Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

8 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The ESS is dead. Most of the Teams will sail the GC32 Tour this year.

Its all Maltas fault!

11 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

LOL,

That Article is from March 27th, almost 2 months ago. That Series is DEAD. They're losing Key Teams like Oman Air & Alinghi BUT of course you know everything better. ESS have no Sponsor. OC Sport is OUT.

OC owns it. Are they selling it or just letting it die?

2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The ESS is dead. Most of the Teams will sail the GC32 Tour this year.

ESS, GC32, Whitbread Round The World Race, Volvo Ocean Race, The Ocean Race. Its evolution.

OMG could not resist:

AC50, F50. It's evolution.

6 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

OMG could not resist:

When something "Evolves" it is generally supposed to get better, as the GC32 class has, it has expanded its fleet to ten teams and is also looking at expanding outside of its European circuit. The F50 is a de-evolution of the AC50, meaning it has devolved (gone backwards) instead of evolved.

44 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Trying to find someone who buys it.

I got 50 bucks

2 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I got 50 bucks

You're too generous.

Well, I actually loved the EXSS; a bit sad that it obviously ends this way. But that's how things go.

1 minute ago, Rennmaus said:

You're too generous.

Well, I actually loved the EXSS; a bit sad that it obviously ends this way. But that's how things go.

Back in the day, when there were 12 big fuckoff cats with no forward buoyancy, crewed by the best high speed sailors of their generation, crashing and smashing their way around big cityfronts...it was the tits.  I miss it too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

OMG could not resist:

AC50 (except the ETNZ  one aka greatest 50 ft cat that ever was or will be), F50.  It's evolution.

Fixed it for NZ correctness.  ;)

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

AC50 (except the ETNZ  one aka greatest 50 ft cat that ever was or will be), F50.  It's De-evolution.

Fixed it for correctness.  ;)

^will spare thread a he said she said but really...

;)

Posted (edited)

Tip & Shaft reports that Deloitte was hired to estimate SailGP spectators in SF and came up with 20,000 over the 2 days. That includes  but presumably not limited to paid grandstand and spectator boats as well as Oracle guests. 

Wonderhow much Deloitte charged, heck, I will find a guy with a drone and do it for less. If they also toss in a spiffy $700 jacket and guest ride on the F50. Gotta die somehow 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowd_counting

If the spectator venue cost $1m in fees, rent, contractors, caterers, permits (random pick but ought to be ok within factor of 2-3) that is $50 per head.  

Can't get linky to story for you to clicky for details but will cut and paste when I find a computer. 

Edit:  

Clipped section can't do full thing sorry

SAIL GP: TWO DOWN AND WHAT WE KNOW?

20,000 spectators in San Francisco. If there was no official SailGP village in Sydney because of the lack of time to organize it San Francisco was on the mark with a village open to the public and an 800-seat paying stand placed along a dock in front of which passed the F50. Deloitte were charged with making a precise spectator count and reckoned there were 20,000 spectators over the two days of racing. There were 563 (paying) spectator boats officially registered with the organizer representing 4 513 people. 1 486 tickets were sold for the stands were sold and 600 guests (partners) attended the VIP area called the "Adrenaline Lounge", a model to be replicated in Europe, Cowes (10-11 August) and Marseille (20-22 September).

Edited by NeedAClew
add clip

On 5/9/2019 at 5:58 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

OC owns it. Are they selling it or just letting it die?

They just shut it down, along with the whole UK office, quite quietly at the end of last year. They keep claiming it still exists, but that is because they have paid to trade mark the brand, there is nothing happening of any substance.

Boats and all spare parts are for sale. All teams apart from SAP have moved across to the Racing Tour. 

On 5/9/2019 at 1:17 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

Back in the day, when there were 12 big fuckoff cats with no forward buoyancy, crewed by the best high speed sailors of their generation, crashing and smashing their way around big cityfronts...it was the tits.  I miss it too.

Well I think the foiling A-Class has become a pretty cool fuckoff machine but what’s really cool is we hardly ever nose dive anymore, we just haul ASS. When it get’s really windy, you just put a lot of negative AOA in the rudders and you can have a pretty safe and still very fast ride. Good for us mere mortals (especially when you are 60 years old!).

