Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

5 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Most interesting article, a bit too long to translate though, you can try Gtrans.

57 kts on one GPS for some reasons

Present foils begin to cavitate at 50 kts.

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/regate/world-sailing/sail-gp-philippe-presti-mon-gps-m-a-indique-plus-de-57-noeuds-da3f633c-bc08-11e9-85ac-ff88f103b0ff?fbclid=IwAR0TNw1UBxk8PPGr6L2uqQlFMCbAQMiS1z_JpzyMMMpj3X7-vOvMKdS8m1c

57 knots from the outside hull location during a turn around the center axis... clearly at a significant speed in any case

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

57 knots from the outside hull location during a turn around the center axis... clearly at a significant speed in any case

Hahaha!! On that basis, ETNZ's Aotearoa must have smashed 60knts doing those pirouettes when taking the Defenders apart in Bermuda...:lol:

20 hours ago, barfy said:

Good for wusss sending the boys out, gutsy call

The pressure to send the boats out must have been huge. Imagine if no racing took place after the immense logistical and monetary cost of putting one of these events on?!

They got away with it though, and the racing was pretty cool in a gladiatorial kind of way.

32 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Hey I thought no math would be required!? LOL

Those puppies must have accelerometers and gyros on them would be cool to see those data. 

They likely picked race time windows for tides; winds fortunately calmed more as was predicted after they sent them and tide helped the ride. Good on the fly adjustment of the course to get 3 races in the window. 

They did really well considering.

Poor RC must have looked pretty peaked after. But it was managed well within constraints.

22 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Hey I thought no math would be required!? LOL

Those puppies must have accelerometers and gyros on them would be cool to see those data. 

They likely picked race time windows for tides; winds fortunately calmed more as was predicted after they sent them and tide helped the ride. Good on the fly adjustment of the course to get 3 races in the window. 

They did really well considering.

Poor RC must have looked pretty peaked after. But it was managed well within constraints.

Where were boats based for the weekend? Can’t think of anywhere in Cowes big enough to support that. 

23 minutes ago, mad said:

Where were boats based for the weekend? Can’t think of anywhere in Cowes big enough to support that.

race4-cowes-new-1.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

race4-cowes-new-1.jpg

That must been fun bringing them in and out of there in that breeze!  Any footage of them doing that along with the wings be lifted in and out?  :blink::P

I think there have been some done by teams. The team YouTube channels are a place to look.

Here eg is one of the wing shed at Cowes

And here but from Sydney showing the heavy  lifting.

3 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Current + windward rotating hull.

3 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

The pressure to send the boats out must have been huge. Imagine if no racing took place after the immense logistical and monetary cost of putting one of these events on?!

They got away with it though, and the racing was pretty cool in a gladiatorial kind of way.

Hey, it was a no-brainer for Rusty. With wind forecast at or over the top level it was unlikely he'd kill anyone and the opportunities for mayhem were rife. We know costs are not a problem. A bit of crash and burn would be good for extra visibility and interest.  The only danger was an outright mutiny .... a refusal by crews to compete if things got too narley!

30 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

Hey, it was a no-brainer for Rusty. With wind forecast at or over the top level it was unlikely he'd kill anyone and the opportunities for mayhem were rife. We know costs are not a problem. A bit of crash and burn would be good for extra visibility and interest.  The only danger was an outright mutiny .... a refusal by crews to compete if things got too narley!

Glad no one was hurt. wasn't really racing, just survival. There is a fine line between breaking some fairings, some good stuffs, and the move that Chris Draper did. There was some serious momentum there, glad he is ok. I'd say a testament to the crews, but survival racing sitting on those tiny hulls. I hope the AC36 class is a bit more enclosed for the crew, with more substantial protection. That's really going to be the net sum evolution of the new class; no tramp crosses, further inboard  from the rails, further away from the main foils both above and below wl in the 50's, and the rails don't lead directly down onto the rudder wings.

When you look at fresh racing like that through the lens of the AC75 the design makes sense if you are committed to foiling.

Plus it'll be 30% bigger :D

5 hours ago, Indio said:

Hahaha!! On that basis, ETNZ's Aotearoa must have smashed 60knts doing those pirouettes when taking the Defenders apart in Bermuda...:lol:

they never broke 50

sooo probably not

51 minutes ago, inebriated said:

they never broke 50

sooo probably not

He's back folks! He's dg no.2

4 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

A bit of crash and burn would be good for extra visibility and interest.  

And we all know that's what counts right?

Seeing the performing monkeys crash is fun!  Kinda like the roman Colosseum.  Everyone wants to see blood!

2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

He's back folks! He's dg no.2

are you supposed to be sclarke???

I've been on a vacation from this toxic site where people draw up imaginary numbers to try and make the team that they support sound better then something completely unrelated.

but it's just too funny

I'm nobody's sock puppet though

I don't know who you think I am other than just me???

8 hours ago, mad said:

Might have been the "British Flag" building, the old British Hovercraft shed. Apparently now called Venture Quays, and in the process of being bought by the council, from a broke developer.

183258678.jpg.gallery.jpg.90a9e2c8ad44cfb0febbb45cf1701d83.jpg

3 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Might have been the "British Flag" building, the old British Hovercraft shed. Apparently now called Venture Quays, and in the process of being bought by the council, from a broke developer.

183258678.jpg.gallery.jpg.90a9e2c8ad44cfb0febbb45cf1701d83.jpg

Definitely there, lifting the wings in and out would have been fun 

9 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

race4-cowes-new-1.jpg

They were kept at the docks in southampton, so had to sail down southampton water every day, not sure what they did in the technical area as i can see that from my house and i didnt see any big wing related activity there

• Like 1

They launched from the car freight / grain terminal, next to the cruise ships in the dock next to the National Oceanography Centre (aerial photo). Boats were then moored up where the Itchen meets Southampton water. You could see them all lined up as we drove over the bridge in to Southampton. 

https://goo.gl/maps/nS1DMkkGa21bw3Ly8

As we got the Red Jet ferry over GBR were just setting out. They chased us pretty hard out of Southampton water and must have been clocking some knots in the flat (but gusty) Southampton water. Took them 30 minutes to sail over including some low riding as they beat over the solent against the then significant chop. 

