Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

I liked the video.  One thing struck me was the F50 rudders looked a lot like the ETNZ AC50 ones in the video here

I could not find a clear picture of the OTUSA AC50 rudders so I do not know  if they were the same (thought not but vague).

Both ETNZ and Artemis used this style of rudder wings. OTUSA probably did not, but they did make a lot of changes as the match went on and they might have come up with new rudders during that time.

MICKEY ICKERT - North Sails

"As for another holy grail, predicting the America’s Cup future, Mickey says the current TP52 fleet is a good place to start. “The sailors need to keep on using their skills before the new boats come online. Everybody needs to keep on the forefront of what is important. Design sails and make them faster with the communication available. Make them faster with the technology available. Optimize for whatever their target is. Those skills will be needed for the new boat. The top end optimization will step up as we go towards the next America’s Cup.”

"The countdown is on, with the inaugural SailGP event in Sydney, Australia now just 25 days away.

The SailGP Sydney event will take place on Friday 15 and Saturday 16 February 2019. Each national team will compete in fleet races, culminating with the top two teams racing for a place on the winner’s podium in a match race on Saturday afternoon.

Team Japan recently picked up their F50, boat number six, the last boat to be built.

It’s a completely new build on a very tight deadline to be ready. So, they’re going to have to rely on their sailing team to take past experiences and come together with only a handful of training days ahead of the event in Sydney.

The Japan SailGP Team was able to accomplish some critical goals during a recent testing session in New Zealand, despite getting a limited amount of time on the new supercharged F50.

“Despite the session getting cut short, the experience we have in our team means we’re in pretty good shape, but we have a lot to do in Sydney in terms of gelling as a team.”commented CEO and Helmsman Nathan Outteridge."

sailweb

Should see the first boats on the water today in Sydney.

Anybody know any cams up around Cockatoo Island?  All I can find is bridge/Opera House ones eg

https://webcamsydney.com

https://www.earthtv.com/en/webcam/sydney-opera-house/live-stream

Maybe they will come zipping by but would be nice to see the base area.  

The race area is past the Opera House around Shark Island.  Webcams?

Kelly posted a photo of the France boat lifted into the water off Cockatoo Is. over in Sailing Anarchy. 

That's great to hear, hopefully everyone will get a solid couple week on the boats. 

With a two day event window, far higher chance of good sailing in the practice.

Anyone download the app yet? Stingray?

6 hours ago, barfy said:

There was supposed to be one I believe, so I'm hopeful there will be a way to watch this.

Yeah and they tell us at least a day in advance. But if it is Apple Store only I am not buying an iPhone for them. ;)

reckon the app has faded into the land of RSN, real soon now. Fox Sports will be the go; looks like a 2 week lead on the broadcast guide so 5th of Feb should have some idea.

A solution will float to the top soon; like coastal navigation, it becomes clearer as you get closer :  )

Billy Besson: Before the first race in Sydney, however, we will have three weeks of training. 

This is what I was interested in...hope they all have a great 3 weeks rippin the 50's!

The French boat was ripping around the harbour yesterday, looked like a mixed crew so guessing they are still sea trialing the boat. Plenty of action of wings up and down out there. So far have seen GBR wing on the boat, Aus was in the water and on tv early yesterday morning. You can see quite a lot from the water at cockatoo island and also allowed to walk down between the bases. Looks like it’s all happening. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, barfy said:

Billy Besson: Before the first race in Sydney, however, we will have three weeks of training. 

This is what I was interested in...hope they all have a great 3 weeks rippin the 50's!

What I found interesting was his comments on the very intensive and exhauting training on a simulator in UK, the number of controls he had on hand and feet, and that he did not know yet the best settings yet.

"F50 Platform pic: Beau Outerridge / Sail GP. Video & screenshots by Sail GP Team Australia - We appreciate the development and the tech involved, it adds more safety to sailors now that they are reaching 50 knots.
And we'll enjoy the F50 fleet racing without a doubt.

Still we like better the GC32 foiling & racing style, up to date fight sailing at its purest form."

catsailingnews.com

Ran across some O footage of their AC50 practicing in Bermuda before AC35.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/sailing/2017/06/15/new-zealand-has-become-fixture-americas-cup-match/401206001/

They had not (yet) deleted it.

Interesting to compare with the current F50 videos.  The F50s look more stable to me than the AC50 during straight line movement. What a difference fewer hamsters and, what, 5-10 million USD more a boat makes?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/sailing/2017/06/15/new-zealand-has-become-fixture-americas-cup-match/401206001/

Hope this one is clickable. Scroll down the article for embedded video.

Does anybody find it interesting that if this thread goes silent for a while Needaclew or barfy post to bring it to the top :huh: 

Half of the post are between these two.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they work for the PR firm.  Seriously.

32 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

Does anybody find it interesting that if this thread goes silent for a while Needaclew or barfy post to bring it to the top :huh: 

Half of the post are between these two.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they work for the PR firm.  Seriously.

You are now the one to bring it to the top, at least for 32 minutes :)

I'm seriously interested, and apprehensive,, like before a space launch. Nothing quite like this show has been let loose before.

And without SR, someone has to do a bit of cut and paste on larries behalf, kinda keep the drive alive

If anybody from the PR firm is hiring, I work cheap. Of course you get what you pay for. Sometimes less. And I am a skeptical "whiner" but hey maybe you are needy LOL ;)

But hey there's something in the way the F50 moves...

Was a conversation about sponsorship, sources of $ etc.  Note if one looks carefully at pics of the F50s there is a little "Oracle" on the wing, above the clear window. Can see it on port side of France boat (not in the pic above) and on UK boat so it may be on all. Have to go look at their  social/web images.

PS i do not work for the pr firm and not big o either

PPSsaw another photo with it in other side of UK wing maybe it is on both and they added it recently

SAILGP_190129_SYDNEY_OUTTERIDGE_07634.jpg

The boats are very cool, that much is definite. There is no denying that.

The only problem is, apart from the paintjobs, outwardly, the boats look exactly the same as the AC50's. Is 3-4 knots extra going to make that much of a difference to the casual fan? Are the boats actually going to be able to achieve that extra speed? 

Yes, to the informed audience, the boats have been modified extensively, but to the uninformed fan, wouldn't they look the same or very similar to the AC75? How exactly is this "Sailing redefined"? 

Are we expected to ignore/ forget about what happened in Bermuda? We all saw what happened in Bermuda, there is still You tube footage of Bermuda available online (even though they tried extremely hard to erase it all) Is the team who wins this series really going to be seen as "The best team"? As the saying goes..."To be THE BEST, you have to beat THE BEST" anything else is second place.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

The boats are very cool, that much is definite. There is no denying that.

###Nice paint jobs. Agreed. And I do think they straightline foil much more solidly than the OTUSA AC50. More like ETNZ's and I keep wondering what was changed, no answers yet.  ####

The only problem is, apart from the paintjobs, outwardly, the boats look exactly the same as the AC50's. Is 3-4 knots extra going to make that much of a difference to the casual fan?

###Hard to say.  Fleet racing might be more fun to watch.###

Are the boats actually going to be able to achieve that extra speed? 

###Probably.####

Yes, to the informed audience, the boats have been modified extensively, but to the uninformed fan, wouldn't they look the same or very similar to the AC75? How exactly is this "Sailing redefined"? 

###Regularly and predictably scheduled regattas, to watch live on site yearly and somehow virtually several.times a year?  A secure job for a team member asssuming they perform. An actual woman on a mixed gender team, hopefully the first of many. #####

Are we expected to ignore/ forget about what happened in Bermuda? We all saw what happened in Bermuda, there is still You tube footage of Bermuda available online (even though they tried extremely hard to erase it all) Is the team who wins this series really going to be seen as "The best team"? As the saying goes..."To be THE BEST, you have to beat THE BEST" anything else is second place.

###That was then this is now and AC is in a different boat now.  Maybe once ACWS starts in 2019 or 2020 or whenever the boats work, this fades. But now, this is what is on offer. 

Also, they are competing to be the best among themselves currently. Not compared to historical events.  Sheesh.###

So since you know everything, what kinds of changes might be making the F50s straightline foil so steadily now?  What was the boat foiling/balance technology difference between Aotearoa and 17?  

