Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

Recommended Posts

X50s to be carried from race to race in a fleet of $uper12s !

Say it ain't true.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those boats with EV power for the foil operations will be absolutely amazing. I hope it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this to compete with the Super foilers around the world?

More jobs for sailors I say great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ I think they'll co-exist nicely - the AC50s are going to require TP52 budgets, whereas the Super foiler are closer to the 18s. So kind of different niches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Offshore 1 said:

Core are building one design foils and modding the boats. Anyone heard anything else?

Nothing official so far but rumors suggest San Francisco in October this year and then maybe Bermuda, Chicago, San Francisco events next year. 6 teams, in which case they’ll need at least 1 all-new AC50 build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all seriousness, who is going to compete in this series? The only person left is Nathan Outteridge and possibly Tommy Slingsby. There is NO WAY any of the AC teams will let their team members go to a rival series. So that eliminates Burling, Tuke and Ashby. It also rules out Jimmy Spithill, and any of the Luna Rossa team. It also rules out Ben Ainslie, Giles Scott and Leigh McMillan. It also rules out Dean Barker, which probably also rules out the guys he sails with. In all seriousness, who is left? And there is no way a brand new series will survive in "AC" Boats without "AC" talent. In terms of the boats, everyone witnessed the ETNZ AC50 absolutely destroy every other AC50 in Bermuda, therefor, any mods undertaken on the losing AC50's will ever prove to be as innovative or leading edge, as there will always be a faster boat and a better team. no matter who wins it, they will never be the best AC50 team. If they decide to mod the losing AC50's to look and perform similarly to the ETNZ AC50, they will always be looked at as trying to copy the characteristics of the ETNZ AC50. The reason the AC50's were so successful was because they were the leading edge of technology, the best of innovation and the latest in yacht design. By downgrading them to one design, it makes them just another foiling boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BR3232 said:

 

The proposed design from TNZ is a multihull if both foils are in the water.

no...its not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sclarke said:

no...its not.

I guess the Moth class needs to update its rules then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BR3232 said:

 

The proposed design from TNZ is a multihull if both foils are in the water.

Hull vs Foil.

No argument with Multi Foil

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BR3232 said:

I guess the Moth class needs to update its rules then.

pretty simple really. Multi-hull =  more than one HULL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sclarke said:

pretty simple really. Multi-hull =  more than one HULL.

What's a hull?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sclarke said:

masts, superstructure, rigging, engines, and other fittings."

I don't really see foils falling into any of these.

If a sailing vessel uses two points with air in between them for stability, what is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BR3232 said:

I don't really see foils falling into any of these.

If a sailing vessel uses two points with air in between them for stability, what is it?

If its not part of the sides, deck or bottom, it fits in the category of other fitting.

If it uses foils, its a foiling boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a sailing vessel uses two points with air in between them for stability, what is it?

That depends on what the "points" are. A foil is not a hull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, surfsailor said:

Those boats with EV power for the foil operations will be absolutely amazing. I hope it happens.

HAahahahahahaaaaaaa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sclarke said:

In all seriousness, who is going to compete in this series? The only person left is Nathan Outteridge and possibly Tommy Slingsby. There is NO WAY any of the AC teams will let their team members go to a rival series. So that eliminates Burling, Tuke and Ashby. It also rules out Jimmy Spithill, and any of the Luna Rossa team. It also rules out Ben Ainslie, Giles Scott and Leigh McMillan. It also rules out Dean Barker, which probably also rules out the guys he sails with. In all seriousness, who is left? And there is no way a brand new series will survive in "AC" Boats without "AC" talent. In terms of the boats, everyone witnessed the ETNZ AC50 absolutely destroy every other AC50 in Bermuda, therefor, any mods undertaken on the losing AC50's will ever prove to be as innovative or leading edge, as there will always be a faster boat and a better team. no matter who wins it, they will never be the best AC50 team. If they decide to mod the losing AC50's to look and perform similarly to the ETNZ AC50, they will always be looked at as trying to copy the characteristics of the ETNZ AC50. The reason the AC50's were so successful was because they were the leading edge of technology, the best of innovation and the latest in yacht design. By downgrading them to one design, it makes them just another foiling boat.

I find it hard to believe that Nathan won't find a posting on an AC36 boat. He, and Slingers, are amazing talent. Both rock the Moth class, Slingers if left to his own devices in AC35 would have run the team better than JS and his camo wheel IMHO.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sclarke said:

If its not part of the sides, deck or bottom, it fits in the category of other fitting.

That's a very convenient answer for your vague definition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Hull" and "hull appendage" are defined terms in the Equipment Rules of Sailing. "Foil" is a defined term under "hull appendage".  A "foil" is not a "hull" as defined in our sport, consequently the Jesus Lizard is not a multihull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, surfsailor said:

Those boats with EV power for the foil operations will be absolutely amazing. I hope it happens.

So you are trying to tell us that Larry has 50s that have computer controlled foils?  I wonder where he got that technology from?

hashshahshashahahsha

snooooroorotooorrrrtttt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BR3232 said:

I don't really see foils falling into any of these.

If a sailing vessel uses two points with air in between them for stability, what is it?

image.png.517986f8980b04089a3b38ac1eb5fb60.png

A moth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why so binary anyway.

One hull/more hulls

Hull/foils

Rudder and keel foils/lifting foils

Foil assist/full foiling

image.png.b5c1013d88a24e515f57d6fb2e5d5675.png

/

image.png.b06586e2fdd4e817acd4633f10daa1ea.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ The boats will not be called that - or "AC" anything else.

Because that is IP held in Trust by RNZYS  - and these boats (if they exist at all) will almost certainly no longer fit the AC50 class rule anyway -> which is IP held in Trust by RNZYS etc etc :D

 

So...... AC50, exAC50, ex50, x50, X50, X49, x49'2", X15 ?

WishitwasstilltheAC50

Wannabee50

WontcompeteunlessIcontroleverything50

Londonagreementfail50

Richdouche50

LarryAndMatEs50

Bitter50

.....

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

With this definition a trimaran is a mono.

Haha except a tri maran is a TRI maran because it has 3 (Tri) hulls (main bodies) which makes it a multihull. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, sclarke said:

Haha except a tri maran is a TRI maran because it has 3 (Tri) hulls (main bodies) which makes it a multihull. 

^^ But, if it's the main, there can only be one :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WetHog said:

The boats being used for this series are AC50's.  The AC stands for America's Cup. 

 

Stood for. Past tense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

 

Stood for. Past tense.

What does the AC in IACC stand for?  I guess the "Where are they now" thread needs to get deleted as well...

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WetHog said:

  I guess the "Where are they now" thread needs to get deleted as well...

Fine by me. There is far too much looking backwards on SAAC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

^^ But, if it's the main, there can only be one :)

If there is 3 main bodies, then it makes it a multi-hulled boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

 

Stood for. Past tense.

"AC" will always stand for Americas Cup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, random said:

So you are trying to tell us that Larry has 50s that have computer controlled foils?  I wonder where he got that technology from?

hashshahshashahahsha

snooooroorotooorrrrtttt!

No - when I said ‘EV power for the foil operations’, I simply meant that the foil operations would be powered by EV - you know, motors with stored energy in the form of batteries - just like they are proposing for the AC75s. In future, if you don’t understand a word, use google rather than posting something so stupid (multiple times) that you look like a troll. Thanks.

Foil control will of course be manual - just like it was on every AC72 and AC50 (although the fly by wire set up used by ETNZ in AC35 will probably be banned).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sclarke said:

"AC" will always stand for Americas Cup

Meh. Sometimes it stands for "Ageing Carbon".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WetHog said:

The boats being used for this series are AC50's.  The AC stands for America's Cup.  This discussion is in the correct forum.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Only for those losers who are desperate to retain some relevancy to a sporting competition that had left them in its wake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, surfsailor said:

Foil control will of course be manual - just like it was on every AC72 and AC50

Of course of course that makes sense.

After discovering the the way to win in two ACc is computer controlled foils, they are going to ban them right?

Of course!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Only for those losers who are desperate to retain some relevancy to a sporting competition that had left them in its wake.

How can you be so bitter when ETNZ won?  I’m happy that they’re finding a use for the otherwise obsolete AC50’s. I never saw Oracle fans throw tantrums about people continuing to refer to past boats as ACC boats. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailing circus's are awkward and slightly cringe inducing.

Sailing/yachting has be club/class and ego driven.  Passion has been a required factor to enter and win.  But these freak shows are the ultimate money-fication of passion.  Does not work for me.

Recently I saw the super-foilers and there was no passion, the pros were just going through their paces as best they could with difficult equipment and shit courses.

Stadium events turn sailing into freak shows with boats sailed by performing monkeys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AC50’s are the fastest yachts in AC history and if this Next Generation AC50 is as good or faster then that’s very, very cool. 

