DanimalNZ

Yacht surveyor in Netherlands

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a good yacht surveyor in the Netherlands?  Possibly someone who could provide some advice re requirements for putting a yacht into commercial survey there.

Thanks, NZD

Be very wary of the HISWA (Dutch marine surveyors assn) boat sales contract.  Unless defects amounting to 10% of the contract value are found and agreed with the vendor, you have to buy the boat, or lose your deposit.  Also, the standard HISWA survey is something of a tick box exercise. 

I got caught out a few years ago.  I did not believe the structural faults found could be repaired cheaply. Keel off, bulkheads replaced, mast step rebuilt etc, so I walked away forfeiting the deposit.

I've got an English translation of the contract I could send you.  Doing it again, I would send a surveyor from the UK and insist on a UK type contract, were you can walk away without loss, incidental expenses excluded.

• Like 2

You might like to contact my old mate Kim Skov-Nielsen http://yachtmarinesurveyor.com/ 

Good big boat sailor and engineer, speaks multiple languages, including a fair bit of Dutch, lived in the UK for some time, but now based in South of Spain.  He travels extensively. 

He's a very good surveyor, with all the credentials.  Have a browse round his site to see.

Say hi from me.  We shared a house in Lymington back in 88. 

+1 for Kim, though his travel costs may be hard to keep down? Raced with him quite a bit in the 80s.

On 3/8/2018 at 4:07 PM, DanimalNZ said:

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a good yacht surveyor in the Netherlands?  Possibly someone who could provide some advice re requirements for putting a yacht into commercial survey there.

Thanks, NZD

If its a buyers survey , For a netherlands build, , find its build number,  then contact the ship yard and ask for the chief engineer to look the boat over.

this is for hull and structure  .... the  build engineer knows the boat history well. Things like past warranty claims , build defects and the known service life of marine equipment 

.when defects are found the original shipyard is best equiped to perform the works. . The netherlands is an expensive place...on the positive side they are very efficient and can accomplish 30 days worth of work in 30 days . 

for rigs a specialized surveyor is needed. 

In Medemblik ,  a rigging company called Aplus can handle all rigging surveys and may be a good contact for any general survey work or introduction to the  local marine industry 

https://www.aplusrigging.nl/projects

I have worked with them for many years...