Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

Recommended Posts

IIRC ETNZ won the one where they dragged the marker, too. 

SGP published the course in the website. Can't  cut and paste on this device, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the wind wrap around and up the Hudson? So many skyscrapers on both sides.

In other news, LE seems to be having some more corporate excitement this month, my Redwood City contacts say he is no longer up to changing things up much there. Just rumor, no linky. Dunno if they are right. Wonder if he goes to NYC to see the drift match?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something popped up in my news feed so I scrounged around and found this.

https://www.sportcal.com/News/Search/126209

And this.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2019/06/03/People-and-Pop-Culture/Execs.aspx

 

Both are behind paywalls maybe someone can read them but apparently from the first sentences of each I glean that SailGP has hired Harvey Schiller as manager and Tim Godfrey ex  ITN TV guy as CMO (chief marketing off, I think).

Edit:

Found better story no paywall. Schiller is "adviser" in it 

https://www.sportindustry.biz/news/industry-shorts-sailgp-wolves-stevenage-fc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Found better story no paywall. Schiller is "adviser" in it 

https://www.sportindustry.biz/news/industry-shorts-sailgp-wolves-stevenage

The article describes Schiller's great career, but does not mention his brief tenure as "Commissioner" of ACEA.

My guess is that Coutts told him to dish the Auckland event, and that later Schiller was made the fall guy, as his signature was on the contract. It's now payback time for him not fighting his dismissal and keeping his mouth shut.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took them a while to get him on the payroll though. The TV guy seems to be experienced in signing up sponsors and such. Maybe the light is dawning that things are lagging a bit wrt "sustainability" and the commercial path toward future non LE franchise owners?  

Maybe RC read the forum threads and caption contest and realized the money is NOT escrowed for the next 3-4 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

The article describes Schiller's great career, but does not mention his brief tenure as "Commissioner" of ACEA.

My guess is that Coutts told him to dish the Auckland event, and that later Schiller was made the fall guy, as his signature was on the contract. It's now payback time for him not fighting his dismissal and keeping his mouth shut.

 

Yup.

And someone wOke up one morning and       " hey wuss, we said give it a couple months and see how those numbers are going. wtf". "I gotta great idea boss, remember that commandant who did that good work for us last time"?

And he'll be a great guy to dump a half year before the end, he falls like a tree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another story about the new hires and the rapid growth and maturation of SailGP and how it is consumed internationally. Those are words in the article, not mine.

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/sailgp-brings-in-schiller-to-drive-future-development/

Apparently they realized whatever they were doing to monetize was not enough?

In other possibly related news, LE bent the knee to Microsoft and apparently hopes Azure becomes Oracle Cloud 3.0 so the database biz prospers.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-05/oracle-s-alliance-with-microsoft-halts-dead-end-cloud-strategy

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 12:56 AM, NeedAClew said:

Is rationing training time to level the field legit or  not?

Dunno about "legit", but it's dumb. It's just trying to drag everyone down to the same performance as the worst team. Why not have a handicap system with time penalties at the start? That would help all boats to keep improving without having one runaway winner in every race. It would also generate a lot more interest seeing the back–markers trying to run down the leaders.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RobG said:

Dunno about "legit", but it's dumb. It's just trying to drag everyone down to the same performance as the worst team. Why not have a handicap system with time penalties at the start? That would help all boats to keep improving without having one runaway winner in every race. It would also generate a lot more interest seeing the back–markers trying to run down the leaders.

Good call. I said from the get go that training was to be the Achilles heel of the show, I never figured on such a novel solution: give the really good players no training. Saves boat wear ( didn't really help NO), shorecrew time for launch, recovery,  boat sitting...and best of all leaves the guns really feeling good about the show. Genius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic should be struck from this forum. This is the SAAC not, some fanciful place where we celebrate billionaire sycophant wankers why cry like little bitches when they lose a few races and start something else up to satisfy some deep seated mommy issues.

The GP series is nothing short of lame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this topic. Clean stating his preference for Dick while the page loads cracks me up.

But OT, 12 days to NY. I guess everyone but oz and Nathan will be practicing soon. I hope they change up the controls again for added handicap. A quick look at the forecast shows it being very driftable.

Any SA spies on the ground?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@craigj posted the race course above, thanks again

 

The other map shows the "technical area" and "broadcast center" over in New Jersey.   I think it's a ferry ride away but have not done that.  So spies can cover two states lol.  I think it should be possible to see training there but I also think there are ferries and sightseeing boats to watch them dodge.  

 

NewYork_RaceMap_040619B.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is´nt that strip for "emergency plane landing" or had that been elsewhere?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailgp ANNOUNCES BERMUDA TOURISM AUTHORITY AS OFFICIAL EVENT PARTNER FOR FIRST NEW YORK SAILGP, JUNE 21-22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 JUNE 2019
With two weeks to go until the third event in the inaugural calendar, SailGP has announced an exciting collaboration with Bermuda Tourism Authority as an Official Event Partner for New York SailGP.

Taking place on June 21 and 22 from 5 to 6:30 p.m., SailGP will bring the world’s fastest sail racing to the East Coast, with Brookfield Place in Battery Park City serving as the hub of spectator activity. Six national teams will compete in New York City on the Hudson River, just off the Battery and north toward Rockefeller Park, with Ellis Island and Manhattan’s iconic skyline serving as a stunning backdrop.

“Aligning with SailGP in New York City makes perfect sense. Not only is the island just a 90-minute non-stop flight from New York City, but it is our top feeder market,” said Bermuda Tourism Authority CEO Kevin Dallas. “Bermuda has long been a top destination for sailing and luxury. As such, many of SailGP’s athletes are familiar with Bermuda’s turquoise waters. Ideal weather conditions, gorgeous waters, deep connections with the international sailing community and host to major sailing events go well together with island life.”

SailGP is equally committed to hosting world-class events as well as looking to build the next generation of sailing enthusiasts. During the two-day event, Bermuda will present an immersive activation space in the New York SailGP Race Village, which will be the best place for fans to experience the thrilling racing excitement onshore. Located at Brookfield Place in Battery Park City, this free-to-the-public event will be the hub for all activity over the race period, offering access to big screens showing live race coverage and commentary, concessions, the official merchandise shop, the awards ceremony, and other athlete appearances and activities.


For those who are watching from home, global race coverage spans 91 countries across five continents and is also available via the innovative SailGP APP and social channels. A full list of viewing options can be found here. Bermuda will be visible during the global broadcast via on-course brand signage, along with TV advertising spots. In addition, all six boats will feature Bermuda branding on both sides of the wing mast.

“We are excited to add the Bermuda Tourism Authority to our partner roster for New York SailGP,” said SailGP CEO Russell Coutts. “I’ve been going to Bermuda since 1989 and have gotten to know the island and the Bermuda spirit well. It’s a beautiful island, a brilliant sailing venue and a fabulous getaway for New Yorkers. New York is shaping up to be an event that fans won’t want to miss, whether they are enjoying it from the Race Village on the shore or from one of the ticketed on-water experiences. We are hoping that fans will turn out to support their home team and witness something that’s never been seen before in New York City.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Copied from the sail gp app, was big pain.

Anyway, pretty interesting to get another donation from bda, didn't see that coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What suckers. I am sure the on-water viewing vendors with the $$ tickets are excited to hear that RC and the morons think the free village is the best place to watch.   

Uh, product cannibalization is apparently not just an Oracle habit bwahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, barfy said:

said SailGP CEO Russell Coutts. “I’ve been going to Bermuda since 1989 and have gotten to know the island and the Bermuda spirit well. It’s a beautiful island, a brilliant sailing venue and a fabulous getaway for New Yorkers

Had to laugh at this line. No mention of an AC campaign, classic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

https://sailgp.com/news/bermuda-tourism-authority-event-partner/

The NATIONAL teams all have BERMUDA (a country) branding on both sides of the wings?  This kinda underscores what a farce the whole SGP premise is. It is the WWE with less colorful characters.

I am actually beginning to wonder whether RC actually ever understood the magnitude of what he was doing having the2017  "US" defense in Bermuda. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RC appears to have built the human centipede of sports sponsorship deals

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Good bit of fun. Had subtitle on, just about stacked laughing.

