poor Jen...she was really hoping for something like this to happen with her story but she kept changing the screenplay from:

Force 11 Nightmare and Her Ring of Fire

A drifting Nympho

The other Devils in my Jones

made for TV reality show, My life in their Livingroom 

and  everybody's favorite...My Tool Time

101 knots and Special Rigging tips

to finally

The Big Blue Chinese Water Torture

• Like 2

65/100- like most of these types of films, it looks like it was popped out of a mold. the prerequisite sappy, overbearing musical score drags it down further. my opinion doesn't matter, though.

I'd like to suggest 'The Fall', with Gillian Anderson. it's a little dark, but the best things are.

• Like 2

this thread is going to drift....say...anyone recall Nicole Kidman breast's in the movie " Dead Calm"..someone screen shot that for us please

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

this thread is going to drift....say...anyone recall Nicole Kidman breast's in the movie " Dead Calm"..someone screen shot that for us please

this seems a sensible request. 

shame they can't make a story about a strong female lead without fucking up literally everything about the mechanics of sailing. goddamn. I can deal with sappy music, sappy love story, etc, to see a pretty boat and a good survival or adventure story (The Long Way Home, Tracks, Wild), but.... fuck they fucked everything up here. Maybe it'll be the opposite of Wind, though? Where the trailer made more sense than the movie? Seriously - watch the trailer - instead of that stupid collision and the Whimper, they actually make the cross. Somewhere between the trailer and release they changed the plot... Also explains the starboard trimmer's goofy smile when the whimper goes up but the jib is on the winch...

56 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

shame they can't make a story about a strong female lead without fucking up literally everything about the mechanics of sailing. goddamn. I can deal with sappy music, sappy love story, etc, to see a pretty boat and a good survival or adventure story (The Long Way Home, Tracks, Wild), but.... fuck they fucked everything up here. Maybe it'll be the opposite of Wind, though? Where the trailer made more sense than the movie? Seriously - watch the trailer - instead of that stupid collision and the Whimper, they actually make the cross. Somewhere between the trailer and release they changed the plot... Also explains the starboard trimmer's goofy smile when the whimper goes up but the jib is on the winch...

Whomper. Couldn't sit thru that crap all the way. An insult to the guys it supposedly portrayed.

Watched this trailer 3 times.

In different shots boat has white sails, tan sails, red sails.

Shot of her using a sextant with the star viewer in broad daylight, and it was pointing about 5 - 7 degrees below the horizon. At least the arm was somewhere mid arc.

Several times shots of the biggest wave EVER. Straight out of that (fiction) movie years ago about the cruise ship Poseidon that capsized.

I won't waste money going to see it.

17 minutes ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

Whomper.

Shot of her using a sextant with the star viewer in broad daylight, and it was pointing about 5 - 7 degrees below the horizon. At least the arm was somewhere mid arc.

Several times shots of the biggest wave EVER. Straight out of that (fiction) movie years ago about the cruise ship Poseidon that capsized.

same wave (and same 3d rendering i think) as The Perfect Storm wave.... 

I wont waste my money to see it in theater but i might get drunk and attempt to get laid by watching it with my future ex girlfriend when it comes out on torrent - at least it's a love story and it has sailboats in it... 

7 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

I wont waste my money to see it in theater but i might get drunk and attempt to get laid by watching it with my future ex girlfriend when it comes out on torrent - at least it's a love story and it has sailboats in it... 

Only if you want to go sailing alone.

Unless she is a Volvo RTW sailor.

23 minutes ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

Whomper. Couldn't sit thru that crap all the way. An insult to the guys it supposedly portrayed.

Don't you dare bad mouth the original Poseidon Adventure  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Phillip Sailor said:

Only if you want to go sailing alone.

