Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

Watched the practice racing. Much better than NY, crews are definitely getting better with the boats, although still not to the level we saw in Bermuda. Noticed bogan Jody has toned it down a notch, which was welcome. Some of his pronunciations still really grate - China as in "Eh China". Done instead of did will always be embarrassing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Forourselves said:

The thread I created is the one which exists in the appropriate forum to which SailGP discussion is covered. But here you are... trolling the AC Forums. AGAIN. Go figure.

You didn't create that thread. I did.

7 hours ago, animeproblem said:

Quick question, what time does the spectacle under the big top start? Local time is fine, I can figure Pacific Daylight on my "Wheely Dealy" (DIAL-O-MAP).

Tomorrow's race is cancelled. But you can get more info here:

https://sailgp.com/races/cowes/

Great practice races (2) today. Thanks for the linky. Really appreciated. See you here in Sunday.

7 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

other SailGP thread he mentions is the one he created himself but does not feed while he keeps

Wrong. SD started the current thread and your bum buddy dg as his lil buddy have the conversation wrapped up over there.

1 hour ago, barfy said:

Wrong. SD started the current thread

You missed an occasion to stfu as you are wrong again :) I am speaking of the one of your buttbuddy.

Capture.PNG

5 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

You missed an occasion to stfu as you are wrong again :) I am speaking of the one of your buttbuddy.

Capture.PNG

Does it really matter?  It’s dumb versus dumber as to the thread starters, and it’s a tough call which one is which. 

That's  why the company here is much better and why this is the right thread to use. T shirt notwithstanding.

24 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Capture.PNG

I'm talking about this one, where you and your buddy dg have the mutual like fest going on.

I think they miss you.

Screenshot_20190808-182442_Chrome.jpg

3 minutes ago, barfy said:

I'm talking about this one, where you and your buddy dg have the mutual like fest going on.

I think they miss you.

Screenshot_20190808-182442_Chrome.jpg

That dude isn’t right in the head. He’s basically SClarke, but better at being obnoxious. That’s a rare skill. 

• Like 1

Heh. This really has to be the most psychotic thread I've ever seen - except maybe for the steel sailboat thread. You guys crack me up.

But I'm glad to see you all talking about and following SailGP - despite yourselves. That was the original intent. And it worked beautifully.

8 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

If you were trolling intelligently you would have said that if the F50 had double skin soft sails they could have raced in Cowes today with 35+ kts of wind and do more than 50 kts.

Instead you post a boat with ugly colours, those of the muslim United Arab Emirates flag: red, white, black, green. And now you are going to say I am trolling you. :lol:

You know what? like everyone else, I don't give a shit about the F50, whether they have hard sails or soft sails, they're the past. If you take the red, white and black away from the F50's, they'll look even uglier than they already do, but hey, they've tried to copy everything else about the ETNZ AC50, maybe they should try splashing some green on there too! Ya never know, that might get them up to 60 knots! lol

Amazing how if you copy a few things from the winning AC boat, bam! 50 knots lol 

4 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

You didn't create that thread. I did.

Tomorrow's race is cancelled. But you can get more info here:

https://sailgp.com/races/cowes/

Oh dear...

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Heh. This really has to be the most psychotic thread I've ever seen - except maybe for the steel sailboat thread. You guys crack me up.

But I'm glad to see you all talking about and following SailGP - despite yourselves. That was the original intent. And it worked beautifully.

I thought the original intent was to get a discussion going about SailGP, not a discussion about how there is no discussion other than you talking to yourself. 

29 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

I thought the original intent was to get a discussion going about SailGP, not a discussion about how there is no discussion other than you talking to yourself. 

Indeed yes. And that discussion here was initiated by @Offshore 1 in March 2018.  We have our ups and downs but in general it has been good. 

And fairly original too, not just a running digest of corporate press releases, webpages and team Facebook posts. Heh.

32 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

No. From my first post here, my intent was and is to talk about SailGP because I personally find it very compelling. I thought this was the place for that. Whether a "discussion" happens or not doesn't mean much to me. It's funny though that this thread about SailGP is the most popular thread in the AC forum since it was started, despite all the attempts at shouting it down. And as I said, it's also the most psychotic in terms of "discussion"...except of course for Shanghai's rational contributions.

So, as I've said many times, I'll just keep posting what I find of interest. There seem to be a few people who are reading along, and that's enough for me. I certainly feel no need to defend SailGP here in an endless "discussion" loop. Maybe you AC guys really should "lock the tent" like you wanted.

