harsh on Dee.  Question is, has it been a better race because she and TToP have been it?  I'd say yes.  Many positive things have come from their participation.

Although ultimate accountability rests with the skipper on the water, this is a team sport, on and off the water.  Success and failure does not rest entirely on the skipper's shoulders. 

She may not have pushed her team as hard as the other teams but they haven't had any major mishaps either.  Which, given the experience of those on board, was probably the prudent and responsible thing to do.  At other times they've mixed it up pretty well.  Some set backs.  Maybe they'll get a win yet.

As one of the T-Top crew said, when they were in the middle of the pack during the days in the SO, "We've learned how to sail this thing, now we are learning how to race it."  

For the record, while I've been following the race we've refined our waste management practices on my boat partly from the constant T-Top message.  Not a bad thing.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, stief said:

Mosquitoes and deer flies or horseflies most weekends.

Beautiful Lake, Stief.  So the mosquitoes and critters attack you while you're on the boat?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southerncross said:

A little harsh on Dee.  Question is, has it been a better race because she and TToP have been it?  I'd say yes.  Many positive things have come from their participation.

Agree, don’t understand how anyone who hasn’t been out there in this race can dis any of the skippers or crew.

The really slow boat on this leg was Scally not TTOP. 

• Like 4

The other sleeper here is blind chance, there are so many variables in each leg, once a boat gets out of touch with the fleet anything can happen.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, southerncross said:

A little harsh on Dee.  Question is, has it been a better race because she and TToP have been in it?  I'd say yes.  Many positive things have come from their participation.

You sort of hit the nail on the head here. Her MANY successful laps around the marble have shown she’s damned good at safely pushing a boat at or near 100%. Having said that, it seems like the winning skippers are the ones willing to risk a bit more and push beyond the safe limits. They also break more boats. That is in no way an insult. She’s still ten times the sailor I’ll ever be. 

• Like 1

Taking drones to a new level.  Pretty risky.  What if he clipped a sail?

• Like 6

^ Just caught that on FB, not only a sail but the carbon rigging could be a hazard.

Race Control has issued a 3-hour call for the ETA of @TurnTidePlastic #watchlog

Dutch research and high-level sports come together during Volvo Ocean Race

Published: 10 November 2017

A consortium of companies, governments and knowledge institutions known as Deltares and MARIN are working with team AkzoNobel to try to improve the team’s performance in wind and waves during the Volvo Ocean Race 2017-2018. An example of how Dutch research and top sports can work together, the project links the challenging Volvo Ocean Race to innovative, sustainable shipping, clean oceans and climate models. The results of this research will be presented in June 2018 at the conference “Future of the Oceans” during the Volvo Ocean Race’s final stopover in The Hague.

Research-Deltares-MARIN-for-AkzoNobel-te

https://www.deltares.nl/en/news/dutch-research-and-high-level-sports-come-together-during-volvo-ocean-race/

• Like 1

Wow. Is that the first ever drone fly-through? Impressive.

56 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Dutch research and high-level sports come together during Volvo Ocean Race

Published: 10 November 2017

A consortium of companies, governments and knowledge institutions known as Deltares and MARIN are working with team AkzoNobel to try to improve the team’s performance in wind and waves during the Volvo Ocean Race 2017-2018. An example of how Dutch research and top sports can work together, the project links the challenging Volvo Ocean Race to innovative, sustainable shipping, clean oceans and climate models. The results of this research will be presented in June 2018 at the conference “Future of the Oceans” during the Volvo Ocean Race’s final stopover in The Hague.

Research-Deltares-MARIN-for-AkzoNobel-te

https://www.deltares.nl/en/news/dutch-research-and-high-level-sports-come-together-during-volvo-ocean-race/

Nice, no VERY nice, find (and snip).

The objective of the cooperative project is to use Deltares’ knowledge of global tidal and current circulation (Delft3D FM model) and MARIN’s knowledge on sail assisted propulsion in waves to help squeeze the maximum performance out of the team AkzoNobel Volvo Ocean 65 yacht, skippered by Simeon Tienpont. Moreover, the research could enable both MARIN and Deltares to develop new products and services for better ships and blue oceans.

As part of this research, MARIN performed a numerical study using data recorded on board the boat and validated by tank tests using a scale model VO65. Deltares tested the reliability and usability of the predictions provided by the Global Tide and Surge Models and used the feedback and experience from the team to improve the overall performance of the system and make it available to more users.

With currents being so important on the Newport leg past Brazil (as Chay has pointed out in the past) and into the Gulf stream, this may give AKZO an edge. Poor MAPF and the others.  Don't know if Vila and the grinders will have enough sailing smarts to overcome that 'propriety' info.

