BboySlug

What a money pit!

I know sailing costs a lot of money, no matter what scale you sail on. Big boats, small boats, high performance boats, or repairing old boats they all cost a lot. 

I also know sailors also have other hobbies which can be money pits. So, I wanted to hear your stories. What is your money pit (sailing or not), how much goes into it, and why do you keep spending irrational amounts of money on it? 

Yes, your ex (or current) girlfriend story is also eligible. 

GO!

3 hours ago, sail(plane) said:

Some have a porsche and 20 mill to spend on it

Wait, wait(!)  the engine you're running, the just rebuilt engine you have ready to insert when the current engine blows up, and the 3rd engine that is almost rebuilt to replace the second engine when it blows up?  

What price performance? 

I knew a guy who got out of sailing because it was too expensive.

He decided to go buy a horse or 2 instead.

Once again, sailing doesn't cost anything, essentially free. Have a yacht, have x amount of money at the end of the year. Sell yacht, still have the same amount of money at the end of the year, therefore yachts don't cost anything. 

(Here in nz a yacht is a sailboat)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BboySlug said:

I know sailing costs a lot of money, no matter what scale you sail on. Big boats, small boats, high performance boats, or repairing old boats they all cost a lot.

People who should know better should stop perpetuating this myth, which does a disservice to our sport (we should be trying to attract people to sailing, not discouraging them).

Like almost all other pastimes, sailing can cost a lot but it doesn’t have to. Join a community club and it is virtually free. Owning a modest sailing dinghy - not the latest and greatest, with new sails twice a season, but something simple like a Mirror - is quite inexpensive. Or if you want to experience well-equipped keelboats or yachts, just race on someone else’s boat: owners are always looking for enthusiastic crew.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, egon said:

I knew a guy who got out of sailing because it was too expensive.

He decided to go buy a horse or 2 instead.

He chose......... unwisely

FB- Doug

• Like 3

Keeping tires on a roadracing motorcycle!

Sailing is my main outlet and consumes most of my "hobby" dollars. The boat consumes as much or as little as I choose to put into it.

I did recently buy an Indian motorcycle, but I'm just going to ride it and maintain it, same as any automobile. I don't intend to tear it all down and throw thousands of dollars at it in custom parts.  I don't consider it a hobby or a great consumer of my discretionary dollars.

Ultimate money pit is the government at all levels........they take gobs of your money for nothing in return..........it is a black hole with no accountability..........somehow they all dress nicely and live in nice houses and eat at nice restaurants.......now that's a hobby.

• Like 7
  • Downvote 6

Boobs can be expensive 

leanne_crow_bikini3.jpg

• Downvote 1

I suspect those are profitable.

4 minutes ago, IStream said:

I suspect those are profitable.

depends on who is paying for them 

The pimp gets the profit and the hooker gets the tip before the shaft

1 hour ago, F'g Dinosaur said:

Ultimate money pit is the government at all levels........they take gobs of your money for nothing in return..........it is a black hole with no accountability..........somehow they all dress nicely and live in nice houses and eat at nice restaurants.......now that's a hobby.

This is why you moved to Somalia, right :rolleyes:

• Like 2

i know a couple: he was into sailing, she is into fashion.

the fashion hobby (including plastic surgery & personal trainers) ended up costing so much he had to give up sailing on his own boat.

"the way I look at it I can sail on other boats and I've still got a great looking wife"

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BboySlug said:

I also know sailors also have other hobbies which can be money pits. So, I wanted to hear your stories. What is your money pit (sailing or not), how much goes into it, and why do you keep spending irrational amounts of money on it? 

GO!

Sailing is my main money pit. Flying runs a close second and would be in first place if I had bit on the offer of a Cessna 310 "for a great price of only $16,000" that was just about to need two new engines :o

I learned early on about automotive money pits with an old Porsche that swallowed a valve guide the same week I bought it :angry:

motorcycles. some for riding and some for customizing etc 

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

Sailing is my main outlet and consumes most of my "hobby" dollars. The boat consumes as much or as little as I choose to put into it.

I did recently buy an Indian motorcycle, but I'm just going to ride it and maintain it, same as any automobile. I don't intend to tear it all down and throw thousands of dollars at it in custom parts.  I don't consider it a hobby or a great consumer of my discretionary dollars.

I think that's the Kiwi's point. You'd drop the same amount on a hobby, no matter the hobby. many of us choose sailing as that hobby. I could easily spend the same amount I spend on boat(s) by getting that new alfa romeo Giulia Quad, hitting the golf course, and buying all my shit at nordstroms. instead, I have a 12 year old SUV, last played golf when a Bush was president, and don't mind Nordstrom Rack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

This is why you moved to Somalia, right :rolleyes:

or New Hampshire.

• Like 1

Sailing is a passion for some, including me, so any money that goes into it is denied, forgotten about, justified, hidden, deemed irrelevant, prioritised etc. No matter how wealthy you are boats can be more  expensive than you are comfortable with just ask larry. 

There is no reason to believe that sailors are any better at living within their means than anyone else. Why the entire concept of living within one's means is un-American!

I used to fly before I discovered sailboats, not enough money to do both (sailing won)

6 hours ago, Parma said:

i know a couple: he was into sailing, she is into fashion.

the fashion hobby (including plastic surgery & personal trainers) ended up costing so much he had to give up sailing on his own boat.

"the way I look at it I can sail on other boats and I've still got a great looking wife"

Ok, but what's wrong with sailing on your own boat and banging other people's wifes?

There was a time when I was bankrolling horses and boats and flying and houses and university and cars for the whole family, and an ex.

I don't spend anything anymore, by comparison.

6 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I learned early on about automotive money pits with an old Porsche that swallowed a valve guide the same week I bought it :angry:

I used to think multisyllabic Italian and expensive meant Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Bertone, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, De Tomaso, Bugatti...

Then I got married and learned about, Bottega Veneta, Alberto Fermani, Dolce & Gabbana, Valentino, Versace, Salvatore  Ferragamo, Gucci, Giorgio Armani...which cumulatively were much more expensive.

10 hours ago, Svanen said:

Owning a modest sailing dinghy - not the latest and greatest, with new sails twice a season, but something simple like a Mirror - is quite inexpensive.

Good to go!

• Like 1

Bought a two-year old Laser (still in great shape) and (Trailex) trailer for 4K. By now, more than ten years later, I have spent an additional 1K for new sails and a nicer extension. 

That averages to $500 a year. Draw your own conclusions regarding the topic of this thread...

PS: The Olympics were never on my schedule.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BboySlug said:

GO!

My sailing habit is cheap. Keeping a 30 year old toy truck going costs way more. It’s all about how and what you do. A blanket statement that sailing is expensive is stupid. 

F74391E1-258C-4FBC-8F19-46F3C22E5423.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

With trains it's the overhead, not the direct costs. Once you get serious, you need to dedicate 100+ square feet of living space.

this is one of many i have built , currently makes 1300hp at 110psi of boost , this video was made at 90psi of boost during initial testing .

• Downvote 1

another project we just finished

• Downvote 1

then i have this for my midlife crisis, 997.1 on E85 and Big Turbos :

AeroWing.JPG

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, bigrpowr said:

AeroWing.JPG

996 or 997 with a Syvecs ecu, and a big turbo and a built transmission (not always still awd) 100-200khm around 3 seconds.

I did a more modest 400+whp AWB subaru station wagon with an EFR7163, FMIC and meth injection. 

• Downvote 1

My sailing habit (formerly Hinckley, now Brooklin custom) costs me nothing. It's my kid's money, I just haven't had the good manners to die and leave it to them yet.

I rode in a friends Bugatti a couple of weeks ago. I'd rather have another nice guitar.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Elegua said:

996 or 997 with a Syvecs ecu, and a big turbo and a built transmission (not always still awd) 100-200khm around 3 seconds.

I did a more modest 400+whp AWB subaru station wagon with an EFR7163, FMIC and meth injection. 

996 will not make the power a 997 will without a lot more work. 997 doesnt need an ecu . i have alot of other supporting mods , but stock engine, and it makes 675hp to the wheels, at 3200 lbs .. it's pretty fast.

• Downvote 1

Frogman+Rocket+Trike.jpg?format=750w

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, bigrpowr said:

996 will not make the power a 997 will without a lot more work. 997 doesnt need an ecu . i have alot of other supporting mods , but stock engine, and it makes 675hp to the wheels, at 3200 lbs .. it's pretty fast.