All the rabid Kiwi and conspiratorial  fanboys should chill out, there is a lot good about pursuing that path to even higher levels of performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Monkey said:

How can you be so bitter when ETNZ won?  I’m happy that they’re finding a use for the otherwise obsolete AC50’s. I never saw Oracle fans throw tantrums about people continuing to refer to past boats as ACC boats. 

I'm not bitter at all. It's a fact that Oracle lost, and that LE might want have his own party.

It's also a fact that this party is not the Americas Cup, it's something else entirely.

Taking old AC class boats, modifying them and then inventing a regatta does not make it the AC. Those that think otherwise are fooling themselves, the reasons they wish to do so are their own to describe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the only people who will be "worried" about this series are the organisers of the RC44 circuit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The SuperFoiler series is cool enough that Outteridge is helming and Ashby is wing-trimming the best effort.

 A NextGen AC50 series could potentially see talent as good, and coming NG AC50’s being even faster than the coming JC75 projections.

With $B’s involved it opens the possibility that certain guys could get very wealthy by signing in, perhaps even including Burling? Why is he still in negotiations with GD, is the offer too low?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do people call it a rival circuit, there simply is no such thing when it comes to the Americas Cup, thats what makes it so special.

I can imagine they will be fun to watch, but ultimately just like most other circuits pretty meaningless in the scheme of things. 

Really if it's not doing something unique like being the oldest prize around or sailing around the world or getting you a gold medal, then basically it's just another yacht race, watchable and fun sure and undoubtably for those involved a pretty fantastic experience, but no big deal really.

But hey I'll watch because the AC50s are pretty darn awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Boybland said:

I'll watch because the AC50s are pretty darn awesome!

Me too, they set a new standard of BadAss even before what is likely coming next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

The SuperFoiler series is cool  paying well enough that Outteridge is helming and Ashby is wing-trimming the best effort

FIFY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.69cd10f2a95cf522f1cf8a60423fa76e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, random said:

image.png.69cd10f2a95cf522f1cf8a60423fa76e.png

and yet how many times did the kiwis win the cup while larry was in the game?

hhhhmmmmmmmm

Image result for hmmm emoji

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, inebriated said:

and yet how many times did the kiwis win the cup while larry was in the game?

hhhhmmmmmmmm

Image result for hmmm emoji

hmmm, how much did Larry spend to win it hmmmmm

 Did he manage at all to win when he was challenging when there was other challengers, hmmmm

And he lost it to a Team with a smaller budget, hmmmm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Me too, they set a new standard of BadAss even before what is likely coming next.

I think Super foilers are more BadAss and many more teams will join in too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

The AC50’s are the fastest yachts in AC history and if this Next Generation AC50 is as good or faster then that’s very, very cool. 

All the rabid Kiwi and conspiratorial  fanboys should chill out, there is a lot good about pursuing that path to even higher levels of performance.

In hopes of what? The strongest teams in the next Americas Cup (that we know of) are highly unlikely to continue, or switch back to the AC50, even if they win! So what good can a possible AC50 series do? All it will do is add to an already full calendar, and possibly split or divide many of the already established series. Wouldn't it be better to enter one of the existing foiling catamaran series, if thats what you wanna do, instead of competing against them, and embrace the new foiling concept in the Americas Cup? That would seem a more credible, respectful and productive thing to do? I mean after all, for all the things that Dalton and ETNZ protested against in the Americas Cup, they still entered the Americas Cup. Only a very sore loser would start an AC50 series to compete against the Americas Cup. It seems the only viable argument is "well billionaires can afford to be stupid with their money" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, surfsailor said:

No - when I said ‘EV power for the foil operations’, I simply meant that the foil operations would be powered by EV - you know, motors with stored energy in the form of batteries - just like they are proposing for the AC75s. In future, if you don’t understand a word, use google rather than posting something so stupid (multiple times) that you look like a troll. Thanks.

Foil control will of course be manual - just like it was on every AC72 and AC50 (although the fly by wire set up used by ETNZ in AC35 will probably be banned).

 


Then BMW Oracle Racing did have very sophisticated on-board systems in 2010 in the Deed of Gift Match, which amongst other things they were able to overlay a line image of the optimum wingsail shape against the actual image, enabling the crew to make the adjustment required to get the two shapes into alignment, and achieve the ultimate performance. 

Linky to sailworld article

Every day someone invents gunpowder. 

But bittah Shit Sailor(sorta) keeps harping this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Boybland said:

Why do people call it a rival circuit, there simply is no such thing when it comes to the Americas Cup, thats what makes it so special.

I can imagine they will be fun to watch, but ultimately just like most other circuits pretty meaningless in the scheme of things. 

Really if it's not doing something unique like being the oldest prize around or sailing around the world or getting you a gold medal, then basically it's just another yacht race, watchable and fun sure and undoubtably for those involved a pretty fantastic experience, but no big deal really.

But hey I'll watch because the AC50s are pretty darn awesome!

 All of this is "pretty meaningless in the scheme of things". It's all just for the entertainment of the participants and the spectators.

When the America's Cup started sailing was commercially important. Now it's just for fun.

I don't think it's reasonable to say one regatta is more important than another. They're important to the people that like them and irrelevant to everybody else.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fireball said:

 All of this is "pretty meaningless in the scheme of things". It's all just for the entertainment of the participants and the spectators

Apart from those who make a living from it.

When the America's Cup started sailing was commercially important. Now it's just for fun.

I believe you have that backwards. When the Americas Cup started it was for fun, now its commercially important.

I don't think it's reasonable to say one regatta is more important than another. They're important to the people that like them and irrelevant to everybody else.

I think its absolutely reasonable to say one regatta is more important than another. Every sport has its "pinnacle event" and the AC is sailings pinnacle event.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, inebriated said:

and yet how many times did the kiwis win the cup while larry was in the game?

hhhhmmmmmmmm

Image result for hmmm emoji

Exactly the same as Oracle if you count out the 2010 DoG match where they were not allowed to enter because Oracle excluded every other challenger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barfy said:


Then BMW Oracle Racing did have very sophisticated on-board systems in 2010 in the Deed of Gift Match, which amongst other things they were able to overlay a line image of the optimum wingsail shape against the actual image, enabling the crew to make the adjustment required to get the two shapes into alignment, and achieve the ultimate performance. 

Linky to sailworld article

Every day someone invents gunpowder. 

But bittah Shit Sailor(sorta) keeps harping this point. 

Ugh hardly in the "spirit" of the rules eh @surfsailor ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wolkenzug said:

Exactly the same as Oracle if you count out the 2010 DoG match where they were not allowed to enter because Oracle excluded every other challenger. 

Best not bother with inebriated - his name refers to the state of his mum during gestation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, barfy said:


Then BMW Oracle Racing did have very sophisticated on-board systems in 2010 in the Deed of Gift Match, which amongst other things they were able to overlay a line image of the optimum wingsail shape against the actual image, enabling the crew to make the adjustment required to get the two shapes into alignment, and achieve the ultimate performance. 

Linky to sailworld article

Every day someone invents gunpowder. 

But bittah Shit Sailor(sorta) keeps harping this point. 

Hahahaha - are you seriously now going to pathetically attempt to relitigate AC33 now that you failed to relitigate AC34? And in a totally unrelated thread, once again?

Holy crap.

lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good news is that - if it happens - the AC50 series is going to be epic racing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It aint going to happen folks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

I think the only people who will be "worried" about this series are the organisers of the RC44 circuit.  

Really? You think the owner-drivers playing the RC44 game see themselves as AC50 helms?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once they’re fitted with Luna rosa ride control yep.  No different to the youth AC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, interesting point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, surfsailor said:

Hahahaha - are you seriously now going to pathetically attempt to relitigate AC33 now that you failed to relitigate AC34? And in a totally unrelated thread, once again?

Holy crap.

lol

 

no, i am responding to your *many* winges about ETNZ "fly by wire" in AC35 which it hardly was.

Its been done before bright boy. And you brought up 

(although the fly by wire set up used by ETNZ in AC35 will probably be banned).

Remember? 

Improved fully fly-by-wire systems recognize pilot's input as the required aircraft action, acting in different situations with different rudder elevations or even combining several rudders, flaps and engine controls at once using a closed loop (feedback).

linky to wiki

Was OR using "fly by wire" in AC 33 with closed loop feedback?

Holy more crap spouting from you.

but don't give up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, surfsailor said:

The good news is that - if it happens - the AC50 series is going to be epic racing.

 

pigs.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, surfsailor said:

The good news is that - if it happens - the AC50 series is going to be epic racing.

Yeah like Nascar eh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, surfsailor said:

Hahahaha - are you seriously now going to pathetically attempt to relitigate AC33 now that you failed to relitigate AC34? And in a totally unrelated thread, once again?

