Sign in to follow this  
Dorado

2018 Fishing Thread

Sweet is it a rooster?

I helped a friend deliver a 38 Catalina from Destin to PC  Saturday. We trolled the whole way. Caught a few tunny, a king and something that peeled off most of my line before breaking off. We threw everything back because our cooler was for beers. No pics so it didn’t happen. :lol:

We bought a cool fishing boat and have mostly been using it as a platform from which to not catch fish. But that's why they call it fishing, right?

But our failures meant that our grandson's redfish was the first keeper to come aboard the boat since we bought it.

CsRedfish.jpg

And I mean barely a keeper. I laid it on the tape and it was 17.5 inches. They must be 18. I almost threw it right over but my wife said, "Wait! Pinch the tail!"

Huh?

Apparently, many states and the feds do it this way, so FL has recently changed our rules to be consistent with others. And on redfish, this means you measure overall length after pinching the tail.

I also learned that redfish have a "handedness" to them. Lay one on the right side and you'll get a different overall length from the left.

Anyway, when measured the newly-legal way, this fish was barely legal and became delicious redfish on the halfshell.

He also caught a trout that was 17 inches, two above minimum.

My wife and I continued our tradition of catching nothing that we wanted to or could keep.

• Like 1

The annual barracuda migration is underway locally....thousands of them , stacked up like cordwood, are circling the harbour 

Check out the sled I'm chartering in Greece  in a few weeks.

While the other numpkins on this trip are stumbling around ancient ruins, I'll be out fishing.

Going full Japanese on this one. Inchiku, Butterfly, and Flat fall jigs for Dentex (snapper) and Grouper.

Also Squid Eging ( WTF . . .) Look it up. Eat some calamari and send a few live ones out for bait.

Apparently there are still some big blue fin tuna roaming around this time year. Frankly, I hope they leave me alone. But if I see some boiling on the surface, I won't be able to stop myself.

x.jpg

y.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

Damn Dorado I’m a bit jealous. I wish you good luck. Post pics of your catch.  

I hope the bluefin are still around...almost as much as I hope to see video of you trying to get one aboard that thing:lol:...make sure the Missus has the flying gaff in hand...Tight Lines mate!

wow that is a sweet "fishing" boat. lots of pics from that one Dorado.....please

4 hours ago, Grabbler said:

I hope the bluefin are still around...almost as much as I hope to see video of you trying to get one aboard that thing:lol:...make sure the Missus has the flying gaff in hand...Tight Lines mate!

We'll see. I will have a 5" flying gaff with me. They like to hang around the fish farm pens. The plan is to live bait a squid on a circle hook but only using a 40 lb fluoro leader. If I get one less than 50-60 lbs, it's sushi. Anything bigger and I'll just break it off before it gives me a heart attack.

Apparently there may be schoolie bluefin busting the surface on bait but they say they wont bite because the bait is only 1 - 1 1/2 " long. So I'll have a surf rod rigged with a 1/4 oz Kastmaster trout spoon rigged with 4/0 3x live bait hook on 3 ft of leader to an 80g flatfall. I can cast that rig over 100 yards at any boils along the way. And just let it flutter down though the school. It's worth a try.

• Like 1

got out twice in the last couple of weeks. hit a few trout. the streams are wide open now. even had a winter stonefly hatch going on.

• Like 1

It was chilly yesterday. To some of us anyway. Grandson caught his first shark, a bonnethead.

c-bonnethead.jpg

He also got a porcupine fish and a really big pufferfish  and a couple of catfish. Nothing we wanted, basically, but an interesting day. I think the part he liked best was that the store was out of live bait so we chummed up some pinfish and I caught them with the cast net. He kept wanting me to catch more. "We have enough." But catch more! So we had a few extra and I kept them overnight and plan to go try for a snook in the creek when the sun comes up.

I hooked a stingray with about 4' wingspan on a little 2500 series reel. I'm not sure it knew it was hooked. It was just swimming off, stripping my reel. We chased it with the boat, chasing two other fishermen off their spot in the process. They were good natured about it.

There was no way I was going to try to land something that big with that tiny rod and reel but I wanted to get back as much line as I could. When we got close, I handed my rod back to my wife and started hand lining it. Without gloves on. 10 lb braid. The fish suddenly realized it was hooked and showed its real power. We had to chase it with the boat for a while more before I could get back to just losing five feet or so of line.

Jfc Tom, good way to lose a finger or two. I always have a short 3/4" wood dowel in my pocket to wrap braid around  for breaking off from snags and such. That shit can mess you up. 

Jr. still bone-slaying in The Bahamas...

FB_IMG_1521931874618.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dorado said:

Jfc Tom, good way to lose a finger or two. I always have a short 3/4" wood dowel in my pocket to wrap braid around  for breaking off from snags and such. That shit can mess you up. 

I didn't wrap my fingers or I probably would have cut them pretty deep before the line snapped. I just grabbed the line and was ready to let it go if needed. And it sure was needed. The fish was not tired at all and made a swirl the size of a scared manatee when it took off.

Got a new rod from a local company called Reaper Rods and a Shimano reel yesterday at Fishin' Frank's tent sale. I didn't really need a new rod but the kid who was working the booth was very convincing about their special "guide within a guide" and how much further he could cast with it. I still haven't tried it out.

I finally rigged up my new rod and tried it out last night.

The Shimano Stradic 4000 is very nice.

The rod? I'm not so sure yet. The guides are called "Micro Wave" guides and it looked like I was throwing a bit further than usual but not a huge difference. The tip isn't as flexy as I'm used to.

The rod base has kind of a big, round butt. There are advantages, but sometimes something sleeker can be nice. Wow, add that to the list of things to never say to your wife.

I'm going to try it out on my Star rod on grass, where I can measure how far each rod throws the same lure.

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I finally rigged up my new rod and tried it out last night.

The Shimano Stradic 4000 is very nice.

The rod? I'm not so sure yet. The guides are called "Micro Wave" guides and it looked like I was throwing a bit further than usual but not a huge difference. The tip isn't as flexy as I'm used to.

The rod base has kind of a big, round butt. There are advantages, but sometimes something sleeker can be nice. Wow, add that to the list of things to never say to your wife.

I'm going to try it out on my Star rod on grass, where I can measure how far each rod throws the same lure.

:lol: duly noted!

Flying out to Greece today. My fishing crap weighs about 55 lbs all totaled. 

I'm getting that look, from the wife. 

22 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Flying out to Greece today. My fishing crap weighs about 55 lbs all totaled. 

I'm getting that look, from the wife. 

Leave out a couple of reels and bring her along.

2 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

Leave out a couple of reels and bring her along.

What, and spoil all of the fun?

Just now, Ed Lada said:

What, and spoil all of the fun?

It may be fun now but hell to pay when you come home to a pissed off wife. If you actually plan to return home eventually.

Well of course I'm bringing her along. She's paying for the whole trip 

1 hour ago, Dorado said:

Well of course I'm bringing her along. She's paying for the whole trip 

Well that changes everything, doesn't it.

Just got back from fishing the Gunnison in the gorge. Saw one other human on the trail, no one else. 

Landed one big rainbow, camera was a quarter mile downstream. 

4.5 miles and 1200 vertical, each way. Well worth it.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Just got back from fishing the Gunnison in the gorge. Saw one other human on the trail, no one else. 

4.5 miles and 1200 vertical, each way. Well worth it.

The gunnisons are my go to reel for anything 5wt and above. 

12 hours ago, bmiller said:

Just think how much bigger it would have been if the camera had been half a mile away!

I've always maintained that cameras are bad luck but kinda have to bring one these days since it's part of my phone. In the stone age, bringing a camera on a fishin' mission meant something delicate that is easily harmed by salt and must be carefully attended at all times. PITA, in other words.

But my friend Gene often insisted on annoying me by bringing cameras anyway. That's why I now have pictures like this one:

smoker.jpg

Actual conversation a few minutes after that shot was taken:

Him: "See? Aren't you glad there was a camera aboard?"

Me: "What?!? Just think how much bigger it would have been if you didn't have the damn thing!"

Parked the boat under the floodlights Monday so I could prepare it before dawn on Tuesday.

Watched the sun come up cruising down the harbor. Fished all morning with live shrimp and pinfish and caught only stuff we didn't want: rays, catfish, shark, puffers, etc. Got the boat all cleaned up and put away and went down to my neighbor's dock to watch the sunset. My wife dropped one of the now-dead shrimp down under the dock and got a nice redfish!

So I'm thinking maybe sell the boat and all the expensive rods and reels and just go to cane poles under my neighbor's dock. The fish-to-work ratio seems way better.

I'm seeing more and more fishing being done on the FloraBama Gulf out of these SUP's which now come as geared up for fishing as Bertrams used to be!

Look at the Kahuna's on Luiza!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

I'm seeing more and more fishing being done on the FloraBama Gulf out of these SUP's which now come as geared up for fishing as Bertrams used to be!

Look at the Kahuna's on Luiza

What's a Kahuna?  It looks like some kind of small drum to me.  Hard to say from a distance.

14 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Look at the Kahuna's on Luiza!

I think about 5-10 PSI less knocker inflation would look better.

My wife was looking into SUP fishing but I pointed out just how limited her range would be at the speeds they go. She bought a Solo Skiff instead. It's an SUP/skiff hybrid, rated for 5 hp. She put a 6. Very cool little boat! It can power out further than other paddlers will go but then paddle/pole much better (and through much skinnier water) than most anything else with an engine. I've been thinking of getting one for myself. I'd put a 3.5 on it. The 6 doesn't really drive it much faster but weighs twice as much.

The Captain and The Owner returned to mainland for a couple weeks...left Jr in the islands to take care of the boat...with the Hells Bay in the water..."taking care of things"...sure!!!

IMG-203b16581349f99eb5a72c50dba7099c-V.jpg

• Like 2

Too bad about the broken antler. Legs and antlers are my favorite parts of big bugs. Not worth fooling with on little ones.

My neighbor caught a redfish from his dock last night. He does that from time to time. This one had seven spots. I may have seen that many in pics but haven't ever seen a live fish with that many before.

Frank7spotred.jpg

The snowbirds haven't gone home yet and they're enjoying the weather. Light wind and high in the 80's yesterday meant "time to fish" to many.

We went to Charlotte Harbor's "West Wall" yesterday. Went there because the southern end is as far from all area boat ramps as you can go.

It was infested with Bonnethead sharks and stingrays. And not much else. Except fishing boats.

I saw one school of Redfish. 6 of them, two of which might have been keepers. They saw me and took off. A school should contain hundreds of fish and they shouldn't know at a glance exactly what kind of threat a fisherman is.

I saw one keeping-sized Snook. I caught a glimpse just after it saw me and took off. When my dad was a boy, he said Snook were "stacked up like cordwood" under every mangrove.

My fishing guide buddies are pretty unanimous that we need a season on Reds and even stricter limits on Snook. (Snook require an extra stamp on your license and we have two short seasons and a 28" to 33" size limit. Reds have no season and we can keep 18" to 27" fish.)

They're mostly "catch and release" guides and I'm more into "filet and bait the crab trap" fishing. But I'm thinking they're right.

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

The snowbirds haven't gone home yet and they're enjoying the weather. Light wind and high in the 80's yesterday meant "time to fish" to many.

We went to Charlotte Harbor's "West Wall" yesterday. Went there because the southern end is as far from all area boat ramps as you can go.

It was infested with Bonnethead sharks and stingrays. And not much else. Except fishing boats.

I saw one school of Redfish. 6 of them, two of which might have been keepers. They saw me and took off. A school should contain hundreds of fish and they shouldn't know at a glance exactly what kind of threat a fisherman is.

I saw one keeping-sized Snook. I caught a glimpse just after it saw me and took off. When my dad was a boy, he said Snook were "stacked up like cordwood" under every mangrove.

My fishing guide buddies are pretty unanimous that we need a season on Reds and even stricter limits on Snook. (Snook require an extra stamp on your license and we have two short seasons and a 28" to 33" size limit. Reds have no season and we can keep 18" to 27" fish.)

They're mostly "catch and release" guides and I'm more into "filet and bait the crab trap" fishing. But I'm thinking they're right.

Don't worry Tom, the seekers of the sun won't add to the amount of folks out there.  they'll stock that fancy cement pond and won't have to go out on that dirty brown water.

Caught some mackerel and trout on the West Wall yesterday but did not see a single snook or redfish all day.

Mackerel are not my favorite but two of the big ones were pregnant females. Any fish with roe is my favorite.

On 4/27/2018 at 1:44 PM, Uncooperative Tom said:

Caught some mackerel and trout on the West Wall yesterday but did not see a single snook or redfish all day.

Mackerel are not my favorite but two of the big ones were pregnant females. Any fish with roe is my favorite.

Bottarga 

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jun/04/sardinia-bottarga-carbonara-dish-pasta-fish-meal

IMG_8618.PNG

They had this reddish pink colored, salt cured, roe in Japan, i don't know what kind of fish it was from.  The roe was a little smaller than those above, so the fish couldn't have been too big.  Very fine grained.   It tasted like anchovies on steroids.  I like anchovies a lot.  They eat all kinds of roe in Japan, mostly raw.  The herring roe they called 'yellow diamonds'.  It was crunchy.  They are all tasty.

I observed as a kid that mullet from the surf was yummy but mullet from the mangrove back country tasted like low tide smells.

The Gulf is pretty far away so I use mullet that I catch around here as bait. And I have a few in the pond as pets.

But I bet the roe is still good. I may have to rethink the bait-only policy.

Snook season ends tomorrow. We went to the railroad bridge yesterday afternoon and fished until about 9 pm.

In addition to the active pilings, there are stumps of old pilings in between. So it's concentrated structure. We were anchored in 4' of water next to 20' of water.

There are snook there. Everyone knows there are snook there. We could hear and occasionally see them striking. And we didn't hook a single one. These are the best-educated snook in the country and we're not that good. We did, however, frequently sound the battle cry of the Shell Creek fisherman:

CATFISH ON!

Friggin' sailcats are swarming. Huge ones.

On the plus side, we were fishing and all the lights on my new/old pontoon boat worked fine and it was a nice sunset.

RRsunsetApr2018.jpg

Put my skiff in the water, parked, was walking back when a man came up to me and said, "This fell off your trailer as you were pulling it out of the water."

broken-spring.jpg

6 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Oops......   Mebbe there's a business in bringing clean old boat trailers to FL just like there is in getting unrusty cars to the rust belt? 

Because that Maryland water is less salty than down here :blink: ???

14 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Oops......   Mebbe there's a business in bringing clean old boat trailers to FL just like there is in getting unrusty cars to the rust belt? 

I doubt it. There's always demand for a good used trailer and they are hard to find. Problem is, non-rusty trailers come from freshwater areas. Where they paint them instead of galvanizing them. The lifespan is measured in months.

On 29/04/2018 at 10:57 PM, Uncooperative Tom said:

These are the best-educated snook in the country and we're not that good.

Fish learn quickly.

Studies have been done here on Coral Trout.  They continued to fish in the same area until no more fish could be caught then went down to see what was left.  Educated fish were still there, looking back at them.  That means that if you do not spear them and do not net them, that it is impossible to 'fish out' a location.

5 hours ago, random said:

Fish learn quickly.

Studies have been done here on Coral Trout.  They continued to fish in the same area until no more fish could be caught then went down to see what was left.  Educated fish were still there, looking back at them.  That means that if you do not spear them and do not net them, that it is impossible to 'fish out' a location.

A friend had a large farm and would do a bird hunt every year. Would get them from a supplier. Started to complain as time went by that more birds would run instead of fly when flushed  Guess a little human selection killed more of the birds with the flying instinct as opposed to running. Less ground predators let them bred. Would probably also be some of the leftover birds also, but found it interesting

14 hours ago, Grabbler said:

Because that Maryland water is less salty than down here :blink: ???

Ackshully, yeah - the Chesapeake's salinity lessens as you move north away from the ocean.   I was thinking more along the lines of midwestern trailers that had been used exclusively in fresh water lakes, though.  Tom's got a point - but, lots of 'em are AL too. 

My dad is an avid large mouth bass fisherman.  he just got back from a trip to mexico and here's his report.

Fished past 6 days with ron speed adventures on comedero.... My partner and I caught approx 670 bass....we had 57 over 6lbs,29 over 7 lbs,6 over 8lbs and 3 over 9lbs.....great adventure in every respect.....I've fished el salto,picachos, and Guerrero in its heyday and never seen fish easier to catch or more eager to bite.....

some observations about our trip...
we started off each morning fishing top water ...my buddy caught several nice fish including an 8.5 lb and several 4-5 lb fish on a Yellow magic popper...I tried Pop R's,prop baits and a whopper plopper and only had a few small fish bites....usually I'd switch to a 5 or 6 inch senko or a tenn shad fluke after 30 minutes or less and start catching numbers of 1-2 lb fish but don't recall catching any sizeable fish  early...
you could almost catch or miss a fish every cast if you threw a senko or fluke up on a bank  in a few inches of water...it was  like we were fishing a pond where the fish were starving and had never seen an artificial lure...
we would get bored at times and when a fish bit,we would just reel them up to the boat to see what size they were before we set the hook....and most times there would be another fish or two with them...same when we were fighting a fish to the boat...
back in early days of Lake Guerrero,it wasn't unusual for a fish to come off when bringing it to the boat and the fish would wheel around and bite the lure again...we had this happen numerous times last week typically with 1-2lb fish but we did have one instance of a 5lb fish come off of  an underspin,wheel around and nail the boat again...
maybe one of the most unusual "fish catching" experiences I've ever had was when I hooked a 2lb bass on a worm,fought the fish to within 6 ft or so of the boat when the fish came off and stripped my worm off the hook....my buddy was reeling in and fixing to lift his lizard out of the water when my fish shot over there,grabbed his lizard.he jerked the bass into the boat and my worm fell out of his mouth......
majority of our 5lb and over fish came from 10-12 ft of water but we did catch a few fish over 7lbs in 5ft or less and several 20 to 30 ft deep....
we caught fish on a number of baits...maybe the most productive was a gambler senko,black with blue tail or watermelon red flake and a plum ole monster worm...we also caught a lot of fish on cane thumper swimbaits rigged texas rig  or on an underspin...
the accomodations were fine.........fish,shrimp steaks and Mexican  food was outstanding...considering the remote location,ron speed and staff have done a remarkable job with the lodge and the food... ... 
lake is nestled in the mountains and is both remote and starkly beautiful...clear deep water with alot of steep rocky banks and bluffs,,narrow coves with steep walls plus underwater brush....I've got some pictures I'll try to down load and post next week...
P.S.any questions,I'll be glad to try to answer them... (.I receive no compensation nor discounts from Ron Speed or the lodge)

Lots of tropical paradise fishing in the "winter."
Some of us have to play in the ice and snow. Haha.

January 27:

25062106267_5840ed6131_o.jpg

January 11:
38986585064_0cb046216b_o.jpg

December 28:

39309860732_f49254d638_o.jpg

24197110607_df9b08979f_o.jpg

Plundered the San Juan channel on opening day of shrimp season last weekend.  7 to 50 shrimps per pull ~25 / lb size, about 30 lbs cleaned tails for 7 guys / 2 boats.  Great fun and great weather.  Only 1 ling though.  But good entertainment to bottom fish while soaking traps ~2 hours.  Fishing 300 foot depth with 450 ft leaded line makes you appreciate motorized puller.

My wife has caught a few of the microsnook that are plentiful in the creek here but caught her first halfway decent sized one yesterday.

Almost a keeping sized fish, almost in season, and it tangled heck out of her other line so she had to re-rig both after I released the fish, but she was happy.

SnookSnarl.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 11:58 AM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Ackshully, yeah - the Chesapeake's salinity lessens as you move north away from the ocean.   I was thinking more along the lines of midwestern trailers that had been used exclusively in fresh water lakes, though.  Tom's got a point - but, lots of 'em are AL too. 

Come to the Baltic sea.  The brackish water is home to walleye and pike that live cheek to scaly jowl with Atlantic salmon and cod. Makes for interesting fishing.

post-37781-0-48061900-1431066472.jpg

6 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Speaking of micro...

28220186968_2a958f0c56_h.jpg

42118716051_afdb3144b7_h.jpg

Are those your bait or your catch?

The "whitebait" have arrived in the harbor. Always followed by the arrival of tarpon, which are here too. But whitebait are the best bait for pretty much everything you want to catch.

They hang in deep water near harbor marker 2, among other places, and I had heard they were there the other day. Went out to the mark and the water around it erupted. Looks like we're going to get bait!

These bait know what a flats boat is and know they're best avoided. They were trying to stay on the far side of the mark, away from my net.

That's when a porpoise showed up. This one also knew the game. "The fish will be opposite the boat? That's where I'll be!" Very handy for me. This critter even used my boat as a bait backstop as we drifted away from the mark.

There are videos on youtube of cast netters who have cooperative dolphins that help herd the bait to them. Never had it happen to me before.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Did you find the anchor that my brother forgot to tie off while we were getting bait there?

Hah! No, but I don't let the net go all the way to the bottom.

The artifacts under that marker must be interesting. It's a bait station and also sometimes the end of a sailboat starting line, so lots of opportunities to lose stuff overboard.

On 5/16/2018 at 11:27 PM, Ed Lada said:

Come to the Baltic sea.  The brackish water is home to walleye and pike that live cheek to scaly jowl with Atlantic salmon and cod. Makes for interesting fishing.

post-37781-0-48061900-1431066472.jpg

NICE!!!!   I assume that the Baltic is mostly cold water, like the PNW? 

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

NICE!!!!   I assume that the Baltic is mostly cold water, like the PNW? 

Yes, the Baltic is quite cold since the North Sea feeds it.  At the end of summer the water temp might get to the low '70s at the beaches, but no warmer.

The Atlantic salmon weighed 44 pounds, 48" long.  It fed 80 people at a party a month later.  Preparing it was like filleting a side of beef!

Ran out with Jr. on the big boat this weekend...limited on Amberjack in a short time ... then trolled for marlin and drank a million beers...good times...

IMG_1599.jpg

Snagged a nice dorado too...

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

That's not a nice Dorado. The nice ones are female and pregnant. That's a male.

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

That's not a nice Dorado. The nice ones are female and pregnant. That's a male.

Tasted "nice"...

• Like 1

When is Jr gonna take that boat down to Panama and get some roosterfish and cubera on poppers  ?

8 hours ago, Dorado said:

When is Jr gonna take that boat down to Panama and get some roosterfish and cubera on poppers  ?

Dunno...but he'll be spending next winter in Isla Mujeres busting sailfish

www.marlinmag.com/isla-mujeres-offers-great-sailfish-numbers#page-4

Fuck I can't get that link to embedd...

13 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Grabbs - where were y'all fishing? 

35-40 south of Destin FL...about pissed myself when Jr jumped in with a pole spear trying to chase a tripletail on a pallet out there...

10 hours ago, Grabbler said:

35-40 south of Destin FL...about pissed myself when Jr jumped in with a pole spear trying to chase a tripletail on a pallet out there...

Sounds like Grabbs the Younger is a fishing machine!   I'm glad for all of ya, and thanks for sharing it with us.  I got to go near shore fishing back in March when was down in Pigeon Key chaperoning a HS Biology trip.   We didn't catch much more than bait, but, it was still a good day on the water. 

14 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Sounds like Grabbs the Younger is a fishing machine!   I'm glad for all of ya, and thanks for sharing it with us.  I got to go near shore fishing back in March when was down in Pigeon Key chaperoning a HS Biology trip.   We didn't catch much more than bait, but, it was still a good day on the water. 

Amberjacks on Saturday...Swine on Sunday...the boy keeps the freezer full, that's fersure...keep an eye on the "Grilling" thread, with the weather we've got coming our way this weekend looks like all we'll be doing is processing and cooking...

IMG_0083.jpg

11 minutes ago, Grabbler said:

Amberjacks on Saturday...Swine on Sunday...the boy keeps the freezer full, that's fersure...keep an eye on the "Grilling" thread, with the weather we've got coming our way this weekend looks like all we'll be doing is processing and cooking...

IMG_0083.jpg

I am usually not big on wild game but I sure do love those big, hairy, ugly, porkish things.  I have a good friend in Poland that loves to hunt wild boar and he frequently gives me hams, roasts and sausages made from them.  I have a nice roast in the freezer currently, just waiting for me when I get back. 

I usually roast the meat low and slow and when it's nice and tender, serve it with horseradish.  Simple and tasty.  If you have another recipe, I'm open to suggestions.

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I am usually not big on wild game but I sure do love those big, hairy, ugly, porkish things.  I have a good friend in Poland that loves to hunt wild boar and he frequently gives me hams, roasts and sausages made from them.  I have a nice roast in the freezer currently, just waiting for me when I get back. 

I usually roast the meat low and slow and when it's nice and tender, serve it with horseradish.  Simple and tasty.  If you have another recipe, I'm open to suggestions.

One of the shoulders will go on low and slow for bbq/carnitas...one of the hams is already in a bucket of brine for a couple weeks...bellies which are a lot leaner than regular pork are curing for bacon...ribs will be dry rubbed and grilled this weekend...neck/spine will be rubbed and roasted and done as Brunswick stew...rest will be processed into sausage, I do a wild pig and shrimp boudin my missus likes, a habanero/pineapple smoked sausage, and I've been dicking around with a roast garlic/feta/rosemary grilling sausage that is showing some progress, and some Italian links and breakfast patties...wild pig and venison  is fairly interchangeable in a lot of these sausages, can slightly reduce the amount of added fat with the pig...Jr already grilled one of the backstraps (see "Grilling" thread)...

• Like 1

Caught a few snook and snapper yesterday but nothing I was allowed to keep. Also a nice Jack on my smallest rod, always fun.

A pretty boring fishing day. Which is probably better than this guy's fishing day. Turns out lightning is bad for fishing rods.

34157755_2234678656810916_31879982391985

• Like 1

The little tarpon are up in the creek and we've been hooking up on lures most every night.

The typical fight lasts seconds. Light rods that can't really set a hook in a bony tarpon mouth, so we get my favorite kind of tarpon fight: brief and ending in a jump and thrown hook.

Last night my wife hooked one that stayed hooked long enough for me to get my camera. I saw the line coming toward the surface and started flailing away at the "take a pic" button, missing it the first time. The second attempt to hit the button turned out to be timed just right. Cool reflection, huh?

The line went slack as soon as it landed, much to my relief. Unhooking a tarpon is a popular way to get new holes or gashes in your hands if you're dumb enough to do it without gloves, as I am.

STarponJump.jpg

• Like 1

Nice  !

Baby tarpon are great fun. A light wire barbless circle hook will set itself in the corner of the mouth and make for an easy release. Have you tried that yet?

I am envious

Weather has been shitty 'round here...but the traps are producing...

IMG-65d4221767a8de127fdeca2d7185f159-V.jpg

IMG-cddda965a65cc332aa3a12fefead63dd-V.jpg

Another sunset on the dock and another tarpon last night.

CrkTarponJump.jpg

Went to one of the best fishing spots in the harbor yesterday, Bull Bay.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11426.shtml

It's less than a square mile in size but has always attracted loads of fish.

We caught lots of fish but managed to catch only one we could keep.

At one point, I looked around and counted 7 other fishing boats. At 10 am on a Tuesday in June.

I had a school of mullet trapped in a cove at one point. No way out except past my net. They had played that little game before and I caught zero. The white bait were even smarter. They didn't consider me standing on the bow nearby to be a threat. Get a little nearer and start messing with a net and POOF! Gone. I took three good throws at schools of them. Caught zero. This is because people who are better at it than I am have mastered the art of crouching behind the engine powerhead and throwing a net from a crouch, so that the first time the fish see them moving, the net is in the air. I don't even try to throw over the engine from a standing position. I just look around until I find less-educated fish.

12 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Is that fly line in the bottom of your skiff? 

Yes.

Somehow, some little mangrove snappers got into my pond. That was cool.

Then they grew. And grew. And grew. And it wasn't cool. Snappers are pretty hard on saltwater species and the freshwater stuff in the pond just wasn't at all prepared for such a predator. They became a problem.

I tried to catch them but they're smarter than I am. So I told my neighbor. He managed to catch one, which he reported was 15 inches.

And the other two were that much smarter.

But not ready for good old beginner's luck! Send in the 7 year old!

CBigSnapper.jpg

That one measured 16 inches with the tail pinched.

There's still one more. I took a swim and took his picture.

BIGMangrove.jpg

At least another 16 incher. And there's a few more, including the one behind in this pic, that are reaching problem size.

I'm going to teach them what a spear is.

Except maybe this guy, who seems to have befriended a Peacock Bass.

PeacockMangrove.jpg

It's not every pond that has snapper mingling with bass and tilapia.

TilapiaMangroveBass.jpg

And a giant mullet that likes to hide under the dock.

MulletUnderDock.jpg

There are rumors of a tarpon in the pond but I didn't get a pic so that didn't happen.

• Like 1

Cool. Did Irma affect your pond. When I was a kid we spent the night in a Miami Beach hotel when the eye of a hurricane passed over.

We drove out on Key Biscayne after the storm passed, and walked out on a golf course. There were fish left stranded in the bunkers.

The pond is fed by an artesian spring and overflows 50-60 gallons per minute all the time. When a storm comes, it overflows more. Doesn't really affect anything and all returns to normal within an hour after the rain passes.

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Nice pics Tom - thanks for sharing those.  Man - for a pond?  Your water's incredibly clear! 

That's the result of the constant flow of the artesian spring. Ponds in the part of the world tend to have water that's black, brown, or green, often with algae on top.

• Like 1

How do you like that suzuki outboard?  we just got sorted out on a RIB, w a 2014ish suzuki 40hp

Modern Suzuki's are good outboards. We had one in the 1980's that was a nightmare but the new ones are good.

• Like 1

Crystal River scallops. There were plenty we could have limited out both days but the girls got tired of shucking. 

I’ve tried to upload photos but the file is too big and I have no photo editing on my phone. 

31 minutes ago, PuffyJman said:

Crystal River scallops. There were plenty we could have limited out both days but the girls got tired of shucking. 

I’ve tried to upload photos but the file is too big and I have no photo editing on my phone. 

Ya Bastage!...we'll be headed to PSJ for the annual vacay in a couple weeks, but no scalloping til mid-August:angry:...on the bright side, when Jr and I do our smash and grab run last week of season, they'll be HUUUUGE...

• Like 1

what should i be fishing for in and around biscayne bay?

1 hour ago, MikeR80 said:

what should i be fishing for in and around biscayne bay?

Get Snookered by some Silicone enhanced pleasure orbs that are much more abundant than the reds, flats, or specks