Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

12 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

So there you go.

All the focus on death and destruction.  Bogan fodder.

It costs a lot pf money to get a segment on that show.

11 minutes ago, random said:

I checked on the organisation that run that award.  It's Indiantelevision.com

This award is the Scientific equivalent as the dodgy Science Journals you can use if you can't get your paper published in a good one.

It's run as a business by this guy.  I have been in reasonably big business, these awards can be 'purchased' by providing suffiicent support to the group.  It's business.

Anil Wanvari

Founder, CEO and Editor in Chief, Indiantelevision.com

Anil Wanvari, is the founder, CEO and editor in chief of the Indiantelevision.com group. He has spent more than 37 years in the media industry and is considered India's foremost analyst, consultant and catalyst for the media sector.

The Indiantelevision.com group was set up with a mission to educate, engage, entertain and enrich the audiences it serves via its various verticals .

It achieves this through its various B2B and B2C portals: indiantelevision.com (for the cable, satellite, OTT, production, advertising, marketing, media industries), tellychakkar.com (TV show and actor news for TV fans), AnimationXpress.com (for the VFX, comics, gaming, and animation segments) and radionandmusic.com (for the FM radio, digital music and music industry).

Etc.

Sorry @random but NO.

It is the https://show.ibc.org/2019-awards-winners

International Broadcasting Convention, which just had its big show.

https://show.ibc.org/welcome

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Broadcasting_Convention

10 minutes ago, random said:

So there you go.

Wow. That Artemis segment is exploitative.  Hedging context to carry on if there ever is a SGP disaster, looks like.

Fuck.

5 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Wow. That Artemis segment is exploitative.  Hedging context to carry on if there ever is a SGP disaster, looks like.

Fuck.

Well I thought it was a bit sick.  A veiled inference that bogans should watch it because someone could die again.  Blood sports.  Focusing on knives in the safety equipment etc etc.

But you see the sailing is not enough for these people.  Enter a screaming women.  They had to center the story around the rivalry of two people and talk up the danger by calling it the ghost of Bart.

6 hours ago, random said:

So there you go.

No, they did a great job for the masses.  And it wasn’t a paid placement.

23 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

BTW, that's Alain Thébault's  (of Hydroptère fame] new project.

Seems to have a fight on his hands with the authorities, as well as his partner Anders Bringdal (ex wiindsurf world champion).

https://lexpansion.lexpress.fr/actualite-economique/bataille-navale-autour-des-sea-bubbles_2097838.amp.html

Nice pick F.B !

I just have to wonder whether a Sea Bubble will stay rotting on a mooring on the Seine for ages now ..... :)))

1 hour ago, Teaky said:

Thrive PR work for free? 

21 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Thrive PR work for free? 

No, but are you suggesting Thrive paid Ch7?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Teaky said:

No, but are you suggesting Thrive paid Ch7?

No, but are you suggesting that's what @random meant?

You pay a lot of money for a PR firm with the right 'access' to be able to pitch the story to a news tabloid like Sunday.

Seven 'realise' the 'value' in many ways ;-)

1 hour ago, Teaky said:

You got something to confirm that?

14 minutes ago, random said:

You got something to confirm that?

Just knowledge and experience.

6 minutes ago, Teaky said:

Just knowledge and experience.

Nothing then?

TV broadcasters attempt to earn revenue from every second of broadcast. 

Of course SailGP didn't request coverage, and production costs were never discussed.

WelloffPeacefulAurochs-size_restricted.g

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, random said:

Nothing then?

TV broadcasters attempt to earn revenue from every second of broadcast. 

Of course SailGP didn't request coverage, and production costs were never discussed.

WelloffPeacefulAurochs-size_restricted.g

You keep doing what you do, I’ll do what I do.

8 minutes ago, Teaky said:

No offense intended, but you want me to accept what someone in advertising says?

3 hours ago, Teaky said:

Good luck there Teaky. And mind that hand! Heh.

I just received the FTP server data for the B-rolls, interviews etc. from Marseille, but I am not allowed to post the content unless "... by news agencies/broadcasters for Permitted News Reporting in relation to the SAIL GP in news/sports bulletins and topical sports highlights programmes..."
Is this place here a "news/sports bulletin"?

I did something similar for the VOR last time, and never got into trouble. But it was the friendly, accomodating and  inclusive VOR, and not our rather off-putting "friends" at SailGP. Hmmmmm...