Glad mosquitoes are the worst of my sailing problems :D

• Like 2

SC, that article is from Nov last year. Have been trying to think if we can see any evidence the info was a factor in the past. Too many doubts and other factors, but  Leg 3 maybe? (prior to the bad gybe).

Fortunately unlike EU weather data, NOAA remains dedicated to the public and there's no secret current and weather data re the gulf stream or this side of the Atlantic.

Data collection is expensive. Developing weather models and maintaining computing resources and feeding meteorologist are expensive. So ironically the more proprietory and isolated, except in unique small environments like a large lake, Danish coast or the like, the worse the outcome if you go it alon . 

True, but 

Skipper Simeon Tienpont: ‘We are very pleased to work together with this consortium in the preparation phase and during the race. With their unique combination of computer calculations, model tests and on-board measurements, we hope to be able to get the final extra few percentages of performance out of our VO65 during the roughest times of the race.’

Vestas modelling wasn't enough for VS11 in Leg 3. Nor keel settings for DFRT. Any minuscule factor is not enough by itself, of course.

12 minutes ago, stief said:

SC, that article is from Nov last year. Have been trying to think if we can see any evidence the info was a factor in the past. Too many doubts and other factors, but  Leg 3 maybe? (prior to the bad gybe).

Brunel must have got hold of it. ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

Brunel must have got hold of it. ;)

Hehe. Dutch.

Race Control has issued a 3-hour call for the ETA of @TurnTidePlastic #watchlog

Not speaking for anyone, 'cept myself, I'd say this leg fully validates Dee. Well done.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stief said:

Vestas modelling wasn't enough for VS11 in Leg 3. Nor keel settings for DFRT. Any minuscule factor is not enough by itself, of course.

Would have thought a lot of this data would have been compiled by Farr when they designed the boat in the first place.  

In the end, like that great article once on the FP, all the dat and instruments can't replace experience and intuition and instinct (yet). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Would have thought a lot of this data would have been compiled by Farr when they designed the boat in the first place.  

In the end, like that great article once on the FP, all the dat and instruments can't replace experience and intuition and instinct (yet). 

Yup. Kevin Hall's stories of trying to find the balance were great. As for the Farr data, been watching whether the VORG boats are based on 'real' Farr polars. No luck, but Your Mom's posts on the advantages of 'foils' and 'hull polish' etc have been great. Made me think what a great modeling test tank the VORG might be for Farr and the like if they were to develop a foiling boat next edition.

Still no spreadsheet here, but TTOP should be there soon. MAPF at least averaged 12.1 COG over 6 hours.

On 4/6/2018 at 12:11 AM, jack_sparrow said:

7 boats for the Legends race...nice bit of symmetry.

I see only 6 boats entered on the VOR legends Race page: https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/the-legends-race-news-editorial.html

So, are you the 7th entry with one of the Pirates ?

And I am not sure all these entries are definite either, as the latest my sniffer dog heard in Lisbon was that The Hague/Scheveningen was asking exorbitant harbor/marina charges. Seems a big fuck up to me, and shame to the Dutch organizers.

Not much on their Farcebook page either, just 3 stories and a rather nice clip, but hey, real Legends refuse to use the social media, isn't it.     

(has been posted before, or I saw it somewhere)     https://web.facebook.com/legendsrace2018/videos/701667346686380/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

I see only 6 boats entered on the VOR legends Race page: https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/the-legends-race-news-editorial.html

So are you the 7th entry with one of the Pirates ?

And I am not sure all these entries are definite either, as the latest my sniffer dog heard in Lisbon was that The Hague/Scheveningen was asking exorbitant harbor/marina charges. Seems a big fuck up to me, and shame to the Dutch organizers.

Not much on their Farcebook page either, just 3 stories and a rather nice clip, but hey, real Legends refuse to use the social media, isn't it.     

https://web.facebook.com/legendsrace2018/videos/701667346686380/

And not one of the ingrates mention that it's all about the sponsors :D

"Nice' clip indeed. Thanks, indeed. As you say. we can jump or we can stay. Worth staying for.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stief said:

As you say. we can jump or we can stay

That was Xaby in the doldrums saying that, must have had serious thoughts of it again lately.  :wacko:

And thanks for embedding the Facebook link, I couldn't get it...

1 minute ago, Fiji Bitter said:

That was Xaby in the doldrums saying that, must have had serious thoughts of it again lately.  :wacko:

And thanks for embedding the Facebook link, I couldn't get it...

Xabi, eh. Missed that one. Oh  --- re the FB link. Thought it odd you didn't. (I only control-clicked the time stamp to call up the URL that pastes here). Would rather you pasted it

https://www.facebook.com/legendsrace2018/videos/701667346686380/

so I can hide my post. Embarrassed I missed the Xabi allusion.