9 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

So since you know everything, what kinds of changes might be making the F50s straightline foil so steadily now?  What was the boat foiling/balance technology difference between Aotearoa and 17?  

"Now"? Are you saying the AC50's weren't straightline foiling steadily? The AC50's were rock solid in a straight line. We saw more than a few 100% fly time laps in Bermuda. A better question is can the F50 maneuver as sharp and crisp as the AC50's? We have yet to see a foiling tack/ gybe at speed as consistently fast and smooth as anything we saw in Bermuda. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Uh what I have been asking about in various threads was why the Oracle AC50 boat often seemed to rock a bit straightline, whilst Emirate's AC50 boat WAS rock steady.  The GP F50s are now steady (as far as the pr videos show) which makes me wonder why they are steadier than the Oracle AC50.

Sorry if you had trouble reading my post. I thought the part you quoted indicated that I saw the NZ boat steady and 17 not. 

Does the subtle motion in the video linked in #2605 look as good to YOU as the ETNZ boat? I thought not then and do not now. Most of the obvious rocking videos are gone. But it was discussed on Facebook until Oracle shut that down.

But, whatever.

27 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Uh what I have been asking about in various threads was why the Oracle AC50 boat often seemed to rock a bit straightline, whilst Emirate's AC50 boat WAS rock steady.  The GP F50s are now steady (as far as the pr videos show) which makes me wonder why they are steadier than the Oracle AC50.

Sorry if you had trouble reading my post. I thought the part you quoted indicated that I saw the NZ boat steady and 17 not. 

Does the subtle motion in the video linked in #2605 look as good to YOU as the ETNZ boat? I thought not then and do not now. Most of the obvious rocking videos are gone. But it was discussed on Facebook until Oracle shut that down.

But, whatever.

Given that the new boats are not bound to be compliant with the rules for AC35 they've likely been able to make adaptations and optimisations in both foil design and flight control systems to make them more stable...

Also apparently OTUSA found some old flight-control system in the back of the shed in a box labelled AC34 H3RB13 and they figured they'd give it a whirl it on the new boats...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

*1* Given that the new boats are not bound to be compliant with the rules for AC35 they've likely been able to make adaptations and optimisations in both foil design and flight control systems to make them more stable...

*2* Also apparently OTUSA found some old flight-control system in the back of the shed in a box labelled AC34 H3RB13 and they figured they'd give it a whirl it on the new boats...

1 ... apparently!  Would love to know what exactly they did to catch up. ;)

2 ... Recycling is part of "sustainability," no?  Bwahahaha!!!! LOL

2 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

1 ... apparently!  Would love to know what exactly they did to catch up. ;)

Yup... but sadly these jokers continue to demonstrate they don't have the first clue about how to stage and drive engagement for a new world sporting event... just run-of-the-mill energy-blast- mood reels of old footage and no real information beyond that.... the coloured boats actually look kinda retro to me...

Some Turkey a while ago was pumping himself over the fact that the Japan team needs to be fully compliant within four years of GP50... as if this is ever going to last that long...

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

But, whatever.

"Uh what I have been asking about in various threads was why the Oracle AC50 boat often seemed to rock a bit straightline, whilst Emirate's AC50 boat WAS rock steady" - Simple, better design.

The only sailing we've seen them do is puff videos that are only a few seconds long, and which obviously are edited to make the boats look good. So far we've seen a few short clips of the boats straight line sailing, and one foiling tack video by Australia which seemed a lot slower than anything we saw in Bermuda. In fact we've seen longer clips of the AC test boats than we have of the F50.

We'll soon see if these boats live up to the hype. If they aren't achieving 100% flytime around the course, it will be disappointing. After all, these boats are supposed to be a step up from the 50's.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Forourselves said:

The only problem is, apart from the paintjobs, outwardly, the boats look exactly the same as the AC50's.

Minus the cyclors.

Does anyone knows how much impact this Sail GP serie has on other series such as Extreme Sailing Series and Super Foilers? No date has been published for those two for 2019. Either Sail GP is stealing the show and is buying its way to the front by offering better $$ to sailors or those series have a bad time justifying the spending and lack of income. Probably a mix of the above but that doesn't bode well for Sail GP in 2-3 years when the novelty factor wears off...

I hope to be wrong though. I wish there was some great sailing actions with relatively good editing available every year to be watched.

Not really in the same space. In SailGP Larry owns the teams as well as the event whereas ESS has to attract teams as well as venues. Don't know or care much about Super Foilers but think that's similar to ESS?

2 hours ago, Lakrass said:

Does anyone knows how much impact this Sail GP serie has on other series such as Extreme Sailing Series and Super Foilers? No date has been published for those two for 2019. Either Sail GP is stealing the show and is buying its way to the front by offering better $$ to sailors or those series have a bad time justifying the spending and lack of income. Probably a mix of the above but that doesn't bode well for Sail GP in 2-3 years when the novelty factor wears off...

I hope to be wrong though. I wish there was some great sailing actions with relatively good editing available every year to be watched.

There were some rumors flying around that the ESS would merge with the GC32 racing tour. https://www.yachtracing.life/extreme-sailing-series-faces-uncertain-future/

.....and super foiler is postponed https://www.superfoiler.com/series/2019-series/

So if ESS and the GC32 Racing Tour fold due to the introduction of SailGP to the racing calendar existing alongside the AC, and SailGP fails to continue post Larrys funding, does that leave the sport of sailing in a better position? I think not. 

There's a lot of water to go under the bridge yet, but this is a very real situation that could happen, hence concern from people like myself over whether or not SailGP is a good thing for the sport. In the short term, it quite possibly could be, but what about the long term? ESS and the GC32 have existed through good economic times, and bad. It would be a damn shame if they were to fold and SailGP fails to take off as well. 

If Larry gets bored again, he can always take his billions back to the AC, and if Coutts' brainchild doesn't take off, someone, if not Larry, will always offer him an AC contract so both of them still have a very lucrative future without SailGP, but where does that leave the competitors and the sport?

• Downvote 1

There isn't the slightest evidence that difficulties ESS and GC32 tour may have now have anything at all to do with SailGP.  GG32 in particular has been known to be financially tenuous for some time.

29 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

There isn't the slightest evidence that difficulties ESS and GC32 tour may have now have anything at all to do with SailGP.  GG32 in particular has been known to be financially tenuous for some time.

ESS seems to be reaching its sell-by date and in need of a refresh. The business model very much depended on the host cities paying for events to boost their city and raise tourism profile.  Its something that a city is unlikely to sustain.

I dont know anything about the GS32 series. Honestly I dont think it is promoted in front of American eyeballs at all.

I would love to see World Match Racing Tour get back on its feet or ESS/GC32(whatever it is).

But Im personally excited about the SailGP series. It seems well funded, with some really interesting teams on fantastic boats, with a national team twist. What is not to like? We'll see how well the business model sustains itself.

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

If Larry gets bored again, he can always take his billions back to the AC, and if Coutts' brainchild doesn't take off, someone, if not Larry, will always offer him an AC contract so both of them still have a very lucrative future without SailGP, but where does that leave the competitors and the sport?

Do people really think LE would do an AC restart?  I doubt it.  Maybe if SailGP is a rousing success...if not, doubt he would invite comparisons with AC35/36..  But he would be pushing 80. Green tea and clean living can only do so much and he has robot plantations to build.

The real thing RC needs to prove is that he can run a break-even commercial enterprise now, then run one when it is subject to market forces, not run on subsidy.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Do people really think LE would do an AC restart?  I doubt it.  Maybe if SailGP is a rousing success...if not, doubt he would invite comparisons with AC35/36..  But he would be pushing 80. Green tea and clean living can only do so much and he has robot plantations to build.

The real thing RC needs to prove is that he can run a break-even commercial enterprise now, then run one when it is subject to market forces, not run on subsidy.

I'm sure if Coutts talked Ellison into it, he'd surely jump at the chance. After all, it was Coutts that Ellison phoned first and asked if he wanted to be involved in the Cup. When Coutts said No, Ellison decided to do something different. So if Coutts felt the need to prove himself on the world stage, in the Americas Cup, Ellison wouldn't hesitate. Coutts was the one who talked Ellison into backing SailGP.