I think the marks and containers for onshore set up were in the East Cowes technical area. 

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-06 at 15.50.47.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

They launched from the car freight / grain terminal, next to the cruise ships in the dock next to the National Oceanography Centre (aerial photo). Boats were then moored up where the Itchen meets Southampton water. You could see them all lined up as we drove over the bridge in to Southampton. 

https://goo.gl/maps/nS1DMkkGa21bw3Ly8

As we got the Red Jet ferry over GBR were just setting out. They chased us pretty hard out of Southampton water and must have been clocking some knots in the flat (but gusty) Southampton water. Took them 30 minutes to sail over including some low riding as they beat over the solent against the then significant chop. 

I think the marks and containers for onshore set up were in the East Cowes technical area. 

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-06 at 15.50.47.jpeg

That makes more sense, didn’t think there was enough space in Cowes. 

11 hours ago, Indio said:

Another brillant post....The maximum speed during AC35 was 47.2 kts and it was accomplished by Artemis. Now you can go back to your golf course.

• Like 2

My guess is that next year, when all teams control better their boat and master the 50 kts barrier, they will design a supercavitating foil to aim the 55 + kts. And why not 60...

21 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

My guess is that next year, when all teams control better their boat and master the 50 kts barrier, they will design a supercavitating foil to aim the 55 + kts. And why not 60...

Turn it up Bill!

13 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Possibly. But probably not. Most of the course they are not at max speed and are sailing tighter angles to improve the VMG. Whilst the 50 knots is a cool thing, it's really neither here nor there in terms of providing a good sports package. It provided an interesting sub-plot for these first few events and was atalking point between teams to build some rivalry. But for now I don't think top speed should be their prime concern. 

Next year is modular wings, which makes sense as clearly the wings off the AC boats are getting old and JPN particularly has suffered. It was impressive they got out in 25 knots on Sunday, but with cut down wings they will have a lot less downtime at events. Less weight and less drag too, so possibly better average speed, but mostly just to get in more sailing.  I reckon the new wings will have improved control systems too, i think the present ones just came off the AC50 with little development. 

I think the big gains, for the viewers at least, is in the control systems, plus time in the boat for the teams. That should really tighten the racing up. 

I'd then leave it to season 3 onwards to look at 55 knots, possibly at that point they will have AC boats challenging their 'fastest racing sailboat' moniker anda  tit for tat speed race between the two events could prove a media boost for both. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

That will make the racing EXTRA-better when one or two teams like AUS or JPN/NO teams are a leg further ahead and the rest of the teams are still dealing with break downs and the fleet limps home with three boats on the water....  As a Cat and Skiff sailor for over 20 years and done my cycles i would rather they put 200 lbs of additional carbon back in the boats and let them race in way that makes it look like a professional series not some circus side show. 

In 2005 when the 52s in Europe first took off there were 25-27 of them, they could not race in over 18 without shit flying off them, stringers ripping out or the bows delaminating (both 2005 and 2006 build I sailed on had complete delam issues over 18kts, one sunk), when the series selected/ mandated some heavier air venues and pushed for stronger builds is when the series really got fun to participate in and watch.  Last month in 25+ the 52 were doing nearly 30 knots according to the press releases, the racing was close, the pictures and video were amazing and one breakdown over 7 days.

Seriously, who gives a f*&@ about boats that can do sixty if the racing sucks, solid competitors can not even get to the starting line (NO for example) and the boats are always falling off the foils and breaking in a way that can not be fixed and back out on the water. If it is about speed just take it the trench and do speed runs like the foil kites (or go to Wisconsin and watch the DNs race they have been doing 60 since 1980). 

• Like 5

A good "design race" with someone losing, someone winning, not much fun to watch from a racing standpoint when one boat just cant even race.... I think the next cup cycle will be a bunch of this...

7 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Hahahaha ok dg.

On 8/11/2019 at 7:52 PM, NeedAClew said:

Actual question. 

The F50s weigh 2400 kg per the SGP media kit.

Per Wikipedia AC50s were 2332-2432 kg

Just wondering how much extra stuff they packed into F50s besides the crewmember weight differential. I had been thinking they had 438 kg crew  in the F50 and 525 (?) In the AC50. 

They added pumps and batteries, new foils and rudders. Same wing sail for now. But sure appear to be getting damage from water, shock, flexure as they race and practice.

Did they lighten "noncritical" hull parts too, to make weight room for the new systems?

Were bow sections of AC50 hulls solid shells or did they have shrinkwrap parts?

Speaking of 200 pounds of carbon per @DHFiend  I do wonder if they made the boats flexier in a bad way to make weight room for pumps, etc.? Anybody know?  They sure are getting a lot of electrical damage, hydro leaks, ripped off pedestals.

They are certainly using the original AC50 wingsails on at least 4 boats (assuming the 2 new ones are all new build). Outteridge said in one of the clips that theirs was "pretty old."

https://www.sail-world.com/news/220910/RNZYS-to-host-Foiling-Match-Racing-Champs?fbclid=IwAR2Mj50ps8xWbyqGhFjG0uV4v3ePn1muyThG4E6u8VPPgnya4xsAAdSe0NU

RNZYS to host inaugural Foiling Match Racing Championships in 2020

by Andrew Delves, RNZYS PR & Communications Manager 13 Aug 17:13 NZST13 August 2019

yysw261357.jpg

ICYMI, the dread Front Page has @shanghaisailor 's writeup of his day spectating at Cowes. It apparently was a rollicking partisan local crowd, understandably disappointed by their team's inability to continue, but enjoying the day nonetheless.