Love SailGP, thanks Larry and Russell.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Potter said:

They just shut it down, along with the whole UK office, quite quietly at the end of last year. They keep claiming it still exists, but that is because they have paid to trade mark the brand, there is nothing happening of any substance.

Boats and all spare parts are for sale. All teams apart from SAP have moved across to the Racing Tour. 

Nothing like a bit of accuracy to settle a discussion eh Potter!

Cheers

SS

28 minutes ago, AClass USA 230 said:

Well I think the foiling A-Class has become a pretty cool fuckoff machine but what’s really cool is we hardly ever nose dive anymore, we just haul ASS. When it get’s really windy, you just put a lot of negative AOA in the rudders and you can have a pretty safe and still very fast ride. Good for us mere mortals (especially when you are 60 years old!).

Love SailGP, thanks Larry and Russell.

Appears I have run out of likes so this will have to do

+1

SS

4 hours ago, Potter said:

Thanks for clarifying:) I suspected it:D

BTW, I was right then when I said that the ESS is DEAD.

So the GC 32 Series along with SailGP becomes the primary foiling Series.

Going to be interesting if Larry & Russell can lure some of the existing GC 32 Teams over to SailGP for 2020 and beyond.

3 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Going to be interesting if Larry & Russell can lure some of the existing GC 32 Teams over to SailGP for 2020 and beyond.

Uncle Ernie?

Officially up on the Youtube channel now

There are definitely some pretty impressive moments with 6 of these things close together.

Hopefully other venues will have decent courses/conditions too.

They need to either sort their shit out with the post-race interview audio or outright give up on it.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Nothing like a bit of accuracy to settle a discussion eh Potter!

Cheers

SS

Shang, nobody seems to have taken any notice of your longish front page article "What's the point?", or probably nobody goes there at all.

Anyway, I landed over there by accident and wondered what the point was, began reading, and soon realised it was you, again... Your first two paragraphs were:

I was reading in the forums criticizing our own Mr Clean for comments he made, quite valid ones in my view, and it got me to thinking where we are as a sport with regard to the coverage coming off race courses and that for many it is not happening quickly enough. I believe we are therefore in danger of throwing the baby out with the bath water. His comments, and seemingly everybody else’s can be found in the monstrous Larry’s AC50 Circus thread in our America’s Cup Anarchy forum…

Clean is of course 100% correct that making a series that we sailors want to watch is not the point of SailGP (or any of the higher end sponsored events like VOR or ESS) any more than the point of the Superbowl in the NFL to appeal to American Football players or the soccer World Cup to appeal and be watched by people that play soccer. 

Mmmmm, I did actually read it till the end, but my reading comprehension is rather minimal, and I am still wondering "What was your point?".

https://sailinganarchy.com/2019/05/12/whats-the-point/

Cheers

FB

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Shang, nobody seems to have taken any notice of your longish front page article "What's the point?", or probably nobody goes there at all.

Anyway, I landed over there by accident and wondered what the point was, began reading, and soon realised it was you, again... Your first two paragraphs were:

I was reading in the forums criticizing our own Mr Clean for comments he made, quite valid ones in my view, and it got me to thinking where we are as a sport with regard to the coverage coming off race courses and that for many it is not happening quickly enough. I believe we are therefore in danger of throwing the baby out with the bath water. His comments, and seemingly everybody else’s can be found in the monstrous Larry’s AC50 Circus thread in our America’s Cup Anarchy forum…

Clean is of course 100% correct that making a series that we sailors want to watch is not the point of SailGP (or any of the higher end sponsored events like VOR or ESS) any more than the point of the Superbowl in the NFL to appeal to American Football players or the soccer World Cup to appeal and be watched by people that play soccer. 

Mmmmm, I did actually read it till the end, but my reading comprehension is rather minimal, and I am still wondering "What was your point?".

https://sailinganarchy.com/2019/05/12/whats-the-point/

Cheers

FB

The point Fiji, which the Ed clearly saw is that although SailGP produces 37 pages of Forum chatter, SailGP and other high profile sailing events need to appeal to the non sailor , not the sailor as if they don't broaden their appeal they will die through lack of sponsorship. 