• Downvote 1

NeedAClew writes:  The real thing RC needs to prove is that he can run a break-even commercial enterprise now, then run one when it is subject to market forces, not run on subsidy.

This observation is long overdue.  Coutts' last exposed his idea to market forces when he, Cayard And Lagos set out in 2007 to build a World Sailing League.  That precedent does not bode well for his current venture, especially so since Coutts seems to be travelling down the road of Apps as a way to demonstrate he brings an audience to professional sailing.  Granting that this time the App is free, still, Coutts seems not to appreciate how poorly ACEA did on this subject.  In market parlance, 'audience' is synonymous with 'market.'   If breaking even is Coutts best, he having access to a non-competitive source of capital, followed by doing more of the same, this time the event earning its way to the finite hours available to sports broadcasting, calls for Coutts mastering a lesson he will not learn when tuition is free to him.  

The app is certainly free, as in freely non-existent.

The rational behind selling broadcast rights as a business model is flawed IMHO, and I've railed on this previously. RC has 2-5?? Years of gravy train, I think he should be exposing the show as wide as possible while money is no objeCt. App, pay to view....has Wuss never heard of YouTube? Again, he needs to follow world surf league and widen audience while he can.

unfortunately, I think...Doomed.

Tick tock. Two weeks till liftoff in Sydney. 

Hint for RC: Just do YouTube, OK?  And leave it up to let people time shift or rewatch.  

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Tick tock. Two weeks till liftoff in Sydney. 

Hint for RC: Just do YouTube, OK?  And leave it up to let people time shift or rewatch.  

+1

Still think a major part of the impact of AC 34 was the freely available live streaming on youtube - unfortunately they utterly failed to build on that for AC35...

44 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

+1

Still think a major part of the impact of AC 34 was the freely available live streaming on youtube - unfortunately they utterly failed to build on that for AC35...

It must be difficult to reconcile all the wealth and power one must see and experience when running an AC (which at that moment is important thing in the world for you and the small world orbiting around you) with an essentially opposite view that the event in and of itself is essentially worthless and should be given a way for free and margined via other unrelated third parties through advertising etc.

It could be that the same dogged, blind, determination needed to succeed in sporting events like the AC is an incredibly important and attractive trait, but wholly incompatible with the pragmatic realism it takes to make and grow a world-class sporting event by accepting in large no-one really gives a shit (yet). It's likely this is where RC will need to overcome his natural 'wiring' in order for the event to "succeed" in terms of sustainable audience growth.

If you don't think that high quality sports content is already competing off from a base of free-of-charge and unlimited inventory, then Red Bull has some news for you...

Seriously, what new sporting leagues that have started out recently began with a PPV model, and if any, have succeeded? Even the incumbent PPV leagues are static or slowing, and perhaps some are growing, but off massive scale, reach and provenance (https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/consumer/epl-scores-big-in-europes-football-market-deloitte-report).

1 hour ago, alphafb552 said:

Totally agree. AC35 coverage was spectacular to watch if you could afford it. The (shit) app was geo blocked in NZ so we were forced to purchase an incredibly expensive Sky account just to follow one event. Total bullshit.

To make matters worse, in a fit of spitefulness, they deleted all the great AC34 YouTube content after losing in Bermuda.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rh2600 said:

Seriously, what new sporting leagues that have started out recently began with a PPV model, and if any, have succeeded?  

Mixed martial arts is the only obvious one I can think of. 

18 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Mixed martial arts is the only obvious one I can think of. 

That's a great example yes! So what are the ingredients at work here? Leveraging a somewhat taboo but universal primal-interest amongst the working class? Powered by "beefs" cooked up, stoked and orchestrated through a story-hungry media complex? Wonder to what extent SGP could learn from that...

Every young man, or even woman, can dream of being a sport fighter winner, not sustaining a 100 million dollar campaign with a sophisticated boat they don't understand.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Every young man, or even woman, can dream of being a sport fighter winner, not sustaining a 100 million dollar campaign with a sophisticated boat they don't understand.

Yup thats a great insight too!

• Like 1

I freely stipulate there may be some gender based blindness here, but another thing I (female) do not understand is the focus on the SailGP team as "athletes ignoring the pain" as voice-overed in the video ads. Yeah, they are fit and it is nice to see buff bodies glistening (instead of SCOW), but this is supposed to be about sailing, boat racing?  I mean, race car drivers have to have physical skills and endurance, but you think it is a fast car and he/she drives theirs better...

In making it be about being "the best sailors" I would think mental skills, coordination, team communication matter...as opposed to just being buff enough to survive a race. 

Or am I just out of it and the (male) audience they want to get are people who want to be MMA fighters or on the Ninja Warrior TV show but on a moving platform on various bodies of water? So sailing matters little, it is just extreme games? 

Ok, but is that particularly good for sailing? Might inspire people to take up cross fit or MMA. But not go look for a community sailing program. Or go watch the next seasons of SailGP.

3 hours ago, rh2600 said:

That's a great example yes! So what are the ingredients at work here? Leveraging a somewhat taboo but universal primal-interest amongst the working class? Powered by "beefs" cooked up, stoked and orchestrated through a story-hungry media complex? Wonder to what extent SGP could learn from that...

It was a sport bound to succeed. Every first time watcher could understand the rules. It appealed to rich and poor alike. And only after those two, it was marketed very well. 

Sailing just doesn’t fit that model, I only mentioned it because it was an example of a fledgling sport graduating from PPV to mainstream. 

3:44 "We've got the best sailors in the world here" hahaha sorry mate, but nah ya don't. Do they think people have forgotten Bermuda? Do they think people don't know what the Americas Cup is?? smh...Aussies, no surprises there.

6 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

These boats have shown nothing to prove they are a "Step up" from the AC50's. 

Looking at SailGP videos from later on when they practiced more, imho they look a "Step Up" from OTUSA's "17" AC50.  (As I have said, and perhaps we even agree lol, ENTZ had the better boat in Bermuda.)

3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Looking at SailGP videos from later on when they practiced more, imho they look a "Step Up" from OTUSA's "17" AC50.  (As I have said, and perhaps we even agree lol, ENTZ had the better boat in Bermuda.)

This is the other thing, does Sail GP expect sailing to fans to think Emirates Team New Zealand doesn't exist? Do they expect sailing fans to think the Americas Cup in Bermuda never happened? As the boats look now, on the 2nd of February 2019, I would go as far as to say ETNZ would still beat these F50's around a racecourse.

Straight out of the box.

4 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

I think they got it right this time and it will be commercially viable long term. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

I think they got it right this time and it will be commercially viable long term. 

Not if nobody ever gets to see the racing outside the venue...

• Like 1

NeedAClew writes:  I freely stipulate there may be some gender based blindness here, but another thing I (female) do not understand is the focus on the SailGP team as "athletes ignoring the pain" as voice-overed in the video ads. Yeah, they are fit and it is nice to see buff bodies glistening (instead of SCOW), but this is supposed to be about sailing, boat racing?  I mean, race car drivers have to have physical skills and endurance, but you think it is a fast car and he/she drives theirs better...

Gender is not contributing to your perspective here.  You place yourself apart from the marketing strategy Coutts believes will take he and SailGP where they need to be.  Viewed from outside the strategy, as you see it, assimilating the genuine physical demand of sailing a performance sailboat with “ignoring the pain” shows itself to be what it is: hyperbole.  The distance you put between yourself and the pitch Coutts would have work on you doesn’t allow you to see through the pitch.  Distance, and not gender, keeps the pitch from having an effect.  Viewed from inside the strategy, and this is where Coutts and those advising him betray a condescending attitude toward those whose eyes they would bring to competitive sailing, ignoring pain, shrugging off wear and tear, as these are made obvious by a sheen of sweat, show sailors to be anything but effete.  That is the target Coutts carries over from selling America’s Cup campaigns.  He will show professional sailors are every bit the steely eyed and sculpted heroes that ply their trade on ball fields, inside the ring or in the pits at a NASCAR race.  Certainly the competition on the field and oval rewards our gaze, but, let that fight carry over to a fist-fight anywhere, and that is where the camera goes.  As marketing teaches us about ourselves, fight satisfies as no informed gaze can.

What Coutts relishes for professional sailing is the ease with which the audience for baseball, boxing and auto racing set aside “He knows the water and wind better than his competitor” in favor of “These guys don’t like each other.”  That last quote calls for teaching a sailor a manner of introduction that shows he or she is ready to fight.  Here is the manner:  Begin by looking at the base of the camera stand.  The camera approaches and on cue slowly raise your head to bring an unblinking gaze directly into the lens.  Do not smile.  After all, it’s not as though you are greeting someone.  Compare this choreography with a sailor reviewing the latest weather report or she staring mindfully at a foil control the narrator tells us failed yesterday afternoon.  It’s by means of making this comparison that I come to a good reason to say Coutts and his advisors condescend to let a bigger audience see competitive sailing.

Is the attitude I speak to here directed towards competitive sailing?  Marketing teaches us to say the event is not compromised by many who pass through the turnstile having little idea what to look for.  Practice thinking this is a right thing to say leads us to worry it is not.  NASCAR introduces ‘strategic yellow flags’ to slow a race before the leader’s gap on the field becomes dominant.  Fans want to see close racing.  “Racing is rubbin’.”  Add interest mid-way in a nearly year-long season by publicizing a feud between drivers.  Stage a vicious weigh-in the day before the fight.  Boxing’s past is haunted by betting and mob influence.  Keep this thought in mind and make-believe the day before no longer seems well advised.  “Ali and Frazier hated each other!”  And so they did, for most of their adult lives.  But is that why the weigh-ins and their appearance together on the Tonight Show – “Look out Joe!” - went the way they did?

I mention these bastardizations in the name of publicity out of a concern that the truncated courses Coutts and company introduced in AC34 carry much of the smell strategic yellow flags and scowling weigh-ins bring to what we call sport.  The boats are fast, the courses short and the time needed if we are to see what we came to see is, well, it demands little of a day.  That is the gist of what Coutts would accomplish on behalf of professional sailors everywhere.  What they do is easy to follow and it’s over before you can ask “Why did Spithill think a luff would set his boat free?”  The audience Coutts would bring with him doesn’t know what such a question asks. So they have no idea when to ask it.  I worry the luff, and our reasons for anticipating the Bulldog doing it, might go the way of a too-long lead in a NASCAR race.

4 hours ago, Forourselves said:

This is the other thing, does Sail GP expect sailing to fans to think Emirates Team New Zealand doesn't exist? Do they expect sailing fans to think the Americas Cup in Bermuda never happened? As the boats look now, on the 2nd of February 2019, I would go as far as to say ETNZ would still beat these F50's around a racecourse.

Straight out of the box.

Off your meds again? Back to thousands of posts repeating the same shit I guess. Kind of overdue for a name change though aren't you?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Off your meds again? Back to thousands of posts repeating the same shit I guess. Kind of overdue for a name change though aren't you?

Fuck off asshole. You know I'm right.

4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

They’re definitely a step up from the AC50 rule, simply because they’re easier to consistently hit full speed with stability. This is ONLY because they could evolve off all the data from the Cup, as well as autopilot the flight. 

Despite SClarke’s stupidity, that isn’t an insult to the Kiwis in any way. They found the best solution and built the fastest boat. 

Where Dopey struggles is that the box rule is gone. 

• Like 1

#2655 Oh, for God's sake! Either get ETNZ to get their boat out of moth balls and over to Sydney to smoke the F50s or hush.  Who cares, otherwise? 

Just now, NeedAClew said:

Oh, for God's sake! Either get ETNZ to get their boat out of moth balls and over to Sydney to smoke the F50s or hush.  Who cares, otherwise? 

That would be hilarious watching it get swatted by the next gen boats!  Clarkey isn’t smart enough to understand these boats evolve. There’s a reason that past winners get sold off all the time in any box rule class. 

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Fuck off asshole. You know I'm right.

I missed you! I thought for awhile Stingray had taken over this account.

