shaggybaxter

Who really believes tariffs are good business

Define 'good for business'.

Whose business?

If you are a farmer you might have a different perspective.  There is a case for ensuring a countries food security to apply tariffs.

There is one best way to tell what is the correct strategy for humans, do the complete opposite to what Jerkz says.  Jerkz is a mouthpiece for non-human entities that have no morals.

17 minutes ago, random said:

Whose business?

If you are a farmer you might have a different perspective.  There is a case for ensuring a countries food security to apply tariffs.

We'll see how it plays. I was talking to a fellow farmer (Trump supporter as most here are). He runs his farm on notes already and said if this keeps up, he's already got plans to scram out of the country and start over.

OTOH, Brazil is loving it. Since China said they were buying no more ag products from the US, Brazil just jacked up their prices by 10% to China, so China may have backed itself into a corner if they become unable to maintain buying ag produce through a 3rd party 'undisclosed buyer'.

8 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

China may have backed itself into a corner if they become unable to maintain buying ag produce through a 3rd party 'undisclosed buyer'.

As if that would happen.  They would just find another path.

The US is more in a corner than China, they will just continue to adjust the currency to compensate, easy peasey.

The Irony is that China routinely 'manipulates the Yuan as normal business.  When they wanted it to drop, all they had to do was stop propping it up.  So when they stop manipulating, they get accused by the USA of manipulating the Yuan!

YCMTSHU

2 hours ago, random said:

As if that would happen.  They would just find another path.

The US is more in a corner than China, they will just continue to adjust the currency to compensate, easy peasey.

The Irony is that China routinely 'manipulates the Yuan as normal business.  When they wanted it to drop, all they had to do was stop propping it up.  So when they stop manipulating, they get accused by the USA of manipulating the Yuan!

YCMTSHU

Not quite right. They like to peg it to the $. But yeah, they can and have manipulated it as a matter of course.

1 hour ago, austin1972 said:

Not quite right. They like to peg it to the $. But yeah, they can and have manipulated it as a matter of course.

Well, it is right, because that's what they just did.  Normal ratio of 7Y to $1.  Couple of days ago it dropped 10% to below that ratio.  Haven't checked today but they did it as a warning I believe.  Looks like the US is still having trouble understanding the new order.

Shipping in goods from the cheapest place on the planet has not done anyone any good in the long run.  MacDonalds has not done the world any favours selling burgers made from the ashes of the Amazon.

6 hours ago, austin1972 said:

I was talking to a fellow farmer (Trump supporter as most here are). He runs his farm on notes already and said if this keeps up, he's already got plans to scram out of the country and start over.

So even being bankrupted and forced out of the country by Trump doesn't wake them up?

Ron White was more right than anybody could have imagined.

21 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

So even being bankrupted and forced out of the country by Trump doesn't wake them up?

Ron White was more right than anybody could have imagined.

They don't talk politics anymore. At least not like when that nigger was in office...

8 hours ago, austin1972 said:

We'll see how it plays. I was talking to a fellow farmer (Trump supporter as most here are). He runs his farm on notes already and said if this keeps up, he's already got plans to scram out of the country and start over.

I assume he knows he'll need a passport and working visa?

2 hours ago, austin1972 said:

They don't talk politics anymore. At least not like when that nigger was in office...

I absolutely loved it when Obama was Pres because I knew how those rednecks and other RW fuckwits were suffering.  That's why I wanted Hillary to win, so that the same people would continue to suffer with a Female as their leader.  That's just as bad for them.

So now we are paying the price, and I hope at least some of them have started to realise what they have done.  Those who do not regret it, are truly stupid and unsalvagable as the stupidity and global embarassment is far worse than anyone dared speculate.  Those who thought that the 'checks and balances' of the government machinery would contain the damage did not really contemplate that he would remove the machinery. 

The checks and balances have about as much value as thoughts and prayers.

15 hours ago, random said:

Whose business?

There is one best way to tell what is the correct strategy for humans, do the complete opposite to what Jerkz says.  Jerkz is a mouthpiece for non-human entities that have no morals.