On 4/13/2019 at 10:13 AM, NeedAClew said:

Anybody seen any off-season training boats being worked on?  Warkworth?  San Francisco? Those leftover 45s must be somewhere.

Chopped up and discarded.  Here's an Artemis 45 chopped up and stashed near the entrance to the man-made island in Dockyard in Bermuda:

ArtemisDiscard.jpg

18 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

The point Fiji, which the Ed clearly saw is that although SailGP produces 37 pages of Forum chatter, SailGP and other high profile sailing events need to appeal to the non sailor , not the sailor as if they don't broaden their appeal they will die through lack of sponsorship. 

And close quarter racing on foils is probably the best chance to get the non-sailing public engaged in televised sailing. It is spectacular and exciting if the venue can produce at least 8-10 knots of steady wind. Not what the traditional yachties want to hear. I'm still amused by the comments made by the Challenger of Record and the New York Yacht Club after the Bermuda AC concluded that they were returning the AC to its "traditional" roots and then I look at American Magic. Yea right...…….

2 minutes ago, AClass USA 230 said:

And close quarter racing on foils is probably the best chance to get the non-sailing public engaged in televised sailing. It is spectacular and exciting if the venue can produce at least 8-10 knots of steady wind. Not what the traditional yachties want to hear. I'm still amused by the comments made by the Challenger of Record and the New York Yacht Club after the Bermuda AC concluded that they were returning the AC to its "traditional" roots and then I look at American Magic. Yea right...…….

At least you seem to get it AClass. Televised sailing events aimed at just the sailor are doomed to fail.

29 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

We're sailors. We are having the discussion about the sailing in the series, as well as the meta-discussion of how can this become more popular and therefore sustainable. I think most folks are ok with the duality. And Mr Clean's posts are sometimes enlightening and on point, and sometimes pretty BS, and he gets called on those. So what's your point? 

The fact is that the sustainability meta-discussion is happening here. But that's not front-page news. A strawman story -- oh what scandal and shame sailors refuse to frankly discuss broadening the appeal of SailGP -- is clickbait, but essentially false. 

The good news is -- SailGP has clearly had those discussions and decision in their early planning, and is executing. Outcomes might be good or bad (we don't know their constraints!), but they are working on it. Everything else is chatter. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Execution is where it's at, SailGP is doing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hoom said:

There are definitely some pretty impressive moments with 6 of these things close together.

They need to either sort their shit out with the post-race interview audio or outright give up on it.

They edited the Commercials & Pre-Race Coverage out. Very pleasing!

45 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

At least you seem to get it AClass. Televised sailing events aimed at just the sailor are doomed to fail.

Yes, A Class & You are getting it :) These Events need to aim at the non-Sailing Fans. That's why AC 34 in San Francisco was so successful at:)

1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

Aha, the Ed gets it, now I get it too, ROFLMAO

BTW, SailGP is hardly a high profile event yet, and they already have one very big sponsor, Oracle & Co.

And Oracle, Larry, Wussell and Rolex don't give a fuck about common non-sailors, not one iota. Ego (owning a GP and all the teams), pr/business relations, and the shit rich, is what it is all about, believe me.

• Like 1

A cloud customer, corporate hospitality for 600 vip partners, product placement, probably not a bad deal for Big O.

At least we have the Caption Contest over in SA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

BTW, SailGP is hardly a high profile event yet, and they already have one very big sponsor, Oracle & Co.

And Oracle, Larry, Wussell and Rolex don't give a fuck about common non-sailors, not one iota. Ego (owning a GP and all the teams), pr/business relations, and the shit rich, is what it is all about, believe me.

I am not, and have never been an Oracle Team USA fan....  However:

If you talk to the folks I speak with at Oracle they would point out all the ways you are wrong about them not wanting sailing to be for the masses. They could fuck off with their multi time NBA Champions sponsorship and all the Tennis promotion and advocacy  that Mark Hurd drives around the world, but Oracle/Larry (who started sailing in a Ericson 35) still dump fuck tons of cash into sailing and get nothing but shit for it with the F50.  I know that for a fact. I am not an Oracle apologist, but who in history has ever taken the cup/cup sailing on a global tour as much as Larry (and a bunch on his own dime as well as corporate money as i have been told). The Newport and NYC shows were just that , but the crowds were huge.... Lots of average Joes at those venues. The day we raced 20 F18s as the morning warmup at Newport there were reportedly 32,000 on the shore, said to be 60,000+ people on the shore watching over Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

3 hours ago, AClass USA 230 said:

I'm not sure about that actually.  I suspect fleet racing is outright confusing to the non-sailor.  Match racing is much easier to understand.  You need to know a lot about sailing to enjoy and comprehend a fleet race, let alone a regatta.

