khil

Enclosed Dinghy Trailer

Looking for an enclosed trailer for my Fireball. I was wondering if anyone has found anything that is about 16' long but not the full height. Thinking it will be nice to keep all the boat gear and sails in the trailer rather than the car. Will probably put roof racks on for the masts. 

I haven't ever seen a half height utility trailer. I have one I keep my Swift Solo in. I love it because it keeps the boat out of the weather and I leave my gear in side so packing up to go is easier. I also added a hoist to carry a second boat above the one on the floor. When I get to the venue, I use the trailer as a camper when I can.

My recommendation would be to see if you can find an aluminum one. Mine is very heavy. Also if you get one with a pointed front end, it will make dragging it down the highway easier.

Another option would be to get a flat bed trailer and build your own box on top.

I used to have a nice trailer for my 49er.   Not fully enclosed, but was designed to roll the boat into place on it's dolley with removable ramps, covers on.   There were two bins up the front sides,nicely protected the boat, and contoured to the boat's shape, long enough to fit boom and sails,, enough space for 3 sets of sails, blades, and all the tools and bits one could need.

I'd think it'd be a hassle to have a half-height enclosed trailer, how to get the boat in and out except crawling, and have a front door?   You'd also lose out on Fugu's cool double use as a home on-site.  :mellow:

We have something similar to this. 

8399.2014.Newmar.Canyon_Star.3920.Exteri

7 hours ago, khil said:

Looking for an enclosed trailer for my Fireball. I was wondering if anyone has found anything that is about 16' long but not the full height. Thinking it will be nice to keep all the boat gear and sails in the trailer rather than the car. Will probably put roof racks on for the masts. 

there's a Fireball sailor down in Tampa who uses almost exactly what you're talking about, except I believe that he made his long enough to fit spars in as well (which would make it around 22-23' in length. If you give me your email address I can forward it to him?

3 hours ago, dgmckim said:

there's a Fireball sailor down in Tampa who uses almost exactly what you're talking about, except I believe that he made his long enough to fit spars in as well (which would make it around 22-23' in length. If you give me your email address I can forward it to him?

I just saw his rig at mid minters. His is all custom, and I am looking for something on the market already. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

5 1/2' interior height,,, hardly 'low profile'    :mellow:

v. A 7 footer, that 1.5' probably makes a big difference if you are not towing with a uhaul truck

edit= but not much difference if you tow with a Fiat

Grab one of these and load your Fireball on top then you have instant regatta camping too.  I think this is the company that my brother was going to use to make a custom 505 trailer that did the same type of thing.

http://ugoat.us

However you decide to do it the enclosed trailer is the best way to go. Currently have two 15’ dinghy’s in a 16’ v-nose trailer that I built out for a friend. The square measures 16 feet. With the v-nose we gain enough extra space for a work bench and tool box. Set it up for electrical and run a dehumidifier to keep everything dry. Keeps the road crap off the boats and the sun/ weather off when not in use. With all the high end people in this sport it is surprising there are not more box trailers in use. Hard to deal with a coach boat and racks this way, but if the coach boat is not an issue then the box trailer is awesome for getting all the gear out of the truck and into the trailer.

This is the company I had quote me a trailer for my 505:

http://www.backcountrybox.com/

The quote was for $5,400 if memory serves, and that included it being sized up to be able to hold a 505 on top.  The  stereo kit and a few more goodies to make it cool would add some more $$$ but they have some neat options like an outdoor shower, power outlets, etc. that I was considering...still am!

Tom

15 hours ago, SailMoore1 said:

http://www.hittrailer.nl

Hit Trailers makes a great trailer with a fiberglass enclosure specifically for small boats including mast rack on top.  Only issue is importing to the US.

Dinghy Racing USA can probably help with importing these trailers to the US.

www.dinghyracingusa.com

On 3/14/2018 at 6:31 PM, WCB said:

Grab one of these and load your Fireball on top then you have instant regatta camping too.  I think this is the company that my brother was going to use to make a custom 505 trailer that did the same type of thing.

http://ugoat.us

...pretty cool, but strange name.     ....goats would destroy that in seconds!  :mellow:

On 3/14/2018 at 7:04 PM, SailMoore1 said:

http://www.hittrailer.nl

Hit Trailers makes a great trailer with a fiberglass enclosure specifically for small boats including mast rack on top.  Only issue is importing to the US.

Cost more than the boat's worth!   :blink:

55 minutes ago, jimmydyurko said:

maintaining boats cost more than buying them....

...only for twits with more dollars than skills.   :mellow:

Not sure how people are looking at this. For $3500 we have two 15.5 foot boats stored in a tandem axle 16 Ft trailer with a V-nose . The boats were well in excess of 15k each. Masts go on the roof racks on top of the trailer and the interior is fully fitted out to hold all the gear. Including electrical hook up and dehumidifier. Easiest way to store boats as they are not in the garage or storage building. Easy access and great set up for Regattas. The boats travel safely with no road issues so far. 

For me it works great on so many levels. But to each there own way to make their lives  easier.

On 4/1/2018 at 3:03 PM, couchsurfer said:

...only for twits with more dollars than skills.   :mellow:

No,,,, materials are expensive.  And I ran out of "Free" time years ago. If one is going to spend money or time on a boat a little prevention from mother nature is a solid investment.