Somebody Else

Can someone explain this boat construction to me?

wooden_boat_build.jpg.940d655b705a1d384b961d4d11480d01.jpg

This photo baffles me.

The size of the planks look like carvel construction but there aren't any frames.

Possibly strip plank taken off a male mold but why are the strips so wide?

Why is there no shear clamp or keel timber?

The fact that the hull is supported by four jack stands instead of a stronger structure suggests it's a restoration and not a new build but the fact that nothing remains of the frames or interior seems weird. The entire shape is being fine tuned with a couple of cross braces jammed in at the shear?

Does anybody have an explanation of this boat?

In Indo, most boats are built planking first n frames  are shaped n fitted later

Image result for indonesian boat building

• Like 3

The first boat looks like a ply lapstrake glued construction, you can see the scarf lines in the ply planks and the guy is cleaning up the glue lines along the laps.

Probably built over a male mould or frame.

i am in awe of that Indo boat....

10 hours ago, captpiratedog said:

In Indo, most boats are built planking first n frames  are shaped n fitted later

any more info on this boat?!!?!?

1 hour ago, dent said:

Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God. 10 Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth.

11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence.12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13 So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth. 14 So make yourself an ark of cypress[c] wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. 15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be three hundred cubits long, fifty cubits wide and thirty cubits high.[d]16 Make a roof for it, leaving below the roof an opening one cubit[e] high all around.[f] Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks. 17 I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish. 18 But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark—you and your sons and your wife and your sons’ wives with you. 19 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you. 20 Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive. 21 You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them.”

22 Noah did everything just as God commanded him.

23 and he builteth the ark in Indo from teaketh.

• Like 6

On 3/5/2018 at 11:35 AM, dent said:

Back to being serious, I'm guessing it is this boat:

213' Custom 

The boat I was asking about--the one on the spindly jack stands--is about 22' long.

50 minutes ago, Parma said:

Back to being serious, I'm guessing it is this boat:

213' Custom 

Close!  Catalina 27...

20 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

The boat I was asking about--the one on the spindly jack stands--is about 22' long.

Yes, but dent was asking about Noah's ark.

On 06/03/2018 at 7:13 AM, Parma said:

Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God. 10 Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth.

11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence.12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13 So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth. 14 So make yourself an ark of cypress[c] wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. 15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be three hundred cubits long, fifty cubits wide and thirty cubits high.[d]16 Make a roof for it, leaving below the roof an opening one cubit[e] high all around.[f] Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks. 17 I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish. 18 But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark—you and your sons and your wife and your sons’ wives with you. 19 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you. 20 Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive. 21 You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them.”

22 Noah did everything just as God commanded him.

23 and he builteth the ark in Indo from teaketh.

Next time he should leave the two mosquitos and two gun nuts ashore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Next time he should leave the two mosquitos and two gun nuts ashore.

and trump's parents (or just mother)

On 3/6/2018 at 3:35 AM, dent said:

It's just an example of Indo boat building. not sure which  Phinisi it is but they pretty much follow the same techniques...The only one they ever did differently was the Trimaran  party boat I did which was done frames first, planks after as I was careful to not have the dimensions run amok by letting them freestyle it...as they  most definitely would have done....