So two old videos released one week out.glad the new marketing dude is settling in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, barfy said:

 

Good bit of fun. Had subtitle on, just about stacked laughing.

So two old videos released one week out.glad the new marketing dude is settling in.

These guys don't even know their grinders' names...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's exactly what's required. Typical punters have no idea what's going on, so don't even try to tell the story. Leave that to the commentators on the day.

Promos just need lots of colour and movement. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The Extreme Sailing Series is now officially DEAD and I mentioned that months ago. Of Course our SA Clowns barfy, rh2600 and Forourselves wouldn't believe me

https://www.sail-world.com/news/218555/Closure-of-Extreme-Sailing-Series

Kind of an irony that I have been right on a lot of things these Days.

 

Like Bermuda being the site of AC racing, I've not yet seen any evidence that these series are anything but a "non-profit charity donation" to avoid some tax liabilities. Sure it gives some folks much needed jobs - but there never seems to be any market/intention to create profitable media coverage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 5:19 PM, NeedAClew said:

 

https://sailgp.com/news/bermuda-tourism-authority-event-partner/

The NATIONAL teams all have BERMUDA (a country) branding on both sides of the wings?  This kinda underscores what a farce the whole SGP premise is. It is the WWE with less colorful characters.

I am actually beginning to wonder whether RC actually ever understood the magnitude of what he was doing having the2017  "US" defense in Bermuda. 

I don't think the WWE, model quite fits here, to be honest I cannot understand why it's even still a thing, I thought "Pro Wrestling" was cool, when I was 14, now that I'm 59 the only way I could watch something like that would be to stream it backwards (& I would die laughing!)

A better comparison is Indy car VS F1, spec series with one, maybe 2 chassis designers & 2 engines VS build your own car & 4 engine suppliers to choose from (& way more when I started watching in the early 90s), to gauge my interest level the only Indy car I ever watch these days is the 500, mostly to see the big wrecks.

On the other hand I'll drag my ass out of bed at 5 AM on the weekends to watch F1 quali & the race.  

Unfortunately SGP is beginning to feel a bit "Indy car" to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, animeproblem said:

Unfortunately SGP is beginning to feel a bit "Indy car" to me. 

Hot damn, give russel a donut, his clever plan for world domination is well on the way.

No slight to you almond eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But still no news on the failgp app in 5 days. One week out. (Sound of crickets).

I really do hope they get some wind tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, animeproblem said:

I don't think the WWE, model quite fits here, to be honest I cannot understand why it's even still a thing, I thought "Pro Wrestling" was cool, when I was 14, now that I'm 59 the only way I could watch something like that would be to stream it backwards (& I would die laughing!)

A better comparison is Indy car VS F1, spec series with one, maybe 2 chassis designers & 2 engines VS build your own car & 4 engine suppliers to choose from (& way more when I started watching in the early 90s), to gauge my interest level the only Indy car I ever watch these days is the 500, mostly to see the big wrecks.

On the other hand I'll drag my ass out of bed at 5 AM on the weekends to watch F1 quali & the race.  

Unfortunately SGP is beginning to feel a bit "Indy car" to me. 

I am not a car fan, so defer to you and those who are. I also am amazed WWE still is making money but goes to show something.

8 hours ago, barfy said:

But still no news on the failgp app in 5 days. One week out. (Sound of crickets).

I really do hope they get some wind tho.

Yeah, they said there would be more info about the race village, etc. Nada.  And no cheery photos of boats and setup. Social media just replaying clips from other venues. 

Be nice if they got wind and sunny skies.  Anyone going?  Report, please!

In other news, LE is supposedly juggling childcare with 3 days a week in the office to resurrect Oracle Cloud.  Gee. Does this mean he has to watch on the app?  

https://www.theinformation.com/articles/larry-ellison-returns-to-war-and-diaper-changing

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 11:01 AM, Miffy said:

 

Like Bermuda being the site of AC racing, 

I'd be shocked if Russell didn't hook them up with the free (to him) advertising to make up for the ass raping they took last time around.  Maybe part of a settlement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I'd be shocked if Russell didn't hook them up with the free (to him) advertising to make up for the ass raping they took last time around.  Maybe part of a settlement?

There's little doubt that SailGP (like any property) would benefit greatly from an exciting case study to show to other potential sponsors. I'm sure you know precisely the type of show reel that would be cut. Exiting electronic music, sweeping cuts of boats splashing through the water, interstitials showing figures for audience reach, media value dollars etc, cut back to cheering crowds etc etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rich smiling beautiful people (well, rich = beautiful, right) carrying luxury goods walking on pink beaches toasting each other whilst wearing SailGP white caps...

Maybe can deepfake old AC video of Bermuda to splice in.

Question is the music. Has Bermuda gone all strobe cuts and whatever they play in SGP videos?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha, speaking of branding I laugh every time I open the failgp app and am presented with the splash screen of an f50 breaching skyward, we see that every time the turbo kicks in on these re imagined turbo charged boats reachIng for the first mark. Yeah right.

 

Screenshot_20190614-133136_SailGP.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sail gp work out

Posted 14 hours ago, 149 views. Great lead up building anticipation 6 days out.

Not being pessimistic, but is it even gonna happen? Anyone seen a base? Gotta be on the water in a couple days you would think, gotta be bolting those babies together right now. 

WTF over?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2019 at 6:37 PM, barfy said:

But still no news on the failgp app in 5 days. One week out. (Sound of crickets).

 

Well, the big news on the failgp app was:

WELCOME TO NEW YORK SAILGP

GO TO BERMUDA !   :rolleyes:

https://www.gotobermuda.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, barfy said:

Sail gp work out

Posted 14 hours ago, 149 views. Great lead up building anticipation 6 days out.

Not being pessimistic, but is it even gonna happen? Anyone seen a base? Gotta be on the water in a couple days you would think, gotta be bolting those babies together right now. 

WTF over?

Ok maybe someone can explain to me why team fitness attracts viewers to a regatta? I don't think they have cougar meet and greets  so no joy for me there. Maybe skimpier garb in the fitness videos and I could watch them with sound off...but that would not get me watching the races...?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Well, the big news on the failgp app was:

WELCOME TO NEW YORK SAILGP

GO TO BERMUDA !   :rolleyes:

https://www.gotobermuda.com/

 

Indeed!  But what happened to the link to LV?  Weren't there other sponsors? Rolex? Used to see those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Ok maybe someone can explain to me why team fitness attracts viewers to a regatta? I don't think they have cougar meet and greets  so no joy for me there. Maybe skimpier garb in the fitness videos and I could watch them with sound off...but that would not get me watching the races...?   

Bold: does it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

^good refinement of my question.

Answers?

Sounds like Larry has been doing some bold fitness too, resulting in 1 more viewer.

It also seems he has been doing some Michael Jackson skin grafts, before you know you girls will fall in love with him.  :wub:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Sounds like Larry has been doing some bold fitness too, resulting in 1 more viewer.

It also seems he has been doing some Michael Jackson skin grafts, before you know you girls will fall in love with him.  :wub:

 

I'd rather be chaste for the rest of my life

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Indeed!  But what happened to the link to LV?  Weren't there other sponsors? Rolex? Used to see those.

Even Rolex sponsorship/coverage for the classics have diminished the last few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well let's see if they are still on the sails in NY as in Sydney and SF.  Maybe the app users did not buy enough to keep the app link in there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WTF?!?!

Larry and Russell want to Pump You Up.

I thought the social media post was a one off but, NOOOO....it was just the tip 

This popped up in my news feed:

https://www.sail-world.com/news/218620/SailGP-workout-challenge-for-fitness-fans

 

"Just like our incredible championship, this workout is high drama, high energy and high performance," said SailGP CEO Sir Russell Coutts. "Our athletes are at the peak of their careers with extraordinary athleticism, talent and physical abilities. We've created this workout to allow people to push beyond their boundaries and to test themselves to see if they have the resilience and strength required to be a SailGP athlete."

The SailGP Workout is available in detail at the website for fans to challenge themselves at home.

