Sign in to follow this  
badlatitude

Now, About Cambridge Analytica....

yeah, it's the Trump playbook, works great with retards.

All politicians play the same game, it’s just a different jersey their wearing 

Not really. There is a huge leap in voluntarily answering questions being told what it will be used for and having your details taken because one of your friends answered questions on the basis of a lie - that their responses would be used for academic research purposes only.

I'm not a big fan of the whole Facebook / social media info being used by Trump or Obama's campaign... but I do see a huge honesty gap between how the company Obama got their extra details and how Cambridge Analytica did.

The real problem is the information being gathered  about people every moment of every day.

the end users, be they political, business, or just regular bad people are laughing all the way too the bank...... They’ve never had it so easy.. $$$$$

Same shit different pile

Similar, but not the same.

As post 94 points out, there's a difference between asking and taking under false pretenses. It's not that big because the "ask" was pretty unobtrusive, as it always is in these kinds of operations. One of those "by clicking here, you agree blah blah..." kind of things.

But the Obama campaign apparently then went by the agreement. Cambridge apparently did not. That's different. Same kind of intent, same kind of program, and I sort of agree with Mismoyled that it's kinda sleazy. I also agree with your comment: welcome to the world.

I put stuff on FB for my friends to enjoy. I make it public in case they want to share. I know I don't just get to do this "for free." I'm the product. Doesn't bother me. I like the boat pics. Tad Roberts' feed alone is worth it.

Similar, but not the same.

As post 94 points out, there's a difference between asking and taking under false pretenses. It's not that big because the "ask" was pretty unobtrusive, as it always is in these kinds of operations. One of those "by clicking here, you agree blah blah..." kind of things.

But the Obama campaign apparently then went by the agreement. Cambridge apparently did not. That's different. Same kind of intent, same kind of program, and I sort of agree with Mismoyled that it's kinda sleazy. I also agree with your comment: welcome to the world.

I put stuff on FB for my friends to enjoy. I make it public in case they want to share. I know I don't just get to do this "for free." I'm the product. Doesn't bother me. I like the boat pics. Tad Roberts' feed alone is worth it.

Well, this goes hand in hand with people that go on vacation, post all kinda pics and information from however far away they are, and when their coming home,

and Low and behold, while their gone, omg someone breaks into their empty house and steals their stuff..... people continue too be just that naive,

That includes political hacks on any side useing the information how ever they choose to gather it.......

I couldn’t believe for a millisecond that anything anyones posted on Facebook is private, sorry everyone signed off on that when they clicked the agree button. 

I considered ditching Fake Book, rarely post anything anyway but some scattered friends post things to allow me to keep up and I would really miss the Bob Perry Fan club page, really nice folks who post about their boats and Bob shares freely with his body of work. 

• Like 1

The real problem is the information being gathered  about people every moment of every day.

I have a problem with data being gathered without permission. When it's given based on an honest pretext, however, I'm a little less riled up about it. 

the end users, be they political, business, or just regular bad people are laughing all the way too the bank...... They’ve never had it so easy.. $$$$$

Indeed. Technology makes everyone's lives easier - the good guys and the bad. I make a living writing software at home, for devices that didn't (couldn't) exist when I started over a decade ago, and am in constant communication with my co-workers who also live & work from home around the state. I've never had it so easy.

A mate of mine has a boyfriend in Canada (and yes, we take full advantage of every "imaginary boyfriend" joke under the sun). They get to share their day with one another in realtime, they video chat with each other pretty much every other night, and they keep in touch "for free" in a way that they couldn't a decade ago. Their relationship never had it so easy.

And so on connecting my family inter & intra state. Never had it so easy.

That all comes with a cost. As none of these people are (or even willing to) pay for it out of pocket - they become the product. They know this. They agreed to it. They consider it a worthwhile trade. 

I have a problem with data being gathered without permission. When it's given based on an honest pretext, however, I'm a little less riled up about it. 

Indeed. Technology makes everyone's lives easier - the good guys and the bad. I make a living writing software at home, for devices that didn't (couldn't) exist when I started over a decade ago, and am in constant communication with my co-workers who also live & work from home around the state. I've never had it so easy.

A mate of mine has a boyfriend in Canada (and yes, we take full advantage of every "imaginary boyfriend" joke under the sun). They get to share their day with one another in realtime, they video chat with each other pretty much every other night, and they keep in touch "for free" in a way that they couldn't a decade ago. Their relationship never had it so easy.

And so on connecting my family inter & intra state. Never had it so easy.

That all comes with a cost. As none of these people are (or even willing to) pay for it out of pocket - they become the product. They know this. They agreed to it. They consider it a worthwhile trade. 