44 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

I just received the FTP server data for the B-rolls, interviews etc. from Marseille, but I am not allowed to post the content unless "... by news agencies/broadcasters for Permitted News Reporting in relation to the SAIL GP in news/sports bulletins and topical sports highlights programmes..."

I did something similar for the VOR last time, and never got into trouble. But it was the friendly, accomodating and  inclusive VOR, and not our rather off-putting "friends" at SailGP. Hmmmmm...

Shouldn't you ask SailGP that question?

5 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

I'd post it up,any positive news is good for them. Especially now that SD has kinda soured and is tainting the brand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Post it, what have you got to lose?

I have been in touch with them about race data files and while they didn’t give me the download link they (she) was perfectly friendly in suggesting to use the app as the best way to see the analyses. 

SailGP is well equipped but the media staff is nowhere near AC sized!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Well, it's a bulletin board so  we must qualify to publish their data..:P

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

(she) was perfectly friendly in suggesting to use the app as the best way to see the analyses. 

Use the app.Use the app.Use the app.Use the app.Use the app.Use the app.Use the app.Use the app.

Use the app.Use the app.Use the app.Use the app.Use the app.Use the app.Use the app.Use the app.

and hand over your personal details to the highest bidder and get your account spammed relentlessly during the AC.

Edit: Given what these people are up to, that is the last app I would trust on my phone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

It may be the best sailing app ever produced, can you point to a better one?

Can you point me at another supposedly major sailing event that I can't fucking watch on my computer?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, random said:

Can you point me at another supposedly major sailing event that I can't fucking watch on my computer?

I don’t have that problem, thankfully!

The SailGP is terrific, wish it worked for you too.

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

I don’t have that problem, thankfully!

The SailGP is terrific, wish it worked for you too.

Nice deflection, didn't work.

I've been geoblocked on any attempts to see anything except pathetic cameo youtube promos.

The organisers can go and get fucked with their personal details harvesting policy.  If this was the AC I would care enough to bother.  But for this circus, no, it's not worth it.

Smack's behaviour here was the final straw, now you are joining the disingenuous conga line.

their personal details harvesting policy.”

Is that any different from most apps? 

People who know my real name and Google it find basically nothing, I’m concerned a little about privacy too but there are ways to still enjoy the show.

23 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

their personal details harvesting policy.”

Is that any different from most apps? 

Who the fuck knows?  That's the point isn't it?

But this one has 'feeling' behind it, retribution, revenge.

That makes me more cautious.  I'm not going near the fucker.

Think about it, if the company was really interested in promotion, what better tool than youtube?  It's free, everyone can use it on any device.  But NO! 

WHY WOULD THAT BE?

45 minutes ago, random said:

Smack's behaviour here was the final straw, now you are joining the disingenuous conga line.

Give slack to Smack, he has his style and love sailgp, you even go on his thread to troll him.

9 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Renn -  For sure, this outlet is a site showing "news/sports bulletins and topical sports highlights ...."   That much is clear.

The killer caution is "Permitted News Reporting"   I take it you don't have written permission.

So your choice is to hold back, seek permission, or  press ahead and publish. At worst you might get a caution or slap on the wrist. But please don't ask me to interpret the machinations of Sir Rusty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, random said:

You can do better than that.  Use the app and port its excellent content to your video screen.

5 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

You can do better than that.  Use the app and port its excellent content to your video screen.

Fuck that, not going near that fucker.

There are reasons we are being made to use it, and I don't like them.

Ha, some sense of humour about Stu's role on the boat!  I can just picture Gotrel and Mason in the gym on the grinding pedestals whilst Stu sits in the corner on his 'bopit' toy for 3 year olds!   

Looks like I can watch the live broadcast at half past midnight Sat morning (NZ time), or even better, delayed coverage at 10am the same day.

WAIT A MINUTE - looks like I need to sign up to a minimum $60 per month/per annum subscription service I don't want.

Fuck you Sail GP. I really enjoy this series but I cannot afford it.

Will catch a few snippets on FB next week.

7 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

1 hour ago, random said:

Fuck that, not going near that fucker.

There are reasons we are being made to use it, and I don't like them.

The Live on the app is geo-blocked too, and using a VPN makes the download too slow.  I say, gangbang the fuckers! 

Now, if only they would put up a bit of a show (without the Artemis bit):

40 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

The Live on the app is geo-blocked too, and using a VPN makes the download too slow. 

It has been designed this way.  They do not need an audience, just controlled messages from them.

It might as well be a game, in cyberspace, maybe it is?

