ASP

Southern Straits 2018

Who's coming? What's the weather gonna do? Be a quick race like last year or a warm and balmy one like 2016. 

Thoughts on the course selection this year?

SOUTHERN STRAITS TECH TALK
Thursday, March 22nd: Southern Straits “ Tactics, Weather, Safety and Race Preparation” 7:00 pm Main Clubhouse

This Tech Talk is presented by Peter Salusbury, skipper of Longboard, who has raced in 43 Straits Races dating back to 1970 and Rich Alban who brings decades of Straits Race experience to the talk. Peter and Rich will share their experience on how to prepare for the race, share their thoughts on how to tackle this year’s course from a tactical perspective, look at the long range weather forecast for the race, discuss critical safety considerations and the collision regulations, and provide tips on how to execute your race strategy with a focus on night time sailing.  Please join us on March 22nd at 7:00pm for this valuable presentation.

Dusty Mauch will be there.  Who else?

10-day forecasts are pretty laughable. Fine with the warm part of that though..

I guess this is #10 for me.  I want wind.  Somebody please provide that.  Thank you.

GFS says 2 knots. ECMWF says 27 knots. So, it will be... something.

That race seems to alternate drifters with gear busters and last year was pretty light IIRC.

4 hours ago, ASP said:

GFS says 30-35 friday night. It'll change..

Not sure where you're seeing that, but it's not in the GFS runs today ...

5 minutes ago, Cirdan said:

Not sure where you're seeing that, but it's not in the GFS runs today ...

Sorry, meant PWG

Well done Schnick for the Medium Course overall win and Roleur for your excellent finish as well. 

On the long course, Blue and her little sister Longboard showed how potent those Bieker boats can be. 

Can't complain, it was an excellent weekend even if the results didn't go our way, maybe it's time to bring the boat to California and go downwind in more than 12 knots of breeze :)

I can't imagine better weather for SS than we had, especially for DH.  99% of the race in 10-20, clear skies, full moon, and no moisture at night made a mighty fine sail.  I can't help but wonder how we could have done if we'd just had one extra set of hands to skirt the damn genoa.  We must have tacked 20 times and every one of them was painfully slow and I'm still tired from all the grinding.  Next race we are going to try actually having crew.  

I thought Schock 35's favored the light stuff.  Wouldn't have known it from Schnick's results.  That boat was really impressive upwind.  They sailed boat for boat with the J/111 on both upwind legs.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys we had a good race.  I dont know if you guys saw from where you were but we were changing between light/med and heavy Genoas a lot to try to hang with the J boats, and we still slowly bled our early lead away by Entrance.  The boat does like to go upwind though - high mode is almost always in effect.

A really good start can make a surprising amount of difference in this race too, and we managed that pretty well.  Even Daia didn't get past us until almost Pt. Atkinson.

I'm sorry but those aren't the corrected finish results. This makes it sound like The Shadow 2 won, which they didn't... by almost an hour and a half!!!!! Just saying