southerncross

VOR Leg 7 Auckland to Itajai

Hi Stief

(Post 4953) I can’t recall any navigation/seamanship awards this edition. I know there is the Inmarsat Media Award and the Omega 24 hour record in each leg.

Regarding Vestas – and I admit this is real thinking outside the box – why didn’t they ask (maybe they did and were turned down) if any of the yachts in the photos were laid up there for a while and offer to buy their rigs for the replacement and transport costs (and a few beers) -   Whole kit and caboodle including sails. Fabricate a new mast foot and they would have a rig twice the height of what they have fitted. The other boat in a few weeks would have a brand new rig on the way. I would go for that.

Might be totally stupid  - and of course depends what their budget is - but I think back to when Dongfeng lost the top section of their mast they bought a mainsail from a French cruising yacht in Ushaia, Martin Stromberg (who is a sailmaker) cut it down and off they went.

Sailbydate (Post 4961/4968) I don’t remember them switching mains at any point in the race but yes, my understanding is they have a second one they can just swap over.

Xabi and the rest if is crew are tough competitors. Only difference this leg has made is that Dongfeng will be looking over their scoreboard shoulder as well as their real shoulder as they have done for large parts of many of the legs so far in this edition. Up to them now to make the advantage stick instead of allowing Mapfre to wear them down as they have done in a number of legs so far – Game ON!

Stief (4976) I doubt if there are any gloaters there - they all kno . Every skipper will know that it is a case of “there but for the grace of god go I”. Certainly sailors will be depleted as a number have flown out for some R&R at home.

2 more races on after Mapfre’s arrival – races against time. Personally I fancy Scallywags chanced of arriving in time with an experienced crew coupled to normal motive power (sails) more than Vestas with a 75 horse diesel and a midget rig.

SS

• Like 4

Just now, Fiji Bitter said:

Stief, r u seeing double ?

Yeah. Had to open the second bottle. Having fun, but apologies for the silliness nonetheless. Someone has to witness their arrival :) 

Just now, stief said:

Yeah. Had to open the second bottle. Having fun, but apologies for the silliness nonetheless. Someone has to witness their arrival :) 

Seeing 2 bottles now, good on you. And very few fans around indeed, hope there will be a bit Live soon!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stief said:

And the final sked has arrived. MAPF has averaged 9.2 its for the last 6  hours, passed the penultimate headland, and now less than 4 miles from the finish.

Maybe Alicante will wake up to note the homecoming, and Bouwe had better be on dock with bended knee offering up a burger to Támaara, or I hope she chest bumps him to the end of the dock saying :"you got lucky, big Bouwe,  with your fancy-pants driver, that you didn't have to face us in a southern gybe-fest."Maybe next edition you won't be so lucky. How many minutes till the nest leg? Bring it on!"

5ac9c2d5f1af8_ScreenShot2018-04-08at1_18_01AM.png.3c7f7e4ccc0f5ab5bf78d4f67ae6fbcf.png

Ha, ha. Still laughing over that Támaara/Bouwe dialogue and visual. :P

• Like 1

Got it Shang. I had some grumbles about your last FP post, but they were minor and I don't begrudge you the joy of DFRT's standings. They deserve it, even though I think my underdogs deserve it more. Cheers'

Since Mapre was supposedly going to finish in "a few hours" I have" cooked and served dinner to guests; we then went to the symphony; came home; cleaned up, and am still waiting for Mapre to cross. Going to the VOR site now.

Re snus: whenever I think of that stuff I visualize all the styrofoam cups people left in my office with their suns spit sitting in the bottom. It was disgusting. 

Pot is legal here too, recreational not medicinal. Funny thing is that demand far exceeds supply, so the shops are only open part time until the rowers catch up.  But it is very restrictive as to where it can me used, so the tourists who swarm the state in the summer, esp from cruise ships, have to sneak around to imbibe. Can't use it in: cars, taxis, restaurants, bars, public transportation, public places, or the pot shops themselves, etc. 

2 minutes ago, forss said:

How many mainsails teams are allowed use?