SS was apparently there with when China Team dinged on a metal bench and testifies to the obvious competence and speed of those shore team guys.

SS, I am glad you had a good time, thanks for reporting back!

Finally got to watch Sunday's races, three days after the event. Oh well, better late than never. Thoughts.....interesting with the crews just trying to get the boats around the track in one piece. The boats are fragile - especially the big wing. USA did race again despite going over, whereas GBR broke something after stuffing their bows and couldn't continue. Not sure what's going on with the rules as Aus and Japan both crossed the boundary going upwind yet weren't censored? If I'd had money on the outcome I'd be pretty pissed at the opaque officiating. Unsure whether Bookies are giving totes on this?

As a spectacle - gee whizz amazing event, taking sailors and sailing into the future? I'm not really convinced, there's just something not quite right about it. Still more hype than substance for me, but anyway, it is what it is. Time will tell if this "thing" has any future. Oh, and congrats to Austrayah!

13 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

.Not sure what's going on with the rules as Aus and Japan both crossed the boundary going upwind yet weren't censored? If I'd had money on the outcome I'd be pretty pissed at the opaque officiating. Unsure whether Bookies are giving totes on this?

I think the penalty was just get a boat length behind the others. Given relative skills, not much of a handicap.

14 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I think the penalty was just get a boat length behind the others.

They handed out penalties around the start for going over the boundaries, but none on the upwind leg? Seems odd to me.

SailGp feels more like an Exhibition, or a demonstration of technology, rather than a genuine contest with something tangible at stake.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

[Snip]SailGp feels more like an Exhibition, or a demonstration of technology, rather than a genuine contest with something tangible at stake.

Demonstration of one man's spite; that spite driving him to stoke, or stroke, another man's ego to enable an Exhibition of old technology wrapped in a cotton wool of hype.

It certainly looked like one of those times on the water where you wished you were somewhere else, and were glad to be there after the deed was done.

On 8/13/2019 at 6:40 AM, rh3000 said:

Google translation: "One of my GPS told me a speed over background greater than 57 knots! Because it did not take into account neither the current, nor the fact that it was placed on the hull in the wind…". 

Presumably "on the hull in the wind" should be translated as "on the windward hull", so by "outside the hull" I suppose you mean "on the outside hull", as in the outer hull with respect to the turn.

Assuming a 100m radius turn to the inside hull (that's about a 1G turn at +50kn) with the outside hull doing 57kn, the inside hull is doing 52.5 kn and the centre is doing 54.7 kn.

In regard to tide effects, on Sunday 11 August the Cowes low tide was at 14:41. Racing was from 15:00 to about 17:00, so the races were from the start to about the middle of the flood tide. Only a local could tell you the effect it had on speeds, but I suspect the tide was variable across the course.

Good to see the boats all hitting +45kn in less than 10kn of breeze during the practice races.

• Like 1

How can you all be so cynical about a perfect circus act, I always like the clowns best.

Shang Saviour wasn't sure what to make of it, but he surely still likes his press pass next time. 

Wouldn't want to lead anyone on to the FP, so here goes SS's essay:

gp ok

EditorAugust 13, 2019

gp-1.jpg
So, as some of us already know there was no SailGP action on Saturday but, for the avoidance of doubt the Royal Yacht Squadron was flying N over A for the Cowes Week yachts , the Redjet Southampton -Cowes ferry was suspended for 4 hours and The Needles was recording 65 knot gusts and at the Classis Car show at the Island’s airport they were chasing the frames for the car stands down the airfield and as I crossed the Solent on the Red Funnel car ferry the captain cheerfully reported constant winds of 35 – 41 knots.

Sunday dawned with a little less breeze yet still on the edge of the upper limit for the F50 flying machines and my day started off with a visit to the Tech Area, Team China to be specific.

If anyone doubts the strength of these boat’s foils, new part had been fitted to the hydraulic system and when the system was switched on the foil dropped onto an Aluminium support bending it like paper and while causing some surface damage to the foil. Within 40 minutes the shore crew had applied fast set epoxy, cured it, sanded and polished it, then lowered the boat onto her trolley ready for launching. All done quietly, efficiently with no sign of a headless chicken anywhere.

The sailing action commenced with the RS Cat 14 fleet of youngsters drawn from local clubs as part of the SailGP Inspire initiative before making way for the main event.  It was noticeable none of the F50 teams were risking any showboating prior to the racing, these beasts were going to be a handful even for crews at this level.

And so it proved to be earlier than I think anyone expected. Rounding the first turning mark in the first race France, China and the USA stuffed it in as the boats turned downwind and the power came on. 

France and China got away with it but whether USA were a little slower in dumping power of the little bit of wave they hit was that bit steeper was unclear but she hung there for what seemed an eternity. Will they, wont they transpired to be ‘they will’ as almost in slow motion the wingtip headed for the Western Solent with thankfully little more damage than to the beam fairing and of course pride although later on Rome Kirby played down the incident as just racing.

They were thankfully able to re-join the racing for the subsequent races. Not so Team GBR as a huge down the mine incident with the boat stopped dead resulted in the worst kind of damage, that to the crew with one of them performing a somersault that would have scored high in Olympic competition. The injuries were nowhere as severe as they might have been. A huge disappointment however for what had shown itself to a partisan crowd lining Cowes Green and Egypt Point.

I don’t intend to produce a blow by blow account of the racing but the atmosphere build up was well done except that instead of a mascot running along the beach getting people to cheer it was a helicopter side-slipping along the crowd, there was a genuine buzz with people out with their chairs on the beach, flags waving, a real sports event atmosphere and excitement and no remote prizegiving with the teams brought ashore while their support RIBs kept the boats on station in the background.

The series has had its detractors, and after being live at an event I have to say unfairly so. Their media department clearly doesn’t like Sailing Anarchy and there are anarchists who have reciprocal feelings but this series, indeed any event that raises sailing’s profile can only be good for our sport.

The Marseille final towards the end of September is the season finale with a grand prize of USD1m. Perhaps a foregone conclusion who will be in the final with two clear series leaders and the third place GBR slipping back having completed no races in Cowes and Japan having a less than sparkling day on the water but in the winner takes all match race it could all turn round as Japan has proven in a previous venue.

Am I biased? Perhaps a little but I was sitting beside a traditional sailor for the action. A Corby 25 owner who wont see retirement age again and he thought this was a wonderful thing for sailing and good to see our sport being promoted in such an exciting and dynamic way. Attendance? Hard to say except any official sales of seating or VIP visitors could easily be doubled by the numbers watching on the pebble beach in front of the grandstand.  6 weeks to the finale! – SS.

Shanks Shang !

• Like 2

On 8/13/2019 at 7:05 AM, Indio said:

ETNZ's Aotearoa ??? You need to let go of the past and move with the future. Looking back is for senti-mentals with mental; being the latter..! :D

3 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

How can you all be so cynical about a perfect circus act, I always like the clowns best.

Shang Saviour wasn't sure what to make of it, but he surely still likes his press pass next time. 

Wouldn't want to lead anyone on to the FP, so here goes SS's essay:

gp ok

EditorAugust 13, 2019

gp-1.jpg
So, as some of us already know there was no SailGP action on Saturday but, for the avoidance of doubt the Royal Yacht Squadron was flying N over A for the Cowes Week yachts , the Redjet Southampton -Cowes ferry was suspended for 4 hours and The Needles was recording 65 knot gusts and at the Classis Car show at the Island’s airport they were chasing the frames for the car stands down the airfield and as I crossed the Solent on the Red Funnel car ferry the captain cheerfully reported constant winds of 35 – 41 knots.

Sunday dawned with a little less breeze yet still on the edge of the upper limit for the F50 flying machines and my day started off with a visit to the Tech Area, Team China to be specific.

If anyone doubts the strength of these boat’s foils, new part had been fitted to the hydraulic system and when the system was switched on the foil dropped onto an Aluminium support bending it like paper and while causing some surface damage to the foil. Within 40 minutes the shore crew had applied fast set epoxy, cured it, sanded and polished it, then lowered the boat onto her trolley ready for launching. All done quietly, efficiently with no sign of a headless chicken anywhere.

The sailing action commenced with the RS Cat 14 fleet of youngsters drawn from local clubs as part of the SailGP Inspire initiative before making way for the main event.  It was noticeable none of the F50 teams were risking any showboating prior to the racing, these beasts were going to be a handful even for crews at this level.

And so it proved to be earlier than I think anyone expected. Rounding the first turning mark in the first race France, China and the USA stuffed it in as the boats turned downwind and the power came on. 

France and China got away with it but whether USA were a little slower in dumping power of the little bit of wave they hit was that bit steeper was unclear but she hung there for what seemed an eternity. Will they, wont they transpired to be ‘they will’ as almost in slow motion the wingtip headed for the Western Solent with thankfully little more damage than to the beam fairing and of course pride although later on Rome Kirby played down the incident as just racing.

They were thankfully able to re-join the racing for the subsequent races. Not so Team GBR as a huge down the mine incident with the boat stopped dead resulted in the worst kind of damage, that to the crew with one of them performing a somersault that would have scored high in Olympic competition. The injuries were nowhere as severe as they might have been. A huge disappointment however for what had shown itself to a partisan crowd lining Cowes Green and Egypt Point.

I don’t intend to produce a blow by blow account of the racing but the atmosphere build up was well done except that instead of a mascot running along the beach getting people to cheer it was a helicopter side-slipping along the crowd, there was a genuine buzz with people out with their chairs on the beach, flags waving, a real sports event atmosphere and excitement and no remote prizegiving with the teams brought ashore while their support RIBs kept the boats on station in the background.

The series has had its detractors, and after being live at an event I have to say unfairly so. Their media department clearly doesn’t like Sailing Anarchy and there are anarchists who have reciprocal feelings but this series, indeed any event that raises sailing’s profile can only be good for our sport.

The Marseille final towards the end of September is the season finale with a grand prize of USD1m. Perhaps a foregone conclusion who will be in the final with two clear series leaders and the third place GBR slipping back having completed no races in Cowes and Japan having a less than sparkling day on the water but in the winner takes all match race it could all turn round as Japan has proven in a previous venue.

Am I biased? Perhaps a little but I was sitting beside a traditional sailor for the action. A Corby 25 owner who wont see retirement age again and he thought this was a wonderful thing for sailing and good to see our sport being promoted in such an exciting and dynamic way. Attendance? Hard to say except any official sales of seating or VIP visitors could easily be doubled by the numbers watching on the pebble beach in front of the grandstand.  6 weeks to the finale! – SS.

Shanks Shang !

Agree completely. Yes the event isn't perfect but neither is the AC. The best one being the AC34. The AC35 looked worse than SAILGP IMO. Despite the one-sidedness the Cowes SAILGP was exciting. The AC would have been called off otherwise would have been the same spectacle.! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

ICYMI, the dread Front Page has @shanghaisailor 's writeup of his day spectating at Cowes. It apparently was a rollicking partisan local crowd, understandably disappointed by their team's inability to continue, but enjoying the day nonetheless.

SS was apparently there with when China Team dinged on a metal bench and testifies to the obvious competence and speed of those shore team guys.

SS, I am glad you had a good time, thanks for reporting back!

The shore team were awesome - more posts later but attached is a picture of the bench that 'caught' the foil when it dropped - it was one hell of a bang!

For the doubters, I have been to Volvo Ocean Race Stopovers, Extreme Sailing Series, Olympic Medal Days, etc etc and the way they crowd were kept involved and the general atmosphere compared extremely well, oohs, aahs, flag waving, cheers and applause - they were all there.

Surprised that people cannot see that anything that shows our sport in a positive and exciting light should be applauded rather than knocked.

Perhaps it is because I have spent 17-18 years helping to develop our sport in China that I can see the benefit of these sorts of events to the profile and public awareness of our sport - make no mistake it all helps.

SS

DSC00791.JPG

• Like 4

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:56 AM, dg_sailingfan said:

Please more Sommersault Saltos from Chris Draper. That was fun :D

I can assure you it wasn't fun for Chris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, terrafirma said:

the foil dropped onto an Aluminium support bending it like paper

Shang, seriously, check it out mate, it's home handyman kit that got bent.   ahhh, never mind.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:28 PM, random said:

Frankly my dear, I just don't give a damn.

All I wanted to know was why he didn't just tell them to get fucked and go off and cover some real sailing. 

And you think anyone gives a damn about what you say? I didn't tell them to "get fucked" because the media manager (who has 2 year 1 month in sailing) is NOT the event.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

And you think anyone gives a damn about what you say?

My dear Shang, do you think I care ... if anyone gives a damn?

I just thought you should maintain some dignity, I care about your well being, that's all.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:18 PM, Mozzy Sails said:

I was there for Sunday, not in the paid sections, but in the race village area and then along at Egypt Point. 

There were tonnes of people there. Not sure what capacity they were hoping for, but I'd say it was pretty much maxed out. We sat on the beach in the race village bit, right at the finish and it was completely rammed. We could see two screens, however, the windward marks were round the point. The commentary on the loud speakers was a bit patchy and with people moving around it was hard to see the big screens all the time.  For the second race we moved up the beach to right underneath the beacon, and with the app playing and full sight of the course it was about as good a sailing viewing experience as I can imagine. 

As for the racing, well firstly, I can barely believe they raced. They had a small delay for the first start, and I was sure they'd can it. We came across on the RedJet and what is normally a pretty smooth ride in all but the most extreme weather was a bit bouncy. Basically, it was 25+ knots and the chop was still stood up from the westerly tide. 

It was obvious from how little sailing they did pre-start that they were shitting bricks. It lead to a weird mix in the crowd of the more casual viewers, who were probably expecting pre-start fly-bys and were a little perplexed by the lack of movement, and then those who had a good idea of how fruity it was out there, many having sailed earlier in the day, who sat nervously as the cats were released from their support boats. 

Race 1 start, first reach and bear away, right to the beach was one of the most incredible things I've seen sailing wise. Often even very fast boats look much slower from ashore, including the AC45, Extreme 40s and GC32s... but this was very apparently on another level. The whistling, the sound of the fine spray and groaning of the wing and foil mechanics, added to the sheer insanity of racing in that wind really did add something that I'm not sure can be appreciated through a screen. To see those boats, at those speeds, in such close proximity to one another and the shore, I just couldn't believe it was really happening. It was a spectacle. I actually felt a little ashamed I wasn't paying. 

I really enjoyed the first race between GBR, JPN and sometimes CHN. A shame AUS always looked so comfortable. Obviously it was deflating for GBR to crash out. After that there were some great moments, and all the starts were exciting. But without GBR in the mix and with AUS looking so comfortable it was hard to get as invested in the overall narrative of the races. We had moved up to the point for the 2nd and 3rd races, and the view was much better, you didn't really need the commentary or graphics from the screens from there. The crowd seemed pretty knowledgeable too, at least compared to the ACWS in Portsmouth, with people around you picking up on boats that were gaining or incidents developing elsewhere when perhaps your gaze was on another area of the course.  

It was shame with the breakages, to have GBR out, and JPN clearly 'just getting round'. Perhaps they could have added more competition to it to make it a 10/10 day out. Possibly the course could have been shifted 100m East so you could see everything from the fan zone. Then a match race at the end. But otherwise it's hard to see how it could be improved. For the cost of the ferry over it's a great day out and I think they've found a great venue / spot in the calendar.  

Great day out Mozzy, funny how those of us who were there thought it was excellent and turkeys making random statements from the other side of the world thought otherwise

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

The shore team were awesome - more posts later but attached is a picture of the bench that 'caught' the foil when it dropped - it was one hell of a bang!

And SS from the FP:

If anyone doubts the strength of these boat’s foils, new part had been fitted to the hydraulic system and when the system was switched on the foil dropped onto an Aluminium support bending it like paper and while causing some surface damage to the foil.

DSC00791.JPG

I am sorry Shang, but now you really show your ignorance, and that you had your blinkers on, holy moly !

And BTW, the Oppie racing in Scheveningen, and the Bic racing in Auckland was far more exciting than this circus act, that was geo blocked by your so called media manager, who's name is Sir Wussell Prickk.

Edited by Fiji Bitter
Sir Prick
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 3:18 AM, Mozzy Sails said:

I was there for Sunday, not in the paid sections, but in the race village area and then along at Egypt Point. 

There were tonnes of people there. Not sure what capacity they were hoping for, but I'd say it was pretty much maxed out. We sat on the beach in the race village bit, right at the finish and it was completely rammed. We could see two screens, however, the windward marks were round the point. The commentary on the loud speakers was a bit patchy and with people moving around it was hard to see the big screens all the time.  For the second race we moved up the beach to right underneath the beacon, and with the app playing and full sight of the course it was about as good a sailing viewing experience as I can imagine. 

As for the racing, well firstly, I can barely believe they raced. They had a small delay for the first start, and I was sure they'd can it. We came across on the RedJet and what is normally a pretty smooth ride in all but the most extreme weather was a bit bouncy. Basically, it was 25+ knots and the chop was still stood up from the westerly tide. 

It was obvious from how little sailing they did pre-start that they were shitting bricks. It lead to a weird mix in the crowd of the more casual viewers, who were probably expecting pre-start fly-bys and were a little perplexed by the lack of movement, and then those who had a good idea of how fruity it was out there, many having sailed earlier in the day, who sat nervously as the cats were released from their support boats. 

Race 1 start, first reach and bear away, right to the beach was one of the most incredible things I've seen sailing wise. Often even very fast boats look much slower from ashore, including the AC45, Extreme 40s and GC32s... but this was very apparently on another level. The whistling, the sound of the fine spray and groaning of the wing and foil mechanics, added to the sheer insanity of racing in that wind really did add something that I'm not sure can be appreciated through a screen. To see those boats, at those speeds, in such close proximity to one another and the shore, I just couldn't believe it was really happening. It was a spectacle. I actually felt a little ashamed I wasn't paying. 

I really enjoyed the first race between GBR, JPN and sometimes CHN. A shame AUS always looked so comfortable. Obviously it was deflating for GBR to crash out. After that there were some great moments, and all the starts were exciting. But without GBR in the mix and with AUS looking so comfortable it was hard to get as invested in the overall narrative of the races. We had moved up to the point for the 2nd and 3rd races, and the view was much better, you didn't really need the commentary or graphics from the screens from there. The crowd seemed pretty knowledgeable too, at least compared to the ACWS in Portsmouth, with people around you picking up on boats that were gaining or incidents developing elsewhere when perhaps your gaze was on another area of the course.  

It was shame with the breakages, to have GBR out, and JPN clearly 'just getting round'. Perhaps they could have added more competition to it to make it a 10/10 day out. Possibly the course could have been shifted 100m East so you could see everything from the fan zone. Then a match race at the end. But otherwise it's hard to see how it could be improved. For the cost of the ferry over it's a great day out and I think they've found a great venue / spot in the calendar.  

Nice write-up Moz. Good to hear from you first-handers.

Well, on to Marseilles.  Then in our spare AC time we can speculate about what they will do to.the boats and claim for the draw.  

I remember when I first signed up here after lurking (when forums were glitched briefly and required login). Some people thought I was a "paid poster" for SGP,  bwahaha.  

Hey maybe I am just subtle. 

But what's with "cloud credits" as pay? I don't remember that part....  ;)

8 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

I am sorry Shang, but now you really show your ignorance, and that you had your blinkers on, holy moly !

And BTW, the Oppie racing in Scheveningen, and the Bic racing in Auckland was far more exciting than this circus act, that was geo blocked by your so called media manager, who's name is Sir Wussell Prickk.

You guys are just a sad excuse for sailing fans.  You have a couple of first hand accounts of the excitement of the event and all you can do is piss on them because you see it as inferior competition to the event your favorite team is hosting.  Or because it was sponsored by the "evil" LE.  What a joke, get a life.

31 minutes ago, Herfy said:

You guys are just a sad excuse for sailing fans.  You have a couple of first hand accounts of the excitement of the event and all you can do is piss on them because you see it as inferior competition to the event your favorite team is hosting.  Or because it was sponsored by the "evil" LE.  What a joke, get a life.

No, you don't get why I think it's shit.  I like the boats, they are fun to watch.  But it has no heart or soul, the teams are not truly National teams, it is no different to any other fabricated 'Reality' tv show.

It's a traveling circus where the puppet master runs the show.

I can't watch the fucking thing if I wanted to, they actually invest is blocking viewers.  Fuck their app.  That ain't sailing.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Herfy said:

Did you watch the 3 races? 

No one is pissing on the level of excitement on the ground. The poster you quoted was STILL UNABLE TO VIEW THE FUCKING THING. 

Edit: like he said ^

Edited by barfy

@Herpy, see what Random and Barfy just said. And the event my "favourite team" is hosting is called "The America's Cup". It's a little different you know.

Oh, and Shang's foil big bang was the most exciting bit of the show, gosh, those foils are só strong! I've heard they can even lift the boats out of the water. I am a fan now! 

9 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

not MY media manager - I had no assistance or cooperation from them at all, they wouldn't even let me into the media centre to speak to a journo mate of mine.

Are all New Zealand AC fans as 'friendly' as the ones on this thread?  They are doing Auckland a disservice.  Supporters of other teams might worry that they will have the crap beaten out of them if they go to Auckland in 2021.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, nimbus said:

Are all New Zealand AC fans as 'friendly' as the ones on this thread?  They are doing Auckland a disservice.  Supporters of other teams might worry that they will have the crap beaten out of them if they go to Auckland in 2021.

Fuck off

1 hour ago, nimbus said:

How old are you, junior?? :lol:

1 hour ago, nimbus said:

Just steer clear of Marseille and the bad guy with the beard. 

french-connection-2-gene-hackman-date-1975-K369WR.jpg

15940746_255016924927491_3546957966525608287_n.jpg

Ok, seriously:

1) the Marseille event is 3 days, Fri-Sun and races start there at 2:30, 3:04, 3:33 pm I think. We do know they keep on schedule for the live coverages broadcast tv/cable window and schedule is 2:30 to 4.

This page will probably show race times where you are:

https://sailgp.com/races/marseille/

Fine breakfast fare for East Coast US, nightcap in Sydney, well Kiwis stay up late.

There are 3 practice days. As we saw in Cowes, these may be on the app and maybe streamed. 

As we have seen, how to watch gets announced closer to when they do their deals. Maybe live tv in US for once?!?

2) But more importantly, what are sailing conditions like there in late September?  I have been day sailing east of there but only in late spring. Is it very tidal?

3) Presumably the boats will be fixed up. I always wonder who got the 2 new boats. I think maybe France got one?  Their grinder tore a hamstring in Sydney, but afaik the boat has gotten stuffed but not damaged? Any clues to which are the new boats.

4) That rumor of 2 new teams. What "nations" do you think?  The Netherlands? Malta? Italy? Switzerland (gasp)? Will the forthcoming recession glitch any plans or is Larryfunding recession proof?  (Did RC get all the seasons money in escrow like I kept telling him to...)

5) Map on here would not let me clip map

https://sailgp.com/races/marseille/event-overview/

6 hours ago, barfy said:

Did you watch the 3 races? 

No one is pissing on the level of excitement on the ground. The poster you quoted was STILL UNABLE TO VIEW THE FUCKING THING. 

Edit: like he said ^

Yes, I did watch the races.

Use a free VPN to skip the geo-tag and watch them on youtube.  You can't fix stupid!

You guys are like a bunch of little kids that can't get their way so you scream, whine and insult anyone that may just enjoy watching intense sailing. 

6 hours ago, random said:

No, you don't get why I think it's shit.  I like the boats, they are fun to watch.  But it has no heart or soul, the teams are not truly National teams, it is no different to any other fabricated 'Reality' tv show.

It's a traveling circus where the puppet master runs the show.

I can't watch the fucking thing if I wanted to, they actually invest is blocking viewers.  Fuck their app.  That ain't sailing.

So a competition has to have some "heart or soul" to keep you interested?  Didn't know you were so spiritual.  The fricking AC teams are not truly National teams.  Sounds like some pretty lame excuses to stop you from seeing the "fun to watch" boats sail.  I think it has more to do with some emotional problems you have with the sponsors/leaders of SailGP.  I bet that if Oracle had won the AC you and the other fanboys would be complaining how lame that was (or at least something about how NZL was cheated out of the cup).

2 minutes ago, Herfy said:

So a competition has to have some "heart or soul" to keep you interested?  Didn't know you were so spiritual.  The fricking AC teams are not truly National teams.  Sounds like some pretty lame excuses to stop you from seeing the "fun to watch" boats sail.  I think it has more to do with some emotional problems you have with the sponsors/leaders of SailGP.  I bet that if Oracle had won the AC you and the other fanboys would be complaining how lame that was (or at least something about how NZL was cheated out of the cup).

But they didn't. I bet if NZ win this Cup you'll go on endlessly about how NZ intentionally delayed the foil arm delivery to disadvantage the other teams and give themselves an advantage on top of the already huge advantage you think they have because they wrote the class rule. 

4 hours ago, Indio said:

How old are you, junior?? :lol:

Well I joined SA in 2007 so that makes me about 12. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

But they didn't. I bet if NZ win this Cup you'll go on endlessly about how NZ intentionally delayed the foil arm delivery to disadvantage the other teams and give themselves an advantage on top of the already huge advantage you think they have because they wrote the class rule. 

I didn't say NZ intentionally delayed the foil arms.  I just said that the FckUp in the design/build hurt some of the other teams (e.g. American Magic) much more than NZ because they were not planning to launch until Aug or Sep.  Now the schedule has been changed that the design and build of the second boat will already be in progress before they even sail against the completion.

Also, weren't you one of the biggest whiners after AC34 about how the winning team cheated?  You still whine about it every chance you can.

Like I have said many times, I had always like the NZ team and I even have a NZ shirt from the 2003 cup.  Have always dreamed of visiting NZ someday.  The only negativity I have ever felt about NZ is with you whinny clowns that thump your chests like a 2 year old that just shit in the toilet instead of his pants.  Just grow up and enjoy live.  

36 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

A thing of beauty 

That is the direction they should have gone for the AC if they wanted to use monohulls.  The AC design teams could have improved them even more.

6 minutes ago, Herfy said:

The only negativity I have ever felt about NZ is with you whinny clowns that thump your chests like a 2 year old that just shit in the toilet instead of his pants.

Nothing really to add other than that's funny.

47 minutes ago, Herfy said:

I didn't say NZ intentionally delayed the foil arms.  I just said that the FckUp in the design/build hurt some of the other teams (e.g. American Magic) much more than NZ because they were not planning to launch until Aug or Sep.  Now the schedule has been changed that the design and build of the second boat will already be in progress before they even sail against the completion.

Also, weren't you one of the biggest whiners after AC34 about how the winning team cheated?  You still whine about it every chance you can.

Like I have said many times, I had always like the NZ team and I even have a NZ shirt from the 2003 cup.  Have always dreamed of visiting NZ someday.  The only negativity I have ever felt about NZ is with you whinny clowns that thump your chests like a 2 year old that just shit in the toilet instead of his pants.  Just grow up and enjoy live.  

The original plan was to launch in June. So they have seemingly penalised or hurt themselves by about 2 months.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Herfy said:

The only negativity I have ever felt about NZ is with you whinny clowns that thump your chests like a 2 year old that just shit in the toilet instead of his pants.  Just grow up and enjoy live.  

I will always "whine" about any competitor who resorts to cheating in sport. Any real sports fan would whine about cheating in any sport because it has absolutely no place in sport. Its people like you who condone cheating that are the problem.

Its ironic that you whine about the Kiwi posters calling them whiners when the only whiner here is you. "Oh the boats are unsafe blah blah blah" "no sport should be dangerous" "Any average bloke and his sailboat should be able to compete in the Ocean Race and the Americas Cup" You whine as much as your mate dg!

You idiots find anything and everything to whine about. Its amazes me that you insult people who don't condone cheating like you do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I will always "whine" about any competitor who resorts to cheating in sport. Any real sports fan would whine about cheating in any sport because it has absolutely no place in sport. Its people like you who condone cheating that are the problem.

