P_Wop

Classic Airstream motor home for sale

3 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

The sale to Europe went TU?

yeah, it's gone a bit slow

59 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

yeah, it's gone a bit slow

Too bad, it looks like a brilliant ride.

• Like 1

Yes, I think the transport logistics to Europe looked a bit too daunting.  She would be an excellent toy here, however.

Is it weaponized?  I'm thinking about attending OCS. I'm walkin' tall, lookin' good...

Stripes_664a.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Is it weaponized?  I'm thinking about attending OCS. I'm walkin' tall, lookin' good...

Stripes_664a.jpg

It's stupid I know... but I love that movie. 

Whats the MPG?

21 minutes ago, Editor said:

got any interior pics?

Interior pix coming later today.  I'll post them in this thread.

16 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Whats the MPG?

Ranges from 7 to 10 MPG, depending on where and how you're driving. Over 65, up hills, or pulling a trailer of course this will be worse, perhaps 5 MPG.

After all, she's 16,000 pounds.

how big is the fuel tank, tanks?

8 minutes ago, VWAP said:

how big is the fuel tank, tanks?

80 US gallons

Will you change the name of this site to Land Yacht Anarchy?

actually not a bad price considering airstream pricing today.

beautiful looking coach. what trans is in it? 

15 minutes ago, Editor said:

the thing looks awesome. i am interested.

Excellent.  I will pm you

7 minutes ago, avenger79 said:

actually not a bad price considering airstream pricing today.

beautiful looking coach. what trans is in it? 

Thanks.  My mate Roger spent a fair fistful of dosh on this thing.  Runs as good as it looks.

I'll find out about the transmission, but I believe it's the original spec.  

Just now, P_Wop said:

Thanks.  My mate Roger spent a fair fistful of dosh on this thing.  Runs as good as it looks.

I'll find out about the transmission, but I believe it's the original spec.  

sounds good. 

I spent the last weekend looking at brand new RV's but an old Airstream would be so much cooler. new ones come with a lot of plastic.

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

Stripes_664a.jpg

A true Uban Assault Vehicle.. Who gets the top bunk and who gets the bottom bunk? Gorgeous vehicle. 

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

If you have to ask....

exactly what I was thinking.

I pull my current TT with a 3500 Chevy and get asked that a lot. the answer is generally the same. 

3 hours ago, Editor said:

the thing looks awesome. i am interested.

But will you own it for more than 6 months?

5 hours ago, Editor said:

got any interior pics?

OK, Scooter, here you go.

Airstream_int_1.jpg

Airstream_int_2.jpg

Airstream_int_3.jpg

24 minutes ago, F'g Dinosaur said:

I don't think it is designed to outrun the IRS or  child support payments........but you never know........multiple licence plates have value.

It's a passion palace.  The racer-chasers will be all over you like a rash.  And the great thing about air suspension is that IT DOESN'T SQUEAK!

Something to ponder when thinking about buying one of those things - take a look in the storage yards of the bailiff and  repo outfits.

They are always 1/2 full of big motorhomes.

I bought a really nice (no dents in the skins) Argosy 28 foot motorhome several years back. Before Airstream came out with the motorhome line, they wanted to be sure that they didn't hurt their excellent reputation for quality and would try out new ideas and stuff on their Argosy line of trailers. The idea of a self propelled motorhome instead of a trailer was a real dilemma for their management and if it worked as an Argosy then they would add it to the Airstream 'premium' lineup. The only real difference was the top panel at both ends was pressed steel rather that aluminum. I guess the compounding on those panels was pretty extreme and much cheaper done in steel than aluminum and the bodies were painted rather than the anodized finish on the Airstreams. I sandblasted mine down to bare metal and the steel panels were a bit pitted but then I sprayed everything in an aluminized paint and then clear coated over that. It wasn't cheap but it looked like the newer anodized Airstream trailers. I had totally stripped the interior and floorboards and had put in marine ply epoxy coated floorboards as leaks into the original orange shag carpet had rotten out the original untreated ply floors. That was probably why I was able to get it for only $6000. I was going to do a yacht joinery grade interior and was replacing all the window seals before getting into the high priced joinery when the rig was stolen from parked next to my Dad's beach condo! I was shocked to drive by after a Christmas Party and see it was gone. I called all the law agencies (city and county) and they said that someone must have had a big semi capacity wrecker to haul it off due to its size. Only one county sheriff dectective really seemed to give a shit and suggested that I call the few towing outfits with such big tow trucks and see what I could find out. I turned out that someone had paid a wrecker to tow my SILVER BULLET 50 miles up county to the aluminum recycling place!  The detective found out that there was a crime ring doing the same thing with any truck such as step vans that had aluminum and eventually over 50 vehicles got stolen in this manner. I hate to think how little scrap aluminum they got for the SILVER BULLET. Now Trump wants to charge 25% tariff on aluminum.

Not mine but a good example of a sister Argosy 28

Image result for argosy 28 motorhome

Maybe if I had done mine into a Woody like this it wouldn't have gotten stolen.

Image result for argosy 28 motorhome

Good story, Rasper.  Bad luck on that.  I hate people that do that sort of shit.

Another pic of our beast.  And no, the International tracked vehicle (and the military tank as well) aren't included.

IMG_7839.jpg

Yeah, I really screwed up letting the Argosy sit all winter in a nearly abandoned beach town. I'm looking for a Sprinter FedEx Mercedes 5 cyl diesel van to do a conversion now. My FedEx guy just told me he was selling his route (and Sprinters) to his brother and to not get my hopes up because they usually drive them until the wheels fall off! The Argosy had a big 454 V-8 and was a real gas hog and I like the mileage the Sprinters get.

Here is a sweet Argosy 'Bambi' 20'er with a 305 cu in that just auctioned of for $35000!

1975 AIRSTREAM ARGOSY MOTORHOME

1975 AIRSTREAM ARGOSY MOTORHOME

Here is the story of the Airstream/Argosy galvanised end cap situation. The Wally Bynum Airstream Club really looked down on the off name nature of the Argosy and wouldn't permit membership of them for decades!

http://viewrvs.com/blog/2012/09/18/argosy-galvanized-caps/

Here is my ultimate land yacht. Just swap the dinghy for a 29'er and head for the regattas!

Image result for ford treasury of station wagon living

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Something to ponder when thinking about buying one of those things - take a look in the storage yards of the bailiff and  repo outfits.

They are always 1/2 full of big motorhomes.

Yea  mostly ones that were lived in on the street by now homeless people. 

Almost always never buy a motor home or trailor that has been lived in. 

6 hours ago, RKoch said:

If you have to ask....

I have a diesel toy hauler for the boat with a slid out and was curious what a gas motor home that size got

e44b262e944cc7fcbe7925947757f461.jpg

• Like 1

P Wop,  that is an awesome Regatta-mobile !  

Man,  a guy with the right selection of beach cats and skiffs could make a career out of cross-country yachting with that vessel.

1 hour ago, VWAP said:

I have a diesel toy hauler for the boat with a slid out and was curious what a gas motor home that size got

prolly gets 8 just like yours, just wont tow half the weight.

Some more data on the big Airstream:

*  All tires new last year.  She's done 3,000 miles on them, on a 50,000 mile warranty.

* About 80,000 total miles.  She's powered by the legendary 454 engine, which was updated with a Jasper 100,000 mile guaranteed replacement engine in 2015, about 10,000 miles ago (by the original owners) and the balance of the warranty remains and is transferable. 

Mine had that big 454. What a thirsty monster when hauling around that kind of acreage!  Watch out for exhaust header studs breaking. That had been taken care of by the PO on mine but something to keep an eye on. Not sure how you do that on one of those. I wonder if and exhaust temp readout might make sense to keep tabs on things when working hard as in the mountains. 

What's it rate?

.......... can't believe no one's asked yet......

Well, we've finally run out of patience with the Euro buyer who has been messing about for 4 months now.  So it's seriously for sale now - price dropped from $37k to $34k.

Come and get it!  Or we can deliver, as long as it's California or a Western State.

On 3/6/2018 at 11:37 AM, avenger79 said:

what trans is in it? 

RuPaul B)

1 hour ago, BillDBastard said:

That's a fact Jack.

Is P.J. Souls hot or what?

What.

1200px-PJ_Soles_MCN_04_(17107831008).jpg

17 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Trans probably a 4L80e 

I think the Allison boxes came with the newer 8.1l engine

4L80 started in 91.

It's most likely at Turbo 400.  Th400.

No overdrive but pretty bulletproof

17 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

That's a fact Jack.

Is P.J. Souls hot or what?

Short answer 

NO

D14D6EB2-D9C6-4DBE-AD41-3D69DC1F799D.jpeg

OK, we really would like to find a home for the classic 89 Airstream.  Price now reduced from $37k to $32k, and even that might be negotiable.

Roll up, guys!