That’s ideally the way the internet connections should work. Fast efficient and inexpensive. It’s too bad that at this point in time there isn’t more choice on how to connect with people. 

What about the paid political hacks here?  What about the biased press?

Anything you put on the internet or on a computer for that matter, you should consider it public information.

That’s ideally the way the internet connections should work. Fast efficient and inexpensive. It’s too bad that at this point in time there isn’t more choice on how to connect with people. 

That's the thing. There is choice. Diaspora, Discord, Google Hangouts, Vero, NextDoor, Ello, etc. Facebook isn't the only option out there by a long shot.

People are not interested in the alternatives because Facebook is better at doing what they want. All of their friends are already on it, it's easy for Grandma & Grandpa to sign up and use it, it's easy to upload & view photos of friends/family, they don't need to pay up front, etc.

I'm not defending Facebook's selling of personal data. It's a slimy business model in my opinion. I am simply pointing out that the issue of privacy &/or selling their personal details is not that important to the people using it. If it were, they have alternatives. They're not choosing those for a reason and it's not because Facebook is forcing them into anything.

I've been saying, for at least ten years now  -  "privacy is a 20th century concept". 

I'm not defending Facebook's selling of personal data. It's a slimy business model in my opinion....

I'll defend it. They told me I'm the product and I agreed. That's not slimy and is preferable to the alternative where I pay for what I'm doing.

What I haven't come to terms yet is why data mining has become a big deal suddenly. (Here are 50 Top Free Data Mining Software choices everyone's had for a very long time: https://www.predictiveanalyticstoday.com/top-free-data-mining-software/ 

Is it because the Russian government and Steve Bannon are connected to the Facebook data-mining heist?

Or is it a tweak in the tightening of the Russian Collusion noose?

Cambridge Analytica Connectivity Tree (of another kind)  © The Guardian, March 17, 2018.PNG

And somewhere there's a connection to Farage, UKIP and the Brexit vote in that mess as well.

Theresa May has been challenged to explain alleged Tory links to firms at the centre of a dispute over the harvesting and use of personal data.

The SNP's Ian Blackford said SCL, the parent company of Cambridge Analytica, has been run by a chairman of Oxford Conservative Association.

He also claimed its founding chairman was a former Tory MP and a director had donated over £700,000 to the party.

The PM said she was not aware of any current contracts with the firms.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43486054

If only Rachel  Maddow could weigh in with her towering intellect, she could make sense of it all. 

If only Rachel  Maddow could weigh in with her towering intellect, she could make sense of it all. 

I think there's more than one Naple. Now fuck off and show us your wife or girlfriends' tits.

What I haven't come to terms yet is why data mining has become a big deal suddenly. (Here are 50 Top Free Data Mining Software choices everyone's had for a very long time: https://www.predictiveanalyticstoday.com/top-free-data-mining-software/ 

Is it because the Russian government and Steve Bannon are connected to the Facebook data-mining heist?

Cambridge Analytica Connectivity Tree (of another kind)  © The Guardian, March 17, 2018.PNG

Why did you leave facebook off your connectivity chart?  Looking at all the nodes from that one would show you a lot.  In fact, it's the root node because it creates the fundamental database from which targetted instantiations are created using freely available apps.

Running a political campaign is marketing.  Look for marketing tools for facebook and you  will find a plethora.  Then consider your candidate a product and go from there.  Of course, thinking of it in that manner makes it so commonplace that it seems difficult to be outraged.

• Downvote 1

Only that is a lie. But when have you cared about the truth. The final evidence is that all the russian efforts combines were minuscule and only in your dreams were intended to make Trump president.  Hillary made Trump president. 

By the way those marks in the picture you photoshopped  identify it as copyrighted.  Congratulations, you are a criminal. 

Why did you leave facebook off your connectivity chart?  Looking at all the nodes from that one would show you a lot.  In fact, it's the root node because it creates the fundamental database from which targetted instantiations are created using freely available apps.

Running a political campaign is marketing.  Look for marketing tools for facebook and you  will find a plethora.  Then consider your candidate a product and go from there.  Of course, thinking of it in that manner makes it so commonplace that it seems difficult to be outraged.

Putin  -----> Sergey Mikhaylovich Brin Серге́й Миха́йлович Брин born in the Soviet Union  -----------> Google ----------> All in Hillary supporter
  ^>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>^                                                                                

That was easy and fun. Sort of like that Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon parlor game. 

Since you have nothing but ad hominem, let me point out that he left out the interesting truth about Google and funding that Russian Brin.

You aren't very good at this - the subject is a foreign government using data from academic research misappropriated to influence and sway voters.  Your failing Malarkey index is steadily rising.  I don't just attack Jack I ridicule his pathetic attempts to justify and defend the actions of Trump and whoever else his Republican hero of the day is.

You aren't very good at this - the subject is a foreign government using data from academic research misappropriated to influence and sway voters.  Your failing Malarkey index is steadily rising.  I don't just attack Jack I ridicule his pathetic attempts to justify and defend the actions of Trump and whoever else his Republican hero of the day is.

How was it misappropriated?  Facebook seems to be claiming that after the fact.

• Downvote 1

How was it misappropriated?  Facebook seems to be claiming that after the fact.

really?I think the CEO of Cambridge might be wishing that it was legit....

A High Court hearing on a bid by the UK's information commissioner to search the office of Cambridge Analytica has been adjourned until Friday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43501815

At this rate there’s nothing left to find, if it hasn’t already been destroyed  

really?I think the CEO of Cambridge might be wishing that it was legit....

Since Kogan got the data legitimately the question is whether CA got the raw data or the product of processing and what the Ts &Cs were in the facebook

From C/Net

Facebook, however, says that while Kogan mishandled its data, all the information Kogan got was accessed legally and within its rules. The problem is that Kogan was supposed to hold on to the information himself, not hand it over to Cambridge Analytica or anyone else. So Facebook disputes that the incident was a data breach, because the information was accessed through normal means -- using an app that asked people for access to their information, which they then agreed to.

The social network argued its point even further in an update to its March 16 statement, saying that calling this episode a "breach" is "false."

"People knowingly provided their information, no systems were infiltrated, and no passwords or sensitive pieces of information were stolen or hacked," the company said.

Of course, critics point out that Kogan was able to do what he allegedly did because Facebook allowed app developers to request and receive access to the data of users' friends. Facebook changed that policy in 2015, prohibiting the practice.

• Downvote 1

Since Kogan got the data legitimately the question is whether CA got the raw data or the product of processing and what the Ts &Cs were in the facebook

From C/Net

Facebook, however, says that while Kogan mishandled its data, all the information Kogan got was accessed legally and within its rules. The problem is that Kogan was supposed to hold on to the information himself, not hand it over to Cambridge Analytica or anyone else. So Facebook disputes that the incident was a data breach, because the information was accessed through normal means -- using an app that asked people for access to their information, which they then agreed to.

The social network argued its point even further in an update to its March 16 statement, saying that calling this episode a "breach" is "false."

"People knowingly provided their information, no systems were infiltrated, and no passwords or sensitive pieces of information were stolen or hacked," the company said.

Of course, critics point out that Kogan was able to do what he allegedly did because Facebook allowed app developers to request and receive access to the data of users' friends. Facebook changed that policy in 2015, prohibiting the practice.

no one has said Kogan got the data illegitimately. But it's clear that CA broke the rules.  Why are you defending these pieces of shit? It's not partisan at all.

no one has said Kogan got the data illegitimately. But it's clear that CA broke the rules.  Why are you defending these pieces of shit? It's not partisan at all.

What rules?  Facebooks?  That's a contractual issue, not breaking a law and their rules seem pretty fluid.  Even at that, if the data kept was derivative and not the raw Facebook data it belongs to the developer, not the holder.  Derivative and transformative works are something entirely different.

What you have here is a he said/she said situation.  Facebook is in the business of selling access to data. You don't even need to buy access to their data.  I worked on a FB page for a local non-profit and got tons of ads from FB telling me how they would push our link to thousands of people with an interest in {x or y and z} for relatively small sums.

I didn't particularly like the idea of them deciding who I was going to send info to.  A few years ago I joined FB and was suddenly beseiged with suggestions of people I should befriend.  It's been a fucked up mess for years.

• Downvote 1

Contractual issues are not he said she said situations.

You're right.  They are usually he said/he said based on gender bias in management.

• Downvote 1

What rules?  Facebooks?  That's a contractual issue, not breaking a law and their rules seem pretty fluid.  Even at that, if the data kept was derivative and not the raw Facebook data it belongs to the developer, not the holder.  Derivative and transformative works are something entirely different.

What you have here is a he said/she said situation.  Facebook is in the business of selling access to data. You don't even need to buy access to their data.  I worked on a FB page for a local non-profit and got tons of ads from FB telling me how they would push our link to thousands of people with an interest in {x or y and z} for relatively small sums.

I didn't particularly like the idea of them deciding who I was going to send info to.  A few years ago I joined FB and was suddenly beseiged with suggestions of people I should befriend.  It's been a fucked up mess for years.

it's very probably that European privacy laws were violated. Else Mr. CEO wouldn't have been relieved now, would he?