Didn't MAPFRE break its mast during training period?

Yes. they are using the new improved generation 2 mast. 2 mains allowed, AFAIK, they haven't deployed the 2nd. Thanks so much for your trackers.

2 minutes ago, forss said:

How many mainsails teams are allowed use?

Didn't MAPFRE lose its mast during training period?

Good point, I forgot about that - not sure if a) that casued any damage to the mainsail or b ) if the training sails count in the actual race as well.

SS

• Like 1

It seems to be blowing 40 knots at the finish, and oh no, Mapfre ripped it's main again. Are they now gone be able to finish?

They already repaired that main, they must have some practice doing that.

2 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

It seems to be blowing 40 knots at the finish, and oh no, Mapfre ripped it's main again. Are they now gone be able to finish?

Hah, Cute, but not funny. Until they cross, anything can happen. Jinx drinking cure in effect immediately.

• Like 1

Just now, stief said:

Hah, Cute, but not funny. Until they cross, anything can happen. Jinx drinking cure in effect immediately.

Done, cheers !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

CONCLUSION

MAPF and AKZO have an equal chance of securing the top prize. For DFRT to succeed they have to exorcise the "Telefonica Podium Fail Factor" and ending up 4th.

BRU have an outside chance of ending up on the podium.

19 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Must have been a quiet day at the office Jack.

Big difference is that Telefonica were on a downward spiral while Dongfeng have just hit the front for the first time. If you use the last race it was this leg where DFRT LOST the lead not gained it :-)

Cheers

SS

Now Shang I appreciate that post of mine sent you into a fit of unbridled depression whereby you can be forgiven for reaching for the bottle and clutching those smokes but mate saying Telefonica was on a downward spiral and trying introduce Edition results that bear no similarity,  is just "grasping at straws" in trying to mock my scientific and quantitative race analysis.

Might I remind you of the comparitve placings for DFRT and Telefonica up to Itajai.

DFRT   Telefonica

Leg 1 Lisbon/CT.    3.            1.

Leg 2  CT/ AD.        2.             1.

Leg 3 MLB/SAN.    2.             1.

Leg 4 HK/AUK.       2.             2.

Leg 6/5 AUK/IT.     4.              2.

Leg 7 IT.                   2.

Average Placings   2.5         1.2     

I would hardly call the above a "downward spiral" by Telefonica. Similarly it is a long reach to suggest DFRT have reached the top of the Leaderboard now as a function of steady improvement. On the penultimate leg into Auckland they were 4th and their average placing still laungishes below their Itajai result. Also using own analysis of the last edition where DFRT lost the lead this leg, exactly the same thing has occured this leg, but to MAPF. DFFT are at best just marking time.

Shang the bottom line is DFRT is second into Itsjai and will leave in first position identical to Telefonica who then ended up 4th overall. That is undeniable fact.

In fact Telefonica/Iker knew this hoodoo was in the making and had a stopover at the Horn. However a combination of the silly buggers leaving too soon and Camper spending too long in Puerto Montt getting fixed and then Groupama losing its rig further up the track, blew up their plan of sliding off top of the table in Itajai. They were then doomed.

I will go one step further to say that MAPF/Xabi are also mortally afraid of being encumbered with this "second in first out" Itajai hoodoo and made a pitstop at the Horn to avoid being in the unenviable  position where DFRT are now. It is clearly a deep seated Spanish skipper fear.

Shang history and hoodoos are a horrible thing and the factual parallels with 2011/12 scary for DFRT fans to even think about.

I just hope to God you can grab some sleep between now and when the Dong hits the Hague.

unnamed (27).gif

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Does Volvo pay the commentators every time they say Southern Ocean even though they didn't go there? 

"Way down there at 55 South in the Southern Ocean".... errrrr no not by anybodies definition, lets stick with South Pacific. 

• Like 3

C'mon Conrad, up the commentary: this is not the repair team arriving--these are the hairy backed, knuckle-dragging crew that the Sidney-Hobarters hid from in Melbourne!

• Like 1

Good on Itajaí welcoming all  the teams. Again, I say, Newport take note.

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Now Shang I appreciate that post of mine sent you into a fit of unbridled depression whereby you can be forgiven for reaching for the bottle and clutching those smokes but mate saying Telefonica was on a downward spiral and trying introduce Edition results that bear no similarity,  is just "grasping at straws" in trying to mock my scientific and quantitative race analysis.

Might I remind you of the comparitve placings for DFRT and Telefonica up to Itajai.

DFRT   Telefonica

Leg 1 Lisbon/CT.    3.            1.

Leg 2  CT/ AD.        2.             1.

Leg 3 MLB/SAN.    2.             1.

Leg 4 HK/AUK.       2.             2.

Leg 6/5 AUK/IT.     4.              2.

Leg 7 IT.                   2.

Average Placings                                  to Itajai.                   2.5         1.2     

I would hardly call the above a "downward spiral" by Telefonica. Similarly it is a long reach to suggest DFRT have reached the top of the Leaderboard now as a function of steady improvement. On the penultimate leg into Auckland they were 4th and their average placing still laungishes above their Itajai result. Also using own analysis of the last edition where DFRT lost the lead this leg, exactly the same thing has occured this leg, but to MAPF. 

Shang the bottom line is DFRT is second into Itsjai and will leave in first position identical to Telefonica who then ended up 4th. That is undeniable fact.

In fact Telefonica/Iker knew this hoodoo was in the making and had a stopover at the Horn. However a combination of the silly buggers leaving too soon and Camper spending too long in Puerto Montt getting fixed and then Groupama losing its rig further up the track, blew up their plan of sliding off top of the table in Itajai. They were then doomed.

I will go one step further to say that MAPF/Xabi are also mortally afraid of being encumbered with this "second in first out" Itajai hoodoo and made a pitstop at the Horn to avoid being in the unenviable  position where DFRT are now. It is clearly a deep seated Spanish skipper fear.

Shang history and hoodoos are a horrible thing...I just hope to God you can grab some sleep between now and when the Dong hits Newport.

unnamed (27).gif

Two things Jack, a) you have a wicked sense of humour and b ) you assume far too much about my mental state. Your 'science' as you call it is certainly "Weird Science" but sadly without Kelly LeBrock (look it up). The fact that DFRT is top of the leaderboard is a result of 7 legs not just one. Only scoreboard that matters is the one into The Hague.

Nice of you to include a video of your sleep pattern in your post - love the long johns :-)

• Like 2

OK, Conrad, I grudgingly grant you credit for recognizing MAPF's crew work and leadership. They don't have the 40 shore crew support that others have, nor the depth to switch out (Louis Sinclair), but they're doing so much with so few.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Two things Jack, a) you have a wicked sense of humour and b ) you assume far too much about my mental state. Your 'science' as you call it is certainly "Weird Science" but sadly without Kelly LeBrock (look it up). The fact that DFRT is top of the leaderboard is a result of 7 legs not just one. Exactly, and so was Telefonica with nothing worse than a 2nd leaving Itajai. Only scoreboard that matters is the one into The Hague. Sleep well.

Nice of you to include a video of your sleep pattern in your post - love the long johns :-)

The twins burnt mine the day they moved in...but your right, I do have trouble getting to sleep with those two.

unnamed (26).gif

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Congrats MAPF. Well done on a tough, maybe even horrible, leg. Still a chance of success on this 10 th or 11 try to hoist the trophy, 

Not too Xabi !

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Gotta love the banter amongst those that are not just trolls

Personally, I find that very disturbing.

Don't want to miss any waffles.

Coulda waited for the results till tomorrow, but watching the finish Live is so much better.. Thanks to those from the underworld watch who were here too. Thought it would be a private pleasure. And yes, so much better without the trolls. Cheers all--looking forward to the dock interviews.

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

For some reason that word "relentless" looms large with a finish like that.

Despacio, you hit a very important nail on the head about the "sneaking around" part & a very important detail that Colorado got right, lounges for that very thing!

