caveman70

Sail ID help

Hello. I have had this dinghy sail for a while and cannot figure out what sailboat it goes to.

Made by Lincoln Foster in 1954
15' bolt rope luff
9' loose foot
17.5' leach with three battens

Very nice quality sale in excellent shape. I am planning on listing it for sale soon but would like to find out what it is first to see if there is a local club. There is a Glassliner G-22 sailboat but this is waaay to small.

Thank You

IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg

Ice boat

Many Many many in the Oshkosh area back in the day...  

What leads you to believe it is an ice boat sail. Just curious what the clues are. This came with my Barnett Butterfly who also made iceboats way back when, maybe still do not sure. But they used the same rigging as the butterfly and this will not fit.

Thank You for the response!

Luff curve mostly, also seem to remember them having dashes between the letter and number.  

There ya go! That dash is why it looked odd to me as a dinghy sail. Most of the ice boats I've seen have full length battens so it didn't register. Thank You.

Scows also have the Letter (often 2) - and then the number. Letters stand for the lake. So this should be Geneva 22 if I remember correctly.  DN have both the DN and often a letter number as well. 

The luff curve does seem to extreme for a scow though. Ice boat as good a guess as any. 

There is no luff curve. I found an item in SailNet via Google that talks about Lincoln Foster creating something called a "roller spinnaker" that the E Scow sailors liked. So there is a further scow connection (if one was required).

Does the roller spinnaker have a bolt rope?  Looks right size for an old E chute? 

First assy?

2 hours ago, bill4 said:

There is no luff curve. I found an item in SailNet via Google that talks about Lincoln Foster creating something called a "roller spinnaker" that the E Scow sailors liked. So there is a further scow connection (if one was required).

15 minutes ago, Locus said:

Does the roller spinnaker have a bolt rope?  Looks right size for an old E chute? 

First assy?

Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't suggesting this was the roller spinnaker. Only adding to the overall thought of this perhaps belonging to a scow as suggested, as good old Linc made scow sails. 

But a spinnaker wouldn’t have battens would it? This definitely came from scowville. 

My communication skills must be lacking. It is not a spinnaker and I was not suggesting that. My reference was intended only to confirm Lincoln Foster made scow sails, thereby providing support to the suggestion the sail may indeed be from a scow. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bill4 said:

My communication skills must be lacking. It is not a spinnaker and I was not suggesting that. My reference was intended only to confirm Lincoln Foster made scow sails, thereby providing support to the suggestion the sail may indeed be from a scow. 

Ok sorry i misread.

Probably a Butterfly Sail. The have an 18' mast and 75sf sail area. If the luff is 15 and the foot is 9 that is near 75 (67 of 68) and i assume there is rounding in your measurements. 

Butterfly.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm... without looking at the cut of the sail, Butterfly was first built in 1961, OP says sail was made in 1954?

• Like 1

That's the date on the sail, at least it appears to be the makers date. The Barnett Butterfly has a sleeved boom sail and this is loose footed. Probably doesn't matter much, because I'm going to list this for sale as an unknown at this point, but would be really good to figure out what it goes to just in case somebody is looking for this specifically. 

Seems pretty old to be a synthetic sail too, especially considering the excellent shape it's in.

1 hour ago, caveman70 said:

That's the date on the sail, at least it appears to be the makers date. The Barnett Butterfly has a sleeved boom sail and this is loose footed. Probably doesn't matter much, because I'm going to list this for sale as an unknown at this point, but would be really good to figure out what it goes to just in case somebody is looking for this specifically. 

Seems pretty old to be a synthetic sail too, especially considering the excellent shape it's in.

Likely a measured date if it's a class sail. Terylene sails appeared about 1953. By the wrinkles it is synthetic, not cotton.

Take it to an older sailmake and ask him.

Chances of finding a buyer?   .00000001

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

Likely a measured date if it's a class sail. Terylene sails appeared about 1953. By the wrinkles it is synthetic, not cotton.

Take it to an older sailmake and ask him.

Chances of finding a buyer?   .00000001

II'm not doubting the fact that it is synthetic, just surprised it is such good shape.

As far as a buyer? Who knows, maybe I'll lash one end to my belt and fashion a windsurfing mast to my skateboard and hit an empty parking lot like we used to 30 years ago in NW WA. Had a friend that used to give us old masts and booms to play with on our long decks. Pavement hurts by the way!

15 minutes ago, caveman70 said:

II'm not doubting the fact that it is synthetic, just surprised it is such good shape.

As far as a buyer? Who knows, maybe I'll lash one end to my belt and fashion a windsurfing mast to my skateboard and hit an empty parking lot like we used to 30 years ago in NW WA. Had a friend that used to give us old masts and booms to play with on our long decks. Pavement hurts by the way!

I know that!

Worth asking a sailmaker still. Might be a museum piece.

And if nothing at all works out...