SecondWindNC

Does your dinghy have a name?

Kind of a silly topic I guess, but I'm pondering where to put a name on the Flying Dutchman I'm cleaning up, and I got curious about whether or not most of the boats in this subforum get names. I figure dinghies in club and racing fleets may just have numbers, but a boat's a boat, so I imagine many have been named.

So, does your dinghy have a name, what is it, is it on the hull, and if so, where? (Have a pic?)

For what it's worth I'm considering naming her Assignment. (I'm working on Assignment this weekend har har.)

She has drain flaps on the transom, and of course the rudder, so there's not enough open real estate there. Topsides aft is the most likely place I think. Not much room between the water and the sheer, but having it up towards the bow seems like it would look odd.

5 minutes ago, SecondWindNC said:

Kind of a silly topic I guess, but I'm pondering where to put a name on the Flying Dutchman I'm cleaning up, and I got curious about whether or not most of the boats in this subforum get names. I figure dinghies in club and racing fleets may just have numbers, but a boat's a boat, so I imagine many have been named.

So, does your dinghy have a name, what is it, is it on the hull, and if so, where? (Have a pic?)

For what it's worth I'm considering naming her Assignment. (I'm working on Assignment this weekend har har.)

She has drain flaps on the transom, and of course the rudder, so there's not enough open real estate there. Topsides aft is the most likely place I think. Not much room between the water and the sheer, but having it up towards the bow seems like it would look odd.

An Assignment

• Downvote 1

All of my boats have names. 

• Like 1

ALL MINE HAVE ALSO, ALL were names of rivers in LOTR; ANDUIN, CELDUIN, RAUROS, except for my latest jewel which came from UK with her name already on her; STELLA.

• Like 1

Don’t normally keep them long enough to get attached to them, so no names.

Yes.

I was sailing on a boat named Woody

Now I have Blue Balls

• Like 1

5aa04dacf3ff1_Etoiletransom.JPG.706642fd205bd6c758566d2118bf5ad7.JPG

• Like 2

No names on dinghies.  This started when I was sailing with an ex-navy guy and the topic came up.  He said "The lifeboats on my ship didn't have names, and they were 40' long"

Boats in the development classes usually have names in the UK, the more anonymous and characterless SMOds less so.

12 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Yes. But you'll never guess it in a million years.

Let me guess. FastYacht.

• Like 1

I call my boat 'The Red Lantern', because like it's namesake on freight trains, my boat is the last thing to pull into the station/finish the race

• Like 2

varied from race to race, leg to leg.... none of them not vulgar... 

• Like 1

A lot of my boats have had names, a lot of them have not. I had a 470 that was a nice royal blue and named "Royalist" which got me yelled at by some Canadian who though it had political importance. My purple Lightning was named "Plummer."

Some boats have come with OK names already on them. Some have had really stupid names I couldn't stand- our cruising boat was named "Climax" which might be OK for either a Cigarette boat or a boat owned by a guy named Max. We changed it to a family name which sounded nice and tug-boat-y (although the lady in question, from Mrs Steam's family, was quite graceful and gracious). My Buccaneers do not currently have names but I have thought of several.

FB- Doug

Finn, no. OK dinghy, yes. Windsurfers, no.  ( With all the graphics? & and the ones I built, no) Laser no.  Thinking about naming the K1.  Always name keelboats

I just write something down in the spot on the reg form on race day. Something that makes me laugh but nobody else ever does. There are maybe 5 names have used more than once. Sometimes I put the name on the boat with that shoe polish bottle window paint, extra sloppy with runs. The IC I bought last year has a name that I like fine, I'll let it be.

My laser was called "Fat Buoy Swim" ... but now I've lost 27kg it might be renamed "Slightly Less Fat Buoy Swim"!!

• Like 1

No name.  Hull number on bow, raked font to give the illusion of speed. lol

If It Doesn't Come When You Call It, Why Give It A Name?

IIDCWYCIWGIAN for short

• Like 1

A. Floater

#2 A. Floater

Wedgewood: this was a mistake on class registration, though it was box for colour (wedgewood blue)

Never got a good name for the 49er, still thinking of things for RS800...

