Myouri

Waterline J/105

What is the opinion of a Waterline J/105 vs a TPI? Same goes for sparcraft rig vs hall mast?

Thanks

Good sailors can win with any boat and rig, bad sailors can't win with either boat or rig.  Worry less about the differences in boat and rig, and more about how you can improve your sailing and the crew's proficiency.  I promise you will win more races that way...

Waterline is handlaid fiberglass and NOT scrimp.  According to smart people, that is the way to go, either a pre-scrimp TPI boat or if you can find one, a Waterline boat.  I also heard they are light and need max correctors.

The boat I sail on has a Hall Spar and it is beautiful.  I have not seen the Sparcraft, but they are supposed to be the same (wink wink...)

Good luck.

Anybody have any idea of how many 105’s Waterline built or what hull numbers they built?

The waterline boat(s) that have appeared in our harbors seem to need correcting weight.  The composite work down below is flush and less joiner work.

Pre scrimp would be my next choice but like ours, we are 24 yrs old and still kicking ass!

Am I correct in remembering that the Euro boats had masthead kites? I'd bring one of those baddies here to the states, stick it in a waterline 105, and go out and beat up on people. 

2 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Am I correct in remembering that the Euro boats had masthead kites? I'd bring one of those baddies here to the states, stick it in a waterline 105, and go out and beat up on people. 

or just had jumpers and runners to a 105 mast and fly a kite from the standard rig... (i think the euro boats have a beefier top/less taper). While you're at it, move the shrouds inboard, replace the RF with a tufluf, replace the keel and rudder, put a new hull in the middle, and go fast. or something. 

10 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

or just had jumpers and runners to a 105 mast and fly a kite from the standard rig... (i think the euro boats have a beefier top/less taper). While you're at it, move the shrouds inboard, replace the RF with a tufluf, replace the keel and rudder, put a new hull in the middle, and go fast. or something. 

IC37 got it

10 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

+1

Nah, you just need enough wind! This boat loves the kind of wind we have in Cape Town which is often over 25kts. This pic is with the fractional A4.5 and even though the waves are not so big we get up around 19 kts in the right conditions. Record with this spinnaker is 22.3kts but in much bigger swell off the East Coast during a long distance (300nm) race. 1404585_10205371877201864_6882767708708764594_o.thumb.jpg.87a9420d48885f210e66427bfb970448.jpg

From the research I found US Watercraft started building at hull number 672. Last built one shown on class website is 685. Hull 672,681,682,683,684 and 685 are in Chile. Hull 674 and 675 are not listed. I now own hull 677.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2018 at 8:13 PM, Crash said:

Good sailors can win with any boat and rig, bad sailors can't win with either boat or rig.  Worry less about the differences in boat and rig, and more about how you can improve your sailing and the crew's proficiency.  I promise you will win more races that way...

Dude, you have no idea who you are condescending to.  This guy does plenty of winning and has a top notch crew.  

Jack,

You are of course, correct.  That is one of the problems of a forum site like this.  And going back and reading what I wrote, it was condescending as well.  My apologies Myouri.

Crash

Guys here in SF who were fast with the Hall mast and then had breakages and had to replace with Sparcraft struggled for speed and point. I don't know what changed, but it took about a season and all of those boats are competitive now - there are three or four from a fleet of 20. No-one here worries about which mast a boat is using any more.