Editor

what was it?

The boat is MACE.  Someone wanted to know what the two boats in the background are.  The boat on the right is a Creekmore 22 Daggerboard.  Got this boat and trailer with a swap of a Johnson outboard that I had not ever used or started.  Motor may have been okay, but I don't know for sure.  Made a full disclosure to the guy I did the swap with.  I have given this boat to a friend of mine who intends to rehab the boat.  The boat on the left is a 1969 Venture.  I intend to keep and rehab this boat.  I will turbo it in the same manner as Bill Brennan did to his boat in Oregon with the exception of the spinnaker.  I intend to put a sprit on the boat and go Assym versus Sym.  Killer PHRF boat.  My sons and I are nut cases and like the older boats.  If I can find a boat that interests us and I can get it for almost nothing, then we go for it.   By the way, we just bought a completely rehabbed Creekmore 22 from the Dabney's in Alabama.  We are going in a different direction concerning boat types.  No fixed keel again.  No balsa, ever.  Max 24 feet.  Time to get the grandkids into the race scene and size makes a difference.  We also have a completely rehabbed Kiwi mini-tonner.  Now here's the real winning attribute of our follies in boating.  We get to meet some of the most interesting people.  For example, bought a J22 for $500.00.  Put about $2,000 into the boat and she was perfect.  Bought the boat from a guy from Florida named Bob Dudinsky.  What a genius.  He now makes RC boats, and they are beautiful.  He was the tool maker for KIWI yachts (think Kialoa) and unknown to us, the KIWI mini-tonner that we have was originally his boat.  Now we sell the Hobie to Steve Shaw, who is a Fox News guy.  And he is as crazy as we are.  What a genuinely nice man.  By the way, this Hobie is a really good boat.  We've had it in the 15 knot range and solid as can be.  Then we buy a Creekmore from the Dabney's in Alabama.  Well as it turns out (David, the father) built the Creekmores in Alabama.  He and his son Chris are now our best friends.  I'm a Creekmore junkie, and they know Lee Creekmore.  We are going to do a Race up there and they are going to introduce me to Lee.  Small world isn't it.  So, sorry to go rambling on, but there are hobbies and then there are crazy hobbies.  I guess you could label our hobby as crazy.  So, if anyone out there has an older MORC type boat (not fixed keel) and they want to get rid of it.  Call me a 561-444-2787 and test just how crazy I am.  Love Sailing Anarchy.  Best Sailing site on the net.   Here is our inventory.  Creekmore 23 (fixed keel), Evelyn 26 flush deck, Creekmore 22 (daggerboard), KIWI mini-tonner (lift keel), Sunfish, Venture 21, San Juan 21.

On the Venture, I hope you can keep the hull to deck joint together without having to do too much rebuilding first.

On 3/1/2018 at 10:51 AM, Editor said:

so when we raced against it at the morc na's back in the day out of newport beach i believe, one of my more insane and likely the highest out of all of us (and that was one hell of a feat), he looked over at M.A.C.E. and dubbed it Mad Assholes against CheesE, and forever that name will be etched in my brain....

Speaking of Newport NA's......MACE in happier times/condition.....check out the copyright stamps on the photo! lol....

9229_1114735110384_1287121858_30290961_189721_n.jpg

On 3/4/2018 at 7:16 AM, akeeley4834 said:

The boat is MACE.  Someone wanted to know what the two boats in the background are.  The boat on the right is a Creekmore 22 Daggerboard.  Got this boat and trailer with a swap of a Johnson outboard that I had not ever used or started.  Motor may have been okay, but I don't know for sure.  Made a full disclosure to the guy I did the swap with.  I have given this boat to a friend of mine who intends to rehab the boat.  The boat on the left is a 1969 Venture.  I intend to keep and rehab this boat.  I will turbo it in the same manner as Bill Brennan did to his boat in Oregon with the exception of the spinnaker.  I intend to put a sprit on the boat and go Assym versus Sym.  Killer PHRF boat.  My sons and I are nut cases and like the older boats.  If I can find a boat that interests us and I can get it for almost nothing, then we go for it.   By the way, we just bought a completely rehabbed Creekmore 22 from the Dabney's in Alabama.  We are going in a different direction concerning boat types.  No fixed keel again.  No balsa, ever.  Max 24 feet.  Time to get the grandkids into the race scene and size makes a difference.  We also have a completely rehabbed Kiwi mini-tonner.  Now here's the real winning attribute of our follies in boating.  We get to meet some of the most interesting people.  For example, bought a J22 for $500.00.  Put about $2,000 into the boat and she was perfect.  Bought the boat from a guy from Florida named Bob Dudinsky.  What a genius.  He now makes RC boats, and they are beautiful.  He was the tool maker for KIWI yachts (think Kialoa) and unknown to us, the KIWI mini-tonner that we have was originally his boat.  Now we sell the Hobie to Steve Shaw, who is a Fox News guy.  And he is as crazy as we are.  What a genuinely nice man.  By the way, this Hobie is a really good boat.  We've had it in the 15 knot range and solid as can be.  Then we buy a Creekmore from the Dabney's in Alabama.  Well as it turns out (David, the father) built the Creekmores in Alabama.  He and his son Chris are now our best friends.  I'm a Creekmore junkie, and they know Lee Creekmore.  We are going to do a Race up there and they are going to introduce me to Lee.  Small world isn't it.  So, sorry to go rambling on, but there are hobbies and then there are crazy hobbies.  I guess you could label our hobby as crazy.  So, if anyone out there has an older MORC type boat (not fixed keel) and they want to get rid of it.  Call me a 561-444-2787 and test just how crazy I am.  Love Sailing Anarchy.  Best Sailing site on the net.   Here is our inventory.  Creekmore 23 (fixed keel), Evelyn 26 flush deck, Creekmore 22 (daggerboard), KIWI mini-tonner (lift keel), Sunfish, Venture 21, San Juan 21.

Nice report akeeley. I did the plug for the deck of the Creekmore 22 as well as the interiors and foils for the first three boats. Pretty exciting times when the boat won the MORC Nats with Dabney and Brennan in charge. Too bad the rule change killed the success of the daggerboard boats the next year. You will get a kick out of meeting Lee. 

On 3/5/2018 at 2:45 PM, finnweb said:

Speaking of Newport NA's......MACE in happier times/condition.....check out the copyright stamps on the photo! lol....

9229_1114735110384_1287121858_30290961_189721_n.jpg

Dude, that's awesome you were able to find a pic.  I might actually think about returning it to its original paint scheme!

Mace  yes do orig paint, maybe alter tint? Have always thought 1/4 tonners were the best "peoples" boat ever...I recall one favorite of many nice boats; Mace seems like it. Looks like fun project, you have the time and moola.

6 hours ago, BobBill said:

Mace  yes do orig paint, maybe alter tint? Have always thought 1/4 tonners were the best "peoples" boat ever...I recall one favorite of many nice boats; Mace seems like it. Looks like fun project, you have the time and moola.

Time and moola...What's that?  I have 9 boats now and they're all projects in one way or another.

Big yard, besides time and moola...all boats are projects, some more than others.