In any case, it's your playground not mine. I'm really not interested in the AC...which is clear because I don't join in those "discussions". I have enough self-control for that.

• Like 1

The Ocean Race: VO65 en route to NZ for Kiwi team

by Suzanne McFadden 10 Aug 00:02 NZST10 August 2019

yysw245622.jpgThe campaign to Turn the Tide on Plastic, which reached millions of people during the record breaking 2017-18 edition of the race, was recognised for the breadth of its impact. © Richard Gladwell

Pioneering sailor Bianca Cook has her course firmly locked on the start line of the 2021 Ocean Race in Alicante - and she knows it will be a battle just to get there.

She has a boat, she has an experienced boss, and she has the belief.

Now Bianca Cook just needs the backing to become the first Kiwi woman to skipper a boat in the iconic round-the-world yacht race.

Cook, who’s just turned 30, is on a pilgrimage of sorts, taking her passion to yacht clubs all around New Zealand.

Her motivation is straightforward: to get a Kiwi team lining up in the 2021 Ocean Race (formerly known as the Volvo Ocean Race, and before that, the Whitbread).

Her nationwide tour, which hits Wellington this weekend, will spread the word of her yet-to-be-named campaign, which she’s embarking on with the help of Tony Rae – a veteran of six round-the-world races and seven America’s Cups. ‘Trae’ will be her highly-experienced team manager.

Cook also wants to share her experiences from her first circumnavigation of the globe, on board Turn the Tide on Plastic in the last version of the race, and the environmental crusade she’ll continue through this voyage.

“And I want to get people excited about ocean racing again,” she says.

It was half-way round the world – after a terrifying but exhilarating blast through the Southern Ocean – that Cook decided she wanted to do the race again, but this time with a Kiwi team.

“It was the toughest experience I’d ever had – the biggest highs and then the biggest lows, with the loss of Fish,” says Cook, after British sailor John Fisher was washed overboard and lost at sea.

"This race can consume you, but I wanted to be involved with a Kiwi team the next time around. The discussion as to who would lead it came afterwards, when we were really trying to make it happen."

Cook first ran the idea of her own campaign past her sister, Paige (also a talented sailor), their father, Ian – who happens to be the commodore of the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron – and their mother, Blanche, before she passed away in March.

“Mum definitely had her concerns around it,” Cook admits. “She wanted to make sure that I had a team behind me who would ensure the campaign was run properly and smoothly.

“She was supportive, but she had that 'concerned mum' hat on, as mum’s do. But I know she will be there with me.”

Cook admits she got in plenty of hot water with her mother in the last race.

The first instance was in the second leg, when Cook was hit by a large wave while she was on deck. Clipped on to the rail by her safety harness, she was washed into the cockpit – where her life jacket inflated.

“But somehow it got reported that I had been washed overboard. My mother, grandmother and my sister were so upset, until they saw the footage that I’d ended up in the cockpit,” she says.

A big proponent of safety, Cook also admits she was caught out in a moment of complacency during the race. As she was about to go off-watch, the breeze picked up and she went to help change the headsail. Again she was caught on camera, this time without her life jacket on.

“I got an email from my mother, written in full capitals: WHAT ON EARTH WERE YOU DOING? UP ON THE BOW WITH NO LIFEJACKET, NOT CLIPPED ON! I tried to talk my way out of it, but there was no way!”

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Youth program

No more shitty Manly Sailing Club for Russell lol

• Downvote 1

^I have NO idea what he is saying, but Besson actually has the most charisma in the lineup. 

And PS talking to yourself, this thread is currently the one with visible shit going on on the water. It will get quieter when the AC teams splash their boats and start sailing. Even For might just enjoy ETNZ for itself not always referenced in contrast to Evildom  ;)

On 8/7/2019 at 10:41 PM, JALhazmat said:

Really? They ain’t putting kids on the 75. 

The AC is more than just the sailors. 

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

No. From my first post here, my intent was and is to talk about SailGP because I personally find it very compelling.

No. You quite literally described your intent in your previous post. Do you always participate in discussions by simply arguing you didn't say what you just said when it's pointed out you are wrong?

Was it dignity you traded for self control? If so I'd encourage you to trade it back.

33 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

No. You quite literally described your intent in your previous post. Do you always participate in discussions by simply arguing you didn't say what you just said when it's pointed out you are wrong?

Was it dignity you traded for self control? If so I'd encourage you to trade it back.

Actually, yes...I quite literally said....

"...talking about and following SailGP... That was the original intent."

