Sign in to follow this  
kent_island_sailor

Liberal Rs and Conservative Ds

We seem to have one BlueDog Democrat in the house now with Connor Lamb's victory. Trump even hilariously took credit for his victory :rolleyes:

IMHO it would be *fantastic* if we went back to having a conservative wing of the Democratic Party and a liberal wing of the Republicans.  Back when these things existed, there were essentially 4 parties and you had to have friends across the aisle to get anywhere. This would, I think, be a way for both parties to quit catering to the extreme elements of their base.

Also in the more immediate future, the Ds cannot win over rural and union voters who should support them, but can't see anything resembling themselves in urban oriented more left wing types.

• Like 1

There is hope for a centrist coalition at some point.  Meanwhile keep up to date.  That should be RedDog democrat with current usage.

• Downvote 1

On 3/17/2018 at 1:31 PM, kent_island_sailor said:

We seem to have one BlueDog Democrat in the house now with Connor Lamb's victory.

What makes him seem that way to you?

4 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

What makes him seem that way to you?

I haven't studied him in detail, but in general he is to the right of a lot of current Democrats. The more lefty-urban branch of the Ds would never vote for this:

3_142018_beltway-conor8201_c0-78-950-631

My read on his abortion stance is he is personally opposed but has no plans to get government involved. See :

Im intrigued by one of the ways that Conor Lamb appealed to cultural conservatives in his Pennsylvania congressional campaign. He said that, as a Catholic, he is personally opposed to abortion but that he does not favor new anti-abortion laws.

I know this is kind of have a cake and eat one too, but it to me describes a good stance on the issue: "I don't like it myself, but not my job to impose my religious beliefs on you" ;)

He may not hit every traditional Blue Dog note, but he is as close as I have seen lately. Since we seem a long way off from multi-party democracy, getting some variety into the existing parties seems about the best we can do right now. The sorting out of Ds and Rs into hard left and hard right (for the USA at least :rolleyes:) IMHO serves no one and does a lot to further the idea that the other party is not other Americans, but an enemy.

YMMV

15 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I haven't studied him in detail, but in general he is to the right of a lot of current Democrats. The more lefty-urban branch of the Ds would never vote for this:

3_142018_beltway-conor8201_c0-78-950-631

No, they wouldn't.

I agree with the topic post that it would be fantastic if they would.

What happens instead is that they see him as actually being a Republican.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:16 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

From the little bit I've heard about this race, it sounds like the D candidate is more of an R.  He openly says that Pelosi should be out of leadership positions, is anti-abortion, pro-gun rights, etc. 

The desire to ban guns like his (which some say is like mine) is a litmus test of party loyalty.

Also in the more immediate future, the Ds cannot win over rural and union voters who should support them, but can't see anything resembling themselves in urban oriented more left wing types.

Yeah, there are lots of .22 owners in the woods and I have yet to meet one who thinks his gun should be banned because it's a military weapon.

He thinks it's a sort of wittiness.

He thinks it's a sort of wittiness.

He's half right.

You really need to see someone about your .22 obsession. Seriously.

I feel exactly the same way about grabberz.

I'll stop talking about bans on (assault weapons, our .22's) the day after they do, as I've said many times.

I do agree with you that it would be *fantastic* if some D's who are not like you would vote for people like Conor Lamb who don't wish to ban (assault weapons, our 22's).

Senator Wagner has adopted the TeamD Party Line on gun rights but Senator Jones has not

Sen. Doug Jones (D-Ala.) said on Sunday that he does not support an assault weapons ban and does not believe a gun ban can pass Congress right now.

Asked by “This Week” host George Stephanopoulos whether he would support an assault weapons ban like his colleague Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.), Jones said it’s not feasible and they should instead focus on policy goals that can be accomplished.

“We've got to get done what I think can be done right now. Let's reach across and within our own party to do those things that we can do, and that to me is where I want to focus,” Jones said. “I really don't believe that a gun ban is feasible right now.”

.22!

16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

.22!

Right you are! Let me correct the quote.

Sen. Doug Jones (D-Ala.) said on Sunday that he does not support an assault weapons ordinary .22 ban and does not believe a .22 ban can pass Congress right now.

Asked by “This Week” host George Stephanopoulos whether he would support an assault weapons ordinary .22 ban like his colleague Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.), Jones said it’s not feasible and they should instead focus on policy goals that can be accomplished.

“We've got to get done what I think can be done right now. Let's reach across and within our own party to do those things that we can do, and that to me is where I want to focus,” Jones said. “I really don't believe that a .22 ban is feasible right now.”

blah blah blah

On 4/4/2018 at 5:22 AM, dacapo said:

blah blah blah

The fact that Sloopy and I recognize "assault weapons" to mean "ordinary .22's" and we both oppose grabberz' efforts to ban them in our respective countries shouldn't really reduce you to stammering.

quizás escriba en español a partir de ahora

Blah, blah, blah, .22

Given the current administrations focus on isolationism, trade wars, massive govt spending and desire to restrict personal freedoms, it’s almost as if the R party has leapfrogged left. The Dems are now thenparty of fiscal responsibility and personal liberty. Let that sink in.

Trump threatens China with new $100 billion tariff plan

By Jackie Wattles and Jethro Mullen April 5, 2018: 11:39 PM ET

President Donald Trump ratcheted up the trade war rhetoric with China on Thursday evening, saying he was considering another wave of steep tariffs on the country's exports to the United States.

"In light of China's unfair retaliation, I have instructed the [United States Trade Representative] to consider whether $100 billion of additional tariffs would be appropriate," the president said in a statement.

18 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Trump threatens China with new $100 billion tariff plan

President Donald Trump ratcheted up the trade war rhetoric with China on Thursday evening, saying he was considering another wave of steep tariffs on the country's exports to the United States.

"In light of China's unfair retaliation, I have instructed the [United States Trade Representative] to consider whether $100 billion of additional tariffs would be appropriate," the president said in a statement.

I like how the mainstream media didn't cover the part where he fired a .45 into the ceiling and brought down a chunk of plaster on Don Jr., who was looking for a facial feature to stick on.

3 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Trump threatens China US Consumers with new $100 billion tariff plan

President Donald Trump ratcheted up the trade war rhetoric with China US Consumers on Thursday evening, saying he was considering another wave of steep tariffs on the country's exports to the United States taxes on stuff they want to buy.

FIFY, though I think this would have been more relevant in the China trade thread.