I also think that ocean racing (Sydney Hobart/Ocean Race) is important.   The concept is straight forward, there's some romance to the idea, and it stays in the news for days and months.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, DHFiend said:

I am not, and have never been an Oracle Team USA fan....  However:

If you talk to the folks I speak with at Oracle they would point out all the ways you are wrong about them not wanting sailing to be for the masses. They could fuck off with their multi time NBA Champions sponsorship and all the Tennis promotion and advocacy  that Mark Hurd drives around the world, but Oracle/Larry (who started sailing in a Ericson 35) still dump fuck tons of cash into sailing and get nothing but shit for it with the F50.  

LE supposedly started in a Lido 14 but that might just have sounded better.  He does dump tons of cash into sailing and boats but I am sure he finds utility in it or he'd reallocate. 

Actually wasn't it Evil Ernie who started expanding the AC "global tour" with the Acts? EB is still racing GC32s.  

33 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

LE supposedly started in a Lido 14 but that might just have sounded better.  He does dump tons of cash into sailing and boats but I am sure he finds utility in it or he'd reallocate. 

Actually wasn't it Evil Ernie who started expanding the AC "global tour" with the Acts? EB is still racing GC32s.  

Correct - but the AC WCS (or whatever it was called) was scheduled with more cities and annual I thought.  While the IACC events like Moet Cup and ACTs , which i thought were mostly in Spain anyway, they were never done in a global construct that could create a year round sporting cycle to bridge the AC outside of Europe. 

Capture.PNG

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Ernie and Larry dreamed this up together. 

5 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Oracle are not a real sponsor.  Larry pays for it out of his own pocket. 

And I don't think they give one iota for pr/business relations and certainly not for randoms.  SailGP is all about Larry's love for sailing, Russell's brilliance at dreaming up ways to spend Larry's money, and Larry's Post-Bermuda ego.  Not necessarily in that order.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

And I don't think they give one iota for pr/business relations and certainly not for randoms.  SailGP is all about Larry's love for sailing, Russell's brilliance at dreaming up ways to spend Larry's money, and Larry's Post-Bermuda ego.  Not necessarily in that order.

100%

Not a real sponsor.  Well it IS self dealing of a sort. Oracle gets their name on the boats, powered by Oracle Cloud on the app and TV and in some press, tweets and FBs about it and had 600 people in the Corp hospitality area per the Deloitte numbers noted above. So if the corporation  did not pay a dime for any of that, cool. I bet they did. LE may own a third of the company but not sure he paid for all that himself. They are hungry for cloud customers so SGP might have gotten free cloud credits, lol.

Addendum: will look for "transaction with related persons" part of Oracle annual shareholder meeting proxy statement, lol.

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

^Nice picture!

They were impressive to watch banging off the St Francis breakwall, tack after tack. I Think it was Bertarelli that said “ I have never called for sea room in a Match race, that was crazy!”.. it was Owner Driver for 50% of the races which was cool. Larry v. Ernesto.

Stadium signings, sailing, tennis and smaller things like the Oracle sponsored stunt pilots all come from the same marketing and PR budgets... The CMO was on the powerboat during the F50 event with Ellison. What shows how serious he is about the sport is when you enter Building 500 it is all sailing, and then you sit in the big Ellison/Hurd conf room , it is nice , the tip of Dogzilla (display) mast is right outside the window....

9 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Televised sailing events aimed at just the sailor are doomed to fail.

I read your article and its bollocks.

Who the fuck is gonna watch sailing events that even sailors don't want to watch?

All those other sports when you watch them they're going to have a bunch of commentators who were top end competitors and they don't bother to baby talk like that you need to pass the ball backwards in Rugby while you're watching the Rugby World Cup.

Most of those viewers may not play actively now but a large number of them will have done as kids.