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

That would be hilarious watching it get swatted by the next gen boats!  Clarkey isn’t smart enough to understand these boats evolve. There’s a reason that past winners get sold off all the time in any box rule class. 

Nothing suggests they have evolved, infact they look like they have devolved instead of evolved.

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Just like it was hilarious watching Ellisons Oracle team getting swatted in Bermuda and shutting up shop.

5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Just like it was hilarious watching Ellisons Oracle team getting swatted in Bermuda and shutting up shop.

Those were fucking different boats!!!!  The F50s have different power systems  (fewer hamsters, no Tour de France guys), control systems, foils, wings.  

Had your fun but can't live in 2017 forever.

Now it is 2019 and we are waiting to see if a durable bromance materializes as a watchable, engaging sailing event or is a World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) offshoot on the water. 

Hey, nothing wrong with WWE as a going enterprise if that is what one likes... one of the cofounders heads the US Small Business Administration. It's just not SPORT.

Am still parsing #2653 but @scassani is on to something, I think.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Hey, nothing wrong with WWE as a going enterprise if that is what one likes... one of the cofounders heads the US Small Business Administration. It's just not SPORT.

I would watch that...if there was some way to watch it backwards.

30 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Those were fucking different boats!!!!  The F50s have different power systems  (fewer hamsters, no Tour de France guys), control systems, foils, wings.  

Had your fun but can't live in 2017 forever.

Now it is 2019 and we are waiting to see if a durable bromance materializes as a watchable, engaging sailing event or is a World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) offshoot on the water. 

Am still parsing #2653 but @scassani is on to something, I think.

No they weren't. They're essentially the same boats. Don't get sucked in by Coutts's "Re imagined, redefined, and digitized" fluff videos. They essentially just equalized the AC50's and gave them new foils (closer to those we saw on the Kiwi boat) and generic control systems, as well as a new letter at the beginning because they couldn't use the acronym "AC"

Saying they are completely different boats is a disclaimer encase they don't perform as planned. 

If you're talking sport, whats the difference between the WWE and SailGP? The teams aren't real, they haven't had to go out and find money, they haven't had to go through a selection process to compete. They don't even represent the countries they claim to. They're all owned by Larry Ellison, and run by Coutts who has hand picked the talent, given them all boats to sail and said "Make me proud"

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

No they weren't. They're essentially the same boats. Don't get sucked in by Coutts's "Re imagined, redefined, and digitized" fluff videos. They essentially just equalized the AC50's and gave them new foils (closer to those we saw on the Kiwi boat) and generic control systems. Saying they are completely different boats is a disclaimer encase they don't perform as planned. 

Well then be ecstatic. LE gettin' ripped off paying Core for 100,000 manhours making those F50s.  Surely that benefited slow Kiwi craftsmen ;)

https://sailgp.com/news/building-F50

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

If you're talking sport, whats the difference between the WWE and SailGP? The teams aren't real, they haven't had to go out and find money, they haven't had to go through a selection process to compete. They don't even represent the countries they claim to. They're all owned by Larry Ellison, and run by Coutts who has hand picked the talent, given them all boats to sail and said "Make me proud"

Well, that was my question.  I do not know if it will be sport or sports entertainment.  We'll see soon. Or not, depending if there is an app or YouTube, lol.  

But hey, good work prying the new half billion out of LE before their cloud tanks.  Hope it's in the bank.

Someone’s mom must have restored internet privileges. The ignored idiot went rabid again about the event he said he doesn’t care about. I wish everyone would quit quoting him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Someone’s mom must have restored internet privileges. The ignored idiot went rabid again about the event he said he doesn’t care about. I wish everyone would quit quoting him. 

I don't care about it. I do care about the harm it has the potential to inflict on the sport of sailing. And I do care about the double standards you show when you say things like "Its jobs for sailors" Then when it affects other long established series and has the potential to put sailors out of work you say "Well that one sucked anyway and I didn't watch it" and "I heard it was horribly mismanaged" 

7 hours ago, pusslicker said:

I missed you! I thought for awhile Stingray had taken over this account.

Haha, he certainly hasn't, but another poster writes SR style. But maybe I just don't have a clew...

^

Can't say I see a resemblance.  But maybe I also lack a clew.