Editor

what was it?

10 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Anarchey IIII

that's Anarkey iv to you mister.

17 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Yeah, olde NM

I think it is a hopped up Carl Schumacher design.  Maybe a flush deck express 27 or Sonoma 30.

22 minutes ago, arco said:

A very unloved J24?

Too narrow for a J24. The stern has a good old IOR pinch. The keel looks like a mod once PHRF became the only game in town.

14 minutes ago, Never was said:

A Stephen Jones half-pounder. I dunno?

Not even close.  Now this is a Jones HT:

Demolition.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Demolition.jpg

How many people on a small boat is too many?

7 minutes ago, davethesailor said:

It's your new pet project.

7 minutes ago, davethesailor said:

It's your new pet project.

1 of my next 5 projects!IMG_0418.thumb.JPG.87effc3a696ee94fbe68b00b0701c1bb.JPG

Looks very similar to the N/M 25 Easy GO.    If I recall correctly there also was a G&S 26, sort of a mini version of the custom 30 I sail on that was kicking around Florida a bit ago.

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Anarchey IIII

I just named my dinghy Anarchy IIII  Scot has to name his next boat Anarchy 5  heh heh heh

1 hour ago, 12 metre said:

Demolition.jpg

Nice paint, but what an abortion. I see you haven't hazarded a guess. Pommies prefer to snipe

Easy-Go had about 1/2 the free-board.  And from what i remember, the first boat that was ever dropped at Jabins yard was Easy-go.  And they fixed it.  and then the 2nd boat they ever dropped was ....

It actually reminds me of Invincible, NM 30.  I raced on Spencer's basterardized J/29, Resurrection, for 5 or 6 seasons.  Invincible was unstoppable, fast as shit.  MORC was awesome in the day.

4 hours ago, Editor said:

what-was-it-3-18.jpg

Whaddaya got, genius?

Doug Peterson Half Tonner ?? 

Definitely MORC, the lines just scream it. Maybe an Andrews design, but I'm with the others, a N/M or G/S.

But, no clue as to it's actual identity.

1 hour ago, Gbrungra said:

What is the boat in this photo?

Demolition.

Although not as wild looking as the QT he designed for Jack Knights circa 1972 - the aptly named Odd Job

Most people find his designs grotesque, but I appreciated his attempts at bending IOR.

show_image2.jpg

show_image14.jpg

2 hours ago, Never was said:

Nice paint, but what an abortion. I see you haven't hazarded a guess. Pommies prefer to snipe

Wrong continent.

Based on the recently posted photo of the transom, almost certainly a MORC design, likely a MORC-Maxi.

Would not expect it to be the N/M 25 Easy Go since she was advertised and sold on here just a couple of years ago and at the time looked to be in very good condition.

Stern is more rounded with a hint of deadrise than would be typical of a N/M or Andrews MORC design.  All of the Andrews 30s I've seen have a more substantial cabin.

So i'll rule out N/M or Andrews and go with Peterson.  Either a Pinnacle 29 or Adhara 30

On the topic of MORC-Maxis, here's one that most people will have a hard time identifying,,,

2116566_1.jpg

davidson30.jpg

1 hour ago, captpiratedog said:

A beat  up soto 30

Soto 30, not even close:

This is a Soto 30

5a97c05be4197_Soto30.thumb.jpg.a9afce8a7c7b68b2fe71ef696da7bb46.jpg

Peterson 1/4 tonner?

I don't know but I should have bought the Hobie!

Why guess what it is?  Let me know where it is and how much the owner wants for it.  I need a 4th boat to test my wife’s tolerance!  

With the boats that unloved, I’d save the roadster in the shed

5 minutes ago, malisch said:

looks like the same yard in Fla  I bought a Soverel 26 for $500 n  some  motorcycle parts

It's a divorce settlement. She insisted on his beloved boat as part of the settlement. Naturally she had no intention to use it but gained great pleasure emailing pics year after year. 

Not sure of the design but the general condition look a lot like the WIlderness 30 Special Edition when I purchased her 4 years ago.

It is Mace. Not as bad as it looks. As a hobby we redo old morc boats. Just gave Mace to Steve Shaw who has the same disease. Condition is only cosmetic. I would powder blast this boat and start over. Cool old boats that need saved. 

• Like 2

I knew it was MACE because I sailed on it with the original owner.

Care to venture what MACE stood for? Its an acronym....

MACE stood for Wild Ass C**** Eater. She was named by the owner's son as I remember. She was built by Lindsay and was quite hi-tech for her day. 

12 minutes ago, GTim said:

so when we raced against it at the morc na's back in the day out of newport beach i believe, one of my more insane and likely the highest out of all of us (and that was one hell of a feat), he looked over at M.A.C.E. and dubbed it Mad Assholes against CheesE, and forever that name will be etched in my brain....

11 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Wrong continent.

Based on the recently posted photo of the transom, almost certainly a MORC design, likely a MORC-Maxi.