3 sec or less from a steady100 to 200kmh is plenty fast for me. Yes, these cars are great value for money and can put out 800whp and still be a reasonable street cars. We did the ECU swap because you gain so much more control over the tune vs stock. What impressed me most about the Porsche vs other makes was the cooling capacity that came OEM. Mind you we were running these cars in a sub-tropical climate.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

AeroWing.JPG

Okay, your dick is bigger.

• Like 2

Anything can be expensive! I have 7 surfboards, photography is another spendy one. I want to get into firearms and shooting, good god is that money! Ammo and range fees are no cheap date. I used to ride horses, ya know that those things need to be fed a few times a day?! Lets not even talk about vet bills, cheaper to shoot em when they get sick.

Sailing can be damn cheap. If your not racing and just farting around you can pick up a $1,500 laser and store it in your garage. the only cost is time and fuel.

5 hours ago, Ross said:

Anything can be expensive! I have 7 surfboards, photography is another spendy one. I want to get into firearms and shooting, good god is that money! Ammo and range fees are no cheap date. I used to ride horses, ya know that those things need to be fed a few times a day?! Lets not even talk about vet bills, cheaper to shoot em when they get sick.

Sailing can be damn cheap. If your not racing and just farting around you can pick up a $1,500 laser and store it in your garage. the only cost is time and fuel.

And if you ARE racing, and have any experience, or willingness to learn, you will have no limit on the FREE SAILING that is available out there, almost anywhere in the world.  Part of the reason many say the sport is dying, is because there are thousands of racing skippers all over the world, who have a hard time finding 4-7 reliable, amiable crew.  If you are able bodied, and will show up ALL the time, and maybe bring some rum or beer, you will be in demand, anywhere in the world there is casual club racing.  I do a couple hundred races each year from march to December in SE CT, on One Design and PHRF.  My wife joins me for PHRF Wednesday nights, and for the Tuesday Ladies night Series.  Our only cost is the vehicle expense to drive to the boat and back, and beer or whatever adult beverage you can bring and share, maybe some snacks or other treats, like homemade cookies.  Unless you stumble upon a teetotaling crew, which I have yet to find in 40+ years racing.  Hell, the owners even buy be shirts and fleece jackets, with their boat name and sail number embroidered on the left breast area.

OPB's!  Other Peoples Boats - Poor Mans way to race all year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, condor said:

Okay, your dick is bigger.

not sure how that is relevant to your insecurities, but i like fast cars, and my car is fast and fun, and my wife is happy, so maybe you're right. 

I have a 1935 ford roadster that's becoming a suckhole

20130421_185935_zps9c7aebbd.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/2/2018 at 10:05 AM, VWAP said:

Boobs can be our expensive

leanne_crow_bikini3.jpg

Fixte                                                :)

1 hour ago, shavdog said:

Hey, had a glue-up model of that when I was a kid.  A bit weird to think that my cars are now older than that “old timey” car was when I built the model.  :unsure:

1 hour ago, shavdog said:

Good looking ride but I'd paint those fenders black.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IStream said:

Sendim a quotte.                         :)

Sailing is cheap if you define it as a boat of some kind with at least one sail of some kind that floats and moves.

If cash is in short supply, do NOT get a boat that can't come home on or behind your car.

3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:
4 hours ago, IStream said:

Sendim a quotte.                         :)

Opinions are free.

Nope, just telling him to do it. I'm a much better opiner than painter. ;)

Cheaper by a lot to have a 40er wood sailboat designed, built and name it Amati....

• Like 3

19 hours ago, IStream said:
21 hours ago, shavdog said:

And side pipes

I had one of these, too..... only mine was a Matchbox model

FB- Doug

Not sure about that car - it doesn't have expensive or unusual tech in it, does it?

I talked to a guy with an AC Cobra replica that had a stock Ford V8 351 in it (stock as in ordered last week, not stock 1965) and he said it was as reliable as an anvil.

That 35 is a fiberglas car with a 350zz3 motor...it's very 50's looking with the pleated interior....it gets a lot of attn. at car shows....wanna buy it?

Surprised no one has mentioned helicopter skiing. I have skied all over the world, have earned plenty of my turns through hiking or climbing, bt Heli skiing is like crack cocaine.

It will empty bank accounts and break up marriages but damn it feels so nice.

• Like 1

Yup..expensive....

i just spend 4 thousand..... safety equipment inspection  and replacement .

I've transitioned from sailing to cycling over the last few years, sold my boat last year after 15 years and must say I'm still enjoying the break from boat ownership.  And the bank account benefits from it every month.  I reckon I've spent about $8K total on cycling over the last 4-1/2 years, and this includes $4K for a brand new bike last month.  That's less than one year of what it cost to keep the boat!

But the real money-pit is higher education X 4 kids.  4 bachelor degrees and 1 DVM (all at in-state public universities) - about $600K!

On 3/2/2018 at 9:00 AM, Ajax said:

How old an Indian?  Gilroy era or 50s? 

2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

How old an Indian?  Gilroy era or 50s? 

It's new.  Polaris water cooled plant.  This:

2016-indian-scout-buyers-guide.jpg

Flying... While not cheap, it is still cheaper for the year than trying to pay for the per-race costs of offshore of a couple offshore races... let alone the basic maintenance of the boat which i mostly didn't need to pay for. So, OPB's for me - which i am 100% ok with for not needing to stress about the organization of racing and the money involved. And climbing - which is the fucking cheapest hobby i've ever picked up. An expensive month i might buy a cam or two for a wopping $120...total. Can't even ski for a weekend on that for daily passes - at least on the shitty local mountain near me. 

4 minutes ago, Ajax said:

It's new.  Polaris water cooled plant.  This:

2016-indian-scout-buyers-guide.jpg

I was really tempted by that - great engine - good handling.  The ergos were a bit cramped for me, but man that thing would go! 

10 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I was really tempted by that - great engine - good handling.  The ergos were a bit cramped for me, but man that thing would go! 

It does go.  25hp more than my old Warrior 1700 and weighs 75 lbs. less. Jury's still out on which handles better in the corners. I'm thinking the Yammy might have the edge.

The Scout is just a pleasant way to get to/from work during the warmer months. It gets me home to the boat faster. ;)

1 hour ago, CruiserJim said:

I've transitioned from sailing to cycling over the last few years, sold my boat last year after 15 years and must say I'm still enjoying the break from boat ownership.  And the bank account benefits from it every month.  I reckon I've spent about $8K total on cycling over the last 4-1/2 years, and this includes $4K for a brand new bike last month.  That's less than one year of what it cost to keep the boat!

But the real money-pit is higher education X 4 kids.  4 bachelor degrees and 1 DVM (all at in-state public universities) - about $600K!

Amen to the higher education. 2 private undergrad degrees, partial support in Med School for one as well... insane numbers...

Nice one Ajax.  I like the new Scouts - definitely give a new Sportster a run for the money !

Another one of my money suckholes....

mainNV5O093I (2).jpg

On 3/5/2018 at 2:22 PM, Lono said:
On 3/5/2018 at 12:25 PM, CruiserJim said:

Amen to the higher education. 2 private undergrad degrees, partial support in Med School for one as well... insane numbers...

Supposed to have a good return on investment though. Or at least, it beats most alternatives I know of. Good on you all

One of my buddies at work, after his eldest's first year at college: "It's like buying a new Beemer with every option you can think of, and driving it off a cliff. And I get to do it at least 3 more times in the next few years!"

FB- Doug

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

One of my buddies at work, after his eldest's first year at college: "It's like buying a new Beemer with every option you can think of, and driving it off a cliff. And I get to do it at least 3 more times in the next few years!"

I'm pleased that Cruiser Jim raised this issue.

It's strange how most people consider a decision to spend significant money on hobbies to be irresponsible and immature ("he's just a playboy"; "she's going through a mid-life crisis"; etc.), but praise the decision to have children: which will cost many times as much, and result in infinitely greater environmental impact. These are both defensible personal choices: neither is better than the other.

As long as we are paying our bills and breaking no laws, none of us should have to apologize for how we choose to spend our disposable income.

• Like 3

Sailing puts most sports to shame in terms of money, particularly when it comes to racing.  Get a set of 3di's and your bank account will not be in good shape after that.  We broke our rudder off recently in a race.  4 grand and it's not even installed or shipped.  I hope insurance picks it up.  Last summer we got the mast redone when it was damaged in shipping.  4 grand.  Let's see there is also anodes, bottom paint, yard fees, new electrical panel, covers, wow I could go on.  Oh and we have finished every race, that we've been able to finish, last or nearly last.  Yep sailing is awesome.  Actually we have had a lot fun when shit isn't broken

On 3/4/2018 at 4:41 PM, Amati said:

Cheaper by a lot to have a 40er wood sailboat designed, built and name it Amati....

The cello makes my new 1968 Selmer Series 9 clarinet look pretty cheap, in comparison.

Supporting the kids.&Gkids .. just ended up buying another kid a generator setup after Last East Coast Storm. 

On 3/5/2018 at 12:25 PM, CruiserJim said:

You made me feel better. My oldest is graduating debt-free in May, cost me about $40K out of pocket. She had really good scholarships though. She's doing a graduate program next year that's not on my dime, thankfully she got a fellowship with full tuition and $15K/year cash. 

2 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

You made me feel better. My oldest is graduating debt-free in May, cost me about $40K out of pocket. She had really good scholarships though. She's doing a graduate program next year that's not on my dime, thankfully she got a fellowship with full tuition and $15K/year cash. 

Very nice. Our goal was to get them thru with no debt, and I feel fortunate to have been able to do so. And my kids were resourceful in finding ways to save and earn money along the way.  We didn't buy a McMansion and my car is 25 years old, but not complaining.  What I've saved in car depreciation paid for boat upkeep!

On 3/2/2018 at 12:38 PM, Deed said:

or New Hampshire.

We have re-located many Massholes to NH, so the taxes up there should be out of sight soon enough.

On 3/9/2018 at 6:12 AM, MisterMoon said:

My youngest asked yesterday about scholarships. Asked if good grades would get her scholarships. 

Yes - or they could get you into a service academy. 

So now she's thinking "good grades, check. Coast Guard, let me see what they do..."

Speaking of silly money.

$5k to replace the tranny on my '05 Lexus GX regatta rig (that I paid $20k for)

shit. That's a good chunk of my mainsail money. Or it's the regatta trailer.

5 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

My youngest asked yesterday about scholarships. Asked if good grades would get her scholarships. 

Yes - or they could get you into a service academy. 

So now she's thinking "good grades, check. Coast Guard, let me see what they do..."

Good grades and an ACT score of 32 or greater will get you a lot. Was worth ~$150,000 in our case.  Wish I could have gotten my done to have taken this to heart in his first year and a half of high school.  He missed one scholarship level by 0.06 points on his GPA that will cost ~$35000 over 4 years.  

3 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Speaking of silly money.

That’s just because you’re doing it wrong. Doesn’t everyone keep a spare transmission for their truck sitting on a shelf in their garage? :D When mine goes, I just swap ‘em out in an afternoon, drop the broken one off at the shop for a rebuild that only costs a couple hundred bucks, then put it back on the shelf for next time. 

I thought that was normal. 

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

That’s just because you’re doing it wrong. Doesn’t everyone keep a spare transmission for their truck sitting on a shelf in their garage? :D When mine goes, I just swap ‘em out in an afternoon, drop the broken one off at the shop for a rebuild that only costs a couple hundred bucks, then put it back on the shelf for next time. 

I thought that was normal. 

Ya got a point there

17 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Ya got a point there

Lol!  Nah, I’m just a moron that doesn’t like to throw things away. My truck took two trucks to build, and I just hung on to the useful leftovers from the donor truck. 

I've rationalized my long term addiction to sailing and cruising sailboats with the traditional "it could be worse" refrain. I think hobbies and passions rarely make good financial sense, so it comes down to whether you derive a compensating amount of enjoyment and satisfaction. Over the years boats and sailing have returned a much more reliable rate of return of fun and enjoyment per dollar than girlfriends, wives, bikes, cars, liquor, drugs, gambling, etc. Caught the early stages of "the fever" thinking about an airplane, but after a good friend bought the farm the lightbulb finally flickered on - if something goes really wrong on a boat at least there's a decent shot at getting home... planes, not so much. If you've got the bug, I think the truth is that whatever you choose you'll probably spend a bit more than you feel you should, and then work on finding a way to feel okay about it.

On 3/14/2018 at 2:24 PM, Raz'r said:

Speaking of silly money.

don't you sail an I14??? how the hell are you paying 5k for a main lol. 

The more sailing you do the less it costs....having said that, if you are going to get into something like sailing, do it up, don't fuck aro