Holy crap.

lol

 

So when someone points out your hypocrisy with historical evidence your defence will be accusing them of relitigating the past?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/03/2018 at 10:13 PM, nav said:

image.png.517986f8980b04089a3b38ac1eb5fb60.png

A moth?

Laterally, not longitudinally, for clarification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I for one am glad to see the 50s will have a purpose after the AC .

Would of been even better if those beastly 72s were used .

But you'll never beat the pure efficiency of the 50s platform and their transportability .

If it all goes ahead it will certainly put a dent into the opinions of all the knockers who said the cats will never have a life after the AC .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Justaquickone said:

I for one am glad to see the 50s will have a purpose after the AC .

Would of been even better if those beastly 72s were used .

But you'll never beat the pure efficiency of the 50s platform and their transportability .

If it all goes ahead it will certainly put a dent into the opinions of all the knockers who said the cats will never have a life after the AC .

The Cats have no life after the AC. They are dead and buried. There is no use trying to revive an obsolete class which will either be too expensive to maintain and race or will no longer live up to the potential it once had. Leave them be. They were fantastic while they lasted, and they need to be remembered that way, not made into some less than optimum one design boat just for the sake of it. They are dead and buried. Remember the Super 12 class Tom Ehman spoke about? That really took off! There's no reason to believe anything the guy says. He's just trolling! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, sclarke said:

The Cats have no life after the AC. They are dead and buried. There is no use trying to revive an obsolete class which will either be too expensive to maintain and race or will no longer live up to the potential it once had. Leave them be. They were fantastic while they lasted, and they need to be remembered that way, not made into some less than optimum one design boat just for the sake of it. They are dead and buried. Remember the Super 12 class Tom Ehman spoke about? That really took off! There's no reason to believe anything the guy says. He's just trolling! lol

And despite that whiny tirade, the J class boats prove your theory hopelessly wrong. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Monkey said:

And despite that whiny tirade, the J class boats prove your theory hopelessly wrong. 

 

The J-boats have longevity because they are a glamorous boat which owners themselves can race as well as cruise. A niche that only they can fill, history in the Americas Cup as well as luxury and glamour. The AC50's have no such niche, as the GC32's already fill the round the cans inshore foiling cat spot in the market. There is also no way owners can drive their own boat, unless they are a very young, fit strong and agile billionaire, which lets face it, there is very few, if any in the world today. They are also already established as a global competitive series. All the AC50's will do is add another, much more expensive series to that market.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rh2600 said:

So when someone points out your hypocrisy with historical evidence your defence will be accusing them of relitigating the past?

Wtf are you talking about? Wtf does AC33 have to do with the AC50 class? I didn’t bring it up - that was Barfbag. 

My post simply said that - IMO - one design AC50s will not have a super complex fly by wire systems a la ETNZ. My reasoning is that such a system would cost a ton of development money  (since ETNZ is certainly not going to hand over their IT), and is unnecessary, since all the other teams were able to fly back the boats nearly 100% around the course with simple twist grips on the wheels - just not quite as fast as ETNZ with such a system.

How could you possibly read that as me ‘attacking’ ETNZ? Like I said before - I know heaps of great kiwis, where do you thin-skinned, butthurt trolls come from? Are you all just socks from the randum troll farm?

lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, surfsailor said:

Wtf are you talking about? Wtf does AC33 have to do with the AC50 class? I didn’t bring it up - that was Barfbag. 

My post simply said that - IMO - one design AC50s will not have a super complex fly by wire systems a la ETNZ. My reasoning is that such a system would cost a ton of development money  (since ETNZ is certainly not going to hand over their IT), and is unnecessary, since all the other teams were able to fly back the boats nearly 100% around the course with simple twist grips on the wheels - just not quite as fast as ETNZ with such a system.

How could you possibly read that as me ‘attacking’ ETNZ? Like I said before - I know heaps of great kiwis, where do you thin-skinned, butthurt trolls come from? Are you all just socks from the randum troll farm?

lol

 

You must have missed the implication that Barfy was making - your position that ETNZ 'exploited a loophole' that was not acting in the intention or spirit of the rule and that it was something dubious is contrasted with OTUSA doing the exact same thing with their sail rig in DoGzilla.

What's good for the goose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

You must have missed the implication that Barfy was making - your position that ETNZ 'exploited a loophole' that was not acting in the intention or spirit of the rule and that it was something dubious is contrasted with OTUSA doing the exact same thing with their sail rig in DoGzilla.

What's good for the goose...

You mean the ‘implication’ that Barfy imagined in his endless quest to be butthurt about 2013?

