Sign in to follow this  
Erwankerauzen

Moth Foiler & Back bone issue

Hi Moth Sailors,

The more I get info about your little boats, the more it seems attractive to me, small, light, fast & HiTec

But my main concern is the sailing position of the crew when he wants to achieve maximum righting moment, with his 2 feet under the strip, and the bum outside the wing.

As I have a back-bone problem (a disk is damaged between L1 and S1) , I dont know if the position above described could be harmfull and would preclude me to sail this fun machine.

Thanks in advance for your comments & infos

Erwan

Best to talk to your physio and/or GP about this. I suspect that no one here is qualified to give you medical advice. Maybe show your physio a picture of someone sailing a moth? That way, they can get an idea of the various stresses that hiking places on the spine. Anecdotally, there seems to be a lot of evidence that hiking is hard on the back. As fun as I'm sure moths are, I wouldn't risk my spine health for one. 

• Like 1

Thanks Dohertpk,

It is wise to ask a physio, I planned it, but wanted to have a little idea, it seems you provided it

Thanks again

Cheers

Erwan

Best of luck. If the physio says 'no' to hiking, you can always get yourself a trapeze boat! 

Hiking the moth is little different from hiking a planing boat. Its the inevitable crashes while learning to foil which you should be concerned with if you have a pre existing injury.

• Like 1

Phil: I know that Chris Rashley had a serious issue with his back just prior to the 2015 Worlds, but was still able to compete & place very near the top. Do you know more precisely what his injury involved and what he had to do to cope with it?

• Like 1

I saw Chris at Sorrento looking pretty sore, we had a few light days then some too light or too windy to race which would have given him a few days rest, but he raced well on the last few windy days despite the back trouble. No idea how he hurt himself, but I think it was before the regatta started.

• Like 1

Erwan

While I agree with the advice to ask a healthcare professional, what do you sail currently? Although Moths have their own peculiarities, the way you describe hiking the Moth is the way any hiking dinghy is sailed, feet under the toestrap and butt over the side of the boat.

I think every back injury is different, but with my back injury, I actually find hiking better than trapezing because with hiking, you engage your core muscles and this supports the back better. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Team_GBR said:

Erwan

While I agree with the advice to ask a healthcare professional, what do you sail currently? Although Moths have their own peculiarities, the way you describe hiking the Moth is the way any hiking dinghy is sailed, feet under the toestrap and butt over the side of the boat.

I think every back injury is different, but with my back injury, I actually find hiking better than trapezing because with hiking, you engage your core muscles and this supports the back better. 

I had back surgery (correcting scoliosis) last year, and once I recovered, sailing was fine, trapping definitely feels better, and my back does hurt after a few days at a regatta.  My problem was L2-C5, so it may be different from your experience, as your injury is much lower. In chop (on planing boats at least) yo pivot your shoulders on the lower back (maybe L4 down) to keep the boat from stuffing a wave. This could also be a problem. Good luck!

• Like 1

I second everybody who says to talk with a professional.

I'd also do some specific training for the abs. Having good core strenght is vital to have more relief on the back when hiking, at least in the moth (i have no real experience in other hiking boats). Last year i did some training with an expert and my world completely changed... no more back pain in the middle of the upwind leg :)

• Like 1

Thank You Everybody for your contribution,

So far I have been sailing only Cat, and especially non-foiler A-Cats. Trapezing doesn't create problem with my back so far, but I am afraid to take risk with my knees trapezing on foils with footstrap.

That is why I exploring something different.

My back bone problem is L1-S1.

I resume swimming  2000 meters every 3 days to get good global fit before to address abs seriously as suggested by 17Mika Team-GBR PhilS among other

Fair Winds to all

Cheers

Erwan

Post Scriptum: The potential of aero improvement of the Moth rig makes it is also very attractive, for recreational CFD.