THIS is free on YouTube for now, hah hah

Here is one, rest follow in autoplay

 

 

 

What is next?  Nutritional supplements?  Protein shakes?  Hair replacement clinics and fillers? Well, I might go for a SailGP discount on some Juvaderm.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Ok maybe someone can explain to me why team fitness attracts viewers to a regatta? I don't think they have cougar meet and greets  so no joy for me there. Maybe skimpier garb in the fitness videos and I could watch them with sound off...but that would not get me watching the races...?   

Have you tried suggesting this on the feedback page or twitter account? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, mad said:

Have you tried suggesting this on the feedback page or twitter account? :)

Excellent idea!  Actually, I think I'll suggest they add Speedo and spandex workout gear to the popular SGP clothing line. Wearing them in Season 2 workout videos would be good advertising.  Yum.

BTW do you think a reason there is no video of NY setup yet is they don't want to pay for new video?

Surely they have to practice by Wed at the latest?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

BTW do you think a reason there is no video of NY setup yet is they don't want to pay for new video?

Surely they have to practice by Wed at the latest?  

I know..I keep wondering WTF. recent management appointments, you would think there would be someone out there trying. The poor you tube ist keeps trying to drum up some content, but really..No publicity?

No anarchist has dropped by the base, no webcam coverage? 

I really feel like I should put the tin hat on, cause I'm wondering if the show is on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, barfy said:

I know..I keep wondering WTF. recent management appointments, you would think there would be someone out there trying. The poor you tube ist keeps trying to drum up some content, but really..No publicity?

No anarchist has dropped by the base, no webcam coverage? 

I really feel like I should put the tin hat on, cause I'm wondering if the show is on.

The shows starts at 5

https://sailgp.com/races/new-york/event-overview/?fbclid=IwAR1pjRxFQK9QNRehe_EaROxLRcwkXadL1mwgRznoa0d4TacnLQ8lgCQe3cc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe my impression of a media void is based on the news section of the app and web. Could be they are busy on FB, I'm not there often.

 

Screenshot_20190615-212005_Chrome.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, barfy said:

I know..I keep wondering WTF. recent management appointments, you would think there would be someone out there trying. The poor you tube ist keeps trying to drum up some content, but really..No publicity?

No anarchist has dropped by the base, no webcam coverage? 

I really feel like I should put the tin hat on, cause I'm wondering if the show is on.

The show seems to be on, but nobody is interested in it (not even the organizers it seems).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^

(1) I am skeptical of SGP strategy and management.  Perhaps I'm wrong.  I often am. Others may be much more  optimistic than I about the SGP learning curve and strategic direction.  What they want and say is one thing.  What happens may or may not be very congruent with that.  Time will tell.  Money in hand will be key. 

(2) For convenience I have pasted my "Claim" here since it was not exactly as represented above:

########################

^^^^Bertarelli seems to enjoy actually being ON his boat whilst racing. Was on the D35 this week. Alinghi says they are looking forward to the new TF35 foilers. 

But sure, EB would love to hang out in a chase boat, after dealing with RC and LE, having RC in charge, watching other people sail his  "national" F50 with Oracle logo on the wing. Opportunity not to be missed I am sure. Maybe they will have an SGP regatta on Lake Geneva in 2022 if he pays for it. Not really. 

https://www.alinghi.com/home-en

#######################

It's not necessary for people not to be able to "stand" one another not to want to do business together.  And specifically, yes, I do doubt EB would want to have RC as his league's CEO. I do think he still prefers to put his sailing dollars where he can sail.  He has not totally aged out yet but I doubt he would fit on an F50 racing team.  But he could watch the YouTube exercise videos and maybe I am wrong. ;) 

I was under the impression that the EB quote about liking catamarans/AC50s was in the context of an America's Cup challenge:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/104316627/alinghi-boss-ernesto-bertarelli-the-americas-cup-has-become-a-game-for-engineers-i-wont-be-there

(3)  Time will tell.  One thing that I think will be key to successfully franchising teams in the league (independently funded teams within a league) will be striking a balance between the "founded and funded by Oracle co-founder billionaire LE" branding such that the billionaires and centi-millionaires that pony up for teams feel they are given appropriate billing and emphasis.   Right now, almost every story and presser about SGP hypes that.  Eventually if SGP succeeds some of the emphasis has to shift to the  independently-funded (eg "sustainable") TEAMS.  Time will tell.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Franchising will probably not work. Billionaires enjoy experiences and egos. They can't sail on these boats so there's only an ego offering. 

But any billionaire who knows anything about sailing knows this is LE/RC's show. On OD boats that are basically sloppy seconds. Built on legacy leftovers from losing syndicates with flawed strategy and design choices that ultimately lost. It fails the ego test. 

You're better off throwing your money at an IMOCA, a national syndicate for AC challenge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^well, see, a point of agreement. As time goes by, I am CERTAIN that LE and/or his estate will allocate less money to SGP.  

Where views may differ is how long LE-origin money will fund SGP and the extent of SGP "sustainability."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

^well, see, a point of agreement. As time goes by, I am CERTAIN that LE and/or his estate will allocate less money to SGP.  

Where views may differ is how long LE-origin money will fund SGP and the extent of SGP "sustainability."

It's not so much a question of SailGP than if we can make a profitable event from sailing. Larry has to invest before trying to get his money back. And at least it's not coming from public fundings... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

It's not so much a question of SailGP than if we can make a profitable event from sailing. Larry has to invest before trying to get his money back. And at least it's not coming from public fundings... :)

1) What’s wrong with an event being supported by public funds, like, for instance, the last two America’s Cups?

 

2) Are you sure these cities haven’t had to pay anything for the rights to host the event?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

1) What’s wrong with an event being supported by public funds, like, for instance, the last two America’s Cups?

 

2) Are you sure these cities haven’t had to pay anything for the rights to host the event?

It's a question of political opinion, I am economically liberal.

I consider that public money has no vocation being spent in commercial business like SailGP, or the AC.

On another point, if cities or little states like BDAs think it is financially beneficial ot pay in order  host it, fine. It works that way with F1 too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I firmly believe that as time goes by SailGP will become more Independent and less relying on Ellison.

What facts and experience do you base that belief on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

You both make it sound that SailGP will be forever dependend on Larry Ellison. That will not be the case. Larry needed to put some $$$ in to get the thing started. I firmly believe that as time goes by SailGP will become more Independent and less relying on Ellison.

It will be the case until LE is ready to move on:

Sayanara - great until the Hobart race went sideways on them.

AC - until he won it then lost.

Sail GP - for now until he tires of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

It's a question of political opinion, I am economically liberal.

I consider that public money has no vocation being spent in commercial business like SailGP, or the AC.

On another point, if cities or little states like BDAs think it is financially beneficial ot pay in order  host it, fine. It works that way with F1 too.

That sounds very much like a contradiction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Don't confuse organizing and hosting.

I wasn’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Because I want you to stop acting like you know Ellison IN and OUT. You have no clue about him, never ever have.

Holy shit, you're here? 

 

Larry, you know you're not supposed to post anything in public!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Holy shit, you're here? 

 

Larry, you know you're not supposed to post anything in public!

 

Damn, I get two five pointers for outing and clean just slides that one in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Holy shit, you're here? 

 

Larry, you know you're not supposed to post anything in public!

 

Shit, heard he had been posting in Musk's Twitter account but now that Elon claims to be taking a break, guess he has to let it out somewhere. (I discreetly avoid speculation about chicken, ooops...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Baseless, pointless, non-accurate assumptions from Clean that SailGP is dead once LE resinds the money.

Baseless, pointless, non-accurate assumptions from @dg_sailingfan that SailGP will survive once LE resinds the money

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn’t matter how long LE pays for it, he’s paying for it now and it’s great racing to watch, so just enjoy it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Because I want you to stop acting like you know Ellison IN and OUT. You have no clue about him, never ever have.

So A4E, are you and Larry buddies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is strange is that most here say SailGP will stop when Larry stops injecting money. For them a sailing event is about spending money, but they did not think of the possibility it could be profitable, and that would be a huge step for sailing. I don't mind whether it's with F50s or DF35, or both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

it could be profitable, and that would be a huge step for sailing.

