Sign in to follow this  
Roller Skates

Homebrew EVA/PE fenders?

6465124.jpg

Living up north, getting real tired of the classic inflatable fenders getting destroyed every winter. Soon as things get cold, they pucker and die. The EVA/PE foam fenders look like the ticket - but seem to be entirely overpriced. Not to mention, I'd like to make a set thicker to meet my class rules.

Anyone gone and built their own? Seems to me one should be able to find an EVA sheet, a sheet of PE, and some glue for a whole lot less. Anyone know what they stick em together with?

Contact cement. 

1 hour ago, Roller Skates said:

6465124.jpg

Living up north, getting real tired of the classic inflatable fenders getting destroyed every winter. Soon as things get cold, they pucker and die. The EVA/PE foam fenders look like the ticket - but seem to be entirely overpriced. Not to mention, I'd like to make a set thicker to meet my class rules.

Anyone gone and built their own? Seems to me one should be able to find an EVA sheet, a sheet of PE, and some glue for a whole lot less. Anyone know what they stick em together with?

I tried thosetype ...it was too light, wind blew them up and over the lifelines.

Image result for car tyres for fenders on sailboat

9 hours ago, Roller Skates said:

6465124.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Made-Products-Modular-Fender/dp/B000MJHK84

https://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Hull-Modular-Fender/dp/B0065TKFKU/ref=pd_day0_200_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B007BM6VZ8&pd_rd_r=F1P0QAEHJS0G38M051PZ&pd_rd_w=G1dMT&pd_rd_wg=XKEuX&refRID=F1P0QAEHJS0G38M051PZ&dpID=41J20ANCNLL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/HH-1C-Hull-Hugr-Contour-Fender/dp/B000OF72TI/ref=pd_day0_200_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000OF72TI&pd_rd_r=F1P0QAEHJS0G38M051PZ&pd_rd_w=G1dMT&pd_rd_wg=XKEuX&psc=1&refRID=F1P0QAEHJS0G38M051PZ&dpID=31C8ff410DL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Speaking of fenders, I would love to find a really long one that wasn't 2 feet in diameter. The common ones I see at the store get longer as they gain diameter, so a really long one ends up being really huge.

1 hour ago, Amati said:

Jumbo Pool Noodles?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TO13va3z9H8

dont know what they’d do to your paint, how they take freezing, or abrasion...

cheap though!

Not a bad thought but the foam pool noodles last about 12 months (they get destroyed by UV and turn to powder, which is VERY environmentally unfriendly)

Most local drug / convenience stores carry boogies boards. I took one of those, cut it lengthwise, drilled 2 holes to run an adjustable cord through and was done. 

Your use would be different (I hang mine horizontally at the middle cleat of the slip) but they are big & long, somewhat contoured & cheap and don't leave those black marks that typical inflatable white fenders can leave.

Only been 3 months but they seem to be holding up.

if you need something thicker for your class rules you could always double it up. They cut like warm butter.

43 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Speaking of fenders, I would love to find a really long one that wasn't 2 feet in diameter. The common ones I see at the store get longer as they gain diameter, so a really long one ends up being really huge.

https://www.airhead.com/rafting-fender-bumper.html

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Amati said:

Jumbo Pool Noodles?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TO13va3z9H8

dont know what they’d do to your paint, how they take freezing, or abrasion...

cheap though!

Pool noodles work great - for a while. They fail quite quickly from UV unless you make covers for them. I used them for dock edge protection and they did great for 2 or 3 years unprotected then they start to crumble. You don't need to go to all the trouble like in that vid - just get the biggest ones with no hole and lash them lengthwise to the dock edge like that pricey vinyl bump strip.

The smaller ones with a hole work well as lifeline padding - with the same caveat.

9 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Image result for car tyres for fenders on sailboat

Fuckin joke fenders there LB. I will raise you.

Tyres to protect the fenders

images (94).jpeg

Its No joke...rubber tires are the only way to defend against floating onto and being eaten by the dock during meteotsunami  conditions .

i carry two....compact car size.  

Heavy timber boards can also be used , but are hard to carry onboard 

typically the port captain will  have a pile of tires  ready.

15 hours ago, Roller Skates said:

6465124.jpg

something i forgot to mention is that taylor made has a lifetime guarantee on certain classes of fenders - they sent me a new fender at no charge after I sent them a photo of my older deflated fender.

2 hours ago, slug zitski said:

Its No joke...rubber tires are the only way to defend against floating onto and being eaten by the dock during meteotsunami  conditions .

i carry two....compact car size.  

Heavy timber boards can also be used , but are hard to carry onboard 

typically the port captain will  have a pile of tires  ready.

We carried 4 when we went through the French canals. They were in hession bags. We often tied up against some of the rock walls with our fenders against the boat, then our fender board then the tyres outside that. 

5 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Oh it's all right for you. That happens to be a real problem for some of us.

(Fnaar fnaar)