Another funny thing about the change in the law is how often one encounters the odor of bud, not unusual at all now in downtown Seattle & on public Transit.

• Like 1

Oh, Live producer. Not even those glorious 3D graphic tacker shots so we know when the dock interviews will happen? Nor the past clips of MAPF crosses and surfing cued up ready to go? Tsk Tsk. "Relentless" learning curve for you too.

edit: apologies Producer. 3D tracker on screen now.

With regards to the other two we eagerly await for arrival in Itajaí, they're; beyond AIS range just now. Any guesses when we can expect an update?

As ever.. Xavi's response to the question about DFRT being ahead is good: "They did a good leg, we just have to sail hard"

Night all. Safe watch over the next two arrivals.

39 minutes ago, animeproblem said:

Pot lounges ...

That very subject has  been before the local city Assembly weekly for the past month. I don't personally use pot, or care, but it's a big economic deal for the retail shops.

Class Acts I: Bruno greeting Xabi, as noted above; Class Acts 2: Xabi and Joan Vila. 

Niall made it very clear that if we want updates on SHKS and/or Vestas11, we must go to their respective web sites. So, it appears (no pun intended) that noting will be coming out of the VOR about those boats, and, not on the tracker either? I assume not.  I also assume there is no OBR on board either boat. I would like to know who is crewing Vestas11; anyone know? Hopefully it is a delivery crew so the regular racing crew can get some rest  before Leg 8. It could be really tight for Vestas11 to get to Itajai in time to get the boat ready for Leg 8, e.g. changing the ballast tanks back over, putting in the new mast, etc. 

Not sure if SHKS in a better position to arrive quicker since I don't know where she is, but at least she has all her sails and a mast. And since they have retired they could reprovision food in Pureto Montt, as could Vestas11. 

What a leg....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

(...)

Niall made it very clear that if we want updates on SHKS and/or Vestas11, we must go to their respective web sites. So, it appears (no pun intended) that noting will be coming out of the VOR about those boats, and, not on the tracker either? I assume not.  I also assume there is no OBR on board either boat. I would like to know who is crewing Vestas11; anyone know? Hopefully it is a delivery crew so the regular racing crew can get some rest  before Leg 8. It could be really tight for Vestas11 to get to Itajai in time to get the boat ready for Leg 8, e.g. changing the ballast tanks back over, putting in the new mast, etc. 
(...)

What a shame for VOR, as both boats still belong to the VOR fleet. Disappointing, how the VOR media (does not) care(s) for their stories from now on.

Vestas: Yes, "sailed" by a delivery crew, but AFAIK, we don't know who they are - contrary to SHK/S's del. crew that was introduced to the public.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

That very subject has  been before the local city Assembly weekly for the past month. I don't personally use pot, or care, but it's a big economic deal for the retail shops.

Class Acts I: Bruno greeting Xabi, as noted above; Class Acts 2: Xabi and Joan Vila. 

Not sure if SHKS in a better position to arrive quicker since I don't know where she is, but at least she has all her sails and a mast. And since they have retired they could reprovision food in Pureto Montt, as could Vestas11. 

What a leg....

Scally's loc two minutes ago.

Scallywag 080418 1924AEST.jpg

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

What a shame for VOR, as both boats still belong to the VOR fleet. Disappointing, how the VOR media (does not) care(s) for their stories from now on.

Vestas: Yes, "sailed" by a delivery crew, but AFAIK, we don't know who they are - contrary to SHK/S's del. crew that was introduced to the public.

Perhaps a measure of the quality of their respective media personnel. A selfie would have sufficed and would not have been difficult or time consuming to do. Do Vestas themselves perhaps think people have lost interest in them?

SS

• Like 3

The ongoing stories of Vestas and 11th Hr don't fit the soundbite/clip presentation format favoured by VOR in this race edition and therefore won't be covered. Yes, a true shame as they're always trying to get a new and interesting angle to engage non sailing fans.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Perhaps a measure of the quality of their respective media personnel. A selfie would have sufficed and would not have been difficult or time consuming to do. Do Vestas themselves perhaps think people have lost interest in them?