Would not expect it to be the N/M 25 Easy Go since she was advertised and sold on here just a couple of years ago and at the time looked to be in very good condition.

Stern is more rounded with a hint of deadrise than would be typical of a N/M or Andrews MORC design.  All of the Andrews 30s I've seen have a more substantial cabin.

So i'll rule out N/M or Andrews and go with Peterson.  Either a Pinnacle 29 or Adhara 30

On the topic of MORC-Maxis, here's one that most people will have a hard time identifying,,,

2116566_1.jpg

davidson30.jpg

This is definitely a Gary Mull design. Late 80's or very early 90's. Is it the original keel? My guess is the white boat is also a Mull design. perhaps an earlier MORC design than the dark hull pictured above?

Change the Keel, Mast and Rudder and rate it 126;)

3 minutes ago, USA 5184 said:

This is definitely a Gary Mull design. Late 80's or very early 90's. Is it the original keel? My guess is the white boat is also a Mull design. perhaps an earlier MORC design than the dark hull pictured above?

Definitely not.

Jaded had it right.  It is a Davidson 30 MORC-Maxi.  Built for John MacLaurin of Pendragon fame 

Named Stardance when it was in California.  It was sold into the PNW and re-named Dangerous When Wet.  Great photo of it in a spectacular wipeout at WIRW a few years ago.  Winch tore out of the deck (she is a woody) a few years ago and haven't heard anything of her since.

AFAIK, that is the original keel, circa 1984 or 85.

3 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Definitely not.

Jaded had it right.  It is a Davidson 30 MORC-Maxi.  Built for John MacLaurin of Pendragon fame 

Named Stardance when it was in California.  It was sold into the PNW and re-named Dangerous When Wet.  Great photo of it in a spectacular wipeout at WIRW a few years ago.  Winch tore out of the deck (she is a woody) a few years ago and haven't heard anything of her since.

Interesting, was the 29 a cruiser/racer variant? http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3568

25 minutes ago, USA 5184 said:

Interesting, was the 29 a cruiser/racer variant? http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3568

Not really.  The 29s came out about 5 years later.  Could have been designed with MORC in mind.  The D30 displaced about 4500 lb while the D29 had a design displacement of about 5700 lbs, but they came in overweight by around 1500 lb.  From talking with one of the people involved in the original project, the wooden plug boat came in lighter than the FRP one.

Only 2 D29s were built.  I was told this was due to an under-capitalized builder and the 2 partly finished boats were spirited out of the shop in the middle of the night and finished off elsewhere.  Other reason was they were over-priced at the time.  I think they were to be built for USD 90-100K.

But great cruiser/racer.  Bit of a PNW legend.  Huge interior with full standing headroom and enormous rig.  A bit faster than a J/29 but with an actual cruising interior.  too bad only two were built.  A guy in Port Townsend has the hull and deck molds and would love to build a few more - if anyone is interested in a 25 year old design.  Could probably swing a pretty good deal since the guy has almost zero overhead costs.

• Like 1

Starsn (Newbie) you are correct. And have you complied with the newbie initiation ritual yet? If not, get 'em out!

And FMRMSR....you are nearly there. The name was supposed to be Mean Ass C**t Eaters.

Ed...Since the boat was presumably purchased by a wealthy dad and sailed by a young son with varying levels of sailmakers, etc on board, we affectionately dubbed it Money for Affluent Children's Entertainment.

• Like 1

Come to Sailing Anarchy,  get the whole story !

MORC really made for some cool boats. 

That Davidson 29 reminds me more than a bit of the Lidgard 29 - another boat with an awesome interior for a sub-30 footer that sails very well.

Have but the slightest...Cal 40, Likely not; just my first thought. Second was lottsa work...even if free. 

1 hour ago, 12 metre said:

Definitely not.

12 metre - the sage of English Bay...

The boat was named Stardancer. MacLaurin didn't name it one of the Pendragons because it didn't have an inboard engine and not built for offshore racing. I packed it up in MDR and got it trucked up to Seattle as part of the DWW team.

WIRW wipeout was epic and spurred an e-conversation between Davidson and myself regarding the rudder. I was driving when the winch pulled in a buoy race off Shilshole. Got it fixed by Henderson and better than new. It's a fantastic boat. Keel is original.

MACE looks like a candidate for a complete reno. I'd go the U.K. QT route and frac it with MH spin.

-Snap

5a985c605ef94_DWWHike(2).thumb.jpg.84311249f088a6e53e9eadbde4b9a813.jpg

4 hours ago, Topmast said:

Overly optimistic...

Not at all been restoring boats for 20 years. Daunting I guess if your not able to do the work yourself. I have the shop and the knowledge. If the structure is sound how looks is really irrelevant. The process is the same. Someone asked “how do the get so wrecked”. They are over 30 years old. Good news here is that it hasn’t been used hard for quite some time. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Snapper said:

12 metre - the sage of English Bay...