Unless she is a ROW sailor.

that's why i said future ex. ;)

It's based on the story of Tami Oldham, whose boat she was delivering with her fiance got rolled and dismasted in a storm

He was swept overboard never to be seen again, she woke up after 30 hours unconscious and managed to jury-rig the wreck of a boat and sail for 41 days to safety while mourning her lost partner. She wrote a book about it, 'Red sky in mourning'

However in this he appears to survive the storm and she recovers him to sail together, so uhhhh way to miss the point of the story I guess

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alctel said:

It's based on the story of Tami Oldham, whose boat she was delivering with her fiance got rolled and dismasted in a storm

He was swept overboard never to be seen again, she woke up after 30 hours unconscious and managed to jury-rig the wreck of a boat and sail for 41 days to safety while mourning her lost partner. She wrote a book about it, 'Red sky in mourning'

However in this he appears to survive the storm and she recovers him to sail together, so uhhhh way to miss the point of the story I guess

Wow. That's fucking brutal.

Puka necklaces? They look good on the girl. She did get a 'Best Kiss' award for one of her appearances in a movie so that might be worth a watch.

9 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Yeah, why did they have to bastardize such an epic true event into this pablum?

They put Robert Redford in some sailing movie my wife wanted me to watch...I lasted a very short time on the couch with that....good question when the real dramatization would be so much more interesting to non sailors and they'd have no trouble following....

Maybe the presence of the guy in the movie is a dramatic device, where her imagining talking to him is a source of inspiration to her?  I hope that's it.

On 3/16/2018 at 4:05 PM, alctel said:

maybe they stole an idea from Gravity.

1 minute ago, jarcher said:

...... better than All is Lost is not saying much at all.

Plusse oune!                                   :)

Not many people can carry a movie all by themselves.  Tom Hanks managed to do it, but obviously robert redford could not, so there is that.  Wonder how many A-listers turned it down before they threw him into the script...  

"Spirit of St Louis" is a classic film about a guy sitting in an airplane by himself for 30 hours.  

It is an extremely good film - an example of one guy carrying the whole plot.  So, yeah, it can be done and it can be done well.  

• Like 1

I mean they got through 300 foot waves so obviously they're better sailors than me. I'll go just to pick up some pointers. 

I hate movies with fucking 300ft waves.  Its so cartoonishly nonsensical.  I'd be impressed with a mast high wave and is plenty big to roll you.

On 3/17/2018 at 5:10 AM, SailBlueH2O said:

They put Robert Redford in some sailing movie my wife wanted me to watch...I lasted a very short time on the couch with that....good question when the real dramatization would be so much more interesting to non sailors and they'd have no trouble following....

Yep. I think that film (can't bring myself to repeat the name) may have ruined the "alone on a damaged sailboat" genre for eternity. I doubt US audiences in meaningful numbers would pay to see an accurate rendering of a real story. Apparently we prefer to consume fabrications and other falsities. (The Marvel comic movies seem to do well regardless of how formulaic and predictable they are.) I suppose I should worry for the future but I am just too old and grumpy to care...

31 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Has anybody seen either of the Crowhurst flicks?  Worth hunting for?

Found one on one of the streaming services a while back (Netflix? can't recall). Was a decent documentary and seemed to make a meaningful effort at accuracy.

48 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Has anybody seen either of the Crowhurst flicks?  Worth hunting for?

Watched "Deep Water", a documentary on the race focusing on Crowhurst.Pretty good. May have been the same on casc27 mentions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, casc27 said:

Found one on one of the streaming services a while back (Netflix? can't recall). Was a decent documentary and seemed to make a meaningful effort at accuracy.

3 hours ago, SpongeDeckSquareFoil said:

Watched "Deep Water", a documentary on the race focusing on Crowhurst.Pretty good. May have been the same on casc27 mentions.

Yeah watched that awhile ago, and it was pretty good, but there were two dramatized that came out at the end of last year, was wondering if anybody has caught either yet?

After seeing the giant wave in that trailer, I was reminded of "The Perfect Storm..."

...except in the Perfect Storm I cared whether the people made it out at the end.

2 hours ago, jackolantern said:

After seeing the giant wave in that trailer, I was reminded of "The Perfect Storm..."

...except in the Perfect Storm I cared whether the people made it out at the end.

Then after the big wave sunk the big boat, they got in a 12 or 14 foot open aluminium boat, and survived.

just saw the move - ahhhh well I'm just gonna keep quiet. I wanted to find out what the original boat was, what the boat in the movie was and what boat boat the boyfriends was.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:32 AM, Rasputin22 said:

Steve Callahan should get a percentage just for the title,

Image result for adrift 76 days lost at sea

When I first heard about the movie, I immediately thought it was going to be about this book.  

