Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

5 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

You don't see a problem with information only flowing through media that they "control"?

It just continues to reinforce the fact that the event is a sham.

I would see a problem if I thought that this was sailing to be reported.  I saw from the start that this was an interference game on the AC.  Larry hates to lose.

This is not a yachting 'series', it is a rip-off of technology developed for the last AC to fuck with the next one.  If there is a positive side it is that some professional sailors have a job for a few years.

Stunts like this one are sailing's equvalent of reality TV.  Some people actually believe that Gladiator or Survivor are real and unscripted.  Some people believe that Sail GP is sailing, I never did.

Pretty sad really because while the last AC was on I could not get enough of the action, I still replay the starts occasionally.  At the time I recall thinking that it would be awesome if this lived on in some way.  But now it has I could not give a fuck about it.  I saw a few minutes of the NY event after someone here sent a link and could not watch any more.  Those few minutes confirmed my impressions with the afterburner on.  It's fucked.  Larry has converted experienced yachtsmen into performing monkeys in shit locations.

I am surprised that the Nationality focus has not overcome this e.g. as an Australian I should have had my cynicism overridden by barracking for the Australian Team ... but it hasn't.

Let them go, the less they are reported the less the attempt at stealing the eyeballs will work.  Anyway, why would they want SA to have access when they have paid trolls here plastering the forum?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Forourselves said:

67806797_2273775149355068_2472882722670903296_n.jpg

The latest HB.

See....Now that's sailing news. What a beauty

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

See....Now that's sailing news. What a beauty

Bloody beautiful.... Just hope Alex doesn't trash it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Woolfy said:

Bloody beautiful.... Just hope Alex doesn't trash it!

Certainly some sweet lines on the bow..yum.

48 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Clown Car League!

Haha even the clown cars put on a better show than the Circus! lol

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

67577537_3468515519829142_34715373686017

Not much room to have your friends on board for a beer.

• Like 1

This one no doubt has cup holders and a place for the champagne bucket.  

20180904_ES_GITANA_286.JPG

On 8/3/2019 at 7:15 PM, Miffy said:

It's cold hard PR calculus. Some YouTubers, local life style instagramers got the opportunity to rub shoulders and drink champagne on a VIP boat. 

The SailGP numbers from NY didn't blow anyone away despite best efforts to include everyone strolling on an afternoon in NYC as eyeball. 

Coutts is a stubborn guy and Ellison has money and will keep doing the GP cat thing and tinker with the teams to create competition until the end  

The end of what? It won’t be his cash, it’ll be his interest and that’s been fickle at times. He can wrap this whenever he feels like it, my guess is before the forecast 5 years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mad said:

The end of what? It won’t be his cash, it’ll be his interest and that’s been fickle at times. He can wrap this whenever he feels like it, my guess is before the forecast 5 years. 

Uncle Larry's agreement with Whisper runs out in 2021 - coincidentally, when the big dance in Auckland gets under way. He'll probably be hoping someone else wins the Cup from ETNZ so he can come along and flash his $$$ to make himself feel relevant again in the AC.

7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

67477273_3468514929829201_88512937715522

67577537_3468515519829142_34715373686017

67467884_3468515916495769_34734198828323

This is pretty awesome. I have not figured out what the front half of the deck looks like, though. Do you have any links to photos of that? The articles said something about a bow cockpit. Do you have any other info about that?

12 minutes ago, Indio said:

Uncle Larry's agreement with Whisper runs out in 2021 - coincidentally, when the big dance in Auckland gets under way. He'll probably be hoping someone else wins the Cup from ETNZ so he can come along and flash his $$$ to make himself feel relevant again in the AC.

Larry may move on to other interests in 2021, but I doubt he'd be up in any sense for AC37.  He did his best as a real challenger his first try, third time was the charm to use his best a$$et and buy lawyers for the DoG challenge. If he was a real champ he'd  help Slingsby with his Aussie challenge but....we are talking about Larry and his unfinished museums and lingeringly undone projects. 

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:21 PM, random said:

Don't be like that.

I speculated, so you tell me why you were declined.  A hint ... it is never the reason they give you.

they want the coverage, I was willing to give it - it is they who would get something for nothing. I think it may be past history between Ed, Clean & Larry or Russell. Nothing to do with me. Anyway, small inconvenience, gives me more time to be with real people.

& there is always Cowes Week to write about - many more boats too.

• Like 1

The policy is pretty clear..

Media accreditation to SailGP events is reserved for professional, paid journalists on assignment for a recognized media organization or working for a media agency with proven distribution. ... While forums are useful communications tools, they are not considered professional media outlets.

I don't think it's any more "personal" than that.

3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Larry may move on to other interests in 2021, but I doubt he'd be up in any sense for AC37.  He did his be

I completely agree NeedAClew. I am sure he has the typical entrepreneur's mind set "been there, done that, got the T-shirt" He has won, defended and lost the America's Cup. At the very least he has 'done his duty' for American Sailing just as the likes of Vanderbuilt & others before him. As GGYC is likely disqualified from AC36 why would he even try to enter.

Whether one likes him or Russell or not, if one loves our sport one should just be grateful a person of his wealth is willing to spend a significant chunk of it (high side of US40m p.a. for the next few years) in attempting to develop an exciting series to showcase the sport's higher end.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

You are perhaps right smackdaddy. It also (at least partially) explains the Ed's reaction that SailGP don't consider SA to be "a recognized media organization" which from my experience around the likes of ESS, VOR etc is indeed erroneous.

BUT - to grant accreditation or not is indeed their prerogative and after all it gives little more than access to their media tent - small loss

13 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Whether one likes him or Russell or not, if one loves our sport one should just be grateful a person of his wealth is willing to spend a significant chunk of it (high side of US40m p.a. for the next few years) in attempting to develop an exciting series to showcase the sport's higher end.

Like I said, you are a very fair person, very supportive of SGP.  And Cowes has a lot more going on than the SGP media tent!

If SGP does become an exciting showcase, imho it will be due to RC and how he develops as a manager and evangelist. So as I have said, best get Larry's money upfront or in escrow because Larry's  zeal does fade as other things pique his interest. Lots of LE things without a project champion mysteriously stay "in the works" but undone. RC, no matter what else, has drive and focus to keep it going. If the money keeps coming.

15 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

You are perhaps right smackdaddy. It also (at least partially) explains the Ed's reaction that SailGP don't consider SA to be "a recognized media organization" which from my experience around the likes of ESS, VOR etc is indeed erroneous.

BUT - to grant accreditation or not is indeed their prerogative and after all it gives little more than access to their media tent - small loss

I do commend your rationality SS. In my 11 years or so here through VORs, ACs, Vendees, etc, I think SA has had some flashes of resembling a "media organization". But it's always come with way too much baggage, I think. theEd's reaction to this is a good example. There are only so many bridges in the world. At some point, it might not be "them".

Anyway, I'll start following your stuff a bit more closely. You definitely have a way with words (escape story is awesome - as is Brian's recounting).

I do appreciate this SA forum as I said. Lots of great stuff from great sailors (for the most part).

Cheers.

35 minutes ago, nroose said:

This is pretty awesome. I have not figured out what the front half of the deck looks like, though. Do you have any links to photos of that? The articles said something about a bow cockpit. Do you have any other info about that?

yandy259675.jpg

6 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I do commend your rationality SS. In my 11 years or so here through VORs, ACs, Vendees, etc, I think SA has had some flashes of resembling a "media organization". But it's always come with way too much baggage, I think. theEd's reaction to this is a good example. There are only so many bridges in the world. At some point, it might not be "them".

Anyway, I'll start following your stuff a bit more closely. You definitely have a way with words. And I do appreciate this SA forum as I said. Lots of great stuff from great sailors (for the most part).

Cheers.

Thank you for your kind words. I have a passion for our sport that goes way back to beyond my teens, owned more boats than is healthy for my bank balance and sailed on so many types that, if I didn't keep a list I would forget many of them and my efforts in helping to develop sailing here in China is just an attempt to, in a small way, put back into what I consider to be the most compelling, fulfilling and engrossing sport there is.

You are right, the forums do have the odd (can be taken more ways than one) member to be disregarded, nationalistic passions that sometimes overflow, and so on but also many great sailors or even newbie that come here for advice (aren't you glad the old welcome of 'show us your tits or wife's tits has disappeared - shows the site is growing up).

A quick anecdote that sums up what you said - After the Gothenburg prizegiving in the latest VOR someone came up to me and said "Shanghai?" - I responded "Yes" "I'm XXXXXXXXXX (don't try guess by counting the 'x's) My response was "Shit, I should have known".

I only tell that to support what you say smackdaddy that, YES we do have some great and professional sailors on these forums.

I'll send you some pics from Cowes but you will have to visit the FP to see them - ha ha!

See ya on the water

SS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Larry may move on to other interests in 2021, but I doubt he'd be up in any sense for AC37.  He did his best as a real challenger his first try, third time was the charm to use his best a$$et and buy lawyers for the DoG challenge. If he was a real champ he'd  help Slingsby with his Aussie challenge but....we are talking about Larry and his unfinished museums and lingeringly undone projects. 

We all backed Uncle Larry when he launched the legal challenge to Alinghi's inside-the-pocket illegal CoR which ultimately resulted in the DoG Challenge of AC33, and no-one begrudged him his win. Then I believe he got hijacked by Russell's petty personal politics against those in ETNZ he perceived as enemies following his departure for Alinghi (Russ holds a grudge like a scorned wife!!), which drove their relationship against ETNZ in AC34. I think Uncle Larry grapped the helm from Russ for AC34 and handed it over to ginger and the rest is history...

I don't think Larry will compete in a multi-Challenger series any more because it's too competitive for him. Bertarelli's arrogance provided Uncle Larry the legal opportunity to win the AC without fighting for the right to Challenge in a multi-Challenger format. He spent a rumoured $150-million in AC32 and came away with nothing, after their debut in AC31 with Cayard - Dickson as skippers, then Dickson alone, then Pete Holmberg...

4 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Media accreditation to SailGP events is reserved for professional, paid journalists on assignment for a recognized media organization or working for a media agency with proven distribution. ... While forums are useful communications tools, they are not considered professional media outlets.

So that's why you are here right?  YCMTSU.source.gif

4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Like I said, you are a very fair person, very supportive of SGP.

4 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

do commend your rationality SS. In my 11 years or so here through VORs

Wank wank sank.

Everyone knows how the spite cup is gonna end.

And everyone knows it started with the gang of five in Paris. Wuss sold that shot to Larry, and wuss been wanking on it since.

Get over furthering the sport, paying for nates kids shoes.this is wussels wank.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

You are right, the forums do have the odd

SS

Sorry, I did not follow, did you present yourself as SA forum contributor, journo, staff ?

5 hours ago, Indio said:

We all backed Uncle Larry when he launched the legal challenge to Alinghi's inside-the-pocket illegal CoR which ultimately resulted in the DoG Challenge of AC33, and no-one begrudged him his win. Then I believe he got hijacked by Russell's petty personal politics against those in ETNZ he perceived as enemies following his departure for Alinghi (Russ holds a grudge like a scorned wife!!), which drove their relationship against ETNZ in AC35. I think Uncle Larry grapped the helm from Russ for AC34 and handed it over to ginger and the rest is history...

I don't think Larry will compete in a multi-Challenger series any more because it's too competitive for him. Bertarelli's arrogance provided Uncle Larry the legal opportunity to win the AC without fighting for the right to Challenge in a multi-Challenger format. He spent a rumoured $150-million in AC32 and came away with nothing, after their debut in AC31 with Cayard - Dickson as skippers, then Dickson alone, then Pete Holmberg...

The new Hugo Boss boat - these poles out the sides attached to the shrouds. Are they used to reduce the compression load on the mast by taking the stays more out board? Seems there would be a bit of a windage penalty with them.

10 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

]

Whether one likes him or Russell or not, if one loves our sport one should just be grateful a person of his wealth is willing to spend a significant chunk of it in attempting to develop an exciting series to showcase the sport's higher end.

Exhibiting battered wife syndrome there shang:

The person may also behave in ways that can be difficult for someone outside the relationship to understand.

These include:

• refusing to leave the relationship
  • believing that the abuser is powerful or knows everything
  • idealizing the person who carried out the abuse when things are calm
  • believing they deserve the abuse
  • Like 1

But if you don't yet have accreditation for Cowes Week and you're not too battered, lemme know and I'll make a call.  Unlike SGP, they have a mature PR team full longtime pros who know what they're doing, and they know which sites drive traffic to them.

• Like 1

Ellison has ego needs, Coutts has ambitions. They found in each other what they needed to achieve them.  Those photos from LVC Cup show the magic.

Each probably thinks they are really dominating the other. I think RC is on the long con if in fact LE believes SGP will be commercially sustainable without his subsidy, but RC better get the money in hand. 

Talk of baby shoes and sport sound good. But reality may differ.

08117762.jpg

08117763.jpg

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Exhibiting battered wife syndrome there shang...

But if you don't yet have accreditation for Cowes Week and you're not too battered, lemme know and I'll make a call...

As I was saying...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Thank you for your kind words. I have a passion for our sport that goes way back to beyond my teens, owned more boats than is healthy for my bank balance and sailed on so many types that, if I didn't keep a list I would forget many of them and my efforts in helping to develop sailing here in China is just an attempt to, in a small way, put back into what I consider to be the most compelling, fulfilling and engrossing sport there is.

You are right, the forums do have the odd (can be taken more ways than one) member to be disregarded, nationalistic passions that sometimes overflow, and so on but also many great sailors or even newbie that come here for advice (aren't you glad the old welcome of 'show us your tits or wife's tits has disappeared - shows the site is growing up).

A quick anecdote that sums up what you said - After the Gothenburg prizegiving in the latest VOR someone came up to me and said "Shanghai?" - I responded "Yes" "I'm XXXXXXXXXX (don't try guess by counting the 'x's) My response was "Shit, I should have known".

I only tell that to support what you say smackdaddy that, YES we do have some great and professional sailors on these forums.

I'll send you some pics from Cowes but you will have to visit the FP to see them - ha ha!

See ya on the water

SS

There are numerous examples of tin hat conspiracies on just this page to show why SA doesn't get the credibility of regular media.  It is a very useful forum for communication.

17 minutes ago, Herfy said:

There are numerous examples of tin hat conspiracies on just this page to show why SA doesn't get the credibility of regular media.  It is a very useful forum for communication.

Hmmmm, not true at all.
I had press credentials for multiple ACs (even by SNG for AC33!), ACWS, multiple VORs, MedCup back in the day, EXSS, 52Super Series... Some had a question or wanted to see an editor's letter, but in the end it was very easy to get the accreditation.
In return I wrote articles until my fingers bled... Did I mention that it was for the German site? ;)

• Like 2

Hey DG - I think it was rh who told me the dgunt account is your sock. I thought it was Four's because it downvotes almost every post of yours. Are you really downvoting your own posts with your own sock?

Or is rh a bit off in his hosiery assignations?

Just curious. It's really hard to keep all this puppetry straight.

Speaking of the America's Cup and 2013 LVC, whenever the reported "fastest AC50 speed" was noted, was that instantaneous straight line speed? Just a blip, not over any time or distance?

Asking for a friend ;)

10 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

The new Hugo Boss boat - these poles out the sides attached to the shrouds. Are they used to reduce the compression load on the mast by taking the stays more out board? Seems there would be a bit of a windage penalty with them.

Yes, deck spreaders (deck outriggers, shroud outriggers) give a greater angle, so there are more options for shroud tension and compression to allow a lighter rig without losing stiffness.

Yes, there are tradeoffs… harder to park too. :-)

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 1:02 AM, shanghaisailor said:

Now I'm really pissed!

Just had my media accreditation knocked back by Larry's media team - reason being  " I am afraid that as Sailing Anarchy is a forum, it is not entailed."

Of course we don't measure up to 5 minutes on BBC South perhaps but I doubt if their media manager has even looked at sailinganarchy.com.

Well at least now when I write about their little event I wont have to follow any of their rules.

First time since I started writing and became a member of the Yachting Journalists' Association that I have been refused.

Guess there wont be any front page coverage on SA from GP.

Rant over - normal activity resumed. Better on the big screen at home anyway.

SS

If it helps, I believe John Navis was also denied by SailGP this spring,  when he offered video assistance.....

On 8/3/2019 at 4:02 PM, shanghaisailor said:

"I am afraid that as Sailing Anarchy is a forum, it is not entailed."

The use of "entailed" seems like poor grammar to me. Perhaps they meant "… is not an appropriate platform for promotion of the event"?

Just now, RobG said:

Seems like poor grammar to me. Perhaps they meant "… is not an appropriate platform for promotion of the event"?

Hahaha!! Some of those idiots couldn't spell "grammar"..

• Like 1

I assumed she meant "it is not entitled." Still weird construction but shows the care and attention given to sound fancy. Autocorrect got them, perhaps lol.  

Still request denied, "have a lovely day" is rather annoying.

Hey SS, can you teach theED to use the author function correctly when posting through the CMS? It would be great if the articles were attributed to the actual writer instead of all of them showing "Editor" as the author. That way we can sort the articles by the actual author, cut through the political crap, whinging, etc., and just read the good stuff you guys are writing. Ta.

7 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

It's odd that For is posting all these Fastnet Video's in this Thread

....Because there is actually a Thread for all the Fastnet related Stuff here:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/206260-fastnet-2019/

I figure since, as you say, there is a thread for this, that since there is a thread for SailGP, that you won't be posting anymore news/ crap about SailGP here anymore, so we might as well just use it to post general sailing news/ videos etc.

By the way, I see you've gone and downvoted quietly again...ya pussy!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Exhibiting battered wife syndrome there shang:

Not at all Clean although perhaps a little bit stuck between two parties that need to grow up so "battered parent" is a little bit more appropriate. Thanks for the offer but it might surprise you that I do actually know quite a few in the UK sailing scene ;-)

21 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Hey SS, can you teach theED to use the author function correctly when posting through the CMS? It would be great if the articles were attributed to the actual writer instead of all of them showing "Editor" as the author. That way we can sort the articles by the actual author, cut through the political crap, whinging, etc., and just read the good stuff you guys are writing. Ta.

Good point smackdaddy. Brian writes some good stuff, I liked his Hugo Boss article yesterday and it is indeed shown as posted by 'Editor' as is the photo of the Skally boys which one of my Fb friends posted on Facebook and I just added a short comment.

Just for the record, the SailGP thing is, as far as I am concerned, case closed. I write primarily for fun and if they don't want SA as an avenue to promote their event, then that is their prerogative but as NeedAClew noticed the rejection followed by "Have a lovely day" was a strange construct. I noticed that too.

Now I can relax in Cowes this weekend

SS

11 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

...but as NeedAClew noticed the rejection followed by "Have a lovely day" was a strange construct. I noticed that too

I guess it's better than "You can blow this status quo."

Heh.

Looks breezy all week and especially Fri/Sat. Could be spectacular, could be a no show until Sunday.

Also, as for hitting 50 knots, wind with tide there's plenty of 20+ knot gusts this week. If we don't see it in training the next few days then I can't see it happening in the racing. 

As for sailing news. the REAL fleet race trophy excitement in Cowes is that Royals will race each other for charity in the Kings Cup. That probably will be the big draw of the weekend.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2019/08/02/duke-duchess-cambridge-sign-six-celebrity-teammates-head-to/

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have enlisted celebrity teammates for their head-to-head charity yacht race next week, as the Duke signs up Bear Grylls to take on the Duchess’ Olympic rowing champion.

The royal couple are taking part the King’s Cup regatta, each skippering their own yachts to raise money and awareness for eight of their charity patronages.Today, Kensington Palace announced they would be joined by six public figures working as ambassadors for each charity, from an England football Lioness to a historian Dan Snow already starting the fighting talk.

Eight yachts will represent causes supported by the Duke and Duchess and will race on August 9 on waters around Cowes on the Isle of Wight.

Just now, Tornado-Cat said:

Great, thanks. They forecast lots of wind here in the channel next friday, let's hope they can race. It would have been perfect race conditions for the maxis.

China and France out there now. New sail colors at least for France. Choppy.

On 8/5/2019 at 2:40 PM, NeedAClew said:

Ellison has ego needs, Coutts has ambitions. They found in each other what they needed to achieve them.  Those photos from LVC Cup show the magic.

Each probably thinks they are really dominating the other. I think RC is on the long con if in fact LE believes SGP will be commercially sustainable without his subsidy, but RC better get the money in hand. 

Talk of baby shoes and sport sound good. But reality may differ.

08117762.jpg

08117763.jpg

SailGP will never be commercially viable. It must be costing LE hundreds of millions. None of the so-called national teams are self funding and each event tv and logistics are all LE. Seems to be a crazy way of getting back at Dalton and the kiwis for beating him. Poor loser or what!

1 minute ago, NeedAClew said:

China and France out there now. New sail colors at least for France. Choppy.

Choppy and windy. Nice rides at high speed from TF, China does not move much.

25 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

SailGP will never be commercially viable. It must be costing LE hundreds of millions. None of the so-called national teams are self funding and each event tv and logistics are all LE. Seems to be a crazy way of getting back at Dalton and the kiwis for beating him. Poor loser or what!

Russell gave Larry victory, promised and delivered more, and let him "beat some of the best sailors in the world."  Given his needs, priceless. Match made in....

Larry-Ellison-Rolex-Submariner.jpg

1 hour ago, winchfodder said:

Jeez Louise - talk about old ground walked so often the grass is trampled!

Roughly 0.4 of a hundred million, not hundreds of millions and he has billions which he will never be able to spend in his lifetime anyway (lucky bugger)and who are we to tell another private citizen how he or she spends their money. Mark you that is annually.

I think it is pretty cool someone is (and is able to) spending that sort of their own money to further promote our sport.

He is a lifelong sailor (at 24 he was living on a boat he couldn't afford) underwriting the project for the first 5 years to help give it traction and giving the teams the chance to raise their profile and then get funding. I really cant understand why people are so critical of someone spending money on something that promotes the exciting end of our sport.

If you look at the AC36 Protocol (section 6) and compare that with the widespread rumours that LE financially assisted his club GGYC you might get an idea why GGYC might just have not been able to enter the AC but I have said this many times before up-thread.

He spent a reported US1Bn of his own money to win, defend and then lose the Auld Mug. Entrepreneurs tend to only need one edition of any particular T-shirt, I know we look after a 50' and an 82' for one.

I agree it would be a crazy way to get back at ETNZ but wherever has he said that is why he backing this event?

Just asking!

See you in Cowes perhaps

SS

Head in the sand much? Dazzled by dosh? Enabler for entitled billionaires?

Oh and there are hundreds of legitimate YC's Larry could challenge from if he wasn't such a poor sport.

'I want to drop a few $M to promote sailing - what is the best way to do that?'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

think it is pretty cool someone is (and is able to) spending that sort of their own money to further promote our sport

Larry promotes his own ego.period.

Join SD over on MH for a spirited discussion. Enjoy the day of racing. Too bad about the 2 day window.

Screenshot_20190806-094211_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Glad the French are getting up to (straight line) speed. They are plucky.  

Think they chsnged rudder control.

"Dazzled by dosh" just is a great phrase.  

"ACA Loony" does have a ring to it. Might get a t shirt with that...

• Like 1

In my newsfeed today. This still is better than AUS and JAP touching in NYC.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

In my newsfeed today. This still is better than AUS and JAP touching in NYC.

Agreed. Brilliant match racing moment. 

BTW. I still reckon this thread has no place in the SAAC topics. 

2 hours ago, Sea420 said:

Agree :D. Even the title of the thread is inappropriate...

But...but... just ordered my "ACA Loony" t-shirt...can't  move now. 

1 hour ago, Indio said:

Technically I agree with you and swore not to return here. However, it has become a potpourri of peripheral AC and general sailing news as much as Larry's circus, so still worth a look. I loved the "What's Your Favourite Moment" vid above.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nav said:

Head in the sand much? Dazzled by dosh? Enabler for entitled billionaires?

Oh and there are hundreds of legitimate YC's Larry could challenge from if he wasn't such a poor sport.

'I want to drop a few $M to promote sailing - what is the best way to do that?'

Dazzled by dosh? Enabler for entitled billionaires? I don't think so, I am sure the likes of LE can afford a whole team of enablers. 

I would feel just as strongly if a poor kid turned up to an Oppie regatta at a 'posh' club with a boat held together by wire and binder twine to be turned away by pompous officials who thought up rules to stop him entering.

Since the One Hundred Pound Cup acquired the name "The America's Cup" the DoG has been just fine to define a qualifying challenging club.

Forget Larry Ellison for a moment, he is just the money man, why should a club which has challenged multiple times before be side-lined by additional, and unnecessary in my view, conditions for entry? What are the defender and CoR afraid of?

People forget this is a trophy which is for challenges by an "organised club" not by an individual.

If these extra conditions existed at many previous cups there are a number of clubs in the past that would have been disqualified from entry FACT!

So on the one hand it is claimed that as many challenges as possible were wanted while  on the other hand the Protocol reduced the potential pool - a strange dichotomy,or perhaps even hypocrisy.

7 hours ago, barfy said:

Larry promotes his own ego.period.

Frankly I don't give a tenpenny toss if he promotes his  own ego if at the same time he is dumping a pile of his OWN money on an event that might perhaps bring more attention to our sport, potentially raise its profile a little bit and maybe bring more participants to sailing.

Or is it just petty jealousy that, apart from 6 individuals, he has more money to splash around than anyone else? 

Anyway, I've said enough! 

23 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Frankly I don't give a tenpenny toss if he promotes his  own ego if at the same time he is dumping a pile of his OWN money on an event that might perhaps bring more attention to our sport, potentially raise its profile a little bit and maybe bring more participants to sailing.

True that. But where is the youth series. The foiling laser cup.the entry pathway. ???

When was the last time wuss was out to the manly club, where he said he was happy just helping the kids after 35? (I have no idea).

What about the children?

:blink:

3 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Dazzled by dosh? Enabler for entitled billionaires? I don't think so, I am sure the likes of LE can afford a whole team of enablers. 

I would feel just as strongly if a poor kid turned up to an Oppie regatta at a 'posh' club with a boat held together by wire and binder twine to be turned away by pompous officials who thought up rules to stop him entering.

Since the One Hundred Pound Cup acquired the name "The America's Cup" the DoG has been just fine to define a qualifying challenging club.

Forget Larry Ellison for a moment, he is just the money man, why should a club which has challenged multiple times before be side-lined by additional, and unnecessary in my view, conditions for entry? What are the defender and CoR afraid of?

People forget this is a trophy which is for challenges by an "organised club" not by an individual.

If these extra conditions existed at many previous cups there are a number of clubs in the past that would have been disqualified from entry FACT!

So on the one hand it is claimed that as many challenges as possible were wanted while  on the other hand the Protocol reduced the potential pool - a strange dichotomy,or perhaps even hypocrisy.

Or is it just petty jealousy that, apart from 6 individuals, he has more money to splash around than anyone else? 

Anyway, I've said enough! 

'Cause Larry would never get to the AC by challenging the legitimacy of another Club right? :lol:

An amateur enabler still enables.......and they say there's one born every minute

3 hours ago, barfy said:

True that. But where is the youth series. The foiling laser cup.the entry pathway. ???

When was the last time wuss was out to the manly club, where he said he was happy just helping the kids after 35? (I have no idea).

What about the children?

:blink:

Actually the youth programme has been running already, and significant growth has been announced for next year. 

27 minutes ago, Potter said:

Actually the youth programme has been running already, and significant growth has been announced for next year. 

Link pleas

1 hour ago, barfy said:

Link pleas

Like most of you genuinely give a fuck.

back when you were all jizzing over the good old days of IAAC boats and 12m no one was bullshitting about a youth program. it was a giant ego toss off by multi millionaires, nothing has changed other than Larry who has gone hero to villain and dared to spend his own money on the youth cup and youth sailing in Bermuda.

you all lynched him for it. Cynical, ineffective etc. Now when he isn’t doing it he is a cunt too?

where is the TNZ youth program? what are their oh so cuddly emirate sponsors going to promote youth or female participation? Fuck all, but keep on going at Larry.. 

13 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

48,427 kts for France.

Billy Besson: " Two days ago 48 kts, yesterday 49, more than 50 today ?"

"We are going to unleash the full power"

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Like most of you genuinely give a fuck.

back when you were all jizzing over the good old days of IAAC boats and 12m no one was bullshitting about a youth program. it was a giant ego toss off by multi millionaires, nothing has changed other than Larry who has gone hero to villain and dared to spend his own money on the youth cup and youth sailing in Bermuda.

you all lynched him for it. Cynical, ineffective etc. Now when he isn’t doing it he is a cunt too?

where is the TNZ youth program? what are their oh so cuddly emirate sponsors going to promote youth or female participation? Fuck all, but keep on going at Larry.. 

Link pls.

The red bull in 34 and follow up on 35 was truly a good start. Just hadn't seen any tell of regular youth sail on the fail gp app. And I do flick over the news there.

So take your bitter reflux elsewhere. And

Just don't try to sell me the Larry the benefactor. Please,a quick look at his business acumen over *many* years would indicate.. Not.

So, where is the press?

2 hours ago, barfy said:

Link pleas

Just Google sailgp youth programme. 

Just because it doesn't get a huge amount of press, doesn't mean it isnt there. 

1 hour ago, barfy said:

Link pls.

The red bull in 34 and follow up on 35 was truly a good start. Just hadn't seen any tell of regular youth sail on the fail gp app. And I do flick over the news there.

So take your bitter reflux elsewhere. And

Just don't try to sell me the Larry the benefactor. Please,a quick look at his business acumen over *many* years would indicate.. Not.

So, where is the press?

I don't give a fuck about Larry or selling his benefactor status to anyone, it just interesting that people take pot shots at what people did InThe past when the current holder is doing fuck all to continue his work 

yet you feel Larry should keep funding it? 

Why should he? He doesn’t owe anyone anything. 

Just because YOU COULDNT be arsed to find what he is doing doesn’t mean he isn’t doing a youth thing as part of sail GP.

What are TNZ doing for youth progression in this cup cycle? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

What are TNZ doing for youth progression in this cup cycle? 

Hiring some. 

43 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

I don't give a fuck about Larry or selling his benefactor status to anyone, it just interesting that people take pot shots at what people did InThe past when the current holder is doing fuck all to continue his work 

Why should ETNZ "continue his (Larry's) work" you moron??

26 minutes ago, Indio said:

Why should ETNZ "continue his (Larry's) work" you moron??

Look you prick, ask the twats moaning that Larry hasn’t continued after losing the cup, 

he doesnt have to do, just like NZ dont have to, barfys (and others)double standards  are what I question.