Sign in to follow this  
Dorado

2018 Fishing Thread

On 3/5/2018 at 6:15 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

We bought a cool fishing boat and have mostly been using it as a platform from which to not catch fish.

That tradition more or less continued yesterday. A trout that was too small. Some mangrove snappers that were too small. A redfish that was too small. Just one small snook away from a Teeny Inshore Slam. But at least I finally got to put the boat away properly.

The boat is a Twin Vee 22 and it's about 7 years old but lived its life indoors under the care of a very meticulous owner. When we bought it in January, we  ordered a Boatport for it. And, well, it's Florida, so installation was promptly completed last week. A couple of weeks (read: ten) to get me the engineered drawings, 6-8 weeks (read: 8) to get a permit from the county, a couple of weeks for the concrete pad, and 6-8 more (turned out to be 5!) to install the building.

Boatport.jpg

That's quite an armada you've got there!

13 hours ago, bmiller said:

That's quite an armada you've got there!

None have any mounted cannons yet so I'm not sure the name fits. But thanks, I enjoy them.

Driving down to San Diego tomorrow night to get on the Pacific Queen on Wed evening returning Thur. night

This is what they came back with Sunday night

Pacific Queen

8 Bluefin Tuna over 200lbs!

7-15-2018
Drew Card

Unbelievable, 8 Bluefin Tuna over 200lbs and 4 more from 146-193lbs. The weights of the individual Bluefin are as follows, 146, 188, 189, 193, 200, 203, 205, 212, 216, 223, 226, and 281. Trip of a lifetime!

blue.jpg

• Like 1

Nice haul of Tuna. Those fuckers scared the crap out of me when they would come romping through a school of inshore spanish mackeral that I was hoping to get some dinner from. I would lay flat on top of a pinnacle that almost reached the surface and wait for the mackerel to swim past and I could usually pick one off because I don't think that they differentiated me from the top of the pinnacle. Then all of a sudden the macks would get all nervous and start twitching like they didn't know which way to go and then the big tuna would sweep in from the deep water and clean up on the macks. I tried to pick off a tuna but they were way to fast for me. I was freaked that I was going to get run down like Pamplona but they just parted around the pinnacle and I just sat there amazed!

Frankly, I'm getting a little too old to be humpin' 200 lb bluefin from a stationary boat. I'd much prefer a pair of 50 pounders with a nap in between fish.

You'd think he would at least crack a smile, right?

CTarpon.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 12:10 AM, Dorado said:

Frankly, I'm getting a little too old to be humpin' 200 lb bluefin from a stationary boat. I'd much prefer a pair of 50 pounders with a nap in between fish.

So errr? Watcha catch??

Bluefin from a kayak is on the bucket list, but it is a bit of a PITA to juggle all the balls to legally catch Tuna in North America.

There's a guy from Chicago that vacays on Cape Cod that has them dialed in, think the largest he's landed has "only" been 183lb but he's tagged into a couple of Giants.

All from a 10' SIK he bought from Dick's :D

7 hours ago, Grabbler said:

So errr? Watcha catch??

Nada

Schools of Bluefin  from 30 to 300 lbs crashing the surface all day, stuffing their faces full of 2" anchovies. Wouldn't bite 7" sardines or poppers, stick baits, or irons. A few cows were caught in the fleet skipping big plastic flying fish from a kite.

They had been hammered pretty hard for a week and got smart.

Gonna try again in 2 weeks and again in 4 weeks. 

White+Shark+Kayak++140+MB+Scan+b%C2%A9Th

I have a slightly different idea of what size appropriate boat is for what activity.

kayak3.jpg

When I moved in with some college buddies who had opted to take a semester off and work the net boats in Destin Fl, we had a sweet German Shepard who would fish just like that. She would wade far out onto the sand bars just inside Destin Pass and catch crabs and fish like you wouldn't believe. She was well aware of the tides and would fish on a falling tide and always get back in before getting stranded way out in the back bay. Problem was that she didn't seem to eat her catch but would just bring it home to curl up on the old stinky couch on the screened in front porch of our little Panhandle fish shack bungalow. My roommates would shed their working clothes after coming home from a days fishing and toss the slime and fish gurry anointed jeans and T-shirts on the couch anyway and the dog just loved that ambiance. Two three weeks go bad until the smell was so bad that the roommates would gather up their stinky clothes and finally go to the Laundromat. I would give the dog a nice Joy soap bath on those occasions which she really seemed to love but she missed the stink and would go drag a half rotted fish carcass back to her sleeping couch. Those would get tossed out in short order but she soon learned to tuck a fish carcass well down under the seat cushions so I wouldn't find them. The smell finally got so bad the fishing boys could take the stench and when we pulled up the cushions to find the dogs collection of maggot infested dead fish we all nearly retched. We tied a rope to the couch and pulled the truck up to the door and hauled the reeking couch down to the beach behind the house and burned the whole thing much to the dogs dismay.

My buddies fished with one of the original skippers of that area, Buck Destin.

Image result for capt buck destin

Not exactly fishing related, though my wife did get a tarpon strike while this was going on, but...

This was only the second time in my life that I have seen manatee sex. The first time, I drifted into the action in my kayak, causing manateeus interruptus.

Last night we watched this go on for about half an hour and it was still on when we left. I got several video clips on my phone but the first one would have been the best. If I had actually hit the record button instead of just thinking I did.

That happened last year on a Sunday afternoon on Englewood Beach.  Except a woman decided to swim with them and then tried to climb aboard.

FWC showed up.  She got a major chewing out and a ticket.

Mantee Sex? How do the find the XXXXX under all that blubber? 

My girlfriend and I were treated to a helicopter flight in a Bell Jet Ranger that some fat cat had flown down from Atlanta in and landed on the Jet Ski elevator off to the side of a mutual friends dock. Pretty cool setup that converted to a nice landing pad when you unscrewed the Jet Ski cradles and hit the lift button to level the platform with the dock. The flyboy offered to take us up for a tour of Perdido Pass and the son of his host came with us. Pretty sharp kid about 12 at the time and he sat with my GF in the back and I was thrilled to be the 'co-pilot' up front. We all donned our headsets more for the rotor noise but the intercom feature let us converse in normal tones. The miracles of sound cancelling tech! Shortly after we lifted off from the platform we gained altitude and not more than about 200 yards out from the beach in front of the kids house he looked down and pointed out a gaggle of dolphins cavorting in the clear shallow waters. I looked down and there was a veritable cetacean orgy going on with about two dozen sex crazed dolphins just going wild in every combination and partnering you could imagine! The young boy asked my GF what they were doing and she was briefly at a loss for words and then said, 'Oh, they are just playing a game sort of like tag...' I thought that was a pretty weak coverup and then the young stud said clearly over the intercom, 'Oh, it looked to me like the were FUCKING like crazy...'

12 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

That happened last year on a Sunday afternoon on Englewood Beach.  Except a woman decided to swim with them and then tried to climb aboard.

FWC showed up.  She got a major chewing out and a ticket.

A manatee showed up at a WCTSS gathering in Cayo Costa and decided the shade under a boat was nice. People were hanging out with it but no one tried to mount it. I think touching them is illegal but a few people did anyway. It didn't seem to care.

I don't think anyone would try to swim in a manatee orgy. I didn't feel particularly safe in a kayak when among them. They weigh as much as a small car and are moving about VERY vigorously. Best to stay clear.

8 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Mantee Sex? How do the find the XXXXX under all that blubber? 

Yeah, the old flour trick is not going to work. Where there's a will, there's a way, I suppose.

I never came across dolphin sex but have kayaked into a feeding pod of them. As they were zipping around me, it occurred to me that I was in a rubber and wood boat, pretty invisible to sonar, and the frame could be seriously damaged by impact if one hit me. I started making noise.