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that “The Mercy” finally creates a half decent sailing movie...

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:14 PM, jackolantern said:

I lost it on Perfect Storm when the guy is hanging off the metal poles running a welder, in the middle of the gale, what a load of bull crap!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I lost it on Perfect Storm when the guy is hanging off the metal poles running a welder, in the middle of the gale, what a load of bull crap!!

That really happened.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not watching that. From the trailer she rescues him, unlike the true story. Why can't Hollywood let an independent girl have some sack all her own? Why does a guy always have to support her? Is it too threatening to the masses? Fuck Hollywood.

And yes, life can be brutal. That's why some people believe in imaginary friends in the sky, and on the other hand, why I enjoy a dark sense of humor and good scotch.

1 hour ago, mookiesurfs said:

Yeah I'm not watching that. From the trailer she rescues him, unlike the true story. Why can't Hollywood let an independent girl have some sack all her own? Why does a guy always have to support her? Is it too threatening to the masses? Fuck Hollywood.

Might want to see the flick before you make such a silly statement.

I thought it was well done, and even the sailing wasn't too technically incorrect. One error was the incorrect noon sextant sighting, but that's getting down in the weeds.

Just watched it. For a freaking Hollywood movie they did OK with the sailing compared to what could have happened. One thing drove me nuts was the boat seemed to gain and lose bilge water for no reason and given the girl had 40 some days to clean up, you would think the cabin wouldn't be such a mess.

15 hours ago, wristwister said:

Might want to see the flick before you make such a silly statement.

I thought it was well done, and even the sailing wasn't too technically incorrect. One error was the incorrect noon sextant sighting, but that's getting down in the weeds.

Does she rescue him as the trailer portrays? Or is that hallucinating? I think the story is best as it actually happened: she regains consciousness completely alone and must save herself in the face of incredible loss. Hopefully that's the movie. Anything else is a sop to the masses.

16 minutes ago, mookiesurfs said:

Does she rescue him as the trailer portrays? Or is that hallucinating? I think the story is best as it actually happened: she regains consciousness completely alone and must save herself in the face of incredible loss. Hopefully that's the movie. Anything else is a sop to the masses.

SPOILER ALERT -

DO NOT FREAKING READ THIS

OK, I warned you. You think she saved him but he is revealed to be a hallucination. It worked well in the movie.

The actual just the facts movie would be she sat on a wrecked boat drift-sailing to Hawaii and eating canned food for over a month and then got towed the last few miles to the dock - the end.

4 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

SPOILER ALERT -

DO NOT FREAKING READ THIS

OK, I warned you. You think she saved him but he is revealed to be a hallucination. It worked well in the movie.

The actual just the facts movie would be she sat on a wrecked boat drift-sailing to Hawaii and eating canned food for over a month and then got towed the last few miles to the dock - the end.

Cool, thanks. You just gave me two hours of my life back.

Question - the movie version of Tahiti appears to be a crowded place that is always gray and overcast and if you aren't looking at a palm tree, could very well be part of Seattle. Is it REALLY like that? I always imagined it more like Oahu.

1 hour ago, Great White said:

Ugh, and she lost her 22 year old daughter to carbon monoxide poisoning in 2017...

Wife just returned from seeing the movie. She said it is more a chick flick, than a real sailing movie. Said I would likely be bored with seeing it.

On 6/6/2018 at 3:08 PM, kent_island_sailor said:

Question - the movie version of Tahiti appears to be a crowded place that is always gray and overcast and if you aren't looking at a palm tree, could very well be part of Seattle. Is it REALLY like that? I always imagined it more like Oahu.

Yes, Tahiti is very much like Oahu, geographically and weather wise. It's about the same distance south of the equator as Hawaii is north, pretty much south of Hawaii, and part of an island group that contains Bora Bora. The islands of Moorea and Tahaa were our favorites. Sailed to a pearl farm and Bow picked out a black pearl and had it strung. Winner.

3 hours ago, mookiesurfs said:

Yes, Tahiti is very much like Oahu, geographically and weather wise. It's about the same distance south of the equator as Hawaii is north, pretty much south of Hawaii, and part of an island group that contains Bora Bora. The islands of Moorea and Tahaa were our favorites. Sailed to a pearl farm and Bow picked out a black pearl and had it strung. Winner.

So WTF was going on in the movie where it looked like you never see the sun?

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

So WTF was going on in the movie where it looked like you never see the sun?

Idk, I'll have to take Bow to see the movie. She will like it. Tahiti has your typical tropical rainy season with afternoon showers, and the capitol of Papeete is a crowded town, but outside of Papeete, French Polynesia is pretty idyllic, imo.

On 6/5/2018 at 3:25 PM, mookiesurfs said:

Why can't Hollywood let an independent girl have some sack all her own?

Because a movie about a woman sailing across the ocean for 41 days on a patch work sailboat after her fiancé dies would be boring as hell.

1 hour ago, sailingislove said:

Because a movie about a woman sailing across the ocean for 41 days on a patch work sailboat after her fiancé dies would be boring as hell.

Pretty much.

Anyone knows what boats they used in the movie for Mayalaga and Hazana ?

Did Hazana look much bigger than 44ft in the movie to you guys ?

On 3/16/2018 at 9:58 PM, SailBlueH2O said:

I read she used an arse double for that movie. Hers was too white and puckered.

I just watched a short film called 'shaved MILF has threesome with step daughter and her boyfriend's monster cock.'

it was very good.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:54 AM, mustang__1 said:

Mrs Steam and I went to a different movie yesterday and saw the preview of this, it looked really cheesy and trite.

Benefit of being an old married guy

9 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I just watched a short film called 'shaved MILF has threesome with step daughter and her boyfriend's monster cock.'

it was very good.

Watched it? Shucks I was in that movie. Glad you liked it.

FB- Doug

I took my wife to see "Adrift" this afternoon.  The following are few observations.

1. The boats seem much more credible as ocean cruisers than Robert Redford's boat in "All Is Lost."

2. I was pleased that they had a few scenes that showed the pleasures of cruising before the storm.

3. Yeah, it is as much a chick flick as it is a sailing movie.

4. I'd like to read the book to see if the movie in any way reflects the actual handling of the boat during the storm.  I would have expected them to lower the sails much earlier and run before the storm under bare poles with lines streaming aft to slow the boat.  Perhaps I've read too much Adlard Coles.

5. Without giving away the end, it is very sad.

6. Before the seeing the movie, my wife was scared of pirates.  Now she is scared of pirates and storms.

13 hours ago, captain_crunch said:

6. Before the seeing the movie, my wife was scared of pirates.  Now she is scared of pirates and storms.

Sigh.

I saw it, I quite liked it!

It's hollywood of course it but it was waaaaayyyy, lightyears beyond better than Awful All Is Lost.

Yes, I'm a chick and it sways more to the side of a chick flick movie but I think a lot of you guys wouldn't mind it - sorry, another spoiler alert, no serious tit shots, however, she is pretty cute. There were some annoying parts, for example someone here referred to her not hand pumping the bilge water dry, yeah that annoyed me too.

I really liked the back and forth between storm and survival mode (which I hear matched the book) and it was a nice change separating it other storm movies.

I liked it enough I'm going to buy the book....which is reeeelllly saying something, haa!

One bit of advice...if your wife is a non sailor and you want to go cruising SoPac ya may wanna skip it.

Rotten Tomatoes:

Adrift - critics 80% audience 82%

All is Lost - critics 94% audience 63%

Captain Ron - critics 24% audience 51%

However, I don't watch movies based on what critics think.  

Just returned from seeing the movie Adrift. It was better than expected and certainly better than that mess featuring Robert Redford! Although it had numerous scenes that brought us into fits of laughter over Hollywood silliness...

He says, "The storm is 1000 miles away"... pan out to see thunder and lightning a few miles off.

Full sails up until it was near impossible to stand on deck.

Sail rips and boom seems to break but she hops up on deck with an "I'll get it!" no worries attitude like she's bringing in the towels before a rain.

He sinks with the EPIRB...what happened to his PFD???

And of course the 300 ft wall of water death...gotta love that one! Shit!

Curious about some details though...I've search everywhere for the specific boat used in the film and can only find that it was a 55ft instead of the 44ft of the real life story. Anyone recognize the boat actually used to film the movie?

53 minutes ago, SailingSirena said:

Just returned from seeing the movie Adrift. It was better than expected and certainly better than that mess featuring Robert Redford! Although it had numerous scenes that brought us into fits of laughter over Hollywood silliness...

He says, "The storm is 1000 miles away"... pan out to see thunder and lightning a few miles off.

Full sails up until it was near impossible to stand on deck.

Sail rips and boom seems to break but she hops up on deck with an "I'll get it!" no worries attitude like she's bringing in the towels before a rain.

He sinks with the EPIRB...what happened to his PFD???

And of course the 300 ft wall of water death...gotta love that one! Shit!

Curious about some details though...I've search everywhere for the specific boat used in the film and can only find that it was a 55ft instead of the 44ft of the real life story. Anyone recognize the boat actually used to film the movie?

No, but the real boat is here, fully restored and very active.  The owner is a retired lawyer who bought her from salvage.  She's just outside the gate of the Hawaii Yacht Club and bears the original name.

So I bought Tami Oldham Ashcraft's book "Red Sky in Mourning," and here is what I learned.

- Richard Sharp's boat, Mayaluga, was a 36' ferrocement cutter that was built at a South African boatyard where he had worked.
- The boat for the delivery trip from Tahiti to California during which they encountered the storm was Hazana, a 44' Trintella ketch.
- On October 8, they had a WWV broadcast that informed them that Tropical Storm Raymond was headed toward them on a westerly course, so they steered north-northeast.
- On October 10, they changed their course to north-northwest and flew as much sail as they could carry to try to get as far north of Raymond as possible.
- The genoa blew out on the morning of October 11.  They replaced it with the number one jib.
- On the morning of October 11, the broadcast reported Hurricane Raymond on a west-northwest course.  They changed course and steered toward the southwest.  This proved to be a mistake.
- On the afternoon of October 11, the broadcast reported Hurricane Raymond on a westerly course, which put them on a collision course with the storm.  They changed course again and steered toward the northeast.
- That evening, the mizzen sail was damaged and had to be taken down.
- At dawn on the morning of October 12, the wind was a steady 40 knots.  They continued under sail with a deeply reefed main and jib.
- At 10:00, the wind was a steady 60 knots.  They took down all sail and headed into the wind with the engine running.  They had one EPIRB, and Richard insisted that Tami wear it.
- By noon, the wind was a steady 100 knots.  Richard clipped his tether to a cleat on the cockpit coaming and sent Tami below.  The anemometer registered 140 knots before failing.  The barometer was below 28 inches.
- At about 1:00 that afternoon, the boat pitchpoled or capsized.  Tami was knocked unconscious and didn't come to until about 4:00 that afternoon.  When she went on deck, she found that the D-ring at the end of Richard's tether had failed and he was gone.

The armchair sailor in me says they should have run before the storm under bare poles with warps or a sea anchor streaming astern.  I would think that a center cockpit boat would be especially well suited for taking the seas from the stern as the cockpit and companionway hatch are not so vulnerable.  Perhaps I've spent too much time reading Adlard Coles's book.

OK, I confess: I also went to see it today. It was raining; I was bored and curious, and it was in the dollar theatre.

It started out absolutely awful, with her duck-diving a wave and coming up with dry hair. And then, I almost walked out when they showed her riding a swallow tail twin fin. Please. Nobody rides those anymore, except maybe as a fish. I am quibbling, gleefully, but it was not an encouraging start.

Fortunately, it was all uphill from there. One of my big beefs, the hallucination of his survival, is actually foretold in the opening scene if you're paying attention, so the movie is off the hook for that one. It's not a great sailing movie, but it's not a bad one either, and it is a good story well told.

KIS, I don't know where they filmed it, but that weather wasn't French Polynesia. Maybe it wasn't meant to be.