bushsailor

Brisbane to Gladstone 2018

The BtoG is coming around again. We are looking forward to it immensely, the first day is the highlight of our sailing year.

Rushour is only at about 85% but it is what it is. Hopefully that will improve over the next few weeks.

There is a warm up regatta coming up this weekend which has 22 entry's and climbing. Hopefully more cruisers will get involved in the racing scene. Where are those 35 cruisers from Hammo?? 

Talk it up guys!!!!

How come you are you only at 85% Bushsailor? Have you lost some sails or put on weight? is there any issues from the recent capsize?

All the best for the coming regatta and B2G. is there anywhere where us punters can see the entry list?

1 hour ago, bushsailor said:

The BtoG is coming around again. We are looking forward to it immensely, the first day is the highlight of our sailing year.

Rushour is only at about 85% but it is what it is. Hopefully that will improve over the next few weeks.

There is a warm up regatta coming up this weekend which has 22 entry's and climbing. Hopefully more cruisers will get involved in the racing scene. Where are those 35 cruisers from Hammo?? 

Talk it up guys!!!!

Great to hear you are back at it 

Main reason is we have not raced the boat much and getting her around a race course is a bit of a mission!!!

Also main is stretched to hell, GPL is not as tough as we thought.

Rig is not right either, waiting for new chain plate attachment points to be made, which seems to take forever.

Also kicking off regatta with a new kite which has not been tested or even made yet so...... could be interesting.

Also found cracks in the carbon rudder stocks so have to make new rudders and get them aligned this week.

All of this takes the focus off actually sailing the boat fast.

No issues from the capsize though except for the main stretch. I should have insisted on a new one.

Squaretop you should dust the old girl out for this weekend, should be fun.

Is this a beach cat race or a larger multihull race? 

31 minutes ago, BboySlug said:

Is this a beach cat race or a larger multihull race? 

Larger

Ah rats, I was thinking that this would be Aussie equivalent to the Great Texas 300 or the Florida 300. :( 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BboySlug said:

Ah rats, I was thinking that this would be Aussie equivalent to the Great Texas 300 or the Florida 300. :( 

Fantastic race though. 

2 hours ago, BboySlug said:

Wow, you really are new too the southern ocean.... 

While your at it, check out the coastal classic, it’s in your new backyard. 

Here are the results:

And for those not from round here -

Boat works is an Extreme 40.  

Corsair 760 is a Corsair 760

Double Black Diamond is a Seawind 1160 Lite

Scarlett is a Seawind 1160 Deluxe

OMR D1.png

OMR D2.png

PHRF D1.png

PHRF D2.png

PHRF d3.png

On 3/12/2018 at 2:04 PM, bushsailor said:

Main reason is we have not raced the boat much and getting her around a race course is a bit of a mission!!!

Also main is stretched to hell, GPL is not as tough as we thought.

Rig is not right either, waiting for new chain plate attachment points to be made, which seems to take forever.

Also kicking off regatta with a new kite which has not been tested or even made yet so...... could be interesting.

Also found cracks in the carbon rudder stocks so have to make new rudders and get them aligned this week.

All of this takes the focus off actually sailing the boat fast.

No issues from the capsize though except for the main stretch. I should have insisted on a new one.

Squaretop you should dust the old girl out for this weekend, should be fun.

How did it all go after your rushed prep...?

It was a great weekend.

Light wind obviously does not suit a 50' cat sailing against lightweight racers but we were happy.

Friday we had rig tune issues and new kite needs to soak more so our vmg was off.

Sorted it Saturday morning and nailed the windward leeward race coming second. (No boat would beat the Formula 40 in those conditions and she is flying with new sails)

Afternoon passage race was short tacking in shore against current which was not good for us and the little boats kept up. Then a little Diam 24 sailed half way up the finish line to make us crash tack but Karma got them back the next day.

Sunday passage was downwind vmg for 20 miles in 8 to 12 kn. We were racing XL2 and Dirty Deeds which gave us the opportunity to figure the best VMG for the new kite.

They got away around an island but we ran them down across the bay which was pleasing as the conditions were perfect for them. We then parked up with no wind for an hour or so, next to them. Anchored, swam, drank beer and watched the rest of the fleet sail up to us.

Still plenty of work to do but really good progress.

And our starts are shit, I can not bring myself to drive a tennis court aggressively on the start line.

• Like 2

Should you start a new thread for your recent regatta? isn't this a thread about B2G?

Speaking of B2G, I hear Top Gun is out for family reasons, that makes it a bit easier for the front runners and anyone chasing an OMR win. 

Dumb questions dept:

Anyone seen a B2G 2018 Multihull starters list? 

11 hours ago, ozmultis said:

Here are the results:

And for those not from round here -

Boat works is an Extreme 40.  

Corsair 760 is a Corsair 760

Double Black Diamond is a Seawind 1160 Lite

Scarlett is a Seawind 1160 Deluxe

Interesting that the 1160  Lite , Double Black Diamond was slower than the 1160 Talisker in all races except 1.  

No suprise the 1160 Deluxe was the s l o w e s t boat in its class.

• Downvote 1

Boats that I know of:

Rushour

Boss Racing

Avalanche

cut loose

big bird

storm bay

Fantasia

Attitude

No Problem

Hasta La Vista

about 4 more who I can not think of.

2 hours ago, overlay said:

Interesting that the 1160  Lite , Double Black Diamond was slower than the 1160 Talisker in all races except 1.  

No suprise the 1160 Deluxe was the s l o w e s t boat in its class.

Talisker is a very stretched 1160, its now a 1280, the extra water line no doubt assists it.  Its skipper is very talented, indeed the owner of Double Black Diamond thanked the skipper of Talisker in his acceptance speech for all the guidance and assistance he had provided.

Re scarlett, and yet it took home the prize, its a former charter boat and  family pleasure craft that has done a circumnavigation of Australia amongst many other adventures.  

We need to encourage more of these boats Seawinds FPs even lagoons, nautitechs etc, They are the volume in the market, we need to get them all out there participating and to do that we need to encourage them, not shitpot them

I have never entered into these forums before  but one post by Bushsailor needs a response. .   First of all the Moreton Bay Regatta was terrific.  Great fleet and well run by RQ.  Julian and the boys/girls on the Extreme 40  smoked everyone - A well deserved win.

But I need to respond to Bushsailors post - The "Crash Tack"  done by  Bushsailor was the result of a port/starboard at the finish line  on the Saturday passage race to Canaipa.  The Diam was on starboard and Bushsailor was on port.  The line was very short and the Diam needed to continue on starboard to be able to tack to the line.  Unfortunately for Bushailor the Diam (which had right of way) was in the road.  The "crash tack" was more poor planning by Bushsailor who must have been aware that the Diam had right of way (the Diam crew were calling for right of way) ..  Bushsailor had two options (1)  slow down & allow the Diam to tack onto port to the line or (2) bear away under the Diam to the line. 

As for the karma the next day - this had more to do with the old bloke not having his glasses and missing Mud Island West Cardinal x 2 as per the the sailing instructions.  Well we got one.  But as soon as we became aware that we had messed up we retired.  Two other boats who did not sail the correct course that day (St Helena to port) did not retire.   I think some  people racing in multihulls need to chill out &  understand that you are racing the clock.  Getting into tactical battles with  other boats (little Diams) with widely different OMR ratings is not wise....

On 19/03/2018 at 7:56 PM, Crazy Horse said:

Was the Pulse just on display and not race?

The Multihull Central crew are focusing on racing the 760 at the moment and have delivered a 4th in the Australian Sailing Championships (boats first race), won the Festival of Sails and now the Morton Bay Regatta.  They plan to race several other regattas before the end of the season.  Unfortunately the owner of Multihull Central (Ex Tornado / F18 sailor) has been very busy with work and family commitments that he has been unable to get on any of his boats himself dispite plans to do so. 

Hopefully a Pulse will come out to play later down the track and have similar Regatta success.  They do also have a 970 about to hit our shores and I am sure they will be eager to play with that as well.

23 hours ago, ozmultis said:

We need to encourage more of these boats Seawinds FPs even lagoons, nautitechs etc, They are the volume in the market, we need to get them all out there participating and to do that we need to encourage them, not shitpot them

Er,

Wouldn't you be the biggest offender in that area?

Even your own statement "even lagoons, nautitechs" is indicative of your normal stance 

• Like 2

I have never entered into these forums before  but one post by Bushsailor needs a response. .   First of all the Moreton Bay Regatta was terrific.  Great fleet and well run by RQ.  Julian and the boys/girls on the Extreme 40  smoked everyone - A well deserved win.

But I need to respond to Bushsailors post - The "Crash Tack"  done by  Bushsailor was the result of a port/starboard at the finish line  on the Saturday passage race to Canaipa.  The Diam was on starboard and Bushsailor was on port.  The line was very short and the Diam needed to continue on starboard to be able to tack to the line.  Unfortunately for Bushailor the Diam (which had right of way) was in the road.  The "crash tack" was more poor planning by Bushsailor who must have been aware that the Diam had right of way (the Diam crew were calling for right of way) ..  Bushsailor had two options (1)  slow down & allow the Diam to tack onto port to the line or (2) bear away under the Diam to the line. 