That's exactly what I'm doing. And it appears you AC guys are too. That's great. I'll leave you all to it.

1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Youth program

I thought you went and dug that up tc, but I see it's a post from today.

Ha, means they are reading this.

LONGER EVENT WINDOW MUPPETS

46 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Actually, yes...I quite literally said....

"...talking about and following SailGP... That was the original intent."

That's exactly what I'm doing. And it appears you AC guys are too. That's great. I'll leave you all to it.

You are genuinely attempting the selective quoting trick? remember that time you tried to do the same when you were 100% wrong about 100% flight times in AC35... ahh... good times good times...

"But I'm glad to see you all talking about and following SailGP - despite yourselves. That was the original intent. And it worked beautifully."

Your literally stated intent was to get others, ie us "talking about and following SGP" - we aren't... we are simply talking about you (which perhaps is your subconscious objective?)... so it didn't work beautifully... see?

But yes... please do jog on back to your one-man human centipede of a thread where you post links to yourself and comment on them :D If you are lucky we just might joke about it here a bit more... 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

You are genuinely attempting the selective quoting trick? remember that time you tried to do the same when you were wrong about 100% flight times in AC35... ahh... good times good times...

"But I'm glad to see you all talking about and following SailGP - despite yourselves. That was the original intent. And it worked beautifully."

Your literally stated intent was to get others, ie us "talking about and following SGP" - we aren't... we are simply talking about you (which perhaps is your subconscious objective?)... so it didn't work beautifully... see?

But yes... please do jog on back to your one-man human centipede of a thread where you post links to yourself and comment on them :D If you are lucky we just might joke about it here a bit more... 

Nuance can be hard. I get it. I'll try once more...then I fear we're back at square one - which is what this thread seems to be all about.

As you may already have surmised, I came to this thread to follow and talk about SailGP - which is what the thread appeared to be about. You AC guys howled and said you would never follow SailGP and didn't want it talked about it here. So I went somewhere else to talk about it which, again, was my original intent.

And yet, here you all are - still talking about and following SailGP...the very same intent I had! So, yes, it all worked beautifully. We both seem to be fascinated by SailGP...just in different ways and for different reasons. That's the nuance. And I'm fully supportive of it! So carry on.

Now - speaking of square one, we've already covered the whole "multiple 100% thing". I don't think there was ever any documented evidence of those boats flying 100% for the only two AC35 match races in which it could have happened according to the evidence at hand. Remember, I never said it didn't happen, I just questioned whether there was evidence to back up your statement (like the evidence I provided of my own statements). Nuance. But, I honestly don't care at this point, rh. That's all history. I think we can all move on.

59 minutes ago, barfy said:

I thought you went and dug that up tc, but I see it's a post from today.

Ha, means they are reading this.

LONGER EVENT WINDOW MUPPETS

This is more on it, pretty much same as on SGP site https://www.sail-world.com/news/220810/SailGP-Inspire-launched

The partners are providing boats (the cats and foilers) and clothing for the program.  I do like they are making participation 50-50 F-M and I do hope there is a way that financially disadvantaged people can participate in the learning and career areas, as well as sailing. That will be a biggie in US venue cities like NYC. 

And yeah, work on those media deals so you can run longer on a good day if the other is closed out. 

But sounds good, will see what its legacy is. 

22 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Nuance can be hard. I get it. I'll try once more...then I fear we're back at square one - which is what this thread seems to be all about.

As you may already have surmised, I came to this thread to follow and talk about SailGP - which is what the thread appeared to be about. You AC guys howled and said you would never follow SailGP and didn't want it talked about it here. So I went somewhere else to talk about it which, again, was my original intent.

And yet, here you all are - still talking about and following SailGP...the very same intent I had! So, yes, it all worked beautifully. We both seem to be fascinated by SailGP...just in different ways and for different reasons. That's the nuance. And I'm fully supportive of it! So carry on.

Now - speaking of square one, we've already covered the whole "multiple 100% thing". I don't think there was ever any documented evidence of those boats flying 100% for the only two AC35 match races in which it could have happened according to the evidence at hand. Remember, I never said it didn't happen, I just questioned whether there was evidence to back up your statement (like the evidence I provided of my own statements). Nuance. But, I honestly don't care at this point, rh. That's all history. I think we can all move on.

Nothing more neglected than a mistake eh... 

There we have it folks...

Ignorance or lies, no matter as "I've moved on"... Your President would be so proud...

I think we are just going to have to try our best to carry on, knowing he supports us even though he won't be visiting. We managed the first 15 months.

Speaking of that 15 months, clew, before I head out for the evening, I would encourage you and others to actually look back at the first few pages. I think it's now very, very clear who was right and who was wrong. It really doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

Did Monkey ever collect on changing Four's avatar? Is that why he went from sclarke to Four? Anyway, 'tis a rich history indeed. I hope that surfsailor comes back around. He sure called it. Dude deserves a victory lap!

Ciao.

50 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

But, I honestly don't care at this point, rh. That's all history. I think we can all move on.

Only when it applies to your past mistakes eh... not others... you can't avoid hypocrisy for even a handful of minutes...

50 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

...would encourage you and others to actually look back at the first few pages. I think it's now very, very clear who was right and who was wrong...

27 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Only when it applies to your past mistakes eh... not others... you can't avoid hypocrisy for even a handful of minutes...

The ignore function works wonders. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Speaking of that 15 months, clew, before I head out for the evening, I would encourage you and others to actually look back at the first few pages. I think it's now very, very clear who was right and who was wrong. It really doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

Did Monkey ever collect on changing Four's avatar? Is that why he went from sclarke to Four? Anyway, 'tis a rich history indeed. I hope that surfsailor comes back around. He sure called it. Dude deserves a victory lap!

Ciao.

Well, @Offshore 1 was right, no?  

Remember the thread started with word of work starting at Core (do you know what that is?) and people getting hired. It was many months before any official announcement.  

Factor out the usual OTAUS/ETNZ drama (which one is used to if one frequents the ACA threads) and it's  interesting conspiracy theory converging to real boats, teams. 

Come in Season 1, plenty of pressers to glean from. 

What I can't  figure out is what "move on," and "ciao" mean in your alternate universe. You criticize this thread, say you're moving to better pasture, but keep coming back to get another word in. Sound familiar, this thread is full of that, lol. But if you need to be proven right, have others recant, and need to have the last word, well nobody seems to achieve that here. There are usually 2 to 4 vendetta dialogues going as well as more general stuff and progress is made as the envelope of all that...

But I heard there was some thread over in Multihull where a guy has gets the last word, though...might head over there.

• Like 1

We are currently exploring options to further maximize Sunday’s program and fan experience

That quote is from the Sail GP website.  I've never understood why the Sail GP folks voluntarily tie their hands behind their backs with these two-day windows that can so easily get disrupted with too much or too little wind.  I wonder if they're talking to the Cowes Week organizers about stretching the event out beyond Sunday? 

It's  10 am EDT and I think they are starting a talk show or something on FBook the main SGP page.

Got home, took a look at SGP site. Races are on for tomorrow as originally planned, just 3 races. They might??? try practicing or something to enhance experience but nothing announced that I saw.  10 am EDT.

Weather forecast I saw shows mid to high teen winds with gusts tomorrow in mid twenties but maybe locals have better info?

The videos for shows today are on YouTube apologies if geoblocked, can't tell.

And here is a photo of the ETNZ AC50 just so nobody else need post one. Happy weekend, folks!

Large_RG 041016ETNZAC45S 0151.jpeg

• Like 1

can't disagree how idiotic

It was kinda boring anyway. Slingsby and now also Outteridge complaining about restrictions on practice time. Sounding more like WWE. :(

Because I am interested if it's gonna be solid 20kt, I looked over at mh, again, to check out the goss. No goods, really a glowing endorsement of how this has engaged sailors. I hope Nathan gets an AC ride and dumps this shit.

Screenshot_20190810-170221_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, barfy said:

Because I am interested if it's gonna be solid 20kt, I looked over at mh, again, to check out the goss. No goods, really a glowing endorsement of how this has engaged sailors. I hope Nathan gets an AC ride and dumps this shit.

I was really surprised that American Magic didn't get Nathan Outteridge instead of Barker...unless Nathan turned them down for the Aussie Challenge that floundered..

With his personality, he'd fit right in at ETNZ as a practice helmsman when the second AC75 is launched...

17 minutes ago, Indio said:

I was really surprised that American Magic didn't get Nathan Outteridge instead of Barker...unless Nathan turned them down for the Aussie Challenge that floundered..

With his personality, he'd fit right in at ETNZ as a practice helmsman when the second AC75 is launched...

I suspect it was a case of timing to a certain extent - SBTJ was a fake-team that was on borrowed time after at the end of its last race on the water and was fully dead once OTUSA had lost the cup. DB would have been available straight away. Whereas NO/Artemis were still a going concern until the mono was announced, which happened some time later.

