Sign in to follow this  
Wet Spreaders

Alien Invasion Movies

There are a bunch of movies about alien invasions/arrivals and first contact. A top-of-the-head list includes:

- Independence day, Battle for LA, Transformers (all of those), Battleship, War of Worlds, Day the Earth Stood Still, District 9, Arrival, Close Encounters, V,  and many more.

Generally, the aliens just show up, or else show up somewhere near Jupiter and arrive within a few hours. 

What if they didn't have FTL, but instead, our first notice of them coming is pinpricks of light 15 years away as they flipped into a deceleration burn for earth orbit insertion.

With 15 years notice, you don't get to suck down a good steak, a fifth of ancient single malt and fuck the closest, best looking person you can find before being evaporated by a laser beam - there's some time to think about it. Also, by the number and size of the exhaust plumes, we could probably learn something about the mass of the approaching objects.

What changes when some obscure backyard astronomer in Alice Springs notices new stars where stars should not be...

3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Marrs Attackes

You're thinking of their 'ships" utilizing a propulsion system that we would understand.

6 minutes ago, hobot said:

You're thinking of their 'ships" utilizing a propulsion system that we would understand.

Of course. Ion drives etc. The movies all ask us to suspend belief that the speed of light cannot be exceeded. No-one has explored the invasion scenario when C can't be beat. I was mulling on that while waiting for the wind to fill this afternoon - no idea why - and it occurred to me that breaking plumes half way from wherever would be our first indication of a sub-light speed alien first contact.  

With 15, or 50, or 100 years of advanced warning, you have time:

- Load up with some fancy weapons

-  Build a landing pad/welcome mat

- Warn them off - what do you say? Who speaks for us? Do you threaten them? What if you send a message, and then get a response years later? What if the plumes go dark? Are they shooting on past or planning a later, more violent, burn to catch us napping?

Certainly aliens capable of interstellar travel on the scale ya’ll wish to imagine would have as their destination..............here.

Here's the problem: we feeble humans can only think about alien life in human terms. We assume they'll be about our size, come in some sort of space ships that make sense to us etc. Shoot, even NASA's best and brightest continue to look for planets out there that have water and an atmosphere to support life as we understand it, thinking that will somehow prove that there's life out there.

Folks, the only reason we breath oxygen, drink water, live between 0 and 100 degrees, and are between 5 and 6 feet tall is because we've evolved with the conditions this rock of ours provides. What if another species evolved on their planet with 10 times the gravity, an atmosphere of pure ammonia, and a surface temperature of 1500 degrees? What do you suppose they'd look like? Hey, what makes us think the earth isn't currently loaded with aliens from other planets? Perhaps they're microscopic? Maybe they're gaseous or liquid rather than solid like us? Maybe they're a whole different type of matter we can't even comprehend?

I don't know if this was the OPs original intent of this thread, but what the heck, those are my thoughts.

• Like 1

My thought was simply that the genre has become stale because of FTL. I was going through the mental exercise of banishing FTL, and decided that seeing multiple exhaust plumes would be scary in a long term sense rather than a Hollywood shoot-em-up sense.

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Certainly aliens capable of interstellar travel on the scale ya’ll wish to imagine would have as their destination..............here.

Fish tacos...

3 minutes ago, Timo42 said:

Fish tacos...

Ohhhhhh......food trucks! You might be onto something Timo.........

47 minutes ago, wristwister said:

Here's the problem: we feeble humans can only think about alien life in human terms. We assume they'll be about our size, come in some sort of space ships that make sense to us etc. Shoot, even NASA's best and brightest continue to look for planets out there that have water and an atmosphere to support life as we understand it, thinking that will somehow prove that there's life out there.