As for the karma the next day - this had more to do with the old bloke not having his glasses and missing Mud Island West Cardinal x 2 as per the the sailing instructions.  Well we got one.  But as soon as we became aware that we had messed up we retired.  Two other boats who did not sail the correct course that day (St Helena to port) did not retire.   I think some  people racing in multihulls need to chill out &  understand that you are racing the clock.  Getting into tactical battles with  other boats (little Diams) with widely different OMR ratings is not wise....

Well I guess some of this post should be refuted by someone.

The first part of the post is absolutely correct. The Diam had absolute right to make us tack away on the line. We did assume incorrectly that the Diam would be interested in finishing ASAP (as per the bottom paragraph, which is why we left 25m of line for them to tack through. (see photo which shows Rushour 150m from the line starting to luff up to give the Diam plenty of room)

I have no issue with what you did it was just .... annoying to have to tack with a screecher. What did not happen as was claimed in the bar by the Diam crew was that they had to avoid getting run over by us. (see attached photo taken by tele photo lens from the finish boat which clearly shows Rushour on starboard with the Diam still reaching down on us screaming. The diam is obliged to keep clear in this situation.)

The second part of the post above I have issues with since you brought it up. I believe that when you missed the mark another boat sailed over and informed you that you missed the mark. You told them to go away.(in a not very polite way)

You then protested them for outside assistance because they called up the race committee on vhf to question which side of a mark to round, (perfectly legal and the protest was later thrown out in the jury room)

You did not retire from the race.

When another competitor heard that you protested Fantasia they protested you for missing the mark which also went to the room, you lost and you then retired from the race and did not race the next day.

This was a social regatta put together to promote and encourage multihull sailing. The above mentioned behavior is disappointing and if I was the owner of the Diam I would be very disappointed. He puts a lot of effort and money into supporting multihull regattas around the country.

caniapa finish.jpg

rushour caniapa.jpg

• Like 1

Is there a photo missing?  i can't see one where Rushour is on Starboard in either of these two photos. Unless I'm seeing this incorrectly i think the top photo is pretty much what Oats did to Comanche in this years Hobart race. By the look of the sails and tell tails it seems that Fury is on the wind, not reaching and in my opinion has full rights over Rushour who is still completing a tack. 

• Like 1

You are missing the point.

We obviously were not going to run over them.

And yes we did our penalty turn just in case.

That was most entertaining .Just a pity it is between multi vs multi .One of the usual trouble makes though .

^^ and this pretty much sums up OMR racing.

What a bunch of wankers.

BWAHAHAHA

• Downvote 1

What a bunch of wankers.

BWAHAHAHA

What has this incident got to do with OMR? Plenty of reasons to not like any rating system but a typical racing incident that makes its way (unnecessarily IMHO) to social media is hardly a reason to bash the rule or the 99.9% great sailors out there.

• Like 1

What has this incident got to do with OMR? Plenty of reasons to not like any rating system but a typical racing incident that makes its way (unnecessarily IMHO) to social media is hardly a reason to bash the rule or the 99.9% great sailors out there.

Nice one Cyclops ,How quickly we forget the Fantasia Bunfight fought out on these boards, amongst others. A very few fish in a very small pond seem to spend a lot of time snapping at each other and doing nothing for the sports long term health. This is just another example.

By the way since when has the DIAM style boat been an OFFSHORE MULTIHULL and worthy  or fair to be rated under the OFFSHORE MULTIHULL RULE. Desperate for boats under a dying rule heh .

Seems that the non OMR multihull is where the growth is.

Time to look outside the box.

What a bunch of wankers.

BWAHAHAHA

Yep, OMR racing wankers who protest and stuff, not like half boat fleets where its all sugar and spice.

Nothing wrong with a good protest. It's part of close racing. 

On 23 March 2018 at 6:01 AM, ozmultis said:

Yep, OMR racing wankers who protest and stuff, not like half boat fleets where its all sugar and spice.

Overlay is just a pin dicked troll. He is just as disliked on the lead mine boards. Saw a few of the fleet being weighed at east coast today. Looks like a great turnout for both fleets. Look forward to catching up for a cool one in happy rock mate.

^ Happy rock, hadn't heard that one before, I like it:lol: