Sign in to follow this  
Ed Lada

Favorite Larson Cartoons

Gary Larson's Far Side cartoons are some of my favorite cartoons.  It is a rare talent that can succinctly sum up the human condition in one panel.  It is hard to choose but due to my work and dog owning experience, below are 3 of my favorites.   

What have you got?

We had a framed copy of this one hanging above the coffee pot in a mental health clinic I worked at.

5aabdf2c3a91f_LarsonCrisis.jpg.11fd977a3e56ed24389d7df551731dc4.jpg

I pinned this one to the bulletin board in the ER office.

5aabe0af84c9f_LarsonBears.jpg.b8c2cbaad28bb1003abd42eb1d0dda4d.jpg

Most dog owners can relate to this one.

Image result for larson dog cartoons

image.png.56d4fae7abd27aa6b23666117861c9bd.png

38 minutes ago, Grabbler said:

2a48de5f1230b8bb5000768f7ceeb870.png

Probably my very favourite when we had a couple of very dumb male dogs. :D

1 hour ago, chinabald said:

This cartoon early in his career almost ruined him. 

IMG_3934.JPG

I'm not getting this one.....

4 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I'm not getting this one.....

"A more contemporary version of this would be American cartoonist Gary Larson's cow tools, which some critics have gone so far as to facetiously describe as one of the great mysteries of life. Larson drew a cow standing in front of her tool table with an array of tools spread out in front of her. It would have simply been taken as nonsense if one of the tools had not looked like a crude saw. Readers, seeing that, immediately assumed that the other tools must also be representations of actual tools and proceeded to burst their blood vessels trying to figure out which. Larson, who touched on the cow tools dilemma in The Prehistory of the Far Side: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit, said he had never received so many letters for any one cartoon before. He even received letters from some official societies who told him that not even their cleverest members had been able to guess which tools he meant. Like Carroll, he was bewildered by all the fuss. He insisted he had not meant anything by this cartoon and that the tools were not meant to represent any human tools. In retrospect, he admitted that his mistake had been in making at least one of them, resemble something which was recognisable, giving rise to the assumption that they all should be."

It's like Waiting for Godot. Or not.

6 hours ago, chinabald said:

Favorite far side cartoons. I have 100 but here are 2 that came to mind 

IMG_3929.JPG

Years ago I was in the hospital and a good friend gave me a get well card with that on the cover.  Inside he had written "Strangely appropriate".  I was hospitalized for a pneumothorax (collapsed lung)!

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

"A more contemporary version of this would be American cartoonist Gary Larson's cow tools, which some critics have gone so far as to facetiously describe as one of the great mysteries of life. Larson drew a cow standing in front of her tool table with an array of tools spread out in front of her. It would have simply been taken as nonsense if one of the tools had not looked like a crude saw. Readers, seeing that, immediately assumed that the other tools must also be representations of actual tools and proceeded to burst their blood vessels trying to figure out which. Larson, who touched on the cow tools dilemma in The Prehistory of the Far Side: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit, said he had never received so many letters for any one cartoon before. He even received letters from some official societies who told him that not even their cleverest members had been able to guess which tools he meant. Like Carroll, he was bewildered by all the fuss. He insisted he had not meant anything by this cartoon and that the tools were not meant to represent any human tools. In retrospect, he admitted that his mistake had been in making at least one of them, resemble something which was recognisable, giving rise to the assumption that they all should be."

It's like Waiting for Godot. Or not.

OK.... I was thinking for a minute that I might be a Godotdamned idiot..... Glad to know I am not the only Juan.....

Perhaps too appropriate for the times we live in...on the other hand it crosses my mind all too often on jobsites...

ba110f47e2efd7b8425994804a458a7f-1.jpg

2 hours ago, Grabbler said:

Perhaps too appropriate for the times we live in...on the other hand it crosses my mind all too often on jobsites...

ba110f47e2efd7b8425994804a458a7f-1.jpg

It crosses my mind every time I read about the latest Trump blunder.

I once worked at a bank unit called the CAU - pronounced COW.

It gave my sister an endless supply of Far Side birthday cards for me.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

5399735838_403c7dfb5a_o.jpg?height=400&w

That one is one of my all-time faves.