Folks, the only reason we breath oxygen, drink water, live between 0 and 100 degrees, and are between 5 and 6 feet tall is because we've evolved with the conditions this rock of ours provides. What if another species evolved on their planet with 10 times the gravity, an atmosphere of pure ammonia, and a surface temperature of 1500 degrees? What do you suppose they'd look like? Hey, what makes us think the earth isn't currently loaded with aliens from other planets? Perhaps they're microscopic? Maybe they're gaseous or liquid rather than solid like us? Maybe they're a whole different type of matter we can't even comprehend?

I don't know if this was the OPs original intent of this thread, but what the heck, those are my thoughts.

Like that orange one now living in the White House?

32 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Better chance (much better) of an NEO being a problem........

Yes - but that's a different movie! All you need to do is round up some aged moviestars and send them off in a shuttle....

7 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Yes - but that's a different movie! All you need to do is round up some aged moviestars and send them off in a shuttle....

:lol:

10 hours ago, Timo42 said:

Fish tacos...

This 

Or maybe there is no bacon on their planet. 

Basic issue is once you have the tech to build an interstellar ship, you have also have weapons we would be helpless against. Every worthwhile book or movie has some weird limiting issue introduced to make it more of a fair fight. One such I have seen at least 2 or 3 times is that it takes a long time to get from planet X to here and back, so they show up, look around, go home, and plan an invasion force equipped to fight sailing ships armed with black powder cannons :rolleyes: Another common theme is the aliens are very slow paced thinkers, so it took them forever and a day to invent their weapons and FTL drive engines. They assume humans are the same and we rapidly develop tech to outdo them, which they never considered possible.

IMHO, a real life alien ship would be likely to be some kind of AI probe and would make itself known by tapping into a satellite feed and showing up on the internet. It could even post right here on SA, which might explain a few things.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

What if they didn't have FTL, but instead, our first notice of them coming is pinpricks of light 15 years away as they flipped into a deceleration burn for earth orbit insertion.

Sort of the scenario of the Cixin Liu Three-Body trilogy. Aliens are detected approaching, with the arrival being several hundred years.

I'm not a big fan of Sci-fi, but found the books pretty interesting.

15 hours ago, wristwister said:

So, our you sayenf we creatted Allienes in hour owen imiagge to?

Fictional aliens may look odd, but they are basically people with tentacles or three eyes or something. Reading about beings who have nothing relatable to human thoughts and emotions might be frustrating instead of fun.

Thought experiment - we don't even know for sure how a lot of creatures on THIS PLANET think. Some marine mammals have more brainpower than humans do. We think it gets used mostly for post-processing sonar returns, but do we know for sure? How does an octopus think? They are amazingly smart for not being mammals. Apparently their real limit on learning is their short lifespan. Counting crows can really count - etc etc

Just now, Snaggletooth said:

Now hold on Snags, are you inferring that perhaps humans also invented religions by applying the limits of human understanding to that which we don't understand? BLASPHEMY!

The Expanse asks this sort of question, attempting to  game out an encounter with a truly alien life form (hey, they aren't blue skinned blondes with big boobs... weird...) in a way that is somewhat plausible (SciFy series, books), and if you're looking for a very good book, Vernor Vinge's Fire Upon the Deep looks into it, although with Earth not really at the center of the plot (aliens as a network virus / mind control problem). If they're sophisticated enough to move through space either FTL, on generation ships or in some form of biological or radio transmission, it's likely they are sophisticated enough to wipe us out (intentionally or as an unintended consequence of first contact / colonization) before we even realize we're making contact with aliens.  Shit, advanced life forms may be trying to ignore us based on their perception that we are some kind of particularly stupid house pets, for all we know. 

Here is a summary of the ruminations on Fermi's paradox. A bunch of movies and books are mentioned there exploring different implications of it.  

I just finished "Sea of Rust", where humans build AI-robots and big AIs. The big ones game out the future, realize the sun will go nova one day, and also realize humans cannot escape the planet. Between cosmic rays, no gravity, and lack of desire to spend generations traveling, we aren't cut out for it. So the big AIs get the robots to kill all the humans and then devote their energies to fighting each other. The winning AI gets all the resources to build ships and escape.