4 minutes ago, stief said:

Xabi, eh. Missed that one. Oh  --- re the FB link. Thought it odd you didn't. (I only control-clicked the time stamp to call up the URL that pastes here). Would rather you pasted it

https://www.facebook.com/legendsrace2018/videos/701667346686380/

so I can hide my post. Embarrassed I missed the Xabi allusion.

Come on Stief, how can you ever be embarrassed with the amount effort and posts you put in !

That embedding didn't seem to work for me, so please leave it, and now I copied your post anyway, sorry. :P

• Like 3

Got it.

SC and you were comparing this leg to the past. Here's Chisnell's write up, mentioning a naked Horn ritual and misplaced doldrums. Sounds rather familiar.

Ericsson 4 followed them through just two and a half hours later, with PUMA third that evening. Green Dragon didn’t quite make it round on the Irish National Day – it was 02.15 on the morning of 18March when they passed into the Atlantic. Since most people were still celebrating St Paddy’s Day at that stage, no one noticed, and it counted all the same. A day and a half later, Telefónica Blue joined them in the South Atlantic. Everyone paid their proper respects to the landmark, cigars were smoked, and secret liquor stashes were broken open. Aboard PUMA, Casey Smith got naked as promised, and even skipper, Ken Read - who had been posing as something of a Horn-refusenik – finally got it, “I just wanted to tick the box, but now I'm a believer in the power of Cape Horn.”

Ericsson 4 got within six miles of Ericsson 3 just north of the Le Maire Strait, as they both sat becalmed in the wind shadow of Tierra del Fuego. It wasn’t quite close enough. Salter and his team-mates had to watch as the Nordics escaped into the breeze first and quickly rebuilt their lead to 50 miles. There were still 2,000 miles to go, and the fleet was made to suffer through fickle conditions for almost every one of them. But the ‘squeeze box’ was at work – the gaps between the boats compressing and opening periodically, without any real passing lanes.

Green Dragon had a particularly dreadful hand dealt to them, as the wind shifted so that they had to tack round the northern tip of the Falkland Islands. Unfortunately, those extra hours were costly, as they then didn’t quite make it across in front of a growing chasm of light air. PUMA slipped through, and a huge gap started to open between the Dragon and the leading trio. It was so calm for them on the final run up to Rio that on two consecutive nights, watch captain Neal McDonald could see the stars reflected in the ocean – something he had never experienced before in hundreds of thousands of ocean-racing miles.

[Ian Walker]: “We started with 40 days [food supply] and a week ago we split some food packs down to make another two days of food rations. This would give us 42 or another three days from now. We may well need at least seven days and three into seven doesn't go ... We are already hungry and it will get worse – simple as that. That is life – nobody is going to die.”

Tom Braidwood was filmed helping to sort it out, and suggesting that they added strips of toilet paper to the soup to bulk it up. No one was sure if he was joking – particularly after he swallowed some to prove it was edible. Neal McDonald was sharing with his watch partner, the Irish bowman Justin Slattery. The different rationing strategies employed caused some entertainment as the days dragged on – the crew dividing into gorgers and hoarders. McDonald and Slattery set aside one cooked meal out of the normal two for the last couple of days, which put them into the hoarding camp. It could have been a lot worse, reckoned McDonald afterwards. In the 2001–02 race, they had gone to half rations just two weeks into leg one.

only 99¢ From: Chisnell, Mark. “Spanish Castle to White Night.”

25 minutes ago, stief said:

Here's Chisnell's write up, mentioning a naked Horn

Nice write up on that ritual, I remember a similar story, but that was more of a show off. Maybe that's when the ritual thing started...

Anyway, time for a bit more thread drift before TTOP powers in.

Here is a rather unique and beautiful picture of yesterdays  Windy weather here, although I don't like it at all!   Dunno if it is a ridge or a front, or both, but it is over a huge area, and with a low developing into a cat 1 cyclone near Fiji on Monday night (as mentioned in my Vestas/Damien post).. Pfff, looks I am ok again, but the poor bastards in the already flooded areas perhaps not so much.

5ac82d719708f_windyridgefrontfiji.thumb.jpg.b81d851378397c7f87352038fb20783b.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like it just hit 4 miles from the finish.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, littlechay said:

Fuck I've sailed with some useless bastards that can make the claim to have raced RTW

May I guess, BH (natter boy) perhaps ?  

And if you sail 1 leg and got kicked off, then you can claim to have sailed the Whitbread/Volvo RTW, isn't it...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stief said:

Got it. "Exaggerated" is better.  Bad phrasing on my part. Looking forward to that info.

Why all the fuss about "appendices" ? Things have to be filed away don't they?

9 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

Well, since I’m a gentlewoman (on Oslovian salary) I would of course have paid! ;)  Our culture is almost more Dutch than in Holland, but of course you know that. Maybe he didn’t! His loss :) 

Including the special little cafes Bowgirl?

4 hours ago, southerncross said:

Brilliant, he thought briefly about trying a reverse........a wise man in the end.

• Like 3

2 miles out in 3 knots of breeze . . . so close. (Anyone find any coverage? I got nuthin )

Just now, stief said:

2 miles out in 3 knots of breeze . . . so close. (Anyone find any coverage? I got nuthin )

Nope.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhc said:

Not speaking for anyone, 'cept myself, I'd say this leg fully validates Dee. Well done.

Hell yeah! Anyone who sails a leg like this deserves a lot of credit. Keeping a crew's morale up and the the boat in one piece (mostly) while one is  physically and mentally completely drained is in itself a major task. They have not been the fastest boat, obviously, but it is faster than dropping the rig, or shredding one's main... And seriously, those instances are not just bad luck. Someone like Bouwe knows damn well how far he can push things and avoiding major risks. Dee perhaps pushed a bit too, but is learning and finishing this leg in 4th place testifies to that.

And as a sidenote: I might be be alone in this, but I have always thought that Mapfre, and before that Telefonica is often pushing things to the limits. 

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Nope.  

A Spanish Live showed up for a moment, but nothing now.

4 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Including the special little cafes Bowgirl?

Brown cafe's or coffee shops you mean?   When I was in Stockholm the girls had brown teeth, and the coffee was ditch water from Itajai (sorry Bow, nothing personal, and 2-3 glasses of wine and whine warning!)

Just checked couldn't find any coverage of TTOPs finish - was hoping for some live coverage of their finish.

I don't think I'd want to risk flying a $1500 drone between the headsails of any boat - a cool shot non the less.

The drone footage in the SO had to be difficult as well - they had to put those Phantom 4+ Pros into sport mode to keep up.

The extended cut of Brunnel in the SO.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

And as a sidenote: I might be be alone in this, but I have always thought that Mapfre, and before that Telefonica is often pushing things to the limits. 

Agreed. Love it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stief said:

Where is Carlos, doesn't he know there are 5 girls on board (or 4 actually).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stief said:

A Spanish Live showed up for a moment, but nothing now.

VOR is all asleep. Left a note at the finish: "Key to restrooms and showers are at the dock. AKZO left a cold beer or two in the fridge. See you in the morning, bright and early"

Holy %&^%&^. They're down to 1.3 knts.  This will never end!

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Holy %&^%&^. They're down to 1.3 knts.  This will never end!

I know, each time I checked in the last hour they were 30 minutes away from finishing. Right now it is an hour, unless they keep they negative VMC's up...

And they've tacked for the finish. C'mon Potter, light 'em in

5ac83d3fd95d5_ScreenShot2018-04-06at9_37_51PM.png.a1a929a76c7bd4fac05ba08b780622d5.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

VOR is all asleep. Left a note at the finish: "Key to restrooms and showers are at the dock. AKZO left a cold beer or two in the fridge. See you in the morning, bright and early"

Another Dreamer?   Dong Men will be out in full force, and so will be the others, with hamburgers and beer, and lots of kisses!

• Like 1

How's the sunset there in Fijiland?

Message about Live just in . . . 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Another Dreamer?   Dong Men will be out in full force, and so will be the others, with hamburgers and beer, and lots of kisses!

you knew I was joking, right?

• Like 1

Funny listening to Conrad as one of the Directors of the IMOCA class. Didn't realize that until today, and it makes his comments about Dee's credentials more authentic.

• Like 1

No wonder they're slower!  They've got an open scoop the whole time.

• Like 1

Conrad and Niall properly running their play list/ talking points through a SA thread check! "Relentless". Good for them. :lol:

• Like 1

I noticed that too. Particularly pointing out Dee saying, "We don't want any sympathy - We're here to compete!"

• Like 1

Just now, AnotherSailor said:

nice piece on their leg! Some awesome footage!

Including the Easter Sunday blasphemy and the unsportsmanlike gloating over MAPF's misfortunes? HA!

(I'm kidding)

Good turnout. Pay attention, Newport.

Impressed with Conrad's ability to stay on topic for so long.

• Like 1

Hahaha. "Multihulls are always trying to kill you" Conrad's IMOCA blazer trolling the VG sailors who left the safe platform for the killer machines?

Just now, southerncross said:

Impressed with Conrad's ability to stay on topic for so long.

Agree . . .  and impressive delivery of Brian Thompson's CV