SS

I'm not enough of a groupie to recognise who is who in the photos of the Vestas gang after the jury rig mast in. But I believe that the delivery crew or some of them must be in that rather large group photo. ^^^^^^ Also in the FB link I posted this morning (sorry been driving all day and haven't read back to see if it worked) says that the last two to fly out to were the OBR and IIRC the boat captain; implying that the rest of the Vestas crew had already left the Falklands and that the delivery crew was entirely non racing crew. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

We talk about things sponsorship, madness and going for it..this Swiss guy is a contender.

A Mini and ORMA60 sailor and Laurent Bourgnon's younger brother. 

Cool boat but crazy like a loon.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2018 at 11:08 PM, paps49 said:

Is that the longest piece of steel pipe he could find?

On a V65 can you Adam and Eve it!

See my comment below to SC's comment, in light of Colman's (very positive) reaction to Vestas11' jury rig.

5 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Now THAT is how to do a BBQ.

"Any room on there for veggies?". "Fuck off, pussy".

5 hours ago, Varan said:

Poor bowman.

Tastes like chicken. 

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

If they do smell something, it will be wafting up from down south....the Argentine "Asado" 

1495521380278.jpg

7 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Under 50nm to go now. I'll bet they can smell the BBQed beef steak!

I introduced my houses guests to this thread, and they loved the barbecue picture and the above posts esp Sailbydate's re veggies.  We have all partaken in those South American barbecues and the pics and smells were palpable this far away. We also could not recall ever seeing any veggies on the barbies.  Better yet was picturing Sophie leading with her nose as a sort of prow in the bow and imagining Joan navigating the boat by those smells.

But the comment of the day goes to Stief and the Simpsons and the vegetable song. We are still laughing about that. 

21 hours ago, southerncross said:

I've seen some pretty incredible efforts by solo sailors and teams to recover from a damaged rig and continue the race.  Superhuman.  

We all know them.  http://www.thmartinez.com/folio/339/yves-parlier-vendee-globe-exclusives-images.html

But this is just pathetic.

I have to say, with all the resources Vestas has had at their disposal and by the way, the aforementioned didn't have, I'm not at all impressed with what they have come up with.  Fly a team in, a machine shop and diver?  And it's taken them how long?  A local yard in Bangladesh could have come up with something better.  Just lacks all the independence, ingenuity and resourcefulness we've seen in the past.  

SC:  I had to chuckle in light of your  and paps' above comments regarding Vestas11's jury rig when Colman, after they ran ONCE AGAIN the same shots of Vestas in Stanley, raved about the mast!

Edited by despacio avenue
typo; words missing
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, stief said:

Re interesting passages, like the SHKS delivery mentioned upthread.

This one also looks promising, Mad.

eXXpedition North Pacific 2018 is a pioneering all-female sailing expedition

Slight issue:P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Your 'science' as you call it is certainly "Weird Science" but sadly without Kelly LeBrock (look it up).

Kelly knows fuck all about RTW racing Shang.. actually closest she has got to a sailboat was doing this photo shoot...a 3 pipe fence...so obviously only a large commercial in-survey charter/drink more piss boat. Btw she auctioned off that top rail on EBay for a motza, so no dummy that girl.

I'm worried about your sleep patterns this side of the Hague..maybe try reading all of Randumb's posts..but please stop short of where they make you feel suicidal...you have enough on your plate with the "2/1 Itajai Hoodoo".

Kelly-LeBrock-Feet-1096141.jpg

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Hi Stief

(Post 4953) I can’t recall any navigation/seamanship awards this edition. I know there is the Inmarsat Media Award and the Omega 24 hour record in each leg.

Regarding Vestas – and I admit this is real thinking outside the box – why didn’t they ask (maybe they did and were turned down) if any of the yachts in the photos were laid up there for a while and offer to buy their rigs for the replacement and transport costs (and a few beers) -   Whole kit and caboodle including sails. Fabricate a new mast foot and they would have a rig twice the height of what they have fitted. The other boat in a few weeks would have a brand new rig on the way. I would go for that.