Its ironic that you whine about the Kiwi posters calling them whiners when the only whiner here is you. "Oh the boats are unsafe blah blah blah" "no sport should be dangerous" "Any average bloke and his sailboat should be able to compete in the Ocean Race and the Americas Cup" You whine as much as your mate dg!

You idiots find anything and everything to whine about. Its amazes me that you insult people who don't condone cheating like you do.

are you sclarke?

1 hour ago, Herfy said:

That is the direction they should have gone for the AC if they wanted to use monohulls.  The AC design teams could have improved them even more.

Challenge, win it and you can do what you like!

24 minutes ago, Indio said:

Challenge, win it and you can do what you like!

and then if sclarke doesn't like what you do he'll whine for the next 5 years

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Ok, seriously:

1) the Marseille event is 3 days, Fri-Sun and races start there at 2:30, 3:04, 3:33 pm I think. We do know they keep on schedule for the live coverages broadcast tv/cable window and schedule is 2:30 to 4.

This page will probably show race times where you are:

https://sailgp.com/races/marseille/

Fine breakfast fare for East Coast US, nightcap in Sydney, well Kiwis stay up late.

There are 3 practice days. As we saw in Cowes, these may be on the app and maybe streamed. 

As we have seen, how to watch gets announced closer to when they do their deals. Maybe live tv in US for once?!?

2) But more importantly, what are sailing conditions like there in late September?  I have been day sailing east of there but only in late spring. Is it very tidal?

3) Presumably the boats will be fixed up. I always wonder who got the 2 new boats. I think maybe France got one?  Their grinder tore a hamstring in Sydney, but afaik the boat has gotten stuffed but not damaged? Any clues to which are the new boats.

4) That rumor of 2 new teams. What "nations" do you think?  The Netherlands? Malta? Italy? Switzerland (gasp)? Will the forthcoming recession glitch any plans or is Larryfunding recession proof?  (Did RC get all the seasons money in escrow like I kept telling him to...)

5) Map on here would not let me clip map

https://sailgp.com/races/marseille/event-overview/

6) Is all the boat damage the inevitable result of age and hard use or did they lighten the AC50s too much to make F50s and this made them more susceptible?

++++++++++++

Now here I have added below the obligatory photo of the greatest AZ50 ever. Gaze at it in lieu of further harping for a bit, please.

So now please talk about 1-6 above!   Thank you!!

Large_RG 041016ETNZAC45S 0151.jpeg

2 hours ago, Herfy said:

Yes, I did watch the races.

Use a free VPN to skip the geo-tag and watch them on youtube. 

Now, there’s a true supporter!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

6) Is all the boat damage the inevitable result of age and hard use or did they lighten the AC50s too much to make F50s and this made them more susceptible?

++++++++++++

Now here I have added below the obligatory photo of the greatest AZ50 ever. Gaze at it in lieu of further harping for a bit, please.

^Test boat? 2nd best ~AC50 ever. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

++++++++++++

pretty funny how you could just make rudder stacks t get yourself an ac50

interesting that more teams didn't do this

it was just ETNZ and Artemis with stocks if I remember correctly?

6 hours ago, Herfy said:

• Like heart and soul like Wrussell Vs Grant
  • Like Connor Vs Bertrand.
  • Like any State or National representative Vs the other
  • like any club member Vs the other club member
  • like competitors in the olympics

Not for money, but because they want to, have to beat the other guy, for the glory and achievement of it.  For ego and a massive pissing contest.

All the teams in the AC50 are paid well I suspect.  It's not the same.   No heart, it's business. 

The only interesting part in it all is the revenge that Larry thinks he is gaining but isn't.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, inebriated said:

are you sclarke?

You’re just figuring that out now?  Thankfully, whenever he changes his name, the ignored user list automatically updates itself. 

13 hours ago, Forourselves said:

That's a Kiwi thing. You are one of the best at that.

• Like 1

Just saw this as part of their marketing communications push. But even if artfully edited, it impressed me very much. Rome is a good manager and leader. Shows them using tape and plastic to fix the boat and keep racing for points. In 13

I think the season 1 demo derby aspect was a surprise to all, including mgmt. How will they fix that?

I hear the two new boats are GBR and Japan so breakages in pedastals can't be blames on being old. I think all the internals are new. I think the old stuff is all inside the wing sails. 

Though this was interesting showing the flight controller working the new twisty thingymajig. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Just saw this as part of their marketing communications push. But even if artfully edited, it impressed me very much. Rome is a good manager and leader. Shows them using tape and plastic to fix the boat and keep racing for points. In 13

I think the season 1 demo derby aspect was a surprise to all, including mgmt. How will they fix that?

To be fair, a lot of the damage to be repaired was the plastic film used for aerodynamics and for aiding the crew footing as they cross the boat.  So duct tape is appropriate repair.  They did lose the wind monitors and such so it had to be much more difficult to sail.

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

He's an impressive young sailor. Very calm and focused..

1 hour ago, Mozzy Sails said:

I hear the two new boats are GBR and Japan so breakages in pedastals can't be blames on being old. I think all the internals are new. I think the old stuff is all inside the wing sails. 

Though this was interesting showing the flight controller working the new twisty thingymajig. 

That rotary switch "thingymajig" is clumsy and time-consuming. Why didn't they go with a detented joystick controller? So much easier and quicker to manipulate the controlled object..

I think the opposite. I think it's much better than a joystick. Any bumps and knocks are easy to transfer to the joystick. If your shoulders are jolted forward or back it's hard not to transfer that to the joystick. With twist of the wrist the shoulders can be knocked around in all direction, but that wont impact the twist of your hand.  

It does look like on the bear away stu is struggling to get to the end of the travel on the twist though. Likes he's spinning to get to max lock but can't get there. Maybe he's just spinning in forlorn hope he has more rudder, when in fact he was long ago max max?

If it is taking too long to get to the max you think they could program in some ramping in the control. So at the centred setting the movements are fine, but then become large