As NO said in Shirley's podcast - he'd still jump at the chance to join an AC36 team. It's a bit of a shame for us and him that that hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

I suspect it was a case of timing to a certain extent - SBTJ was a fake-team that was on borrowed time after at the end of its last race on the water and was fully dead once OTUSA had lost the cup. DB would have been available straight away. Whereas NO/Artemis were still a going concern until the mono was announced, which happened some time later.

As NO said in Shirley's podcast - he'd still jump at the chance to join an AC36 team. It's a bit of a shame for us and him that that hasn't happened yet.

One of the AC teams may end up picking up Nathan as a back-up helmsman. He would certainly be a very valuable addition to any AC team..

https://sailgp.com/races/cowes/race-information/

Scroll down to see new schedule.

3 fleet races, no match race. Races start regular time but there is youth stuff and practice starting at noon and 2 PM there.   Guessing they might put those on Facebook or YouTube or the app, so if interested go check.

3 hours ago, rh3000 said:

suspect it was a case of timing to a certain extent - SBTJ was a fake-team that was on borrowed time after at the end of its last race on the water and was fully dead o

Now that you mention it db is a tad cadavourous. 

Anyway, he's a good choice for a warm up challenge for sure.

Good to see RC heading up Sail GP,s " Inspire " Youth initiative .

Can some one please remind me what youth program ETNZ are running ?

13 minutes ago, Justaquickone said:

They hired them to sail, design and build their boats. 

16 minutes ago, Justaquickone said:

No, go and ask DG or SD in the MH thread, bye.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

They hired them to sail, design and build their boats. 

I think it's great that ETNZ has given Younger minds with fresh ideas the opportunity to contribute .

But not exactly the definition of youth that I would use .

The stuff-up that is SailGP communications reminds of the tale of the cub reporter sent to cover a rugby game. He returned to the office to say there was no story. Asked for details, he said the grandstand had burned down.

Content on the SailGP home page over the past 24 hours had the same, no-hoper “no story” flavor – a flat, moribund promo page for all SailGP events over the year and which by 1000 hours Sunday still featured a link in tiny mice type on the top left corner warning there would be no racing on Saturday. Gripping stuff!

Jesus wept! If they still didn’t know what they were doing by 1000 hours on race day, at least they could have featured some of the spectacular weather stories from 24 hours earlier that were buried elsewhere on the site. Those, plus the days’ race program and weather report.

Talk about a ship without a rudder.  The blame ultimately lies with Russell and his whiz kid web and comms team.  Perhaps they did better with Tweets or Instagram, or Facebook. Sorry, I don’t do Twitter or Instagram and SailGPs Facebook page is such a mashup that I’ve abandoned it.

It’s not hard to do. A single, dedicated digital service should anchor comms and coverage. It’s not as though a contemporary model hasn’t already emerged. Newspapers do it for sporting and news events.  They post full news and feature stories and salt them with timely Tweets and other digital text and photo scraps. Rugby, tennis and cricket are all excellent examples, just to name a few.

I’ve been an avid booster of a balls-to-the-wall professional sail racing circuit for nigh on 30 years, starting with noteworthy efforts like the Darden Brothers’ Ultimate Yacht Race event in Corpus Christi, then Sid Morris’ Pro-Sail 40-foot catamaran circuit in the U.S. and Aussie Noel Robins’ globe-spanning World Yachting Grand Prix. 

All had visions of taking pro-level sail racing to the masses by harnessing emerging TV technology while freed from the constraints of conventional regatta organization. And making it understandable for non-sailors. All had their days in sun. Some survived longer than others. They all attracted very credible entrants, They all failed for multiple reasons not the least of which was financing.

That’s why I’ve been holding out hope for the Coutts/Ellison Sail Grand Prix despite Russell’s history as an event organizer of shooting himself in the foot, even when buttressed by Ellison’s seemingly bottomless purse.

It’s not too late to right the ship before the Marseilles grand finale.  Coutts needs to clear his head, put himself in the role of fans old and new who are seeking enlightenment and set then out to revamp his comms team. Heads should roll.  Evidence to date suggests he needs a sail-oriented news editor backed up by a sail-oriented webmaster, each with small flexible staffs.

All this with the clear understanding that fan interest, and with it income, comes ultimately from good, cohesive content and not dry and dusty promo pages

47 minutes ago, Justaquickone said:

I think it's great that ETNZ has given Younger minds with fresh ideas the opportunity to contribute .

