HalyardsHigh

Event Insurance

We're looking to host our first regatta in about 10 years at CU Boulder, but have been told we can't do it at Union res unless we get the event insured. It seems like water events are pretty hard to find insurance for, so any suggestions on where to turn here would be much appreciated. 

Try Gowrie out of annap. 

I could run it by K&K as well. 

They do an assortment of special event programs. 

20 hours ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

I could run it by K&K as well. 

Do you have a connection to K&K? I couldn't find anything on their website for this specific type of thing.

1 hour ago, HalyardsHigh said:

Do you have a connection to K&K? I couldn't find anything on their website for this specific type of thing.

we do some business with them,

mostly concerts, weddings and the like.

never have done a regatta.  but you never know, one of their markets may entertain the exposure.

Would you consider an annual policy?  if you have an organization now, say a  boat club  you could easily get a GL/marine liability (P&I) policy

for close to the same money you'll spend on an event policy.

The Gowrie Group insures most of my yacht club's regattas.  They are based out of CT.  Good Luck!

Look exactly what type of insurance they are asking for. Probably all you need is:

- (General) Third Party Liability Insurance (when you or your team as an organzier hurt/damage a third party - will pay if it your fault or will protect you (legal costs) if you are not liable)

- Property Insurance for Equipment you are renting (or rent equipment which comes with insurance)

Anything else in regard of insurances should be avoided - those costs usually are not worth the protection (I work in this business, our sailing club does not buy any other insurances). Make sure that you all participants will sign the usual participant letter which would limit your liability (as far as legally possible). Perhaps any club member is a lawyer - get her/him help you.

Good luck!

You got me hooked. I had a closer look into this. I do not know the site, but if the requirements are listed here https://www.longmontcolorado.gov/departments/departments-a-d/city-clerk/licenses-and-permits/special-events-permits

All you need is  Certificate of Insurance:

1) Combined Single Limit of $1,000,000; ("This is General Liability. the Limit is pretty low. You should get a reasonable quote")

2) Must name the City of Longmont as an Additional Insured; ("Usually an usual extension for the General Liability Insurance, this should come at no additional premium")

3) If serving/selling alcohol, must include Liquor Liability ("Well, this might be unavoidable - good that this is not required in Germany")

Name of Gowrie Group had been raised before. They offer a complete package https://www.gowrie.com/USSailingPrograms/BurgeeProgram.aspx which you do not need to cover those requirements. So all you need is explained here e.g. http://skippersplan.com/sail-canada/water-regatta-liability/  .

Hope this helps..

10 minutes ago, Knut Grotzki said:

Hope this helps..

Yeah that's a huge help actually. I reached out to Gowrie group to see what we can work out; seems like that's the way to go for something like this.