I also love that one, and have tried to explain it to friends without the visual. . . i usually failed, even after using "Oh Fuck" in the explanation.

I went to WSU and graduated a year before him. . . I had no idea of his potential then.  Spending time at WSU could explain a bit of his perspective on life.

3 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

I had a crisis clinic mug when I worked in a public health clinic. Got a lot of looks.

When I was in the Army, this was on my coffee cup.  Every now and then somebody would get it, and chuckle.

Image result for larson penguin cartoons

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

When I was in the Army, this was on my coffee cup.  Every now and then somebody would get it, and chuckle.

Image result for larson penguin cartoons

You mean................

34 minutes ago, chinabald said:

IMG_3937.JPG

Is that the Republican National Convention?

• Like 4

18 hours ago, chinabald said:

IMG_3934.JPG

Thought the forked stick was to hook the scrotum and the saw....

48 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Take it to PA

Didn't PA just turn Dem in a by-election?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VhmSays said:

Thought the forked stick was to hook the scrotum and the saw....

20 hours ago, chinabald said:

IMG_3934.JPG

I don't get it, either?  A cow and a barn in background, saw, hooked stick, and what are those two roundish blobs, please?

49 minutes ago, VhmSays said:

Harvested nuts

bull.jpg

Somewhere in the world, in a sleazy hotel, a groggy man has just woken up in a bathtub full of ice.  With a sigh of relief that he was still alive, he mused, that at least he had maybe, only lost a kidney.  He was about to find out that he was sadly mistaken...

22 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Somewhere in the world, in a sleazy hotel, a groggy man has just woken up in a bathtub full of ice.  With a sigh of relief that he was still alive, he mused, that at least he had maybe, only lost a kidney.  He was about to find out that he was sadly mistaken...

These days they tend to use most parts. It is still possible to plan a heart transplant a few weeks in advance. China stopped using prisoner parts without consent, the prisoners now sign a consent form.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2018 at 11:18 AM, chester said:

one of my favs.  he had a thing for cows too

Image result for gary larson talking cows

Chester, that one runs through mu mind every time I go out to the farm..

6500957913_bb30c2b4c7_b.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, austin1972 said:

Hey it's Chuck and Diane 

On 3/16/2018 at 12:30 PM, chinabald said:

IMG_3929.JPG

Back when I used to work in restaurants I would hang this one in the smoking area of every place I worked.  Some people didnt see as much humor in it as I did.

MS

• Like 1

Every time I dodge traffic, I utter these words when I make it.  I was on a first date years ago and whispered it and she knew the line.  We hit it off.  

63fe18c3-a059-4526-b953-401b70f0d572.jpg

On 3/17/2018 at 2:12 PM, austin1972 said:

I'm an old farm boy...you keep posting pics like that and i'll get all verklempt 

12 hours ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

download.jpeg

A friend in Mexico was having a problem with her chicken eggs disappearing.  Someone suggested that she place a couple of golf balls in with the eggs.  The rattlesnake she found the next morning couldn't escape through the chicken wire.

@ Austin1972:  :lol:.  the rake reminds me:  i'm 14ish and raking hay on a hot july day, i absent mindly loose my cigarette off the tractor.  FUUUUUCK, the Old man's gonna fucking kill me!  off the tractor on to my knees frantically searching for the smoldering but.  i can't remember finding it but eventually no smoke appeared so back on JD AR i went.

2 hours ago, austin1972 said:

8091184191_ac8dfd0d9e_b.jpg

17792507525_8f3a1bea4b_b.jpg

What a lovely, new rake.  You must be doing very well.

17 minutes ago, Laker said:

Obviously Austin is a sage farmer.  Why buy a new tractor if the old one still works fine, more money to get that nice, shiny, new rake!

1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

Obviously Austin is a sage farmer.  Why buy a new tractor if the old one still works fine, more money to get that nice, shiny, new rake!

It's not new. Some of my stuff is just really old.

image.thumb.png.8c2c93303cc83b6901e58ab2d87cdbc0.png

3 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

It's not new. Some of my stuff is just really old.

I worked on one farm in my life, a 150 acre vineyard that also had a winery and sold equipment and supplies to other wineries and home wine makers.  It was a Ford kind of farm and there were several Ford tractors, all of them advanced in years.  There was one with a rear mounted forklift and it had the seat, steering wheel and controls all facing the forks, which were on the back of the tractor.  And an oil clutch.  We called it 'Old Herkey Jerk'.  It was quite challenging unloading the occasional semi load of pallets stacked high with cases of new glass wine bottles, I seem to remember that there were about 90 -12 bottle cases per pallet.  It was almost impossible to let out that clutch without it grabbing with a mighty lurch when it engaged.  I never dropped any cases of wine bottles but one day we went to another winery that was going out of business to pick up a shit ton of new 5 gallon glass carboys.  We had a 10 ton (Ford of course) flat bed stake sided truck.  We got to the barn and hand loaded the entire truck with the carboys, which were each in their own cardboard carton, and there was less than a dozen left that we threw on top, above the stake sides.  We put them in the middle of the load and we didn't have any straps or rope to secure them.  There were 3 of us and nobody wanted to drive, so I said fine, I'll drive.  It was only about 4-5 miles back to our winery and I was driving carefully down a nice 4 lane state highway.  About 150 yards from the final destination I looked at the side mirror for the one hundredth time, just in time to notice that two of the loose cartons on top decided to make a break to freedom.  It seemed like they went flying end over end off the back of the truck in slow motion, sailing quite gracefully for rectangular boxes with several pounds of glass in them.  Finally their flight to freedom came to an end on the road surface (fortunately nobody was following us).  The 2 cartons landed at about the same time and one came open and the carboy skidded down the road about 100 feet before rolling to a stop on the berm.  The second carboy also came out of the carton and instantly exploded into a few million pieces, glass is weird like that.  Since we were close to the barn that doubled as a warehouse, I went there, traded the truck for a car and hurried back with a broom and shovel to sweep the glass off of the highway.  Now, if I saw someone with a broom on a road sparkling with shards of broken glass, I would certainly slow down and move over, but not so with many of the oblivious drivers that tried to run me over as I was trying to save them a flat tire.  The intact carboy had a serious case of road rash but no cracks in it.

1 hour ago, Laker said:

I believe Krylon still makes yellow and red flavors.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:33 PM, VhmSays said:

These days they tend to use most parts. It is still possible to plan a heart transplant a few weeks in advance. China stopped using prisoner parts without consent, the prisoners now sign a consent form.

Well, as long as they freely consent I guess it's okay. 

Unrelated, I have a few old books with collections of Larson cartoons.  Handed them to my 14 year old son who had never seen them.  He spent the rest of the evening nearly pissing himself laughing.  A lot of cartoons from 20-30 years ago (yeah, it's been that long) don't hold up but Larson is pretty much timeless.  Amazing art from a guy who probably didn't really think about it that way when he made it.

• Like 1

One of the first purchases I made once I had a full time job and some disposable income was to buy a set of the hard covered Complete Far Side collection and the Complete Calvin and Hobbes collection. I wasn't that into comic books as a kid, but I did love reading the comic strips in the paper. Those two, along with Bloom County were probably my favorites.    

• Like 1

I was never that big on Calvin & Hobbes. I preferred Herman.

image.png.f035d870237f9cf816a479e58f0e371d.png

image.png.e35024e64bba25749440476ead2bfd7a.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slick470 said:

One of the first purchases I made once I had a full time job and some disposable income was to buy a set of the hard covered Complete Far Side collection and the Complete Calvin and Hobbes collection. I wasn't that into comic books as a kid, but I did love reading the comic strips in the paper. Those two, along with Bloom County were probably my favorites.    

Those were 3 of my favorites too.  I had several books from each.

I was always a big fan of the British Andy Capp comic strip.  There was often a lot of real life wisdom in those panels.

Image result for andy capp comics

Image result for andy capp comics

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I was never that big on Calvin & Hobbes. I preferred Herman.

As a child of the 80's, I was literally growing up with Calvin and probably tried a few too many of his stunts. They always seemed to work out better for him though. 

My dad has a collection of various comic strips in book form that I loved reading over and over as a kid when I should have been sleeping. The ones that pop to mind are B.C., Wizard of ID, Hagar the Horrible, Beetle Bailey. Good stuff.