But not exactly the definition of youth that I would use .

You know that Larry Ellison is worth approximately a third of New Zealand’s entire national GDP, right?

20 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

You know that Larry Ellison is worth approximately a third of New Zealand’s entire national GDP, right?

Point taken .

It doesn't have to be at a scale that LE is able to achieve with his vast wealth .

But surely the defenders and their and home club could do something ?

Or is just presently owning the Cup enough ?

@KiwiJoker excellent critique. Hopefully either SGP buddies read or an enterprising and competent entrepreneur makes a winning pitch to them.

Around 9 am my time, hour ahead, all they had was recaps with the screaming announcer on the app.  So I am watching Cowes webcam. Modest shore crowd. The F50s are out there, including China. Latter noteworthy because they cracked a foil in the shed today. Shore teams are really good and far more on point than media teams. 

Presti has an interview I will post later explaining the tech update that lets then go over 50. As I and others suspected, it's increased rudder differential they jiggered the algorithm that controls it.

Besson beat Slingsby in a youth fleet race. Stolevit rightbat the end. Yay Billy! Kirby capsized.  All seem ok. Little youth boats have been sailing around, they live here and are used to it I guess. 

Off to screw with the app. CBS Sports Network has delayed broadcast today in US, 1-3 pm on our cable guide.

Look forward to seeing the event and reading reactions. 

Edit Linky try google translate

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/regate/world-sailing/sail-gp-philippe-presti-mon-gps-m-a-indique-plus-de-57-noeuds-da3f633c-bc08-11e9-85ac-ff88f103b0ff

Japan damaged fairing before race start, patched it. Racing ok.

Just shortened course by a leg. First race. 

Reporting AUS touched 50kt in a race.

Brits got tumbled in their nosedive, stopping racing I think.

Just now, NeedAClew said:

Reporting AUS touched 50kt in a race.

Our usual whiners are going to cry that there was current, that the race was organized for record, that the measurement was not precise and blah blah blah...

Hey and USA had that Aussie on board again. He really somersaults as the rudder came out.

But Slingers did a great job racing. 

One thing that prob is obvious to more knowledgeable folks, but really striking me the knife edge tradeoff between making a light boat for speed and the damage from any mishap at speed. Things keep breaking even in practice, eg Aussie comms before the race, Japan fairing  damage it is that plastic wrap stuff, fragile. Great Britain had damage, crew banged up. Japan some other damage.

May be 4 boats race 2. US is sailing to start?!?

No British in racing. 5 racing. Australia has no comms, replaced pedestals on another, US I think. Short race to get 3 in.

Too much stuff breaks on these things. Hydraulics, pedestals, comms...

34 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Please more Sommersault Saltos from Chris Draper. That was fun :D

I thought you weren't supporting SailGP anymore? After all of your bullshit about Capsizes, breakages and injuries in the AC, you see it in SailGP and its "Fun". You're an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Please more Sommersault Saltos from Chris Draper. That was fun :D

Injuries are fun? You are a cunt..

• Like 1

^^ DG, WTF?!? The person all knotted up in angst over the dangerous and too extreme AC75 thinks tossing people around as long as it's in LarryLand is just peachy keen?  What hypocrisy.  People get their necks broken smashing helmets into each other or hard surfaces, happens in American football all too often at high school and pro levels.  

Anyway, no more spoilers but here are ALL the SGP YouTube videos, including the Cowers Races 1-3 at least in the US. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8Z3si9YuOzrJN-4dVpW5Jw/videos

Cowes races

7 hours ago, Justaquickone said:

Point taken .

It doesn't have to be at a scale that LE is able to achieve with his vast wealth .

But surely the defenders and their and home club could do something ?

Or is just presently owning the Cup enough ?

The RNZYS has been running a youth (15-23yrs) programme for 30 years.  I suspect more Americas Cup sailors over the past 20 years have been through this programme than any other single organisation. 

Just because they don't have the platform to tell the world about it, doesn't mean they're not doing anything.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

^^ DG, WTF?!? The person all knotted up in angst over the dangerous and too extreme AC75 thinks tossing people around as long as it's in LarryLand is just peachy keen?  What hypocrisy.  People get their necks broken smashing helmets into each other or hard surfaces, happens in American football all too often at high school and pro levels.  

Anyway, no more spoilers but here are ALL the SGP YouTube videos, including the Cowers Races 1-3 at least in the US. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8Z3si9YuOzrJN-4dVpW5Jw/videos

Cowes races

Annotation 2019-08-12 061833.png