• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

poor Jen...she was really hoping for something like this to happen with her story but she kept changing the screenplay from:

Force 11 Nightmare and Her Ring of Fire

A drifting Nympho

The other Devils in my Jones

made for TV reality show, My life in their Livingroom 

and  everybody's favorite...My Tool Time

101 knots and Special Rigging tips

to finally

The Big Blue Chinese Water Torture

• Like 1

65/100- like most of these types of films, it looks like it was popped out of a mold. the prerequisite sappy, overbearing musical score drags it down further. my opinion doesn't matter, though.

I'd like to suggest 'The Fall', with Gillian Anderson. it's a little dark, but the best things are.

• Like 2

this thread is going to drift....say...anyone recall Nicole Kidman breast's in the movie " Dead Calm"..someone screen shot that for us please

38 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

this thread is going to drift....say...anyone recall Nicole Kidman breast's in the movie " Dead Calm"..someone screen shot that for us please

this seems a sensible request. 

shame they can't make a story about a strong female lead without fucking up literally everything about the mechanics of sailing. goddamn. I can deal with sappy music, sappy love story, etc, to see a pretty boat and a good survival or adventure story (The Long Way Home, Tracks, Wild), but.... fuck they fucked everything up here. Maybe it'll be the opposite of Wind, though? Where the trailer made more sense than the movie? Seriously - watch the trailer - instead of that stupid collision and the Whimper, they actually make the cross. Somewhere between the trailer and release they changed the plot... Also explains the starboard trimmer's goofy smile when the whimper goes up but the jib is on the winch...

56 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

shame they can't make a story about a strong female lead without fucking up literally everything about the mechanics of sailing. goddamn. I can deal with sappy music, sappy love story, etc, to see a pretty boat and a good survival or adventure story (The Long Way Home, Tracks, Wild), but.... fuck they fucked everything up here. Maybe it'll be the opposite of Wind, though? Where the trailer made more sense than the movie? Seriously - watch the trailer - instead of that stupid collision and the Whimper, they actually make the cross. Somewhere between the trailer and release they changed the plot... Also explains the starboard trimmer's goofy smile when the whimper goes up but the jib is on the winch...

Whomper. Couldn't sit thru that crap all the way. An insult to the guys it supposedly portrayed.

Watched this trailer 3 times.

In different shots boat has white sails, tan sails, red sails.

Shot of her using a sextant with the star viewer in broad daylight, and it was pointing about 5 - 7 degrees below the horizon. At least the arm was somewhere mid arc.

Several times shots of the biggest wave EVER. Straight out of that (fiction) movie years ago about the cruise ship Poseidon that capsized.

I won't waste money going to see it.

17 minutes ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

Whomper.

Shot of her using a sextant with the star viewer in broad daylight, and it was pointing about 5 - 7 degrees below the horizon. At least the arm was somewhere mid arc.

Several times shots of the biggest wave EVER. Straight out of that (fiction) movie years ago about the cruise ship Poseidon that capsized.

same wave (and same 3d rendering i think) as The Perfect Storm wave.... 

I wont waste my money to see it in theater but i might get drunk and attempt to get laid by watching it with my future ex girlfriend when it comes out on torrent - at least it's a love story and it has sailboats in it... 

7 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

same wave (and same 3d rendering i think) as The Perfect Storm wave.... 

I wont waste my money to see it in theater but i might get drunk and attempt to get laid by watching it with my future ex girlfriend when it comes out on torrent - at least it's a love story and it has sailboats in it... 

Only if you want to go sailing alone.

Unless she is a Volvo RTW sailor.

23 minutes ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

Whomper. Couldn't sit thru that crap all the way. An insult to the guys it supposedly portrayed.

Don't you dare bad mouth the original Poseidon Adventure  :)

1 hour ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

Only if you want to go sailing alone.

Unless she is a ROW sailor.

that's why i said future ex. ;)

It's based on the story of Tami Oldham, whose boat she was delivering with her fiance got rolled and dismasted in a storm

He was swept overboard never to be seen again, she woke up after 30 hours unconscious and managed to jury-rig the wreck of a boat and sail for 41 days to safety while mourning her lost partner. She wrote a book about it, 'Red sky in mourning'

However in this he appears to survive the storm and she recovers him to sail together, so uhhhh way to miss the point of the story I guess

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alctel said:

It's based on the story of Tami Oldham, whose boat she was delivering with her fiance got rolled and dismasted in a storm

He was swept overboard never to be seen again, she woke up after 30 hours unconscious and managed to jury-rig the wreck of a boat and sail for 41 days to safety while mourning her lost partner. She wrote a book about it, 'Red sky in mourning'

However in this he appears to survive the storm and she recovers him to sail together, so uhhhh way to miss the point of the story I guess

Wow. That's fucking brutal.

Puka necklaces? They look good on the girl. She did get a 'Best Kiss' award for one of her appearances in a movie so that might be worth a watch.

9 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Yeah, why did they have to bastardize such an epic true event into this pablum?

They put Robert Redford in some sailing movie my wife wanted me to watch...I lasted a very short time on the couch with that....good question when the real dramatization would be so much more interesting to non sailors and they'd have no trouble following....

Maybe the presence of the guy in the movie is a dramatic device, where her imagining talking to him is a source of inspiration to her?  I hope that's it.

On 3/16/2018 at 4:05 PM, alctel said:

maybe they stole an idea from Gravity.

This will be better than "All is Lost" if only because there is a hottie. But better than All is Lost is not saying much at all.

1 minute ago, jarcher said:

...... better than All is Lost is not saying much at all.

Plusse oune!                                   :)

Not many people can carry a movie all by themselves.  Tom Hanks managed to do it, but obviously robert redford could not, so there is that.  Wonder how many A-listers turned it down before they threw him into the script...  

"Spirit of St Louis" is a classic film about a guy sitting in an airplane by himself for 30 hours.  

It is an extremely good film - an example of one guy carrying the whole plot.  So, yeah, it can be done and it can be done well.  

I mean they got through 300 foot waves so obviously they're better sailors than me. I'll go just to pick up some pointers. 

I hate movies with fucking 300ft waves.  Its so cartoonishly nonsensical.  I'd be impressed with a mast high wave and is plenty big to roll you.

On 3/17/2018 at 5:10 AM, SailBlueH2O said:

They put Robert Redford in some sailing movie my wife wanted me to watch...I lasted a very short time on the couch with that....good question when the real dramatization would be so much more interesting to non sailors and they'd have no trouble following....

Yep. I think that film (can't bring myself to repeat the name) may have ruined the "alone on a damaged sailboat" genre for eternity. I doubt US audiences in meaningful numbers would pay to see an accurate rendering of a real story. Apparently we prefer to consume fabrications and other falsities. (The Marvel comic movies seem to do well regardless of how formulaic and predictable they are.) I suppose I should worry for the future but I am just too old and grumpy to care...

31 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Has anybody seen either of the Crowhurst flicks?  Worth hunting for?

Found one on one of the streaming services a while back (Netflix? can't recall). Was a decent documentary and seemed to make a meaningful effort at accuracy.

48 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Has anybody seen either of the Crowhurst flicks?  Worth hunting for?

Watched "Deep Water", a documentary on the race focusing on Crowhurst.Pretty good. May have been the same on casc27 mentions.

4 hours ago, casc27 said:

Found one on one of the streaming services a while back (Netflix? can't recall). Was a decent documentary and seemed to make a meaningful effort at accuracy.

3 hours ago, SpongeDeckSquareFoil said:

Watched "Deep Water", a documentary on the race focusing on Crowhurst.Pretty good. May have been the same on casc27 mentions.

Yeah watched that awhile ago, and it was pretty good, but there were two dramatized that came out at the end of last year, was wondering if anybody has caught either yet?

After seeing the giant wave in that trailer, I was reminded of "The Perfect Storm..."

...except in the Perfect Storm I cared whether the people made it out at the end.

2 hours ago, jackolantern said:

After seeing the giant wave in that trailer, I was reminded of "The Perfect Storm..."

...except in the Perfect Storm I cared whether the people made it out at the end.

Then after the big wave sunk the big boat, they got in a 12 or 14 foot open aluminium boat, and survived.