Might be totally stupid  - and of course depends what their budget is - but I think back to when Dongfeng lost the top section of their mast they bought a mainsail from a French cruising yacht in Ushaia, Martin Stromberg (who is a sailmaker) cut it down and off they went.

Sailbydate (Post 4961/4968) I don’t remember them switching mains at any point in the race but yes, my understanding is they have a second one they can just swap over.

Xabi and the rest if is crew are tough competitors. Only difference this leg has made is that Dongfeng will be looking over their scoreboard shoulder as well as their real shoulder as they have done for large parts of many of the legs so far in this edition. Up to them now to make the advantage stick instead of allowing Mapfre to wear them down as they have done in a number of legs so far – Game ON!

Stief (4976) I doubt if there are any gloaters there - they all kno . Every skipper will know that it is a case of “there but for the grace of god go I”. Certainly sailors will be depleted as a number have flown out for some R&R at home.

2 more races on after Mapfre’s arrival – races against time. Personally I fancy Scallywags chanced of arriving in time with an experienced crew coupled to normal motive power (sails) more than Vestas with a 75 horse diesel and a midget rig.

SS

I originally asked the question about awards but not really any wiser.

Anyway Vestas gets the Seamanship Fail for this leg and maybe the Edition..and a logistic fail fuckin big time medal if one was to exist. Maybe their stella Auckland show up exhausted all reserves?

By comparison Camper had a Chile pitstop in 2011/12, which for the V70's pitstops was the norm not the exception. Meanwhile Groupama lost their rig just after the Horn, they jury rigged and kept going. They ended up beating Camper.

Seems seamanship might be an issue on Vestas post HK/Chuny?

• Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

1 hour ago, mad said:

Slight issue:P

Could that be the phrase "pioneering all-female sailing expedition"?

It’s the all-female part, no space on board for me by the look of it.   :o

^ I miss Herman, and hope to see him in Den Haag!!!

7 Mapfre videos added to the Arrivals playlist, lots of languages to learn that are spoken in Spain:

• Like 2

All in all I thought the MAPFRE crew did a pretty good job on the repair. I didn't see any major telltale wrinkles extending in the sail from the edges or corners of the repair.

Sure it may of not been perfect, but they did a fair job considering the sail was repaired on deck.

Note the side and overhead views of the sail at the end of this video.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/8827.html

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, boomer said:

All in all I thought the MAPFRE crew did a pretty good job on the repair. I didn't see any major telltale wrinkles extending in the sail from the edges or corners of the repair.

Sure it may of not been perfect, but they did a fair job considering the sail was repaired on deck.

Note the side and overhead views of the sail at the end of this video.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/8827.html

Pretty incredible repair under the circumstances.  Definitely job well done to complete this leg by Mapfre and its team!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, stief said:

Good on DFRT greeting MAPF on the dock. Didi't see a hamburger.

McDonalds probably already closed :-)

• Like 2

Morning (well, here) Shang. 

Still catching up. Thanks for the confirmation about the other awards. When I checked the NOR and past editions  as per Jack's request, saw there "may" be some. this time. Figured you'd know since you told us you were at some of the award dinners. 

Enjoy your rest. Probably another close leg coming up.

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Kelly knows fuck all about RTW racing Shang.. actually closest she has got to a sailboat was doing this photo shoot...a 3 pipe fence...so obviously only a large commercial in-survey charter/drink more piss boat. Btw she auctioned off that top rail on EBay for a motza, so no dummy that girl.

I'm worried about your sleep patterns this side of the Hague..maybe try reading all of Randumb's posts..but please stop short of where they make you feel suicidal...you have enough on your plate with the "2/1 Itajai Hoodoo".

Kelly-LeBrock-Feet-1096141.jpg

What was it James Hardy said about sleeping like a baby? "I woke every 2 hours and cried". Mark you that was after a drubbing in the America's Cup from the American's.

Don't worry about my sleep patterns. What will be will be and I learned a long time ago that whether I am asleep or awake I cannot influence what is happening elsewhere in the world. Just looking forward to welcoming the guys (all teams) into Newport safely. Glad I am not superstitious otherwise your theorising might worry me however.....

Sleep well Jack, I can assure you I will.

SS

I don't know which is worse - running out of food, or looking at your instruments and seeing a negative VMG . . 

I think this is a great event - except for the casualties . . . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

^ I miss Herman, and hope to see him in Den Haag!!!

7 Mapfre videos added to the Arrivals playlist, lots of languages to learn that are spoken in Spain:

[subbed a time-stamped link] 
https://youtu.be/UA6qxq50FDo?list=PLHfZ45GKKMGLjDUCBPreCTTvbMPQ6TiAW&t=148

Re Herman, miss his posts too. btw, happened to notice some of his words about insurance. Might be relevant.

Thanks as ever, especially for the Tuke interview (I hadn't heard that one). So, no plans for any changes. Tuke seems in good spirits when he laughed and said:  "we've had some good team-building these last few days."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GER.Maintrimmer said:

Some nice toy to tinker with for the time between races and seasons

I'm worried Randumb will  run out of food and perish if he misses lunch and spends too much time at the wheel.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Vestas and her half- or third-rig:

If they do miss the start it is entirely their own fault. They took 8 days ashore to come up with that!!!

Conrad, Lisa Blair and countless other single handers have done better than that alone, at sea and in a fraction of the time.

Like stief my money is on Scally for this race.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

. Glad I am not superstitious otherwise your theorising might worry me however.....

Sleep well Jack, I can assure you I will.

Shang you keep forgetting.. I'm a Hoodoo Guru.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, mad said:

It’s the all-female part, no space on board for me by the look of it.   :o

A man of your obvious charm, I'm sure you'd be able to slip in there somewhere, Mad. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

A man of your obvious charm, I'm sure you'd be able to slip in there somewhere, Mad. ;)

No doubt.

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

If they do miss the start it is entirely their own fault. They took 8 days ashore to come up with that!!!

Conrad, Lisa Blair and countless other single handers have done better than that alone, at sea and in a fraction of the time.

Like stief my money is on Scally for this race.

I agree entirely, in fact the showing is so poor (they aren't even telling their followers much) that the thought crossed my mind that Vestas might just have said "you still want to go on with this, fine, but you do it alone, we're out"!

Would like to follow Scally but it doesn't appear to have a website only social media sites, anyone know?

Right now I'm firmly back in Dee's team camp. Her/their Leg 7 performance was spectacular. So if Potter is still reading, I take back any prior remarks that may have offended!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Retired Sailor said:

I agree entirely, in fact the showing is so poor (they aren't even telling their followers much) that the thought crossed my mind that Vestas might just have said "you still want to go on with this, fine, but you do it alone, we're out"!

Would like to follow Scally but it doesn't appear to have a website only social media sites, anyone know?

Right now I'm firmly back in Dee's team camp. Her/their Leg 7 performance was spectacular. So if Potter is still reading, I take back any prior remarks that may have offended!

I think this is what it looks like when the  sponsor says “the budget was the budget, and it didn’t include another $Xmm...”

it doesn’t mean anything more than that  (alleged) point.  It doesn’t mean Vestas isn’t super committed to the race or to the wind, or that the team is anything less than amazingly qualified.  

When you have to go to the CFO and ask for more money, there’s a point where it just doesn’t get approved.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Retired Sailor said:

Aside from the "one-design" VOR site for each team, which does not provide on-going race information, Team SHKS does appear to only have a Facebook page and a Twitter account.

• Like 2

Here's a vid from the 2012 edition that gives some context on the boat fixes, crew strain, and effort to get to the starting line in Brazil

• Like 3

And for the best repair job with no access to shore materials, tough to beat Abu Dhabi and Ian Walker's job shown here:

• Like 4

Add me to the list of people who think it's a shame there isn't more reportage on the Scallywag and Vestas delivery trips. As has been noted here, part of why we enjoy following these races is learning new geography. Who knew about that reef off Mauritius before 2014 for example? There is a whole thread here on SA started by Race to Alaska winner Randy of M32 fame speculating on whether you could run a R2Ak from from Puerto Montt to Punta Arenas. So it would be really cool to see pictures and updates from the region and even thoughts about Scallywag's trip down there. It would be a forum to reflect on the race, on the nature of adventure and to think about John Fisher and why we go to sea. And if members of the race crew wished to write about their thoughts on what happened, now would be a great time. As it is there is silence, then they pop up in Itajai and we go back to racing with no further comment on what happened? Except of course the press will then be pushing for stories from the crew and it will be unfortunate and awkward. 

I appreciate that filing stories and pictures at this point would take funding and logistics but as things stand I find it all unsatisfying. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Toy.jpg

Wow. They DO actually have a boom! Amazing.

5 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Add me to the list of people who think it's a shame there isn't more reportage on the Scallywag and Vestas delivery trips. As has been noted here, part of why we enjoy following these races is learning new geography. Who knew about that reef off Mauritius before 2014 for example? There is a whole thread here on SA started by Race to Alaska winner Randy of M32 fame speculating on whether you could run a R2Ak from from Puerto Montt to Punta Arenas. So it would be really cool to see pictures and updates from the region and even thoughts about Scallywag's trip down there. It would be a forum to reflect on the race, on the nature of adventure and to think about John Fisher and why we go to sea. And if members of the race crew wished to write about their thoughts on what happened, now would be a great time. As it is there is silence, then they pop up in Itajai and we go back to racing with no further comment on what happened? Except of course the press will then be pushing for stories from the crew and it will be unfortunate and awkward. 

I appreciate that filing stories and pictures at this point would take funding and logistics but as things stand I find it all unsatisfying. 

Couldn't agree more, something low key would have been appropriate. The handling of the whole thing could have been done better. I know all the side arguments but you either have /want followers or you don't. It's not a tap, where are your supporters supposed to go, on holiday?

I didn't know John although we shared a beautiful city. What I know of him and what I have learned here tells me he was a pretty amazing bloke.

How hard would it be to set up a few bloody facebook pages?

• Like 1

Leave the Scallywag media deficit update shit alone guys..it is essentially a private team and through the grace of God what they went through that is a blessing and so they are not compelled to upload their nightmare and beyond to either satisfy their supporters or the ghouls like Randumb & Co. Why would they do it?

On the other side of the professional coin and after their second fuck up Vestas really deserve sodomising in the sailing skills and media interaction department.

A team I have no longer any regard for both in seamanship and one looking for fan support. A total fail by any measure.

Charlie and Mark.. take up golf.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

What really bothered me about the Charlie and Mark show - really from the start - was that it has been clear that the entire driving idea behind what they have been doing has been - the Charlie and Mark show. When the pair of them flew out of the Falklands to "coordinate" things, leaving the rest of the crew to sort the boat out and then take it on the desperately slow delivery trip - whilst they luxuriated in Brazil, well it wasn't a good look. It is only because the sail drive failed that the crew have been given a respite and a delivery crew flown in. I would be more than happy to forgive any crew member that poured sand into the sail drive when presented with that level of leadership. Seems Charlie and Mark are quite happy for crew members to "take one for the team" because the "team" is Charlie and Mark. The rest of the crew are employees. Further, fan engagement is only of benefit for their sponsors, and doesn't seem to figure into their plans. 

This is a great pity. Vesta and 11th Hour deserve better. Especially Vestas, who have kept the faith beyond a point anyone could reasonably expect them too. I'll cheer on the boat, as I have respect for the sponsors. But hard to have much support for C&M. 

I do keep harping on this, but I continue to think there is a story worth pursuing with Henry Sténson. He is a board member of Vestas corporate, ex-senior member of Volvo AB, and the chairman of the board of the VOR (and was a member of the board of Ericsson when they were entrants.) If anyone can tell us about the Vestas connection, he can. A job for Clean, but he seems to have gone AWOL.