Sailing event after sailing event falls for that bullshit argument that you need to attract non-sailors, event after event has commentators boringly repeating the same incredibly basic aspects of sailing and never getting into the interesting technical details and event after event that non-sailor audience completely fails to eventuate while people who know about sailing are left bitter at the shitty coverage.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

You are wrong, Oracle is definitely a real sponsor, I read it on the internet!

Are there any sponsors involved?

Yes. British luxury car brand Land Rover, French fashion house and luxury retailer Louis Vuitton, and American global computer technology company Oracle Corporation, are all sponsor partners of SailGP.

https://yachtracing.life/what-is-sailgp/

And did you read NeedAClew's post (#3631 & 3640)?  Being Spinbot's sister-in-law, she must be well informed, and always right.

We do entirely agree on the ego trip, for both Larry and Wussell, and their love of sailing and money.  For both of them ego first, they already have plenty of money, and the love of sailing we all share.

Edited by Fiji Bitter
Post #
  • Like 1

^if people think my Sponsor spin is positive I need to write better thanks for the critique

12 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Clueless and baseless interpretations Bitter Fiji, you are not even able to follow your own nonsensical logic.

Clueless because RC had this project for a long time, much before working for LE.

Nonsensical because you say don't give a shit about the public and later you tell us they have sponsors who care about the public, the non-sailors.

Let's go back to the basics, as they are not in the AC now they are free to shape their project which is supposed to be self sustained, therefore needs sponsors and public.

Is he going to succeed where everyone failed with the sailing sport ? Well, as a sailor I hope so.

Do they have ego ? Yes

Are they going to use it for their PR ? Yes.

Stupid comments indeed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

^if people think my Sponsor spin is positive I need to write better thanks for the critique

Sorry Needy, I was merely trying to mistify Clean a bit, and did not mean to infer that you were spinning at all. To the contrary, we were very much on the same page actually.

You seem to have your own independent view on the AC, without any rancor. Quite refreshing in the AC forums really, please carry on as usual.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

GC32 Tour announced that Ainslie/Ineos and China SailGP are joining the circuit this year.  So no more AC45f practice for China, I guess. The racing will likely be better experience.

http://www.gc32racingtour.com/british-americas-cup-chinese-sailgp-teams-join-2019-gc32-racing-tour/

Line Up for Ineos Rebels UK

Sir Ben Ainslie

Giles Scott

Joey Newton

Iain Jensen

Oli Greber

Ben Cornish

They calling themselves Rebels but 4 of the 6 Members are Veterans.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:08 PM, hoom said:

I only last night got around to watching this. And I have to say: it's fun to watch. 

Sure, the commentary still leaves something to be desired even though vastly improved over Bermuda. They still miss too many things as they happen like failing to point out a shift until quite a while after it has become obvious. And sure the interview fails are annoying. Still, vastly improved presentation even though they have three times as many boats to cover at a time. 

Overall, really great entertainment. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Speaking of the rich, there is now a superyacht program for SailGP.  Posting this is not an endorsement. ;)

https://www.bwayachting.com/news/

Now they are getting the target market sorted out. It's always a Bugger to get amongst the unwashed masses swinging on anchor with yur super yacht, especially if they had the audacity to anchor first. 

On 5/15/2019 at 2:21 AM, mcexley001 said:

Chopped up and discarded.  Here's an Artemis 45 chopped up and stashed near the entrance to the man-made island in Dockyard in Bermuda:

The front fell off.

1 hour ago, barfy said:

Now they are getting the target market sorted out. It's always a Bugger to get amongst the unwashed masses swinging on anchor with yur super yacht, especially if they had the audacity to anchor first. 

No worries Barf, according to Tornado-Rat all superyachts will have free access for the public, the non-sailors and unwashed hobo's, their real target market. Those who dare turning up will also be presented with a Rolex and a Louis Vuitton bag. 

After all, Larry and Wussell want to spread the love, get it?

3 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

No worries Barf, according to Tornado-Rat all superyachts will have free access for the public, the non-sailors and unwashed hobo's, their real target market. Those who dare turning up will also be presented with a Rolex and a Louis Vuitton bag. 

After all, Larry and Wussell want to spread the love, get it?

Some more nonsense Bitter fiji.

