Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

SAN FRANCISCO - February 11, 2019 – SailGP today announced comprehensive multi-platform coverage spanning linear and digital channels, offering fans unprecedented access to the new global sports championship setting out to redefine sailing.

nice prose

So, as suspected they've been trying to land deals with payTV operators at the last minute...

No operators would have paid much if anything for this content, so I have no idea why they aren't just to FTA deals and get bigger audiences other than to convince themselves it's a premium offering...

Last minute deals mean the broadcasters haven't been running hype and showreels and generating a build-up, awareness and buzz so I can see the likes of NZ audiences not even realising what they are seeing should they skip over (whatever backwater sports channel sky whack it on) as they try to find the cricket.

They've borked this thing before it even starts...

Great news and seems to be reasonable options globally. Not the free streaming many were hoping for but hopefully something for everybody.

I still believe it's ridiculously late in the piece to be announcing this now. Here in NZ, Sky could have been promoting the event through its monthly magazine, web and even TV advertising. It's now very late in the piece to hook in the non-sailing audience Russell and Larry have been so keen to capture.

Hopefully it means they'll have everything lined up for SF in May.

EDIT: Crossed posts with @rh2600 above but pretty much the same sentiment!

1 hour ago, rh2600 said:

the broadcasters haven't been running hype and showreels and generating a build-up, awareness and buzz 

Ffs, the event organizers put out what,3 posts on FB in the last two weeks?

25 minutes ago, barfy said:

Ffs, the event organizers put out what,3 posts on FB in the last two weeks?

Can't tell if you are arguing or agreeing...

tenor.gif.ee3111937a3f2f8cf1c14e1a5a23aacf.gif

Well, good to see they've got Sub-Saharan Africa covered.

No mention of the Netherlands, so I guess it's the app for me - just checked on Google play store and a search there for 'sailgp' finds absolutely nothing?

3 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Great news

Not really. Same old shit as AC35. No global live coverage, the App a waste of space in most places.

We have:

UK and Ireland
BT Sport: Live host broadcast; full race replay and highlights
SailGP APP: Supplementary video and data; full race replay
Facebook: Full race replay

So no legal live coverage unless you subscribe to the tertiary broadcaster BT Sport (few do). Similar in (for example) NZ and AUS, no live coverage unless you subscribe to a sports channel.  

2 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Not really. Same old shit as AC35. No global live coverage, the App a waste of space in most places.

Fair enough. I guess the news was just better than what I expected as it inexplicably looked as if there would be no content at all. I am lucky as I can piggy back on a friends account via the SkyGo app. The SailGP app will be geo-blocked so the only option here is Sky who will get very little out of it, especially as only us sad bastards are following this closely enough to know it exists :D

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone aside from those in here, and those sailing actually know this event is happening? They need to hire some agency like fuckjerry, and some social media "influencers" to get the word out. I'm channeling  Fyre Festival here......

Apparently with all the global IT might that Oracle possess (as some claim) they can't even shit out a video player app in advance of the sporting event.

If they do manage to get something through the gates in the coming days, the only chance it will work OK is if few enough people try to use it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

We have:

UK and Ireland

So no legal live coverage unless you subscribe to the tertiary broadcaster BT Sport (few do). Similar in (for example) NZ and AUS, no live coverage unless you subscribe to a sports channel.  

I feel your pain, even if I don't share it.

We're told that SKY Sport in New Zealand will carry the live feed, "alongside free-to-air coverage on Prime."  Try parsing that last bit.

Yes, the single Prime channel here is free-to-air.  Will it mirror Sky Sport or just offer chunks of the live feed replayed at impossible hours so they can stick with promised coverage of other sports or subjects? I think we know that answer.

7 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Crossed posts :D. As per my post above it looks like there will be an announcement "soon" . Judging by the reply to a comment on their FB page yesterday it should be today.

It beggars belief they've left it this late.

sailGP.jpg

Pass the Grey Poupon please.  I may have a giant slice of humble pie to choke down.

I say "may' because at the 11th hour Coutts is now promising the moon to tv, web and facebook audiences in dozens of countries world wide just four days before the first start gun.

I say "may" because I've lived through a few AC broadcast ramp-ups dating back to '95.

I'm not a betting man but I reckon you'd be pretty safe wagering a couple of cases of fine old Mount Gay that SailGP will come up short on delivering it's vision this weekend.

Guess what: Apple store also says “No results for ‘SailGP’”

So when is this fabled app to be released?

2 hours ago, dogwatch said:

We have:

UK and Ireland

Not holding my breath for the APP, but as I don't have any other choice...................

Some naughty boys and girls may find a way regardless. I wouldn't know but I've been told such things may be possible. Of course you and I could not condone such behaviour.

• Like 1

From SailGP Facebook:

''the SailGP app has not yet been released. It will be available later this week'' 

Translation:

The app is still a fuck up and does not work yet......

On reading through the succession of comments on the subject of broadcasting this weekend's Sail GP event I am left thinking the racing will not be shown on Sail GP's own web site.  Nor will Sail GP make the event available for viewing on any well-known, publically accessible streaming service, such as You Tube.  Amazon's Fire TV accesses both the Sail GP web page and You Tube; apparently I'm mistaken when I think I'll be watching the event this weekend, using a widely publicized and well-supported complement to traditional cable TV.

48 minutes ago, Strike3 said:

From SailGP Facebook:

''the SailGP app has not yet been released. It will be available later this week'' 

Translation:

The app is still a fuck up and does not work yet......

If I had the skills I would make a parody YouTube video on "The Making of the SailGP App" showing the app development team's heart-pounding work, the near-misses of releasing their crashing, buggy code and the race to release it before the boats splash.  It would let us mortals vicariously share the excitement as we sit with phones in hand, frantically but fruitlessly scrolling thru sites looking for the app.

How much did the developers get paid, one wonders?  Do they have jobs guaranteed for 5 years, too?  And when did they get the specs for the app? A year ago?  Or last month...?

Off to scroll... 

What a bunch of whiny fucks a lot of you are. It's going to be just like every other obscure event we watch. Just sit back and click a few buttons and open a beer or smoke a bowl and enjoy. Imagine trying to raise a family in Syria or some shit and then look at your whiny asses bitching about not having some billionaire sponsored event piped directly into your mind after only thinking about it once. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scassani said:

On reading through the succession of comments on the subject of broadcasting this weekend's Sail GP event I am left thinking the racing will not be shown on Sail GP's own web site.  Nor will Sail GP make the event available for viewing on any well-known, publically accessible streaming service, such as You Tube.  Amazon's Fire TV accesses both the Sail GP web page and You Tube; apparently I'm mistaken when I think I'll be watching the event this weekend, using a widely publicized and well-supported complement to traditional cable TV.

What, you think you actually DESERVE to watch the racing live?

Hard not to like a name like Pusslicker.

So I stand chastened and not worthy. I can only plead dazed confusion after that billionaire funded obscure event told me about 4 times a day for the last few months that it was going to be beamed into my brain, so to speak.  

11 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Can't tell if you are arguing or agreeing...

tenor.gif.ee3111937a3f2f8cf1c14e1a5a23aacf.gif

Ha,I don't have the sarcasm font at my disposal. But I like the gif, summarizes how all 20 readers of this forum feel about the JIT( just in time) media management straTegy of the circus.

Still a few hours to get the app up, even tho as I mentioned long ago it will be the last app, all they are doing is frantically trying to change some logo. Betcha when it does go live it will still have AC logo somewhere.

The numbers don't lie...  I subscribed to the SailGP youtube channel a week or two ago, and I think I was the 75'th subscriber!  This is beyond pathetic for a series which has clearly already cost many millions to set up with both physical and professional assets.  A typical video release from the SailGP channel will garner a handful a views after a week.  The intro video to the SailGP has about 25k views as of today.  There are cruising blogs that get that many views in a few hours.  The most widely viewed SailGP video has fewer viewers than a midrange (bums on a boat, sail soulanis, sv seeker etc) would have after 24 hours of posting.  This is nothing short of pathetic to be honest.  I finished frostbiting yesterday, and I asked a friend of mine after if he had been following the SailGP.  He had no idea that it existed.  He is a very good sailor and works in the sailing industry.  

Having said all that, I hope they DO get more viewers and exposure.  The concept is cool, and I'm pumped to see six boats doing 50mph fleet racing!  Should be some cool shit to watch.  I just remain baffled at how little interest there is for all of this, and the fact that the general interest in sailing as far as attracting new people and thus growth for the sport is coming overwhelmingly from slow boats that have nothing to do with racing.  

8 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Some naughty boys and girls may find a way regardless. I wouldn't know but I've been told such things may be possible. Of course you and I could not condone such behaviour.

Tried that last time and couldn’t be bothered with the pop-ups and virus warnings. 

Making life difficult doesn’t draw viewers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Hard not to like a name like Pusslicker.

So I stand chastened and not worthy. I can only plead dazed confusion after that billionaire funded obscure event told me about 4 times a day for the last few months that it was going to be beamed into my brain, so to speak.  

Put it on ignore like the rest of us unless you enjoy purile schoolyard insults as a matter of course...

3 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

BT Sports is the good news, worked well with pirate sites (and a good adblocker, firewall and antivirus) last time.

Some links to check when the event rolls around:
http://cricfree.sc/bt-sport-1-live-stream-ing
http://cricfree.sc/bt-sport-2-live-stream

https://www.ultrasports.tv/live/
http://firstrowge.eu/sport/others.html

It’s impossible to watch if you use an iPad or similar going down that wormhole. And I can’t be fucked to drag out and risk a work computer. 

No wonder sailing is dying on its feet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mad said:

It’s impossible to watch if you use an iPad or similar going down that wormhole. And I can’t be fucked to drag out and risk a work computer. 

No wonder sailing is dying on its feet. 

I agree, my post was just a service for the ones who can and want.

32 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

I agree, my post was just a service for the ones who can and want.

It would be no bad thing if the whole sailing world collectively turned their backs on the whole AC and AC spin off saga. It’s truly become an exclusive rich boys game for participants, designers, builders and the public. 

They are the only ones that derive any entertainment and $$$ from it. The trolls just like rolling around in mud pit for their fun. 

• Like 2

1/2: Australia/Japan.  I sentimentally favor Slingsby but Outteridge has so much time.  So I am 50-50. 

3: France.  They look surprisingly steady foiling lately in the videos.

On 2/10/2019 at 4:42 PM, Tornado-Cat said:

Who w'll the prize ? Listen.

Is the rest of this available anywhere?

15 hours ago, pusslicker said:

What a bunch of whiny fucks a lot of you are. It's going to be just like every other obscure event we watch. Just sit back and click a few buttons and open a beer or smoke a bowl and enjoy. Imagine trying to raise a family in Syria or some shit and then look at your whiny asses bitching about not having some billionaire sponsored event piped directly into your mind after only thinking about it once. 

Absolutely, we should all give up any interest in the trivial matter of sailing and instead work on world peace, feeding the hungry, saving the planet and curing the sick. So pusslicker, you first, what's your big contribution to the good of humanity?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

Guess what: Apple store also says “No results for ‘SailGP’”

So when is this fabled app to be released?

You mean this one?

Image-1.thumb.jpg.b70d88cafb5208be54b9724a4cb1469c.jpg

Yeah that one smartass, obviously released in the 23 hours since I posted that it wasn’t there...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

What, you think you actually DESERVE to watch the racing live?

Be embarrassing if the Star Sailors League had better coverage that the mighty Oracle backed sailGP wouldn't it!

• Like 1

With an android, I can get lots of sailing trackers including SAP, TracTrac, Extreme Sailing Series, but nothing for Oracle.  Sure you cool guys use iphones but half the world doesn't. Oh, wait, we're nonRolexing riff raff.  Fine. Off to watch WWE.

• Like 1

In Sweden you can actually watch it on viaplay if you subscribe to it. It is sent live at 5am on Friday and Saturday

7 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

With an android, I can get lots of sailing trackers including SAP, TracTrac, Extreme Sailing Series, but nothing for Oracle.  Sure you cool guys use iphones but half the world doesn't. Oh, wait, we're nonRolexing riff raff.  Fine. Off to watch WWE.

is there a sailGP .apk available? 

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Do we really think those F50's are going to be "significantly better" than these? I mean, really? Not just because Russell said so either. In what way? Speed? Livery? (not that the livery will make any difference to the performance) but is the improvement going to be visually noticeable? 

• Downvote 1

The blurb announcing the release of the app has a single sentence at the end saying: “an android version will be available later in the season”

Tough luck all you plebs who can’t afford an Apple product! 

Ooh, just checked the time on my Rolex, have to rush out now!

FYI: Apple penetration in worldwide smartphone market 2Q 2018 was 12.1%

So that’s 87.9% of smartphones not covered

You wonder why do they even bother :wacko:

• Like 4

It's all marketing straTegy, sorry if it's a bit transparent to the proles. All about generating anticipation and an apparent need. Big publicised product launches where we push the message to maximum are so yesterday. So those 85% of Android users will be chomping at the bit. Fuck, the desktop crowd will have to go out and buy Apple to be a part of the big show.

51 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

FYI: Apple penetration in worldwide smartphone market 2Q 2018 was 12.1%

So that’s 87.9% of smartphones not covered

You wonder why do they even bother :wacko:

There are a lot of "smart phones" on the market that are not really smart.  Many have nothing near to updated operating systems or processors, etc....  Apple commands a whopping 60+% of the premium smart phone market and they are the ones that most likely have the latest software and graphic capability.  Don't under estimate the demographics of the Apple phone.  Apple also pulled in 87% of the profits in the smartphone market.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:48 PM, KiwiJoker said:

I feel your pain, even if I don't share it.

We're told that SKY Sport in New Zealand will carry the live feed, "alongside free-to-air coverage on Prime."  Try parsing that last bit.

Yes, the single Prime channel here is free-to-air.  Will it mirror Sky Sport or just offer chunks of the live feed replayed at impossible hours so they can stick with promised coverage of other sports or subjects? I think we know that answer.

Looking at the timetables for Sky and Prime, there is not sign of any sailing on either Friday or Saturday.

It must either be on a separate pop-up channel (not listed), or it will be kicking rugby, cricket or golf off air.

In case nobody has seen, SailGP and each of the teams are posting a lot of really good material on Instagram.

39 minutes ago, Herfy said:

There are a lot of "smart phones" on the market that are not really smart.  Many have nothing near to updated operating systems or processors, etc....  Apple commands a whopping 60+% of the premium smart phone market and they are the ones that most likely have the latest software and graphic capability.  Don't under estimate the demographics of the Apple phone.  Apple also pulled in 87% of the profits in the smartphone market.

My point exactly - they're deliberately targeting premium markets - which is diametrically opposed to their aim of reaching a genuine global market and, in their own words "increasing sailing's mainstream popularity"

1 hour ago, alphafb552 said:

The blurb announcing the release of the app has a single sentence at the end saying: “an android version will be available later in the season”

Tough luck all you plebs who can’t afford an Apple product! 

Ooh, just checked the time on my Rolex, have to rush out now!

I find this funny. The ever annoying “we’re not a locked down platform “ is whining because they’re locked out.  

28 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

In case nobody has seen, SailGP and each of the teams are posting a lot of really good material on Instagram.

Great.

Have you reviewed the app yet SR?

Friday Tickets to the BYO snacks Fan Pass ($89 AUS) must be over subscribed. I was offered an upgrage to the fully catered Club pass ($249 AUS) for $50.

2 hours ago, Herfy said:

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/worldwide

Looks like us Kiwis are out of luck. Sky doesn't seem to know what's going on.

I don't think I have the passion or energy to chase this any further.

sky.jpg

4 hours ago, Herfy said:

The latest iOS 12 (and presumably the SailGP app) runs on all iPhones back to the iPhone 5s, released in September 2013. So a nearly 6 year old iPhone is as smart is you need.

SailGP runs just fine on an iPhone 5 SE (released in March, 2016), they can be bought for around AUD400. But be quick, they aren't being made any more. ;-)

5 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Hello SR. Where have you been?

6 hours ago, barfy said:

So those 85% of Android users will be chomping at the bit. Fuck, the desktop crowd will have to go out and buy Apple to be a part of the big show.

Fuck the app, it is pointless for most of us. No live coverage on the app in most countries. RC has learned nothing from the failure of AC35 to gain much attention.

3 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Fuck the app, it is pointless for most of us. No live coverage on the app in most countries. RC has learned nothing from the failure of AC35 to gain much attention.

Who the fuck gave that Wussell Coutts Cunt a CBE, actually?  Wasn't he a NZ traitor?

Was it the NZ prime minister, or the GB queen, or does it come with Rolex?

On 2/12/2019 at 6:25 AM, eliboat said:

Having said all that, I hope they DO get more viewers and exposure.  The concept is cool, and I'm pumped to see six boats doing 50mph fleet racing!  Should be some cool shit to watch.  I just remain baffled at how little interest there is for all of this, and the fact that the general interest in sailing as far as attracting new people and thus growth for the sport is coming overwhelmingly from slow boats that have nothing to do with racing.  

It's not really baffling. Most sailors don't sail really fast boats and don't really care about them. Non sailors don't really understand really fast boats, apart from the fact that they will almost certainly never be able to stand on one of them, let alone sail them.  The interest that generated growth has almost always come from slow boats. 

That last sentence of mine was not what I intended to express.  I get the appeal of sailing lifestyle vs sailboat racing as far as attracting new people to the sport.  What’s actually baffling to me is the cost/benefit analysis of the SailGP folks.  I’m thrilled that Larry Ellison is essentially providing this show for people that are interested in watching racing.  

For me, I think it would be more interesting if the teams all were given a budget and a box rule, so that there was a development component.  I realize that ramps up the cost, but it would make this a viable alternative to the AC, rather than being a mere spinoff.  As it stands (at least in my mind), the IMOCA class offers the most interesting interim venue for those into the technological aspects of sailboat racing.   

Stadium sailing m8te for the beer and popcorn crowd. Best served by close racing in matched boats. Sailing technology geeks can look elsewhere for their particular pleasures.

A little financial update on the benefactor of this little venture . And here I thought he was only buying up all of Malibu California . 

04A4C7AF-6523-41A3-AE63-4C88DD424E41.jpeg

19 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Looks like us Kiwis are out of luck. Sky doesn't seem to know what's going on.

I don't think I have the passion or energy to chase this any further.

sky.jpg

It’s listed to be in sky sport 3 live at 6pm. My mysky is locked in :-)

1 hour ago, kiwi_bob said:

It’s listed to be in sky sport 3 live at 6pm. My mysky is locked in :-)

Yes, I've since heard that too. Got to high-tail it home from kids sports to catch the start of Friday's racing!

Interesting interview with Kiwi Phil Roberston in the Herald.

"The thing you are playing with now at these speeds is that they are very dangerous and there could be deaths so as soon as someone does something pretty marginal I think the friendships will go to one side and there will be some punch-ups in the yard. I wouldn't be surprised if someone took a swing at someone else."

www.nzherald.co.nz/sailing/news/article.cfm?c_id=106&objectid=12203670

The app isn't much so far.  It has a non-spoiler option so that it won't notify you of the results until you get to watch them.  GP also stated that the full replays will be available on their facebook page.

I assume it will offer much more when the races are going.  Here is the youtube video about the app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxwF2I0mmA0

1 hour ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Yes, I've since heard that too. Got to high-tail it home from kids sports to catch the start of Friday's racing!

Interesting interview with Kiwi Phil Roberston in the Herald.

"The thing you are playing with now at these speeds is that they are very dangerous and there could be deaths so as soon as someone does something pretty marginal I think the friendships will go to one side and there will be some punch-ups in the yard. I wouldn't be surprised if someone took a swing at someone else."

www.nzherald.co.nz/sailing/news/article.cfm?c_id=106&objectid=12203670

Robertson has been a top performer on various international one-design circuits but most of the time has been been below the radar of the big media outlets.  A good performance in Sydney will boost his standing with the home town crowd.

7 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

Hopefully they tell the story of buying up all the red paint in New Zealand again.

Nice. I'll bet we get some interesting back story. So much held close to the chest after a cycle, getting a fact dump about now when things are slow ( for fans), is a good way to keep and build engagement.

21 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Hello SR. Where have you been?

Thanks, got distracted into other subjects after a month of vacationing in Italy with friends and family. 

Again, the SailGP channels running on Instagram are excellent, it’s definitely the hottest sailing circuit to follow for the time being - everything about that setup rocks.

2 hours ago, barfy said:

Nice. I'll bet we get some interesting back story. So much held close to the chest after a cycle, getting a fact dump about now when things are slow ( for fans), is a good way to keep and build engagement.

interesting timing. The full story just happens to be the day SailGP kicks off their first regatta. ENZ FB page says tune in tomorrow at 10am NZT

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

interesting timing. The full story just happens to be the day SailGP kicks off their first regatta. ENZ FB page says tune in tomorrow at 10am NZT

Well evidently they did invent "Grand Prix Sailing" - GPS / SGP ;-)

Just now, rh2600 said:

Well evidently they did invent "Grand Prix Sailing" - GPS / SGP ;-)

And the truth shall set you free:)

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Thanks, got distracted into other subjects after a month of vacationing in Italy with friends and family. 

Again, the SailGP channels running on Instagram are excellent, it’s definitely the hottest sailing circuit to follow for the time being - everything about that setup rocks.

Glad you were having fun! All a bit quiet on the AC front until the summer, I think.  

9 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

Robertson has been a top performer on various international one-design circuits but most of the time has been been below the radar of the big media outlets.  A good performance in Sydney will boost his standing with the home town crowd.

It is a good opportunity for him and He’s the only kiwi (and a really good guy to sail with) so “go team China!”. 

Why can't the British get their flag right side up?

The French and the Aussies get it right. The yanks get it right. 

F50 FRA AUS.png

F50 GBR.jpg

F50 USA.jpg

Well , it could just be back to front rather than upside down... but it is a bit more subtle than the other flags. 

US tape delay coverage Saturday and Sunday 

16 Feb 10-11 am eastern

17 Feb 10-11am eastern

On CBSSN I think they bumped the Cabo ESS retrospective. It is a show called Sailing but details say SailGP Sydney part 1 and 2

Must edit to just races. 

Emirates Team New Zealand plans to premiere a video.
15 hrs · 

Gather around for the untold story of the birth of foiling in the America’s Cup and Grand Prix sailing.

As quiet as it seems from all the America’s Cup teams, you can rest assured there are plenty of innovative ideas being tested within design offices around the world. Ideas that could be the next quantum leap forward in technology on or off the water.

This is the story of one such idea, when at this stage of the campaign prior to the 2013 America’s Cup, we were just doing a little thing, like inventing foiling in Grand Prix sailing. #Sailing #Foiling #AmericasCup

52700680_406875693431880_536817126124552

"we were just doing a little thing, like inventing foiling in Grand Prix sailing."

So insecure and thin skinned. 

33 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

"we were just doing a little thing, like inventing foiling in Grand Prix sailing."

Yes you are insecure and thin skinned, especially if you're going to insult them for telling the truth.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Taking a cue from previous poster, see ya Iggy...last time I quote you.

Love that your profile rates you a "suck-up"

Great news for SailGP today as I hinted in post 2769 and 2772 (perhaps a bit too crypic) but either way good news for the event 

App Time or Website Time.jpg

3 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Great news for SailGP today as I hinted in post 2769 and 2772 (perhaps a bit too crypic) but either way good news for the event 

App Time or Website Time.jpg

Sorry what's the great news? That the website is one hour behind the mobile app?

Funny that,  the timer in the app last night was off by two hours when I set the alarm yesterday evening - woke up at 4am local to discover the racing wasn't till 6am!

Well there's a good night's rest ruined...