The boat was named Stardancer. MacLaurin didn't name it one of the Pendragons because it didn't have an inboard engine and not built for offshore racing. I packed it up in MDR and got it trucked up to Seattle as part of the DWW team.

WIRW wipeout was epic and spurred an e-conversation between Davidson and myself regarding the rudder. I was driving when the winch pulled in a buoy race off Shilshole. Got it fixed by Henderson and better than new. It's a fantastic boat. Keel is original.

MACE looks like a candidate for a complete reno. I'd go the U.K. QT route and frac it with MH spin.

-Snap

5a985c605ef94_DWWHike(2).thumb.jpg.84311249f088a6e53e9eadbde4b9a813.jpg

Oops...that was a typo.  Yes, Stardancer

That explains why she wasn't given the Pendragon moniker.  I had thought perhaps it was because she wasn't an IOR boat.

I was looking at Kokopele back in the fall of '08 after the asking price was reduced to a reasonable amount.  Went down to have a look at her and took an offer sheet home with me so I could sleep on  it.  The next day the CAD went down $.03 vs the USD so figured I'd wait a couple of days till it bounced back.  Bottomed out a few days later down $0.10.  By the time it bounced back in the spring she had sold.

After that I had my eyes on Stardancer (although an entirely different boat) but I waited a bit too long for the price to drop and someone from Seattle snagged it.  Never got to see her in the flesh but she looked to be immaculately kept from the photos at the time.

So I had the rug pulled out from me on a couple of Davidsons.  But I did end up with a Davo - just not one of these two gems.

The rudder thing seems to be a problem for all of Davidsons PNW designs.  Kokopele has a new rudder (and bulb keel) and the owner of the other D29 is looking at one as well.  Quite a few of the Dash 34s have new ones as well.  I think it is mainly due to LD trying to reduce WS for PNW conditions, but perhaps going a bit far.  You also have to realize Stardancer's rig was bumped a couple  more feet from her MORC config.  And the stock Dash rudder is just plain small and deplorable.  I've heard rumours the Dash rudder wasn't even designed by LD.   That the builder was trying to save a few bucks and that it was taken from an existing mold in the Spencer yard.  Although a more plausible explanation is that 1981 was early days of transitioning from trapezoidal to elliptical rudders and this was an early and rather crude attempt at that.  But still too small regardless.

I have a photo of the WIRW crash on my PC at home.  I'll try to post her up tonight.

MACE -- Damn - Been wracking my brain all day trying to remember that boat -- Raced against it a bunch on Lake Erie with Original Cleveland YC Crew....There was a lot of fun that followed that boat back in the day!   That boat / Design GREW into the Maxi MORC designs Especially the G&S //  N/M ones of Risky Business, Zoo, Easy GO and eventually Invincible.  Canada Cup using Maxi MORC rule boats for a few cycles didn't hurt -- That's what really gave us Invincible, with Larry Klein at the helm...MACE is a piece of MORC history...circa 1989 or so?!  Looking forward to seeing how she is resurrected! Pretty sure after MACE he had a very early J39 for a year and then went broke, as my memory serves??

Cobra was the original G&S 25 in 1987 out of CYC in Cleveland.

36 minutes ago, jww said:

Cobra was the original G&S 25 in 1987 out of CYC in Cleveland.

Damnit. My 80s memory failed again.  

Cobra and MACE were sisters though?  

Both were badass fast compared to anything else in MORC B. Knocked Little Feat off kilter....

MIKIE. 

3 hours ago, F'g Dinosaur said:

how do they get so wrecked ?   has no one heard of tarps ?   that is a sad pic .....

how many tarps do you have on the dear madame? shes been out of the water for a while now, no? hate to see all the hard work the boys at northshore put in go to shit.

Cobra was designed and built for Mark Paulsen out of CYC. Mace was a sistership bought for a kid in Erie (as mentioned above) about a year later. 

MORC on the Great Lakes was a lot of fun in those days. 

4 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Definitely not.

I was on board for that wipeout at WIRW. It was fairly epic.

7 hours ago, GTim said:

Mean Ass Cunt Eaters

Like I said earlier, Great looking Trailer.

$750.00

Is this what SA has come too??
Old photos and nostalgia?
Where is the Schnizel??

6 hours ago, Big Stuff said:

Perhaps this?

img754a.jpg

Kirby 1/4 Ton

not a capo...maybe G&S which I love but transom is Alan A 26 ish

10 hours ago, BobBill said:

Have but the slightest...Cal 40, Likely not; just my first thought. Second was lottsa work...even if free. 

What on earth prompted you to say that?

You need to cite one single attribute of that photo that makes you think Cal 40. I'm only asking for one.

• Like 1

I have a feeling this may have been already posted a year or 2 ago, but as promised, here's a photo of the Davo 30 (Dangerous When Wet) crash 'n burn at WIRW several years ago.  Certainly seemed like an appropriate name at that moment...:blink:

IIRC, that is a half submerged Nice! hanging on for dear life

96888779238281829304.jpg