But to be fair, ETNZ did successfully exploit a loophole in the rule in AC35, as have many other successful AC campaigns in the past. So there’s that.

There is also the fact that what I wrote is germane to a discussion of the AC50 class - 2010 is not.

But whatever - whinge/troll away!

lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.60ba72172236ca87f5504da417f98bf7.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The Cats have no life after the AC. They are dead and buried. There is no use trying to revive an obsolete class which will either be too expensive to maintain and race or will no longer live up to the potential it once had. Leave them be. They were fantastic while they lasted, and they need to be remembered that way, not made into some less than optimum one design boat just for the sake of it. They are dead and buried. Remember the Super 12 class Tom Ehman spoke about? That really took off! There's no reason to believe anything the guy says. He's just trolling! lol

I agree, but the difference with this is  that the boats exist, some of which are at core, and they are spending large modifying them and building boards. This doesn't mean it's commercially viable, just that Larry has some loose change lying around...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I agree, but the difference with this is  that the boats exist, some of which are at core, and they are spending large modifying them and building boards. This doesn't mean it's commercially viable, just that Larry has some loose change lying around...

Is it confirmed that CORE are actually building anything? Seems a lot of talk but not much evidence. You'd think someone would've at least released some kind of speculation pic or design spec, even if it was only rumour. I mean for a brand new series, it sure is not doing a very good job of promoting itself. The 2018 calendar is already full and underway. If they don't intend to start until the 2019 season, they'll have to throw some big money at the Americas Cup crews to get them to turn down an Americas Cup salary. The design phase will be well underway for the AC75 by then, teams will be thinking about moving families around by then. I can't see any Americas Cup CEO's that will be willing to let their members compete in a rival series. If CORE is building anything, why be so secretive about it? Its not the Americas Cup, and its not even a new concept, or the fastest concept, everyone knows where that is, and it wasn't anything to do with Oracle. The longer this goes on, the more far fetched it sounds. The only person who seems to know something about it is Tom Ehman who many thought was supposed to be knee deep in the Super 12 one design 12 meter series that was supposed to be sailed in San Francisco. No one else has heard a peep out of anyone about that series, let alone the so-called AC50 series. Its just a pipe dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

And despite that whiny tirade, the J class boats prove your theory hopelessly wrong. 

 

I'm not sure it does. J-class can accommodate family (or lovers) and corporate entertainment. AC50s do none of that and never will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

But whatever - whinge/troll away!

 

Yourself and your playmates have the Oracle thread to yourselves. Please don't shit over all the threads too. It's gone way past amusing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ I agree 100%. I was simply noting that I doubt the AC50 class will use ETNZ style fly-by-wire since A) ETNZ would never share their IT, and B ) the other teams did a fine job flying all the way around the course with just twist grip controls on the wheels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

^ I agree 100%. I was simply noting that I doubt the AC50 class will use ETNZ style fly-by-wire since A) ETNZ would never share their IT, and B ) the other teams did a fine job flying all the way around the course with just twist grip controls on the wheels.

But they'll always be second best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

You mean the ‘implication’ that Barfy imagined in his endless quest to be butthurt about 2013?

your butt is the only hurt one. I've heard lube helps.

But to be fair, ETNZ did successfully exploit a loophole in the rule in AC35, as have many other successful AC campaigns in the past. So there’s that.

A loophole that was made clear by a request to the MC a year before. And, as i mentioned, had been used before. Oh, and you spit the dummy when the FACTS were presented.

There is also the fact that what I wrote is germane to a discussion of the AC50 class - 2010 is not.

I won't go through your posts to count how many times you suggested "fly by wire" was the method in which ETNZ controlled their boat in AC35. Fly by wire is quite different from advice from a computer; like polars, lay line, time to start. Just clench and you will spit it out.

But whatever - whinge/troll away!

But really, take your troll regards "fly by wire" somewhere else. "There's that" back to you. Please STFU.

lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

But they'll always be second best.

In your opinion. In MY view, the AC50 circuit - if it happens - will be Gran Prix yacht racing at its best - 50 knot wing sailed foiling cats that can foil all the way round the course. Especially if they add EV to raise/lower/cant/rake the foils, so the grinders are only trimming the wing and jib. 

When you really think about it, those boats and the schedule they were looking at doing with the framework agreement makes more sense as a ‘gran prix’ than as an AC format anyway - once every 4 years is plenty often for the AC, and closer to tradition.

It will also add an upper level tier to foiling racing that will be another potential source/proving ground for future AC sailors. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites