ordkhntr

Yacht club/sailing club member cards

My club is looking to improve what we do for member cards. Right now we just print off business like cards for ID's and laminate them. We redo them each year. I would like to come up with a more professional looking card. 

So, what does your club do? Do you get new ones every year? If you don't get new ones every year,  how would another club know if you're active or not?  Photos of said cards would be great too, 

Thanks 

RJ

The Cottage Park Yacht Club has your name and member number(seniority).  It also opens up the front door to the yacht club and comes loaded with $125 for use in the bar.

Or you can be like one club I am a member of and use the Card (with bar code) to track all your members, when they enter the premises or car park, track every purchase and save all the data.

And of course you are only allowed one card ( so no multiple card for car park access if you have more than one car) but you might give one your non member crew a card to enter the car park with sails etc heaven forbid!

Even need to card to enter the toilets.

You call!

• Like 1

I sailed with a character that finally got fed up with his club not issuing membership cards.  He owned a printing company and everyone who sailed with him became a lifetime member and had a card to prove it.

Ours are pretty simple with your name, membership number, and expiration date. You get a separate card to access the club in off hours.

16 minutes ago, lydia said:

Or you can be like one club I am a member of and use the Card (with bar code) to track all your members, when they enter the premises or car park, track every purchase and save all the data.

And of course you are only allowed one card ( so no multiple card for car park access if you have more than one car) but you might give one your non member crew a card to enter the car park with sails etc heaven forbid!

You call!

And they cost $200 for a replacement card. On the upside they do entitle the holder to one free pissed hairdresser every Friday night. 

22 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I sailed with a character that finally got fed up with his club not issuing membership cards.  He owned a printing company and everyone who sailed with him became a lifetime member and had a card to prove it.

I got one of those too!  Still have it and use it when and if needed.

We're not that fancy...barely have a clubhouse, no bar, restaurant or anything like that. I am just thinking of something that will look professional and will be recognized by other clubs as well. 

1 hour ago, Geff said:

I got one of those too!  Still have it and use it when and if needed.

Hey B, 

Hope you are well and I thought the term character for J was kind.  One of a kind for sure.

My club has simple card with club's name, address, telephone, web site and burgee. Also includes member name, number, and membership expiration date (so current card reads December 31, 2018). They are mailed in January each year.

I visited another club in a different state recently and presented my home club's card so I could have lunch there. They took me to the manager's office and asked me for identification to see if I was the person on the card. Passed that test. Then they called my home club to see if I was a current member even though I presented a card stating such. My home club confirmed membership so passed that test too. I did not hang around for the cavity search which I figured was next. Left and had lunch elsewhere.

Not a Yottie, but most of the places that I visit on business pop out a pretty professional-looking photo ID badge in less than a minute at the security desk.  Well, for that matter, so does the gym.  There are all kinds of software packages.  Perhaps more important is what benefits you might negotiate for the holders of such cards.  

The Royal Hong Kong's card has the members blood group and next of kin details on the back.

52 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

The Royal Hong Kong's card has the members blood group and next of kin details on the back.

Might be handy to have on the back of it "If not claimed within 24 hours, please return to (address)"

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

LB, you so got to take that to the Membership Committee before the next Rumble in Rocky.

Save the paramedics a heap of time!

Doesn't look like a lot of clubs do branding. Most of our members go for the ten-year brand, instead of the yearly branding.

Declining membership, I don't know why.

12 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Hey B, 

Hope you are well and I thought the term character for J was kind.  One of a kind for sure.

Right on, C20!  He still is that much of a character.  In fact, J will be 94 this weekend.  They broke the mold when they made that one.

12 hours ago, sail2win said:

My club has simple card with club's name, address, telephone, web site and burgee. Also includes member name, number, and membership expiration date (so current card reads December 31, 2018). They are mailed in January each year.

I visited another club in a different state recently and presented my home club's card so I could have lunch there. They took me to the manager's office and asked me for identification to see if I was the person on the card. Passed that test. Then they called my home club to see if I was a current member even though I presented a card stating such. My home club confirmed membership so passed that test too. I did not hang around for the cavity search which I figured was next. Left and had lunch elsewhere.

my club doesn't have any cards

i don't really think they serve any purpose - the main reason i can think of would be visiting another club.., and in my experience.., either the other club doesn't care at all who you are.., or they do care.., and they want to contact your club and get a letter saying you are a member in good standing. either way, the card is useless

51 minutes ago, us7070 said:

visiting another club, in my experience either the other club doesn't care at all who you are, or they do care and they want to contact your club and get a letter saying you are a member in good standing.

Before visiting another club, I will contact the secretary of one of my clubs and explain where and when I plan to visit. They then email the secretary of the other club and ask them to accommodate me. So far, this has always worked well and been quite painless.

I suppose a card might potentially be helpful for more spontaneous drop-in visits. They have helped me obtain discounts at ship's chandleries, so that's one benefit.

15 hours ago, lydia said:

Wow. That sounds pretty awful: members treated like customers rather than owners.

Or, why not  join the rest of the 21st century and format a device-responsive image that can be downloaded or emailed to members and used on their phones? It can contain QR codes, bar codes, whatever tracking mechanisms  your club uses...?

Any remotely tech-competent member should be able to do this for you in short order. 

The clubs and associations I am a member of dropped sending cards:

1. No one ever asked me to show one.
2. I keep them for a year on the dresser, then threw them out.

They are a waste of time and money.  Skip it!

12 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

The clubs and associations I am a member of dropped sending cards:

1. No one ever asked me to show one.
2. I keep them for a year on the dresser, then threw them out.

They are a waste of time and money.  Skip it!

Even modern people doing business don't use business cards anymore. Everything's a link or a digital contact. The last time I got a business was from a 65+ year-old, and when he handed them to people at the table, they acted like they were receiving a dead fish...

Why not chisel the club info into a stone slab that people can cart around on the back of a chariot?

1 hour ago, Peanut Butter said:

Even modern people doing business don't use business cards anymore. Everything's a link or a digital contact. The last time I got a business was from a 65+ year-old, and when he handed them to people at the table, they acted like they were receiving a dead fish.

That's your experience, which I respect ... but it is far from universal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peanut Butter said:

Or, why not  join the rest of the 21st century and format a device-responsive image that can be downloaded or emailed to members and used on their phones? It can contain QR codes, bar codes, whatever tracking mechanisms  your club uses...?

Any remotely tech-competent member should be able to do this for you in short order. 

Because there probably isn't a group of people better at drowning phones than yacht club members.  Plastic is more durable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Svanen said:

That's your experience, which I respect ... but it is far from universal.

He hasn't worked in Asia either.

21 hours ago, ordkhntr said:

We're not that fancy...barely have a clubhouse, no bar, restaurant or anything like that. I am just thinking of something that will look professional and will be recognized by other clubs as well. 

We have a credit card looking thing with your name and member number with the burgee. Every year the club sends a sticker to put in place for the valid year.  

2 minutes ago, Peanut Butter said:

Actually, yes, I have. And while my peers in software back home were just getting started on Palm Pilots, I saw grandmothers using them over there like they were born to it...

You have peers? You don't sound like someone who has peers.