They have run interference on anyone who does not bend over and be butt fucked for all their personal information first.

Cunts!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Ha, some sense of humour about Stu's role on the boat!  I can just picture Gotrel and Mason in the gym on the grinding pedestals whilst Stu sits in the corner on his 'bopit' toy for 3 year olds!   

What did you do on the sailing boat daddy?

Oh I was the ride height computer.  I sat in a hole and twiddled knobs.  I had to do it so that Larry did not have to use Herbie.

Practice racing in Marseille very light. Pretty setting. Caught a bit of it. But at least it is on YT hope not geoblocked. 

Aussie boat has some shifting around Kyle is under the weather. 

Also a presser, did not watch.

• Like 1

Thanks all (except one) for your well-meant advice. I will try my best, but have already issues with getting into the system - could be my firewall or router :-(.
Let's see if I can do anything. If not, well, we still have our main cheerleader to to point us to the available SailGP news.

54 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I've read through the first 12 Pages of this Thread and @Forourselves claims it was and I quote him "Unsportsmanlike Conduct by Larry Ellison & Russell Coutts to create SailGP".

That is quite something to say.

Yes, I did. And I still think it is. Your point? By the way, dg, I see you've gone and spent a lot of time downvoting me while trolling the AC threads lol

• Like 1

That last race, GBR doing 24 knots in 4.5 knots true wind... incredible! Is that the most efficient sailing boat outside of ice yachts? In terms of boat V true wind speed? To me that's more impressive than the 50 knot barrier.  Would the AC50s have been capable of that?

Who won the practice races today and what’s the forecast for the weekend? There’s a $M on the line between the Nate and Slinger boats in the finale on Sunday, right? I hope it’s a cracker!

10 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

That last race, GBR doing 24 knots in 4.5 knots true wind... incredible! Is that the most efficient sailing boat outside of ice yachts? In terms of boat V true wind speed? To me that's more impressive than the 50 knot barrier.  Would the AC50s have been capable of that?

I hadn't seen that. The ac50's had terrible angles in that light air. Like negative vmg on a beam reach, at least to get up.

I only watched the last one which GBR won in touch and go foiling conditions, embedded above. I saw a little of the first and it looked really really light.

Forecast for weekend is looking strong. Lots of chat in the presser about missing racing. 

Re: disparagements

I truly doubt anyone running or funding SailGP gives a rat's ass what any of us think. They have the masses and now the egamers to monetize. 

10 minutes ago, barfy said:

I hadn't seen that. The ac50's had terrible angles in that light air. Like negative vmg on a beam reach, at least to get up.

VMG was 7 knots when up and going, which is very impressive still, but they were doing negative VMG after the gybe to keep it flying. 

I was wondering if we'd see upwind gybes like the moths, considering the obvious moth experience in the fleet. 

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Mozzy Sails
screenshots
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Thanks all (except one) for your well-meant advice. I will try my best, but have already issues with getting into the system - could be my firewall or router

source.gif

As usual, fuck it!  I’ll wait until it pops up on YouTube, it’s only a fucking boat race after all. 

Definitely not worth messing around with apps for. 

The Rugby World Cup starts tomorrow, much easier to find and watch. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, barfy said:

The ac50's had terrible angles in that light air. Like negative vmg on a beam reach, at least to get up.

Negative vmg from those guys on the F50 ? you should avoid making an idiot of yourself when trolling mainly when you can read the figures.

27 minutes ago, mad said:

As usual, fuck it!  I’ll wait until it pops up on YouTube, it’s only a fucking boat race after all. 

Definitely not worth messing around with apps for. 

The Rugby World Cup starts tomorrow, much easier to find and watch. 

Your lot have the brutal Tongans first up...

Just now, Indio said:

Your lot have the brutal Tongans first up...

If only the RFU had funded them properly so the whole team could have turned up. 

NZ v SA is the game for the weekend. 

The last race is on Youtube:

For those who are geoblocked I use Tunnelbear to modify my VPN and locate it in northern america where I set it, then I use it in Europe. Don't know if you can do it but you can try the free version.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mad said:

If only the RFU had funded them properly so the whole team could have turned up. 

What’s the betting line?

27 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Negative vmg from those guys on the F50 ? you should avoid making an idiot of yourself when trolling mainly when you can read the figures.

So mozzy just said they had negative vmg to keep on the foils after a gybe. I included the post below for you. That's what happened in the AC (and it's associated run up races) when the wind was sub 6 kt. When you're on a beam reach your vmg ain't that good for the upwind/downwind.

Try Google translate, might enhance your comprehension.

Or take it up with mozzy angry little man.

1 hour ago, Mozzy Sails said:

VMG was 7 knots when up and going, which is very impressive still, but they were doing negative VMG after the gybe to keep it flying. 

17 minutes ago, mad said:

Yep, and at a reasonable time as well at 10pm NZT tomorrow night. But the more important match is the one earlier at 7:15pm-NZT between Argentina and France which will determine who goes through behind England from that pool - I'm picking the Pumas to beat the French.

39 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

And really, the difference in posts tc is: I didn't say "I know the reason for the poor vmg is that fail gp optimized their gear to try and hit 50 knots."

I didn't say that cause I have no fucking idea where their gear is modded towards. 

You on the other hand come out with shit like that all the time....Like seeing TeAihe do the dolphin whilst on tow, and proclaiming that the etnz simulations must be fucked up.

See???

53 minutes ago, mad said:

Yeah I don't give a shit about watching it live, or who wins it for that matter. Only mildly curious about the whole event. Even the tow testing of a 75 is more interesting.

Just now, Horn Rock said:

Yeah I don't give a shit about watching it live, or who wins it for that matter. Only mildly curious about the whole event. Even the tow testing of a 75 is more interesting.

Yeah for some reason the prize makes it boring to me somehow. I may watch some live and then app replays. The French do seem to be doing better, glad for them.

9 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Yeah for some reason the prize makes it boring to me somehow.

A Gold steering wheel? I wonder what genius came up with that?

Actually they get their team engraved on the brand new giant Newe Mug that RC commissioned and unveiled in NYC.

yysw253334.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Actually they get their team engraved on the brand new giant Newe Mug that RC commissioned and unveiled in NYC.

yysw253334.jpg

Which of these guys qualify to sail for any US AC team (apart from Kirby) on residency?

So here is a better photo of the: Newe Mug,  Nouveau Mug, Cup of Gall, Spite Cup.

I think it is officially the Sail Grand Prix Championship Trophy.  It's  silver and gold and cost a bundle. The winner gets to hold it but not clear if they get to take it home for the year or if management keeps it safe.

https://www.thomaslyte.com/the-sail-grand-prix-championship-trophy/p

new-york-united-states-20th-june-2019-championship-trophy-unveiling-for-sailgp-during-press-conferen-e-credit-lev-radinpacific-pressalamy-live-news-TWJYC3.thumb.jpg.56fc532e762ef23e7fe275e1f70165e7.jpg

33 minutes ago, Indio said:

Which of these guys qualify to sail for any US AC team (apart from Kirby) on residency?

Slingsby has a US passport (his mother is American)

23 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

So here is a better photo of the: Newe Mug,  Nouveau Mug, Cup of Gall, Spite Cup.

I think it is officially the Sail Grand Prix Championship Trophy.  It's  silver and gold and cost a bundle. The winner gets to hold it but not clear if they get to take it home for the year or if management keeps it safe.

https://www.thomaslyte.com/the-sail-grand-prix-championship-trophy/p

new-york-united-states-20th-june-2019-championship-trophy-unveiling-for-sailgp-during-press-conferen-e-credit-lev-radinpacific-pressalamy-live-news-TWJYC3.thumb.jpg.56fc532e762ef23e7fe275e1f70165e7.jpg

:D

Love the humor

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Based on what is it an "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" to create such a beautiful, exciting Sailing Series? You have no evidence. SailGP has it's own brand and isn't related to the AC. Ellison & Coutts would have created SailGP no matter what.

The ESS & GC32 were pretty outdated. The GC32 had no TV Coverage at all and the ESS had TV Coverage only for two Days so I'm glad SailGP was created.

Your claim still is that without SailGP more Teams would have joined the AC but you have no evidence & proof to back that up.

You should admit the Reason the AC only has 3 or 4 Challengers is because of the complex AC 75 Design Concept.

Based on the fact that it uses technology, personnel, equipment and likenesses which originated from the AC, while at the same time asserting the fake rhetoric that it wants to be "different" to the Americas Cup.

Also based on the fact that it exists purely because Larry Ellison lost the Americas Cup in Bermuda. If Oracle had've won the AC, the Framework Agreement would have been enacted and the SailGP brand would never have existed.

Also based on the fact that SailGP is run by Russell Coutts and funded by Larry Ellison. Two former Americas Cup winners who for so long, while holding the Americas Cup pushed the notion of "Sustainability of the Americas Cup" yet as soon as Oracle lost the Cup, no longer wanted to be associated with the Americas Cup at all. And still have not yet proved SailGP is sustainable past Larrys funding.

I will freely admit this AC design is complex, thats what makes it great! The 75's have only been out of the shed a couple of days and are already providing more excitement in the sailing (and non-sailing) world than SailGP ever has! Seeing those beasts being towed around, dissecting the innovations and technology advancements is far more intriguing than watching the F50's, and there's still another 2 boats to come! 

I would rather have 3 independent, strong challengers all with a chance of, and intent on winning, with their own programs, their own budgets and their own sponsors, then a bunch of dependent, fake "National teams" parading around in small, cheap imitation beach cats pretending to represent their countries while all being paid from the same bank account and backed by the same guy.

And by the way, if you're going to say anything about the Stars + Stripes and ETNZ collaboration being like the Oracle SBTJ partnership, remember, SBTJ never had any issues getting to the Cup, they had Larry's backing and the same group of sponsors that Oracle had. I highly doubt we will see Emirates, Omega, Toyota, Genesis or Kiwibank plastered all over the Stars + Stripes Soft wing! If, in fact they do make it, because you know, they have to find their OWN money.

Oh and by the way, that bank account that pays the SailGP bills, is coincidentally the same bank account that the $1 million prize will also be paid out of.

• Like 1

First race starting. Graphics say 7 knots of breeze, but to my eye it looks a little fresher, maybe 10-15 knots. Aus have their wing trimmer back after Langford missed training through illness. 

Tight start, france nails it though and is first in to the mark with the low line and option to gybe out... which they do, and drop off the foils... ouch

• Like 1

Second beat JPN lay after one tack, but then both do a quick gybe. GBR and AUS do the each tack, but then only have a straight bear away to be on the long downwind gybe. 

US have board damage... JPN stretching out, but AUS and GBR get through FRA.... big gust coming down the course, with lots more pressure at the leeward marks. 

FRA and CHN aren't letting go however, and the 5 boats still racing are all racing... JPN over stand the lay and look like they may have let AUS back in. But then AUS overlay the last windward before the reach in to teh finish... no sure if there was confusion in the AUS boat about when the finish was... GBR in third. FRA, then CHN. 

Very short first race!

• Like 1

Super close in race two, four boats really in it up the beat. CHN leading after a cracking downwind. 

AUS overtake JPN up the beat sneaking through to the right hand mark... JPN take the generally less favoured left mark as GBR duck them and follow the Aussies out left down the run.  

True wind reading around 15 knots on the graphics. Downwind boatspeed of mid thirties. 

AUS have  decent lead as last leeward gate... CHN an extra guide but still in 2nd. GBR and JPN neck and neck... close cross... GBR cross in to the gate as JPN lose another position and compound the losses with a downspeed mark rounding....

Final beat now... AUS, CHN, then GBR all very close... AUS tack and clear but GBR look like then have a piece of CHN if they tack...

CHN went right to layline, GBR try to tack on CHN lee bow, but CHN go in to a low mode early to try and roll GBR before GBR can get up to speed and squeeze them... it's a proper drag race... AUS look safe, except, they just tack well under lay, doing extra manoeuvres for sure...

And oooo CHN penalty and have conceded a penalty to GBR which occurred off screen. AUS cruise in to finish... you can hear Dylan moaning about CHN on the coms but it's not clear what happened.  

AUS, GBR, CHN, then JPN a way back just in front of FRA.

This breakage for US is costing them the podium overall. 

US out for race 3, but those two missed races have dropped them back to 4th overall... breeze up to 19 knots for this final race.  Marseilles looks really fantastic.

Pre-race graphics still say 7 knots... must be a glitch as true wind speed on all boats reading 15-20.

JPN and AUS back in to pre-start games. AUS have time to kill, and kill it they do. JPN come charging from behind. It's a foot race between the top two for teh first mark! JPN are inside and gybe first... looks like most are over the boundary, but no penalties. 

The early gybe looks to have JPN out front, but they're not laying the leeward gate. JPN have to gybe to the right hand gate and as a result JPN and AUS round simultaneously. CHN 3rd, GBR 4th and US 5th as FRA screw up another manoeuvre and drop back to last position. 

Now on the first beat... my app has GBR doing 28 knots upwind in 13 knots, with a VMG of 17... A VMG above windspeed upwind is impressive!

GBR get through CHN, but then pick up a boundary penalty... as JPN and AUS trade tacks upwind. AUS do a horrible tack around the left hand windward mark and drop off the foils and let the JPN right through. Costly! CHN let through GBR at the mark and it's still tight down the 2nd run. 

Brits are hauling down the run, right back in to AUS and JPN, who are probably only concerned with one another. 

JPN round final leeward with a decent lead, AUS follow them round as the brits split and take the opposite gate with one less gybe. 

Final beat... Shirley says she fancies the left, bu the brits are doing 30 knots out right with AUS and JPN only 25 out left... and GBR cross the Aussies, nathan will like that!

The course has shifted significantly (myabe why the graphics were off on first run) but it means a superyacht is right in the middle of the course and forces an extra tack out of AUS, but despite the issues then crawl past GBR back in to 2nd. 

JPN reach down the course to sit on AUS as GBR are left to do their own thing. Slingsby tacks out as Nath smacks one straight on his face. Aus have a tight lay and drop back as JPN accelerate to the finish. Aussies are caught slow at the final mark and are almost caught by the brits, but they managed to get back up to speed in time to hold them off. 

JPN, AUS, GBR, FRA, CHN, USA. 

JPN didn't have comms in race two... both AUS and JPN complaining of lack of hydraulic pressure... lots of manoeuvres on this short course.

Pretty entertaining day of racing. 

• Like 1

Good commentary, @Mozzy Sails thanks.

Would love to see pump data for all the boats. Do they just need better pumps/cooling or is it a matter of making best use of capacity? AUS was saying "no oil" last race and pumps were overheated.

Funny, the app has left a hot mic on and the local guys are live. Not sure they know it ;)

Hoping for a Billy Bush moment. ;) Aw, they realized..

PS was there a livestream in US on YT and FB? Could not get either. Just app.

That was great. A perfect way to waste an hour at work!

Actually, the commentary was so improved, that I could just listen to it on my headphones while doing other work and just hop over to the feed when appropriate. 

SailGP is a great product. I hope the popularity grows. 

7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Based on the fact that it uses technology, personnel, equipment and likenesses which originated from the AC, while at the same time asserting the fake rhetoric that it wants to be "different" to the Americas Cup.

Also based on the fact that it exists purely because Larry Ellison lost the Americas Cup in Bermuda. If Oracle had've won the AC, the Framework Agreement would have been enacted and the SailGP brand would never have existed.

Also based on the fact that SailGP is run by Russell Coutts and funded by Larry Ellison. Two former Americas Cup winners who for so long, while holding the Americas Cup pushed the notion of "Sustainability of the Americas Cup" yet as soon as Oracle lost the Cup, no longer wanted to be associated with the Americas Cup at all. And still have not yet proved SailGP is sustainable past Larrys funding.

I will freely admit this AC design is complex, thats what makes it great! The 75's have only been out of the shed a couple of days and are already providing more excitement in the sailing (and non-sailing) world than SailGP ever has! Seeing those beasts being towed around, dissecting the innovations and technology advancements is far more intriguing than watching the F50's, and there's still another 2 boats to come! 

I would rather have 3 independent, strong challengers all with a chance of, and intent on winning, with their own programs, their own budgets and their own sponsors, then a bunch of dependent, fake "National teams" parading around in small, cheap imitation beach cats pretending to represent their countries while all being paid from the same bank account and backed by the same guy.

And by the way, if you're going to say anything about the Stars + Stripes and ETNZ collaboration being like the Oracle SBTJ partnership, remember, SBTJ never had any issues getting to the Cup, they had Larry's backing and the same group of sponsors that Oracle had. I highly doubt we will see Emirates, Omega, Toyota, Genesis or Kiwibank plastered all over the Stars + Stripes Soft wing! If, in fact they do make it, because you know, they have to find their OWN money.

Oh and by the way, that bank account that pays the SailGP bills, is coincidentally the same bank account that the $1 million prize will also be paid out of.

This is comedy gold. Pretty psychotic and somewhat sad - but funny nonetheless.

"Seeing those beasts being towed around..." Wow.

Sound back. Fan question: does shape of sails change during a race?

Well, they have new to wingsail fans. Outreach. QED

Nice summary of twist and camber by J and S. 

Ah, even radical, discontinuous innovations eventually become incremental. 

Those AC75s are rad now.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

USA Team support did great fixing the foil mechanism on the water.

They raced after the one they had to retire from? Cool