So in this scenario *we* are the source of AI robot ships wandering the galaxy.

5 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Who is Owen?

9 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

IMHO, a real life alien ship would be likely to be some kind of AI probe

This is the most likely scenario, even we humans tend to explore space using tools not warm bodies. 

5ab10c3602dcb_InvasionoftheSaucerMen.jpg.a9b745abff7e2f3db4a4ace49b25afbf.jpg

Full Movie

Oumuamua was just such a ship. It came into our solar system, rounded the mark (our Sun) and continued on the course.

On 3/18/2018 at 10:24 PM, Timo42 said:

Fish tacos...

It's true. It's why they keep heading to Newport Beach ... It's the fish tacos.

21 hours ago, QBF said:

5ab10c3602dcb_InvasionoftheSaucerMen.jpg.a9b745abff7e2f3db4a4ace49b25afbf.jpg

Full Movie

From the era of shitty science fiction movies and unimaginably good science fiction movie posters.

I read that they would always make the poster before the movie itself, to see if they could sell it. If the poster sold the studio, then they would slap together some bullshit film.

well, according to the movies / stories, all aliens seem to start earth contact in Buttfuck Arizona, or somewhere, with a full and generous rectal examination.

Suggest you just fence it off, and send the Trump administration in for a good rimming.

I just watched Annihilation. This "alien" was more or less a biological mutation field that turned existing Earth animals into odd things including something fairly close to man-bear-pig.

the invasion of the body snatchers (the 70s/80s version, with leonard nimoy).

I have an idea. How about an alien invasion film that has a saucers full of hot babes invading earth to breed with earthmen  in order  re-establish life on their own planet. It would be called "Invasion of the penis snatchers." 

Do none of you remember It Came From Outer Space????

Second wtf is ftl?

ftl = faster than light.

What was the movie where the hot babe was naked practically the whole time - some alien modification of human DNA - fittingly she had a barbed tongue?

Who is Owen?

Or at least that's who he was 25 years ago.  Oblivious to aliens but protected by styrofoam.

snark.thumb.jpg.0beec8132096e821cf9f18ad6495514c.jpg

ftl = faster than light.

What was the movie where the hot babe was naked practically the whole time - some alien modification of human DNA - fittingly she had a barbed tongue?

Wasn't that Barbarella, a very young Jane Fonda

No, it wasn't Barbarella.  In the one I'm thinking of, aliens messaged Earth, sending a DNA sequence almost identical to humans. Scientists decided to try it and somehow bred a specimen.  Because of potential danger they kept the specimen in a glass tank, where the hot chick starring in the movie was completely naked.  The specimen aged much more quickly than humans, and very quickly took on adult form.  Driven by an insatiable need to breed, she of course escaped.  For a disappointing amount of the movie she wore stolen clothes.  Planning on mating with one lucky guy, she detected that he was diabetic and therefore a flawed specimen, so she killed him by ramming her barbed tongue through his neck!

The details after that are lost to me, but in the end, she and a son were once again naked in a cave, where the good ole USA good guys toasted them both with flame throwers.  The final scene was the aftermath in the cave, with a couple of rats - displaying barbed tongues ...

ftl = faster than light.

Wasn't that Barbarella 

Really?  I watched some of that trailer and it didn't ring any bells.  Long time ago ...

Of course. Ion drives etc. The movies all ask us to suspend belief that the speed of light cannot be exceeded. No-one has explored the invasion scenario when C can't be beat. I was mulling on that while waiting for the wind to fill this afternoon - no idea why - and it occurred to me that breaking plumes half way from wherever would be our first indication of a sub-light speed alien first contact.  

Not all, Independence Day was about aliens who appear to have the ability to build ships so large they could conceivably be completely self-contained and regenerating, like a planet. The key to space travel just may be the vision and ability to make it home. 

We dismiss anything that can't be accomplished within our own life-spans, pretty much. Such ships would require people who would be willing to board knowing they would certainly be dead before reaching anyplace, and only their great-great-great-great-great grand children might, just maybe (and no better), someday get to a planet worth living on.  They would be not only committing themselves to this fate but all their offspring as well. 

They got caught in a celluloid jam

then atta deadley pase....

It Came From Outer Space

:)

Can't beat Lovecraft for sci/horror.

Dunno if they ever made movies apart from the Cthulhu attempt in 2007.

Never bothered looking.

Or at least that's who he was 25 years ago.  Oblivious to aliens but protected by styrofoam.

Misterey sollvede!               :)

No, it wasn't Barbarella.  In the one I'm thinking of, aliens messaged Earth, sending a DNA sequence almost identical to humans. Scientists decided to try it and somehow bred a specimen.  Because of potential danger they kept the specimen in a glass tank, where the hot chick starring in the movie was completely naked.  The specimen aged much more quickly than humans, and very quickly took on adult form.  Driven by an insatiable need to breed, she of course escaped.  For a disappointing amount of the movie she wore stolen clothes.  Planning on mating with one lucky guy, she detected that he was diabetic and therefore a flawed specimen, so she killed him by ramming her barbed tongue through his neck!

The details after that are lost to me, but in the end, she and a son were once again naked in a cave, where the good ole USA good guys toasted them both with flame throwers.  The final scene was the aftermath in the cave, with a couple of rats - displaying barbed tongues ...

Species

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114508/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_67 

I didn't want to see that movie because I didn't see any possible way that it could be as good as the trailer. So I just watched the trailer about 20 times.

Everyone has their own nutcake ideas of aliens, my nutcake idea is that we're alone in the universe.

We look at how varied life is on Earth, and we get this nonsensical idea that life is bursting out at every possible opportunity. And why shouldn't the universe be full of life made of gas, and life made of solid rock or based on selenium and hydrogen instead of carbon? But when you really look at life on Earth, it actually is only varied in a very topical way. At the cellular level, everything from a beetle to Pia Zadora to an octopus to a dirty crow are all just imaginative arrangements of oceanic cells that distribute some variation of seawater and gas to those oceanic cells. We think we're sophisticated because we can make Superbowl commercials, but we're more accurately just a shitload of unevolved ocean cells in a human-shaped bag of seawater.

If life was so desperate to evolve into every environmental niche, then we should rightly see something different from the one-note life that we have on Earth, here on Earth, or we would be able to at least make a single synthetic cell. 

If life really is as much of a cosmic fluke as it seems it actually is, then the conditions to make it happen are also apparently insanely rare, and it would take something on the order of the life of the universe to get that one perfect spark in a perfect atmosphere, with perfect liquid water chemistry, and perfect solar radiance with the perfect day and season lengths and perfect basic physical constants of electric cellular stability, magnetic stability, photon absorption, ground state stability and osmotic conditions. That perfection only apparently happened one time in one place in the last 14 billion years. Somehow, by some cosmic fluke or gigantic pants-shitting joke of The Almighty, a reproducible cell popped into existence, and then it reproduced, then that led to this illusion of biodiversity that we have today, a fantastically complex jazz symphony that riffs on a single note.

We get this idea that anything is possible, but basic physics shits all over that idea ... in the history of the universe maybe one protons has decayed. Maybe five or six water molecules have homonucleated. Some stuff is common, but some things are insanely rare, and it seems that the middle ground may not be a reality. Since our own Earth is not littered with basic variations of cellular life, maybe we should guess that us folks have a responsibility not to fuck things up before we get the chance to spread around other rocks a bit.

That is alien, do you still have that growth on you head (-:

No, it has since implanted itself in my chin(s).  

I was an alien.

But were you a stepmother?

Bud or Otto?

All I wanted was a Pepsi.