So your logic is that super yachts means that they don't want to get the general public ? That they invested in virtual races and TV to please happy fews ? That Larry got rich by spending money to please rich buddies? That Russell just want to please the ultrarich ?

You have the right to hate them but don't take them for the idiot your are.

^ And you must be awfully naive not to know that pleasing rich buddies (doing business on the weekend), is a good way to get rich/stay rich in 'certain places' - "lower my taxes, kill the unions, bail me out, place tariffs on my competition, change the law, 'incentivise' my business, drop the charges........."

• Like 2

On 5/13/2019 at 8:49 PM, blunderfull said:

Uncle Ernie?

They looked at it, as I understand Russell's involvement killed any chance of them joining. 

22 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

If you think Larry is organizing SailGP to please friends and get richer you are completely delusional mate.

Well he’s definitely not doing it for charity or the good of sailing   :lol:

who's the delusional one here? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mad said:

Well he’s definitely not doing it for charity or the good of sailing   :lol:

who's the delusional one here? 

You must be mad to write I said he was Saint Larry the benevolant. :lol:

But, on the other hand, if you think organising sailing event is a way to get rich, why don't you organize one yourself ? :rolleyes:

41 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

You must be mad to write I said he was Saint Larry the benevolant. :lol:

But, on the other hand, if you think organising sailing event is a way to get rich, why don't you organize one yourself ? :rolleyes:

I was actually referring to Russell, had I the financial resources of LE, I’m sure I wouldn’t care about the money either. 

25 minutes ago, mad said:

I was actually referring to Russell,

None of us can tell the real motivation of someone else, hpwever Russell had this vision for a long time, to create a self sustained sailing event with fast cats. Whether we like him, and Larry or not, whether some see that as a competitive event to the AC or not, as a sailor I hope sailing will one day be a profitable sport for sponsors, which remains to be seen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Russell had this vision for a long time, to create a self sustained sailing event

You do mean full time gig?

11 minutes ago, barfy said:

You do mean full time gig?

Didn’t that start when he joined Larry??

I don’t blame him, I hope he’s made a shitload of money from it all. 

26 minutes ago, mad said:

Didn’t that start when he joined Larry??

I don’t blame him, I hope he’s made a shitload of money from it all. 

Totally. Just don't tell me he is doing it all for his vision. I know you didn't, but I've heard it otherwise. And it must be nice to have a big$$$ gig doing what you enjoy, and making sure you'll do the same next year.

58 minutes ago, barfy said:

Totally. Just don't tell me he is doing it all for his vision. I know you didn't, but I've heard it otherwise. And it must be nice to have a big$$$ gig doing what you enjoy, and making sure you'll do the same next year.

It’$ all in the vi$ion. Fun boats, his own circuit and a private backer. Oh, yes and enough to happily retire on years ago. 

48 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

RC was listed on the NZ Rich List in 2017 with a net worth of $55m even if that is $NZ that is not just scraping by.  

https://www.mysailing.com.au/america-s-cup/there-s-money-in-sailing-sir-russell-coutts-named-on-nz-s-rich-list

A tiny fraction of Michael Jordan fortune worth 1,5 Billion, and most basket players. Only a wide public can bring that, what is going make sailing attract it, the AC or SailGP ?

https://wealthygorilla.com/richest-nba-players-world/

21 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

A tiny fraction of Michael Jordan fortune worth 1,5 Billion, and most basket players. Only a wide public can bring that, what is going make sailing attract it, the AC or SailGP ?

Neither...... The only way the level of income that your top sportsman in other sports can be paid is if the audience watching that sport is huge enough for a combination of the ticket, tv rights, advertising, private/corporate sponsorship and any other income streams that can be generated to cover those salaries. I've no idea what the final viewing figures for any sailing event have been, but I'd lay good money that the top rated single event in sailing has lower viewing figures than your average weekly match in the top levels of the high paying sports like basketball, American football, Baseball, soccer etc. 

Let's face it, even to those who love and really understand the technicalities of yacht racing, watching it is pretty dull. I say that as someone who has watched pretty much every AC race either on the tv or the water since Fremantle. There is no way no matter how hard people try and polish it the turd that is yacht racing can be turned into a wonderful viewing experience that will draw the big numbers required to pay the crews the sort of money sportsman in other sports can command.