No their isn't, clown.  What better way to ensure a countries food security than free trade?  That is how a country avoids ever having a famine.  And low prices are better for poor people.  Man you are stupid.  

11 hours ago, random said:

Shipping in goods from the cheapest place on the planet has not done anyone any good in the long run. 

Its only lifted a few billion people out of poverty.  

1 minute ago, jzk said:

Its only lifted a few billion people out of poverty.  

3458671_orig.png?393

5 minutes ago, random said:

3458671_orig.png?393

Yes it did randipshit.  Those people left subsistence farming to make a better life for themselves.  They can go back to eating garbage any time they like.  And the Chinese middle class has been created and is getting more wealthy.  That is why they continue to voluntarily work in those places.

What a dipshit.

1 minute ago, jzk said:

Yes it did randipshit.  Those people left subsistence farming to make a better life for themselves.  They can go back to eating garbage any time they like.  And the Chinese middle class has been created and is getting more wealthy.  That is why they continue to voluntarily work in those places.

What a dipshit.

Yeah, who would want to work in the open air?

7569e150-acff-11e6-b935-0fb7cf94c466_044

1 minute ago, random said:

Yeah, who would want to work in the open air?

7569e150-acff-11e6-b935-0fb7cf94c466_044

Those people want to work exactly where they are working.  That is why they left the open air and got those jobs to improve their lives.  China has lifted more people out of poverty in a shorter amount of time than anywhere in human history ever.  It used to be the US, but China didn't have to start from scratch the way we did.

Good thing for them that you are not their king.

13 minutes ago, random said:

We could do this ...

3763.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=forma

or we could do this ..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIxxDWXtN28hPtoNw3lzl

Holy fucking shit.  Random made a post with which I agree.  Those people can do either one of those things, among many other things as well.  So they do.  They do whichever one they think is best for them.  

7 hours ago, jzk said:

Holy fucking shit.  Random made a post with which I agree.  Those people can do either one of those things, among many other things as well.  So they do.  They do whichever one they think is best for them.  

They thought they were bettering themselves, but instead became slaves.  They once had all the food they could eat in a community of friends and relatives. 

Now they can't work long enough to put food on their table and they are in a city full of uncaring strangers with air that is killing them.

If only they had known.

3 hours ago, random said:

They thought they were bettering themselves, but instead became slaves.  They once had all the food they could eat in a community of friends and relatives. 

Now they can't work long enough to put food on their table and they are in a city full of uncaring strangers with air that is killing them.

If only they had known.

No, dipshit, half of them once died before age 10.  You, of course, can still go live like that if you want to.  And so can they.  I wonder why they don't.  

40 minutes ago, jzk said:

No, dipshit, half of them once died before age 10.  You, of course, can still go live like that if you want to.  And so can they.  I wonder why they don't.  

It can't possibly be nationalized health care, though...... you're pretty sure of that, eh?

- DSK

12 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

It can't possibly be nationalized health care, though...... you're pretty sure of that, eh?

- DSK

You think China lifted hundreds of millions of people out of poverty with some nationalized health care system?  Is that really how your brain works?

13 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:
14 hours ago, jzk said:

This makes sense

You asked a question. I provided an answer, one with a high factual content and high correlation

Then you said

1 hour ago, jzk said:

You think China lifted hundreds of millions of people out of poverty with some nationalized health care system?  Is that really how your brain works?

Does this make sense to you?

BTW it's very difficult or impossible to "go live like that" referring to subsistence farming. There is no untamed wilderness to homestead any more. Hasn't been for a long time, actually. And the people who own farmable land tend to want to make money off it, not let squatters eke out short miserable lives on it.

- DSK

It should shock how the Trumpists rabidly support massive tax increases on the US public which their Dear Leader propose..but for some reason it doesn't. Seems perfectly predictable. If anything, I would be shocked if they did not. 

8 hours ago, jzk said:

And the International Definition of Poverty is less than US$1.90 ppp.

I'm sure that's welcome by millions!

So they were once free to farm, had freedom, control of their own lives.  Now they get $2 a day and are slaves.  Nice work on the spin.

china-economy-working-class-production-l

2 hours ago, Mark K said:

It should shock how the Trumpists rabidly support massive tax increases on the US public which their Dear Leader propose..but for some reason it doesn't. Seems perfectly predictable. If anything, I would be shocked if they did not.   

They're too clueless to realize that it will be massive tax increases on them.

They truly think that Mexico will be paying for the wall and China will be paying for the tariffs.

They really are that stupid.

Isn't that the "original sin"?  The transference from the hunter-gatherer where you "worked" maybe 5 hours a day with less security to an agricultural society where you became a slave to the land.

13 minutes ago, Laker said:

Isn't that the "original sin"?  The transference from the hunter-gatherer where you "worked" maybe 5 hours a day with less security to an agricultural society where you became a slave to the land.

I dunno what anthropology books you read, or what you studied, but you seem to have things slightly askew.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

I dunno what anthropology books you read, or what you studied, but you seem to have things slightly askew.

Pretty standard theology from the United Church of Christ point of view.  Genesis 1 and 2 were definitely written by two different authors and the fact that they are so separated leads one in that direction.

3 hours ago, Laker said:

the hunter-gatherer where you "worked" maybe 5 hours a day 

:lol: Try worked constantly - and frequently went hungry.

All animals exist at a hunter-gatherer subsistence level. Their entire existence is spent looking for food. A few, like porpoises, are successful enough to have free time for play but they are few & far between.

1 hour ago, Laker said:

Pretty standard theology from the United Church of Christ point of view.  Genesis 1 and 2 were definitely written by two different authors and the fact that they are so separated leads one in that direction.

Those are not anthropology text books. Those are novels.

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

All animals exist at a hunter-gatherer subsistence level. Their entire existence is spent looking for food. A few, like porpoises, are successful enough to have free time for play but they are few & far between.

That's the old myth, yeah.  But the reality  -  based on observing modern-day hunter-gatherers, in the few places they've been able to carry on undisturbed  -  is that hunter-gatherers only spend a few hours a day hunting or gathering or cooking; and spend the rest of their time socializing, telling stories, gambling, engaging in ritual, and just hanging out. 

It's not like they can store up excess resources to get them through harder times, after all.  And it explains the colonial complaints about "lazy natives" where-ever and when-ever colonialist have tried to convert them to farming.

The flipside, of course, is the lack of anything resembling security.  Nobody's fat, and everyone's experienced real hunger, first-hand, in their lifetime.  When the dry season comes, or the rainy season, or the cold season... people die.

10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Vast generalisation.

In Australia those original inhabitants inland, yes they worked harder, digging yams in the desert.  Those on the coast had it easy.  They had stone fish traps, oysters on the rocks, stingrays to spear.  Plenty of food.  Biggest problem was stopping freeloaders from taking their patch.

There is nothing more moral or rewarding than hunting for the family, and fun too.  The successful hunter has no problems with entertainment or self worth.

22 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

This makes sense

You asked a question. I provided an answer, one with a high factual content and high correlation

Then you said

Does this make sense to you?

BTW it's very difficult or impossible to "go live like that" referring to subsistence farming. There is no untamed wilderness to homestead any more. Hasn't been for a long time, actually. And the people who own farmable land tend to want to make money off it, not let squatters eke out short miserable lives on it.

- DSK

Have you been to western China?  Do you have any what you are talking about?  Chinese are migrating from Western and North China to the cities to get jobs.  They can always go back.  I wonder why they aren't.  

15 hours ago, random said:

And the International Definition of Poverty is less than US$1.90 ppp.

I'm sure that's welcome by millions!

So they were once free to farm, had freedom, control of their own lives.  Now they get $2 a day and are slaves.  Nice work on the spin.

china-economy-working-class-production-l

Yes, thank you for citing the real definition of poverty.  I wonder why there is no poverty real in the US.

5 minutes ago, jzk said:

Have you been to western China?  Do you have any what you are talking about?  Chinese are migrating from Western and North China to the cities to get jobs.  They can always go back.  I wonder why they aren't.  

Because they are slaves and can't leave.  No money, no home, no hope.

That's why China has been the factory of the planet.

tiring-working-conditions.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, random said:

Because they are slaves and can't leave.  No money, no home, no hope.

That's why China has been the factory of the planet.

tiring-working-conditions.jpg

I suspect there is forced labor in China and all sorts of other oppressive things.  But 99% of the workers are free to go wherever they want.  But they choose the factories to make better lives for themselves.  The wage rate in China, in most cases, is now higher than in Mexico.  People are improving their skills, their productivity, and are becoming worth more.

Clowns like you who want to rule over people would prevent them from voluntarily choosing to work in the factory to lift themselves out of poverty. 

You, sir, are one evil bastard.

10 minutes ago, jzk said:

Clowns like you who want to rule over people would prevent them from voluntarily choosing to work in the factory to lift themselves out of poverty. 

You, sir, are one evil bastard.

no one said that you fucking weasel.

no offense to weasels.

I like how the rich white capitalists set the definition of poverty.

So if the criteria is US$1.90, that means that is they pay them US$2.00 they have 'lifted them out of poverty.

YCMTSU

6957f6c0d0642f9f2cd8644a2853f97a.jpg

1 hour ago, jzk said:

Did you actually read -any- of the posts you're "responding" to?

I'm sure you wonder about a lot of things, including why everybody including your mother considers you an idiot

- DSK

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Did you actually read -any- of the posts you're "responding" to?

I'm sure you wonder about a lot of things, including why everybody including your mother considers you an idiot

- DSK

Just this comment of yours, moron:

"BTW it's very difficult or impossible to "go live like that" referring to subsistence farming."

1 hour ago, random said:

This ...

dongchuan-china-september-27-2016-an-old

or would you prefer this?

4454969320a34f2800c8.jpg&client=amp-blog

It is very common for the Chinese to take a nap during their breaks.  What about it, dipshit?

1 minute ago, jzk said:

Just this comment of yours, moron:

"BTW it's very difficult or impossible to "go live like that" referring to subsistence farming."

That would explain why so many Chinese aren't doing it

At least, to everyone who isn't a pinhead. No surprise you don't understand it

- DSK

Only the biggest fucking morons, like those that inhabit PA would try to make the case that pre-industrial civilization was "better" than today's civilization.  Go wipe your ass with leaves, sleep outside, and be a hunter gatherer for a few weeks and see how it works out for you.  Even in the US, there are all kinds of public lands available for you to give it a try.

I hear even randipshit lives in a house.  How can that be?

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

That would explain why so many Chinese aren't doing it

At least, to everyone who isn't a pinhead. No surprise you don't understand it

- DSK

They aren't doing it, moron, because it fucking sucks, not because it is not "available" to them.  And, plenty still are doing it.

You really are stupid.  

15 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It may seem so, but for culture to advance, which we have, there must be surplus.  In their case it was time, in our case it is materials.  Making of religious places that are essentially rings of stone takes a lot of time.  There is great variability across cultures, but contrasts between modern hunter-gatherers such as in South Africa and modern goat herders in Iran show that the hunter-gatherers have plenty of time.  They can advance their civilization although they haven't.  The goat herders have none and can't.  There is the factor of life insecurity for the hunter-gatherer.  One can see that may be a reason for acceptance of the tyranny of agricultural existence.

The Parable of the Mexican Fisherman comes to mind in this discussion.  Where a stock broker talks to a Mexican fisherman about working harder and smarter just to remain in the same place.  The working harder and smarter only adds the dimension of security.

20 hours ago, Laker said:

It's a stretch to assume that people transitioned to agriculture because it was harder. 

17 minutes ago, Mark K said:
20 hours ago, Laker said:

It's a stretch to assume that people transitioned to agriculture because it was harder. 

Correct. It may be based on the subconscious egotistical need to tell oneself "I am so-o much smarter than all those primitive people back then" when the opposite is almost certainly true.

It's all about security. Going hungry sucks. Once a small group of people starts deliberately growing edible plants, watering and fertilizing them, etc etc, it would be very difficult for neighbors with a strong memory of famine to not copy them. Next thing you know, a whole region of people depending on crops.

And this plays back to "original sin" which I don't think was the transition, it was the farmer telling the nomad "stay the fuck out of my fields" when the nomad doesn't think of land as belonging to anybody, just that he need to wander around looking for food. And farmers would be more numerous and better armed than nomads.

If you like this kind of thing, 'Guns, Germs, And Steel' by Jared Diamond is the place to go get more of it.

- DSK

21 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

They're too clueless to realize that it will be massive tax increases on them.

They truly think that Mexico will be paying for the wall and China will be paying for the tariffs.

They really are that stupid.

They also don’t seem to realize that the billions in tariff “reparations” fRump is handing out come from evil taxes.  

Of course they’ve been living off farm subsidies so long they’re immune to understanding that they are part of the taker community.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Correct. It may be based on the subconscious egotistical need to tell oneself "I am so-o much smarter than all those primitive people back then" when the opposite is almost certainly true.

It's all about security. Going hungry sucks. Once a small group of people starts deliberately growing edible plants, watering and fertilizing them, etc etc, it would be very difficult for neighbors with a strong memory of famine to not copy them. Next thing you know, a whole region of people depending on crops.

And this plays back to "original sin" which I don't think was the transition, it was the farmer telling the nomad "stay the fuck out of my fields" when the nomad doesn't think of land as belonging to anybody, just that he need to wander around looking for food. And farmers would be more numerous and better armed than nomads.

If you like this kind of thing, 'Guns, Germs, And Steel' by Jared Diamond is the place to go get more of it.

- DSK

Original sin was about the apple and the fickle nature of Adam's Rib and the evil nature of snakes. As the tree was planted there by God, Adam wasn't an orchardist, so I don't see the relevance.

The "five hours a day" and "slave to the land" seems odd to me. Are you sure that farming required more than an average of "five hours a day"...like every day?   

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Likewise, The Source, by Michener covers this exact situation.

And it's a lot less dry (pardon the pun) reading

- DSK

6 hours ago, jzk said:

It is very common for the Chinese to take a nap during their breaks.  What about it, dipshit?

The exposé of China's forced labour camps shows why you might be wearing slave-made clothes

With China’s western-most province of Xinjiang being turned into a mass internment camp, this week's ABC Four Corners program reported on the Chinese Communist Party’s alleged plans to put up to a million detained Uyghurs to work.

The exposé highlights how global supply chains make it possible for the clothes you’re wearing, and many other things you own, to have been made using slavery.

The program featured the cases of several women who say they have been forced to work in textile factories. According to China scholar Adrian Zenz, government documents reveal plans for “re-education” through labour. Satellite photos show what look like large warehouses close to detention camps.

Target, Cotton On, Jeanswest, Dangerfield, IKEA and H&M are among the brands in Australia sourcing cotton from Xinjiang, according to Four Corners. In response to questions from the ABC, Target and Cotton On declared they would investigate their relationships with suppliers.

10 hours ago, Mark K said:

Harder but much less precarious?.

People make that choice all the time.

I prefer to listen to farmers, very worth a listen.  So much for being lifted out of poverty.

Rice based agriculture they work for 2 hours a day for 2 months of the year.

16 hours ago, jzk said:

I hear even randipshit lives in a house.  How can that be?

Yep, it's my house.  Like the guy in the video, I designed and built it myself.  I own it.  It's mine.

How much rent you paying your mother?

On 8/8/2019 at 5:09 PM, random said:

MacDonalds has not done the world any favours selling burgers made from the ashes of the Amazon.

o-MCSUPERSIZED-W-COWGIRLS-900.jpg.a531aac314402729c6b7ecc15e6985ed.jpg

4 hours ago, random said:

Yep, it's my house.  Like the guy in the video, I designed and built it myself.  I own it.  It's mine.

How much rent you paying your mother?

You own a house?  You have property?

So how did you enjoy the Tedx video?  Poor poor people those farmers.  They should stop it and get a job in a factory and be slaves on $2 a day.

16 minutes ago, random said:

So how did you enjoy the Tedx video?  Poor poor people those farmers.  They should stop it and get a job in a factory and be slaves on $2 a day.

Yeah, dipshit, the first thing we should do is implement his healthcare plan.  Just heal yourself.  Life is easy.  I think you should also live like birds and rats with no electricity, and no computers.  In fact, life would be fun and easy if only you would just get rid of your computer and electricity.

17 hours ago, Mark K said:

Original sin was about the apple and the fickle nature of Adam's Rib and the evil nature of snakes. As the tree was planted there by God, Adam wasn't an orchardist, so I don't see the relevance.

The "five hours a day" and "slave to the land" seems odd to me. Are you sure that farming required more than an average of "five hours a day"...like every day?   

Farming allowed more population density.   The work is seasonal, long hours planting between rain when soil temp and moisture are right, then much less work until harvest.   Long hours again, racing mold and spoilage, then much less work until the next planting,    This means a farming community has more people and intervals of free time.   This allows for the other great human invention, War.   Kill or enslave the neighboring hunter gatherers, take their land, and become an idle lord of the manor letting others do your work for you.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jzk said:

Yeah, dipshit, the first thing we should do is implement his healthcare plan

Where I live, great health care is free.  I win again!

Glad you liked the video though, proves that the factory slaves are truly fucked.

3 minutes ago, random said:

Where I live, great health care is free.  I win again!

Glad you liked the video though, proves that the factory slaves are truly fucked.

Dipshit, if all everyone did was farm rice 2 hours per day, there would be no  healthcare.  You have healthcare because of hard working capitalists.  Who printed the books that guy likes to read during his easy life?

Heal yourself.  Dipshits new health care plan.

3 minutes ago, jzk said:

Heal yourself.  Dipshits new health care plan.

That's fucking funni.  You watched it, thought the guy really had it sorted, but "what about healthcare!"

Looks like I'm fucking with your head good.

90693210-facial-expressions-attractive-m

The Most Dangerous Chinese Export isn't subject to any tariffs.

But Trump's next billion dollar tax increase will hit our electronics

From headphones to smartphones, from printers to speakers, the next round of tariffs on Chinese-made products is likely to be a $1 billion tax increase on consumer electronics.

President Donald Trump's earlier rounds of tariffs mostly avoided hitting consumer products and electronics—though the focus on manufacturing inputs meant some American tech firms got hit anyway if they import component parts from China, as many do. The next round of 10 percent tariffs, which Trump says will take effect on September 1, will hit almost all remaining un-tariffed imports from China.

That means personal and home electronics won't be spared much longer.

That's on top of the costs American tech companies are already facing. According to CTA, the industry paid $1.7 billion in tariffs in June of this year. That's eight times more than was paid in June 2018, despite the fact that consumer electronic imports from China had declined by 39 percent year over year. Trump imposed then first round of tariffs on Chinese imports in July of last year.

In short, Americans are importing fewer laptops, speakers, and other electronic items from China, and they're paying a higher price for the items they do buy. That's a good illustration of a few of the problems with Trump's tariff strategy. He has imposed a regressive tax that makes it more difficult for Americans to afford modern tech, while simultaneously whacking the blue-collar jobs that are supported by supply chains bringing televisions and other goods from American ports to local stores.

In June, Americans paid $6 billion in tariffs—one of the highest single-month totals, in nominal terms, in American history. Tariffs imposed by the Trump administration accounted for more than $3.4 billion of that overall total, according to a new analysis from Tarrifs Hurt The Heartland, an anti-tariff coalition of business groups.

"Americans are already paying record-high tariffs, and the biggest hit to consumers is still to come," said Johnathan Gold, a spokesman for the group.

Offered with the usual apology for posting more Koch-$pon$ored Trump cheerleading, of course.

11 minutes ago, random said:

That's fucking funni.  You watched it, thought the guy really had it sorted, but "what about healthcare!"

Looks like I'm fucking with your head good.

90693210-facial-expressions-attractive-m

Oh yeah, dipshit, you have completely changed my world view.  We should all grow rice and live in mud huts.  

The Florida Republican has suggested that all the revenue from President Trump’s tariffs on imports should be returned to the American people through tax cuts. After all, as Trump keeps telling us, China is paying us billions and billions right now.

So why not give that money back to us all?Of course, there is the little issue economists keep going on about, that it's really Americans paying those tariffs — as tariffs are actually just a tax on people who buy imports. But then that's even more reason to cut taxes, right?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/rick-scotts-brilliant-proposal-accidentally-reveals-everything-wrong-with-trumps-trade-war

4 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

President Trump blinked.

Was that before or after his impending political demise flashed before his eyes?

Is there anybody left in the Whitehouse that has the balls left to tell Donnie this whole tariffs bullshit is a really bad idea.

What if your newest and biggest (by far) customers are from China (mainland) Taiwan, and Belarus..... And your previous USA based customers just cancelled half their orders because of uncertainty in the industry that needs your product?..... Would you rejoice, or be unhappy?......

Or would you suspect that the US economy is looking at a major slump, while other areas are planning to expand?

On 8/11/2019 at 8:28 PM, frenchie said:

Harder but much less precarious?.

People make that choice all the time.

It's easier, most of the time. Civilization is where all the leisure time to build monuments and develop the arts happened. 

Less precarious? In some ways. However it does compel one to fight like hell to keep what you have from being stolen. Can't just run in the bush and go somewhere else anymore.  

• Like 1

Can Ttump win the trade war NOT!

some weapons at China's hands,

-devalue the yuan 

-stop sending stuff to US, which would shut down the longshoreman on the west cooast

-Stop buying US debt US T Bonds  (https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/16/ray-dalio-china-could-weaponize-us-treasury-holdings-in-trade-war.html)

-sell all  US bonds for gold

-Rich China men stop buying expensive homes in US

-Stop tourism to the US

-Pass on tariff's to the US consumer

-Stop buying US farm goods/products, (soy beans to john Deere tractors)

-Trump has a short period of time to get this done 2020, China has time on it's side , there thinking long term ,

not the tweet of the day

• Like 1

^

err , get with the program , it's over , China won .

Looks like Jerkz has fucked off or is just using a different sock?

Hooray For Tariffs!

The data are pretty clear. Tariffs are taxes on imports that translate into higher prices for American businesses and consumers. Navarro's claims that Americans aren't paying for them are economically illiterate nonsense. It would be one thing for the Trump administration to claim—as it has on some occasions—that the tariffs are a necessary burden for Americans to bear in pursuit of better trade deals, or as a means to getting China to change its bad behavior. But simply lying about the basic realities of the trade war serves only to undermine whatever strategy the White House is pursuing.

If Navarro's not convinced by the data, maybe he would be convinced by…Peter Navarro.

Last week, after announcing that new tariffs on Chinese imports would be postponed until mid-December to avoid soaking American consumers during the holiday shopping season, Navarro said the maneuver was "a Christmas present to the nation."

But why would that be a Christmas present to Americans if Americans aren't paying for the tariffs?

It's remarkable that the Trump administration has been able to ignore economic reality for as long as it has. But it's now becoming clear—on the stock market, in the polls, and from the White House's own jumbled messaging—that the economists were right all along: Tariffs are taxes, and Americans are footing the bill.

I'm as sorry as usual for posting more Koch-$pon$ored Trump cheerleading, of course.

32 minutes ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Hooray For Tariffs!

But why would that be a Christmas present to Americans if Americans aren't paying for the tariffs?

Jeebus Christ, you elites and your tedium of logic and reason. Don’t you remember that George W introduced  “creating new realities”? This is that!

Now it appears that the average American family will pay an extra $1000 because of tariffs on Chinese products. Of course you can't trust the source since it comes from that well-known leftie organization, JP Morgan.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/american-families-trump-china-tariffs-jpmorgan_n_5d5ade7ce4b04e1e14de8a9e

9 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Now it appears that the average American family will pay an extra $1000 because of tariffs on Chinese products. Of course you can't trust the source since it comes from that well-known leftie organization, JP Morgan.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/american-families-trump-china-tariffs-jpmorgan_n_5d5ade7ce4b04e1e14de8a9e

JPMorgan’s $12 Billion Bailout

34 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

But Alternative Reality Man said that China pays the tariffs. I believe him and I can’t afford to waste time arguing about it because I’m spending more money at Walmart these days and need to work more. 

Franks and beans.