Editor

who what where

the crane off the top of *someone's* mast.. did the rig stay up?

• Like 1

It's that heavy Lopolight thing wot done it.  And the neutronium Windex.

• Like 1

It just needed about 30 yards of Amsteel 4mm wrapped around it and the spreaders and it would have been good all the way to Okinawa!

My guess is lightening strike blew it off unless some gorilla got to play with the backstay adjuster unattended. 

Looking closer, is that one of those Airmar windspeed/direction units? Did the Windex mounted on top of it get vaporized? 

who - someone with more dollars than sense

what - Greenbacks Tossed into the Wind

where - coming to anyone with poorly laid up carbon (or see who above)

Timeshaver. Explains a lot why their wind instruments were not working earlier. Most likely pinching a cable before total failure.

2 hours ago, wildwoodman2383 said:

Something from Anarchy III the new owner just found.

ahahahaha!!!!

Shoulda resisted the temptation of one more stroke on the pump handle of the new hydraulic backstay adjuster......

1 hour ago, Rail Meat said:

Thank god, not my mast head.

Equally thankful it wasn’t you RM but there are good owners and frankly some bad owners and Viggo comes down firmly in the good owner camp. Damn shame. 

Bummer Viggo and crew 

4 minutes ago, BobC said:

Equally thankful it wasn’t you RM but there are good owners and frankly some bad owners and Viggo comes down firmly in the good owner camp. Damn shame. 

Damn shame indeed. 

31 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

J-125 Timeshaver. Masthead crane. Mexorc PV.

well damn. any details? crew and boat ok?

1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

someone at the spar-maker looking for a new job?

Yeah. On a 20 year old Carbon Mast. Jerkwad. 

+1 to whoever caught the razor wire Cotter pin. I like the incandescent stern light. Chug a lug those amp hours

OK, I gotta ask what is the latest-greatest solution for the "razor wire cotter pin"?  Is that other one painted with wire insulation goop or what?  Can't really tape it so goop it?

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

The  front fell off.  geez,  getting 2 serious here. 

Outside the environment!

11 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Yeah. On a 20 year old Carbon Mast. Jerkwad. 

+1 to whoever caught the razor wire Cotter pin. I like the incandescent stern light. Chug a lug those amp hours

Mandatory rig surveys, when purchasing a 20 year old race boat with a carbon rig?

Obviously wouldn't have helped with Timeshaver in this case.  But, I have a client who may well be going into a J-125.

Also, a strong argument could be made for mandatory annual rig inspections as part of ones race program.

18 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Mandatory rig surveys, when purchasing a 20 year old race boat with a carbon rig?

Obviously wouldn't have helped with Timeshaver in this case.  But, I have a client who may well be going into a J-125.

Also, a strong argument could be made for mandatory annual rig inspections as part of ones race program.

resolute?

Clearly the rig is still standing as evidenced by the shroud in the background. Still expensive though. 

3 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

No, he’s still a little undecided.

Can't go wrong with a 125. 

Is that a Hall Spar or more easily replaceable?

And how does the boat get back to San Diego with a 28hp motor?

Clearly it's the quantum flux regulator from a new stealth Tesla sailboat designed by Elon Musk in collaboration with Dr. Emmitt Brown.  The wind hit 88 knots and some serious shit happened...

Related image

26 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

No, he’s still a little undecided.

So fucking funny

51 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I don't know about mandatory but it's not out of the realm of sanity to want to get your carbon rig ultrasounded/surveyed before major passages or after major damages/droppping/hard passages/lightning strikes. Obviously the Timeshaver oopsie is a unique case for which we don't have details. That said, this isn't the first time I've seen or heard of a masthead crane snapping off of a 40 foot J/Boat. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Parma said:

With a reef in the main, and a Genoa Staysail with the stock check stays you should be able to deliver the boat home.   Will need to pick up fuel a few times and add some 5 gal tanks mix.   

19 hours ago, passages said:

Rod Stephens is coming back to haunt whoever installed that cotter pin.

Yes indeed...

4 hours ago, Parma said:

With a reef in the main, and a Genoa Staysail with the stock check stays you should be able to deliver the boat home.   Will need to pick up fuel a few times and add some 5 gal tanks mix.  

The main halyard is functional?? 

17 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

OK, I gotta ask what is the latest-greatest solution for the "razor wire cotter pin"?  Is that other one painted with wire insulation goop or what?  Can't really tape it so goop it?

Nip the pin shorter before install. Saves weight. Black goop needed (and back stuff looks like) is black marine grade 100% Silicone. Cover both sides of pin with some and on any other pins, nuts or bolt heads 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phrfwanker said:

The main halyard is functional?? 

I don't think the main halyard is functional either but they could maybe put a loose hoop or lashing around the mast and then attach it to the headboard, using one of the jib halyards for hoist if they have a delivery main aboard.

I just figured the boat is (probably) coming out of the water anyway so why not haul it out there, drop the keel & truck it. Could be at Driscoll's before the weekend.

On the other hand reduced sail + injured mast for 1100 miles = not fun.

I got a haircut today and showed the picture to my barber, Jose, a Vietnam Marine vet and buddy. He figured it as a decoration for the Trump wall, as sort of a hair weave device that spun around and made all that orange cotton candy. 

14 hours ago, Parma said:

You do know that Hall Spars is still building rigs right? Only have to get them from NZ or Europe (and I tried but they seem a bit busy, so expect a new rig to take more than 12 weeks...) Still got an office in RI for service so could be as easy as ordering a new carbon crane and have those guys laminate it in place. Shouldn't be more than 3 days work including cure time and re-painting once all parts are on location.

Also shipping to the West Coast is generally easier from NZ than from RI

Sorry Viggo.  Glad all you guys are OK though.  Good luck on the slog home.  I know the pain of that Yanmar 3 banger on a long delivery.

8 hours ago, lostmydetailsagain said:

You do know that Hall Spars is still building rigs right? Only have to get them from NZ or Europe (and I tried but they seem a bit busy, so expect a new rig to take more than 12 weeks...) Still got an office in RI for service so could be as easy as ordering a new carbon crane and have those guys laminate it in place. Shouldn't be more than 3 days work including cure time and re-painting once all parts are on location.

Also shipping to the West Coast is generally easier from NZ than from RI

You think it can be laminated back in place? Hmmm...I guess I don't know enough about CF, not so sure about that. Definitely need to get the engineers that used to work at Hall to give their opinion, probably not in writing.

Too, heard that all the autoclaves, mandrels etc at Hall in Bristol were all destroyed, ostensibly so that someone (like a Chinese company) could not buy the equipment and go into competition

If ordering a brand new replacement J-125 spar would not be surprised if it took 4-5 months and cost 40k all included, plus some ins co's will only replace with aluminum or give a seriously reduced value vs a new CF rig.

21 hours ago, Parma said:

You think it can be laminated back in place? Hmmm...I guess I don't know enough about CF, not so sure about that. Definitely need to get the engineers that used to work at Hall to give their opinion, probably not in writing.

Too, heard that all the autoclaves, mandrels etc at Hall in Bristol were all destroyed, ostensibly so that someone (like a Chinese company) could not buy the equipment and go into competition

If ordering a brand new replacement J-125 spar would not be surprised if it took 4-5 months and cost 40k all included, plus some ins co's will only replace with aluminum or give a seriously reduced value vs a new CF rig.

Some of the office staff (project managers, engineers) have been retained in RI as part of the service team Hall have over there. Plus there are two factories with dedicated engineers with access to the production drawings so I wouldn't be too worried. Seen a few projects over the last couple of years including a 55m+ rig where around 20mm of laminate around the partners had to be ground away on-site to remove some backing paper that was left in there... rebuild with fresh carbon, small overwrap and good to go.

CF is great stuff: if you break it, you just glue it back together (slight over exaggeration there...) but I'd ask Hall in the US to supply me a new crane and bond it back in place. You might even get warranty on the repair.

anyway, that is for Hall and the owner to figure out. Or check with Offshore Spars, they're still active and in the US. And US$40k sounds about right for the CF tube only, you'd still have to get all fittings across at that price and sort out shipping: materials and labour haven't become much cheaper lately.