Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jack Sparrow

Buying a J/80...

Looking into buying a J/80. Wondering if there is anything in particular I should look at, beyond the obvious cosmetics,  rigging,  soft spots in deck, hull. I have inspected solid glass boats for my own purchases, as well as helping with rigging surveys for other peoples boats. Cored hull is new to me. I've heard that some of the early J/80's had keels fall off, and I'd really not like to go down that path. I plan on hiring a surveyor to look at the boat before agreeing to purchase, is there any specific qualification? I know surveyors have accreditation, but are there any in the Northeast (ME, MA) that are particularly familiar with j/Boats? Or am I overthinking this process and should just hire anyone who is accredited and qualified? Boat is in the Marblehead area. I am in Maine.  

Any constructive input would be appreciated!

Re surveyor:  E.F. Barnes out of Gloucester is very familiar with cored hulls.  I think he did a good and thorough job on my Express.  Can't speak to J/Boats specifically.  Hill & Lowden in M'head have been J/Boat dealers for decades.  They might be able to point to local experts.

Chainp!ates are aways an area of concern. On the 80, that means the deck area around the chainplates. The bulkhead behind the sprit is also prone to cracking if rammed by the spirt (no preventer knot in tack line). Gosh, what else... Loose gudgeons. Without an inspection port, very difficult to tighten. Think wrench taped/clamped to a 10' pole, or sawzall. Spreaders, should be no movement or wiggle room. Mast straight. Jib foil straight (early ones were metal) Actually, there is not a lot to worry about. They are not referred to as dump trucks for nothing. They are built like them.

What’s with the J80 uptick in Maine all a-sudden?

must be more than some big event coming to town...

I was asked the same question.  Seems to be some people buying a few in Maine.  I was asked by a guy at the local YC about why buy a J80 versus a 70 or even a Melges.  It seems like a pain in the ass to have a boat that always needs to be hoist launched or at a boatyard when you can trailer launch the others....

I'm not sure if he went j80 or not, but there was a lot of locals trying to get him to go that route.  

On 3/13/2018 at 9:32 AM, mgs said:

What’s with the J80 uptick in Maine all a-sudden?

must be more than some big event coming to town...

There's a couple on Casco Bay, where I intend to race. The fleet up in Boothbay seems to be doing fairly well. I didn't realize that they are hosting East Coasts in August until just now. 

I think some people are downsizing from bigger boats because it's a pain to get crew. The J80 isn't as fast as the m24 but you don't need a really sharp crew to keep it upright, which is part of the appeal. 

Looked at the boat yesterday after talking to several surveyors and local friends in the composites/boat repair business. Took a moisture meter and some instructions from J/boats on what to look for around the keel floor/sump area. Bulkheads, chainplates, rudder hardware all looked good. I may end up replacing the standing rigging because it's a lot cheaper than a mast,  and I think it's pushing the 10 year cycle. Everything else checked out from my non-professional eye. Next step is having Gene Barnes go over it as a pre-purchase survey, and that'll be the last step before buying it! Thanks for the suggestions. Starting to get excited for this new adventure. 

Way to go, Captain J!

Great boat - had one for 4 years - sad to see it go - fills a gap in the market - 80% the performance of the Melges or J70 - and you can keep it on a mooring and take family for a sail.....

They still get massive numbers for regattas in Europe - where folks are less prone to buying the latest brochure.

3 hours ago, Black Jack said:

Since the thread is still quite active... How is the J80 as a camper/weekender? 

I had custom cushions made for camping. 4" foam covered in quality fabric for v-berth which was great for my 6'2" body. 3" foam covered in fabric for the quarter berths for the two kids. Quarter berth cushions would just fit in the cockpit, so on nice nights I would rig a boom tent, or not, and the kids enjoyed the heck out of sleeping "outside" while I and whoever enjoyed privacy below. No bathroom facilities, but you can deal with that. Propane camp stove for cooking onshore (coffee). Plenty of room for cooler. Kids can eat cereal. They are young and will recover. Great memories of J80 camping, and I bet the kids would agree. Key is keeping them entertained (things like inflatable kayaks work great).

13 hours ago, Varan said:

I had custom cushions made for camping. 4" foam covered in quality fabric for v-berth which was great for my 6'2" body. 3" foam covered in fabric for the quarter berths for the two kids. Quarter berth cushions would just fit in the cockpit, so on nice nights I would rig a boom tent, or not, and the kids enjoyed the heck out of sleeping "outside" while I and whoever enjoyed privacy below. No bathroom facilities, but you can deal with that. Propane camp stove for cooking onshore (coffee). Plenty of room for cooler. Kids can eat cereal. They are young and will recover. Great memories of J80 camping, and I bet the kids would agree. Key is keeping them entertained (things like inflatable kayaks work great).

Sounds exactly what I need. Thanks!