Editor

who what where

Recommended Posts

the crane off the top of *someone's* mast.. did the rig stay up?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's that heavy Lopolight thing wot done it.  And the neutronium Windex.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just needed about 30 yards of Amsteel 4mm wrapped around it and the spreaders and it would have been good all the way to Okinawa!

My guess is lightening strike blew it off unless some gorilla got to play with the backstay adjuster unattended. 

Looking closer, is that one of those Airmar windspeed/direction units? Did the Windex mounted on top of it get vaporized? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

who - someone with more dollars than sense

what - Greenbacks Tossed into the Wind

where - coming to anyone with poorly laid up carbon (or see who above)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Timeshaver. Explains a lot why their wind instruments were not working earlier. Most likely pinching a cable before total failure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wildwoodman2383 said:

Something from Anarchy III the new owner just found.

ahahahaha!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoulda resisted the temptation of one more stroke on the pump handle of the new hydraulic backstay adjuster......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rail Meat said:

Thank god, not my mast head.

Equally thankful it wasn’t you RM but there are good owners and frankly some bad owners and Viggo comes down firmly in the good owner camp. Damn shame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummer Viggo and crew 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BobC said:

Equally thankful it wasn’t you RM but there are good owners and frankly some bad owners and Viggo comes down firmly in the good owner camp. Damn shame. 

Damn shame indeed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

J-125 Timeshaver. Masthead crane. Mexorc PV.

well damn. any details? crew and boat ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

someone at the spar-maker looking for a new job?

Yeah. On a 20 year old Carbon Mast. Jerkwad. 

+1 to whoever caught the razor wire Cotter pin. I like the incandescent stern light. Chug a lug those amp hours

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I gotta ask what is the latest-greatest solution for the "razor wire cotter pin"?  Is that other one painted with wire insulation goop or what?  Can't really tape it so goop it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

The  front fell off.  geez,  getting 2 serious here. 

Outside the environment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Yeah. On a 20 year old Carbon Mast. Jerkwad. 

+1 to whoever caught the razor wire Cotter pin. I like the incandescent stern light. Chug a lug those amp hours

Mandatory rig surveys, when purchasing a 20 year old race boat with a carbon rig?

Obviously wouldn't have helped with Timeshaver in this case.  But, I have a client who may well be going into a J-125.

Also, a strong argument could be made for mandatory annual rig inspections as part of ones race program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Mandatory rig surveys, when purchasing a 20 year old race boat with a carbon rig?

Obviously wouldn't have helped with Timeshaver in this case.  But, I have a client who may well be going into a J-125.

Also, a strong argument could be made for mandatory annual rig inspections as part of ones race program.

resolute?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly the rig is still standing as evidenced by the shroud in the background. Still expensive though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

No, he’s still a little undecided.

Can't go wrong with a 125. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that a Hall Spar or more easily replaceable?

And how does the boat get back to San Diego with a 28hp motor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly it's the quantum flux regulator from a new stealth Tesla sailboat designed by Elon Musk in collaboration with Dr. Emmitt Brown.  The wind hit 88 knots and some serious shit happened...

Related image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

No, he’s still a little undecided.

So fucking funny

51 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Mandatory rig surveys, when purchasing a 20 year old race boat with a carbon rig?

Obviously wouldn't have helped with Timeshaver in this case.  But, I have a client who may well be going into a J-125.

Also, a strong argument could be made for mandatory annual rig inspections as part of ones race program.

I don't know about mandatory but it's not out of the realm of sanity to want to get your carbon rig ultrasounded/surveyed before major passages or after major damages/droppping/hard passages/lightning strikes. Obviously the Timeshaver oopsie is a unique case for which we don't have details. That said, this isn't the first time I've seen or heard of a masthead crane snapping off of a 40 foot J/Boat. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Parma said:

Is that a Hall Spar or more easily replaceable?

And how does the boat get back to San Diego with a 28hp motor?

With a reef in the main, and a Genoa Staysail with the stock check stays you should be able to deliver the boat home.   Will need to pick up fuel a few times and add some 5 gal tanks mix.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, passages said:

Rod Stephens is coming back to haunt whoever installed that cotter pin.

Yes indeed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  4 hours ago, Parma said:

Is that a Hall Spar or more easily replaceable?