• Like 1

This looks about right to me in terms of placement and size. My hull is all blue so I won't have the benefit of a painted waterline to help line it up.

maxresdefault.jpg

Do I have to make this a guessing game? Come on and somebody tell me about this boat name. I'll think of a prize for the winner.

Sash weights?

Lord Farrquaad and it'll carry a little graphic representation of one of my favourite quotes of his.

xsn97.jpg

WTF ? Do those letters even spell anything?  Nice decoration but apparently you must ingest something hallucinogenic in order to read it !

21 minutes ago, edward mason said:

WTF ? Do those letters even spell anything?  Nice decoration but apparently you must ingest something hallucinogenic in order to read it !

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.jpg

I spelled it out early in the thread and though since this thread was Flying Dutchman related someone would have made the connection by now. 

My first FD was named the Flying Tomato BTW. 

I name my dinghies after songs that seem to relate to the boat. My moth was Vertigo, my IC was Magic Carpet Ride, you get the gist... ;)

Opps, forgot the Finn. Fatty Finn, not a song but well, I'm a rebel! :lol:

• Like 1

The West Aussie moth fleet have a tradition to rename boats if someone forgets to sign on or is late for a regatta. recent 'family friendly' names include "im a little teapot", "lord farquart", "fluffy pillows", and "the mobility scooter". 

Always. Even when I'm demoing UFOs out of the shop I name them. The current demo boat is named Krombopulos Michael, who people may know from Rick and Morty

DRC

My old (like 75k) yellow laser was called "Sun of the beach".

• Like 2

My foiler is 'Crisis.'  Could be applied to either when I bought it (mid-life and all that) or my sailing technique (edge of disaster.)  My purpose on the water is to keep the on-lookers entertained.

My low-rider moth is 'Three sheets.'  Initially because she was rigged for an asym spin (main, port, stbd sheets) but it also fit well for a good evening.

• Like 2

My old moth is "down the mine" and I guess I do not have to explain why :D

New ship yet to be named

• Like 1

I used to race an I14 named blue fOOted bOObie.  The name was written in nipple font, so there were dots in the Os.

When we upgraded I14s, the new one got named bOObie tOO.  Though the Canadian fleet frequently refers to her as Implants since she's the boobie upgrade.

• Like 2

Not a dinghy but my kayak is named Killer Sperm.

I was gonna name the dinghy Miss Molly till my wife said 'I miss her too.' Yeah, I know... moving along.

So Mischief it is.

The Registration Firm at the Easter Laser Regatta has: “boat name contest. Be clever. Don’t bore the Head Bunny.“

We have had some fantastic names presented over the 35 years. 

One year we freely admitted who had a very clever /amusing name and gave its creator third prize. There was no second prize. We didn’t want to encourage copy cats, but the name was great—- Keene’s a Weenie

We gave Keene the best name award for “refraining from retaliation,”’

name those toys!!!

Laser........'Blue Cloud Over Texas',,, after a summer of coaching at Fort Worth Boat Club, '79,,start of LYRA

........'Oven 7'... after a long flight from europe, on psychedelics,, staring at the kitchen  :blink:

..... 'LRT'   ....'BART' ....AWB(average white boat)

...last racing laser.... 'Anominoesis',, dedicated to a subjective knowledge of anomalies.

Finns.... ''Gidget Goes to Hell''... "Tots in Bondage''.....''Dyspareunia''(look it up!)  ...other local boats were...'Dark Wet Place',,, CLIROTIS,,,, rough crowd those Finn sailors of the 80's,, buncha pansies now :mellow:

US25.... "Das Bot"

On 2018-03-07 at 3:49 PM, ericrayl said:

I was sailing with an ex-navy guy and the topic came up.  He said "The lifeboats on my ship didn't have names, and they were 40' long"

It’s been many years since warships carried boats rather than rafts. And service whalers were only 27’ long.

6 hours ago, Svanen said:

It’s been many years since warships carried boats rather than rafts. And service whalers were only 27’ long.

To be fair, warships carry boats today - sometimes several.  At least one of those boats is typically known as the 'rescue boat' or lifeboat - whichever one is rigged and dedicated to quick launching.  We had boats of all sizes.  The standard UB (utility boat) ranged from 22 to 65 feet, but the whaleboats were only 26 or 28 feet.

Once upon a time they were cleverly named UB 1, UB 2, etc.  Today, when most ships carry two RHIBs (rigid hulled inflatables) they tend to have names.  Mine were Arleigh and Bobbie (ship was the ARLEIGH BURKE), a sister ship has Pork and Spare.

My first FD was named Suzi"s Ski Trip by its previous owner , because thats what she missed out on for him to buy the boat .I threatened to call it Sooky Suzi , much to his wife disgust but ended up reverting it to its original name 'Liquidator'

In another class i borrowed a new un-named boat to do a nationals  which i promptly textered 'The Pork Hunt ' across its transom . The owner just didn't get it when he got it back and was wandering around his house repeating the name ,shaking his head until his daughter said "Dad listen to what your saying"

I seem to be one of those people who likes to name things.

My truck is Candy, my toaster is Fred,  the catamaran is Happy Hour, and my FD is Distraction (I can't walk by it without fiddling with something).

I bought a San Juan 21 last summer as it is the closest thing to one design racing on the lake.

I'm not sure I can live up to it's name but have not had any problems finding talented crew.IMG_20180318_215241.thumb.jpg.1dd1784e94c508632a74acac6bf64be4.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 6:33 PM, Amati said:

Finn, no. OK dinghy, yes. Windsurfers, no.  ( With all the graphics? & and the ones I built, no) Laser no.  Thinking about naming the K1.  Always name keelboats

Oh- K1 will be

3F81F788-513E-4C0D-90EA-C7DE3FD9620D.png.e22af7e47c71c6cccc4cb301557f57cb.png

My Force 5: "Wee Bit"

All of the skin on frame kayaks I've built are longer, 'cept one. Ain't polite to discuss her width.

She's definitely getting a name, dinghy or not. Any boat I put this much work into is going to have a name.

Always name them-  UFO #58 will be "Wicked Uncle Ernie" (thanks to Pete Townshend)

Previously-  Laser was "Biltong"   (meant jerked meat)

505s  --   "Cuzzin Cokayne" (in the red lettering style of Coca- Cola)

Lindsay #1 was "Just a kiss away"

Had a bumper sticker (magic marker on the transom)  "I'd rather be #*@king"   (not every one at the NAs was happy with that one)-that was in response to all the "I'd rather be fishing, hunting, sailing, flying, ect-  but I was also in my early 20s

Forgot the others (I had a lot of 505s over the years

Just a fun thing to do-I have a lot more names picked out, but no other boats for the moment.

I have a very yellow weta and i have a E650 called Slippery Deck when i register my weta it gets a variety of names , wetandslippery, B3 (bananas in pyjamas), Lady finger (bananas).

So you have an FD!  Woot Woot! 

I own "The Wounded Moose Deuce" -- and I suspect that I "raced" against the Flying Tomato in Santa Cruz a long time ago, if it was the same one, something like 80 gallons of water gushed out on the beach after racing. 

Putting the name on the side is best, I think for FD.  Noone can see the back, anyway, and on my Lindsay, there isn't any back, just a big open hole. 

Post a pic of your boat! !  

the wounded moose deuce.jpg

• Like 1

I've used these guys for the reflective lettering... it really pops, especially when trailering or low light.  Streetglo  They also have an online tool to see what it will look like. 

Yep.

My wife's boat.

I rig it....while she socializes.

I steer it....she's not interested.

I hike out.....she does not do "hiking out".

I wash it, pack it up, I sand it and paint it. She is the owner after all.

But her "Poppet" must always be in the pink.

image.jpg

• Like 1

I had a Laser 2 called Graphical User Interface. Raced it at the World's (Many years ago) at Lake Como in Italy. Race Officer was gonna DSQ me for breaking Rule xx (the one about advertising). I ended up black taping up the name in order to race. Advertising what? I asked the RO in the Jury room....

On 3/7/2018 at 10:19 PM, Dex Sawash said:

I just write something down in the spot on the reg form on race day. Something that makes me laugh but nobody else ever does. There are maybe 5 names have used more than once. Sometimes I put the name on the boat with that shoe polish bottle window paint, extra sloppy with runs. The IC I bought last year has a name that I like fine, I'll let it be.

Always made me laugh

Inspired me to do much the same

Helps me with my indecisiveness.

My favorites were 

Thing 2 (Dex at NC gov cup)

Black Magic Marker ( me after reading Dex's story about the black highlighter)

My colleagues were keen to name mine "Touching Buoys"

16 hours ago, SecondWindNC said:

Y'all have gone above and beyond, I have enjoyed the input. 

20180402_182619.jpg

now that's a good looking boat! if you make it out to central NC any time this season it'd be cool to see it on the water

• Like 1

The origin of my boat is that it was won as a prize on "The Price is Right".

Keeping with the original history, and due to my constant zigzaging and not really being able to tell with 100% certainty where I will end up, I have named my boat:
Plinko

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, DialedN_07 said:

The origin of my boat is that it was won as a prize on "The Price is Right".

Keeping with the original history, and due to my constant zigzaging and not really being able to tell with 100% certainty where I will end up, I have named my boat:
Plinko

By far, the best game on TPIR

• Like 1

wait, the one with the little yodeling lederhosen man may be better. Matterhorn?

• Like 1

Just now, Dex Sawash said:

wait, the one with the little yodeling lederhosen man may be better. Matterhorn?

Hahaha! yes, I remember the ol' yodeler. The game was Cliffhanger

x2 on Plinko being the best game.  People lose their minds when the Plinko board comes out

The big dinghy is "$1.18", because, well, I'm not very creative, and the wee dinghy is "заяц".

My 1st dinghy (an Enterprise) was called Turbo Charged Veggie Burger.

Race officers generally wrote TCVB on their sheets.

• Like 1

Fun topic NC!

Laser: 'Red Drum' but name is not on the boat. There is a sticker of a Red Snapper on the transom. Yes there is a story behind all this... LOL

Buccaneer: 'Spanish Mackerel' I don't know how/why I came up with that name other that I am obsessed with fishing for Spanish Mackerel. Boat is seafoam green so fish matches the boat and then it just kinda stuck. I figure fast fish/fast boat! I'll try to remember to take a few pics to post this weekend.

Previous Buccaneer is 'Kick'em Jenny' named after the underwater volcano off Grenada. Always liked that name, cool the current owner liked it too and kept it.

I remember  seeing a dinghy called "This way down"....  It was painted on the bottom of the dinghy... 

My first boat, a laser was called "Selachii" by the previous owner, a marine biologist.  It's the Latin classification for sharks.

The second boat a Lysander 17, was called "Skua",  by the previous owner, a bit inappropriate, a fat duck might have been more correct. 

The third boat, a Lark, I called "Soggy Doggy,"  SWMBOs hobby was breeding rough collies.. 

The fourth boat, an Osprey,  was called "Soggy Doggy Too". 

My third boat, my own home design and build,  was built while I was in Saudi, there not being much else to do,  therefore  it had to be registered there.  Now while I was building, a friend tried to have his families  boats named after his children,  the registrations came back,  Rabbit 1, Rabbit 2, Rabbit 3.

Dogs are not approved of by Muslims , but they do like the moon.. 

So knowing the above,  I named the boat, qamer azarq, "Blue Moon", and that was accepted  as it's registered  name. What they didn't know was, it was named after our Blue Merle Rough Collie,  "Baron Blue Moon"

See my first post, but now that I'm a leadmine owner, we have decided that keel boats have to be a person, so a ranger 22.......Aragorn.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 11:46 AM, The Q said:

I remember  seeing a dinghy called "This way down"....  It was painted on the bottom of the dinghy... 

"

My Bucc has  Hydrophilic painted on the transom.  I keep meaning to paint “Hydrophobic” on the mast to avoid tempting fate so much.

When I was a teenager  I named my laser BOHICA