Yeah it would definitely be a first.....Personally I can't see it ever making money. Shipping all the containers, setting up the marques, cranes etc. The broadcasting crews...... versus sponsorship dollars. Doubt the TV stations are paying a cent to show it. Financially it's a black hole and will suck cash indefinitely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ nice pics. I see they broke the 8 days of silence on the app now. Better late than never!

I do hope they get a little wind, two day window is such a crap shoot. 

Edit: quick look at gfs looked promising, I have no idea of the area tho. Anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, barfy said:

^ nice pics. I see they broke the 8 days of silence on the app now. Better late than never!

I do hope they get a little wind, two day window is such a crap shoot. 

Edit: quick look at gfs looked promising, I have no idea of the area tho. Anyone?

We are in a really strange weather pattern right now. Well explained by cranky weather guy:

0616-008.jpg.de3e991b544c97a0d2bc9b8ec3611c59.jpg

http://www.stormhamster.com/entry2/e061619.htm

But, that being said, they are calling for a clearing on Friday with the NW winds lasting through Saturday. That would make the race course roughly a reaching course and would make the winds strong on average but with big puffs and big holes. Similar to when the AC50s were here prior to Bermuda. 

Sunday they are calling for the winds to shift to the SW which is our prevailing direction. That could make for some nice steady winds blowing right up the course, or it could decide to wait until 5pm to materialize, or it could fail to materialize at all. You pick 'em. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So today office workers reported seeing France, China, US boats practicing.

I guess they get a head start. Australia's boat is ready but they it on land. I guess Rome and the US team are spozed to get on the podium in NYC!  (Maybe RC was looking glum in photo thinking about the complaints from limiting AUS, UK, and JPN practice time in NY?)

I was rummaging around in the SGP app, which keeps jumping to websites in the links, annoying but ok. I guess the true app mostly has the race functionality.

Anyway, I went to the NY Races, MEDIA INFORMATION link, and found a tiny red link to IMAGES. There are some very high quality boat, team, race photos.  Enjoy!  They seem to limit people from bringing video or good camera equipment into any area they control (FAQ under ticketing) which explains the lack of random viewer shots when googling around for images.  Pretty tight controls.

Also looking at media info, Rolex and Land Rover and Oracle are logo'd as sponsors. But I swear Louis Vuitton logos were on shore in Sydney and they were named in initial pressers. 

caption-2-1024x552.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love that photo, a lot of interesting details there as discussed in the caption contest a while back

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 7:58 PM, Monkey said:

So A4E, are you and Larry buddies?

I've definitely never seen him and Larry in the same thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, hoom said:

I love that photo, a lot of interesting details there as discussed in the caption contest a while back

 

A picture is worth a couple of pages on SA for sure, lol.

Added a new photo.  Sadly reinforces my guess that RC keeps thinking about having that 3-? seasons of cash in hand sooner rather than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^He is not all that old AF.  He used to look 15 or so years younger than he was. He is almost 75.

And until recently was famously quite into upkeep, getting "work done" and chasing that gray away. Deciding one is in a happy place and so emotionally secure that one no longer needs to resort to artifice and can  "go natural" is one thing, but he looks feebler than a year ago.

We have had several friends and colleagues that suddenly started "looking old" and it never was a good sign. He's an asshole but hope he's not unwell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm talking about RC. I knew LE was old but RC looks like the old man between the two of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:25 AM, dg_sailingfan said:

You both make it sound that SailGP will be forever dependend on Larry Ellison. That will not be the case. Larry needed to put some $$$ in to get the thing started. I firmly believe that as time goes by SailGP will become more Independent and less relying on Ellison.

Completely correct DG. LE is underwriting the series for 5 years. That is the 1 year build up and 4 years of racing but the teams are expected to hunt/chase/close their own sponsorship deals in that time and then be self funding. Exactly the same for the series itself.

Clean is right, the series is dead if the money stops coming in but it doesn't have to be Larry's money. The commercial teams of each team have to convince the bean counters of potential sponsors that there is a positive ROI.

$5m is chicken feed compared to the costs of, for example Formula 1 Motor Racing where the rich teams are on an annual budget of $200.

Perhaps motor racing has better sales people than SailGP?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites