AdmiralBangBang

Buying a Beach Cat

I have been sailing for 2 years now, with the boats from the junior sailing program where I live. Problem is, I would like to sail more often, and I really now want my own boat. I talked to my mom, and she said it was okay, but I would need to raise all the money. I want a quick, fast beach cat, and I wanted to ask should I build one, or should I buy one, and how to spread the cost out. Thanks!

I would say buy one. I have built two tris and the first one a 33' 

One took 3 years. Do you have reliable crew or singlehanding? 

Just sold my Hobie Getaway, heavier rotomolded hulls recreational

Sailing oriented, but was nice and I was able to keep it on the beach.

Super cat 17 or maybe Nacra . Goodluck

Buy one to start.  Look for a Hobie 14 or 16, 14s are single-handed. While you're sailing that boat, plan one to build.  It takes a long time to build your own boat and would infinitely delay you sailing your own. 

Look at the forum on https://www.thebeachcats.com/.  There's plenty of tips and advice there on what kinds of beachcats make sense.  Plus the best list of classifieds online (also look at Craigslist -- lots of cats there).  That will give you a good sense of what you get per $.  Hobie Cats of various types are easy to find for <$2K used, in many cases you can also find for <$1K for an older boat.  Depends of course on what boat.

A used cat is often not expensive, and many of the things that are worn can be fairly easy repaired (lines, rigging, hulls), for not too much $.  What is most costly is sails -- a used boat will typically cost less than a new set of sails (sails can run $1.5-4K depending on how many the boat has).  So be picky about what sails a boat comes with.  Some boats that have been raced have several sets so you can use the practice set on usual days and still race with the better sails when needed.  Other things that are expensive are tramps and masts. 

Keep in mind your weight and the recommended crew weights for each boat type.  You need enough weight to self-right after a capsize.  I remember as a ~15 year old having a hard time righting a Hobie 16 with my brother. 

And finally, keep in mind what you plan to do with the boat. If you like racing, you should find a boat that has a local class. I personally don't enjoy as much doing donuts on the water just for fun (to each his own), so I like knowing I'm on a boat that has an active class in the area.

Pro tip: I love beach cats, but be open minded about other classes....  A lot of people who like beach cats have migrated to kite-boarding.  Much faster to setup, you can go for a quick joyride in half the time.  And the adrenaline rush is incomparable.   Or even a good mono dinghy -- I raced real 420s as a teen in Europe (with spinnaker and trapeze) and those had plenty of fun moments planning downwind, with awesome wipe-outs too, with a nice local class to sail against.  Not sure what you have in your area, but definitely look around.

I saw a Dart 16 for 1500 USD on ApolloDuck. Should I buy it? Are there any other boats (cats or monos) under 1000 USD? I don't care about masts right now, I just want a hull, I'll buy everything else later.

Also, I'm only 11 and I weigh in at 77 pounds. Will I be able to sail it?

You will have a hard time righting it at that weight solo but it would be a great boat to grow into! 

You can buy my Moth if you want it...

At that age and weight buy a Hobie 14 turbo (with jib) and add a second trapeze.  Sail it with a friend like a mini Hobie 16.  If you do want to build a boat and have someone who can help have a look at the DS12 plans (they're free).

p6240037-640.jpg

Okay, but how much does WCB want for his Moth? I might buy her in pieces, like hull first, then sails.

3 hours ago, AdmiralBangBang said:

WCB, how much do you want for it?

Asking $7,000

WCB, what if I bought the boat in pieces? How much do you want for the hull by itself?

ABB -- when I see your posts sometimes I wonder if you're just pulling our legs and trolling us, or actually serious but just young/naive (which I am sure I was too at 11).  My point is, I don't think you can typically buy a used boat in pieces -- try asking someone if they will sell you their car without the engine...   The seller usually wants full money for the entire piece of kit, or will find someone else to sell to.  A mast is not much use to the seller one he has sold his hulls.  I appreciate if you're 11 you may not have much of a budget, but then my recommendation is to take it slow, save up and buy a complete boat..

Plus, the way you describe your program, you want to go sailing, so get the full boat, not a piece...!

I agree on Hobie 14 -- Hobie 16 or higher is too much boat.  I'm don't think 77 lbs is even enough if you're solo -- I saw a thread that says 130lbs is too light.  But double should be fine.  Try this: https://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamarans-for-sale/p15383-1980-hobie-cat-14-turbo-with-trailer.html

12 hours ago, AdmiralBangBang said:

WCB, what if I bought the boat in pieces? How much do you want for the hull by itself?

I'm not offering the boat in pieces.  If I sold you a piece off of the boat, then I no longer have a complete boat to sell if you disappear.

Galacticair has good advice. Find yourself a Hobie 14, they're less than $1k for the ones that I saw.  Get started there and take good care of it and you'll sell it for what you pair for it, or maybe even a little more if you fix it up a little. 

WCB, where did you see the Hobie 14s that were less than 1k? I've been looking on TheBeachCats.com, GumTree, and Craigslist.

Hobie 14 is the boat for your size,

Watch for and don't buy: crunchy (delaminated decks), watch for corrosion issues on all the metal and the stranding rig. The H14 can be "turboed" by adding a sreacher which would be a fun thing to add as you gain experience. You are YOUNG! sail now build later....gain building experience by fixing and modifying things. Don't build a whole boat unless you have experienced and committed help.

Leigh

I have only seen 1 or 2 Hobie 14's come up in recent years that I would consider (garage kept boats, one was a mid 2000's built in France and above your price range). At your age I started with one but ran into some issues, namely I was too light to right the boat even at >100lbs, then there was the extensive corrosion from the boat living on a beach near saltwater for 30+ years that required a full rebuild.

Another somewhat comparable option might be a Nacra 5.2

Personally, depending on your exact skill set and launch location, I would look for a used laser; cheap and plentiful, and the skillset is useful.

Beyond that, if you have a suitable sailing venue, look for a cheap used classic A-Cat. These can be had for well under $5k and are very fast boats, though a little too much sail area for your weight at present.

Building: Do you have a friend who is experienced with composites or boat building and is willing to help you out? if not, I don't think this is a smart move. I've run the numbers myself, and for example, all the hardware (excluding molds etc.), purchased at retail for an F16 is pushing over $12,000. Something smaller might be cheaper, it might not be. You are much better off buying a used boat-there is a west coast Hobie Tiger over on thebeachcats.com for $3k that is a bargain if you have someone closer to 200 lbs to sail it with.

On 3/6/2018 at 10:40 AM, AdmiralBangBang said:

WCB, where did you see the Hobie 14s that were less than 1k? I've been looking on TheBeachCats.com, GumTree, and Craigslist.

Out here there have been plenty of 14s and 16s sub $1k.  $600 seems to be the target number.  A long drive for you.  Keep looking and they'll turn up.  

Here you go.  Road trip to the Washington, D.C. area for a turbo'd Hobie 14.  Asking $1,500, maybe yours for less.

Hobie 14

One last one for you.  Fort Wayne, Indiana.  This is a 2004 for $3,000 and looks like a cherry package.  Maybe go a little bigger and sail your brains out, no need for boat work.

Fort Wayne 14

That 2004 may be too good to be true.  I saw it listed again much further away for $8,999 so the $3,000 could be a scam.

Don't even think about building a beach cat, way too many good boats at reasonable prices out there. Hobie 14 would be about perefect for your age and weight. But righting may still be difficult. But on the plus side at your weight you can take a friend and not hurt your speed. Then add a jib when you put on a little more weight or additional speed wanted.