wombat12m

Round Britain and Ireland Two Handed race 2018

The 2018 Round Britain and Ireland Two Handed race  starts on the 3rd June.Is there anyone out there who fancies nearly 2000nm miles of punishment,pain and some awesome sailing around the British isles. At the moment there are 4 multis entered.

Dazcat 10m Belladonna

TS42 Bittersharp

Dazcat 1195 Suenos

Dazcat 1495 Hissy Fit

(I think the Dazcat 1150 Bare Necessities is also entering).

Are there any European boats that might be persuaded to enter(in the past there have been lots of enteries from Holland,Germany and France)?

The race is split into 4 legs each with a 48 hr stopover.

First leg Plymouth to Kinsale in Ireland(230 nm)

second leg Kinsale to Barra(440 nm)

third leg Barra to Lerwick(420 nm)

fourth leg Lerwick to Lowestoft (470 nm)

final leg Lowestoft to Plymouth (305 nm)

More details at http://rwyc.org/rbandi/

BTW its also open to monohulls...about 15 entered already with an open 50 a class 40 and lots of cruiser racers.

• Like 2

RBR>    The formula, four legs with stop overs in such unusual and interesting places and the location makes it a great sailing race, open to all comers.   Of course I would say that in having lead the field with Toria in the first (1966) event.  Anyway I can recommend to anyone who has a performance boat and 3-4 weeks to spare.   It is another Blondie Hasler idea following the OSTAR (solo Atlantic).    For me it was a unique designed, built, skippered and won - to start a career which has kept me fully occupied ever since.  Some what disappointing to have so few multis entered.

Happy boating,

Derek

• Like 3

Multi Class = Dazcat class?

Dazcats love the RBI race.The last three editions 2006,2010 and 2014 were all won by the 10m Dazcat trimaran Paradox.

The race is a classic and has some reallly interesting open ocean and near coastal sailing with really changeable weather.DSCN3631small.jpg.15fe0f95583c5ec3628247a7eb7ae7de.jpg

Paradox

Shame there are no mid-size trimarans racing any more

Shame that there are no midsize trimarans racing anywhere on the MOCRA rating in the UK (east coast Dragonfly’s might be an exception)

shame that the guys that build Dazcats are still getting away with running the MOCRA rating committee!

• Downvote 1

19 hours ago, team vmg said:

Shame that there are no midsize trimarans racing anywhere on the MOCRA rating in the UK (east coast Dragonfly’s might be an exception)

shame that the guys that build Dazcats are still getting away with running the MOCRA rating committee!

There are two new UK based mid sized tri's in the final throws of being built and with luck they will race this year

As for MOCRA, I cannot comment on what they are ( or are not ) "getting away" with as I am relatively new to this whole multihull gig and MOCRA specifically. 

For me (as that multihull newbie), there seems to be way too many multihull rating rules. My hope is that one day I'll turn up on a start line and race other two handed boats irrespective of the number of hulls they have under a unified rating rule. Until that time I shall promote whatever I can and just keep banging on about a unified rating rule in the hope that someone listens.

A story from my first involvement with MOCRA rating rule back in 1969.    John Shuttleworth was working for me.   In designing GB 1V I decided to see what we could learn from the tank test data we had for 80ft. GB 111.   At the time, there was a World Multihull rule coming out of Ca.    It was amazingly complicated.  I was one of the MOCRA committee members looking at the possibility of a simpler rule.  I  even bought a programmable calculator (cost 2700 pounds sterling) to solve the equations.  John worked the calculator.  I can remember the day, I suddenly realized that we had the basis of a rating rule.   After all, there are only three main factors that can be in the formula - length, weight and Sail Area.  The calculator was redundant - the formula could be solved with a slide rule.   I gave our results to MOCRA.   Someone suggested that I would design the rule to favor the tris I was best known for at the time and I was asked to resign - which I did.

This is the first time i have looked back at the rule for a long time.  I see the inevitable complication added and do wonder if the results are much better.

I do  not believe anyone should be concerned that someone is tweaking the rule to suit a particular design.   After all the basics are simple enough to understand.

Happy boating,

Derek.

• Like 2

I struggle to see why not the stability should be a factor (how wide the multi is)? 

I agree, and I can see how not having stability in the formula could be seen as favouring trimarans :-) (as they are typically wider than cats).

Is 39' classed as 'mid-sized'? I'm building one...

As for the rating-rule I think it is disingenuous to imply that it has been rigged to favour Dazcats. I would suggest that the Dazcat guys know the rules well so they are building boats to take best advantage of it, that's just common sense for a niche performance yacht builder trying to hold their heads above water in a super competitive market. I would add that the guys there put more hours in to MOCRA both behind the scenes and supporting MOCRA racing than most of us... if it was left up to lazy types like me, MOCRA would cease to exist. 

• Like 1

I'm in, in my mid-sized trimaran... Have done it twice before, finished once, retired once. Proper sailing race.

Crappy photo (phone must be damp..) but some idea of the history of the race from the winners board at RWYC

IMG_1581.thumb.jpg.b79050dc0be6d9a7ab5e2b77d0b8ca1f.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CBGB said:

I'm in, in my mid-sized trimaran... Have done it twice before, finished once, retired once. Proper sailing race.

