SecondWindNC

Does your dinghy have a name?

Someone on another SA thread suggested "Capricious" for a Capri 14.2 name, and it's starting to grow on me.  I suck at coming up with names for things: email addresses, passwords, screen names, etc., but this seems pretty fitting given the 14.2 can, in the right conditions, be a bit of a handful to sail.  And while "given to sudden and 'unaccountable' changes in mood or direction" is arguably not a perfect description of sailboat behavior, it's a cute play on the word.  At 10 characters long, it would fit nicely in the center of the transom, split down the middle by the rudder.  I'm not sure I need to add the city where the boat it kept and used, though.  

Splitting the name down the middle with the rudder would also help break it up so that people would be more likely to "get it". :P

So what's the deal with naming something as small as a sailing dinghy?  I was under the impression that if my vessel was less than 16' long, I could add a name just for fun, and not have to tell anyone, like the USCG or DMV, anything about it.  

- W

fullsizeoutput_bad.jpeg

• Like 1

As far as the DMV or USCG is concerned you can slap whatever name you want on the transom, and change it weekly if your heart desires.

Now what Neptune thinks of that is another matter. I'd at least pour out a little of your beer when you apply the vinyl. ;)

For some reason this photo isn't loading upthread, so here's what I ended up doing.

20180402-182619.jpg

If you can't find me at the office, it's because I'm on Assignment.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jethrow said:

nice parallel twist between the genoa and main... :D

Tightening up the backstay might fix that.;)

Gotta cut me some slack on the sail trim - I'm still figuring this boat out, and there are a lot of different ways to tweak and adjust, far more than I'm used to as a primarily keelboat cruising sailor. I think that was my second time out. I had missed something in routing the stays such that I couldn't get them tighter. Despite the lack of genoa halyard tension we had her moving pretty well and had a blast that day.

2 hours ago, PaulK said:

Tightening up the backstay might fix that.;)

It's an FD, it don't have a backstay dork, but shroud tens might be helpful.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SecondWindNC said:

Gotta cut me some slack on the sail trim - I'm still figuring this boat out, and there are a lot of different ways to tweak and adjust, far more than I'm used to as a primarily keelboat cruising sailor. I think that was my second time out. I had missed something in routing the stays such that I couldn't get them tighter. Despite the lack of genoa halyard tension we had her moving pretty well and had a blast that day.

The Dutchman will be a fun boat, moves well. Kinda wet for casual daysailing but nothing wrong with that.

Because it has a fair amount of power, you'll want to be able to depower it as the wind picks up from fun to hiking hard (REALLY fun) to oh-shit. Setting up for optimal rig tension (optimal for -that- boat, modern Dutchmen crank it by the ton and you don't want/need to try that) and good sail controls. I'd suggest a way to get good halyard tension on both jib and main, plus split vang & cunningham for the main, plus a good working roller furler for the jib. Adjusting the genoa halyard tension would also be helpful but it works in much smaller increments, just making the genoa disappear when it becomes a PITA is gold.

Next.... big-ass asymmetric chute!!

FB- Doug

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

The Dutchman will be a fun boat, moves well. Kinda wet for casual daysailing but nothing wrong with that.

Because it has a fair amount of power, you'll want to be able to depower it as the wind picks up from fun to hiking hard (REALLY fun) to oh-shit. Setting up for optimal rig tension (optimal for -that- boat, modern Dutchmen crank it by the ton and you don't want/need to try that) and good sail controls. I'd suggest a way to get good halyard tension on both jib and main, plus split vang & cunningham for the main, plus a good working roller furler for the jib. Adjusting the genoa halyard tension would also be helpful but it works in much smaller increments, just making the genoa disappear when it becomes a PITA is gold.

Next.... big-ass asymmetric chute!!

FB- Doug

So freakin sad, had just completed the total redo, with 23 sq meter kite and 10' sprit, all burnt to ground in shop fire, never got to sail her. WILL find another some day and do same, really easy to retro fit a retractable sprit and rigging, exactly like my AC.

And happy to share any and all, might have pix saved.

Edited by ortegakid
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ortegakid said:

It's an FD, it don't have a backstay dork, but shroud tens might be helpful.

;)

I know.  Went to Hyères with a guy who had an FD. 

2 hours ago, ortegakid said:

So freakin sad, had just completed the total redo, with 23 sq meter kite and 10' sprit, all burnt to ground in shop fire, never got to sail her. WILL find another some day and do same, really easy to retro fit a retractable sprit and rigging, exactly like my AC.

And happy to share any and all, might have pix saved.

Wait--WHAT???!!!

On 8/29/2019 at 3:53 PM, Winston29 said:

^^^  Wow, that's a cool looking boat! ^^^  What is it?  

Oh, and thanks for the answer.  

- W

it's what you are going to aspire to after you outgrow your Capri with the quasi trapeze contraption.

Rodney_Pattisson_and_Christopher_Davies_

71056.jpg71054.jpg

• Like 4

When built in 2007 by the Rocket Surgeon (Marty Johnson) in Nomex/prepreg and painted silver it was Rolls Royce quality and named Silver Shadow. 2019-02-16_CLub_Race_St_Georges_Sydney_0901.thumb.jpg.07209eef10903be657e2c3fcd4c3d1d9.jpg

After 12 year of hard work, several owners and several upgrades, it now grey and  just a SHADOW of its former self. #3102 predates both Bladerider and Mach2. (Oldest foiler in the up coming Perth worlds, both boat and skipper, so do not expect too much).

• Like 5

My local dinghy club used to hassle me about a name for my beater Laser. I wrote Anonymous on the sign in sheet. She’s still got the name eight years later.

That reminds me of this:

I still have no name on some of my boats.

I suppose I should do something about that.

But will the boat take affront to being named after 10 years?

My Albacore is Binky, my Laser is Zoomie and when its restored my Sailfish will be Flop.  All are nicknames for things rabbits do.

20190622_190506.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/30/2019 at 12:17 PM, MrXC said:

My Albacore is Binky, my Laser is Zoomie and when its restored my Sailfish will be Flop.  All are nicknames for things rabbits do.

20190622_190506.jpg

Do you tow them with this?
1983-vw-rabbit-gti-front-quarter-2.jpg

• Like 1

Im torn between Kelly C-larkson or C-lark griswold for my c-lark 14.  

• Like 1

Bought a Force 5 this summer. Naming it Holy Hand Grenade- a) because it's bright yellow and b) because I've never raced a dinghy before. I expect to be causing havoc with it this season :)