Sure there's a few who've made good money out of their involvement, but at any one time I doubt there's more than a dozen or so making in a year what the likes of the top athletes in say soccer earn in a month.

Personally I find the dumbing down of the commentries of most events bloody annoying and a total waste of time.......no-ones listening.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Woolfy said:

Neither...... The only way the level of income that your top sportsman in other sports can be paid is if the audience watching that sport is huge enough for a combination of the ticket, tv rights, advertising, private/corporate sponsorship and any other income streams that can be generated to cover those salaries. I've no idea what the final viewing figures for any sailing event have been, but I'd lay good money that the top rated single event in sailing has lower viewing figures than your average weekly match in the top levels of the high paying sports like basketball, American football, Baseball, soccer etc. 

Let's face it, even to those who love and really understand the technicalities of yacht racing, watching it is pretty dull. I say that as someone who has watched pretty much every AC race either on the tv or the water since Fremantle. There is no way no matter how hard people try and polish it the turd that is yacht racing can be turned into a wonderful viewing experience that will draw the big numbers required to pay the crews the sort of money sportsman in other sports can command.

Sure there's a few who've made good money out of their involvement, but at any one time I doubt there's more than a dozen or so making in a year what the likes of the top athletes in say soccer earn in a month.

Personally I find the dumbing down of the commentries of most events bloody annoying and a total waste of time.......no-ones listening.

Agree, but it was far better in the last two ACs then before. Technology helped. Now you actually know who is leading a race in the middle of a leg.

5 hours ago, Woolfy said:

You're completely wrong here. The AC LiveLine Graphics we saw first in AC 34, then in AC 35 and now in SailGP were pretty revulutionary when they came along and made communicating Sailing much easier. I wish it would have been done earlier.

Huge credit to Stan Honey and his Team. Honey put the bar for TV Coverage pretty high with that.

Will the folks who run the TV Coverage for AC 36 come up with something similar? I doubt it.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, Woolfy said:

This was true before, when watching the grass grow at least you could understant what happened.

The bet from Larrry, Russell, and probably Ernie if Russell was not there, is to make it interesting with:

- Speed and foiling

- Live line graphics for those who don't understand. And they don't want comments for sailors, they target a broad audience

- TV coverage.

The next AC will follow on pretty much the same pattern because it's the only way to TRY to make it profitable.

So, we will have two events with two different boats, let's hope that at least one of it will succeed to attract the public, which is far from sure. SailGP has the advantage of experience and learning curve, the AC has the advantage of being the AC. We now have to watch who will organize the more successful event with the best boat.

For the players, eg NBA, a lot of income  comes from corporate sponsorship deals. Nike paid Rory McIlroy hundreds of millions for GOLF for gods sake.  The idea is ordinary golfers and ordinary fans go get inspired to buy Nike logo shoes, headbands, clubs, shirts, etc.  Seems to work. Mr Clew has Tiger Woods polos and does not play golf.

RC is doing very well on salary/bonus and I think I recall a watch deal?  But as of yet Mr Clew is unsure what kind of undies, t shirts, compression shorts, etc. RC and "the boys" wear so cannot go get him some for his birthday. The SailGP items lack enough cachet yet for me to pay $140 for a hoodie or $30-$60 for a cap. Can buy a lot of Mt. Gay for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

We now have to watch who will organize the more successful event with the best boat.

That might be 2 different things. For the broadest audience, best event to watch may not have the fastest boat, but be more watchable and exciting and suspenseful and compelling. 

24 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

For the players, eg NBA, a lot of income  comes from corporate sponsorship deals. Nike paid Rory McIlroy hundreds of millions for GOLF for gods sake.  The idea is ordinary golfers and ordinary fans go get inspired to buy Nike logo shoes, headbands, clubs, shirts, etc.  Seems to work. Mr Clew has Tiger Woods polos and does not play golf.

RC is doing very well on salary/bonus and I think I recall a watch deal?  But as of yet Mr Clew is unsure what kind of undies, t shirts, compression shorts, etc. RC and "the boys" wear so cannot go get him some for his birthday. The SailGP items lack enough cachet yet for me to pay $140 for a hoodie or $30-$60 for a cap. Can buy a lot of Mt. Gay for that.

Stick with the special edition Mt Gay, much better than walking around as an unpaid billboard. 

2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

This was true before, when watching the grass grow at least you could understant what happened.

The bet from Larrry, Russell, and probably Ernie if Russell was not there, is to make it interesting with:

- Speed and foiling

- Live line graphics for those who don't understand. And they don't want comments for sailors, they target a broad audience

- TV coverage.

The next AC will follow on pretty much the same pattern because it's the only way to TRY to make it profitable.

So, we will have two events with two different boats, let's hope that at least one of it will succeed to attract the public, which is far from sure. SailGP has the advantage of experience and learning curve, the AC has the advantage of being the AC. We now have to watch who will organize the more successful event with the best boat.

Right on cue T-C,

CoR Skipper Max Sirena says "We need to produce a good TV Production"

Looks like Luna Rossa is more concerned with TV Coverage then actually getting into the AC Match, hahaha

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12153147

And I agree that Sailing was very difficult to communicate without AC LiveLine! People who are watching and are not Die-Hard Sailing Fans struggled when they saw boats going into different Directions. These 100 yard lines were and still are fabulous.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

SailGP will be the only Foiling Series for the forseeable Future to be broadcasted on TV. The GC32 Tour doesn't have any TV Arrangements.

I hope we have two with the AC. However we have rumors that the mule has to be tracted to start foiling, mini frack had safety buoyancy around, the italians tell that the boat will be very difficult. An AC75 crash at 40 kts could be pretty devastating.

Anyway, very anxious to see one sailing.

Actually the "revolution" in TV coverage for sailing happened in 1992 when Animation Research developed and delivered Virtual Eye - the first live GPS + 3d visualisation tech for the America's Cup - AR went on to deliver this tech across the global sporting world, and have continued with AC since then too. Live-line is just another version of this tech, nothing wrong with it, but only revolutionary to those ignorant of just about any smidge of AC history.

https://virtualeye.tv/the-sports/virtual-eye-sailing/america-s-cup

That was over quarter of a century ago, but its no surprise the turds don't know this as they were probably still yet to be accidentally conceived down a side alley in Frankfurt port. 

Thus the suggestion that AC37 coverage won't be any good is about as dumb and clueless as you can get... again no surprises there...

ignorance and malice make for some laughable mistakes

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

Actually the "revolution" in TV coverage for sailing happened in 1992 when Animation Research developed and delivered Virtual Eye - the first live GPS + 3d visualisation (...)

Ohhh, thank you! I already tried to explain ages ago (can't find the post right now) that VE incl. the lines that were drawn on the water virtually during e.g. AC32 were enough to explain the ongoings to the spectators. But apparently everything needs to be super hitech, bling-bling and "awesome" to be worth anything. TBH, old-school can even be better, because it brings the info across more to the point without all the unnecessary embellishment that only deflects from the real content. O.k., if there's no real content, then appearance becomes the focal point...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

Actually the "revolution" in TV coverage for sailing happened in 1992 when Animation Research developed and delivered Virtual Eye - the first live GPS + 3d visualisation tech for the America's Cup - AR went on to deliver this tech across the global sporting world, and have continued with AC since then too. Live-line is just another version of this tech, nothing wrong with it, but only revolutionary to those ignorant of just about any smidge of AC history.

https://virtualeye.tv/the-sports/virtual-eye-sailing/america-s-cup

That was over quarter of a century ago, but its no surprise the turds don't know this as they were probably still yet to be accidentally conceived down a side alley in Frankfurt port. 

Thus the suggestion that AC37 coverage won't be any good is about as dumb and clueless as you can get... again no surprises there...

ignorance and malice make for some laughable mistakes

No, it isn't. The 1st Time LiveLine was used was in American Football & Nascar. But the Difference is that those two Sports had fixed Cameras.

AC 34 for the 1st Time used it from a Moving Platform, the Helicopter. That's incredible difficult to do.

VirtualEye or Virtual Spectator was used from a black room on land.

Praise Allah the merciful that the fucking arms passed the tests. I can't take much more of this arguing about lines on a fucking tv screen and who has better lines that were more revolutionary than yours. So the boats are presumably ready and they just have to bolt the shit on and go? Are we about a month out from some launches?