Crappy photo (phone must be damp..) but some idea of the history of the race from the winners board at RWYC

Hi,

Three years ago, daughter Toria and I walked into the new club premises - to be greeted by this board!!!

Derek.

• Like 3

Think the only way I'm going to get my name on there with legends like you Derek is with photoshop..!

• Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 9:59 PM, team vmg said:

AFAICT MOCRA favors tris (as do most multi rating formulas as they don't account for stablity) so it's not MOCRA's fault

Well why don't you go do it? From my perspective living in the US Dazcat as a company have been promoting MOCRA hard. The rule hasn't changed since forever i.e. since before someone from Dazcat has been involved.

• Like 1

Speng,the mocra rule is amended and tweaked most years to attempt to make it better.This year we have incorporated canting rigs,modified the way hulls are measured,changed the prop factors and changed the power factors for both length and sail area in an attempt to penalise larger boats.

As to the question of righting moment,the benifit of it changes with the amount of wind there is.I think everyone seems to forget that relatively heavy cruiser/racer catamarans have enormous righting moment because of their weight once the breeze is up.Also lighter open bridge deck cats benefit in moderate conditions at the point that they hull fly.

Tri's are not always favoured,therefore it is actually a hard thing to rate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wombat12m said:

As to the question of righting moment,the benifit of it changes with the amount of wind there is.I think everyone seems to forget that relatively heavy cruiser/racer catamarans have enormous righting moment because of their weight once the breeze is up.Also lighter open bridge deck cats benefit in moderate conditions at the point that they hull fly.

Tri's are not always favoured,therefore it is actually a hard thing to rate.

Yes the righting moment is a function of weight and arm - the rating take in weight as a very significant  factor - lighter is higher rating whatsoever - even on narrow boats that can result in very little capasity in windy conditions. Even normal wide multis can suffer in normal conditions if they are to light for the sail area. 

• Like 1

Bump. For RB&I challengers. Not moaning about ratings wimps

On 3/27/2018 at 11:05 AM, CBGB said:

That is a very impressive list of sailors and boats!!  Joan and Walter Greene, oh yeah.  Easier to read?  (below)  They need a bigger board.

RBR_winners.thumb.jpg.e8811adc1add280bf881a3d06dbed471.jpg

Hell of a fleet for the '85 race:

the mighty Novell Network

Apricot 

Sebago

Umupro Jardin

Gordano Goose

Colt Cars

Spirit of St Kitts

Travacrest Seaway

British Airways

My favourite was Paragon - she didn't seem to want to get her belly wet and sat ON TOP of the water!

RB&I 1.JPG

RB&I 2.JPG

On 3/6/2018 at 9:59 PM, team vmg said:

Shame you don't have the balls to put your name on that post.  TeamVMG huh?  More like team slander.

We did it in 2010 in a 31-1D (Freebird, ex-Rocketeer 3) and it was the most fun race I've ever done.  Its only drawback is the amount of time it takes during summers that get increasingly crowded.  It's perfect for a mid-sized tri, not too costly and really tests your seamanship......

Hi Grant as we are at the nervous stage about what we have bitten off .......great to hear your words

KR 

To update Wombats post there are 6 multis racing

Bittersharp - TS42 -- standard TS42 no modifications 

The Edge - Irens Tri 40

Then the 4 Dazcats

Hissy Fit D1495

Suenos D1195 plus stretch stern job to D ???? 

Bare Neceseties D1150 but apparently we are 1190 even though we have 1150 on the Hull --  good tactic when paying for berths! 

And Belladona D10 

There will be a YB tracker 

Bruce

52 years on since Toria and I still say - there is no other race to compare.   It is the race that has everything.  I certainly encourage others to enter.   It launched my career.

Happy boating,

Derek.

• Like 3

The Edge are soon in for the first leg - the wind will drop - so maybe some will loose a lot time before they crosses the line.

For the next legs - there will be so light  tings can take time.

The Edge in in at 10.44 - 30nm to go for Hizzy...

Bruce, don't be nervous - just enjoy.  you'll look back and wonder why you didn't do it before.

Good luck

Grant

As Grant says, it's great race and one of my best sailing memories. I hope the breeze fills in for the next leg.

Quite a difference in the trimaran count compared to the 1998 race, when I raced Shockwave in a fleet of 42 starters. These pre-start pics show the trimaran fleet assembled in QAB, including from foreground:

Mollymawk/FPC Greenaway - Bailey 40 - Race Winner after a huge battle with Spirit

Coulombel 40 tri

Acapella - Greene 35

Pandiono - Grainger 40

?? - 35? tri from France

Spirit of England - Fehrenbach/Owen Clark 43

Shockwave - Shuttleworth 34

Paradox - Dazcat 30

Not pictured:

Fiery Cross - Owen Clark 35 tri

ARS Albatros - Fortin 30 foil-assisted tri

The fleet also included 2x IMOCA 60, Outremer 43 cat, modified F40 cat etc

RBI98start_fleet.thumb.jpg.6b120c7acbe38b9593b0d1c4d0a191aa.jpgRBI98start_Class5.thumb.jpg.4d31d918959b034054198448255b40fd.jpg

"Review 2017" - those Dazcats look pretty sweet; some very cool big trimarans in this vid too (Sodebo doing 33 knots in 16 knots of wind, at 8:43)"