And how does the boat get back to San Diego with a 28hp motor?

With a reef in the main, and a Genoa Staysail with the stock check stays you should be able to deliver the boat home.   Will need to pick up fuel a few times and add some 5 gal tanks mix.  

 

 

The main halyard is functional?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

OK, I gotta ask what is the latest-greatest solution for the "razor wire cotter pin"?  Is that other one painted with wire insulation goop or what?  Can't really tape it so goop it?

Nip the pin shorter before install. Saves weight. Black goop needed (and back stuff looks like) is black marine grade 100% Silicone. Cover both sides of pin with some and on any other pins, nuts or bolt heads 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phrfwanker said:
 

The main halyard is functional?? 

I don't think the main halyard is functional either but they could maybe put a loose hoop or lashing around the mast and then attach it to the headboard, using one of the jib halyards for hoist if they have a delivery main aboard.

I just figured the boat is (probably) coming out of the water anyway so why not haul it out there, drop the keel & truck it. Could be at Driscoll's before the weekend.

On the other hand reduced sail + injured mast for 1100 miles = not fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a haircut today and showed the picture to my barber, Jose, a Vietnam Marine vet and buddy. He figured it as a decoration for the Trump wall, as sort of a hair weave device that spun around and made all that orange cotton candy. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Parma said:

Is that a Hall Spar or more easily replaceable?

And how does the boat get back to San Diego with a 28hp motor?

You do know that Hall Spars is still building rigs right? Only have to get them from NZ or Europe (and I tried but they seem a bit busy, so expect a new rig to take more than 12 weeks...) Still got an office in RI for service so could be as easy as ordering a new carbon crane and have those guys laminate it in place. Shouldn't be more than 3 days work including cure time and re-painting once all parts are on location.

Also shipping to the West Coast is generally easier from NZ than from RI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Viggo.  Glad all you guys are OK though.  Good luck on the slog home.  I know the pain of that Yanmar 3 banger on a long delivery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lostmydetailsagain said:

You do know that Hall Spars is still building rigs right? Only have to get them from NZ or Europe (and I tried but they seem a bit busy, so expect a new rig to take more than 12 weeks...) Still got an office in RI for service so could be as easy as ordering a new carbon crane and have those guys laminate it in place. Shouldn't be more than 3 days work including cure time and re-painting once all parts are on location.

Also shipping to the West Coast is generally easier from NZ than from RI

You think it can be laminated back in place? Hmmm...I guess I don't know enough about CF, not so sure about that. Definitely need to get the engineers that used to work at Hall to give their opinion, probably not in writing.

Too, heard that all the autoclaves, mandrels etc at Hall in Bristol were all destroyed, ostensibly so that someone (like a Chinese company) could not buy the equipment and go into competition

If ordering a brand new replacement J-125 spar would not be surprised if it took 4-5 months and cost 40k all included, plus some ins co's will only replace with aluminum or give a seriously reduced value vs a new CF rig.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Parma said:

You think it can be laminated back in place? Hmmm...I guess I don't know enough about CF, not so sure about that. Definitely need to get the engineers that used to work at Hall to give their opinion, probably not in writing.

Too, heard that all the autoclaves, mandrels etc at Hall in Bristol were all destroyed, ostensibly so that someone (like a Chinese company) could not buy the equipment and go into competition

If ordering a brand new replacement J-125 spar would not be surprised if it took 4-5 months and cost 40k all included, plus some ins co's will only replace with aluminum or give a seriously reduced value vs a new CF rig.

 

Some of the office staff (project managers, engineers) have been retained in RI as part of the service team Hall have over there. Plus there are two factories with dedicated engineers with access to the production drawings so I wouldn't be too worried. Seen a few projects over the last couple of years including a 55m+ rig where around 20mm of laminate around the partners had to be ground away on-site to remove some backing paper that was left in there... rebuild with fresh carbon, small overwrap and good to go.

CF is great stuff: if you break it, you just glue it back together (slight over exaggeration there...) but I'd ask Hall in the US to supply me a new crane and bond it back in place. You might even get warranty on the repair.

anyway, that is for Hall and the owner to figure out. Or check with Offshore Spars, they're still active and in the US. And US$40k sounds about right for the CF tube only, you'd still have to get all fittings across at that price and sort out shipping: materials and labour haven't become much cheaper lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now