Just lay back and get it over with...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/481492/Video-Watch-Dolphin-BBC-Four-Documentary-Animal-Science-Experiments

Margaret Howe Lovatt (born Margaret C. Howe, in 1942) is a volunteer naturalist from Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. In 1960s, she took part in a NASA-funded research project in which she attempted to teach a dolphin named Peter to understand and mimic human speech. As a child, she was inspired by a book called Miss Kelly, a story about a cat that communicate with humans. This inspired her into research in teaching animals to speak the human language

Dolphinarium

When she was in her early 20s, she lived on the Caribbean Island of St. Thomas, where she had a laboratory to research dolphins. The director of the lab, Gregory Bateson, allowed her to observe dolphin behavior despite her lack of scientific training. At the same lab, she met John C. Lilly, a neuroscientist with the California Institute of Technology. He was building a research laboratory with funding from NASA and the United States Navy with the goal of speaking to extraterrestrial life forms. In order to simulate this situation he built a "Dolphinarium", a dolphin-house flooded with water, on Saint Thomas. There Lilly accommodated three dolphins, two females named Sissy and Pamela and one younger male bottle nose dolphin named Peter. All of them were taken from Marine Studios and had been co-starring in the television show Flipper. In 1964 the "Dolphinarium" was fully functional and as Lilly was often traveling he assigned Howe Lovatt to train the dolphins.

The goal of the "Dolphinarium" experiment was to teach dolphins human language. Over a period of two years, Lilly and Howe Lovatt, both with very different approaches, tried to prove that human language could be mimicked by dolphins. Howe Lovatt reasoned that if she lived with the dolphins and made human-like sounds, similar to how a mother teaches her child to speak, they would have more success. She tried speaking slowly and changing the pitch of her tone to help Peter pronounce the words that she wants him to learn. Howe Lovatt and the pubescent male dolphin Peter spent all their time together in the isolated "Dolphinarium" where Howe Lovatt documented Peter's progress with her twice-daily lessons and encouragement to say the words "Hello Margaret". According to Howe Lovatt, the "m" sound was extremely difficult for Peter to pronounce without making bubbles in the water.

Howe Lovatt's experiments, and her relationship with Peter the dolphin, were documented in Christopher Riley's documentary The Girl Who Talked to Dolphins.

Complications

In week five Peter started to exhibit signs of sexual attraction toward Howe Lovatt. Howe Lovatt stated that it was not sexual on her part, but it allowed her to get to know Peter. An article titled "Interspecies Sex: Humans and Dolphins" appeared in the magazine Hustler that overdramatized the situation and reflected badly on their research. Other problems arose surrounding the project. In addition to her animal communication research, Lilly had been funded to research the effects of the drug LSD. He had been testing the effects of the drug on his subject dolphins, with no results. Since neither his communication experiments nor his LSD research was proving fruitful, Lilly's Dolphinarium eventually lost all funding. Due to the lack of funding, they moved to an abandoned bank building in Miami. Since the building lacked sunlight and space, Peter quickly deteriorated and later committed suicide.

My wife caught a few green river trout, here's a couple of the better ones.

20180905_170728-600x450.jpg

2686-600x450.jpg

Of course she had me as a guide/lacky/camp bitch.

2685-600x450.jpg

• Like 1

Nice rig B.

How much do you charge for guide / lacky  / camp bitch services? 

7 hours ago, Dorado said:

Nice rig B.

How much do you charge for guide / lacky  / camp bitch services? 

Whiskey, really good whiskey.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Whiskey, really good whiskey.

Wait a minute....

Is that spin casting gear in the photo? Thought you were one of those obsessive fly fishing types.

Last month, while staying in Glenwood Springs my daughter and grand daughter were exploring and wading in the shallows of the Raging Fork . A couple of drift boats floated by with the guide in the center and the clients fly casting in the bow and stern lounge chairs. My daughter's comment was, "looks boring". I had to create a lengthy explanation for the complexities and satisfactions of the venture that apparently had little effect on her.   It's OK,  after decades, my entire family understands but doesn't fully appreciate sailing either.

That must be Mrs B's spinner. 

If I remember correctly,  B has a fly rod so fancy, it looks like it was wrapped in a New Orleans whore house. The guys at work built it for him when he retired. 

He'll yes it's spinning gear. Can you imagine the shitstorm if I tried to teach her how to cast a fly rod?

She was tossing zig jigs with great success. 

And yes dorado my crew gave me a fly rod that would make a flamenco dancer jealous. But it casts oh so well.

There's been an emergency closure of the redfish fishery here and there likely won't be a snook season either because of red tide.

My neighbor is a few counties north working on the cleanup and says they're pulling an unbelievable number of large, dead snook out.

So today we went after trout and got a couple of 16" ones along Charlotte Harbor's west wall. They have to be over 15" to keep them.

The catfish population appears unaffected by red tide. We saw only one dead fish floating but the red tide is out near the Gulf, pretty far from where we were.

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

There's been an emergency closure of the redfish fishery here and there likely won't be a snook season either because of red tide.

My neighbor is a few counties north working on the cleanup and says they're pulling an unbelievable number of large, dead snook out.

So today we went after trout and got a couple of 16" ones along Charlotte Harbor's west wall. They have to be over 15" to keep them.

The catfish population appears unaffected by red tide. We saw only one dead fish floating but the red tide is out near the Gulf, pretty far from where we were.

It seem that there has been red tide more often than not when we are down visiting my in-laws recently. Is it just our timing or has this been occurring that frequently?

5 hours ago, Son of a Sailor said:

It seem that there has been red tide more often than not when we are down visiting my in-laws recently. Is it just our timing or has this been occurring that frequently?

It has happened throughout recorded history but we've had it every year since about the 1990's and that's new. It starts in the Gulf and the blooms drift ashore and can linger for a while. If nothing else makes them go away, a cold front eventually will, at least until the next year.

Reliable rumor has it that scientists are tracking a major bloom offshore and if it comes in we'll see one of the worst red tides ever.

FWC has expanded and extended the fisheries closures. Snook and redfish are catch and release only for the W Coast through May.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/FLFFWCC/bulletins/21017c8

eo-18-45-boundary-map_original.jpg

My wife found this on Overstock.

overstockreel.jpg

I had all sorts of plans for today, go look at a boat in Pueblo, finish some honey do's, start some I should do's......

Instead went I fishing. Trout get hungry just before ice over. Lots of fish, got a few for dinner.

Fuck the chores, I'm going back out tomorrow.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dorado said:

mmmmm bluefin

bf1.jpg

bf2.jpg

Really nice! How big are those? It's hard to get scale in a photo. I'm guessing the rainbows we had for dinner last night would be bait for those bad boys.

15 hours ago, Dorado said:

Lower left package is Toro (belly meat). 

O toro (it is so highly regarded by the Japanese that they put the honorific 'o' in front of the name), in my opinion, is hands down absolutely the best, most sublime sushi/sashimi experience ever.  Pricey in a restaurant but worth the expense at least once.  When I lived near Tokyo  I flew back to the US several times.  There was a nice sushi restaurant  in the terminal at Narita airport and I would eat some sushi/sashimi while I waited for my flight.  I would always indulge in some o toro.   At the time ('89-92) it cost about $10.00 for two small pieces of o toro sushi.  The other sushi was mostly between $2.00 to $5.00 for 2 pieces.

If you want to box up some of that belly meat in dry ice and ship it to me, I wouldn't mind.  ;)

22 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

O toro (it is so highly regarded by the Japanese that they put the honorific 'o' in front of the name), in my opinion, is hands down absolutely the best, most sublime sushi/sashimi experience ever.  Pricey in a restaurant but worth the expense at least once.  When I lived near Tokyo  I flew back to the US several times.  There was a nice sushi restaurant  in the terminal at Narita airport and I would eat some sushi/sashimi while I waited for my flight.  I would always indulge in some o toro.   At the time ('89-92) it cost about $10.00 for two small pieces of o toro sushi.  The other sushi was mostly between $2.00 to $5.00 for 2 pieces.

If you want to box up some of that belly meat in dry ice and ship it to me, I wouldn't mind.  ;)

I had it once and it is awesome but I liked Uni better. Except for looking like someone drained an infected wound onto your plate, it's the best ever.

Freshness counts and even little yellowfins without much fat are darn yummy. We ate the belly right after this pic was taken.

tunacar.jpg

Then moved the BBQ to the bow rail (we were downwind at the time) and had tuna steaks that night. Then, best of all, we took leftover steaks and made tuna salad the next day. Don't do this. Tuna salad made with canned tuna will never be the same if you do.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 6:35 AM, Dorado said:

That's about $900 worth of tuna

Was good till you monetised it.

7 hours ago, random said:

Was good till you monetised it.

Enjoy your Roo Ball Pie