I think I figured you out, the more something smells like shit, the more you want to roll in it.

it's very probably that European privacy laws were violated. Else Mr. CEO wouldn't have been relieved now, would he?

I think I figured you out, the more something smells like shit, the more you want to roll in it.

Smells like shit?  Take a look at Christopher Wylie the "whistleblower"

In October 2013, five years before he came clean on Cambridge Analytica, the voter-profiling company he helped create, Wylie was pitching what may have been its sister company. At the time, Wylie was employed by SCL Group, where he oversaw the gathering and analysis of large bundles of personal data. While Wylie was young, he had already volunteered for Barack Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign and worked on Canadian elections, allowing him to see the foundation for something far more significant.

Before and after he left SCL and Cambridge Analytica in late June 2014, Wylie seemed to have few qualms about the Republican party in messages views by BuzzFeed News. In one, he mentioned how “hipster liberal vegetarian european gays” are taking over the Republican Party. Another, sent following the US midterm elections in 2014, included a link to an article about Republicans winning eight out of nine key Senate races, alluding to the idea that SCL and Cambridge Analytica helped these clients.

Still, Wylie wasn’t wedded to working for one party or ideology. According to one source, he claimed he was in conversations with Hillary Clinton’s campaign and held out hope that she would possibly hire his startup. That never happened.

Smells like shit?  Take a look at Christopher Wylie the "whistleblower"

In October 2013, five years before he came clean on Cambridge Analytica, the voter-profiling company he helped create, Wylie was pitching what may have been its sister company. At the time, Wylie was employed by SCL Group, where he oversaw the gathering and analysis of large bundles of personal data. While Wylie was young, he had already volunteered for Barack Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign and worked on Canadian elections, allowing him to see the foundation for something far more significant.

Before and after he left SCL and Cambridge Analytica in late June 2014, Wylie seemed to have few qualms about the Republican party in messages views by BuzzFeed News. In one, he mentioned how “hipster liberal vegetarian european gays” are taking over the Republican Party. Another, sent following the US midterm elections in 2014, included a link to an article about Republicans winning eight out of nine key Senate races, alluding to the idea that SCL and Cambridge Analytica helped these clients.

Still, Wylie wasn’t wedded to working for one party or ideology. According to one source, he claimed he was in conversations with Hillary Clinton’s campaign and held out hope that she would possibly hire his startup. That never happened.

roll in it bitch

18 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

This is known . Data mining has been going on for a long time 

is it bad for society ?

Only no if you are working for the people pushing that line.

Slug is batting for the same team as Hillary-Jack.

Edit: Maybe the same troll farm.

Former Cambridge Analytica exec says she wants lies to stop

And Kaiser, who until two weeks ago was a senior employee at Cambridge Analytica, has worked for a company involved in two of the most negative and controversial campaigns in history.

Now she wants to make those secrets public, becoming the second former Cambridge Analytica employee to come forward in less than a week.

10 hours ago, slug zitski said:

is it bad for society ?

So limp dick is now tossing about false whattaboutism. Fantastic.

12 hours ago, slug zitski said:

is it bad for society ?

It used to be called Customer Focus. Learn about your customers and what they need to better serve them. 

36 minutes ago, Hillary said:

It used to be called Customer Focus. Learn about your customers and what they need to better serve them. 

The phone company, the credit card company , the internet , the millions of cctv cameras, automobile black boxes, shops, hospitals .....

Massive piles of your data are being  collected  every day 

i was just at a  frontier post customs office to file paper work .They pulled my file and in my folder were hundreds of pictures of me taken over the past several years 

In this new world it would be correct to write new rules on who can profit from this data .

Facebook U.S. Criminal Probe Extends to Grand Jury

The social-media company is already under investigation by numerous governments around the world over alleged privacy violations stemming from its relationship with Cambridge Analytica, a political consultancy that obtained the data of millions of the site’s users without their consent. The FTC said last month it was creating a task force to look into possible anticompetitive conduct by Facebook, Alphabet Inc.’s Google and other technology companies. Several state attorneys general also are probing Facebook’s privacy practices.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/facebook-u-criminal-probe-extends-011132145.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAK4-ZycXS9nXWZOqENtTORV0Vlb2Ak8kkTxMyB_TWkiwcXx5ayItbBi5p3TwMkzB4ljXxz-g2faapcm3VuVdokZARbSG9stYcZ6_Wt29LUP7kHcYBAoh-m4LUCbVmYvY2mtBSOxFgdISG66N6peWLxUjZpEuNg17QP_m_aYl4F1M

CA essentially engineered Trumps success and Bannon seriously involved, I am surprised that congress has not had a show and tell with these people has Mueller even had a sit down?

Forgive me if they have, so many twists I am losing track:rolleyes: